How to get SMI thru EMI (& GF) to work in Windows

It bothers me that a number of people don't know how to get older Monkey Island games (and Grim Fandango in a few cases) to work in newer OS's, such as Windows 7.

Anyways, I just wanted to post/repost this to let everyone know how to do it, in case you still can't figure it out. These instructions are for Windows.

[EDIT:]

UPDATE!

Because of the poor quality of MI2SE's classic mode, I am updating this to show how to extract the original VGA version of MI1 and MI2 from their respective SE versions, so that you can play the classic mode properly in the manner it was originally conceived.
Chyron8472 wrote: »
It's REALLY easy to extract the original VGA version of LCR from the MI2SE .pak file. Everyone who only has MI2SE (on PC) needs to do this so we can all use the original version for the Great Monkey Island Race. It will make things far less complicated.

1) First, download the Monkey Island Explorer.

2) After downloading and running the program, click "Open", then click "Monkey Island 1: Special Edition" or "Monkey Island 2: Special Edition." It should automatically browse to your SMISE or MI2SE game folder. If it does not, browse to it manually. Click "Monkey1.pak" or "Monkey2.pak" and click OK.

3) Click "View" then click ".000", highlight "classic/en/Monkey1.000" or "classic/en/Monkey2.000" and click "Save File" -> "As is (raw)". Save the file to wherever you want to store the original MI2 game files.

4) Click "View" then click ".001", highlight "classic/en/Monkey1.000" or "classic/en/Monkey2.001" and click "Save File" -> "As is (raw)". Save the file to wherever you want to store the original MI2 game files.

5) Download and install ScummVM.
Open ScummVM, click "Add Game," then navigate to the folder where you stored the monkey2.000 and monkey2.001 files. Click "Choose."

There you go!

If you want to, you can also create a Windows Shortcut to MI2 by creating a shortcut that points to the scummvm.exe file and after it also put the game's ID (usually "monkey2" for MI2)
eg. Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\ScummVM\scummvm.exe" monkey2

[/EDIT]

First, for SMI, MI2:LR and CMI, you need to install ScummVM (some people prefer DOSBox, but I use ScummVM and it works great, the only difference is the save/load menu.)

For Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, I wrote a lengthy reply to someone's question about ScummVM previously, regarding getting the Monkey Island Madness MI games installed (which has been quoted below). You should be able to glean what you need to be able to install other versions of MI1 and MI2 from it. The links to the ScummVM wiki will indicate which files to copy.

For Curse of Monkey Island, you have two options.
Either you can copy the files listed on the ScummVM wiki: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles#Curse_of_Monkey_Island.2C_The [which says you need the "RESOURCE" folder (combined from [U]both discs[/U]), "COMI.LA0", "COMI.LA1", and "COMI.LA2"] and further follow the directions from my quote to get it running in ScummVM...

Or you can use a new installer built for newer OS's (similar to that for EMI or GF.)
http://quick.mixnmojo.com/cmi-setup OR http://code.google.com/p/curseofmonkeyislandsetupandlauncher/

For Escape from Monkey Island and Grim Fandango, you need new game installers. The launcher that comes with each installer is unnecessary.

EMI Setup: http://quick.mixnmojo.com/escape-from-monkey-island-setup
Grim Setup: http://quick.mixnmojo.com/grim-fandango-setup

Note: The following was written with the Monkey Island Madness CD in mind. However, it does have useful information in it for other uses, such as creating ScummVM shortcuts.
You do NOT need the CD inserted EVER after setting up the games on ScummVM properly.

----
List of needed files from the CD, According to ScummVM wiki:

MI1: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles#Secret_of_Monkey_Island.2C_The
MI2: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles#Secret_of_Monkey_Island.2C_The

Okay, the ScummVM wiki says:
a) You need "MONKEY.000" and "MONKEY.001" from the SoMI folder on the disc.
b) You need "MONKEY2.000" and "MONKEY2.001" from the MI2:LR folder on the disc.

c) You ought to copy said files to (a) location(s) on the hard drive and then point ScummVM to them.

Here are Detailed instructions if you don't know how to do all that.

PART 1: CREATING FOLDERS

1) Using Windows Explorer, browse to your Program Files folder or your Games folder, or wherever you usually install games to.

2) Create 2 new folders (you can just make one, but I make 2 of them.)

