Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• [Help Aditha and Hackor]

Ultimately, this choice alone wouldn't have been enough to save Hackor's life, but it could have helped, if certain other alternative choices would have been taken. It would have given Hackor more time, making it less obvious that he would die from his wounds in Jenna's third part. If saved, he would have been in slightly better shape in Chapter 9, though if this would have been the only choice in his favour you would have taken, he would have still perished. On the downside, the fates of Carma and her children would have been unclear for some time, though eventually, it would have turned out that Carma and Mickaela would have survived, whereas Farrell would have died when an Ironborn would have cut him down without a second thought. This would have permanently given Carma an intense hatred of Jenna.

Wow that's seriously messed up. I'm glad? We didn't do this, but also I'm not because I don't have a problem with people hating Jenna.

[Try to kill Clayton]

This choice would have caused the death of Clayton. With just one arm, he would have been outclassed by the unwounded Kersea, who would have killed him, though he still would have put up a good fight, wounding her in the process. Raenna would have fallen down the tower, with Kersea being too late to save her, but Clayton wouldn't have managed to blow up the lighthouse, meaning that Mullendore and Vyrwel would have received a metric shitton of Wildfire for their plans. You can decide for yourself if that would have been worth the satisfaction to kill a crippled man. I myself think you chose wisely by trying to save Raenna instead.

It would have been to me at least. Definitely worth it.

[Take Hackor with you]

All on its own, this choice wouldn't have been enough to save Hackor. It would have been a key choice if other options would have been taken earlier, but with the way the story unfolded, his death was already a certainty by the time I gave you this choice. If he would have been taken by Jenna, he would have lived to Chapter 9, where he would have had a scene with his children before passing away. Both of them actually, as Aditha would have survived in either way. However, if she would have been left behind, she would have been taken by the Ironborn and raped several times, resulting in her becoming an even darker and more traumatized character. So, it would have added an additional layer of tragedy to the situation. Hackor would have been able to confess his love to her, but she would have been too far gone to actually accept it, resulting in her leaving him instead of staying with him until he would have taken his last breath. It also would have affected her behaviour throughout the entirety of Book 2, especially after another twist in a later chapter would have happened. This other twist is still going to happen, but her reaction will be completely different now.

Okay, that's even more fucked up then the stuff earlier. Jeez I am glad I don't have to experience that. I'll be waiting for this twist though.

[Turn around and run past Abbas]

In contrast, this would have worked splendidly well. Abbas wouldn't have expected such a gutsy move, so he would have been unable to capture her and she would have run past him and the surprised Bakr, before losing them by running through the alleyways near the gate. She still wouldn't have managed to catch up with Brandon and Briar in time though.

This why I voted this (I did vote this right?) Ah well, Ellena is fine...for now..

[Stay with Mathea and Rosalie]

I am still a bit baffled that this choice actually lost, given how much sense it made when I thought of it. Ah well, let's just say that staying with Mathea and Rosalie would have had a good influence on their relationship and Mathea would have seen Arthur as a reliable friend afterwards. Now, well, now he basically left her and a heavily traumatized girl in a burning city filled with raiders to go on a wild goose chase with a guy he just met. We'll see what further consequence there will be down the line there. I bet it won't be a good one

It's fine. It'll be great. They'll be fine. No one is going to find them not the way stuff is now. Well, not one we can do anything about.

Alys II: [Give him more blood] By giving Edward more blood, he would have appeared as a more heroic character for longer, selflessly g

• Ah Dan I would have saved you. Oh well, RIP.

Indeed. His death is tragic and he could have lived for quite some time, though he ultimately would have died in a later chapter. It would have given me the possibility to develop him a bit better though, so I wouldn't have been opposed to this, even if Sadie's storyline is now infinitely more interesting for me.

Man, I wish I could have seen that. Oh Otis, you would have lived on in the hearts' of men.

Well, I believe this would have led to a longer and more exciting storyline for Ellena, paired with some important character development. I also could have delivered that creepy bastard a bit better, while still giving him the fate he ultimately deserved.

That would have been better I suppose. Would Lyria still be dog chow?

She would have. There was no way for Lyria to survive this chapter, I'm afraid, as her scene was so closely paired with the Wolfius warg-reveal, one of the most central parts of this chapter and the entirety of Book 1. The moment she made her deal with him in Chapter 1, her fate was sealed.

Eh, my theory was correct but it seems that the choice got was a little better. Oh well.

Well, this other one would have indeed mostly just caused additional problems for Richard, with nothing positive coming out of it that the other choice wouldn't have given as well. A little bit more screentime for Alan, if you count it as a positive consequence. I'd say you chose the objectively better option there.

Ooo Leonard beating him would have be wonderful to see. Ah well, I guess what we got was better?

Actually, it would have been a draw. Both, Torvin and Leonard, would have received minor wounds (nothing a bad as Torvin getting hit one ton of angry horse), but it wouldn't have really affected them all that much and ultimately, their respective allies would have interrupted the duel, in Torvin's case to protect their captain and in Leonard's case to allow him to retreat.

Ah well, RIP. Saerya probably would have dumped his sorry ass anyway.

Possible, yes, very possible. Saerya's feelings on Federico haven't been as clear as his feelings on her, although she mostly took advantage of his position in the castle guard. He would have kept this position, so he would have continued to be useful and entertaining. That said, Saerya is no Sherryl, so there would have been more to her reaction.

Ah man I wish that was the case.

Trust me, I can emphasize with that. I liked the fighting scene and I loved to give Hjalgar his badass moment, but I would have liked to write more about that brutish simpleton Cleaver Clint. For all his flaws, the sheer gall of the character was something I found very refreshing while writing him :D

[Help Dan] This one would have opened up the chance for Sadie's chapter to end on a much more uplifting note, as it would have starte

• Wow that's seriously messed up. I'm glad? We didn't do this, but also I'm not because I don't have a problem with people hating Jenna.

It is a bit messed up indeed and it would have shown that the Ironborn don't even spare children. Especially on its own, it wouldn't have even done anything particularly well, since your other choices were enough to seal Hackor's fate. And well, I can assure you that Jenna will have enough people against her in the future. One more enemy won't count all that much, especially as Carma is going to focus on something else in Book 2.

It would have been to me at least. Definitely worth it.

I can understand that :D Though keep in mind, metric shitton of Wildfire in the hands of two psychopaths. That stuff exploding is probably the best thing that could have happened to the city, considering that the ones currently in charge are anything but reasonable. In comparison, Clayton is no danger anymore, aside from maybe a potential danger for Kersea.

Okay, that's even more fucked up then the stuff earlier. Jeez I am glad I don't have to experience that. I'll be waiting for this twist though.

I agree. This would have been really dark, for Arthur, for Aditha, for Jenna as well, especially after Hackor would have died later. This twist should be interesting. Look for it in the mid-to-late Book 2. One thing I can reveal is, with the current situation as it is, the source of this twist will be different than it otherwise would have been.

This why I voted this (I did vote this right?) Ah well, Ellena is fine...for now..

You chose this indeed, I just went and checked. Should have made for a pretty cool scene, but well, it won't be the only chance for cool scenes in Ellena's storyline, especially with what I have planned for her.

It's fine. It'll be great. They'll be fine. No one is going to find them not the way stuff is now. Well, not one we can do anything about.

Well, they are both still alive, that much I can reveal. It was their luck that the Ironborn were as good as defeated by the time of the latest Arthur part. However, Mathea is going to be absolutely pissed now and probably for good reason, since Arthur had no reason of telling if she would make it when he left her.

[Help Aditha and Hackor] Ultimately, this choice alone wouldn't have been enough to save Hackor's life, but it could have helped, if

• And at last, as promised, the 'What if's' for Chapter 8! I always enjoy writing these down and I hope you enjoy them as well ;)

Also, a little update on the things to come. I will start writing the new chapter now, though I'll have little time tomorrow, so it might not be ready on Friday. This means, it is more likely that the next chapter will begin on Saturday or even on Sunday, but in any way, it will begin this week. I am not entirely sure whom I wish to put as the PoV of this part, though I think Lucas would be the most fitting.

