Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• [Take Leo with you]

Lucas It was only for a moment that Lucas actually considered the offer. A new life for him at the Wall, one where the mistakes of his pa

• An unhonorable knight? There is no such thing.

A certain Ser Maron Mullendore would like to have a word with you ;) That said, maybe this is one of the rare knights who are genuinely honourable, just with a slightly odd way of showing it, like basically occupying a bridge and demanding duels to let others cross. It's a far shot, but not every knight can be a bastard, right?

In all honesty however, they are a capable bunch, and having someone in your team that feels excluded is just a recipe for disaster.

The problem is, Leo already feels very much excluded. He has listened to Edrick and co. talking and he knows they don't trust him, which explains a lot about how harshly he reacted in this part towards all of them. Ever since Edrick chose Dante over him, there has been a rift between them and neither man has made any progress with overcoming it so far.

Bounden posted: »

[Take Leo with you] An unhonorable knight? There is no such thing. There could not possibly be a trap laid by the knight. In all honesty how

• If only we try to go to the nice ironborn everything would be fine.

Actually, I originally have thought about including a choice to go to the Ironborn instead of going to the knight. However, the knight path will introduce two characters whom I couldn't quite introduce otherwise, so I settled with a different choice instead and made this detail not up to your decision. This should be interesting as well, even if we don't get to see the nice Ironborn now =)

[Leave Leo as back-up] We'll be like cops, and once this evitably goes south we can call for backup. It'll be good. If only we try to go to the nice ironborn everything would be fine.

• Lucas had a really nice chat with The Tom fists

They got along splendidly! I'd even go as far as to say I ship it. This ship shall be named Fiscas and it is glorious. But yeah, in all seriousness that really hurt, because the Tom knows how to punch someone quite heavily. Though I have the feeling he might soon prefer these punches over what is going to follow now.

Edrick can't read!He is a TRUE northener!

Oh, you got that wrong. He can read, if not particularly well. It's the writing he never truly got the hang off. If you give him something to read, he can do so, although he has to do it loudly and with putting his finger under each letter. Kind of like Season 4 Davos. However, unlike Davos he doesn't really want to learn it.

Lord Jarow has return from the dead!And this time he has a horse!

And an armour! And he already has the first pissed off person that just wants to get over the bridge. However, there is going to be an essential twist to the Lord of Bridges and this Riverlander bridge troll we're going to encounter in Edrick's next part.

About the choice I will not,for now, chose

As always, that is totally alright. It's not meant to be an easy choice and I hope it isn't, so if you're having trouble deciding for the better course of action, there's no shame in skipping this one.

RT: * Lucas had a really nice chat with The Tom fists * Edrick can't read!He is a TRUE northener! * Lord Jarow has return from the de

• You're mistaken there, they are true Northerners and therefore they are all good cops, honourable beyond reason. There are no bad cops on their side. Though I'd totally watch a buddy police series about this unlikely team of cops who have to investigate in the disappearance of Alys Boleyn. I'm sure this would be awesome :D

Northener special forces!Edrick and Alphyn will be the bad cops while Dante and Darreth the good ones!

• Lucas' part was nice, but I sure hope that last sentence wasn't foreshadowing D: Anyway, I'm really looking forward to his conversation with Petyr.

Well, it's obviously something I cannot comment on too much. At least Lucas is convinced that he is going to die here, as seen by the stuff Harris said here. But well, he is not without allies and then there's still the talk with Petyr, which might mean some faint hope. We'll see more about him and his newfound situation soon.

Anyway, nice to see the Northern gang back in the action! :)

Very glad to hear it! Edrick and co. have been gone for the longest time, because Jaron and his group have at least been seen in the Chapter 7 finale. I hope their reintroduction and their changed setting has gone as smoothly as I hoped it to be, because this storyline is just about to get started.

Lucas' part was nice, but I sure hope that last sentence wasn't foreshadowing Anyway, I'm really looking forward to his conversation with P

• Do we have another Lord of the bridges? XD

Quite possible :D I must say, the comparison didn't even occur to me until you and The_not_chosen_one have pointed it out. There are indeed similarities, although I can say that this character is very much different as well in several key characteristics. It's a character I can't wait to introduce and one whom I have planned to appear at this point for a seriously long time.

AgentZ46 posted: »

[Leave Leo as back-up] It'll piss him off sure but this is the better plan, we can't just change it because we're worried about hurting someone's feelings. Do we have another Lord of the bridges? XD

• [Leave Leo as back-up]

Given that Leo comes with us regardless of our choice and there's been quite a few choices already that involve Leo and Edrick's friendship, I wonder if there's something big planned where we might need his help.

Also poor Lucas. D:

Lucas It was only for a moment that Lucas actually considered the offer. A new life for him at the Wall, one where the mistakes of his pa

• my boy Jarow is back!...well at lest in spirit

[Take Leo with you]

• Hehe, I see the similarities. That said, there is one very important key difference, even beyond the thing that this character is, at best, the Knight of Bridges.

Interestingly, both characters have been submitted on the same day, the 15th of January 2015 (It's crazy how much time has passed since then :o) This knight has been submitted roughly five hours before you submitted Jarow and considering how early I had the idea of this knight guarding a bridge, it's likely that Jarow subconsciously gave me the idea. So, in a certain way, we got us a spiritual successor here ;) Though to be fair I must also say, don't expect too many Jarow similarities. There are other characters who will carry his spirit on in a better way.

husmusen posted: »

my boy Jarow is back!...well at lest in spirit [Take Leo with you]

• [Take Leo with you] I'll give him a chance.

• the 15th of January 2015 (It's crazy how much time has passed since then :o)

The fact that's 26 months ago actually scares me, it feels like yesterday, time's a strange thing.

Hehe, I see the similarities. That said, there is one very important key difference, even beyond the thing that this character is, at best,

• edited March 2017

I'm worried for Lucas, I feel like he is more destined for death now than he ever was. Considering how you mentioned that this Lucas part would be needed to start Drent's POV and how Lucas is now relying on his allies, I believe Leonard and the Stormlanders will be the ones to attempt to rescue Lucas. Hopefully they can, if I'm correct that is.

Also, great to see Edrick back! This was a great return for Edrick and hopefully he can really grow to one of my favorite POVs.

[Take Leo with you] He's clearly pissed off and I don't think the back-up plan is all that necessary, so let's just take him with us.

• Damn, seeing the number of months written out is indeed scary. It's almost overwhelming to think how wrong I have been when I thought I would be through with Book 1 around Easter... 2015. Yes, that was my original plan and the one I have told several readers as to when they can expect their characters. But well, 2 years later I am finally at the point I wanted to be back then. Yay for good planning, I guess :D

Arrodor posted: »

the 15th of January 2015 (It's crazy how much time has passed since then ) The fact that's 26 months ago actually scares me, it feels like yesterday, time's a strange thing.

• I'm worried for Lucas, I feel like he is more destined for death now than he ever was. Considering how you mentioned that this Lucas part would be needed to start Drent's POV and how Lucas is now relying on his allies, I believe Leonard and the Stormlanders will be the ones to attempt to rescue Lucas. Hopefully they can, if I'm correct that is.

