Will there be a Windows 10 patch?

It really sucks that the game crashes if you have Windows 10.

I've noticed a lot of people have commented on this from ages ago and still there hasn't been a patch. I'd really appreciate it if I got some news on if there will be one in the future or if it's just a lost cause, because I really don't trust myself to try any of the patches online nor do I want to resort to having to change to Windows 7 to play the games.

Comments

• I'm actually emerging back here like a phoenix from the discarded ashtray, because I need to voice how it absolutely sucks that Seasons One and Two don't work for me on Windows 10. I start the Telltale .exe files and it just changes my screen resolution to small, and it doesn't work. Not even the compatibility mode to Vista Service Pack 2 helped.

And it's so weird because my boyfriend has Windows 10, and we were able to play Ice Station Santa perfectly on it earlier this year! It's so odd.

• You know what's weird?

I actually uninstalled the games then reinstalled them and it somehow worked for me :o

Hopefully it will work for you as well :)

I'm actually emerging back here like a phoenix from the discarded ashtray, because I need to voice how it absolutely sucks that Seasons One

• Alas, I have re-installed it about 3 or 4 times already and no dice. I'll keep figuring out a way till then.

xValkyx posted: »

You know what's weird? I actually uninstalled the games then reinstalled them and it somehow worked for me Hopefully it will work for you as well

• I've replayed the first three episodes on Windows 10 in the last few days with only minor in-game issues that I'm sure weren't there before - mainly some animations that get stuck/go awry, and one serious one in 101 where Sybil has been magically transported across the room and is invisible, save for her hotspot-text appearing when you mouse over just the right spot.

But just tried playing 104, and it can open the launcher (coincidentally, or perhaps not, the first episode where a launcher appears, rather than just running the game directly), but crashes upon attempting to open the game proper. Sucks to have gotten back into it, and then be stopped midway like this.

I've also just been downloading the episodes from the website, rather than installing the whole thing from the Collector's DVD (because it was outside arms' reach, so screw it), so I don't know if that makes a difference one way or the other. I wouldn't think so, though - all the actual game files should be exactly the same. Just noting it.

• Update: Installing the season from the Collector's DVD results in none of the episodes being able to run. Might it be related to the launcher, somehow? Again, the first three episodes downloaded from the Telltale page start just fine, and are coincidentally the ones that launch directly into the episode without going through a launcher.

Winther posted: »

I've replayed the first three episodes on Windows 10 in the last few days with only minor in-game issues that I'm sure weren't there before

• There is a way to make seasons 1 and 2 of Sam and Max to become playable but, the only way (or at least the way I use) is to have them in windowed mode.

To do this, you're gonna need something like Notepad++. Normal Notepad won't work. Use Notepad++ to find the prefs.prop file for each episode.
    The directory should be something like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sam and Max Episode 1\prefs.prop. It may not be the same but it should be somewhat close. Now, you wanna look through the file with Notepad++ and find where it says either windowed0 or windowed1. Change the 0 to a 1 or the 1 to a 0 and that should be all you need to do. Simply try starting that episode (in this case "Culture Shock") and it should run smoothly in windowed mode. Simply do the same for the rest of the episodes in season 1 and for season 2 you should only have to do it for "Ice Station Santa". If the other episodes still don't open, just do the same thing for them.

Hope this helped!

• I tried the above suggestions and am still getting the "SamMax201.exe stopped working". I also tried compatibility mode, but no dice.

It's disappointing that telltale is apparently not fixing this issue.

• Hi, I know this thread is a little old but its the most recent one regarding Windows 10.

I have the collectors editions of seasons one and two. I recently got a new computer with Windows 10, and I can't install the games, the computer doesn't even recognise the discs. Since I never did get season three I'm willing to buy the three-pack on Steam BUT I'm confused, are people saying that even the Steam version won't play on Windows 10? Since people keep talking about altering the Steam files and using Borderless Windows?

• Honestly i'm not entirely sure how it works, but in my personal experience, it didn't work for me at all at first when I downloaded the games via steam. I think it's played the game for a few second and then just crashed, however after uninstalling and reinstalling they all work perfectly fine for me now, so i'm not too sure what happened exactly.

I've heard from others online that the same exact thing happened to them so it seems to be a common pattern for Sam and Max games on Windows 10. They CAN work, but for some reason they have a tendency to fuck up when you first download them.

Hi, I know this thread is a little old but its the most recent one regarding Windows 10. I have the collectors editions of seasons one an

• Thanks for your reply...I have other games to play in the meantime and I guess if I absolutely need to I can play S&M on my old computer. But yeah that's annoying. :/ Someone gave me s2 for the Wii years back and I think the others were also available so there's that.

xValkyx posted: »

Honestly i'm not entirely sure how it works, but in my personal experience, it didn't work for me at all at first when I downloaded the game

• Thanks it really helped ;)

Grashus90 posted: »

There is a way to make seasons 1 and 2 of Sam and Max to become playable but, the only way (or at least the way I use) is to have them in wi

Sign in to comment in this discussion.