Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• I've just began reading the first pages and I already think that this story has the potential to be crazy good. Such a shame that I've got 3 years worth of writing to catch up to though ;-; Well, I better make some popcorn cause this is gonna be a long ride... gods give me strenght xD

• I made it in the past too, so believe in yourself. It's totally doable.

Enjoy! :-)

I've just began reading the first pages and I already think that this story has the potential to be crazy good. Such a shame that I've got 3

• Welcome to the family!

Like @Mathea already said it's not an impossible task read all the story from the beginning,expecially such an enjoyable read!

PS:I'm sure that you already know it but I suggest you to not read the unknown/deceased characters list

I've just began reading the first pages and I already think that this story has the potential to be crazy good. Such a shame that I've got 3

• Funny you should mention that... I almost did exacty that when I got distracted while looking through the characters that are yet to be introduced. Lucky for me, I was able to scroll down fast enough before I could make out any names haha.

And thank you guys very much for the warm welcome, its a great change of pace compared to the constant bickering that goes on in the TWD parts of the forum xP.

Welcome to the family! Like @Mathea already said it's not an impossible task read all the story from the beginning,expecially such an enj

• Do not of TWD forum here! XD

Funny you should mention that... I almost did exacty that when I got distracted while looking through the characters that are yet to be intr

• Ah, this is great, welcome! I'm glad to hear that you're interested and that you enjoy what you have read so far.
    While it indeed requires a bit of a read to fully catch up, I can assure you that the story is by far not finished, so you are certainly not too late to join. If there are any questions, I am always happy to answer them either here in the thread or via PM. Same goes for any help I may offer to make catching up easier. I hope you enjoy the story :)

• Really, you deserve a lot of praise for this story and by how you tell it. I got so drawn to it that I've decided to read the summary now so I can catch up quickly and after I finish it, go through the chapters one by one just to get everything the story has to offer. And it makes me really glad that there's still two more books to come after this one... it means I'll have plenty of time to fully read all the chapters :)

Ah, this is great, welcome! I'm glad to hear that you're interested and that you enjoy what you have read so far. While it indeed requires

• edited May 2017

Ah, this is great, welcome! I'm glad to hear that you're interested and that you enjoy what you have read so far. While it indeed requires

• The Voting is closed!

Lucas is going to accept Petyr's deal

Well... I almost thought we'd get a vote tie. In that case, I would have counted the first vote twice, which means Lucas would have refused the deal. However, thanks to a last-minute tie breaker, things changed entirely. And I have not expected this, to be honest :D I was pretty sure that you would refuse the deal after seeing that the first six or so votes have been in favour of refusing. That was quite the comeback and I am amazed by it. You all brought up good arguments for both option. And it was a big choice, if not as huge as some of the others. It's clear, Petyr and Mullendore will get an advantage from this, but who knows, maybe this will hold some advantages for Lucas as well. It all comes down to wether or not Petyr can be trusted with upholding his side of the deal.

The next part... well, I hope to put it out today. It will be a Jaron part, his penultimate in this chapter. However, I have written far less than I wanted to at this point and I haven't been home for most of today, so I am not sure if I will be able to finish it today. Neither do I know if I will be able to finish it tomorrow. Thing is, I'll be at the hospital again from tomorrow evening to Saturday evening. My mother is fully conscious again, so I try to spend time with her as much as possible, especially as she'll have a difficult surgery coming up on Tuesday (hopefully the only one she requires). So, if I don't manage to finish the part today or tomorrow before leaving, I'll have to keep you waiting for Saturday. But just leaving the voting open until then, especially with things beings so close to another tie, that wouldn't sit right with me. So, I close it now and will hurry up a bit with my writing speed ;)
    The last time we have seen Jaron, he and Samuel interrogated Farris Flowers, the captain of the city guard, who was surprisingly willing to reveal the location of Samuel's brother. Apparently, Ryder was currently at the Thousand Shades of Flowers, Oldtown's most exclusive brothel, after having taken a liking to one of the girls there. Arriving at the building, it turned out that the sellsword Erik Inchfield, one of their companions from the failed mission to save the Burned Man, has found a new job as one of the brothel guards. He let Samuel and Jaron through, albeit begrudgingly, though he failed to notice that Samuel smuggled a dagger into the building with him. In the entrance hall, they were stopped by a man named Joshawa, who had the task of greeting new customers. In their talk with him, Samuel grew increasingly angry over not just being told where Ryder is located. At the same time, Erik informed Lanford, the captain of the brothel's guards of the unexpected newcomers. Jaron was left with the choice to calm Samuel down to prevent things from escalating or to distract Lanford and Erik. He decided for the former. Furthermore, I should say that there is the chance that this part won't have the full length of a part, as I might require a choice pretty quickly into this (which would leave Jaron with a longer final part in this chapter). In that case, I'll have room for a second PoV, which I think is going to be Samantha's, the first (but likely not only) in this chapter.

• Well,when the stick don't work the carrot is what can be used to make people follow others orders.

Btw I'm not complaining with the choice (since I even have in mind to change my vote if the tie still wasn't resolved) and I'm quite excited for the Lucas future storyline (even if almost everyone in Westeros will now believe that he is a psychopath that slaughter kids,rape women and change alliance just to save his own ass). However I'm sorry for Argella that will see all her plan to save the knight fall to pieces the moment that Mullendore and Petyr will show the confession to Tyrell.

Despite I'm quite excited to read Jaron's (and maybe even Samantha) next part don't worry if you don't manage to write them now.RL is always more important (now more than ever).

The Voting is closed! Lucas is going to accept Petyr's deal Well... I almost thought we'd get a vote tie. In that case, I would have c

• Btw I'm not complaining with the choice (since I even have in mind to change my vote if the tie still wasn't resolved) and I'm quite excited for the Lucas future storyline (even if almost everyone in Westeros will now believe that he is a psychopath that slaughter kids,rape women and change alliance just to save his own ass). However I'm sorry for Argella that will see all her plan to save the knight fall to pieces the moment that Mullendore and Petyr will show the confession to Tyrell.

This is indeed the big problem. Lucas is now admitting to his own guilt, which makes it very hard for him to later prove his innocence in front of unbiased authorities. That said, there might be ways for him to defuse this confession later on. It is sort of messing with Argella's plan, that much I can reveal, but in the end, there is no guarantee that her plan would have worked in the slightest.

Despite I'm quite excited to read Jaron's (and maybe even Samantha) next part don't worry if you don't manage to write them now.RL is always more important (now more than ever).

Yeah, I am afraid today won't work after all. A lot of things have to be taken care of right now and I gotta leave soon, with the part not yet finished. However, I think I should be more than able to finish it tomorrow, so there's something to look forward for. Still, I feel bad for the delay, as I wish to finish this chapter as soon as possible. Ah well, one day more or less won't change much, I guess :)

Well,when the stick don't work the carrot is what can be used to make people follow others orders. Btw I'm not complaining with the choi

• Jaron

Deciding between the possible threat of Lanford ruining their day and the very real threat of Samuel starting a fight, Jaron didn't have to think for long. He moved towards the sellsword, giving him a sharp look, to which Samuel reacted by raising an eyebrow in an irritated way. Silently, Jaron nodded towards the door, where Lanford just moved in.

Despite his anger, Samuel realized the situation and it didn't take much more than that for him to regain control over his actions before the situation would turn sour. With a frown on his face, he turned away from Joshawa and just in this moment, the dark-skinned man grinned slyly, at least for a moment, before his expression changed back to his former, friendly expression. “Is there a problem?”, he asked.

“You know very well what the problem is!”, Samuel spat, a bit louder than he probably intended, as Lanford instantly glared at him, as he approached them. Though no steel was drawn, his hand was firmly resting on the hilt of his sword. Behind him, Erik and two other men entered the room, all of them armed.

“You two again”, Lanford growled as he had gotten close enough. He kept his voice low, but his tone and posture was threatening enough. In this moment, he reminded Jaron not of a mere brothel guard, but of a soldier. He was not only able to kill them, but absolutely ready, should they take this too far.