3) You can name either folder whatever you want, but for the sake of simplicity, I can instruct you what to name them.
3a) Name one folder "Monkey Island 1".
3b) Name the other folder "Monkey Island 2".

PART 2: COPYING DATA FILES

4) Insert your Monkey Island Madness CD. If the autorun box pops up, close it.

5) Using Windows Explorer, browse to the CD (Open My Computer, right click on the CD and click "Open")

6) From the "MONKEY1" folder on the CD:
copy files "MONKEY.000" and "MONKEY.001" to the "Monkey Island 1" folder that you created earlier.

mi1files.png

7) From the "MONKEY2" folder on the CD:
copy files "MONKEY2.000" and "MONKEY2.001" to the "Monkey Island 2" folder that you created earlier.

mi2files.png

PART 3: RIPPING MUSIC FOR MONKEY ISLAND 1 TO USE

Note: I can not give detailed instructions on this part as you may use different software than I do (I use WinAmp).

8) Using the software of your choice that you use for playing CDs and ripping them to MP3, rip the CD audio tracks from the disc to MP3 or OGG format (this music is the background music for Monkey Island 1).
Note: the first track is where the game data is stored, you don't need to rip it.

9) Browse to the folder where these MP3's are, and rename each MP3 filename per the following image (THIS IS IMPORTANT):

Note: the metadata like the Title and Artist and such doesn't matter, only the filename. Be aware that tracks 2 thru 25 should be called "track01.mp3" thru "track24.mp3", consecutively.

mi1music.png

PART 4: SET UP GAMES ON SCUMMVM

10) Install ScummVM

11) Run ScummVM

Adding Monkey Island 1 to ScummVM:
12a) Click "Add Game"
12b) Browse in the window to the location where your created "Monkey Island 1" and "Monkey Island 2" folders are .
12c) Highlight (single click) or Browse to (double click) your "Monkey Island 1" folder.
12d) Click "Choose".

Adding Monkey Island 2 to ScummVM:
12a) Click "Add Game"
12b) Browse in the window to the location where your created "Monkey Island 1" and "Monkey Island 2" folders are.
12c) Highlight (single click) or Browse to (double click) your "Monkey Island 2" folder.
12d) Click "Choose".

mi1scummvm.png

Yay! You're done!... or not.

----

NOTE: The next steps are optional.
PART 5: CREATING WINDOWS SHORTCUTS

mishortcuts.png

13) Browse to and create 2 new Shortcuts wherever you want to launch your games from. Change the target location to the ScummVM.exe file in the folder where you installed ScummVM to, and after it put the ScummVM ID of the game.
(ie. my ScummVM is at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\ScummVM\scummvm.exe")

mi1scummvmid.png
mi1shortcut.png

13a) For The Secret of Monkey Island, change the target of one shortcut to your scummvm.exe with the ScummVM ID for the Monkey Island 1 game (usually "monkey")
example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\ScummVM\scummvm.exe" monkey

13b) For Monkey Island 2: Lechuck's Revenge, change the target of the other shortcut to your scummvm.exe with the ScummVM ID for the Monkey Island 2 game (usually "monkey2")
example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\ScummVM\scummvm.exe" monkey2

PART 6: FULL SCREEN AND 4:3 ASPECT RATIO

14) Open ScummVM, highlight either game, and click "Edit Game"

15) Click "Graphics" at the top of the window.

16) Click the checkboxes (place a check mark) next to:
- "Override Global Graphics Settings"
- "Aspect Ratio Correction"
- "Fullscreen Mode"

17) Click OK.

Yay! NOW you're Done

Comments

• edited March 2010
    I've always felt Dosbox is the better option for the dos games.
    As the games play and look exactly like they did when played in regular dos.
    ScummVM doesn't get the game working 100% like they did back in the day. Voices and music starting and stopping at not exactly the right places, and other pretty small, but noticeable to me glitches.
  • edited March 2010
    hmph.

okay, well if you WANT to install SMI and/or MI2 in DOSBox...

--Installing the Data

1) Install DOSBox

2) Copy all the files (not just the ones ScummVM wants) from the location on your media (cd/floppies) where the game is located to a new folder on your HDD (as exemplified above.)