Your worry is certainly not unfounded. Lucas is at the mercy of at least one man that wants him dead and his situation is at least as grim as back in Mullendore's prison in Chapter 5, potentially even worse. His death is certainly not unthinkable at this point and this is the most danger he has been in so far. Yet at the same time, Leonard and especially the Stormlanders won't just give up on him and then there are others as well. Samantha already risked everything to save him once, John is his friend and Jenna has already decided that she can't just look away from that situation. We'll see how this is going to work out.

Also, great to see Edrick back! This was a great return for Edrick and hopefully he can really grow to one of my favorite POVs.

Glad to hear it :) Edrick is one I feel has gotten little to do so far, though at the same time his storyline is among the ones I look forward for the most, so hopefully he can indeed grow on you. His storyline in this chapter should at least be more exciting than the recruiting sessions of the last two chapters, as important as they were for the things that will follow.

Partition posted: »

I'm worried for Lucas, I feel like he is more destined for death now than he ever was. Considering how you mentioned that this Lucas part wo

• The Voting is closed!

Edrick is going to take Leo with him

This was a very close voting, with a 8-7 majority in favour of taking Leo. It was also an important voting for how Leo is going to see Edrick. If it was a wise idea... well, that's up to you to decide once you learn about the future of this storyline. Edrick is going to have three parts in this chapter, which means he will have one of the longer storylines, considering that most will only have one or two parts to wrap up their storyline in this final chapter of Book 1. And I certainly look forward for Edrick's next part, which was, coincidentally, among the earliest planned in his entire storyline.

The next part is hopefully going to be out today. As almost always, I cannot promise it, because this is going to be a long part, likely at twice the length of a usual one. It will mark the beginning of Drent's storyline in this chapter and it will deal with the aftermath of the Stormlander involvement in the raid, where they managed to hold the southern gate against Bear's men for a long time, giving the rest of the city a fighting chance in the process, but paying with a hefty toll on their numbers. Among others, Sergeant Montclair was killed, but not by raiders, but by a mysterious archer who was apparently shot by Edonia in return. For all you know, the archer was aiming at Argella, but Montclair got in the way and for this bravery, he was knighted on his deathbed. Emphryus Dresfel was also heavily wounded, though unlike others, he survived. Drent's next part will start on the next morning, around the same time as Lucas' first part.

And well... I got a little something for you. Since the Tv Tropes page is taking me a bit longer than planned (on account of me getting sidetracked with yet another fun and tropey project ;)), I decided to give you at least something already. Though be assured, the Tropes are on a good way and finishing them shouldn't take me all that much longer. I'm sure you're going to like the result, I myself am very happy with it so far. Until then, here is something you might be interested in. A while ago, I mentioned that I might need to reveal every Book 2 chapter title at once and well, having put some thought into it, I decided that this is indeed the way it has to be, due to reasons of making things easier for me in maintaining the wiki, once the time has come. It will also mean that these will most likely be the last chapter titles you're going to get for the next 2+ years, so cherish them :D They are mostly in a final version, though one or two of them might change later on, as unlikely as it seems right now. I'm rather happy with them and I hope they give you some ideas for stuff that might happen in Book 2. Without further ado, here they are:

Act 1: The Calm Before

Chapter 1: Fires Far

Chapter 2: Thorns

Chapter 3: Ours is the Fury

Act 2: With Chains of Iron

Chapter 4: The Lamb

Chapter 5: Song of the Warrior

Chapter 6: River Crossing

Chapter 7: Riptide

Act 3: Rainfall

Chapter 8: From Ashes

Chapter 9: The Fangs of Winter

Chapter 10: All For Our Pride

Well... feel free to speculate if you like, you know your thoughts are appreciated. These titles can now also be found in the main post, together with the Book 2 "cover" of a certain House Reyne.

• These titles all look very interesting. I am guessing that Chapter 3 is going to be about good ol' House Durrandon, and chapter 5 maybe about the Freys? I am especially excited for Act 2, and judging by the name I won't be dissapointed.

The Voting is closed! Edrick is going to take Leo with him This was a very close voting, with a 8-7 majority in favour of taking Leo.

• edited March 2017

The fact that the Reyne seal is the cover of the next book and that the last chapter use that family words makes me believe that Willfred and his family will be very important in the next book!HYPE

The Voting is closed! Edrick is going to take Leo with him This was a very close voting, with a 8-7 majority in favour of taking Leo.

• Ah, some interesting thoughts. What I can say is, Act 2 is going to be my favourite. I already know it before even writing the first Act, but there is so much cool stuff in Book 2, so many interesting events, cool characters, development, tragic deaths, not so tragic deaths, as well as the one moment that was the first I have ever planned in the entire story, the one that convinced me to even consider writing it and the one that remained strangely intact throughout different stages of planning. Without wanting to spoil too much, both houses you mentioned, Durrandon and Frey, will get increased screentime in Book 2 and Chapter 3 is indeed putting some good importance on the former. For starters, we'll see the Storm King in more than one chapter this time and Lord Frey will also make his return of course.

Bounden posted: »

These titles all look very interesting. I am guessing that Chapter 3 is going to be about good ol' House Durrandon, and chapter 5 maybe about the Freys? I am especially excited for Act 2, and judging by the name I won't be dissapointed.

• It's true, House Reyne is going to massively increase in importance in Book 2. There is an entire family that only appeared in a single chapter and I plan to develop them greatly in the coming ten chapters. Obviously, the final chapter title means that they will play a key role in there as well, though the title is more than just that ;) In general, I have tried my best to choose titles that, with very few exceptions, can be used for several plot points in the respective chapter and All for our Pride is not only hinting at the Reyne words.

The fact that the Reyne seal is the cover of the next book and that the last chapter use that family words makes me believe that Willfred and his family will be very important in the next book!HYPE

• Well... feel free to speculate if you like, you know your thoughts are appreciated.

Well then, let's speculate! :D

Chapter 1: Fires Far - Well, for this one I don't really have much ideas, but I expect it to be mostly build up anyway, being the first chapter of the book.

Chapter 2: Thorns - Tyrells? Gardeners? Really hard to tell what exactly could this title imply, but I'm expecting this chapter to be heavily revolved around the power dynamics of the Reach. After all, we have many strong/somewhat strong political figures there, with possibly contradicting interests: King Mern Gardener, Lord Harlen Tyrell, Lord Mafred Hightower, Mullendore... Not to mention that the situation is quite hazard in both Raylansfair and Oldtown.

Chapter 3: Ours is the Fury - Well, the obvious thing is that the Durrandon's will have a big role, or at least some of them. I assume we'll be getting a storyline in the Stormlands, perhaps some more development for Argella and Argilac.

Chapter 4: The Lamb - Lamb to be sacrificed? Not really other thoughts about this :D

Chapter 5: Song of the Warrior - War? Battle? Could Aegon be starting his campaign in this chapter?

Chapter 6: River Crossing - This seems like an obvious hint towards House Frey and the Twins, and I could see that being a major location in this chapter. What's interesting is that the Frey's probably wouldn't be the bad guys in this case.

