Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• [Go with Noelle] Goin' down to Dragonstone is what I want.

Also:

...on, they whispered. ...on.

I can't be the only one who thought Jon, Jon. That was actually my first thought, before realizing Aegon. :3

Ellena She had been walking for hours straight. They felt like days, but she knew that only a single night had passed, which she had spen

• I can't be the only one who thought Jon, Jon. That was actually my first thought, before realizing Aegon. :3

This is something I deliberately left vague. In the show, it is as good as confirmed that Jon is the prince that was promised, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they pull a twist on this (and at least in the books, there are several other possibilities). So, it is entirely possible that Noelle heard the name 'Jon' in the flames here, but, being Noelle, misinterpreted it to suit her own beliefs better. After all, she wants to believe that Aegon is the prince. Maybe she even genuinely heard Aegon's name being whispered in the flames, but in this case, she misinterpreted his position, since he is clearly not the prince who was promised.

captainivy1 posted: »

[Go with Noelle] Goin' down to Dragonstone is what I want. Also: ...on, they whispered. ...on. I can't be the only one who thought Jon, Jon. That was actually my first thought, before realizing Aegon.

• Well, this would have indeed been a pretty nice storyline to write. Harris would have went down like a true boss there, though in this case, it would have been Clayton who kills him, before being killed by Lucas and Kersea in return. In this case, the wildfire would have also survived the battle, to be used by Mullendore and Petyr for their future plans. That said, due to his crimes, it was a given that he couldn't remain in control forever, even in the best possible outcome, he would have been forced into exile. However, that much I can say, it would have been possible for Harris to live well into Book 2. Come to think of it, I believe this will be something I will tell you a lot more about in future 'What if'-sections. I cannot write this storyline down of course, but the least I can do is to satisfy your curiosity. :)

captainivy1 posted: »

One route for his survival would have been possible if Lucas and Willfred would have both sided with him in Chapter 7, resulting in him rema

• Hm, Noelle again. This was a great part and is definitely foreshadowing major events for the future if Noelle's vision is correct. I just realized now how strong Ellena is as a character, and I'm starting to like her a lot. Although I'm still mad at Noelle, I can kind of see her point of view on things. And she does seem like she's genuinely sorry for what she did, but still, it was fucked up.

[Go with Noelle] Like I just said, I'm still not happy with Noelle, and I know Ellena doesn't want to go anywhere near her. But this might be her best choice in terms of what she needs to do right now. Plus, I really want to see a storyline in Dragonstone :D

Ellena She had been walking for hours straight. They felt like days, but she knew that only a single night had passed, which she had spen

• [Go with Noelle]

• Indeed, if Ellena goes with Noelle now, she will become a Dragonstone PoV. While Aegon, Visenya and Rhaenys will have plenty of appearances in Book 2 regardless of this choice, she would obviously also interact with them and with other characters at the court.

Ah, I'm so glad to hear we'll be getting a lot of the three Targs in Book 2 =) They're arguably the most interesting of the canon characters in this era. Which also makes me hyped that the ancient enemy seems to be quite an important antagonist for them ;)

Let's just say, there would have been a chance for it. Noelle saw one way that could have worked, but there would have been many more factors which she simply hasn't seen. Her intentions were good, but even if she would have found the strength to burn Briar, unforseen things could have happened to screw her plan over. It was an incredibly fragile plan, but she was so desperate to prevent the War of Conquest that it was the only one she saw as even having a tiny chance of succeeding.

Yeah, I guess there was indeed a tiny thin chance for this to work as Noelle planned. I guess it really comes down to what exactly would the Targs have found from the archive. I mean, it has to be something extremely powerful, to make seven kingdoms stand down without a fight. Including stubborn kings like Argilac and Harren - even the dragons couldn't do that!

Hehe, I just knew you'd spot this one ;) Might still be some time until we actually see this enemy in person, but given what I have planned for that storyline, this is one of the rare instances where I am absolutely confident that it will be worth the wait! And his schemes will influence the story even before his first appearance. Come to think of it, they probably already do >:)

Oh, I've been waiting for this reference since you hinted it might be coming, so of course I spotted it immediately :p And I'm 100% sure it'll be worth the wait, this ancient enemy might be my favorite of all the characters I've submitted =) And oh man, this opens up all kinds of speculations on where he might be influencing things with his schemes.

A PoV in Dragonstone? YES PLEASE! Man, I'm hyped to see Aegon, Visenya and Rhaenys! Indeed, if Ellena goes with Noelle now, she wil

• This was a great part and is definitely foreshadowing major events for the future if Noelle's vision is correct.

Well, all of Noelle's visions do contain some truth or show at least one possible future. In this particular case, she has probably seen more than just a hint of what's to come, or else her reaction wouldn't have been that desperate :)

I just realized now how strong Ellena is as a character, and I'm starting to like her a lot.

I am glad to hear this! Indeed, Ellena has quite some strength to her, something I myself haven't realized from the very beginning. But I guess that is only natural, given what she's been through at such a young age.

Although I'm still mad at Noelle, I can kind of see her point of view on things. And she does seem like she's genuinely sorry for what she did, but still, it was fucked up

Trust me, Ellena is still mad at her as well and it is doubtful this will ever change. She might be able to cooperate with her, but forgiving her... That said, Noelle is genuinely regretful, though this is at least partially because of her failure and not just because of how much pain she caused.