--Creating a Disc Image so Monkey Island 1 on CD can play the ingame music (only for SMI CD version)

3) Create a CUE image of the disc (that is, a disc image with BIN and CUE files) using the software of your choice. I use the free edition of Alcohol 52%.

Note: You cannot use an ISO image,
    because ISO images only contain data and the MI Madness CD has redbook audio which won't copy to an ISO

--Configuring DOSBox for the Game

4) Create a new file in your game's folder on your HDD, and call it "dosbox.conf"

5) Edit the file in Notepad, and insert the following data:
    [sdl]
    output= overlay
    fullresolution=0x0
    windowresolution= 960x720
    fullscreen= true
    autolock= false

[dosbox]
    machine= svga_s3

[render]
    aspect=true

[cpu]
    core= auto
    cycles= auto

[autoexec]
    cls
    @ECHO OFF
    mount c "INSERT THE GAME FOLDER'S PATH HERE (eg. c:\games\monkey\ )"
    imgmount d "INSERT THE CUE FILE'S FOLDER PATH AND FILENAME HERE (eg. c:\monkey1.cue)" -t iso (only include the IMGMOUNT D line for the CD version of SMI)
    c:
    cd\
    monkey.exe (for SMI OR put monkey2.exefor MI2)
    exit

Note:
    On the lines above where MOUNT C and IMGMOUNT D are listed, you MUST include the quotes " " around the path and filename if it contains any spaces or includes any folder with a name longer than 8 characters. If you don't know what I mean, add quotes just in case. You can also change the resolution settings if you want, but those are what I used. Leave "fullresolution" at 0x0.

47802015.png

4) Save the file.

--CREATING WINDOWS SHORTCUTS

5) Browse to and create new Shortcut(s) wherever you want to launch your games from.

5a) Change the target location to the DOSBox.exe file in the folder where you installed DOSBox to...

5b) and after it put: -conf "INSERT THE GAME FOLDER'S PATH HERE\dosbox.conf" -noconsole
    Note:
    Include the quotes on that last line.
    eg. Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox\dosbox.exe" -conf "C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\Monkey Island 1\dosbox.conf" -noconsole
  • edited March 2010
    or you could just get SOMI:SE
  • edited March 2010
    You could, but the artwork for classic mode in SMI:SE isn't quite the same.

Now granted the bottom screenie is a Youtube video, but still, you can see the difference in the color palette, among other things. The BRIGHT colors of the trees especially are annoying to look at. I would give a better example of the old version, but I don't have any savegames on it to load from.

91971627.png
    41388877.png
  • edited March 2010
    The bottom screen looks like it's being run through a filter, something you do with emulators (including ScummVM) if you wish. Are you sure you chose the right example?

EDIT: just tried the original in ScummVM, and it looks indeed like your example is using a filter. 2XHQ maybe.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, that's definitely a filter. The original game was never capable of smoothing out the trees like that.
  • edited March 2010
    Okay, okay... I went back through the game and got to that same screen on the VGA version on CD, and it looks exactly the same on that screen as the classic mode of SMI:SE. So, I was wrong about that particular example, then. Still...
  • edited March 2010
    "Still..."

Still what? I don't understand your point. SoMI:SE was built directly on top of the existing version of SoMI as it was released with the enhanced interface on CD in 1992. This version was not modified in any way. So I don't really know what complaint anyone would have with the SE classic mode unless they wanted the pre-CD version of SoMI. Personally I grew up with the CD version so that's the one I expect to see anyway. :p

Props on the tutorial for those who are not technologically inclined, I'm sure it will help somebody. I myself of course already had it set up (though I honestly don't have issues running these games through Windows XP anyway).
  • edited March 2010
    Santar wrote: »
    ScummVM doesn't get the game working 100% like they did back in the day. Voices and music starting and stopping at not exactly the right places, and other pretty small, but noticeable to me glitches.

I can't think of a single problem I've had with ScummVM versus the originals, with about 10 different games and on a couple of different platforms.

And as an added bonus, ScummVM works efficiently for me...whereas DOSbox tends to chew up my CPU something awful (even turning CPU cycles way down), which is a pain when on the laptop. And has crashed on me more than once.
  • edited March 2010
    Would it be illegal to explain how to play the first two Monkey Island games on a DS? You need a backup card or 'flashcart' for that, and I don't really know how legal they are.
    I already know how, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that want to know, since the only thing better than being able to play Monkey Island is being able to play them everywhere you go :)
  • edited March 2010

I've never run into this problem. Ever. Scumm emulation has always been identical to the DOS equivalents for me.
  • edited March 2010
    Before someone points out, yes, the Save/Load Menus are different.

