Should I get MGSV or Witcher 3?

I'm thinking about picking up one of two games, which are Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain and The Witcher 3. I'll buy the other one later.

I'd like to know which one is worth getting first.

Tagged:

Comments

• if you like rpg where your choice matter, buy witcher 3, i did buy it in steam and cog versión, i recommend the cog versión better, buy the Goty edition since it have all dlcs ...etc

• edited May 2017

Well, I like both RPG and the tactical stealth espionage genre, that is why I'm asking in the first place.

djisma posted: »

if you like rpg where your choice matter, buy witcher 3, i did buy it in steam and cog versión, i recommend the cog versión better, buy the Goty edition since it have all dlcs ...etc

• I own both games so I know what to expect from both of them.

I definitely suggest you buy The Witcher 3. While both games are open-world, Witcher 3 has a more fulfilling world filled with lots of quests and actually intriguing character. Even simple minor characters are interesting or at least have a fun story that goes with engaging side quests. Also the gameplay is really fun and engaging.

Not to be too harsh on MSGV, but after playing the initial 40 hours and the first art, I quickly realized how repetitive the missions were. I only completed the first art because when we reached Art 2, the game is making me replay all the mission I have already completed in order to progress the story. Also the story isn't a very strong focus. I personally didn't find it engaging and sometimes I was confused. That isn't to say it is a bad game. The gameplay are excellent and amazing. The stealth gameplay is cool and your number pis gadgets and weapons are useful depending on what play style you want. But I feel it didn't needed to be open-world. And I feel the open-world is a negative on the gameplay. It makes you travel long distance simply to get to your misson-area.

That's just my opinion.

• edited May 2017

Thanks man, I'll try out Witcher 3.

Edit: You guys can still suggest the other game if you want to, I might change my mind.

I own both games so I know what to expect from both of them. I definitely suggest you buy The Witcher 3. While both games are open-world,

• edited May 2017

Grab the Witcher 3 and all it's free dlc, and the expansions. Fantastic, beautiful, long game that has so many possible ways to complete quests that you could play the game differently every time for the rest of your life basically. Plus it has a NG+ feature that scales so once you beat the game, you can go through it again as a Super Witcher. But only once, can't do NG+++ stuff, sadly.

There are too many bad things built into MGS5 to recommend it. I haven't played it in a long time, but I doubt any thing was ever "fixed." The FOB (forward operating bases) is your massive limiter on how fast you can do ANYTHING in this game. You need hundreds, and hundreds and hundreds, of A rank, S rank, S+ and S++ level people working for you in order to get access to the higher level equipment, which takes real life hours to complete. Some things even take 20+ hours to make, so you'll decide to make something you want, and then learn, "Oh, I have to wait til TOMORROW to use this weapon? Guess I'm done for the day..." FOB's are also the worst fucking thing about this game. You have an OFFLINE and an ONLINE one.If you NEVER EVER go online, then all your materials stay in your offline base. But if you EVER go online, the game will decide to move your offline materials into your online ones, and leave you with 10% or something of your materials in your OFFLINE base. Including your money. So if you have say 9 mil in your offline, if you connected to online, then quit your game, almost all of it would be permanently transferred to your online, leaving you nearly penniless if you ever decide to start the game up in offline mode. Doing this, the game is actually forcing you into debt, which makes all your hundreds of workers shittier people, risking your high level people leaving, or dying because of fights, and leaving you with either no money, or a deeper dept until you connect back online to get access to your money and stuff again.

The shitty thing is that it feels great to simply play MGS5, but the game is built in such a fucked up way that you can't "Simply play" it.

Also, the amount of time I've just left MGS5 on so that the game would finish a 6-8-16 hour weapon upgrade is insane. I had over 100 hours of game time, but 20-30 had to have been just sitting in the chopper waiting for things to finish, while 200+ hours of The Witcher 3 was generally spent actually exploring and accomplishing things.