Partition posted: »

Hm, Noelle again. This was a great part and is definitely foreshadowing major events for the future if Noelle's vision is correct. I just re

• Ah, I'm so glad to hear we'll be getting a lot of the three Targs in Book 2 =) They're arguably the most interesting of the canon characters in this era. Which also makes me hyped that the ancient enemy seems to be quite an important antagonist for them ;)

An important antagonist for important characters =) In many ways, Aegon and his sisters will be absolutely major in Book 2, though neither of them will be a PoV character of course. When it comes to the enemy, he will obviously be a major threat. Due to the way the Book 2 storylines will work, he likely won't be a threat in the way Mullendore is right now, who arguably is at least a secondary antagonist for 90% of the storylines. That said, he is still going to be a huge, looming threat and I am sure he will be a memorable big bad :)

Yeah, I guess there was indeed a tiny thin chance for this to work as Noelle planned. I guess it really comes down to what exactly would the Targs have found from the archive. I mean, it has to be something extremely powerful, to make seven kingdoms stand down without a fight. Including stubborn kings like Argilac and Harren - even the dragons couldn't do that!

Ah, it is doubtful that men like Harren or Argilac would have surrendered, if not impossible. However, they are only as powerful as their subjects allow them to be. If a majority of them sides with Aegon, there won't be a war, merely a small skirmish. That must be said, Noelle's plan would have claimed lives as well. However, the toll would have been substantially smaller.

Oh, I've been waiting for this reference since you hinted it might be coming, so of course I spotted it immediately :p And I'm 100% sure it'll be worth the wait, this ancient enemy might be my favorite of all the characters I've submitted =) And oh man, this opens up all kinds of speculations on where he might be influencing things with his schemes.

Your favourite? Ah, he got serious competition there =). I can see why you hold that opinion there. He, together with some other submitted characters of a... similar occupation have massively influenced the overlying story of Book 2. And in case of the ancient enemy, his influence has already been felt, though in what way will be revealed in the more distant future.

Indeed, if Ellena goes with Noelle now, she will become a Dragonstone PoV. While Aegon, Visenya and Rhaenys will have plenty of appearances

• edited May 2017

[Don't go with Noelle] Absolutely not! No! I cannot get behind this. I voted not to kill her because it would've been wrong but she's still a terrible person. She did monstrous things and she still doesn't believe that it was wrong. I want nothing to do with this woman. And #TeamTargaryen isn't a good enough reason for me. Seriously the only person I hate more than this vile witch, is Mullendore.

EDIT: I still don't understand how the death of Briar would've seen Harris alive and do what Noelle believed he would do? Is she wrong or would the murder of an innocent child actually have done this?

• I still don't understand how the death of Briar would've seen Harris alive and do what Noelle believed he would do? Is she wrong or would the murder of an innocent child actually have done this?

In short, there would have been a chance for Harris to live then, due to Kersea and Clayton not being present at the lighthouse. He would have used the Wildfire as planned and would have become a hero of Raylansfair. In that case, there would have been a chance for Harris to join Team Targaryen and to give them the archive and the power within. However, Noelle saw only one possible future and other variables could have still led to the War of Conquest and Harris' death. Naturally, she believes in her vision as the only possible future, whereas it is actually just one of many and that is really her primary flaw.

AgentZ46 posted: »

[Don't go with Noelle] Absolutely not! No! I cannot get behind this. I voted not to kill her because it would've been wrong but she's still

• [Go with Noelle] Hey! We got a chance to go see Dragonstone! Time to see whats up with Team Targ. Maybe we can eventually get Ellena to lighten up to our Red Priestess companion.

• Why would we want her to lighten up to Noelle?

Bounden posted: »

[Go with Noelle] Hey! We got a chance to go see Dragonstone! Time to see whats up with Team Targ. Maybe we can eventually get Ellena to lighten up to our Red Priestess companion.

• [Go with Noelle]

• [Go with Noelle]

Good thing Terroma and Marak were given a proper funeral. Marak was actually my favourite POV this Book and always will remain as one of my favourites. Too bad Irving and Alan will be short of one drinking partner.

• Ah, I just had to give them some sort of a funeral, it really wouldn't feel right to have them just rot away in the landscape. Both characters deserved better than that. I am really happy to hear that Marak has been one of your favourites, even if I am sorry I had to take him then. He surely was a special PoV and I had a lot of fun writing him. Actually, I ralized do miss him a lot :'( Well, I can at least promise that there should be more characters like him in the future :)

StarKing789 posted: »

[Go with Noelle] Good thing Terroma and Marak were given a proper funeral. Marak was actually my favourite POV this Book and always will remain as one of my favourites. Too bad Irving and Alan will be short of one drinking partner.

• Hey! We got a chance to go see Dragonstone! Time to see whats up with Team Targ.

A lot of stuff, that much I can say. With and without Ellena, Team Targ will go through a great amount of events in Book 2. Not all of it will be seen from Ellena's PoV, but she should be there for some really big things if this path gets chosen ;)

Maybe we can eventually get Ellena to lighten up to our Red Priestess companion.