Don't care, :D.

BTW, if anyone curious about some replacement/new icons used for the classic games:

http://www.iconarchive.com/show/mega-games-pack-28-icons-by-3xhumed/Monkey-Island-1-icon.html
    http://www.iconarchive.com/show/mega-games-pack-28-icons-by-3xhumed/Monkey-Island-2-icon.html
    http://thanius.com/pixmaps/scummvm/
  • edited March 2010
    And yet in some games (MM, Zak, CMI) you can view the classic save/load menus with CTRL+F5 or something.
  • edited March 2010
    And yet in some games (MM, Zak, CMI) you can view the classic save/load menus with CTRL+F5 or something.

Yip yip.
  • edited March 2010
    Question:
    I used the EMI installer to install EMI on my Win7 x64 system, and there's an error:
    Guybrush keeps walking forward, and in the menu the cursor keeps going up.
    In short: the up (and also the right) key are stuck and always pressed.
    Anyone have an idea what could cause this?
  • edited March 2010
    Guinea wrote: »
    Question:
    I used the EMI installer to install EMI on my Win7 x64 system, and there's an error:
    Guybrush keeps walking forward, and in the menu the cursor keeps going up.
    In short: the up (and also the right) key are stuck and always pressed.
    Anyone have an idea what could cause this?
    If it happened only once, it could be a stuck key as the result from alt-tabbing out of the game.
    If it happened every time, it may be a joystick or gamepad messing with the game.
  • edited March 2010
    Didero wrote: »
    If it happened only once, it could be a stuck key as the result from alt-tabbing out of the game.
    If it happened every time, it may be a joystick or gamepad messing with the game.

I don't have a gamepad plugged in, and I deactivated gamepads in the options. :(

Edit: never mind!
    Apparently the gamepad only gets deactivated on next startup.
  • edited March 2010
    Sticky this thread!
  • edited March 2010
    Guinea wrote: »
    I don't have a gamepad plugged in, and I deactivated gamepads in the options. :(

Edit: never mind!
    Apparently the gamepad only gets deactivated on next startup.

I was going to say that your controls were probably not calibrated properly when you started the game. That is, even if you didn't have a gamepad plugged in, perhaps you accidentally had keys pressed when you started the game up, so the controls were calibrated incorrectly when you let go.
  • edited March 2010
    Banang!
  • edited March 2010
    *dances*
  • edited May 2010
    Okay, okay... I went back through the game and got to that same screen on the VGA version on CD, and it looks exactly the same on that screen as the classic mode of SMI:SE. So, I was wrong about that particular example, then. Still...
    "Still..."

Still what? I don't understand your point. SoMI:SE was built directly on top of the existing version of SoMI as it was released with the enhanced interface on CD in 1992. This version was not modified in any way. So I don't really know what complaint anyone would have with the SE classic mode unless they wanted the pre-CD version of SoMI. Personally I grew up with the CD version so that's the one I expect to see anyway. :p

Props on the tutorial for those who are not technologically inclined, I'm sure it will help somebody. I myself of course already had it set up (though I honestly don't have issues running these games through Windows XP anyway).

Still... you don't get the same opening credit sequence or title music as the older versions. I like the title music from the older versions.
  • edited May 2010
    I dont know if this is just me but after following the monkey 1 ripping instructions, if I go back up to the look out after the opening of the game, i get weird popping sounds which arnt in the SE version, is that ment to be the fire crackling?

Edit: Just noticed the popping sounds still happen even if i dont have the mp3's in the monkey folder
  • edited May 2010
    I imagine so. I hear the same thing, and I believe it's deliberate since it's only on that screen.

edit: I just checked, and not only is there a popping sound, but also another sound effect that's sort of a whirring or whatever. It seems like they gave a sound effect to the fire in the CD version that wasn't included in classic mode of SE. How odd.
  • edited May 2010
    Yea i thought thats what it was meant to be, thanks for the reply :)
  • edited May 2010
    Still... you don't get the same opening credit sequence or title music as the older versions. I like the title music from the older versions.