Jaron greeted him with a nod, though Samuel merely reciprocated the cold glare. “Are we not allowed to come here?”, he asked and Lanford narrowed his eyes. “You are not allowed to cause trouble here”, he replied sharply.

To this, Jaron raised an eyebrow. “But we aren't causing any trouble”, he answered, though he had to take a deep breath as Lanford's angry glare hit him. “You're his thug now?”, he asked. “Lying for him? Even I'd be ashamed of myself if I'd stoop so low” He fully faced Jaron now, crossing his arms, one hand still resting on the hilt. “Or are you trying to convince me that you, two former enemies, just decided to check out a brothel together, on a day like this?” He glanced at Erik. “Did you check them?”

Though Erik was quick to confirm this, Lanford obviously wasn't convinced. He turned to Samuel, mustering him carefully. Finally, he extended his hand, giving him a slow nod. Samuel momentarily looked at Jaron, before he sighed. Slowly, he extended his own hand, to shake the one offered to him. As expected, Lanford instantly clutched to his forearm, pulling him closer with a threatening growl.

“So, you checked them”, he barked towards Erik, still glaring at Samuel. He let go of the sellsword, though he kept his hand extended. “There are two ways how this can end now, you give me that dagger and we continue our talks, or you draw it and we'll have a fight. You might be good, but you are just one man. Consider your chances”

Samuel indeed considered them. Jaron had already done so and he did not like them. A fight was the last thing they needed right now. And he knew, as much as he felt obliged to assist Samuel, he would not die for him. Apparently, Samuel came to the same conclusion, as he reluctantly reached into he sleeve, pulling out the dagger, before handing it over to Lanford, hilt first.

The other man glanced at the weapon for a while, before he wordlessly handed it to Erik, giving the younger man a stern look while he did so. For a moment, there was only silence, before he sighed audibly. “Now, whom did you want to kill in here?”, he asked. His tone was cold and demanding, yet there was the hint of genuine interest as well.

It took a moment until Samuel answered. At first, he just stared at the man, visibly uncertain if he should reveal this detail from his past. Then, he sighed. “I am looking for my brother”, he revealed. Lanford's eyes widened, though only slightly and Jaron realized that the older man was familiar with this story.

“So, you have caught up to him at last”, he mumbled and Samuel's glare got sharper. “You know about this?”, he replied and Lanford nodded quietly. “A lot of secrets get uncovered in these halls”, he spoke. “I know your story, Fang, but don't expect any sympathy from me”

“I don't want any”, Samuel answered and with relief, Jaron noticed that both men seemed a lot less willing to fight than before. “I just want to know where Ryder is” Lanford bit down onto his lower lip, before he shook his head. “I know this is important to you”, he said. “But I cannot do this. Betraying one of our customers like that, Hishi would not want this”

As he said this, Joshawa looked up. His gaze met Jaron's and he winked, though he remained silent, watching the scene. In the meantime, the momentary peace between Lanford and Samuel seemed more fragile again. Samuel seemed frozen for a second. “He is here?”, he asked and Lanford nodded.

Just in this moment, Lanford and Joshawa exchanged a look. The dark-skinned man grinned, to which Lanford subtly shook his head. Jaron noticed it and sure enough, Samuel did as well. The sellsword spun around, looking right into Joshawa's pearly-white grin. “What do you want, he barked.

Joshawa slightly bowed, with mocking politeness, as Samuel clenched his fists. “You know, we do pride us in our secrecy. Protecting our clients is our primary goal”, he explained. “However, this... disagreement between you and Ryder Harrington, I believe it is a threat to our guests. Say, if we were to throw you out now, what would you do?”

“I'd find another way in”, Samuel replied. “I'd kill Ryder and any man trying to stop me” Jaron threw an alarmed glare at Lanford, who remained oddly calm, if visibly displeased at Joshawa. In return, the man seemed pleased. “A tremendous risk for our guests”, he stated. “We know that standing in your way is as dangerous as it is unnecessary” He shrugged. “Ryder might be a good customer, but we don't owe him our loyalty”

Lanford sighed, once again shaking his head, this time less subtly. “Joshawa...”, he growled, though the man merely smirked. “This is what Hishi would want, my friend”, he merely replied, much to Lanford's visible anger. “Samuel... I can call you Samuel, can't I? Samuel, you are a man with remarkable knowledge”

Realizing what he was aiming for, Samuel sighed. “You want a trade”, he concluded. “My knowledge for Ryder” Politely, Joshawa nodded. “All of your knowledge”, he clarified. “Word has it that you have left the Solvers. Yet you've been deep in Butterfly's inner circle. I am sure you know some... fascinating secrets”

Finally, an intrigued look appeared in Lanford's eyes. “There could be revenge for Keira at last”, he gasped and Joshawa nodded. “Hishi will decide on this”, he replied. “But yes, with the right knowledge we could take them down, could prevent anyone from controlling them like Butterfly controlled them”

Samuel thought about this for only a moment before he nodded. “All I know will be yours. Just tell me where Ryder is”, he promised. “And don't get in my way when I face him” Joshawa's smile widened. “Upstairs”, he said. “The third room to the left. He's with Donna right now, his favourite”

The openness with which he revealed this crucial information surprised Jaron, who gave Joshawa a curious look. “You're just telling us?”, he asked. “Where's the catch?” A look of feigned surprise formed on Joshawa's face. “Are you implying I might have a trick planned there?”, he asked and shook his head. “I can assure you, this is far from the truth. I merely believe your friend. Samuel is known for being reliable”

Samuel was quick to nod. “I will tell you everything I know”, he promised. “This I swear” Joshawa took a step to the side. “Then go ahead. Face your brother”, he offered. “But don't blame us if you don't find the monster you're looking for”

While Jaron frowned at his words, Samuel seemed to ignore them. He turned to Lanford, extending his hand. “My weapons”, he said. “All of them” It only came as a slight surprise when Lanford shook his head. “Deal or not, you're still inside of the Thousand Shades of Flowers”, he explained. “No weapons for anyone but the Thorns. There are no exceptions” He glared at Joshawa. “You might have the right to make such deals, but the security of our customers is my domain. He won't have any weapons”

Samuel opened his mouth to protest, though Jaron, who had noticed that Erik and the other Thorns had put their hands back onto their weapons was quick to speak up in his stead. “We accept these terms”, he agreed. Samuel shot him a glare, but Jaron reciprocated it in kind. “You have hunted for your brother for so long”, he explained. “Do you truly think you will need a weapon to fight him?”

The sellsword thought about this for a second. Finally, he gave in with a sigh. “No”, he agreed. “No, I don't think I need them. With or without a weapon, I am going to kill this man” He looked back at Joshawa. “And once it is done, we will sit together and we will discuss a few things”

“Gladly”, Joshawa replied. “Shall I bring one of the girls? A boy maybe?” He chuckled brightly to Samuel's glare, as the sellsword pushed himself past him. Jaron followed, though he stopped as Lanford put a hand onto his shoulder. “Don't let him do this”, he said sternly, though there seemed genuine concern in his voice. “If you have any of your knightly vows left, don't let him do this”

Jaron pulled himself free without giving an answer, though these words rang through his mind as he hurried after Samuel. His vows... he had made them merely a year ago. Back then, he wanted to become a true knight. The mere thought that he could go against them, it had been inconceivable back then. And here he was, helping a man without any morals killing his own brother.

“There it is”, Samuel hissed, as he pointed at one of the doors. “If Joshawa told the truth...” He seemed nervous, his fists trembling in a way that was unsettling. For a moment, it even seemed as if tears would form in his eyes. “He's close... so close” He shot a questioning look at Jaron. “Are you with me?”, he asked, all of a sudden. His question, it hit Jaron almost as much as Lanford's earlier statement did. Was he truly on Samuel's side here?