Well, that would be a lot of work, that much I can promise. Ellena has good reason to hate Noelle and even if she chooses to accompany her, her feelings won't change anytime soon. Maybe if Noelle starts to express genuine regret and realizes that she has been in the wrong, that could be a step into the right direction. Really, the only thing that shows that their relationship doesn't have to stay that way is the fact that she decided not to kill Noelle. However, she still utterly loathes her, even if it seems she will go with her, meaning she will at least accept that Noelle has something to offer here that might be useful to her.

[Go with Noelle] Hey! We got a chance to go see Dragonstone! Time to see whats up with Team Targ. Maybe we can eventually get Ellena to lighten up to our Red Priestess companion.

• I don't personally hate Noelle. I see her as someone who has no true friends, who only finds solace a friend's warmth in her R'hllor. She has always been just a hand for whatever her god wanted her to do, and ever since she made her own conscious decision not to do as he warned she is going through a crisis of fate. Her only friend, a term I use loosely, is now dead. Wulvern now has a grudge against her for good reason. I am really interested to see whether she continues on this path of an individual, or go back to her Red Faith.

Why would we want her to lighten up to Noelle?

• You certainly don't have to hate her but I would be furious if Ellena forgave her or even lightened up to her. People died because of her and not only that but she tried to recruit a child murderer and she would've if not for Marak. She did all of that so she could murder an innocent girl and only regrets that she failed to do so. You could justify it with her reasoning being that she wanted to save many more lives or because her god told her too but that's just not good enough for me.

I don't personally hate Noelle. I see her as someone who has no true friends, who only finds solace a friend's warmth in her R'hllor. She ha

• [Go with Noelle]

• The Voting is closed!

Ellena is going to accompany Noelle to Dragonstone

This was a very interesting choice for me. I mean, Noelle is a pretty disliked character, for reasons I can quite understand, so I was curious if the prospect of having a Dragonstone storyline would be enough to make you follow her regardless. Turns out, it is enough, for a large majority at least. And well, this will lead to a very interesting storyline, that much I can say. I had two plans for Ellena from here on, one as the Dragonstone PoV for Book 2. The other one, which was planned earlier, would have seen her teaming up with two other PoV characters, with her probably getting the least amount of parts of her own in this team. So, I guess you picked the right decision when it comes to screentime and development for her. That said, this route will come with its very own dangers, most importantly this powerful enemy that Noelle wishes to face. All in all, I can say you at least picked a very interesting option that I am looking forward to write :)

The next part should be out later today. The problem is, I have gotten only a bit of writing done so far and a lot remains, due to me being absent for basically the entire weekend, Friday to Sunday. I had my phone with me, so I was able to comment, but no writing was done in the meantime. I visited my mother at the hospital and I think there are finally genuinely good news, as she is fully awake (if still a bit dizzy as an understandable effect of the medication she still requires), able to move her arms and legs and even to communicate in a very rudimentary fashion, though she cannot speak due to the tracheotomy she required. Her survival is still not absolutely guaranteed and will mostly depend on the surgery that will likely happen next week, but things look legitimately positive, which naturally has an effect on my own mood. I think the chances are good that she will fully recover, even if it'll take a while. Anyways, enough about that. The next part will be a Lucas part. Lucas is the PoV with the most remaining parts in this chapter, as he'll have 3, whereas other PoV's, such as Jaron, Drent and Arthur, will have only 2 more and some of the others will have only one. Last time we saw him, he had a new visitor in his cell, the former innkeeper Aylard Kawl. Taking what might be the final chance to have a talk with the man who is at least somewhat responsible for his daughter's death, Aylard basically knocked the guards out just to talk to Lucas. As it turned out, Aylard mostly wanted to know what exactly happened to Lunett and he ended up almost begging Lucas for details, as painful as they would be. Despite how much this is clearly going to affect Aylard, Lucas decided to tell him about Lunett's death. However, his next part is actually set after this talk, when Aylard has already left.

• Lucas

Aylard had left again. How much time had passed since then? Lucas could barely focus on this. All that went through his mind was Aylard and the look in his eyes, as he had told him about Lunett's death. Even now, he wasn't sure if this had been merciful or cruel towards the grieving man. All he knew was, the look in his eyes was that of a dead man, someone who had nothing left to lose.

The innkeeper had left without a word. All this time, he had listened to Lucas' story, before simply turning around and leaving in silence. And Lucas knew, he had done a terrible thing to this man. Perhaps at this point, after taking so much from him, it was still better than just being silent, denying him the knowledge of how exactly his daughter died. However, Lucas was not sure about it. All he knew was, the guilt was overwhelming.

“It is your fault”, Lunett whispered softly, as tears clouded Lucas' already limited vision. “You killed him... but you already knew that, didn't you?” She wasn't there, not really. He didn't even see her, but her voice rang through his mind as if she was standing right next to him, whispering into his ear. “How many have you killed?”, she asked. “Dozens? Hundreds? How many lives have you ended? Does one more really matter?”

“Do you feel guilty for him?”, Aylard asked and Lucas shivered. “That's right... you're a murderer. When you leave this world, this is what they will remember you for. A murderer” Lucas gasped and as he opened his eyes, he saw nothing but a veil of tears.

