No Rewind?

Okay TT you fixed the curvature of the QTE arrows like I asked, now I can tell which direction I need to press. But now you took away the rewind feature? What blasphemy is this? I like seeing every out come right then and there, now I have to replay the entire episode again and again to see the different choices and dialogue. That's nuts!! please fix this.

Comments

• It certainly would be nice if they added it back in for this game. If it's not possible, then I hope it's there for future games.

• Can't hold RT to walk faster either :(

• edited August 2016

I'm starting to feel this new engine is more of a down grade than a improvement.

Telltale sacrificed some of their basic options such as texture graphic setting (between low, medium, high, and Utlra) and rewind for this new Engine.

From what i've seen so far this new Engine has a bit too much restrictions on ability to rewind the game (probably a issue the new engine can't handle Rewind) and requiring the game to be always set in ultra texture graphics due to lack of texture graphic option as part of the new Engine's issues.

The only real benefit I see with the new Engine is that the graphics can now be more smoother in looks but to sacrifice such basic options such as Rewind and Graphic Texture making it always stuck on Ultra texture graphics is more of a step back than forward.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

I don't think you can pin either of these on the engine, really. They seem more like deliberate choices by Telltale themselves, although whether they were for better or for worse is... debatable, to say the least.

EdwinL posted: »

I'm starting to feel this new engine is more of a down grade than a improvement. Telltale sacrificed some of their basic options such as

• No rewind is in my opinion definitely for the worse. Not to mention I can't even exit the credits and return to the main menu without shutting down the entire program and restarting the game.

• edited August 2016

it rather a bad choice if you ask me since it has backfired currently by preventing a lot players from playing the game due to being unable to handle the Ultra texture setting and not just on the PC version as it seem to affect PS4 players as well slightly due to frame rate jumping due to certain points in the game where it is Texture heavy and when it is not texture heavy.

I hope telltale patch into the game Texture Graphic options so players with computers or other type of systems that can't handle Ultra setting can begin playing the game.

The use of Texture setting for graphic in games as a standard graphic option after all is due to how not everyone can handle a Ultra graphic setting in certain games.

Rewind is also a feature in past Telltale games that has been very useful for players so they don't have to replay the entire episode but only to a point where they want to change something.

Deltino posted: »

I don't think you can pin either of these on the engine, really. They seem more like deliberate choices by Telltale themselves, although whether they were for better or for worse is... debatable, to say the least.

• Hopefully telltale see the complaints and add it back. I might have missed a bit of dialogue about the batmobile and suit when you're first in the cave. Many won't care about missing 1 or 2 lines but i do.

• Removing the rewind option is a decision I really cannot understand. This issue and the lackluster performance are marring my experience, I think I'll put the game on hold until these things are fixed. I am not too keen on spoling my first run. :-(

• edited August 2016

Deliberate choices from telltale? If that's the case that is fucking stupid. "Lets not allow people to optimize the game through different graphic options or resolution, lets also lie about the specs and require you to have a super computer to run the game at fucking 30!". Thanks!

Deltino posted: »

• They've taken the rewind out for a very simple reason. They want people to play the story, and have the story play out with their first choice. That's why there's a time limit. It's emotive game playing, giving you a limited time to pick an option, so sometimes you won't pick the 'right' one. Just like real life.
    Going back and seeing every option wasn't how they wanted their games to be played.
    Yes it may be annoying, but it means you get the true experience, going with your first choice. I've never used the rewind, and I've been playing TT games since TWD. I've always just had alternative play-throughs to see the other options

• edited August 2016

You say that's a true experience, but not for me. I have always picked apart each part of each episode to see everything on my first go around. That's fun for me. Playing the episode once with my first choice and waiting for the next isn't fun. I bought the game, I think I should be able to enjoy it the way I want to. Not have the way I play be dictated by an imaginary rule set.

Rewind helped me see all the dialogue, and pick what I like. Crafting a story as I go along. That's how I play, it was fun. Now I'm stuck in a world of tedium, replaying the episode over and over.

ALIENANGIE posted: »

They've taken the rewind out for a very simple reason. They want people to play the story, and have the story play out with their first choi

• But that's not how real life works. You can't go back and pick the best answer. They want these games to play as if you were living them.

MosesARose posted: »

You say that's a true experience, but not for me. I have always picked apart each part of each episode to see everything on my first go arou

• Who cares if he rewinds or not?

He can play how he wants, you can do the same, and everyone's happy.

A'ight?

But that's not how real life works. You can't go back and pick the best answer. They want these games to play as if you were living them.

• Well, it's not real life. It's a game, so I intend to play it as such. I don't care how they want me to play it, I should be able to play the game I paid for how I like. The way they want it to be played isn't fun.