Another thing about the general flow of this chapter: It will, in many ways, be a shorter chapter for some PoV's. Though Jaron and Edrick will return with rather substantial storylines, other PoV's will only have very short storylines, some even with one part only. Among these one-part PoV's are, for now, Alys, John and likely Garthon, with potentially others as well. Some of them will include choices, others won't and they will mostly be there to set up the things that are to come for them in the future. I am sorry for those who enjoy these PoV's, but the important events I wish to show through their eyes simply won't be enough to justify multiple parts in this chapter.

There are also other goodies to come in this chapter. The Tv Tropes page will be one of them. The work I have to put into it is tremendous and I might not manage to finish it until the next chapter starts, neither am I willing to push the chapter back into the next week. But it will be finished soon and I hope you will enjoy it. Another thing I will announce at some point in this chapter will be the chapter titles for Book 2. Not just the next Act, but the entire Book 2. This is mostly because it will be easier for the wiki if I am able to write down all of the chapter names at once instead of adding it in for every character whenever I announce a new chapter title. A lot of thought went into the names for the coming ten chapters of Book 2, so there should be something to speculate about, hopefully :)

As for now, here are the 'What If's', I hope you enjoy them and I'll see you in the coming days! Also, check out WildlingKing's new set of drawings right above this post, because they are great as always and also include a super nice portrait!

What would have happened...

... if Terroma would have survived his fight with Marak

One of the big ones right to the beginning. As you know, a certain set of choices could have led to Terroma's survival at the end of the last chapter. First of all, this would have given Raenna less of a reason to kill Noelle. She still would have been offered the choice and Terroma himself would have been indifferent to her fate after realizing that Ellena is still alive. However, given that you already chose to spare her, I guess taking away even the personal anger Raenna had in this moment would have made it even less likely for a majority of you to choose to kill Noelle. Together, Raenna, Terroma and the others would have travelled to Raylansfair, where they would have encountered Kersea. The reunion between them would have been even more emotional and Terroma would have joined Kersea and Raenna in their fight against Clayton. At the lighthouse, Terroma would have fought alongside Kersea against Clayton, while Raenna would have fought against Alysanne. However, Terroma would have met his end there, being lethally wounded when Alysanne throwing Raenna down the lighthouse would have made him too distraught to properly pay attention to Clayton's attacks. In either way, he would have been dead at the end of this chapter.

...if Marak would have survived his fight with Terroma

The other way 'round, though less consequential, Marak would have appeared at the beginning of this chapter if he would have either survived his fight with Terroma, or if Terroma would have been already dead at this point. He wouldn't have done much in this chapter though. Instead, he and Noelle would have remained behind after giving up on Ellena and Briar. He would have continued to be a PoV in Chapter 9 and beyond, but not much of this has been planned ever since it became clear to me that he wouldn't survive his confrontation with Terroma. I might get into more of my concepts in later chapters, but don't expect to hear too much of this route.

...if Jenna would have died in Chapter 3?

This is another really big one, as you can probably imagine, especially in this chapter. Through a certain set of choices, Jenna could have died in Chapter 3, which would have potentially been disastrous for a large number of characters in this chapter. From the alternative choices, you already know what could have happened if Jenna would have decided differently in some situations. Well, now imagine what would have happened if she wouldn't have been there to decide at all. Arthur could have taken over some part of her storyline, but considering that you voted to keep him near Aldus, I doubt this would have happened. So, with a dead Jenna, the worst for every other character she encountered in this chapter would have happened. Carma and her children would have gone missing, with her son later being found dead. Hackor would have died in the way he did in the story you got, but Aditha would have been taken by the Ironborn as well. And trust me that, compared to next chapter, these are still relatively mild consequences.

...if Harren Hoare would have been successfully assassinated?

Interestingly, the possible death of Harren would have been the only way for Torvin to survive, though it would have come at a price. After his death, Harmund would have taken the throne and he would have ruled twice as cruel and half as intelligent. For starters, he would blame Garthon in particular of his father's death and would therefore make special preparations to kill him during the raid on Raylansfair. However, he wouldn't have been smart enough to capture Torvin's lover and murder his unborn child, so Torvin himself wouldn't have been broken in this route, resulting in him being more willing to retreat and Edward seeing no reason to stab him. Instead, Garthon would have been killed in the chapter finale by another character, an assassin in service of Harmund, whom you can now look forward for in Book 2 >:) Basically, the plan was to kill off one of the Breaker brothers in this chapter and though Torvin was by far the more likely to die, I wanted to give him at least some small chance of survival.

...if Lunett would have survived?

The choice that once was important, but now would have slowly faded in its consequences. As you know, Lunett would have broken up with Lucas, unable to accept his new, changed personality and unable to hide her jealousness of a certain princess Lucas seems to fancy. Lucas himself would have still harboured feelings for her though and this would have created a dilemma when Lucas would have had to decide to focus on bringing her and the other members of Aylard's crew to safety or not. However, she wouldn't have much of a role in this chapter.

...if Leonard would have remained in Raylansfair?

Through one choice from ages ago, in Chapter 1, Leonard's path as one of Lucas' allies and his best friend was decided upon. However, it could have been differently. He could have remained in Raylansfair and you already know many of the consequences from this. In this chapter, it would have had less consequences than usual, as Leonard's still existing antipathy towards Lucas would have taken a backseat to him doing his best to defend the city. However, the main problem would have been that he wouldn't have trusted Lucas with doing the best for Raylansfair and therefore would have questioned some of his decisions in this chapter, becoming a bit of a nuisance in these parts. Nonetheless, he would have ultimately turned around and helped Lucas in the chapter finale, cementing him as someone who is willing to let go of old grudges.

...if Kersea wouldn't have won Alysanne's friendship?

This one's a pretty huge one and will likely be a new main part of these 'What If's'. Certain choices would have made Kersea less of a genuine friend to Alysanne, which would have left her unwilling to turn against Clayton. This is one of the few options how Alysanne could have survived this chapter, arguably a lot less likable though. She would have thrown Raenna down the window, for still hating her with a passion. However, instead of turning against Clayton and sacrificing her life to take down Harris, she would have beaten down Kersea, nonlethally, before killing Harris together with Clayton. In the chaos of this fight, which would have ended with Clayton keeping his arm, Kersea would have escaped, but both, Clayton and Alysanne and the wildfire as well, would have remained active and a serious threat to Raylansfair.

• I love these! Rosalie is so damn precious. :'(

Hey everybody! I'm just here to drop the newest set of drawings before Chapter 9 begins Including another portrait, this time Kersea.

• I must admit that during this year you really improve Wildling King!
    Speaking about this set of drawings my favorite is Helenys but I obviously enjoy see the first drawing that portrays one of my characters (aka Taenora) and I really like your interpretation of her.

Hey everybody! I'm just here to drop the newest set of drawings before Chapter 9 begins Including another portrait, this time Kersea.

• This means, it is more likely that the next chapter will begin on Saturday or even on Sunday, but in any way, it will begin this week.

Don't worry Liquid,take yourself all the time you need

The Tv Tropes page will be one of them. The work I have to put into it is tremendous and I might not manage to finish it until the next chapter starts, neither am I willing to push the chapter back into the next week