“A monster”, Lunett said coldly, her voice echoing through Lucas' thoughts. “A worthless bastard”, his father hissed. “A failure”, Harris added. Lucas faced the ground now, his breaths becoming faster, his wrists protesting against him putting so much weight onto them, as the chains around them cut deeply into his flesh.

“Murderer”

“Monster”

“Bastard”

“Failure”

Lucas frowned, as the voices in his head formed a cacophony. He tried to tear his chains away, everything to free his hands, to cover his ears, as the noise almost caused him physical pain. He couldn't take it anymore, by the gods, he couldn't take it!

“Murderer!”

“Monster!”

“Bastard!”

“Failure!”

“MURDERER”

“MONSTER”

“BASTARD”

”FAILURE”

“Uncle Lucas?”

The last voice, thin, weak and shy, caused him to open his eye widely, as he threw his head up, to look at the bars of his cell. He noticed how heavily he was breathing, how he himself must have screamed to make them stop, to drown out the noise they were making. It had been to no avail, but now, as he spotted the small figure outside his cell, they were silent.

He narrowed his single eye, as he slowly made out the features. It was a girl, very young, probably not even ten years old. She had fair skin, with chocolate brown hair, which was tied into a braid that fell over her right shoulder. The look in her green eyes was hesitant, gentle, yet curious, even if she was obviously slightly shocked at the miserable sight Lucas was giving her right now. And then it dawned upon him. “Edith?”, he gasped. “By the gods, you're...”

Momentarily, the young girl's eyes lit up and a thin smile formed on her face, though it faded as quickly as it came. There she stood, his niece, the result of Petyr's brief fling with a travelling merchant's daughter. Edith should have been at Darkdell still and her presence, it was almost as baffling as Petyr's had been just hours before.

“Uncle Lucas”, she greeted him, visibly glad that he recognized her. Quickly however, her shy nature shined through again. “I... I wanted to see you”, she stuttered. “Father said you did a... a very bad thing. He didn't want me to see you” For a moment, a proud look appeared on her face. “But I went anyway.

“Petyr...”, Lucas mumbled. “He brought you here?” Edith gave him a nod. “But he told me to stay in my room”, she answered. “I didn't want to. I heard they took you here” With fear in her eyes, she glanced at the chains that were holding him to the wall and Lucas finally noticed the blood that was streaming down his forearms, from where the iron had cut into the wrists.

He sighed, half out of relief at seeing a friendly face at last, half out of shame at being seen by his niece in this situation. He hadn't seen her in years and the time had been good to the young girl. Having grown almost a whole foot since their last meeting, she was clearly more confident than the terribly meek girl he remembered. A hint of her shyness remained in the way she looked at him, but it was a far cry from the timid little girl that grew up in Darkdell.

“You've grown, kid”, he said with a smile, only half-forced this time. Her smile in return was entirely genuine. “I'm not a kid anymore”, she said and her smile faded. “Almost, I mean...” She gulped, as she looked him right in the eye again. Her gaze fell upon the scars on his face, wandered along the eyepatch and subtly widened as she noticed his missing fingers. “What happened to you, Uncle Lucas?”

Lucas sighed. For all the quarrel he had with his half-brother, his niece was innocent and he loved her for it. She was but a child and he knew that she wouldn't be able to deal with the terrible truth of what had happened to him.

“I met some bad people”, he said. “And I got wounded in a fight with them” Edith frowned. “Oh”, she said. “Are... are you a bad person? Father said that you are” Lucas' mouth formed a thin line, as he clenched his fists. “Do you believe him?”, he asked.

Edith hesitated for a moment, before she subtly shook her head, instantly looking guilty at this gesture. “No”, she admitted. “Uncle Lucas, I'm scared. I don't want them to hurt you” She spoke with fear and it broke Lucas' heart to see his niece like this. To think that just a few minutes ago, he hasn't even been aware of her presence here in Raylansfair...

“They won't”, Lucas told her, a lie he himself wasn't believing in the slightest. Edith however seemed to buy it. Her smile widened hesitantly. “Good”, she answered. “But why is Father keeping you here then?”

To this, Lucas himself had no answer, at least none this child was supposed to hear. Petyr, for all his flaws, was her father and ruining her opinion on the man would probably harm her more than it would ever harm Petyr. “I don't know, Edith”, he replied.

“Maybe I can ask him?”, she offered. “You haven't done anything bad. He must let you free then!” Lucas raised an eyebrow. As hopeless as her suggestion was, maybe this was something. If there was one person in the world Petyr cared for, it was his daughter. If she'd ask him... by the gods, could he truly refuse? Deep down, Lucas was afraid that he already knew the answer.

From above, the sound of the door getting opened was heard. Footsteps, followed by a gasp. “What the fuck?”, a youthful voice growled and Lucas' eye widened as he recognized it. “Edith...”, he whispered and she looked at him, before nervously glancing at the staircase she had walked down from. “Does anyone know you are down here?”

Once again, she shook her head and Lucas felt panic rising inside of him. “Edith, I want you to hide”, he ordered her sharply. “Try to find some place to hide and whatever you do, don't come out until I say so”

Somehow, Edith herself realized the danger she had just gotten herself into, as she frantically looked around the corridor between the cells she was standing in. “There... there is nothing”, she stuttered and Lucas looked up. “One of the cells”, he said. “Hurry!”