I don't play their games as if I'm the character. I like crafting a story for those characters picking the option I'd believe they say the most. That was fun.

But that's not how real life works. You can't go back and pick the best answer. They want these games to play as if you were living them.

• Well that should be your first option then. No need to rewind

Well, it's not real life. It's a game, so I intend to play it as such. I don't care how they want me to play it, I should be able to play th

• I don't give a shit how he plays. I'm explaining why they took out the rewind function. It was detrimental as to how they perceived the game should be played

Who cares if he rewinds or not? He can play how he wants, you can do the same, and everyone's happy. A'ight?

• edited August 2016

Makes sense and it's a conclusion I arrived at myself, alongside them possibly not having enough time to add it into the upgraded engine. It's what I'd do as well if I was writing an interactive story, particularly one that's serious and is designed to make you think/feel rather than simply entertain. The feature was missing from Until Dawn as well, which definitely made sense there with it being a horror game and characters being able to die. It was from a different company too, so there were no expectations on my end if I'd bought it without researching it much.

But what doesn't make sense really is there's been quite a few games since TWD S1. They've waited till now to take it out. With having the feature since TWD S1, I just kind of miss it, and it wouldn't have been bad if it had only been present in 1 - 2 games. There was no communication either, though I guess they didn't need to communicate it.

They've taken the rewind out for a very simple reason. They want people to play the story, and have the story play out with their first choi

• Seems to me that you contradicted yourself by saying "Going back and seeing every option wasn't how they wanted their games to be played" and then saying "I've always just had alternative play thorughs to see the others options".

Last time I checked there were no alternative real lifethroughs.

• edited August 2016

I think what AlienAngie means is they don't want you constantly rewinding to change every little thing or to quickly exhaust every option. It makes it more likely you'll live with your mistakes as you'll have to go through the entire episode again, until you start over with another save-file for alternate choices, rather than giving you the ability to rewind at pretty much any point (thus negating the impact of some choices if you make a mistake, as an example).

Again, it makes sense from a story-telling perspective, but I miss it as everyone else who does who misses it.

Wigams posted: »

Seems to me that you contradicted yourself by saying "Going back and seeing every option wasn't how they wanted their games to be played" an

• edited August 2016

Well I never found it fun that way. I like knowing all the choices and dialogue. It never exhausted the choices for me. Because when I found the choices I like I stick with those choices each time I replay. What's exhausting is now I have to replay the episode over and over to pick everything apart.

Rob_K posted: »

I think what AlienAngie means is they don't want you constantly rewinding to change every little thing or to quickly exhaust every option. I

• edited August 2016

I agree with you. Or rather, I miss it as much as others do.

Sorry if that didn't come across in my previous post. I know there were mistakes at the end so it might not have been too clear, but I'm trying to cut down on the editing front. Really never knew that editing posts spams people with notifications.

Well I never found it fun that way. I like knowing all the choices and dialogue. It never exhausted the choices for me. Because when I found

• edited August 2016

How would I know which option I like before I know them all? Example from batman: there was a few when your speaking with Alfred. You can say "the criminals in Gotham need something to fear" or "That's the point" and there's another option that I didn't care for. Looking at the choices my first playthrough I thought "The criminals in Gotham need something to fear" felt right.

But I was wrong. Because the choices you choose aren't a full representation of what Bruce will say, players don't get the full picture. Playing through my second time, because I couldn't just rewind to figure this out, I realized the option "That's the point" was a more thought out dialogue choice. I didn't pick this my first go around because I didn't know the full extent until I heard Bruce actually deliver the line.

Well that should be your first option then. No need to rewind

• Exactly. I play the game through my gut and my heart. Pick what I instinctively feel is the one right choice. And play the game through. When I'm done, for curiosities sake. I play through again picking different options. Therefore I play each game at least 4 times

I think what AlienAngie means is they don't want you constantly rewinding to change every little thing or to quickly exhaust every option. I

• I knew what he mean't. I have a Canon playthrough too. I never change the choices in one of my save files.

I just don't understand why they removed the "chapter select". I mean I can't really think of any games off the top of my head that don't have a chapter select option.

• I'll just say that maybe soon you're going to run into something where you accidentally click the wrong choice in your alternative playthrough (as in the choice from your canon) near the end of an episode and now you won't be able to just select "Chapter 6" and make the choice you wanted. You'll have to play the entire thing over again just because you misclicked.

Exactly. I play the game through my gut and my heart. Pick what I instinctively feel is the one right choice. And play the game through. Whe

• Nope, Ive done that before and I just grin and bear it. Sometimes that's the only choice I want.

Wigams posted: »

I'll just say that maybe soon you're going to run into something where you accidentally click the wrong choice in your alternative playthrou

• IRL i don't f**k up my choice because they are not clear enough.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.