Despite I'm happy that you have decide to make a TV Tropes page for this story I suggest you Liquid to work on it only when you wanted and have time to spare without put yourself deadlines about it (the same I can say about the wiki)

for the coming ten chapters of Book 2,

Liquid no!You break the rule of three! Jokes aside I'm really curious to discover that names

~~~

About the choices:

... if Terroma would have survived his fight with Marak

RIP Alternative Terroma

Well,I'm glad that Jenna survive that part!We avoid not only the loss of the character that develop the most inside the story but even many deaths!

Despite of the bros my favorite was Torvin and I would have like his survival I'm happy that,for this part,we follow the canon (Harren is a much more interesting ruler that his son);btw now you make me curious about the assasin that would have kill Garthon

And at last, as promised, the 'What if's' for Chapter 8! I always enjoy writing these down and I hope you enjoy them as well Also, a lit

• Damn, I missed the party. Feel bad about being busy. Also did someone call the phone? BECAUSE I FUCKING CALLED IT! I said in the last chapter finale back in October that the Breaker brothers better not die, and what do you know Torvin gets brutally killed and Garathon is left dry. Y U DO DIS LIQUID? Why do you kill the people that I don't want dead. Well, I can't argue here but this finale was epic, I would have liked it to be focused on one character but getting Torvin, Sadie and Lucas was quite interesting. The Ironborn are basically done for, Wolfius is on a killing spree, Clayton and the gang are all screwed, the Gutters are split thin, Ellena is alone in a burning city and oh my god there is still so much more. This chapter was epic and now that I caught up, lets answer those questions.

Who were your favourite characters in Chapter 8? I really liked a lot of characters. Aside from the usual, I really liked the Stormlanders here more than anyone else. I found them very fleshed out and had a lot of spotlight. Saide was actually very interesting and enjoyed it a lot. You weren't kidding when you said her POV's would be intense and brutal. All in all, I really liked everyone here, they are all fantastic and stand out.

Who were your least favourite characters in Chapter 8? Do I need to say this? Fuck you Edward, Wolfius, Clayton, Petyr, Mullendore, Abbas, Bakr and etc. Seriously, these guys are on my hit list Liquid, if you're going to kill and torture the good guys like a sadist, at least give us some justice and kill those miserable fucks xD (I'm only kidding). Characters that seriously bother me is Vaasrand, I mean like other users said, hes really just Geralt without being Geralt. He has some great lines, but nothing interesting

What were your favourite storylines in Chapter 8? Aside from the epic finale, moments that stand out are Keresa when she is fighting Clayton and 3 of the most prominent characters are killed off (sort of). Sadie's torture was just awesome. Jenna improved a little bit in my opinion. Lucas was intense. Drent was great. There is more but it would take too much time to name them all

What were your least favourite storylines in Chapter 8? Richard and Arthur. I didn't dislike them, I just didn't think they didn't carry the same impact as the rest of the cast. Not a whole lot went down, not as much as I would have expected, so I think they were kind of lacking.

What was your favourite part and your favourite moment in Chapter 8? Wolfius killing Lyria reminds me of my story. Severely mocking her and degrading her in every way before brutally butchering her. That was something. Torvin's last moments brought tears to my eyes. Lucas meeting Petyr and Mullendore got me tensed up. Raenna sort of falling onto her doom. Alysanne's death hit hard. Just everything was lined up perfectly.

Is there anything you disliked? My only criticism with this chapter is the exclusion of Jaron and Edrick. I understand cutting them out is important because of the other great characters. But in my opinion, I don't see that they should be entirely excluded out of the chapter, if they got even one chapter each that would have been fine. Like maybe Samuel is training Jaron in some skills and reflect with each other to plot their revenge. Or Edrick maybe encountering some mini side plot to keep me invested in him and his allies. By excluding them, I don't feel they carry the same magnitude of character like they used to, because it has been 3 months since I last saw them at Oldtown and getting back into them would be kind of awkward and the pacing would be off . Other than that, the story is perfectly fine as it is, everyone is getting great in their own way and I find them interesting.

Do you have further advice, anything you'd like to see more, anything you're anticipating in Chapter 9? A lot more blood. The death section is certainly getting filled up here and it carries weight to it. The story keeping going on up, now things have settled down (slightly). I expect a lot of wrapping up to do and more introductions here. I took a look at the TV tropes, looks great. Still waiting anxiously to take a glimpse at the wiki. So everything is perfect here! Continue being awesome! Also, expect a PM from me soon, I believe we need to have some sort of mini discussion.

It's done. My god, it's finally done, after hours of writing. This has to be the most intense and emotional writing session I have ever done

• I have a question maybe one of you could answer. How does one become a knight in westeros ? Can anybody with the right training become one or do you have to be highborn or something?

• edited February 2017

I'm not 100% sure but here's what I think:

Being highborn helps, but I don't think there's technically a law forbidding low born from being knights. Almost no lord would knight a commoner but it can happen. Look at Davos from the show. He was a smuggler but he was knighted by Stannis for bringing him in some onions during a siege.

EDIT: So to answer your question, it solely depends on the person knighting you.

Nolonius posted: »

I have a question maybe one of you could answer. How does one become a knight in westeros ? Can anybody with the right training become one or do you have to be highborn or something?

• Thank you very much

AgentZ46 posted: »

I'm not 100% sure but here's what I think: Being highborn helps, but I don't think there's technically a law forbidding low born from bei

• Just remember that I'm not 100% certain so I could be wrong.

Thank you very much

• IIRC, technically any knight can also do the knighting. That's how we have hedge knights :p

AgentZ46 posted: »

I'm not 100% sure but here's what I think: Being highborn helps, but I don't think there's technically a law forbidding low born from bei

• When you get knighted by a knight are yiu a full knight or not ar "real" knight?

IIRC, technically any knight can also do the knighting. That's how we have hedge knights

• I'm pretty sure there is no difference. However, it could be that those knighted by kings or high lords are often more respected than those knighted by other knights.

When you get knighted by a knight are yiu a full knight or not ar "real" knight?

• The question is how does anyone know who knighted who?

I'm pretty sure there is no difference. However, it could be that those knighted by kings or high lords are often more respected than those knighted by other knights.

• Well, in many cases you probably wouldn't know. However, if there is a highborn knight sworn to a king, it's a safe bet that he was knighted by that king, or perhaps the father of that king. Similarly, if there is a poorly equipped knight who isn't sworn to any house, but instead travels the countryside, it's easy to guess that he is a hedge knight, and most likely knighted by another hedge knight.

The question is how does anyone know who knighted who?

• That makes sense thank you

Well, in many cases you probably wouldn't know. However, if there is a highborn knight sworn to a king, it's a safe bet that he was knighted

• Damn, I missed the party. Feel bad about being busy. Also did someone call the phone? BECAUSE I FUCKING CALLED IT! I said in the last chapter finale back in October that the Breaker brothers better not die, and what do you know Torvin gets brutally killed and Garathon is left dry. Y U DO DIS LIQUID? Why do you kill the people that I don't want dead. Well, I can't argue here but this finale was epic, I would have liked it to be focused on one character but getting Torvin, Sadie and Lucas was quite interesting. The Ironborn are basically done for, Wolfius is on a killing spree, Clayton and the gang are all screwed, the Gutters are split thin, Ellena is alone in a burning city and oh my god there is still so much more. This chapter was epic and now that I caught up, lets answer those questions.

Ah, I am always glad to see your thoughts on the chapter! Also, don't feel bad for being busy, I fully understand your situation and I'm happy you at least still find the time to occasionally check up with everything here :) I remember you saying that about the Breaker's back then and well, I already knew what would happen back then, so that kinda stuck with me. It seems I am a very bad man :D But well, I'm glad you enjoyed this chapter finale! Some really important stuff has happened and I can't wait to show you all the consequences of this. One small correction though, Ellena has already left Raylansfair by now, she decided to travel down the eastern road out of the city in her latest choice, instead of sticking around. So, next time we'll see her, it will be in the Reach, not in Raylansfair.

I really liked a lot of characters. Aside from the usual, I really liked the Stormlanders here more than anyone else. I found them very fleshed out and had a lot of spotlight. Saide was actually very interesting and enjoyed it a lot. You weren't kidding when you said her POV's would be intense and brutal. All in all, I really liked everyone here, they are all fantastic and stand out.

