I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere(Telltale on Mac)

This story says that Telltale is porting their titles to Mac.

The rundown:

-The titles will start coming out for Mac "in a few weeks", demonstration on February 11th at MacWorld Expo

-Buy the title once to get a license for both operating systems

-The games will be released in this order: Tales of Monkey Island will launch first, Sam & Max will launch in several weeks, and the others will be out in the next few months.

-No ports for Bone or Texas Hold 'Em

Comments

• edited January 2010
    I read that too :)
    It confirms the rumors I’ve told about here… and it’s very great news :)

It will also let them think of adapting their licenses for the iPad (the thing you hate so much), almost painlessly. So much good things to come, I can’t wait :)
  • edited February 2010
    I really, really hope, that licenses already purchased for PC episodes, will allow as Mac-users to download Mac-versions without additional cost. That is, if this rumor is true.
  • edited February 2010
    Crossover has once again lost purpose for me with this news, if they make the licenses work both ways. so my Q is, are they using Cider?
  • edited February 2010
    Why are they bothering to make it for Mac? It's such a small portion of the market and the majority of Mac users are wanky arts students.
  • edited February 2010
    Fury wrote: »
    Why are they bothering to make it for Mac? It's such a small portion of the market and the majority of Mac users are wanky arts students.

………or *nix developers ;)

But with that post I post this warning:

Misc-Buckle_up.gif
  • edited February 2010
    Fury wrote: »
    People have been asking for Mac versions since Culture Shock, and there are a good number of Mac enthusiasts at Telltale. With it being a relatively easy port too, it was a matter of time before they got around to it.
  • edited February 2010
    If you're going to hear confirmation, it'll be between Tuesday and Friday (inclusive). As of right now, take it with a grain of salt.

I've known about this for a little under a month, and again: it's just rumor at this point.
  • edited February 2010
    So, you can download Telltale games you already own for Mac? Awesome! This means I will actually start buying games online instead of just waiting for random giveaways! :D

Edit: Thank you so much TTG! I have been waiting for this since... well, since my Crossover Games trial expired.
  • edited February 2010
    If this is true, then, then, TellTale will go from my favorite company ever to... to... THE BEST THING EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE.
  • edited February 2010
    It's Mac|Life where it was posted, I'd say it's pretty reliable, I mean, it was when it was still MacAddict
  • edited February 2010
    YES YES YES!!!!! TELLTALE GAMES IS MY SAVIOR!!! I have a personal MacBook laptop, which I use for everything except games and a PC at my dad's house which I play everything on. It'll be nice to take my favorite games with me now! Thank you TTG!!!
  • edited February 2010
    Bone isn't going to be ported? what? isn't it already done?
    that was already released by vanbrio in conjunction with ttg in 2005!
    in fact i have the bone act 1: out of boneville demo on my mac right now.....
  • edited February 2010
    oh and, we need hybrid collectors dvds from now on!
  • edited February 2010
    oh and, we need hybrid collectors dvds from now on!

I agree! That's actually what I came here to see. I would like to have DVD's for my Mac and PC... I may even be willing to pay more for a second (Mac) DVD on games that I already have the PC disc for.
  • edited February 2010
    Bone isn't going to be ported? what? isn't it already done?
    that was already released by vanbrio in conjunction with ttg in 2005!
    in fact i have the bone act 1: out of boneville demo on my mac right now.....

link to the article about the bone mac release.... still donno why it no longer is distributed
    http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=14185
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2010
    Vanbrio, the company that did the Bone port went out of business. Since they handled all of the licensing and sales for it, the game went down with them.
  • edited February 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Vanbrio, the company that did the Bone port went out of business. Since they handled all of the licensing and sales for it, the game went down with them.

Sounds like they really...

*puts on sunglasses*

... got Boned.

Oh man, that was bad.
  • edited February 2010
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Sounds like they really...

*puts on sunglasses*

... got Boned.

Oh man, that was bad.

yeeeeeeeeeeah! :cool:
  • edited February 2010
    I agree! That's actually what I came here to see. I would like to have DVD's for my Mac and PC... I may even be willing to pay more for a second (Mac) DVD on games that I already have the PC disc for.

agreed. i'd definately pay at least shipping if not a few bucks for hybrid hardcopies with all the little extras for my collection
  • edited February 2010
    I can confirm they have a booth at MacWorld...be stopping by there after the Kevin Smith talk tomorrow to see what they can offer.
  • edited February 2010
    almightyze wrote: »
    I can confirm they have a booth at MacWorld...be stopping by there after the Kevin Smith talk tomorrow to see what they can offer.

wootz! keep us posted
  • edited February 2010
    Yesyesyesyesyesyes!
  • edited February 2010
    Mac|Life continues to fail to let us down!
  • JanJan
    edited February 2010
    Woohoo! Today is gonna be Mac-Telltale-Day!