Edith instantly followed his order, but it was already too late. Just as she turned to run down the corridor, the footsteps had reached the bottom of the stairs. “Well, well, well”, Connor Frostborn said, as he walked into Lucas' field of view. “A little girlie found her way into our realm. What are you doing here?”

“Stay away from her!”, Lucas barked sharply, a gesture Connor merely commented with an amused glance. “Shut up, bastard”, he said, before he looked back at Edith, who was frozen in terror, though not at the relatively plain teen, but at the man behind him. The Sphynx was silent as he approached the girl and he looked as if he had stepped right out of Lucas' nightmare.

“I wasn't aware that we're having a little guest today”, he chirped with his flat voice. “Little girl, little girl...” He came closer, as Edith backed away. “Oh, why so scared? There is nothing to be afraid of”, the Sphynx said, as he put a hand to his chest. “I am the Sphynx. What is your name?”

The girl tensed up. “Edith...”, she whispered shyly and the Sphynx nodded. “Hello, Edith”, he greeted her. “This is a lovely name. Quite a coincidence as well. You see, I know a song about a girl named Edith” He crouched down, so that he was able to look her directly in the eyes. “Do you want to hear it?”

Lucas let out an angry roar, though the effect of it was heavily weakened by his current condition and position. It was hard to look intimidating while chained to a wall. The Sphynx glanced at him and winked from beneath his mask. “You care for this girl, bastard? Well, you should have hidden it a bit better”, he asked, before he looked back at the terrified Edith, who started to sob in fear. “Why don't we sing a song together?”

It wouldn't come to this. Not for the first time today, an unexpected newcomer arrived at the scenery. This time, he was far less of a pleasant sight than Edith, but given the circumstances, Lucas couldn't help but feel slight relief as Petyr Vyrwel himself arrived at the scenery.

He was dressed elegantly, as always, his hair slicked back, his cloak neatly falling above his shoulder and the back. It only took him a second to recognize the situation for what it was and his usual smug and calm expression faded into something unrecognisable. “What is going on here?”, he growled.

It was Connor who spoke first, having noticed him before the Sphynx did. “Some brat sneaked into the cells”, he said with a sneer, though this expression was gone the moment Petyr heavily grabbed him by the throat, to push him against the iron bars of Lucas' cell. “What the hell are you freaks doing with my daughter?”, he roared.

Connor's eyes widened, as did the Sphynx, though the masked man had more subtlety at this. “Your daughter?”, he asked. “Apologies, Lord Vyrwel. We were not aware...” Looking at his crying daughter, Petyr let go of Connor. He walked towards her, spreading his arms and pulling her into a hug.

“Shhh”, he said softly, as the girl sobbed, crying into his shoulder. “Shhh, I'm here. They will not hurt you” He put his hands onto her shoulders and looked at her sternly. “Edith, I told you not to go down here” She gasped, still crying, as her father gently patted her back. “I... I just wanted to see Uncle Lucas...”, she stuttered and he shook his head. “Don't bother your head with Uncle Lucas”, he replied. “All will be well, my little flower” He smiled at her, a gesture full of warmth. “Now, go upstairs. Hugo is there. Stay with him until I am back”

She nodded, though she threw a sorrowful look at Lucas. “I'm sorry...”, she sobbed. “So sorry...” With these words, she rushed past her father and the two Alley Cats, though Connor gave her a wide, crude grin as she passed him. Luckily for him, Petyr didn't seem to notice it.

“Now...”, the Lord of Darkdell said, as he glared at the Sphynx. “There is one rule you will follow above all in my castle” He took a step towards him and for a moment, the torturer actually seemed intimidated by the fury of a father. “You and your lot will stay away from my daughter”, Petyr spoke, his voice calm and cold, though the subtle fury was worse than anything the Sphynx could ever say. “If I see any of you getting close to her again, I'll have you staked, every single one of you masked freaks. In public if I must, maybe that'll send a message not to mess with my daughter”

Connor grinned confidently. “You cannot do that. We're under Butterfly's protection”, he spat, as Petyr glared at him over his shoulder. Before he could do anything though, the Sphynx had grabbed his arm. “Ah, Lord Vyrwel, it will happen as you order”, he said, quickly calming the other man down. “In fact, I shall inform the Tom about this at once. He will make sure that your daughter won't be in danger from any of us...”

As he tried to weasel his way past Petyr, the lord grabbed him by the neck, yanking him backwards. For a moment, the Sphynx' hood fell down his shoulders and Lucas saw the back of his head, a hairless, scarred mass of flesh and melted ruins where his ears had been, before the masked man, now visibly uneasy, pulled it back up.

“You will stay”, Petyr growled. “I called you here for a reason. Maybe I have work for you” As Connor smirked at Lucas, the lord glared at him. “And 'Butterfly' will not protect you”, he added. “He's here because I allow it, so mind your place, freak

Once Connor was appropriately quiet, Petyr turned to Lucas. For a moment, there was no smug arrogance in his expression. The nod he gave his half-brother was almost respectful, which in itself came close to a mockery. Lucas responded with a dark glare. “Hello, brother”, Petyr greeted him.