Chapter 7: Riptide - Well, this is a harder one to speculate, since it's quite vague. However, perhaps we could see a battle on the sea? Battle in the waters off Gulltown, to be presice ;) Hah, perhaps a bit too far fetched speculation from that title :D

Chapter 8: From Ashes - From ashes? So, that would imply some sort of flames before this chapter... Hmm, perhaps I wasn't so far off with my guess on chapter 7.

Chapter 9: The Fangs of Winter - All I can really take from this is that, well, Winter is Coming :D

Chapter 10: All For Our Pride - Obviously a big chapter for House Reyne (as the whole Book 2 probably will be), but this is already so far in the future that it's nearly impossible to speculate.

• This is some very good speculation! I'll try my best to comment on your thoughts without spoiling anything.

Chapter 1: Fires Far - Well, for this one I don't really have much ideas, but I expect it to be mostly build up anyway, being the first chapter of the book.

It will indeed be build-up, that much is for sure, being the first chapter and all, but make no mistake there, the stakes are incredibly high. Unlikely the relatively calm Chapter 1 of Book 1, this is going to have a certain body-count though I am not yet sure how high it will be. Probably depending on your choices. Expect build-up for many storylines, but build-up with high stakes ;)

Chapter 2: Thorns - Tyrells? Gardeners? Really hard to tell what exactly could this title imply, but I'm expecting this chapter to be heavily revolved around the power dynamics of the Reach. After all, we have many strong/somewhat strong political figures there, with possibly contradicting interests: King Mern Gardener, Lord Harlen Tyrell, Lord Mafred Hightower, Mullendore... Not to mention that the situation is quite hazard in both Raylansfair and Oldtown.

One thing I can reveal is, this is going to be one of the few chapters with a literal meaning on top of some figurative stuff. It was one I wasn't too sure about, but ultimately I am very happy with the way the title fits together with the rest. You have very interesting thoughts there and regardless of wether or not it will play a role in this chapter, the dynamics in the Reach will be a massive focus in Book 2, that much is for sure, so it is likely that at least some of it will be seen in this chapter.

Chapter 3: Ours is the Fury - Well, the obvious thing is that the Durrandon's will have a big role, or at least some of them. I assume we'll be getting a storyline in the Stormlands, perhaps some more development for Argella and Argilac.

Yeah, this is one of the more obvious ones, the Durrandon's will indeed get a good focus here. Well, one of them at the very least. It's going to be a chapter that went through quite the development process, being originally planned highly differently.

Chapter 4: The Lamb - Lamb to be sacrificed? Not really other thoughts about this :D

Hehe, this is going to be one of the more cryptic ones for a while, but I think I can safely tease more about this chapter. The titular lamb does refer to a character. To several characters actually and not all of them are the ones you would associate with lambs.

Chapter 5: Song of the Warrior - War? Battle? Could Aegon be starting his campaign in this chapter?

War indeed. Aegon? Maybe. This is one I can't comment on too much in fear of giving an important detail away, but all I can say is that it will introduce a very interesting part of the storyline, one I have been highly looking forward for for a while now and one of several reasons for me to expand Book 2 to 10 chapters.

Chapter 6: River Crossing - This seems like an obvious hint towards House Frey and the Twins, and I could see that being a major location in this chapter. What's interesting is that the Frey's probably wouldn't be the bad guys in this case.

I find it interesting that so many have immediately drawn a connection to the Frey's, considering that I at least considered the Lord of the Crossing to be a more obscure title among the dozens that are mentioned over the course of the books. This is one of the chapters with several meanings, but yes, it is likely that House Frey will shine here and considering their current lord, it is entirely in the realms of possible that they won't be the bad guys this time.

Chapter 7: Riptide - Well, this is a harder one to speculate, since it's quite vague. However, perhaps we could see a battle on the sea? Battle in the waters off Gulltown, to be presice ;) Hah, perhaps a bit too far fetched speculation from that title :D

Fun fact, I considered Riptide to be the easiest, so much that I was afraid it would be seen as too easy :D I guess that is mostly because I know exactly what is going to happen in it and have known it for a very long time. Originally planned to be Chapter 6, but always planned to be the Act 2 finale, Riptide is going to include the moment that convinced me to try my hands at writing this story and is therefore the chapter I look forward for the most.

Chapter 8: From Ashes - From ashes? So, that would imply some sort of flames before this chapter... Hmm, perhaps I wasn't so far off with my guess on chapter 7.

One thing I can safely reveal is that one of the new PoV characters in Book 2 will come from a custom house whose words are Reborn from Ashes and originally, this was even supposed to be the chapter title, though I ultimately decided for a more sleeker title by removing the first word. Not everything will be reborn in this chapter ;) But well, I can't comment on your speculation too much, but yes, the implication is that there has previously been some sort of fire involved.

Chapter 9: The Fangs of Winter - All I can really take from this is that, well, Winter is Coming :D

Oh yes, it is. This is the last chapter I have decided upon, just yesterday in fact, when I was thinking about this damn penultimate chapter. It is one of the chapters with several meanings, only one of them semi-literal. The main meaning of this chapter is slightly abstract and will likely only make sense once it is spilled out, but yes, winter will be involved.

Chapter 10: All For Our Pride - Obviously a big chapter for House Reyne (as the whole Book 2 probably will be), but this is already so far in the future that it's nearly impossible to speculate.

Just like the chapter before has been the last I have decided upon, this one has been the first I have decided upon, even before fully deciding for the titles of Book 1 Act 2. I always knew I wanted to give the Reyne's some nice spotlight in Book 2 and wanted to focus the final chapter on stuff involving them, though it won't be the only time pride is going to be involved in this chapter. All in all, this might very well be for Book 2 what Chapter 8 has been for Book 1.

Well... feel free to speculate if you like, you know your thoughts are appreciated. Well then, let's speculate! Chapter 1: Fires

• Act 3: Rainfall

You're killing some of the Reynes in this act I just know it.

• Hey, I got another drawing to share with you all - hopefully I managed to post this before the next part :D Anyway, it's a portrait of arguably one of the coolest characters in the story, Samuel Harrington aka the Fang of the Shadows:

enter image description here

• I always pictured him with black hair, but overall his facial structure looks somewhat like what I pictured. Which is kind of strange to me.

Good job, especially the eyes, they look very determined, which makes sense due to his current objective.

Hey, I got another drawing to share with you all - hopefully I managed to post this before the next part Anyway, it's a portrait of arguably one of the coolest characters in the story, Samuel Harrington aka the Fang of the Shadows:

• Ahh, I'm so psyched for Book 2!!

• Whoa, that is a great surprise! I have not expected a new portrait, especially not a Samuel one, so this is awesome =) And well, I find it amazing how you manage to make each new portrait even better than before. This one is certainly a big contender for my favourite portrait ever. You not only managed to make him look like I imagined him in general (which, in turn, has also been influenced by your earlier drawing), but you also gave him a really fitting expression, probably one of the most intense you ever created. I really love it and well, this is a seriously fitting portrait for Jaron's storyline in this chapter, as it more or less captures everything Samuel is about in the next couple of parts. A cool portrait for a cool character and definitely one for my all-time favourites. Thank you very much!