That is great to hear! I have intended to give the Stormlanders some heavy focus in this chapter, so it is good to hear that I succeeded at that, particularly with the death of Jax and everything (even if I'm still blown away with the positive feedback from that one). And Sadie is another one I wanted to shine in this chapter, especially as it was so important to her future development, so I'm glad you liked it!

Do I need to say this? Fuck you Edward, Wolfius, Clayton, Petyr, Mullendore, Abbas, Bakr and etc. Seriously, these guys are on my hit list Liquid, if you're going to kill and torture the good guys like a sadist, at least give us some justice and kill those miserable fucks xD (I'm only kidding). Characters that seriously bother me is Vaasrand, I mean like other users said, hes really just Geralt without being Geralt. He has some great lines, but nothing interesting

Haha, I can understand your feelings there. Obviously, Book 1 so far only gave you secondary villain deaths, such as Cleaver and Rodrik, even if Clayton also got some karma as well. However, I can promise that there will be at least some further justice in Book 2. In many ways however, the deaths of the good guys are going to hit even worse, since Book 2 is obviously going to end some storylines who have been going on for even longer than the ones you lost in this chapter. So, it's going to be relatively balanced, I think.

Richard and Arthur. I didn't dislike them, I just didn't think they didn't carry the same impact as the rest of the cast. Not a whole lot went down, not as much as I would have expected, so I think they were kind of lacking.

Neither had the most important storyline in this chapter, that much is for sure, as both have sort of built up their storyline in the next chapter. Richard now has a new guest at his house, whereas Arthur's new situation will make for one of the longest storylines in the next chapter, so there should be something to look forward for with them :)

Wolfius killing Lyria reminds me of my story. Severely mocking her and degrading her in every way before brutally butchering her. That was something. Torvin's last moments brought tears to my eyes. Lucas meeting Petyr and Mullendore got me tensed up. Raenna sort of falling onto her doom. Alysanne's death hit hard. Just everything was lined up perfectly.

Ah, good to hear these moments. Wolfius was the one I got the most anxious while writing. There's something absolutely unsettling about him, always has been and I am glad I was finally able to reveal just why he invoked this reaction in me. And the way he acted around Lyria in this part, that's when he really lets go of any semblance of civility that might hold him back. Expect more of him in the future and always keep in mind just how dangerous that guy truly is.

My only criticism with this chapter is the exclusion of Jaron and Edrick. I understand cutting them out is important because of the other great characters. But in my opinion, I don't see that they should be entirely excluded out of the chapter, if they got even one chapter each that would have been fine. Like maybe Samuel is training Jaron in some skills and reflect with each other to plot their revenge. Or Edrick maybe encountering some mini side plot to keep me invested in him and his allies. By excluding them, I don't feel they carry the same magnitude of character like they used to, because it has been 3 months since I last saw them at Oldtown and getting back into them would be kind of awkward and the pacing would be off . Other than that, the story is perfectly fine as it is, everyone is getting great in their own way and I find them interesting.

Yeah, I get what you mean. I myself have debated a bit if I truly want to exclude Jaron and Edrick. The answer is no, I didn't want to, but I came to the conclusion that it is absolutely necessary. Originally, I even planned to exclude Sadie as well, but I realized that her parts are thematically similar, too similar to just put her into the next chapter with yet another raid. This chapter was a planned a bit like some of the penultimate chapters in the show, such as Blackwater or the Watchers on the Wall, which mostly focussed on one location. This was what I wanted to achieve. The thing is, the storyline I have in mind for Jaron and Edrick in Book 1 only fits into one more chapter. Pulling some parts of it out, to keep them present just for the sake of keeping them present, that would feel awkward and unsatisfying. I mean, giving Edrick and co. an unimportant side adventure for one chapter would be unnecessary and any scene between Samuel and Jaron would take away stuff I wish to show in the next chapter. On top of that, just this one scene wouldn't make for a good storyline. So, I understand that you're not happy with cutting these characters from the chapter, but they just wouldn't have fit into the theme I wanted to explore and wouldn't have felt like the other storylines. Hope you understand that. I wasn't happy about not showing them, but can assure you, it was unavoidable. I also think that Jaron, Edrick and their respective supporting cast are strong enough as characters to survive that cut without feeling different now.

A lot more blood. The death section is certainly getting filled up here and it carries weight to it. The story keeping going on up, now things have settled down (slightly). I expect a lot of wrapping up to do and more introductions here. I took a look at the TV tropes, looks great. Still waiting anxiously to take a glimpse at the wiki. So everything is perfect here! Continue being awesome! Also, expect a PM from me soon, I believe we need to have some sort of mini discussion.

A lot more blood... hm, I might not be able to promise that, considering just how bloody this chapter was, but there will be a lot more blood on the horizon in general. Fire as well ;) You are also right, there will be a lot of wrapping up in the next chapter, as I want to prepare the storylines to a two-month timeskip between Book 1 and 2. The wiki should be ready in the coming months, the Tv Tropes, which, as you noticed, is in a very advanced state, should be ready in the next week. Also, I am always up for a discussion! Send me a PM whenever you have the time :)

Damn, I missed the party. Feel bad about being busy. Also did someone call the phone? BECAUSE I FUCKING CALLED IT! I said in the last chapte

• It's basically what Agent and Wildling said, they are right there. Any king, lord and knight in Westeros can appoint someone to be a knight if they see them as worthy. These new knights can also appoint knights and so on. However, it is a duty that is not to be taken lightly. Usually, lowborn knights are somewhat looked down upon by highborn knights, as they often don't have a permanent position at some lord's household and have to wander the lands as hedge knights, who occasionally take up on work that other knights see as beneath them. However, they have the same rights as highborn knights, they can participate in tourneys, can pick up prestigious work for important houses and are occasionally even seen as suitable matches for lesser important daughters of minor noble families, so they can marry into nobility as well. An example for that latter one would be Bronn from the books and show.
    Typically, a knight has to squire for another knight first and is knighted once this other knight sees him as worthy and, importantly, once he feels ready for the responsibilities of a knight. There are real-life examples for men who willingly decide to remain a squire for their entire life because they didn't feel up to the responsibility of knighthood. However, receiving knightly training is not required and occasionally, someone who does outstanding feats in a battle or a tourney is knighted on the spot. Take Jax Montclair for example, who was knighted in this chapter without any previous experience as a squire, simply for his selfless protection of the Storm Princess, that's usually the sort of stuff that gets you knighted. Jaron is another example of a lowborn knight, who was knighted by yet another lowborn knight. Technically, it is his good right to take a squire, whom he has to train in the ways of knighthood and he can, in theory, even knight any man he comes across, as long as he doesn't abuse this privilege. However, he doesn't really feel up to the responsibility yet, so nothing like that has happened in the story so far.

I have a question maybe one of you could answer. How does one become a knight in westeros ? Can anybody with the right training become one or do you have to be highborn or something?

• Don't worry Liquid,take yourself all the time you need

Aye, though I won't take too long. I really don't want to keep you waiting, so I'll sit down and write some stuff starting with today in the evening, so it really should be ready on Saturday.

Despite I'm happy that you have decide to make a TV Tropes page for this story I suggest you Liquid to work on it only when you wanted and have time to spare without put yourself deadlines about it (the same I can say about the wiki)

That's the thing, I want to work on it. I want to finish it and it's a lot of fun to do it, but it's also more work than expected, as character tropes occasionally feel like a chore. I mean, some of the characters really haven't had a large role so far and finding tropes for them can be hard. Recently, I found 8 tropes for Woody Lincoln, who only appeared in a single part in Chapter 5 so far and well, that wasn't too easy, I'm telling you :D

Liquid no!You break the rule of three! Jokes aside I'm really curious to discover that names

Muahahaha, anarchy! Though, to be honest, I originally have even considered an entire fourth act for Book 2, but decided that this would be a bit too much. There are some storylines which simply need this additional chapter, to allow me to make things less rushed for them. I can't really talk about whom these storylines are going to be of course, but this additional chapter will make things a lot easier for me when it comes to them. It might be a problem with others, but we'll see. Overall, I think it is a good idea. Since Book 3 is currently planned to have 9 chapters again, it also means that FoT will have an even amount of chapters, which isn't too bad either ;)