“What do you want?”, Lucas growled. “Came here to gloat about your victory? Congratulations, mylord! You won and it only took you two dead family members to get there” Petyr raised an eyebrow. “Three”, he replied nonchalantly. “Mother... I am afraid her weak heart hasn't handled the stress of father's death”

Lucas found it odd how calm he was at these news. There had never been any love between him and his father's wife, but never, not even in his wildest dreams could he ever imagine that his reaction to her death would be such indifference. Yet here he was, wondering when he had become so cold.

“Have you poisoned father?”, he asked. Petyr gave him a nod without even hesitating. “I did”, he replied calmly and Lucas felt anger rising up inside of him. “Why?”, he spat and Petyr raised an eyebrow. “You seem oddly aggravated at these news”, he answered. “You shouldn't. He was a bad father and an even worse lord. I hated him for the former and killed him for the latter”

Lucas narrowed his eye. “And you make for a better lord?”, he asked. This time, the hint of an arrogant smile formed on Petyr's face. “Far better”, he promised. “Unlike father, I have visions. Goals I wish to fulfil. Under my lead, House Vyrwel will become a better, stronger house than ever before”

“And the others?”, Lucas asked. This time a hint of concern appeared in his words. “What have you done to our siblings?” Petyr chuckled dryly. “What do you mean?”, he asked. “They are alive and fine of course” He spread his arms. “This I promise. Otho has been the most troublesome, but I think we came to an arrangement. He will be my castellan in Darkdell during my absence, he will do a good job and I will be happy with him”

Lucas sighed. His brother, Otho, he had always been weak-willed. It surprised him that Petyr called him the troublesome one, but at least he wasn't dead. “In fact, I'll even find him a suitable bride with a good name”, Petyr continued. “Just like how I'll find husbands for Shiera and Meria. In fact, Meria is already betrothed, to Edwin Oakheart. Shiera meanwhile... well, I'm sure I'll find her a good husband as well. Maron had his filthy eye on her, but I put an end to that. Given her... tongue, I doubt she'd survive a fortnight as his wife. No, I'll find a good husband for her, not Maron”

“Maron...”, Lucas mumbled, though he couldn't hide the hint of relief at these news about his siblings. This was the one thing he believed about Petyr's words. His siblings were innocent in this scheme and they did not deserve to pay for it. “You have chosen a dangerous ally there”

Petyr flashed him a cocky grin. “Your concern for my well-being is touching, brother”, he replied. “I can assure you, Maron and I have a mutually beneficial agreement” To this, Lucas actually chuckled, though without any joy. He glared at Petyr, his gaze filled with hatred. “You underestimate him”, he growled. “You know what he did to me, do you?”

“I know he did a lot more and a lot worse”, Petyr replied. “But like me, he did so for a better future. I can... understand him, at the least. I might not share his methods, but I can see why he did what he did” He shrugged. “But this is in the past now. Butterfly is gone. Officially dead even. Maron has left Oldtown and is here now, where he will serve as my ally”

“For what goal?”, Lucas growled and Petyr shook his head. “Nice try, brother”, he said. “But I don't like spelling out my plans to my enemies. I'm afraid you'll never learn the truth” He glanced at the Sphynx and eagerly, the masked man put a hand onto his belt, where he kept most of his equipment, from crude knives to terrifying hooks. Subtly, the lord shook his head. “Not yet, Sphynx”, he told him.

As he spoke, he looked back at Lucas and for a moment, both brothers just glared at each other. Finally, Lucas gave in, by looking away first. “What do you want, Petyr?”, he asked. “If you haven't come to gloat, then what is it? Surely you haven't come to catch up with me”

Petyr gave him a nod. “Always smarter than you look”, he replied in a tone that was clear mockery. “Yes, I am here for something, something important in fact” He reached into his coat and revealed a scroll, which he unfurled. In the dim light, it was impossible for Lucas to make out any details, so he raised an eyebrow in a questioning way.

“A confession”, Petyr was quick to explain. “The same one Maron offered you earlier. You will sign it, confessing to quite a number of things he actually did. A little more maybe. After that, I will allow you to keep your wretched life, to live out your days at the Wall”

Lucas chuckled bitterly, as he shook his head. “I already refused Mullendore”, he said. “What makes you believe I am even willing to think about your deal?” Petyr replied with a smirk. “You did refuse Maron's offer indeed and it was a smart move. I myself wouldn't have trusted that man in your situation”, he complimented him. “However, I am your brother. I was hoping this would change something”

His smirk faded and now he looked deadly serious. “I never found any joy in killing father. I did it because it was necessary, for our house and for this kingdom. A weak ruler had to be disposed”, he explained. “Just like how I haven't found joy in his death, I won't find any in yours. Accept my deal and I shall offer you a way out of this mess. You can keep your life and maybe you can even regain your honour at the Wall. Of course, you will never be a danger to me or my plan ever again, so we both get what we want, in a way”

Once again, Lucas shook his head. “And if I refuse?”, he asked. Now, Petyr looked at the Sphynx, giving him a nod. The torturer took a step forwards and though his mask prevented any facial expression from being seen, Lucas could swear that he was grinning. “Well, I have called for the Sphynx for this case”, Petyr said. “Don't be stubborn, brother. You already broke once under his knives. What makes you believe that you will remain strong this time?”