[Tell him that you will support him] [Try to convince him to avoid a fight]

Samantha

The last bit of dirt filled the hole they had buried for I'lian. The skies were clouded, a dim day, a gloomy day, perfect to mourn the loss of a friend. Samantha hadn't cried for him. She was mourning, of course, and she felt as if she would break into tears anytime now. But they didn't come. And somehow, this was worse as if she would break down here.

Jaro however was crushed, tears streaming down his face, his strong frame not enough to hide a shocking frailty. She could understand it. After all, he had just buried his brother. Even Sasha seemed genuinely affected and she knew neither of them for more than half a week.

Samantha's glance fell upon Nymeria, who stood on her own, over Lenrianda's grave, which she had dug all by herself. She hadn't spoken a word during this task and even before, he had only said some brief sentences, ever since she had seen Lenrianda's body. And since she had cut the life out of Rodrik Stone. The man had already been as good as dead when she found him, a mercy he hadn't deserved. The look in Nymeria's eyes, it had been pure hatred. It was the sort of hatred Samantha herself felt deep down, whenever she thought of the one that murdered her family. Mullendore...

“Sam”, Sasha said quietly and she noticed that she had clenched her fists to the point where they ached terribly. At last, tears had formed in her eyes, as she trembled, unable to stop thinking of the man that had taken the world from her. Yes, she knew how Nymeria must feel and Jaro.

As she glanced at Sasha, she saw concern in her eyes. “I'm fine”, she lied, before she shifted her attention to Jaro, unable to look into these dark blue eyes that saw right through her mask. She put a hand onto the man's shoulder and he let it rest there. She saw helpless anger on his face, something he had never shown before.

“I should have been there”, he gasped and his gaze hardened. “I could have been there” He looked at his brother's grave. “I told him to go to the tavern. He refused and my brother paid the price” Samantha raised her eyebrows. “John?”, she asked and Jaro nodded. To this, she sighed, as she put an arm around his shoulder. “He couldn't have prevented I'lian's death”, she assured him.

His glare hit her without warning. “Are you sure about that?”, he growled, with a tone that caused her own conviction to crumble. Was she sure about it? This was very much the question here, but one she couldn't even answer, not in good faith. She knew what he was going through right now.

“He is not to blame”, she answered, a more neutral one compared to what she wanted to say. “I know your pain. You want to lash out at someone, but John, he's not to blame. He has lost someone in this fight as well”

Jaro nodded slightly. “But Janae is not dead”, he replied and it was clear that he was more convince of this than Samantha herself was. Janae and Behara... to be honest, she had always expected the former to meet an end in battle sooner or later. She was a fighter and would go down fighting. It was something both of them had in common. Behara however, her loss hurt the most. I'lian had been a fighter, always laughing at the face of death. His death, while not inevitable, had been not unthinkable. The same applied to Janae. But Hara... she was innocence lost. She deserved better.

Of course, maybe they weren't dead yet. Tem was still out, chasing down a couple of track he had found. John was... to be honest, he was probably drinking himself to death, but a small part of Samantha still had the hopes he would do something useful to find out what happened to Janae and Behara. Not all hope was lost for them, even if Samantha herself couldn't find it in herself to hold out for anything there. She knew, she'd only be disappointed again.

“The gods must be truly cruel”, Jaro finally spoke, after both just stared at the freshly dug grave. “That they take one brother from me just moments after giving me back the one I thought dead” Samantha nodded silently. Gods... she had stopped believing in them many years ago. “John told me about your brother”, she said. “Did you know that he is the man that attacked us?”

Jaro shook his head. “You told me about this Bear”, he answered. “But I never knew him under that name. He was Akjen for me, before all this. Before I met you, or even John. He was my little brother before this” Samantha looked up, glad to finally have gotten him to talk. It was better than his silence. “Has he always been like this?”, she asked.

This time, Jaro was quiet for a moment. “Not always”, he said. “Our parents died early, you know, when Akjen was only three years old. I was the oldest, but still merely a child. And I was angry that they had left me with this task” He sighed. “I was an angry kid and an angry teen. This anger, it left its mark upon Akjen. I'lian, he coped with becoming this...” He paused and gasped, his voice becoming stained with tears, as a lump formed in his throat. “A wise-cracking, carefree man, so full of live...”, he whispered. “Akjen, he... he stayed angry. I grew out of it eventually, I calmed down. Akjen never did”

“So he became Bear”, Samantha concluded and Jaro gave her a nod. “He never liked his name. It came from his parents, those people that left him with nothing but anger and pain”, he confirmed. “He all but told me in our last conversation before he left, though he didn't call himself Bear back then”

“What happened between you?”, she asked, partially out of genuine interest and partially to get him to talk. He couldn't just stare at I'lian's grave. It hurt to see him like this. As annoyed as she had been with both brothers in the past, I'lian had been her friend and Jaro still was. She had to do something to help him.

“As I said, I calmed down”, Jaro replied. “I saw what my violence brought me. I'lian made me understand this...” Once again, he cut himself off and Samantha pulled him into a hug. Though towering a good head over her, he accepted it and rested his head on hers. “I knew I had to change my ways. While none of us had harmed an innocent, I saw that it would only be a matter of time. So I adopted a code. I swore an oath, not unlike the one a knight is supposed to swear”

“I suppose Akjen didn't like it”, Samantha mumbled and she felt how Jaro nodded. “He hated it”, he muttered. “He hated everything at that time. Maybe he still does. We got into an argument and it was the first time I truly realized how far my little brother had fallen. How much I failed him”

Samantha separated from him and gave him a stern look, as she rested her hands onto his shoulders. “You did not fail him”, she said. “Akjen became Bear because he chose to do. There's always a choice” Jaro gave her a crooked, sorrowful smirk, a pale imitation to the ones I'lian would have given in this situation. “He became Bear because I failed to raise him as my parents would have wanted”, he said. “All he cared for was strength, because in his childhood, all I cared for was strength. He craved for violence because that's what I taught him, when I myself didn't knew better”

“You didn't knew better”, Samantha said. “You have been a different person back then” Jaro sighed. “It doesn't excuse that I created this... beast that caused you such harm”, he replied bitterly. “Thinking back at all this, my younger years, it's a small wonder that I'lian turned out so...”

He stopped talking and shook her hands off at last. Closing his eyes, he turned back to the grave. “I am sorry, Sam”, he said in a thin tone, one that told her that he truly meant it. “I know you want to help and I appreciate it. But I want to be alone now. I want to say my goodbyes, something you are not meant to witness”

His stern tone was enough for Samantha to follow his order. She gave him a nod and with one last look at the place where I'lian had found his final rest, she turned to Sasha. Her friend had been silent throughout her talk with Jaro, but now she tilted her head sideways. “Are you okay?”, she asked and Samantha shook her head. “No”, she answered. “I haven't been okay for a long time, but on days like this, I cannot even fake it”

Sasha bit down onto her lower lip. “Do you want to talk about it?”, she asked and Samantha forced herself to give the other woman a shaky smile. “No”, she replied. “Not now” Her gaze fell upon Nymeria, who was still frozen in place, just staring at the grave of the woman that had been like family to her. Like a sister, or maybe more.

“Maybe I should talk to her though”, she said and noticed how Sasha frowned. “I doubt Nymeria wants company right now”, she replied and Samantha raised an eyebrow. “How do you know?”, she asked. Sasha carefully looked at the white-haired woman in the distance. “Because we're alike, she and me”, she answered. “I wanted to be alone back then”

“This is not good for her”, Samantha argued and Sasha shrugged. “This is her choice. She was helpless to save Lenrianda. At least leave it to her how to mourn her”, she answered, before she glanced over her shoulder. “Besides, I believe there is another matter you might want to address”

As she followed her glance, Samantha saw a newcomer under the shadows of a tree, watching them awkwardly. She had missed Davith during this funeral, his absence had been a surprise and she wondered just where he had been during these last few hours. As their eyes met, he raised a hand, winking her over. Yet at the same time, there was this image in her head, of Nymeria, all alone...