I can feel it, it's coming, after so many years of pain and frustration.
    Dance, everybody, dance and sing praises!
  • edited February 2010
    *dances in celebration*

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

*dances some more*

Sheesh, if there was ever a time someone should post up that dancing Guybrush/Winslow, that would be now.
  • edited February 2010
    :winslow: :winslow: :winslow:
    *dances in celebration*

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

*dances some more*

Sheesh, if there was ever a time someone should post up that dancing Guybrush/Winslow, that would be now.
  • edited February 2010
    Thank you for that, Stlouisribs. Thank you. :)
  • edited February 2010
    They did it. They. Did. It.

I love you, TellTale.
  • edited February 2010
    Thank you for that, Stlouisribs. Thank you. :)

:guybrush:
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks, Telltale-ish ones! I'm spreading word of this where I can.
  • JanJan
    edited February 2010
    Bought Tales of Monkey Island: Season 1 in a heartbeat.

It's running really well on my MacBook Air 2.13 GHz,
    therefore I think it will perform amazing on beefier
    iMacs or MacBook Pros.

Thanks again, Telltale Team, you're my heroes.

I've been waiting ages for your games coming to the Mac, having only played Bone: Out from Boneville back in 2006 (the Vanbrio release) and Sam & Max: Season One on the Wii.

And now, ladies and gentlemen – back to dancing!:guybrush:
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2010
    Jan wrote: »
    Bought Tales of Monkey Island: Season 1 in a heartbeat.

It's running really well on my MacBook Air 2.13 GHz,
    therefore I think it will perform amazing on beefier
    iMacs or MacBook Pros.

We've got one of the larger current iMacs in the back of the office, and the game runs beautifully full screen at native res with all the settings turned up. Load times on new Macs is also refreshingly quick. Nice hardware :)
  • edited February 2010
    hybrid collector dvds of tales of monkey island i can buy? yes?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2010
    yeah, that will happen as soon as it is ready.
  • edited February 2010
    I suppose it’s not cider-powered, because the cider games I had the chance to try were quite slowed down. But here, with my 27’’ iMac, it runs as smoothly as in Windows in native resolution, meaning it runs almost totally smooth in 2560x1440. And of course, in 1920x1080 it’s totally smooth.

I’m so happy, it works so great :) for now I don’t even saw any change in graphs, it seems to be identical, that’s an amazing job.
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2010
    We looked at Cider, but we decided to go with a full on native implementation. A lot of us here are big Mac fans. I have nothing but Mac's at home and I really wanted to do a proper Mac version of the games that ran well, etc. Glad you're enjoying it! Be sure to vote for the next Mac game to enter QA!!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2010
    Yohmi wrote: »
    I suppose it’s not cider-powered, because the cider games I had the chance to try were quite slowed down. But here, with my 27’’ iMac, it runs as smoothly as in Windows in native resolution, meaning it runs almost totally smooth in 2560x1440. And of course, in 1920x1080 it’s totally smooth.

I’m so happy, it works so great :) for now I don’t even saw any change in graphs, it seems to be identical, that’s an amazing job.

It's a native port of the engine, done internally by the same people who write the PC (and console) code. We're using OpenGL instead of Direct3D since its a Mac and not Windows, but its running on the same codebase natively without a Cider-style emulation or virtualization layer or anything like that.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    It's a native port of the engine, done internally by the same people who write the PC (and console) code. We're using OpenGL instead of Direct3D since its a Mac and not Windows, but its running on the same codebase natively without a Cider-style emulation or virtualization layer or anything like that.

Now that you have cross platform solutions for Audio and Video (FMOD and OpenGL) the gap towards a Linux version is a lot smaller. Do you think that could happen one day, even if it's just released as experimental?
  • edited February 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Now that you have cross platform solutions for Audio and Video (FMOD and OpenGL) the gap towards a Linux version is a lot smaller. Do you think that could happen one day, even if it's just released as experimental?

That would be nice. It's not working for me with wine (although it sees other people have made it work). But it might be more work than it's worth I guess.
  • edited February 2010
    Thank you a lot for your answers. And for your devotion, because it’s extremly rare to see developers going into native… :)
    May I ask you another question ?
    Now you’ve made this engine, do you plan to make systematically day-one PC & Mac versions of your upcoming titles ? Let’s say, a paah mad space gorilla-thingy game, for example… :P
Sign in to comment in this discussion.