I like the music from the older versions better too.
  • edited June 2010
    banang.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited June 2010
    It sounds like you probably haven't played the games using ScummVM in a while. Up until recently, ScummVM was in a beta state (unfinished software), so bugs were common. Now, it's at a stable state, and there are little or no bugs for the games they officially support.

In fact, they even remove some of the bugs in games that were there in the original LucasArts version, so ScummVM is better than DosBox for the LucasArts SCUMM games, since all DosBox does is play the original game, bugs and all. :)
  • edited July 2010
    conroy BUMPus.

I updated the original post in this thread to instruct how to extract the original VGA versions of MI1 and MI2 from their respective SE versions, seeing how MI2SE's classic mode is quite lacking in comparative quality to the original.
  • edited July 2010
    I can't turn on 3D graphics for my Grim Fandango, whenever I activate them it quits and a message saying "there was an error and it will be closed" pops up. Escape works fine. Is there a way to fix this? It doesn't happen with my sister's Intel Graphics Media notebook!
  • edited July 2010
    Which Device(s) and Mode(s) have you tried in "3D Hardware Setup..."?

Try each Device and Mode available, and see what happens when you turn on 3D Hardware Acceleration with those different settings.

96880620.png

As one of the modes for my "Primary Display Driver" device lists Direct3D (which is part of DirectX,) I would also recommend maybe updating your version of DirectX, or updating your video card driver.
  • edited July 2010
    With a modern computer you don't really need to use 3D acceleration. Your CPU is more than adequate to run everything.
  • edited July 2010
    How well does EMI run on modern PC's using the installer?
  • edited July 2010
    I tried the Direct 3D thing, I'm using 64bit Windows 7, and Nvidia 9600 graphics card. I tried downloading directx and the drivers but it still doesn't work. Whenever I turn on the hardware 3D acceleration it crashes!

I can play with it turned off, though. But Manny's face is all weird, and the sound keep on failing I have to quit the game and start it again in order to hear anything. Aw! How I wish I had kept my old PC
    Friar wrote: »
    How well does EMI run on modern PC's using the installer?

Perfectly fine!
  • edited July 2010
    The textures (like Manny's face) problem is what I get whenever I turn acceleration on... I've never heard of that happening with it off.
  • edited July 2010
    ... or for a lark, do what real people did for Monkey 1 2 back then ... we bought them on floppy-occasionally HD installed them on AMIGAs. PCs were useless overpriced boring DOS word-crunchers ...

Cloanto Amiga can be bought cheaply (£9-£27) now/runs on all of my Windows 7 64bit-32 bit-Vista-XP- 98-95 PCs ... for great Amiga progs/games.

Monkey 3 and 4 I agree are a bit of a burger for modern PCs-OS, but with mod'ed installers will run (often - Monkey 3 - with 'funny' colours )...

IMO XP 32bit (often with VDMS) the best most compatible Windows PC OS for running ALL games.

I for one would pay to buy (without 4 month wait) DVD set with all 5 Monkeys upon, which would play on modern e.g. 64 bit Windows 7 fast system with good GFX ...
  • edited January 2012
    Is there anyway of installing Grim Fandango without a CD drive? My laptop doesn't have one. I tried copying all the files from the 2 discs using another computer and a hard drive - but I can't get the installer to even run as it cannot detect a CD drive. Thanks any help appreciated
  • edited January 2012
    shovell wrote: »
    Is there anyway of installing Grim Fandango without a CD drive? My laptop doesn't have one. I tried copying all the files from the 2 discs using another computer and a hard drive - but I can't get the installer to even run as it cannot detect a CD drive. Thanks any help appreciated

Have you tried making a disc image of your game CD, and then mounting the image to a virtual drive?

I recommend Alcohol 52% Free Edition.
  • edited January 2012
    Have you tried making a disc image of your game CD, and then mounting the image to a virtual drive?

I recommend Alcohol 52% Free Edition.

Thanks, got it working this way. Great recommendation, muchly appreciated :)
  • edited January 2012
    shovell wrote: »

Grim Fandango can actually run pretty well now using Residual, a sub-project of ScummVM. If you can copy the data files off the CD then you can run it. There's still a few issues, but it's completable, and in my opinion easier to set up than custom installers.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.