He took a step towards Lucas, until he stopped right in front of the iron bars. In an odd way, Lucas could see a hint of respect in Petyr's cold, green eyes. “You fought long and hard and I admire this”, the Lord of Darkdell spoke. “But you don't have to carry on. You don't have to suffer anymore. Think about yourself for once. Sign my confession and this nightmare will end for you. Nobody will judge you for this, for they would act the same in your situation. There is no shame in losing after such a hard battle”

[Accept Petyr's deal] [Refuse Petyr's deal]

• [Refuse Petyr's deal]

Refused once, can be refused also the second. I don't want Lucas to admit the crimes of Mullendore and take the blame. Even if it costs him life. Better to die true to yourself than with false title till end of days on you. He already suffer from the guilt in a traumatic way, I think only death could help Lucas in such situation, unless Argella finds somehow the way to free him.

Lucas Aylard had left again. How much time had passed since then? Lucas could barely focus on this. All that went through his mind was Ay

• [Refuse Petyr's deal] Yeah again, screw that. We will not allow Lucas to submit after all what happened to him. Even if Lucas dies, he will still get the last laugh.

Lucas Aylard had left again. How much time had passed since then? Lucas could barely focus on this. All that went through his mind was Ay

• edited May 2017

[Refuse Petyr's deal] While I'm of the opinion that Lucas will be at this point the wall PoV (because it will be a very enjoyable read) I think that he should be forced to sign the confession (something that the Sphynx can achieve)

RT:

• Welcome back Lucas visions of the dead!
    • Yes,it's official now that Aylard fate won't be a good one
    • Welcome to Raylainsfair prison,where everyone,even little girls,can have a talk with our prisoners
    • The Sphynx and Connor almost manage to ruin all Butterfly plans,thankfully Papa Bear save his own child
    • I really enjoy the talk between Lucas and Petyr since we learn some interesting information (like the fact that Petyr don't know of Mullendore secret alliance)
    • I'm really looking forward to see Darkdell as a location in the future book (and obviously all the others Lucas siblings+Oakheart and his family)

• [Refuse Petyr's deal]

• edited May 2017

[Accept Petyr's deal]

You know what, I've changed my mind. I'm really liking Petyr as a character. And if Lucas is going to submit anyway, I think it'll make for a better moment to have him break now after having had a heart-to-heart with his brother.

• [Accept Petyr's deal] We've already been at this position before. We forced Lucas to stick his ground against Mullendore and Lucas still broke in the end with a nasty eyepatch and missing fingers to show for the deed. We won't gain anything by holding out, because Lucas will break again. If he did it once he will surely do it again because of his broken state. It kills me to give Mullendore and Petyr this advantage, but in the end they will get it out of him. At least this way he can remain a functional human being and continue to do some good in the North. The Wall always needs good men to serve it, and being dead will do no one good.

• Welcome back Lucas visions of the dead!

This time they have been less visions and more auditory hallucinations. He's basically hearing voices right now, as a result of a severe lack of sleep, dehydration and a generally desperate situation. Though they are getting worse, as he proves more and more that he is unable to handle the stress he is going through right now.

Yes,it's official now that Aylard fate won't be a good one

Oh yeah, Aylard is in some serious trouble. The loss of Lunett has changed him for the worse and all he can think of right now is getting his revenge on Mullendore. After Lucas told him what happened to his daughter, this has only gotten worse. While he is not dead yet, he surely is going to get himself into a lot of danger and his death is a very realistic possibility.

Welcome to Raylainsfair prison,where everyone,even little girls,can have a talk with our prisoners

Well, they surely can, as long as big, angry innkeepers beat the guards to near death with a warhammer just before ;) Aylard's previous visit was necessary for Edith to gain access to the cells, otherwise the guards would have stopped her. These unconscious guards have only been discovered by Connor and the Sphynx when they arrived, explaining Connor's "What the fuck?" exclamation, which clued Lucas in on their arrival.

The Sphynx and Connor almost manage to ruin all Butterfly plans,thankfully Papa Bear save his own child

Hoooo, the Sphynx really dodged a bullet here. If he would have harmed Edith here, the alliance between Petyr and Mullendore wouldn't necessarily be dead, but the Alley Cats surely would. His mask hid it well, but he was legitimately freaking out when he learned just whom this little girl was. Maybe next time he'll think twice before intimidating a child.

I really enjoy the talk between Lucas and Petyr since we learn some interesting information (like the fact that Petyr don't know of Mullendore secret alliance)

I am glad you enjoyed it! When it comes to Petyr's knowledge about Mullendore's plans, it can be assumed that he knows at least some stuff, or else he likely wouldn't be so eager to help. However, just how much he knows is still up for debate. In return, it can be assumed that he has plans he is hiding from Mullendore. Those two are allies, but neither of them is stupid enough to fully trust the other one.