[Talk to Nymeria] [Talk to Davith]

• [Tell him that you will support him] Again, it is crucial that Jaron does not piss off Samuel, even if he is right or wrong. If this turns out okay, perhaps Samuel can let all of this go and become friends with other people. I think Samuel seemed to connect with Raenna and no one else, so I really don't want to see him die.

[Talk to Davith] Can't see the harm in catching up with an old friend. Actually, I'm rather interested to see how Sam and Davith would react if they knew Butterfly is very close to them.

Jaron Deciding between the possible threat of Lanford ruining their day and the very real threat of Samuel starting a fight, Jaron didn't

• edited May 2017

[Talk to Davith] Let's let Nymeria mourn in peace Lenrianda and discover some useful information

About the other choice I will not decide

RT:

• I really like this Jaron PoV!
    • Joshawa really steal the show for me in this part!
    • I'm curious,if Samuel will give his informations, how Hishi will decide to use them
    • At last Samuel is finally going to face his brother (while Jaron his vows),but why I start to believe that nothing will go as planned?
    • And today at Samantha PoV we give our last farewell to I'lian and Lenrianda
    • It was interesting read the connection between Jaro and Akjen
    • I have the feel that it won't be easy from Jaro forgive John for his decision in the previous chapter
    • For how Sasha speak to Samantha it seems that she had been in the same position that Nymeria is now
    • It seems that Davith will soon share that information that make him survive last chapter

Jaron Deciding between the possible threat of Lanford ruining their day and the very real threat of Samuel starting a fight, Jaron didn't

• [Tell him that you will support him]
    [Talk to Davith]

• Again, it is crucial that Jaron does not piss off Samuel, even if he is right or wrong. If this turns out okay, perhaps Samuel can let all of this go and become friends with other people. I think Samuel seemed to connect with Raenna and no one else, so I really don't want to see him die.

You're right, Raenna has been the only person he has truly bonded with over the course of the entire story so far. That said, the foundations for this have been laid by Ellena, after she accepted his apology in Chapter 5. That was the first time he actually even considered that there might be other ways to achieve his vengeance than to work for Butterfly. Without that choice, it is likely that he wouldn't have opened up to Raenna. Both instances there were important developments for him and with a bit of luck, this was only the beginning for him :)

Can't see the harm in catching up with an old friend. Actually, I'm rather interested to see how Sam and Davith would react if they knew Butterfly is very close to them.

They'd more than likely react very badly to his presence here. Right now, Samantha has no idea that he is so close to her, but given that he has basically taken control of Raylansfair, she's certainly going to learn about it in the near future.

[Tell him that you will support him] Again, it is crucial that Jaron does not piss off Samuel, even if he is right or wrong. If this turns o

• I really like this Jaron PoV!

Very glad to hear it! I wanted to make it a bit longer, but I ultimately felt like this choice there was very important for Jaron's development. But there should be a huge final part for Jaron coming in this chapter, even if it won't be the final part of the entire chapter. I cannot wait to write it down =)

Joshawa really steal the show for me in this part!

This is something I am also happy about. It was actually relatively spontaneous to have Joshawa as the one who defuses the situation here, but it felt natural for his character. After all, he is working for Hishi, so it made sense for him to take advantage of Samuel's rich knowledge here. It probably wasn't a very fair deal, as he gives only one piece of information in return, but Samuel surely did not care.

I'm curious,if Samuel will give his informations, how Hishi will decide to use them

One thing I can confirm is, Samuel has every intention of giving this information as he promised. He has always been a man of his word, especially since Joshawa held his end of the deal already by telling him where Ryder is currently located. And his knowledge is valuable. Hishi will likely be pleased an you can be assured there will be many opportunities to use it. Given that Hishi and the employees of the Thousand Shades of Flowers have quite a grudge against the Solvers for Keira's death, this likely won't go well for what remains of Butterfly's men.

At last Samuel is finally going to face his brother (while Jaron his vows),but why I start to believe that nothing will go as planned?

Ah, there is a lot you don't know yet, so I can understand why you feel as if something unexpected comes up. You still don't know Ryder's side of the story or what he has been up to in all these years and how the positive opinion Farris and even Joshawa have about him fits together with the utterly negative opinion Samuel has of his brother. And Jaron very much feels the same, as if something comes up that neither of them would have expected.

And today at Samantha PoV we give our last farewell to I'lian and Lenrianda

Aye, or to I'lian at least. Only Nymeria is currently mourning for Lenrianda, though I plan on giving her a more proper send-off as well. This part was very much focussing on Jaro and I'lian. While never being that much of a major character, I still hope that I'lian has left at least a bit of an impression and his death will surely have a lasting effect on the story.

It was interesting read the connection between Jaro and Akjen

And a very important one at that! Akjen is a character who has been in the story forever, but I only now get to actually do something with him beyond the typical scary, dangerous villain stuff. Though absolutely despicable, he is still a deep character and I hope to show more about that in Book 2. And his connection to Jaro is very much the most complex part about his personality, because as you have just learned, Jaro feels guilty for raising him into this dangerous killer he is currently.

I have the feel that it won't be easy from Jaro forgive John for his decision in the previous chapter

Your feel does not deceive you. Even though he knows that John is not to blame for I'lian's death, Jaro feels that it could have been prevented if the other choice would have been chosen. Of course, in that case Temari would have been pissed and he is far less rational and forgiving than Jaro. However, this will leave a lasting effect on how he sees his leader. That said, the real tragedy there is something only you as readers know. There was no way for John to save I'lian, as he was already dead by the time this choice came up. Jaro doesn't know that and it is unlikely he will ever realize it.

For how Sasha speak to Samantha it seems that she had been in the same position that Nymeria is now

This is something I can confirm. In fact, it is something that was already explained in the story. Since it is unlikely I will explain it in full in the story proper again (though it will be brought up to and alluded to again), I can give you a bit of a recap here, especially to avoid future confusion. In chapter 6, Sasha explained this to Samantha, at least in as much detail as she felt comfortable with. Growing up as an orphan, the only person important to her in her early life was another girl named Thalia. Together, they lived in a small hut in the wilderness, which proved fatal when a Dothraki scout stumbled upon them. A fight broke out and he murdered Thalia, though the wounds he suffered allowed Sasha to track him down and take her revenge on him later on. There is very much a similarity to Nymeria here, who also grew up as a loner and who only opened up to Lenrianda, before having her taken away in such a tragic and senseless way. So, she can understand how Nym feels here, because she has indeed been in exactly the same position.

It seems that Davith will soon share that information that make him survive last chapter

Actually, this information is unrelated to Samantha. I can reveal it now, the reason for him to survive the last chapter instead of I'lian has been that he is the only one in the entire city whom Brandon knows. Brandon has no connection to Samantha. However, Davith has to give an important piece of information to someone, which is a role no other character could fill. Of course, after making plans into this direction, I came up with even more stuff for him to do, so it's not as if he'll become unnecessary after giving this information. When it comes to Samantha, she probably doesn't need him to learn about Mullendore's presence in the city. This is something she absolutely will learn about very soon.

[Talk to Davith] Let's let Nymeria mourn in peace Lenrianda and discover some useful information About the other choice I will not decid

• [Try to convince him to avoid a fight] Time to make the decision as to whether or not Jaron is truly a knight, or just a fake who uses the title like Butterfly. I don't think Jaron would so easily give up his honor. The fact that so many people know about Samuel's story is really disconcerting. How long has Samuel been here, and how the fact that practically everyone we run into knows about them hasn't come up sooner?

[Talk to Davith]And I am still bummed that I'lian died. Fun guy I'lian would have been fun to have around. Now we have sulky Jaro with a grudge against John. I am still eager to found out what this information is that Davith has been saving this entire time. Maybe there was something hidden underneath the Hightower, like the Solver's hidden base where they make their monster men like Moggy. Or maybe some plans for the Ironborn invasion?