• BTW, you never had to complete any of the repeat missions to progress the story

I own both games so I know what to expect from both of them. I definitely suggest you buy The Witcher 3. While both games are open-world,

• Wow..

deadproxy posted: »

Grab the Witcher 3 and all it's free dlc, and the expansions. Fantastic, beautiful, long game that has so many possible ways to complete que

• edited May 2017

Wanna hear the best part about all that? The game gives you your first FOB for free, but that will cap out at like 800 people or something, which is not enough, believe me. Then you either spend real money buying another FOB that you desperately need, or collect enough daily bonus' (you MIGHT get some currency to buy one) until you can afford to buy one. Waiting for that daily bonus would take a month of checking every day at least.

It's a god damn shame that the amazing fox engine is going to be wasted on Konami, and be thrown into that stupid MGS Survive piece of shit zombie game.

Wow..

• Looks like Witcher 3 is going straight into my PS4.

Wanna hear the best part about all that? The game gives you your first FOB for free, but that will cap out at like 800 people or something,

• Great Game...I would say...it is the 3rd game in the series...and does not offer a good overview of who all these people you meet are...or even who Ciri is....so if you have any questions...we are here for you.

Looks like Witcher 3 is going straight into my PS4.

• Don't forget that they are using the engine to remake MGS 3

....On a gambling machine....

Wanna hear the best part about all that? The game gives you your first FOB for free, but that will cap out at like 800 people or something,

• Witcher 3 is an absolute masterpiece. One of those "once in a lifetime" experiences.

• Well, if you want to feel sooo fucking badass, play MGSV, the gameplay is a masterpiece but the story? Meh. I tried Witcher 3 once but stopped playing after a few missions.

• I saw this as a common complaint but never actually completed a repeat mission myself. I can't remember exactly but I think it has to do with simply deploying. I got to the end of the game simply doing side missions in between part 2s main missions.

BTW, you never had to complete any of the repeat missions to progress the story

• Witcher 3 if you like choices to matter in a game unlike a company ik currently cough

• I haven't tried Witcher 3, MGSV is a bit of a mixed bag. The story definitely doesn't feel as strong or structured as previous games, there's cutscenes but a lot of information is found in interview tapes rather than the traditionally extended cutscenes. They went through so much work recreating Sutherland, but he's rarely showcased through ingame scenes, with most of his voice work being limited to these tapes.

Gameplay, on the other hand, was the best in the series, I thought. Having a less structured progression in favor of an open world really expands the stealth gameplay. You're going to be revisiting quite a few places if you're going through all 100+ side missions in the open world, but with multiple ways to infiltrate the bigger installations I enjoyed it, and have nearly all of them completed. I've also never researched anything past tier for, or any of the day long projects, and got through the game just fine. FoB sounded more annoying than it was, resources are separated into unrefined and process, unless its change you can only lose unrefined resources through invasions, which are limited if its successful. I believe its based on how bad the attack is, but after a failed defense you can't be attacked for a day or two. Because you get unprocessed materials en bulk through gameplay and tasks, the amount I'd lost was so little I'd barely see a dent in my reserves.

The story just seems to have too few big moments compared to previous games for me, that was my main complaint about it. If MGS4 had way too many cutscenes, then 5 had way too few. They couldn't quite hit a balance there.

• You can tell mgs isnt a finished product, its actually a little sad :,(

• edited May 2017

I wonder if had they gone for multiple Ground Zeroes style and sized maps rather than 2 (mostly barren and dead) open world maps would've helped with the game's development. Well that and scrapping the last gen versions, so they wouldn't have had to spend time optimize the game for them.

You can tell mgs isnt a finished product, its actually a little sad :,(

• Wow you can't really go wrong with either choice. Loved both games, Witcher 3 is one of the best games ever and MGS is my favorite game frachise. I'd pick up Witcher 3 first but you should honestly play both once you're done it pick up MGSV.