Well,I'm glad that Jenna survive that part!We avoid not only the loss of the character that develop the most inside the story but even many deaths!

And trust me, her death would have further consequences down the line. I can't stress it enough, be careful which character you're trying to kill, especially when they can be so useful in the future. Jenna's presence will change a lot of things, potentially for the better, whereas her absence would have helped no one. The next chapter should delve even deeper into that.

Despite of the bros my favorite was Torvin and I would have like his survival I'm happy that,for this part,we follow the canon (Harren is a much more interesting ruler that his son);btw now you make me curious about the assasin that would have kill Garthon

I agree, I fully agree. Harren is the more interesting character, compared to Harmund, and Book 2 is even going to give him some depth. Not quite redeeming features, but depth, motivation, humanizing traits and the likes. Harmund is far worse than his father, that much I can tell. As for this assassin, since I noticed that I have worded it slightly confusing, he is going to appear in Book 2 and I should eventually be at the point to tell you that he is the one that would have killed Garthon, but that doesn't mean he is going to kill him in Book 2 now. Garthon's fate is in your hands, on more than one occasion in the future.

This means, it is more likely that the next chapter will begin on Saturday or even on Sunday, but in any way, it will begin this week.

• Ok cool thanks for the info

It's basically what Agent and Wildling said, they are right there. Any king, lord and knight in Westeros can appoint someone to be a knight

• Wow these drawings though. I absolutely adore the way you drew Helenys as well as Taenora. They're both two of my favorite drawings from this set with their colorful clothes. Also, Kersea's portait is incredible! Initially I was trying to figure out who was in the portrait and at first I thought it was Maya. :D

• Just out of curiosity but would this chapter have any different effect if Kersea would've went to a much darker route (i.e. torturing Corbin and Rayden, pleasing Clayton)?

And at last, as promised, the 'What if's' for Chapter 8! I always enjoy writing these down and I hope you enjoy them as well Also, a lit

• Recently, I found 8 tropes for Woody Lincoln, who only appeared in a single part in Chapter 5 so far

Woody who? Oh wait,is he the guy that Alys meet at the beginning of her POV?The one that try to convince the girl to seek refuge inside his farm?

I have worded it slightly confusing

Ah don't worry I'm the one that explain himself bad since I've understand that Mr(s). X would have been Garthon killer only in an AU,I just wanted to write that I'm curious to discover who is and what would do the assasin

Don't worry Liquid,take yourself all the time you need Aye, though I won't take too long. I really don't want to keep you waiting, s

• Beautiful as always. So glad you share these with us :).

captainivy1 posted: »

Wow. They are so amazing, all of them. Although... Rosalie looks so happy there, and judging by this chapter, she shouldn't be that happy, r

Wow. They are so amazing, all of them. Although... Rosalie looks so happy there, and judging by this chapter, she shouldn't be that happy, r

• Woody who? Oh wait,is he the guy that Alys meet at the beginning of her POV?The one that try to convince the girl to seek refuge inside his farm?

Sort of, yes. Woody is the man who leads the farm, a former soldier, who lost his ability to speak in the war (wether through emotional trauma or a wound hasn't been revealed). Alys met one of his farmhands and it seems like he does this regularly, hiding young women on his farm, to keep them safe from Harmund. This latest time, it backfired when Harmund captured and interrogated that farmhand, learning of the location of the farm in the process. Woody himself appeared a chapter later, together with another farmhand, who demanded reparations for the destruction Harmund's men caused to the farm. The farmhand got arrogant and Harren beat him to death, but Woody was allowed to leave with enough coin to rebuild his farm. This scene has, to date, been his only appearance. If Alys would have decided to hide at his farm in Chapter 4 though, he would have received a more substantial role.

Ah don't worry I'm the one that explain himself bad since I've understand that Mr(s). X would have been Garthon killer only in an AU,I just wanted to write that I'm curious to discover who is and what would do the assasin

Aye, this assassin should be a pretty interesting character. I likely can't say who it is right away, but after a certain point in the story, I can speak more freely about it, considering we both still think about it by then =)

Recently, I found 8 tropes for Woody Lincoln, who only appeared in a single part in Chapter 5 so far Woody who? Oh wait,is he the gu

• Reads the last few pages of the summary.

...Well, dang it.

• You already read through the summary, that's great! I hope it wasn't too confusing in the way it was written, though as I said, if there are any questions, I'm happy to answer. Also, I hope it served its purpose well enough to prepare you for the next chapter, which should start tomorrow :)

Tohabath posted: »

Reads the last few pages of the summary. ...Well, dang it.

• It was a little confusing trying to remember who was who, but I think I'll at least be able to make informed decisions with future choices. :)

You already read through the summary, that's great! I hope it wasn't too confusing in the way it was written, though as I said, if there are

• Just noticed and wanted to congratulate you too 500 K views on this. You sure as shit deserves every single one, even though there isn't 500 000 people that checked in here. Anyhow, you deserves every single one, congratulations!

Cheers! And here's to the next 500 000.

• ... if Terroma would have survived his fight with Marak

One of the big ones right to the beginning. As you know, a certain set of choices could have led to Terroma's survival at the end of the last chapter. First of all, this would have given Raenna less of a reason to kill Noelle. She still would have been offered the choice and Terroma himself would have been indifferent to her fate after realizing that Ellena is still alive. However, given that you already chose to spare her, I guess taking away even the personal anger Raenna had in this moment would have made it even less likely for a majority of you to choose to kill Noelle. Together, Raenna, Terroma and the others would have travelled to Raylansfair, where they would have encountered Kersea. The reunion between them would have been even more emotional and Terroma would have joined Kersea and Raenna in their fight against Clayton. At the lighthouse, Terroma would have fought alongside Kersea against Clayton, while Raenna would have fought against Alysanne. However, Terroma would have met his end there, being lethally wounded when Alysanne throwing Raenna down the lighthouse would have made him too distraught to properly pay attention to Clayton's attacks. In either way, he would have been dead at the end of this chapter.

Nice. If Otis had taken Ellena would Terroma have not done anything?

This is another really big one, as you can probably imagine, especially in this chapter. Through a certain set of choices, Jenna could have died in Chapter 3, which would have potentially been disastrous for a large number of characters in this chapter. From the alternative choices, you already know what could have happened if Jenna would have decided differently in some situations. Well, now imagine what would have happened if she wouldn't have been there to decide at all. Arthur could have taken over some part of her storyline, but considering that you voted to keep him near Aldus, I doubt this would have happened. So, with a dead Jenna, the worst for every other character she encountered in this chapter would have happened. Carma and her children would have gone missing, with her son later being found dead. Hackor would have died in the way he did in the story you got, but Aditha would have been taken by the Ironborn as well. And trust me that, compared to next chapter, these are still relatively mild consequences.

Interestingly, the possible death of Harren would have been the only way for Torvin to survive, though it would have come at a price. After his death, Harmund would have taken the throne and he would have ruled twice as cruel and half as intelligent. For starters, he would blame Garthon in particular of his father's death and would therefore make special preparations to kill him during the raid on Raylansfair. However, he wouldn't have been smart enough to capture Torvin's lover and murder his unborn child, so Torvin himself wouldn't have been broken in this route, resulting in him being more willing to retreat and Edward seeing no reason to stab him. Instead, Garthon would have been killed in the chapter finale by another character, an assassin in service of Harmund, whom you can now look forward for in Book 2 Basically, the plan was to kill off one of the Breaker brothers in this chapter and though Torvin was by far the more likely to die, I wanted to give him at least some small chance of survival.

Interesting. Well, RIP. Edward would be chill.

Damn, well, glad that happened I guess.

...if Kersea wouldn't have won Alysanne's friendship?