[Talk to Davith]

• edited May 2017

[Tell him that you will support him] God damn, this is a hard choice. On one hand I'd want Jaron to stay true to his knightly vows and values as much as possible in this environment, but at the same time not supporting Samuel here feels somehow... scummy. I mean, I wouldn't say they are friends, but still Jaron has given his word to help Samuel, and on top of that I feel like the chances to talk him out of this are pretty close to zero. Not supporting him now would just feel like a dick move. That said, pretty much everything seems to point at Ryder having redeemed himself as a person, which makes this choice just harder. Oh well, I'll just hope I won't regret this.

[Talk to Davith] I'm guessing Sasha is right here, Nym probably wants to be alone for now. Anyway, it was nice getting this info on the backstories of Jaro, I'lian and Akjen. Funnily enough, I now have more liking and interest for I'lian than I ever had when he was still alive :D I mean, he was a nice guy and I had nothing against him, but this backstory certainly brings depth to him. That said, it very much does the same for Jaro and Akjen/Bear, and I'm interested to see how exactly will their story continue from here.

• The fact that so many people know about Samuel's story is really disconcerting. How long has Samuel been here, and how the fact that practically everyone we run into knows about them hasn't come up sooner?

Well, he has been in Oldtown for years, so the reason for his stay is not entirely unknown. However, the ones knowing about his backstory are mostly the sort of people in specific positions. In this part for example, we have Joshawa and Lanford, both serve as Hishi's most important employees. Hishi meanwhile is the sort of person who has a high interest in such secrets, so Samuel's backstory isn't all that much of a mystery for some people.

And I am still bummed that I'lian died. Fun guy I'lian would have been fun to have around. Now we have sulky Jaro with a grudge against John.

I can understand that. Personally, I liked writing I'lian a lot. He was a bit of an easy-going and fun character, even if I feel like I underutilized him in the end and come to think of it, that is not exactly something FoT has too much of. Given the setting, most of the more easy-going characters end up horribly traumatized sooner or later :( That said, he won't be the last of his kind and I am sure you'll find characters that will remind you of I'lian in Book 2. Jaro meanwhile, I simply felt like he had more room for development there, so I decided to keep him around. He also has the more interesting connection to Bear, which is something I majorly plan to focus on in Book 2.

I am still eager to found out what this information is that Davith has been saving this entire time. Maybe there was something hidden underneath the Hightower, like the Solver's hidden base where they make their monster men like Moggy. Or maybe some plans for the Ironborn invasion?

Ah, those are some good guesses, that I'll say. Considering that it's Brandon who gave Davith this information, he surely might know some important stuff about what is going on with Mullendore's plans. And he certainly has an interest in making these plans public. That said, the truth might be far more simple ;) I can tell you that this is something Davith won't reveal in this chapter, but in the next one.

Bounden posted: »

[Try to convince him to avoid a fight] Time to make the decision as to whether or not Jaron is truly a knight, or just a fake who uses the t

• God damn, this is a hard choice. On one hand I'd want Jaron to stay true to his knightly vows and values as much as possible in this environment, but at the same time not supporting Samuel here feels somehow... scummy. I mean, I wouldn't say they are friends, but still Jaron has given his word to help Samuel, and on top of that I feel like the chances to talk him out of this are pretty close to zero. Not supporting him now would just feel like a dick move. That said, pretty much everything seems to point at Ryder having redeemed himself as a person, which makes this choice just harder. Oh well, I'll just hope I won't regret this.

I knew this would be a hard one for you =) It is an important decision for Jaron, this I can say. His ideals as a knight would command him to stop this attempted kinslaying, yet at the same time, he feels compelled to keep his word to a man that has seriously saved his ass. So, he is definitely torn there and has to decide which virtue he sees as more important. Surely enough, if he decides to try and stop Samuel here, he won't gain a new friend. In fact, Samuel will think of this as a dick move for sure. At the same time, there is the possibility that Ryder has redeemed himself, though how much redemption is truly possible after doing what Samuel accuses him of... this is probably something I'll leave up to you to decide for yourself. Same goes for the question if you'd regret this or not.

Anyway, it was nice getting this info on the backstories of Jaro, I'lian and Akjen. Funnily enough, I now have more liking and interest for I'lian than I ever had when he was still alive :D I mean, he was a nice guy and I had nothing against him, but this backstory certainly brings depth to him. That said, it very much does the same for Jaro and Akjen/Bear, and I'm interested to see how exactly will their story continue from here.

Ah, glad to hear I managed to gather some posthumous appreciation for I'lian! Now if I only could resurrect him :D True enough, there was depth to him, something I haven't been able to always show quite that much. The three brothers in general are complex characters and after the developments in this part, I will surely show more about it in Jaro's future appearances. Akjen meanwhile... well, he's not going to change all that much anytime soon, but through Jaro, I have means to show how he became this dangerous killer and maybe this will give you some understanding for him as a character (though certainly no sympathy).

[Tell him that you will support him] God damn, this is a hard choice. On one hand I'd want Jaron to stay true to his knightly vows and value

Although I don't want Samuel to kill Ryder, I fear that Samuel will completely lash out and leave Jaron out of the fight if the other option is chosen.

[Talk to Davith]

People need their space sometimes, best leave her be.

• edited May 2017

[Tell him that you will support him]

[Talk to Davith]

• [Try to convince him to avoid a fight] I really want to have Samuel's back but at the same time I don't want to throw away Jaron's morals. Hopefully Samuel can understand that this doesn't have to end in blood. He is still his brother and despite what Samuel says I don't know if he truly would be happy once he's dead.

[Talk to Nymeria] Davith getting friendzoned can wait. The way I see it, Nymeria is who really needs a talking to right now.

• [Tell him that you will support him] As WildlingKing said, it would be a dick move at this point to do something like that.

[Talk to Davith] Sasha apparently has experience in the matter, so I'll follow her wishes this time.

• edited May 2017

The Voting is closed!

Jaron is going to tell Samuel that he will support him

Samantha is going to talk to Davith

Well, the first choice was actually rather important for Jaron. Both were choices about morality and though Jaron is not going to give up on the one that wasn't chosen, it was a choice about priorities. He has serious doubts about Ryder's guilt and it remains to be seen if he can truly go through with killing him, but at the same time, he feels personal loyalty to Samuel due to giving him his word as a knight and feeling indebted. So, loyalty and being a man of his word, those aren't bad traits and he is going to value them. At the same time, as said above, he has these doubts and they won't just go away. Samantha's choice was a bit less consequential, because I can already reveal that she would have spoken to Davith sooner or later in either way. Now, she is going to respect Nymeria's privacy, for the better or worse, which might lead to a slightly shorter second part for her. Other than that, there will be some smaller consequences in the longer run.

The next part will be out today! I made some good progress, but unfortunately, I still cannot promise if it will include one PoV's or two. The one I am currently writing is a Drent PoV, in what is planned to be his penultimate in this chapter. Last time we saw him, we also saw the conclusion of Argella's confrontation with Mullendore. To say that things did not go her way would be an understatement, as things got outright violent. As much as I don't want to defend Mullendore, Argella hit first and probably more painful than he did, though she was the one that got floored after his punch. To add to the humiliation, the man that stepped in to save the day was none other Orys Baratheon, whom she earlier quite loudly rejected on the (not even officially confirmed) ground that he is a bastard. His angry reaction to these events was also one of the first clues that there is no alliance between House Targaryen and House Mullendore, at least not yet. In the end, Mullendore gave in, when faced with the very real chance of simply being cut down by the knight, though he insisted that every Durrandon and Targaryen and all of their followers had to leave Raylansfair by the next day. Anyways, Argella got taught an important lesson through Orys' rather selfless actions, though being her, she in turn reacted quite angry at how things went. That said, she still found the strength to give him at least some minor thanks and to invite Gordar Celtigar to a talk, which is probably going to include an apology for her role in his cousins death. She also revealed her plans to Drent on how she wishes to use this final day, namely by dealing with some lose ends. One such lose end is Ian Shortwood, the hedge knight with a grudge against Stormlanders and Drent was tasked with finding out if he poses a threat and why he hates the Stormlands so much. Remembering that Emphryus Dresfel recognized the man, Drent decided to seek him out. On the way there, he met Garen, who was informed about Drent's task and offered to assist him, in the hopes that this will redeem himself in Argella's eyes and ensure that he will continue to have steady work at Storm's End later on. Despite their personal rivalry, Drent agreed to give Garen this chance to prove his worth.