• As a full package? Witcher 3 is the overall better game and it has some of the best sidequests/side stories in both WRPGs and RPGs in general.
    MGSV has better gameplay imo, but the story is pretty weak and unfinished and it probably has the weakest story in the series. I also hate how one of my favourite characters in the series, Revolver Ocelot, got tunred into some boring encyclopedia. It's almost like it's an Ocelot cosplayer, rather than the real one.

• edited May 2017

Well, Doom isn't the same thing as MGSV? You shouldn't give a shit about the story when the gameplay is a masterpiece.

You can tell mgs isnt a finished product, its actually a little sad :,(

• Yeah, if I recall you just had to complete 1 or 2 side missions to unlock another story mission in act 2

I saw this as a common complaint but never actually completed a repeat mission myself. I can't remember exactly but I think it has to do with simply deploying. I got to the end of the game simply doing side missions in between part 2s main missions.

• Well for the series as a whole, I'm pretty sure the story in an MGS game is of great importance, otherwise the past games wouldn't have had 30+ minute cutscenes.

AronDracula posted: »

Well, Doom isn't the same thing as MGSV? You shouldn't give a shit about the story when the gameplay is a masterpiece.

• You should play Witcher, then Witcher 2, then Witcher 3. In that exact order. It's a lifetime adventure and I would love to forget about this series just to play it again.

• I think this is one of the reasons why I stopped playing MGS4. There was such a long cutscene which didn't let me continue the game for some reason.

MichaelBP posted: »

Well for the series as a whole, I'm pretty sure the story in an MGS game is of great importance, otherwise the past games wouldn't have had 30+ minute cutscenes.

• MGS1, 2 & 3 were better in that regard, being more in the middle. 4 and 5 are on two opposite extremes. But I'd say that for an MGS having a story is better than next no story. Also slightly dissappointing that there weren't many surprises, as the trailers had pretty much every cutscene in the game.

I think this is one of the reasons why I stopped playing MGS4. There was such a long cutscene which didn't let me continue the game for some reason.

• And I still wish the first MGS games get remastered but I think it's impossible because Konami sucks at remastering their games. They ported Metal Gear Solid and Slient Hill on PS3/Xbox360 and those games sucked on those platforms.

MGS1, 2 & 3 were better in that regard, being more in the middle. 4 and 5 are on two opposite extremes. But I'd say that for an MGS havi

• MGS2, 3 and PW were ported by Bluepoint and those were great remasters overall, albeit 2 and 3 lacked some of the extra content of the Substance and Subsistance versions on PS2, partly due to licensing issues. But 3 and PW got a huge boost to resolution snd framerate (2 was just the resolution because it was already 60fps on PS2)
    Silent Hills 2 and 3 however sucked, with more glitches, worse framerate, missing visuals effects, etc.
    And there was also Zone Of The Emders 1 and 2. Both were ported by High Voltage Software, and released in a piss poor state, but 2 was fixed by Hexadrive

And I still wish the first MGS games get remastered but I think it's impossible because Konami sucks at remastering their games. They ported Metal Gear Solid and Slient Hill on PS3/Xbox360 and those games sucked on those platforms.

• edited May 2017

Bluepoint? That's the same company that remastered the Uncharted trilogy as well.

MGS2, 3 and PW were ported by Bluepoint and those were great remasters overall, albeit 2 and 3 lacked some of the extra content of the Subs

• They along with Hexadrive (for example, the HD remaster of Okami downsamples from 4K on a PS3) are probably the best developers when it comes to remastering games.

Bluepoint? That's the same company that remastered the Uncharted trilogy as well.

• I'm hoping for EA and Konami to just let them remaster Mass Effect, Dead Space and Silent Hill if they can't do shit.

They along with Hexadrive (for example, the HD remaster of Okami downsamples from 4K on a PS3) are probably the best developers when it comes to remastering games.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.