This one's a pretty huge one and will likely be a new main part of these 'What If's'. Certain choices would have made Kersea less of a genuine friend to Alysanne, which would have left her unwilling to turn against Clayton. This is one of the few options how Alysanne could have survived this chapter, arguably a lot less likable though. She would have thrown Raenna down the window, for still hating her with a passion. However, instead of turning against Clayton and sacrificing her life to take down Harris, she would have beaten down Kersea, nonlethally, before killing Harris together with Clayton. In the chaos of this fight, which would have ended with Clayton keeping his arm, Kersea would have escaped, but both, Clayton and Alysanne and the wildfire as well, would have remained active and a serious threat to Raylansfair.

As much as I hate her I really glad they were "friends" because that be bad and she would still be alive.

Can you explain the consequences of Wolfius being freed by Arthur? Killing Edward Anturion? And also the supporting of Argella/Hobert?

• Ah, I just noticed. And it's at 501 K already! Back when I started this thread, I never thought it would get that many views. Or comments. Or, well, anything of such scale. It's save to say, having created one of the most viewed threads in the forums feels a bit surreal, but awesome, knowing that there are quite a lot of people who regularly check out what I'm doing here. Here's to the next 500.000 indeed. Might be a goal for the next two years =)

Just noticed and wanted to congratulate you too 500 K views on this. You sure as shit deserves every single one, even though there isn't 500

• Nice. If Otis had taken Ellena would Terroma have not done anything?

If Terroma would have survived, Otis wouldn't have managed to take Ellena. He would have tried, but he wouldn't have gotten very far and an early Ellena part in Chapter 8 would have shown us exactly why Terroma was such a feared man during his active days.

Damn, well, glad that happened I guess.

I suppose this one goes to the Jenna stuff, right? If so, then well, be assured that I have revealed nothing yet, compared to the huge consequences her absence would have had on the next chapter. There's a reason why I always, even back in the day when I wasn't too keen on writing Jenna parts, have been happy that the tiny chance for her to die hasn't been taken.

Interesting. Well, RIP. Edward would be chill.

I think the readers' opinion on Edward would indeed be better in that case. He actually would have shown a more amiable side in this route and would have even consoled Torvin in Chapter 9, resulting in them parting ways on more or less good terms. It's funny, if a bit scary, how quick Edward can be to change his mood and behaviour around people, from having no problems with stabbing Torvin to being quite cordial around him if things would have been just slightly different.

As much as I hate her I really glad they were "friends" because that be bad and she would still be alive.

And, keep in mind, this Alysanne would have been much less of a sympathetic character (which she arguably has been in the eyes of many) in this route, but rather an unwavering psychopath. Her friendship with Kersea made her doubt this way of life and led to her doing an outright selfless act in saving her friend, but if she never would have doubted her ways, she would have been much, much dangerous. You remember the Alysanne you saw in Chapter 5, the one that massacred the guards sent to kill her in the warehouse? That's the one you would have had in this route, only controlled by Clayton, who would have directed her anger at some very precious targets.

Can you explain the consequences of Wolfius being freed by Arthur?

This one wouldn't have had much consequences in this chapter anymore, as the two routes would have combined here, resulting in Wolfius being free and on the hunt at the beginning of this chapter. In previous chapters, Wolfius would have killed a couple of people, most prominently Urid Strad, who therefore wouldn't have been a victim in this chapter anymore. Also, Aditha would have been seriously pissed at Arthur and would have blamed him for all of these deaths (not exactly without reason), including Lyria's, a sentiment which Rosalie would have eventually shared in the future. Her reason for running off in Chapter 7 would have also been an argument with Arthur instead of Hackor. Other than that, this choice would have changed nearly nothing in this chapter.

Killing Edward Anturion?

Ah, here's the thing. Shooting Edward wouldn't have led to his death, just like how shooting Harren hasn't killed the man. It has been mentioned that this crossbow Garthon used has extremely bad aim if shot at stuff further away. He barely hit Harren, whereas Edward stood even further away in the room. Had he been shot at, Edward would have been lightly wounded. This wound would have affected him in his fight with Willfred resulting in him taking an even worse wound (a facial disfigurement, Tyrion style) and he wouldn't have been able to stab Torvin himself, resulting in Carvin doing it instead. Naturally, this would have fuelled a severe hatred towards Willfred.

And also the supporting of Argella/Hobert?

This wouldn't have changed much in this chapter, but it will majorly influence the next one. Argella's route would have meant that she would have had slightly more authority during the raid. Supporting Hobert meanwhile would have resulted in him remaining in Raylansfair and supporting the city guard with his men, resulting in more defenders of Raylansfair surviving the battle. But as said, the main difference would have come in the next chapter. One thing I can already say, having Argella or Hobert in a position of power and having Lucas support the right side (Argella for him in the route you took, though if Hobert would have still been a serious contender by the time Argella made her offer, he could have joined him instead as well) would have meant some sort of protection from getting imprisoned by Petyr and Mullendore at the end of the chapter.

... if Terroma would have survived his fight with Marak One of the big ones right to the beginning. As you know, a certain set of cho

• And, keep in mind, this Alysanne would have been much less of a sympathetic character (which she arguably has been in the eyes of many) in this route, but rather an unwavering psychopath. Her friendship with Kersea made her doubt this way of life and led to her doing an outright selfless act in saving her friend, but if she never would have doubted her ways, she would have been much, much dangerous. You remember the Alysanne you saw in Chapter 5, the one that massacred the guards sent to kill her in the warehouse? That's the one you would have had in this route, only controlled by Clayton, who would have directed her anger at some very precious targets.

Yikes, yikes, yikes.

Ah, here's the thing. Shooting Edward wouldn't have led to his death, just like how shooting Harren hasn't killed the man. It has been mentioned that this crossbow Garthon used has extremely bad aim if shot at stuff further away. He barely hit Harren, whereas Edward stood even further away in the room. Had he been shot at, Edward would have been lightly wounded. This wound would have affected him in his fight with Willfred resulting in him taking an even worse wound (a facial disfigurement, Tyrion style) and he wouldn't have been able to stab Torvin himself, resulting in Carvin doing it instead. Naturally, this would have fuelled a severe hatred towards Willfred.

How would he be around Garthon then? Interesting though.

This wouldn't have changed much in this chapter, but it will majorly influence the next one. Argella's route would have meant that she would have had slightly more authority during the raid. Supporting Hobert meanwhile would have resulted in him remaining in Raylansfair and supporting the city guard with his men, resulting in more defenders of Raylansfair surviving the battle. But as said, the main difference would have come in the next chapter. One thing I can already say, having Argella or Hobert in a position of power and having Lucas support the right side (Argella for him in the route you took, though if Hobert would have still been a serious contender by the time Argella made her offer, he could have joined him instead as well) would have meant some sort of protection from getting imprisoned by Petyr and Mullendore at the end of the chapter.

I somewhat laugh at the possibly of Hobert being anything relevant at all. That arrogant bastard. Him protecting Lucas just makes me laugh a bit. Whenever he returns, if he does, it shall be really funny. Maybe him and ol' Donnel Selwyn can be buddies. That be nice.

Nice. If Otis had taken Ellena would Terroma have not done anything? If Terroma would have survived, Otis wouldn't have managed to t

• Act III: Wildfire

Chapter III: Valar Dohaeris

Lucas

“This is your fault”, she said sharply, as she stepped out of the shadows. His vision was blurred, the forehead right above his remaining eye was throbbing from the beating they had given him, but Lucas recognized her voice. He would have recognized it out of a thousand and just hearing it caused him to tense up.

There she stood. Her green eyes glared at him and every trace of the kindness he had fallen for was gone from her pretty face. He opened his mouth, but instead of words, he only managed to gasp, which soon turned into a heavy cough, as his dry throat ached at the attempt to speak. Her own mouth formed a thin line, almost cruel. “Pathetic”, she hissed in a chilling tone.

“Lunett...”, he finally managed to utter and she raised an eyebrow. Her face softened, if barely and now that his vision returned to him, Lucas saw the hint of red tears gathering in her eyes. “You shouldn't be surprised, Lucas”, she said. “After all you did to me, how could I not be here to be a witness of your death?”

More and more did Lucas Flowers realize his surroundings. The only source of light came from a window above him, sending a single ray of sunshine into the cold, damp room. Heavy iron bars formed the wall a few metres in front of him, the ones to his side and behind him were made of stone. There was a table, yet no bed. Not that it was necessary. They had chained him to the wall tightly, too high to prevent him from lying down, too low to prevent him from fully standing. His wrists and knees already ached from the uncomfortable position, which only added to the throbbing pain in his face, where Mullendore's men had beaten him up. The dungeons of Raylansfair. That's where they had brought him and from what he was able to tell, he was the only prisoner right now.