Also, you certainly managed to post this before the next part =) I'm afraid it will take me this entire day to finish it, as it got longer than planned and I got more busy than expected yesterday. I hope the wait will be worth it :D

Hey, I got another drawing to share with you all - hopefully I managed to post this before the next part Anyway, it's a portrait of arguably one of the coolest characters in the story, Samuel Harrington aka the Fang of the Shadows:

• Wow this looks amazing. When I created Samuel, I imagined him looking a lot like this. You captured the scar perfectly, his intense glare looks like he's staring at my soul xD which is great! All of your portraits look great, but this one holds a special place in my heart. Great work as always!

• Och, i like this one very much, especially face expression.

Can I have request for the healer to get the portrait? :-)

• That's actually a good idea! I'll probably draw her next :)

Mathea posted: »

Och, i like this one very much, especially face expression. Can I have request for the healer to get the portrait? :-)

That's actually a good idea! I'll probably draw her next

• Many apologies for keeping you waiting for an entire additional day! As you can see, this part is indeed longer than planned, at the length of two regular parts and I still struggled at keeping it in these boundaries to release it in time. Despite the wait, I hope you will enjoy the read :)

Drent

Ser Emphryus looked up and smirked weakly as Drent passed his bed. They had brought the wounded knight to a larger room, together with several other wounded. Compared to them, Dresfel was almost calm, only a mildly pained look on his face showing how miserable he truly felt. “Nice of you to pay me a visit, Golton”, he said. “How are things going out there?”

Drent sighed, as he sat down on a chair next to the bed. He quickly glanced around, his gaze falling upon the men who had been less lucky than Emphryus. The knight had been heavily wounded, though most of these wounds were mere bruises, or superficial cuts. The mass of them was painful, but aside from a lot of pain, he was fine and there were few doubts that he would make a full recovery eventually.

“Not good”, he admitted. “These people who saved us, they took our new knight as their prisoner” Emphryus raised an eyebrow. “Lucas?”, he asked. “That is... concerning. Never thought anyone would dare such a thing. I bet Argella is not amused”

Drent shook his head. “I've never seen her that angry before”, he said. “She plans to confront this Mullendore very soon. Edonia is already gathering the men. Though the princess herself is paying her respects to Montclair right now” He noticed how the frown on Emphryus' face grew stronger as he mentioned the late sergeant. “Jax... Ser Jax was a good man”, he sighed. “He deserved better”

“They all did”, Drent replied. “Twenty men, just... taken from us. This raid took almost half of our troops” He gulped as he spoke. “And I am afraid that those who remain won't be enough to force the knight's freedom” Now, Emphryus smirked. “Who would dare opposing us?”, he asked. “You'll find a way, Golton. You and her”

A smile formed on his face, though it was gone in an instant, as he reached for Drent's forearm. “Listen...”, he gasped and forced himself slightly up, a move that obviously put him through a lot of pain. “There is one thing you have to do for me” His voice grew deadly serious as he continued. “Protect her. I want to free Lucas, he's one of us now. But he's not worth her life and this is something Argella has to learn”

“So, you suggest leaving him?”, Drent asked and Emphryus sunk back onto his bed as he shook his head. “That's not what I meant”, he clarified. “I want her to try and save him, but if it doesn't work, then I don't want her to risk her life for him” He narrowed his eyes. “Give me a week and I'll be back on my feet. I can do it myself then. But something tells me this whole affair can't wait for a week”, he growled. “That's why I need you to do it. Can you do that for me?”

Almost instantly, Drent gave him a nod. “Yes, Ser”, he confirmed, though it didn't came hard for him. This was something he himself wanted to do in either way. The princess had survived the battle only narrowly. Montclair had paid the price for it. The last thing he wanted now was to see her throwing herself into danger yet again.

“Good”, Emphryus said, his smile returning as he breathed calmly. “Now grant me some rest. Thank you for coming. You put my mind at ease” Drent saluted in front of him, before he stepped away from the bed and turned to the door, to allow the knight to find some sleep.

Stepping out of the large room was a big relief for Drent. There was something unsettling about the sight of so many wounded, quite a number of which were part of the group he had lived with for over two months now. Most of them were sleeping, but their faces showed the pain of their wounds. Emphryus would recover, but there were some among them who wouldn't.

As he walked down the hallway, he stopped next to an open door, which was guarded by Torrence Bernile. He was technically among the wounded, but had insisted on getting back on his feet after being patched up somewhat. Still a bit pale, he nonetheless stood straight and had a proud look on his face, as the one left in charge of guarding the princess in this moment.

The two men exchanged a wordless nod as a greeting. “How's Dresfel?”, Torrence asked and Drent glanced at the far end of the hallway, where he just came from. “He'll live”, he replied and Torrence sighed. “He's among the lucky ones then”, he stated and Drent grimly looked past him, into the room that was used to contain the dead Stormlanders for now, until they would be able to be brought back to their homelands.

“Perhaps... she'd like a word with you”, Torrence said. “You can tell her that Edonia did what she asked for. The men are gathered in the courtyard... Those that are left anyways. Tariel is there as well, though I could really do this without her”

Drent gave him a nod. “Same”, he agreed. “She lied to the king. Lied to the princess. Lied to us. Who cares if that other woman betrayed her? If it wouldn't be for her, we would still be in Storm's End” Torrence narrowed his eyes. “She'll get what's coming to her in time. King Argilac will make sure of that”

A bitter smirk formed on Drent's face, though the memory of the death of so many around him prevented any genuine joy. “He's not known for his mercy, that much is for sure” His face hardened again. “And what she did during the raid...” He shook his head. “I don't understand why Argella allows her to walk freely”

“Her punishment is not mine to decide”, the voice of the princess sounded, more sombre than Drent knew of her, but not without sharpness. Torrence frowned as he heard her voice and Drent gulped as she walked into his field of view, seeing the look in her eyes. “Come in, Drent”, she said quietly.

With a look at Torrence, Drent tensed up as he walked into the room he had hoped to avoid. Two dozen men were lying here, put to rest on mere wooden tables. Some of them looked peaceful in death, though the majority clearly died in pain, something that reflected in their expressions. It was hard to look at them and even worse as he spotted Jax Montclair, lying in the centre of the room.

The princess wore black today, a wide dress, closing up to her neck, wearing her hair in a fittingly strict braided bun. She looked paler than usual and he spotted dark rings beneath her eyes. It seemed this was something they had in common, for he hadn't found any sleep either.

“How is Emphryus doing?”, she asked, as he walked up to her, next to the table they had put Montclair's body to rest on. “He will survive”, Drent replied and she nodded calmly. “I don't know what I would do without him”, she admitted. “I ignored his advice for so long, thinking I'd know better, but when I saw him lying there, I... was afraid I'd never get the chance to again”

In silence, both looked at Jax Montclair's body. Despite the pain he had been in during his moment of dying, he belonged to those that looked peaceful as they lay there. His eyes were closed, the hint of a smile on his usually so stern face. He was still wearing the tunic he died in, though someone removed the armour at least and cleaned the wounds, if rudimentary. Through the holes in the clothing, Drent saw the darkened flesh around the wounds.

“How can he look so peaceful?”, Argella asked thinly. Drent glanced at her, noticing how tense she was. “He died happily”, he explained and she raised an eyebrow. “How can anyone be happy about their own death?”, she asked. “He's... gone” She wasn't crying but Drent saw how close she was to it.