Also, I almost forgot to mention it, but there are seriously good news at last! My mother has gotten some much needed surgery yesterday and this has been the source of a lot of stress for me lately, because as you can probably imagine, spinal surgery for someone with severe scoliosis, who already received surgery at the same spot about forty years ago is not without risks. Actually, it was a very risky surgery, but it went perfectly fine as I have been told, she is conscious and currently recovering. I don't have more details for now, though I hope to speak to the surgeon today about what will come next. Similarly, my grandfather has been to the doctor, who told him that though the tumor he got removed in late April was a dangerous one, there is no need for a chemotherapy. So, it seems that things finally look up again. As shitty and stressful as this May has been (seriously, fuck May), it appears that it will end on a positive note at last. From here on, I doubt that there will be anything that can reasonably go wrong in the near future and I believe that things will finally start to get better :)

• Heyy! I'm just gonna drop the new set of drawings quickly before the next part :) Now, this set is a bit different from the usual, as all of these characters have been in the deceased category for a while. Still, they were certainly an interesting bunch to draw, and I hope you'll enjoy them!

enter image description here

• Yes, yes, this is great! It is always a pleasure to see new drawings and this time, it is especially interesting for me to see these characters who have been in the story so long ago and who sometimes haven't even gotten all that much to do before dying, so it is nice to see them getting some recognition at last. Hell, it feels odd to think that Halla's death scene has been written over two years ago :o Speaking of Halla, the first of these characters to die, but one who still left a bit of an impression, as I believe. Here's to everyone's least favourite bitter old woman and your amazing drawing of her! Next is a character who is actually my favourite of this bunch in terms of writing and also probably my favourite of them when it comes to the drawing, Septon Corbin... man, I haven't even realized what a massive jerk that guy was until recently. One thing is for sure, Mullendore would have had it much harder without him. I love that scarf he is wearing, probably one of my favourite pieces of clothing from your drawings. Alexander next is the character who had the least impact of these five, but I hope that nobody has completely forgotten about him. He is one of the few characters I have never truly imagined in my head, so this drawing is incredibly helpful with that. Robb meanwhile is the opposite, I have imagined how he looks so very, very often and well, this comes close to how I thought he looks. A word of warning, my dear readers, don't do drugs. That guy there has done them all and well, it's hard to believe, but he's actually only twenty years old. I know I have written only that he is a serious alcoholic, but the more I think about it, the more I believe that he has taken more than one stronger and more dangerous drug to look a good twenty years older than he truly is. George at last, I consider him to be the character out of these five that had the most impact, due to being featured in four chapters and being a loyal companion to Garthon during this time, which is more than the others, save for maybe Corvin, can say. He is also a character I haven't thought about all that much when it comes to how he looks, which is odd considering that I greatly enjoyed writing him. And I greatly enjoy your depiction of him here. He's amazing, this set is amazing and I cannot thank you enough for making these :)

Heyy! I'm just gonna drop the new set of drawings quickly before the next part Now, this set is a bit different from the usual, as all of t

• [Distract Lanford and Erik]

Back from my unintended break and voting despite it being closed as sort of marker for where I felt now. Let Samuel have his anger.

Jaron Jaron took a deep breath, as he met Farris' glare firmly. He had made his choice. This was a better way and it was worth the risk.

• [Head to the site immediately]

Continuing catching up old posts, shoot first ask questions later is why I vote this.

Arthur Softly, Arthur pulled Aditha closer into a hug. She sighed as she rested her head on his shoulder. The guard meanwhile raised an e

• Catching up, pretty good man.

Lord_EAA posted: »

He was unable to push her off as she continued to bite him and one of the royal guard, a captain by the name of Tedyn, grabbed her and manag

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited May 2017

[Stay and urge Vaasrand to tell you more]

Let the man talk. Love me some monster stories.

[Publicly command Tallian for bravery]

I don't know really what to vote for here but since it doesn't matter might as well lie.

Ilish It was baffling for Ilish how many people had nothing else on their mind but to drink themselves senseless after what had happened

• Welcome back InGen, it's great that you have returned! I think you haven't missed all that much this month, as I had to put a lot of attention and therefore free time onto the whole situation with my mother, my trips to the hospital and the paperwork surrounding her accident. But as she is finally recovering, so is my time management, so you've returned just in time for me to get back to my usual speed :)

[Distract Lanford and Erik] Back from my unintended break and voting despite it being closed as sort of marker for where I felt now. Let Samuel have his anger.

• Drent

“Fine, you can come with me”, Drent said, reluctantly. “Just don't make me regret this” Garen raised an eyebrow, followed by one of his obnoxious smirks. “Have I ever?”, he asked in return, a statement Drent chose not to give an answer to. Wordlessly, he started to move and Garen followed. And silently, he thanked the gods that the sellsword remained silent for the rest of the way.

They found Emphryus where Drent had last seen him, still lying on the bed he had been brought to, next to dozens of other wounded fighters. Having his eyes closed, the knight seemed as if he was sleeping, though as Drent approached, he slightly opened them, giving him a tired look. “Didn't take you long”, he sighed. “Can't I get some rest for once?”

“Apologies, Ser Emphryus. I'll try to make it quick”, Drent replied, as he sat down on the chair right next to the bed, whereas Garen took position behind him. The knight threw a dark glare at the sellsword, though a slightly confused look formed on his face just as well, surprise at this unlikely alliance that had formed there. He groaned, as he pushed himself up, almost into a sitting position, supporting his aching back by resting on his elbows. “What can I do for you?”, he asked.

Drent straightened his back. “Not long ago, you recognized a man here in Raylansfair, someone who calls himself Ian Shortwood”, he explained. “You haven't been willing to reveal more back then, but I can assure you, I have reason to believe that your suspicion from back then is justified”

Emphryus raised an eyebrow, though a frown quickly formed on his face. “So, you have met him?”, he asked and Drent gave him a nod. “Twice”, he answered. “I followed him one time and got knocked down pretty roughly. The second time, he offered to work with me, if I'd assist him to save some peasants during the raid. Doing so would have meant abandoning my post, so I refused”

At this, the knight sighed. “Respectable, yet foolish”, he growled, before he mustered Drent. “Golton, the man you have come to known as Ian Shortwood is probably one of the most dangerous men you could have run into. His behaviour proves to me that he is indeed the one I have feared him to be”

“He didn't seem all that dangerous to me”, Drent replied and Emphryus shook his head. “That's what makes him so deadly”, he answered. “He seems friendly, affable and easy to get along, but he's a distrustful, almost paranoid man behind that mask and one of the finest swordsmen I ever had the honour of sparring with”

His gaze got more steely. “His name is also not Ian Shortwood. He changed it, always thinking two steps ahead and he grew a beard, so I haven't recognized him immediately”, he continued. “But this man is none other than Derek Ward”

The name sounded distantly familiar, enough for Drent to look up with interest. It was one of the names he had heard before, but couldn't quite remember where. “A knight”, Emphryus explained. “At least that's what he used to be. We used to be squires at the same time, me under Baron Schodek, him under Tenard Torrick”

And finally, Drent remembered. Tenard Torrick used to be a knight at the court of the Storm King, previously the master-at-arms back when he just joined the army. A stern, stubborn man, honourable but without a hint of tactical understanding. His eyes widened. “Ward murdered Torrick”, he said and Emphryus gave him a nod. “It was during a skirmish in the marches. Tenard wanted to attack a dornish force head on, taking them in honourable combat. Ward refused to follow the order, so Tenard accused him of treason”

“I take it he did not react well”, Drent concluded and Emphryus sighed. “Cut him down. The man who knighted him”, he replied. “That's the person you are dealing with. Twice a traitor, on Tenard and on the king” He glanced around, suddenly looking older than he truly was, as his wounds became painful enough for him to sink onto his back again.