All alone, save for his own dark thoughts. Lunett wasn't here with him, not really. Deep down, Lucas knew this. It was a mixture of pain and weakness, maybe dehydration as well. Mullendore's men hadn't given him anything. It was as if they had left him to rot. But he knew this wouldn't be it. Mullendore wouldn't be satisfied with just leaving him to die, neither would Petyr.

“I loved you”, he gasped and a bitter streak appeared on her face, as she shook her head. “Maybe you thought you would”, she said. “Maybe you would have, in time. We'll never know. But what we do know, both of us, is that it wasn't love you felt. No, Lucas, there was only one person you ever loved, the good knight you are” Her gaze fell upon his mutilated left hand. “Or were”, she added weakly.

Tears formed in his eyes, clouding his vision again. “I shouldn't have brought you to Oldtown”, he sighed weakly. “I made a mistake and what happened to you... I will never forgive myself for putting you in such danger” Once again, she raised an eyebrow, a mocking expression that told him that this was not the real Lunett. She never would have been capable of such cruelty. “Never is a long time, Lucas”, she said. “How long do you think you still have?”

“I failed to protect you”, he said as he averted his gaze, glancing on the floor again, unable to stand the accusing look on her face. “She's not the only one you failed”, a new voice added and Lucas' head bolted upwards. There were others in the shadows of his cell and of his thoughts. He recognized the one that spoke.

“You failed to protect her. You failed to protect me”, Dairon added, as he walked out of the shadow. “It would have been so easy. Swallow your pride. Work with the grumpy old man that slighted you. But no, you haven't. You couldn't, could you?” He walked closer and the look on his face was almost as hard to stand as the one on Lunett's. He seemed thinner and more pale in Lucas' mind and his brown robe failed to hide the dark, wet spot on his chest. “It was your arrogance. It has always been your arrogance”

Lucas' breaths came faster now and through his mouth, as he looked around, recognizing more figures in the shadows. As expected, his father was there as well. Leo Vyrwel was silent, though the disappointed look on his face hit harder than everything he could have said. Dairon came closer, now standing next to Lunett. “I have trusted you”, he barked. “And I died for it” He pointed at Lunett and his voice grew louder. “She trusted you and she died, she suffered so much before that”

A pained gasp came out of Lucas' throat, as he tried to avert his gaze, focussing on one of the spots in his cell that wasn't filled with hallucinations, with regrets. Of course, it didn't remain that way for long. He inhaled deeply as he recognized the one that appeared there. “You... you are not dead”

Samantha moved her head, to look at him in the way one would look at a caged animal. “Do you know that?”, she asked. “Do you know how many of your friends survived the battle? And even if... how long do you think I will survive, now that he is in this city with me? How long until I try to kill him? Do you think I can succeed?” She sighed and unlike the fragments of Lunett and Dairon, it wasn't cruel, just bitter. “But what does it matter? You know how much I risked to save you. You know how hard I fought for you. And this is how you repay me? You die, in some hole in the ground, like a rat?”

An angry growl came out of Lucas' throat, as his mind was racing with thoughts. So many thoughts, overwhelming him. He would have fallen to his knees, but that wasn't possible. Instead, he just hung there in his chains, sobbing and burning with rage, as memory after memory flashed through his mind.

The last look his father had given him as he banished him from Darkdell. The last look Petyr had given him. The last time he had spoken to Maester Eaton. The first time he lay eyes on Lunett. Her kiss. The princess, atop the walls of Raylansfair, as he knelt in front of her. Dairon, so full of hope. The look on Harris' face as he turned on him, the disappointment. Maron Mullendore looking down at him. Harris again...

And there he was, of course. Unlike the other shadows, he wasn't standing in front of him, but crouching to his right. “May we add her to the list of your failures?”, Harris asked, his voice calm and quiet, but judging at the same time. “Lunett. Dairon. Your own father and your entire family. Samantha and so many more. Maybe even me?”

Lucas sent him a glare. “Not you”, he growled and Harris smirked thinly. “No?”, he asked. “What am I doing here then, now that you're all alone, lost in thoughts? What am I doing amongst your failures then?” Unlike Dairon, he didn't raise his voice, but he cut just as deeply. “I would have been a good ruler to this city and you know that! You thought me to be the villain here? You thought yourself to be the hero?” The look in his eyes grew colder. “Well, hero, think again. When you speak to him, think again, of those whom you have failed”

Harris moved his head into Dairon's direction and involuntarily, Lucas did the same. “You failed me”, the boy said and a sudden look of pain formed on his face. He moved a hand to his chest and as he pulled it back again, it was red with his blood. Pain and shock were mixed into one expression of agony. “Hurts... so much”, the boy mumbled weakly. “Don't want to die here...”

By now, tears streamed down Lucas' face. Lunett was crying as well, but her tears were of blood. She sank to her knees and he recognized the look of fear on her face. Behind her, Leo Vyrwel did the same, though he was gasping for air, his hands moving to his throat, as his skin turned a shade of purple. He did not avert his accusing glare from his bastard son.

Lunett was the first to scream, the same bellowing screams that had left her throat as Mullendore had pushed the knife into her eye. Dairon joined her, so did the other shadows, even the ones that hadn't fully taken on the form of someone he knew yet. The only one that remained almost silent was Harris. “Look at what you did to them”, he hissed. “Gaze your eyes upon your legacy... boy”

Now, Lucas screamed as well. It was a roaring scream, half anger, half pain and finally, words left his throat. “LEAVE ME ALONE!”, he screamed, his words echoing through the cell and the entire small dungeon. “ALONE”, the echo sounded. “Alone... lone...”

Their screams were cut off in an instant, as they were gone indeed. Their absence didn't mean silence however. There was a new source of noise, the sound of footsteps and through Lucas' tormented, clouded vision, he saw the shimmer of a torch.

Just a moment later, a man walked into his field of view, holding a torch. Lucas had no doubt that he really existed, as he was someone whom he didn't recognize. That said, it wasn't much to recognize, as the man was masked. For a moment, he tensed up as he saw the cat mask, though he slightly calmed down as he realized that this wasn't the Sphynx. Black, the Sphynx' mask was as black as his heart. This one was white, adorned with gold. He wore a tight, black vest with a high collar and a hood, effectively concealing his entire body, though sharp, green eyes stared at him from beneath the mask.

And then, the second man walked into the shimmer of the torch, instantly causing Lucas' heart to beat faster. Maron Mullendore had to use a cane just to limp forward, with fresh bandages around the damaged part of his face, but he nonetheless seemed pleased to see Lucas. “What is it, boy?”, he asked. “Already losing your mind?” He gave the man a nod. “Tom, open the door”, he said

While the man complied, Mullendore only looked at Lucas. “We heard you screaming...”, he chuckled. “Are you seeing things already? Perhaps I should have a stern word with my men. They weren't supposed to beat you up that badly” He grinned, as his companion opened the door, allowing him to enter the room. He raised an eyebrow over his undamaged eye. “What is it? No word for your old pal Maron?”

Lucas had clenched his teeth, as he sent a glare towards the man in front of him, the beast, the demon that had taken everything from him. “Where is my brother?”, he growled and Mullendore chuckled softly. “Half-brother”, he corrected him. “Upstairs. Discussing important things with Lord Tyrell”

“Leaving you to do his dirty work, like a dog”, Lucas growled and Mullendore narrowed his eye. “Careful”, he simply said in return and for a second, there was only silence and hatred between them. Finally, Lucas sighed. “What are you doing here? Why Raylansfair? Why now?”, he asked and the false knight in front of him shrugged. “Executing the next step of my plan”, he replied.

Weakly, Lucas shook his head. “Liar”, he said. “You left Oldtown because you lost” Mullendore's grin got smaller. “I left Oldtown because my work there was done”, he claimed, though Lucas saw through this. A desperate smile formed on his hollow face. “You're lying again”, he said. “You lost, in some way at least” He gazed at the bandages on the other man's face and to his stiff leg. “And someone did this to you”

Almost instantly, Mullendore tensed up. He gave his companion a look, who entered the room at last. The masked man walked up next to him and Mullendore nodded slightly. Lucas started to breath faster, as the man clenched his fist. A second later, it hit him in the stomach. Though it wasn't a particularly hard hit, it still pressed the air out of his weakened lungs. His weak knees gave in and the chains that bound him cut deep into his wrist as he slumped over.

Mullendore's grin reappeared. “Boy, this is the Tom”, he introduced his companion. “He is going to make sure that you will behave during our talk” Instead of giving in, Lucas allowed his anger to control his next actions. “You mean he's going to beat me up whenever you feel like it”, he said. “Because you can't do it anymore... cripple”