“He did his duty”, he said, trying to soften her mood a bit. “And you gave him his heart's desire for it” Momentarily, a smile formed on Argella's face, though her frown replaced it quickly. “I wish I hadn't”, she revealed and Drent raised an eyebrow. “I wish there would have never been a reason for it. I wish he would have remained Sergeant Montclair and alive instead of Ser Jax and dead”

Now, Drent understood what she meant. “You did what you could”, he said and she shook her head. “What I did was not good enough”, she replied calmly. “I shouldn't have walked into this trap. He shouldn't have felt forced to trade his life for mine in this position” Now, she heavily clenched her fists. “I don't think I can ever repay him”

“There are his sons”, Drent brought up and she nodded. “Camden and Calib Monctlair”, she replied. “I can offer them nothing that could replace the father they lost. I will try and they will have the best life I can provide them with, but that won't lessen my guilt”

“Your guilt?”, Drent asked. “Argella... my princess, Montclair's death has not been your fault” She looked up from the corpse of the man that had saved her life, though she remained silent, giving him an opportunity to continue. “You haven't dragged us onto this mission, you were sent. You haven't been the one to fool an entire kingdom”

Now, Argella sighed bitterly and there was something else on her face, something new, worse than the mere mourning of Montclair's passing. It was anger, but a helpless sort. “You mean Tariel”, she said and Drent gave her a nod. “The lady Tariel... she lied to your father. She lied to you. Without her, none of us would have left Storm's End”, he explained. “And we... the men and I, we can't help but wonder how you are going to deal with her”

Argella shook her head. “I won't deal with her at all”, she replied. “Lady Tariel's fate is not up for me to decide” As she spoke, she bit her lip. “Although I don't consider her guilty here” This revelation caused Drent to raise an eyebrow. “Is it because of that other woman? This Sherryl?”, he asked and she shook her head. “That harlot...”, she stated bluntly and with the hint of hatred in her voice. “No, that's not it”

Now, she looked up and deeply into his eyes. “Drent, what I'm going to tell you now mustn't leave this room, do you understand?”, she hissed and he quickly gave her a nod. She slowly moved closer and he gulped, as his heart started to beat faster. For a moment, he felt her breath on his neck, as she leaned in, closer to his ear, resting a hand on his shoulder in the process. “Lady Tariel has been a scapegoat. In more than one way”, she whispered, as if she expected someone to listen to their conversation. “I have thought about it ever since I learned of her betrayal. Nothing of it made sense”

“What do you mean?”, Drent said, staring past her. She was still speaking in a tone so low that he was barely able to hear her, even though her mouth was almost directly next to his ear. Perhaps it was the blood rushing through his body that made it harder to focus on her words. “It's my father”, she revealed. “There is no way he couldn't have known”

And just like that, the moment passed and Drent's excitement faded, as the revelation sunk in. “He was involved in this?”, he asked, glancing at Argella, who still stood very close to him. She gave him a sombre nod. “My father knew”, she stated. “There was no way he couldn't have. You might think of him as an arrogant fool, a warrior past his prime, but I know him better. He has one of the sharpest minds I have ever seen. How could he not see through Tariel?”

“Maybe she is a good liar”, Drent said. “You failed to see through her as well” She narrowed her eyes and shot him a glare. “Tariel is a good liar”, she agreed. “But she wouldn't have lied to my father. She wouldn't dare” With a sigh, she took a step back and Drent resisted the urge to step closer to her again.

“What are you going to do then?”, he asked and she bit down onto her lip, heavily. “I don't know”, she revealed. “I will talk to him. Hells, I can see why he did it” She looked up. “Think about it, Drent”, she said, still in a whisper. “He is a warrior king, the greatest we had in centuries. Yet what is his legacy? He wants to conquer. He wants to expand our kingdom, wants to restore it. If not through force, then through diplomacy. Tariel gave him this opportunity”

Drent noticed that he had started to shiver as he listened to her. “So, you're saying your father has ordered Lady Tariel to do this?”, he asked. “I don't know”, Argella answered at once. “If not outright ordered, then he at least accepted her lies. He knew it, or he had a suspicion at the very least” Now, the sharpness returned to her glare. “Tell me, how could I punish Lady Tariel for something if my own father was okay with it?”

Once again, she took a step towards him. Looking up at him, she nonetheless seemed the taller person, despite being a good head shorter. “Do you understand why this must never leave this room?”, she asked. Drent gave her a nod, though in his mind, thoughts were racing. The Storm King knew about this... it was a side of the man he had never thought to see. Here he stood, with the king's daughter, surrounded by the corpses of men that had died for nothing.

Argella's helplessly angry gaze faded and she cleared her throat. “I...”, she said, as she glanced down at his chest. “We better get ready. I lost twenty men on this mission. I won't lose my newest knight as well” The way she said this, the determination, it gave Drent an odd feeling. There was concern, as he remembered Emphryus' words. And something else...

The two stepped out of the door and past Torrence, who immediately saluted. “My sister should be ready by now”, he explained. “The men are gathered in front of the Great Hall” Argella gave him a nod. “At ease, soldier”, she commanded him. “This likely means that Mullendore and his have gathered inside” A wicked smile formed on her face. “He thinks he can take my knight. He thinks he can belittle me, humiliate my family. He thinks he can ruin Lucas' life even more than he already did”, she said. “This poor man doesn't know what's going to happen to him”

Torrence and Drent exchanged a glance and the other man shrugged, as they followed the princess through the hallway. “This way”, she said, as she led them up a set of stairs. “The balcony. I wish to get an impression of how many men he has with him” A reasonable request, as Drent thought, so he went along with it without complaint.

“My princess, what is if you underestimate him?”, he asked and for a moment, she got slower. “What?”, she barked. “Don't be ridiculous. I don't underestimate him. I know the kind of man he is. Lucas told me everything” She turned around to fully face him and there was sheer anger on her face. “He is less than a man”, she hissed and her voice grew spine-chillingly cold. “A false knight. Lord of Nothing”

She took a step towards Drent, who tensed up, not because of the pleasant warmth of her closeness, but because of the almost tangible anger she was oozing. “And nothing, that's exactly what he is. An old monster, a beast”, she growled. “My ancestors have been gods and men who braved them. His were less than swines. I know what kind of a man he is, but I don't fear him. He will free my knight, or I will crush him”

Still remembering Emphryus' words, Drent gave her a nod. “But promise me that you won't get yourself in danger”, he urged her and she raised an eyebrow. “Promise you?”, she said and her voice got slightly higher than usual as she spoke. “But... why should...” She sighed as she noticed the expression on his face. “I promise”, she said with the hint of a smile on her face, even if it failed to reach the storm in her eyes.

They continued their way up the stairs, when Drent saw a familiar figure he hadn't expected there. Up at the gallery that overlooked the Great Hall stood none other than Lady Tariel. Drent narrowed his eyes as he saw her and next to him, he saw how anger flared up on Torrence's face, though both men controlled their reactions.

“My Princess”, Tariel said in surprise and Argella approached her. “I... I was hoping I could witness the negotiations from up here” She noticed the glares Drent and Torrence sent at her and her expression visibly dropped. “I... can I talk to you? There is a lot I wish to expl...”