I'm really looking forward to see Darkdell as a location in the future book (and obviously all the others Lucas siblings+Oakheart and his family)

I am still not sure if Darkdell is going to be a location in the story proper, though I can reveal that we'll see more of the Vyrwel family in Book 2. The Oakheart family will also be a big part of Book 2. In fact, I plan to introduce some of them pretty early in. They have been submitted a long while ago, but just like many characters who have been submitted a long while ago, I finally get to the point where their introduction gets closer =)

[Refuse Petyr's deal] While I'm of the opinion that Lucas will be at this point the wall PoV (because it will be a very enjoyable read) I

• edited May 2017

Yay, double post :/

[Refuse Petyr's deal] While I'm of the opinion that Lucas will be at this point the wall PoV (because it will be a very enjoyable read) I

• [Accept Petyr's deal]

• Ah, this was an interesting part. So far I had got the image that Mullendore is the on pulling the strings and Petyr is more or less just another pawn for him. However, this part made me think that they might be more equal than I thought at first, both of them sort of playing each other. Petyr having a daughter was also an interesting surprise, and him also clearly caring about her makes me respect him at least a bit. As well as the fact that he kind of seems to despise the Alley Cats and even Mullendore to some degree. Also, it was pretty interesting to hear more about Lucas' family. Now, to the choice...

[Accept Petyr's deal] This option probably won't win, and I definitely understand why one would choose the other option. Lucas has been defiant for so long that giving up now would indeed be a bit frustrating. That said, I just have a feeling that continuing to defy will just lead to unnecessary suffering, for Lucas and possibly for other people as well. And for what it's worth accepting the offer from Petyr at least feels a bit more tolerable than accepting it from Maron.

• [Accept Petyr's deal] like some other poeple pointed out the sphynx will get lucas to sign the paper, I don't think lucas has anymore friends that will be able to help him fast enough also argella or somebody else might still be able to atleast show the truth to the people after he signed the paper. Even then the people lucas cares about know the truth about him and that is what counts.

• [Accept Petyr's deal]

• Great part, Lucas's storyline this chapter is really setting the stage for some extra plot lines and also enhancing the one against Mullendore. I don't like Petyr at all already but I'm not too sure what to entirely make of him yet. I feel like a plot twist can happen and he'll end up helping Lucas. Who knows, just a bold statement from me :D

[Accept Petyr's deal] Bounden and WildlingKing took the words right out of me. My past decisions for choices like this has always been in this direction, as I don't want Lucas wasting his energy and causing him to mentally collapse even more all while fighting a losing battle. Just give in now while we can before any additional damage is done.

• [Refuse Petyr's deal]

• [Accept Petyr's deal] Perhaps I am just a naive fool but the fact that Petyr is offering this now makes me more tempted to accept then I was with Mullendore. Hopefully there will be no betrayel here. Out of curiosity would there be much difference in things to come depending on whether Lucas agreed to the deal from Mullendore or Petyr?

Why is this happening? I suddenly like Petyr? HOW!? How did this happen! XD
    Seriously though I find himm really interesting and now I'm even more curious about Lucas' family.
    Was there ever a time that Lucas and Petyr were close?

• [Refuse Petyr's deal]

• Out of curiosity would there be much difference in things to come depending on whether Lucas agreed to the deal from Mullendore or Petyr?

Well, as much as I would like to say anything about this yet, I can't do it, for spoiler reasons. However, this chapter is nearing its completion and I think I can answer your question either in a couple of parts, after Lucas' next part, or after the chapter itself in the alternative choices.

Why is this happening? I suddenly like Petyr? HOW!? How did this happen! XD
    Seriously though I find himm really interesting and now I'm even more curious about Lucas' family.

Muahahaha, excellent :D It is great to hear that you are intrigued by him! Petyr is mostly my own creation, though some information about him came from Lucas' backstory. Of course, he is a bad guy, a man who murdered his parents for sheer lust for power. At the same time, I wanted to give him some redeemable traits, such as his love for his daughter or the fact that he, unlike Maron, is not exactly a sadist, merely a cold schemer.

Was there ever a time that Lucas and Petyr were close?

As a matter of fact, yes! Lucas and Petyr have been very close in Lucas' youth, which is why his eventual betrayal hit especially hard. In fact, it took Lucas a very long time to get behind Petyr's schemes exactly due to this close bond, as he never thought his favourite sibling to be capable of such cold-blooded actions. This in turn was the reason Petyr put the blame for his actions on him, resulting in Lucas' banishment from Darkdell.

[Accept Petyr's deal] Perhaps I am just a naive fool but the fact that Petyr is offering this now makes me more tempted to accept then I was

• I imagine that you can't tell me about how Petyr feels now just yet but is there any part of Lucas that still cares about Petyr?

Out of curiosity would there be much difference in things to come depending on whether Lucas agreed to the deal from Mullendore or Petyr?

• That is something I can answer indeed. Lucas has considered Petyr his favourite sibling for a long time, but these feelings changed entirely when he got screwed over by him. Right now, there is a lot of resentment and disappointment towards Petyr, but it is not on the same level of hatred he has for Mullendore. It's more bitterness over having misjudged someone he loved so severely. So, no, right now there is no part of Lucas that still cares for Petyr, but neither does he fully hate him.

I imagine that you can't tell me about how Petyr feels now just yet but is there any part of Lucas that still cares about Petyr?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.