He shouldn't have said this. It would have been wiser, but Lucas knew there was little he could do either way. There wouldn't be a miraculous rescue for him this time and it was odd how okay he was with it. Perhaps... perhaps this was how it was supposed to be. The only thing he had left to do was to choose the moment of his death.

The false knight started to shiver with anger. “What have you said?”, he asked tonelessly and Lucas gave him a brave smile. “Cripple”, he repeated, right to his face. With a roar of anger, Mullendore raised his cane. Despite his wounds, his strength was still terrific and without holding back, he slammed the tip of the wood right into the ruin of Lucas' eye, beneath the patch.

For a second, there was nothing. Lucas felt afloat, at least for a tiny moment, before his body was capable of acknowledging the pain for what it was. The force of Mullendore's blow, right against the ruined tissue on his eye, was enough to make his head slam back against the wall. A deep scream of pain came from his throat and he only half realized it.

Mullendore himself had staggered from the blow and with a groan, he went onto one knee. The Tom was there to help him up, but with an annoyed glare, his hand was shaken off. “Leave me, freak”, Mullendore growled. “I can do this. I can do this” As Lucas sank even further to the ground, his vision blurry, the voices muffled, he tried his best not to fall unconscious. Who knew what Mullendore would do to him if he'd fall unconscious now?

It took him a long time to pull himself together, though he finally found the strength to raise his head again, not defiantly this time, though with fear. The pain was still there, it was still immense, almost as bad as losing his eye in the first place. Tears from his good eye got mixed with the blood that poured down the reopened wound below the eyepatch. With irregular breath, it took him a while to utter the following words. “Just get it over with”, he gasped. “You already killed me once”

With a satisfied smile, Mullendore stood straight again, though Lucas saw the toll this display of force had taken on him. He was sweating, breathing heavily and likely in similar pain. Yet he stood there, free and proud, whereas Lucas was reduced to a prisoner once more. “I don't want you dead, not now”, Mullendore said. “Just watch your tongue. You won't need it for our next step”

Our next step?”, Lucas managed to utter and Mullendore nodded. “Indeed. I believe there is a lot to talk about” This time, Lucas clenched his teeth, as a distant thought, faintly hopeful, formed in his mind. “Indeed there is”, he spoke, as he looked down onto the tabard he was still wearing. “You see this? It means that you should think twice before you do anything further to me”

Mullendore raised an eyebrow. “I noticed the stag”, he said. “It means you're a traitor to the Reach” He wanted to say something else, though Lucas cut him off. “It means I am sworn to House Durrandon of Storm's End!”, he barked. “It means there is only one person in this city that has the right to judge me. It means you should let me go, or else this will end badly for you!”

A grin of disbelief flashed across Mullendore's face. “Princess Argella”, he said mockingly. “You put your hopes in her?” He shook his head. “The stag is on your tabard, but she's merely a scared little fawn”, he growled. “Not a stag, not even a man. I don't fear a little girl's fury”

“What about her father then?”, Lucas replied calmly. “Do you think he will be pleased?” Mullendore shook his head. “I doubt it”, he said. “But what do you think is going to happen? Will he march to war for one knight he never even met?” He shrugged. “And if he does... good

The tone in which he spoke caused Lucas' eye to widen. “You want war?” he said. Mullendore smirked. “A war between Stormlands and Reach”, he answered. “Nobody would be further away from this fight than me, here at the western coast. And such a war would only benefit the true king”

“True king...”, Lucas mumbled tonelessly, as he realized how important these words were. “Whom do you serve?” Mullendore's smirk faded, as his face grew stern again. “The most powerful king in this world”, he replied. “The only man I trust with bringing peace to the Reach. The only one strong enough” He sighed, cutting off Lucas' question. “But enough about this. I won't speak more of it. We have business to attend to” With these words, he gave the Tom a nod. The masked man reached into the inner pocket of his vest, pulling out a small scroll. Lucas narrowed his good eye. “What is this?”, he asked.

Mullendore chuckled softly as he took the scroll. “A confession”, he revealed. “It's all written down already. How you lured this girl away from her father's tavern. Raped her. Mutilated her. Killed her, after putting her through so much pain” He shook his head. “Poor sweet Lunett. And how you killed Dairon, my beloved son”

This time, he couldn't contain an audacious grin. “And all the others you murdered, all for your sick lust for power”, he spoke. “It was a brilliant scheme, that must I admit, but now it's over. Now I got you. And you will sign this confession for me, so that you can be properly sentenced”

As he stopped speaking, there was silence. Lucas stared at him in disbelief and the sheer audacity of Mullendore's order caused him to smile weakly, completely baffled at what he just heard. “Are you... insane?”, he asked. “Why should I do that? You're... gods, you're crazy!”

“Am I?”, Mullendore asked calmly and his serene tone was worse than his previous anger. It told Lucas that he had a plan. “I don't think so. And I know you will sign this once you hear my offer” Confusion formed on Lucas' face. “You're making me an offer?”, he gasped, still in disbelief.

Mullendore nodded to this. “You'll get no better one and you'll only get it once”, he warned him. “If you sign this, I will not kill you” Lucas raised an eyebrow, though the other man cut him off. “And if you say that I already killed you, then think again. I merely took some bits of you. I promise, it could be much worse and if you don't sign this, it will be much worse”

“Your offer?”, Lucas asked and Mullendore took a deep breath. “You will not serve your little girl or her father. You won't wear their colours, you'll never see Storm's End and you will have to leave Raylansfair”, he explained. “If you sign this, you are a murderer. You are scum” He chuckled. “Hells, you already are scum, for standing in my way. But there is a place in this world where scum like you can still serve a purpose”

Lucas pressed his lips together, as he realized what Mullendore was saying. “The Wall”, he mumbled and the false knight gave him a nod. “Sadly, the Night's Watch is always open for men like you. Consider it your second chance. Your new life, far away from me, with no ways of ever interfering with my plans”

“You want a scapegoat”, Lucas spat. “You want to get away with all the murders you committed” Nonchalantly, Mullendore gave him a nod. “You have harmed my plans tremendously”, he replied. “Maybe you can be good for something in the end, boy” He grinned. “It is a good offer. Your friend Leonard, he won't get such a nice one”

When Lucas hesitated to answer, a wicked look formed on Mullendore's face. “Trust me, you will sign”, he said. “Just like how you broke down in my dungeons. The Sphynx should arrive soon and he has ways to make you do it, as you're well aware” He moved the fingers of his left hand in a mocking way. “And if he can't... well, then we shall talk again and boy, you know how convincing I can be” He held the scroll in front of Lucas. As he spoke, his voice was chillingly cold. “Save me the time and you a lot of pain. Just swallow your pride, sign the confession and we can both move on from this”

[Agree to sign the confession] [Refuse to sign it]

• How would he be around Garthon then? Interesting though.

Him and Garthon wouldn't get much chance to interact with each other, very much like in the route that won. However, there would have been hints that he is very angry at him, whereas now he barely acknowledges Garthon as an existing person. At the end of the chapter, Torvin would still be dead and Garthon would be taken prisoner, while Anturion and his group would have escaped, meaning that their ways would have parted. It might influence future stuff though, in that case I'm going to let you know!

I somewhat laugh at the possibly of Hobert being anything relevant at all. That arrogant bastard. Him protecting Lucas just makes me laugh a bit. Whenever he returns, if he does, it shall be really funny. Maybe him and ol' Donnel Selwyn can be buddies. That be nice.

Hehe, he is indeed arrogant, though for all his flaws, Hobert is not really that much of a bad guy, just a sleazy douche. If Lucas would have gotten a chance to get on his good side, he could have been an ally, very much like how Argella is now, just a lot less powerful of course. But as a Lord of the Reach, he has a certain authority, which he would have used to help Lucas as much as possible. I believe he and Donnel would get along splendidly though! There are some similarities in the way they want things to get done and I could see Donnel to have the kind of personality Hobert would respect and look up to.

And, keep in mind, this Alysanne would have been much less of a sympathetic character (which she arguably has been in the eyes of many) in t

• edited February 2017

[Refuse to sign it] Yeah screw that. Mullendore ain't winning this one. First, Mullendore will find a way to kill Lucas even if he signs it. Second, Signing the confession would put Mullendore in a good position and we need all the enemies we can get aganist him. It is a heavy price, but I think its worth it.

Act III: Wildfire Chapter III: Valar Dohaeris Lucas “This is your fault”, she said sharply, as she stepped out of the shadows. His

Sign in to comment in this discussion.