Before she was able to continue, Argella cut her off. “Later”, she said. “We will talk, but not now” As she spoke, she stepped onto the gallery. From below, the sound of dozens of men talking drowned out every noise they could have made from above.

Drent dared to take a look down into the Great Hall of Raylansfair. The term was mildly misleading, considering that the Great Hall of Storm's End could fit this entire castle into it, but it was indeed the largest room in this entire city. And it was crowded. Down there, Drent saw several dozen men, armed, ready for anything that might follow. The seat of the Lord of Raylansfair was empty and Drent saw no sign of the red-haired man he had seen from afar a few hours ago, this Mullendore.

Instead, he saw someone else. “Celtigar”, he mumbled, as he spotted the knight who had confronted him and Argella earlier, during the raid. He was looking fine, unharmed, and he was talking to two others. One of them was clearly Valyrian, like Gordar was. The other though... “Oh fuck me”, Argella gasped.

It was the first time Drent saw Orys Baratheon. He was tall, taller than Drent, broader. Though the bushy beard made it hard to see, he also seemed to be younger than expected. Dark hair and dark eyes, a well-structured face so completely unlike anything he had expected from a man that was half from the blood of Valyria. He and his men were wearing armour, the same they had fought in, though cleaned up again, with a fresh tabard, proudly displaying the three-headed dragon on their chest. Despite the surprise at seeing him here at all, Drent had to admit that there was something handsome about him.

“Oh... oh no, this is not good”, Argella said, as she slowly backed off. Her eyes were widened and every bit of her former determination was gone in favour of shocked surprise. She looked down at herself. “Gods, that dress...”, she gasped and her breaths fastened. “What was I thinking?”

Without waiting for anyone to answer, she started to rush down the stairs and Drent had to hurry to keep up with her. This was the closest thing he had seen of her in a state of panic. “Argella”, he said. “Argella!” Now, she glanced over her shoulder and she looked visibly afraid, as if she had seen a ghost. “What?”, she asked and he sighed, as he reached for her shoulder. “What are you doing?”, he asked in return.

Now, she glanced at herself again and took a deep breath, calming down in the process. “I have expected I'd merely meet Mullendore in there”, she explained. “But now? Baratheon, the bastard I spurned... My father killed a man over this!” She spread her arms. “And here I am, about to meet him and I look terrible!”

“You look...”, Drent started and paused as he searched for the right word. She sent him a glare, without allowing him to finish the sentence. “I look like a widow”, she replied, nestling at the high collar of her dress. Drent raised an eyebrow. “That doesn't mean you don't look beautiful...”, he started to say, but she sent him a glare, a refreshing one, as it meant that her confidence returned.

“If that is truly the extent of your ability to compliment a woman, my dear”, she hissed. “Then it is no wonder you're still on your own” She spun around again. “This is nothing to wear when meeting a spurned suitor”, she explained. “And my hair...” With annoyance, she nestled at the braided bun it was tied into, managing to loosen it somewhat. “This is unacceptable”

• Her gaze fell upon Tariel. “Get over here”, she barked and the other woman followed the order. “My hair. Untie it” As Tariel got to work on the braid, Drent raised an eyebrow. “Why do you care so much what this man thinks of your looks?”, he asked.

Argella clenchd her fists, struggling for words, so Tariel put on a sly grin. “Well, he is rather handsome”, she said. Now, Argella's eyes widened. “No!”, she growled. “I mean, yes, but that is not what this is about” Her glare fell onto Torrence. “Wipe that smirk off your face, Torrence!”

In response, Torrence actually started to chuckle. “I'm not smirking, my princess”, he said, still mildly giggling, while she rolled her eyes. “To answer your question, Drent”, she said. “This is one of the most embarrassing moments of my life. I never thought I actually had to... meet this man” She gasped, as Tariel freed her hair from the strict braid, allowing it to flow down to her shoulders. “Now that I have to, I must look my absolute best” With a frustrated sigh, she glanced down at her dress, as she moved a hand to the high collar. “Wish I would have worn something with a neckline”

This time, Torrence had to turn around to hide his wide grin, while Drent coughed uncomfortably. “Forgive, me but I still don't understand why this is necessary”, he said, while Tariel rearranged Argella's hair. The princess raised an eyebrow. “I guess you've never been in such a situation before”, she answered. “Granted, neither have I” She sighed and for a moment, the harsh nervousness that plagued her fell off. “I have no idea how to react to him”, she admitted. “So I... gods, I don't know”

She shook her hear and Tariel took a step back from it, having fully freed it from braid and bun. “You'll take his breath”, Tariel said and Argella sighed. “Good”, she answered. “Maybe then he won't try to speak to me” She straightened her back, as she turned down the hallway. “I suppose we shouldn't let Edonia waiting for much longer”

Nervously, she glanced at Drent, who gave her a reassuring look as they walked down the hallway, towards the smaller door that led to the courtyard. “And... if he does?”, she asked. “Talking to me, I mean. I can hardly forbid him, not here”

“In that case, you try to keep it simple”, Drent said. “Just be polite, don't make things uncomfortable for you and everything will be fine. You don't need to befriend this man, just focus on why you're truly here” As he spoke these words, her gaze hardened. “Got it”, she confirmed. “As if there wasn't enough to focus on...”

As the small group stepped outside, Drent saw Edonia, who had indeed gathered every Stormlander still able to fight in the courtyard. A nervous feeling grew inside him as he noticed how few they had become. Fifty had arrived in Raylansfair, but now only half of that number remained alive and in fighting shape. They had been intimidating as they entered the city. Now they looked pathetic in face of the new threat that had arisen.

Argella walked up to Edonia, with Drent to her right. She took a long look at her remaining men. “Keep your weapons ready”, she told them. “We will be listened to, one way or the other. If this man thinks he can humiliate our kingdom by taking one of us, he is sorely mistaken” With these words, she started to approach the Great Hall, while Edonia and Drent walked shortly behind her.

“She seems nervous”, Edonia whispered and Drent gave her a nod. “So am I”, he admitted. “But there's more... remember the Targaryen ambassador back in Storm's End?” A frown formed on Edonia's face. “Clearly”, she answered in a grim tone. “Why do you ask?” Drent looked straight ahead, at the doors to the Great Hall. “Because his cousin is in there, together with the bastard our princess spurned”

Edonia's eyes widened, but before she was able to say anything, Argella had reached the gates. Two knights, the wyvern of House Vyrwel on their tabards, stood in front of it, though they pushed it open as she came closer, revealing the crowded hall beyond.

Seeing the mass of men from the ground as opposed to up on the gallery made their situation even more intimidating. Drent assumed that there had to be at least fifty of Mullendore's guards, maybe even more. Nonetheless, Argella entered the hall without hesitating and Drent hurried to keep up with her.

“Torrence”, she hissed and the man spoke up. His voice wasn't as booming as Ser Emphryus', but it would suffice. He audibly cleared his throat. “Make way for the Princess Argella of House Durrandon!”, he shouted through the hall. “Heiress to the Dornish Marches, the Tomelands, Shipbreaker's Bay and Cape Wrath. Make way for Argella daughter of Argilac, Storm King!”