“Shouldn't he be dead then?”, Garen interjected. “Killing a knight of the Stormlands... I mean, that's nothing you walk away from” Emphryus shook his head. “Ward did”, he spoke. “King Argilac has been in a rare mood on that day. Gave him the choice, death or wall. Guess what that coward chose”

“So, he deserted the wall, grew himself a beard and took on another name”, Drent said. “But... why Raylansfair? What's in there to gain for a man like him?” Emphryus shrugged sluggishly, a gesture that clearly caused him some discomfort. “Derek Ward has never been an easy man”, he said. “I don't claim to understand him, or his reasons. All I need to know is that he is thrice a traitor, armed and dangerous. Always keep that in mind when you're near him”

Drent nodded. “I will”, he promised. “Thank you, Ser. At least I know whom I am going to deal with” Emphryus narrowed his eyes. “Do you intend to seek him out again?”, he asked, to which Drent nodded again. “Orders from the princess”, he answered. The knight sighed. “She shouldn't bother him”, he said. “A traitor he might be, but we have more dire concerns than him. Left alone, Ward won't pose a threat. But cross him and he is more than able to end you”

Before Drent was able to reply, Garen cut him off, a smirk on his face. “Don't be afraid about that”, he chuckled. “That's why I'm there. I don't fear a Night's Watch deserter” Emphryus' glare hit him heavily. “Ward is more than just a simple deserter. He outclasses you in every single way, sellsword”, he growled. “We're talking about a man that was born lower than either of you, who rose higher than either of you ever will. He became a knight not because of his name, but because of his raw talent” He put a hand onto his chest. “I could beat him, but trust me that both of you together would fail if he stops holding back”, he explained, before he glanced at Drent. “And whatever you do, Golton, don't pick a fight with this man”

Garen rolled his eyes, as he shrugged. “Whatever”, he replied. “It'll depend on him if we fight or not” He looked at Drent. “You coming, Drentie?”, he asked. Unlike the sellsword, Drent took Emphryus' warning quite seriously. “We'll see what comes out of it”, he said. “I promise, none of us will seek this fight”

This seemed to satisfy Emphryus, who nodded in a tired way. “Good”, he said, before his expression darkened. “Golton, what... what happened in the Great Hall? I only heard some rumours... is the princess safe?” To calm the knight down, Drent instantly nodded. “She underestimated the new man in charge”, he said. “We all did. We would have fought for her, but I think this time, she bit off more than she can chew. But she is alive. Baratheon saved her”

The knight raised an eyebrow. “Orys Baratheon?”, he said. “Why would he do such a thing?” Drent had no answer to this, but a shrug. “Some men are strange”, he replied. “Ser Orys, he's probably the strangest of them all. Have you ever seen a true knight?”

Emphryus let out a hoarsy chuckle. “I'm not taking that personally”, he assured him, as his chuckle turned into a weak cough before fully dying down. Drent's expression grew serious as well. “We have to leave the city soon”, he told him. “Do you think you can move?”

After a moment of consideration, Emphryus shook his head. “Not very far”, he answered. “But we'll think of something. If we have to leave this city, we have to leave. Just make sure the princess leaves as well, with or without her new knight” The mention of this new knight caused a frown to appear on Drent's face and he was quick to nod. “I swear it”, he promised.

Emphryus smiled thinly. “I believe you”, he said. “Now go and find Ward. Be cautious and you might survive such an encounter. Would be a shame to lose another fine soldier today” With these words, the closest thing to a compliment Drent had ever heard him saying, he sunk back onto his bed, closing his eyes in the attempt to relax a bit.

Drent and Garen left him, as they walked through the hallways of the castle again and out into the courtyard. Even now, helpers were busy with removing the corpses and cleaning everything up, a morbid, yet sadly necessary action. With a sigh, his gaze fell upon the cart that was reserved for the fallen soldiers of the Stormlands. It had been left near the gates, a large blanket spread over it, yet it held the corpses of a dozen brave men, who had given everything for a city that would never be theirs. Who had come here, following lies and false promises.

“Did you know it”, he asked, all of a sudden, as Garen looked at him. “Know what?”, the sellsword replied and Drent shot him a glare as they walked past the corpse cart and through the gates. “About Tariel's deception”, he explained.

Garen moved his stare away from Drent, know facing the path directly in front of him. Finally, he shook his head. “No”, he answered. “I had the feeling that something was off about this whole situation, but Tariel never told me anything. We share a bed, not our secrets” He was silent for a moment, before he clenched his fists. “If she would have told me, I wouldn't have told you, if that's what you're aiming for”

“You admit it?”, Drent asked and Garen flashed him a grin. “Admit to what?”, he asked in return. “That I wouldn't rat out this gorgeous woman that's fallen head over heels for me?” His grin got a sly streak. “I'd be the most stupid bastard that ever lived, wouldn't I?”, he chuckled. “Don't get me wrong, she can be annoying, but she's got a body to kill for” He shook his head. “So, no, I haven't known a thing about her schemes, but if you hope to turn me against her, well, that won't work”

Once again, they continued in silence, walking down to the city, while Drent thought about the place where he had last seen Ian Shortwood. Or Derek Ward, more precisely. It was near the gates. He wanted to protect innocent people. He was a murderer, a deserter, an oathbreaker and he wanted to protect innocent people.

“Unless of course you're paying me handsomely for it”, Garen finally spoke up again and Drent looked up, raising an eyebrow. “Excuse me?”, he asked and Garen rolled his eyes. “Spying on Tariel, I mean”, he answered. “Thinking about it, that woman's getting way too clingy lately. There's a pretty girl in every brothel in this entire world. Give me enough to compensate for the... lack of entertainment I'd suffer and I would find out just about everything there is to know about her”

“You'd do that?”, Drent asked, uncertain if he should be intrigued or disgusted by this opportunity. He quickly decided on the latter. As much as it would benefit him and especially Argella to know about Tariel's secrets, the woman clearly harboured feelings for Garen. It was unsettling how quickly he was willing to cast that aside for just some coin.

“Sellsword”, Garen replied. “In my line of work, you cannot afford feelings. I like being with Tariel, but if turning on her gives me a better offer... well, I'm all ears” Drent sighed, before he shook his head. “I cannot decide this on my own”, he answered, knowing fully well how Argella would reply to such a move. Or did he?

This was a neutral answer, yet it seemed enough for Garen, who smirked in a satisfied way. “Fine then”, he said. “If you want her secrets, just approach me. Make the deal with your princess if you must. I'll be waiting” He looked back at the road and by now, they had exchanged the broad road that led from the castle to the city in favour of narrow alleyways, which they followed quickly. Garen knew where they were going, or maybe he just didn't care, but not even once during this journey did he ask for their destination.

It was only when they reached the area around the gate that the sellsword spoke up again. “Do you think he's still here?”, he asked and Drent nodded. “I hope so at least”, he said. Garen sighed. “If I'd be this Shortwood... Ward guy, whatever his name is right now, I would have left the city by now”, he argued.

“He hasn't left when we arrived”, Drent answered. “Nor when I faced him near the tavern. I doubt he will leave now, after the raid. Whatever is going to here, he clearly doesn't want to leave” With these words, he moved his hands to his mouth, forming a funnel with them, as he began to yell, now standing right at the spot where he had last seen him. Shortwood had saved his life, as he just realized. Without him, the Ironborn would have overpowered him. The knight had saved his life and in return, Drent had left him alone. “SHORTWOOD!”, he yelled. “IAN SHORTWOOD! We must speak”

Nothing happened and for a couple of long, aggravating moments, Drent felt surprisingly anxious. What if he wouldn't appear? They'd never get the clarity. Had he perished in the raid? Had he left? Or was he still out there in hiding, potentially a danger? This was what they had to find out.