His announcement caused the appropriate reaction. The men inside the hall were silent at once, over fifty heads turned towards them, as they made enough of a gap to allow them to pass. A satisfied smile flashed over Argella's face, while Torrence grinned proudly. They started to march.

Among the first men they passed were the Targaryen knights. Gordar Celtigar was the first to notice them, as he sent a glare into their direction. He gave the dark-haired man a pat onto the shoulder and he turned towards them. Whereas Gordar showed anger and the silver-haired man to his left showed indifference, Orys Baratheon was different. There was bewildered surprise as he saw them entering the room and his dark eyes slightly widened as he spotted the Storm Princess. Yet at the same time, there was no contempt.

The gap through which the Stormlanders passed the crowd led right past the knights and Orys raised a thick eyebrow. His hand, clenched to a fist, moved to his heart, as he bowed slightly for a greeting. “Princess Argella”, he said, his voice slow and careful, but warm.

In a way, Argella reacted exactly as Drent had expected from her, though he was still surprised at her reaction. For all her previous nervousness over such an encounter, she was remarkably distant. In fact, she ignored him completely, as she walked past him without even looking into his direction, as if he didn't even exist for her.

As confusion grew on Orys' face, Edonia and Drent exchanged a look. The red-haired woman raised an eyebrow, to which Drent only shrugged, as they and the rest of the Stormlanders continued their march through the Great Hall. “Where is he?”, the princess hissed, glancing at the empty chair. In her fury, she turned to the nearest guard, an unfortunate man, who instinctively took a step back. “Where is Maron Mullendore?”, she barked and the man gulped. “He... he left for his room. I don't know when...”

“Where?”, she growled again, cutting him off and this time the man's face grew almost pale, as he turned around, pointing at a door to the right of the hall, leading deeper into the castle. Rolling her eyes in frustration, the princess almost pushed him aside, as she continued her way.

As Argella started to approach the door, she gained an almost palpable aura of anger, enough to make even Drent shiver. That was it, he realized, the moment in which someone had made the mistake of truly provoking her. The first set of guards she faced came to the same conclusion and they didn't even make the mistake of stopping her. Rushing aside, they allowed her to pass, which was enough for the Stormlanders to follow.

The next guard wasn't as cooperative. Drent had to gulp, as he saw the largest man he ever laid eyes upon, effectively blocking the way deeper into the castle. He held his breath, observing the unnatural height, the mass of muscle, the ghastly pale skin and the hair, like snow. Shining red eyes glared down at the Storm Princess, from beyond a white mask with suspicious dark red spots on it. Argella paused only for a second. Slamming her finger against the giant's belly, she reciprocated his glare. “I'm only going to say this a single time, so listen closely, you ugly creature”, she hissed. “Let. Me. Through

“The Moggy will not follow your order”, a new voice sounded, dark and smooth. “He is too loyal” Through the crowd, a man approached them. He wore dark clothing and a hood, his face hidden underneath a mask not unlike the one of the giant, though with golden lines on it. Curious eyes, green and nearly cat-like stared at them. Softly, he took a bow. “You may call me the Tom, Princess Argella. It is an...”

“No”, Argella cut him off, her voice cold and threatening. “You will not speak to me, lackey. Two sentences and your voice already gets on my nerves” She turned towards him and the man slowly narrowed the eyes beneath the mask. “So hold it. Just listen”, she warned him. “You will fetch me your master and then you will leave my presence, for I can't bear your stench” Momentarily, she glanced at the huge man. “Be a good kitty and take that thing with you”, she spat, as she slammed the back of her hand into the giant' belly.

A growl, deeper than anything a man should be able to produce, came from beneath the blood-stained mask, as his massive arms tensed up. “Moggy!”, the Tom warned him sharply and the giant looked at him. “Pretty girl talks too much”, he snarled, sounding more like an animal than a human being.

“She does”, the Tom stated, as he approached her. Instantly, Drent put a hand onto his sword. Next to him, Edonia did the same and there was no doubt that those behind them followed their example. The collective display of force was enough to make the masked man stop. Argella smirked triumphantly. “I gave you an order, lackey”, she said sweetly. “Bring me someone with a face. Your master for example”

“That won't be necessary”, another voice sounded from behind the Moggy. It was a hoarsy one, weaker than Drent had expected. The Tom gave his giant a nod and the Moggy moved aside, revealing the man Drent had seen a few hours ago when he and his allies had entered the courtyard. Maron Mullendore wasn't looking well. He had the look of a man that had lost a lot of weight recently, his skin was pale and sweaty, one eye hidden beneath a fresh bandage and he had to use a cane to walk.

“Mylady Argella”, he greeted her, as he limped closer. Every step caused him visible discomfort. “It's a pleasure to meet you in person. Stories of your beauty have reached my ears, though let it be clear that they are nothing compared to the truth, Storm Princess” In his mannerisms, there was a kind of politeness that caught Drent off guard, though Argella reacted with a cold smile.

“Whereas I have never heard of you before”, she replied and raised an eyebrow. “Oh, wait... there was one story, of particular cruelty as I must add... Butterfly” For a second, she had caught him off guard, as the jovial smile on his face faded and it was this moment that was enough for Drent to see that this was not a man he should trust.

“You see, I am not here to exchange pleasantries. If I wanted compliments, I'd speak to those imbeciles that work for you”, she continued, her calm voice only barely hiding the anger that was about to erupt. “You and me have something to discuss”

Mullendore hesitated for a second, before he gave her a nod. “This way then, mylady”, he replied, as he started to limp to his chair. Argella followed, her men always behind her. She herself stopped a good four feet in front of the chair, two guards between her and Mullendore, while Drent and Edonia were slightly behind her. The rest of the men stood in a long, thin line, reaching through half of the hall in pairs of two.

With a heavy groan, Mullendore lifted himself into the chair, sighing with relief as he reached it and putting a hand onto the obviously wounded leg. “A wound I got in battle”, he said. “A small price to pay for the safety of this city and its people”

Argella smirked coldly. “For a man that has been wounded just a few hours ago, you are in remarkable shape”, she said and now, it was up to him to smirk. “I thought we weren't exchanging pleasantries”, he replied. Instantly, her smirk faded. “But I wasn't doing that”, she corrected him. “I merely pointed out a flaw in your lie. It's disappointing, really, considering how much I heard of your lies in Oldtown. You can fool a whole city, but not me?”

The look in Mullendore's remaining eye was one of carefully concealed hatred. In this, he was better than Argella, who had dropped most subtlety when it came to her opinion on this man. “I suppose you have made your mind up then?”, he asked. “Painted me as the bad guy without thinking once about how much this murderer in my cells might have lied to you?”

“You have a murderer in your cells?”, Argella asked. “Well, don't let him near my knight then. Better yet, free my knight, for I want him back” Mullendore grinned at her. “You want him?”, he asked. “Mylady, you are not the only one. In fact, he is a wanted man in this entire kingdom, sought for crimes of murder, rape and torture” His hand moved into the inner pocket of the white coat he was wearing. “I have a document here, signed by Lord Hightower of Oldtown, in which he is declared an outlaw”, he revealed. “So tell me, why should I even discuss this with you?”