Thankfully, the situation cleared up surprisingly quickly. Just as he wanted to call again, Drent heard footsteps from behind the corner, quite heavy ones and just then, Ian Shortwood stepped around. He was clearly tired, exhausted even, but there was still strength in his stride. Clad in chainmail, every step he took made a sound, yet none so steely as the glare which he seemed to have reserved particularly for Drent. A hand hovering above the hilt of his sword he remained there, standing a good ten feet away from the two men, mustering them carefully. “You again”, he growled and there was not the slightest bit of warmth in his voice.

“We must talk”, Drent was quick to say, before Garen could answer anything that would make things harder for them. After how sternly Emphryus just warned him, picking a fight with Shortwood was the last thing he wanted, at least if it could be avoided.

Quickly, the knight shook his head. “I don't think so”, he growled, as he turned around at once, nonchalantly walking around the corner and out of Drent's field of view again. The two men exchanged a look and to Drent's concern, Garen already reached for his sword, as they both dashed after him.

They quickly caught up to Shortwood in front of a small building. It had been looted, the doors smashed, the interior ruined. The corpses of its former inhabitants were scattered across the floor and Shortwood stared at them, his gloved fist trembling with anger. It was there that Drent noticed that not all of these corpses were smallfolk. There were quite a number of dead men clad in the boiled, black leather of the Ironborn.

“These people helped me when I arrived in the city”, Shortwood explained, his voice shaking with anger and grief. “They were good people and when the fighting started, I wanted to protect them” He shook his head. “Some of them still live, but just as many were cut down during the fight” And finally, his glare hit Drent, with an intensity that was numbing. “You could have saved them. You could have helped me”

Drent sighed as he looked at the corpses of the dead men and women. He remembered Shortwood's plea and how disappointed the man had seemed as he refused him. “It would have meant leaving my post”, he stated. “I had my duties”

Shortwood raised an eyebrow. “Duties”, he spat. “A coward's excuse. I don't know what I expected from a man like you, but... Seven, you're not even feeling guilty, do you?” To this, Drent shook his head. “I feel guilty”, he clarified and it was the truth. Just seeing these people here, it filled him with sadness, shame even, but at the same time, there was nothing he could do about it. He had his duties and he had chosen to follow them, as any good soldier would do.

“But not enough to make it the only reason to come here”, Shortwood concluded. “You soldiers are all the same in the end. Self-righteous whoresons” As he glanced at Garen, the sellsword gave him an enthusiastic nod. “Not a soldier here”, he explained. “I'm just here to kick your ass if you make any trouble”

A surprised look flashed over Shortwood's face, as he grabbed his sword,without drawing it yet. Drent narrowed his eyes at Garen, before he turned his attention back at the knight. “We know what happened, Shortwood”, he explained. “Or should I say... Derek Ward?”

If the knight was scared at his true identity having been discovered, he hid this very well. However, he was clearly surprised, though this didn't help over the anger that was still visible on his face. “You know nothing”, he spat. “Derek Ward is dead”

“So, that's not you?”, Garen asked. “Some upstart knight, murdering his commanding officer for giving stupid orders. Deserting the wall later on... doesn't ring a bell?” Shortwood sighed. “It does”, he revealed. “But the man that did all this, I have left him behind. There is no Derek Ward anymore. I have a new name and I chose it on purpose. For what it's worth, I am no one but Ian Shortwood”

“Protector of widows and orphans”, Garen spat in a mocking tone and Drent shot him a glare. “Garen!”, he hissed, before trying to regain control over this conversation. “You are not even trying to lie to me?”, he asked and the knight shook his head. “What good would this bring?”, he asked. “You have uncovered my secret. Did Emphryus tell you?”

Drent nodded and Shortwood sighed. “There's no enemy as bitter as a former friend”, he sighed. “Surely he told you that I murdered my commanding officer, the man that knighted me” At Drent's confirmation, the anger in his eyes flared up even stronger.

“Did he also tell you that Tenard was as good as dead already? Took an arrow to the chest. Could barely breath by the time he gave the order”, the knight began to explained. “He was going to die and with his last breath, he gave a stupid, suicidal order that would have claimed many lives. I... sped up the process for him and saved my men. And for that, I got banished to the wall”

“You got banished for breaking an oath”, Drent insisted. “Wrong or not, the order came from your superior officer. You betrayed him, you betrayed your king. Even the Night's Watch...” To his surprise, Shortwood didn't even try to deflect the accusations. “Yes, I did. I murdered. I lied. I broke every oath I ever gave in my life. I abandoned my family. I betrayed the man that knighted me. I disappointed my king. I defected from the Night's Watch. I did all of this when I have been Derek Ward. But not anymore”

His little speech caused Drent to tilt his head sideways, ever so slightly. “So, you claim to be a new man?”, he asked and Shortwood grinned joylessly. “Maybe not a new man. But I wish for a new beginning. Another chance”, he explained. “I have heard of Raylanfair and their struggles. Where if not here could they have need for a man like me? Where if not here could I find the chance I seek?”

“You have been banished to the Wall”, Drent insisted and this time it was Garen who shot him a glare. He did not care. “King Argilac has chosen this as your punishment and yet you deserted. Do you believe I can just let you go?”

Shortwood shook his head, drawing the first few inches of his sword out of the scabbard. “I don't expect anything from you, drone”, he growled. “But maybe you surprise me” Looking from Drent to Garen, the latter of which seemed visibly hungry for a fight, he finally drew his sword. “If you want to try and take this chance away from me, I will give you the beating of your lifetime. I probably won't kill you, too much trouble, but I will hurt you a lot”

“And if I don't want to fight?”, Drent asked and Shortwood smiled, an almost affable smile. “In that case, you will tell Emphryus or your princess that I have left the city. Of course, I will stay here, while you and your companions leave instead. Nobody will search for me anymore, leaving me free to turn my life around. It's the only other way this can end” He gave him a nod. “Your choice, soldier”

[Fight Ian Shortwood] [Let him go]

• edited May 2017

Cool, good luck and thank you :).

Catching up, pretty good man.

• After a good week of reading, I was finally able to caught up to recent events... I gotta say, this left me with mixed feelings. In one hand I'm glad to finally be able to vote and read the story as it comes out, on the other hand I'm kinda sad that I won't be able to read this amazing story nonstop like I had been doing this past week. I wish I had been a little bit quicker at reading though, just so I could've tried to influence Lucas' choice, I feel like after everything he's been through, giving in to Mullendore's plan now will crush everything he fought for. I'm also very curious about Alys story, I'm kind of hoping she'll cross ways with a certain dornishman at some point... that is, if Anturion is actually telling her the truth.

Now as for the choice, I'll be going with [Fight Ian Shortwood] After what Emphryus told Drent I feel like Shortwoods' sob story is just a ruse, Emphryus did say that what made Shortwood deadly was precisely how he didn't seem dangerous.

• [Let him go]

Drent “Fine, you can come with me”, Drent said, reluctantly. “Just don't make me regret this” Garen raised an eyebrow, followed by one of

• [Fight Ian Shortwood] Well,it is probably not the wise decision of the two but it is for sure more entertaining and a much enjoyable way to end Drent storyline for this book! (And if I must be honest I don't trust Ian to leave him alone in the city)

RT:

• I'm surprised that we already discover Ian backstory! That man has a really long list of betrayals!
    • Wait a second,Emphyrius was a squire to Baron Schoedek?That man must be ancient!
    • Oh Garen,you are such a foul-mouthed snake ready to betray for some money!What will be the Drent PoV without you?
    • I found weird hear Emphiryus that Drent make a mistake to not follow Ward,Drent should have remember the knight that he protect the princess (and he should have said the same thing to Ian,despite the "knight" had a much logical reason to complain)
    • Something that I found really funny is that yell Ian name in the middle of the city worked

Drent “Fine, you can come with me”, Drent said, reluctantly. “Just don't make me regret this” Garen raised an eyebrow, followed by one of

• [Let him go]

Sign in to comment in this discussion.