“Because he is not yours to judge”, she replied and her voice had gotten more angry by now. “He is a Knight of the Storm, my knight and my father's and in this world, only the Storm King has a right to declare him anything. Not Lord Hightower and certainly not you!”

She took a step towards the chair and Drent took a deep breath as she passed Mullendore's guards. The knight looked up at her. “You are young”, he said. “So I forgive you your ignorance, but this man you're trying to protect... do you know what he did to a certain woman who was just in your age? Her name was Lunett and if you hear what this so-called knight did to her, I doubt you'd still defend him.”

Argella paused and as she continued to speak, her voice was barely a whisper. “That's what you blame him for?”, she gasped. “You have the nerve to blame him for her death? Of all you did, that is what chose?” These last words where spoken with a voice that shivered with anger and her fists were clenched. “How dare you?”

With an aching expression, Mullendore grabbed his cane, pushing himself up, so that he would tower over her once again. “Mind your manners, girl”, he growled. “Take a look around you. This is not your father's court anymore. You're in my castle, as my guest and so far, you've been lacking the politeness I expect from you”

“I don't care what you expect from me”, Argella said. “One of my men is in your dungeons and this is unacceptable. You bring shame upon my house. And he... he deserves better” She sighed bitterly. “Free him. He is no danger to you anymore, not after all you took from him. Now, he belongs to me, he wears the colours of my house and this means that my house will decide on how to deal with him”

Mullendore shook his head. “I don't think so”, he snarled. “Because he is my prisoner, this is my castle and the men around me outnumber you two to one” The smile on his face was vicious and triumphant. “I will never let him go. You however... be lucky that I let you leave at all”

Argella held her breath for a second. “Are you threatening me?”, she asked and he gave her an audacious nod. “Ser Butterfly, I don't think you are aware what happens to people who threaten me. Haven't you heard the stories? My father's fury...”

“Your father, who sits hundreds of miles away and who won't lift a damn finger for a single knight”, Mullendore replied sternly. “And even if, there's a kingdom between him and me” Smugly, he raised an eyebrow. “Face it, little girl. You lost. There is nothing you can threaten me with and if this is how you want to talk, then so be it” He approached her until they were standing directly in front of each other. “I suggest you turn around now, take your men and leave my castle. Run home to your daddy. If you want to, you can tell him how mean I was to his spoiled little bitch”

There was a moment of silence between the two, as the Stormlanders collectively held their breath. Drent knew, the man had just crossed a line. Sure enough, Argella gave him a heavy slap just then. This alone was not surprising, but what neither he nor Mullendore had expected was that she hit him at the bandaged part of his face, right where his eye should be.

The groan that came out of his throat was almost a scream of pain, as Mullendore lost his balance. Putting too much weight onto his damaged leg, he staggered backwards and only narrowly managed to crash down on his chair instead of outright collapsing on the ground. One of his hands clutched around the cane, the other moved to the bandages and Drent saw blood running from beneath them.

“You...”, he gasped. “You...” As Argella clenched her fists, readying herself to approach him again, Drent noticed, with discomfort, that they were now surrounded by fifty men who had put their hands onto the hilts of their weapons, ready to draw them on their master's sign.

“Watch your tongue, dog”, Argella spat. “My knight, free him now and we will move on. You will never hear from me or my house again. Refuse and you will have an enemy much more terrifying than anything you can imagine” Mullendore's one eye was widely opened, sweat was running down his forehead and blood down his bandaged cheek, almost resembling tears.

“Anything to say?”, the princess asked in a haughty tone, as Mullendore pushed himself up with a groan. His eye was still widened in disbelief. “That... fucking hurt...”, he gasped and as Drent realized that he was unable to hold back his anger anymore, it was already too late. With a speed that was almost shocking for a man his size, age and condition, he slammed the hilt of his cane into Argella's face, heavy enough to make her drop to the ground.

“Argella!”, Drent called, as he heard the sound of steel being drawn around him. Edonia was the first with a sword in her hand and the rest of the Stormlanders followed at once. Just a moment later, Mullendore's men did the same and the sound of steel being drawn filled the Great Hall, as the Stormlanders glared at their opponents.

The princess meanwhile was kneeling on all fours, a hand on her aching cheek and as she pulled her fingers back to inspect them, Drent spotted blood. Mullendore was now towering above her, still shivering in pain, the look on his face was more befitting of an animal than a human being, as he was barely able to control himself, or to resist the obvious urge of hitting her again.

“You bitch...”, he snarled in a threatening voice. “Give me one reason why I shouldn't do it! Wipe your precious men out to the last and send your head back to Storm's End! Come on, where's your clever little tongue now?”

Throughout this, Drent was the only one Stormlander who hadn't drawn his weapon yet. Perhaps it was shock at seeing how quickly things escalated, or perhaps he was just too worried to give in to his instant urge. Glancing around, he saw about seventy men glaring at each other, twenty on his and fifty on their side. He instantly understood the severity of the situation, yet had to fight against his own anger to keep calm. Perhaps he could negotiate, could defuse the situation a bit, if possible. At the same time, he nervously glanced at his sword. If a fight would break out, he wanted to make sure that he was ready for it.

[Draw your sword] [Try to defuse the situation]

• [Draw your sword] This is really bad. REALLY bad. Not for Argella or the stormlanders, but for Lucas. Defusing the situation means it's retreating from saving Lucas, Argella would be pissed and Mullendore wins. While I don't think clashing our forces would be much better, it would at least hurt Butterfly a little bit until another party gets involved.

Sorry Drent, looks like the ship between Orys and Argella is on its course to sail.

Her gaze fell upon Tariel. “Get over here”, she barked and the other woman followed the order. “My hair. Untie it” As Tariel got to work on

• I actually really liked Argella in this part, she really intrigued me (which I didn't expect). The only thing she did wrong was slap Mullendore, but I like how she handled the Tom and Moggy.

[Try to defuse the situation] 50 vs 20, I don't think so. Defusing the situation is a better idea and I think Drent can actually pull it of correctly.

Her gaze fell upon Tariel. “Get over here”, she barked and the other woman followed the order. “My hair. Untie it” As Tariel got to work on

• edited March 2017

[Try to defuse the situation] It's obviously the right choice,we had to stop now any possible fight and gain time to make any possible third party save the situation and have a real chance to save Lucas (while only draw the sworld I really doubt that will make any differences)

I want to add that this is the choice that will finally give Drent a spotlight in his next part making him have an interesting chat against Mullendore (and not look anymore as Random Stormlander Soldier #167)

• [Draw your sword]

We know Argella won't be in serious danger because of canon. So we have to take every chance we have to weaken Butterfly.

• [Try to defuse the situation] Sure, we know Argella won't really be in danger, but still I can't say I see anything good coming from this erupting into a fight, not even for Lucas. Mullendore is being really arrogant here, but at the same time he is right, he has the numbers and Argella doesn't really have anything to threaten him with. Besides, this option could give Drent another chance to prove he is more than just another soldier.

Anyway, this was such a great part, two strong characters clashing is always a treat :)

• [Draw your sword]

• [Draw your sword]

Sign in to comment in this discussion.