Soundtrack

edited April 2010 in Sam & Max
Jared Emerson-Johnson's jazz pieces are unbelievable in these games. As a musician (Piano, Guitar, Trumpet, Tuba, Fluglehorn, and Euphonium usually) I would like to play them with my friends. Is there any way to get sheet music of his songs?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Strong Max wrote: »
    Jared Emerson-Johnson's jazz pieces are unbelievable in these games. As a musician (Piano, Guitar, Trumpet, Tuba, Fluglehorn, and Euphonium usually) I would like to play them with my friends. Is there any way to get sheet music of his songs?

I seriously wish there was. But in one thread, a long time ago, someone posted their composition of "The Office" for piano. I'm learning it now. Are you any good at composition? If so, World of Max? Maybe? I'm desperate...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    I talked to Jared and it sounds like it may be possible to get you the Sibelius file with arranged parts for about half the instruments (all the live instruments in a track get sheet music arranged, everything else stays in midi land and doesn't have prepared parts or notation) or chord charts, for a tune. Any track(s) in particular you had in mind?
  • edited March 2010
    For anyone that cares. I know the basic chords to "You Me and Ted E Bear"

Intro (single notes)

C, C#, D / G, A, B, C x2

C, C#, D / D, C, B, A, G (let the G ring)

Verse

C, G7 x2 / F, G

Chorus ("No mafia no")

Am, AmM7, Am7, Am6 x2 / F, G

Outro's the same as intro. Also for guitar players, and anyone who is (rightfully) second guessing my chord naming, here's the shapes and individual notes for the "funnier" chords

G7

1 F
    0 B
    0 G
    0 D
    x x
    3 G

Am (i use an Am minor higher up the neck for this part)

5 A
    5 E
    5 C
    7 A
    0 A
    x x

AmM7

5 A
    5 E
    5 C
    6 Ab
    0 A
    x x

Am7

5 A
    5 E
    5 C
    5 G
    0 A
    x x

Am6

5 A
    5 E
    5 C
    4 F#
    0 A
    x x

When i'm playing the outro I play it in open chords, for the C# I just drag the standard C shape up a fret leaving all the same strings open as normal, it's actually a really good fit if I say so myself.

so it's

C#

0 E
    2 C#
    0 D
    3 F
    4 C#
    x x

Whew, long post, and all before 9am :)
    Jake wrote: »
    Any track(s) in particular you had in mind?

I'd love "WAR" myself if that's an offer ;) I'm too lazy shit to figure out all the different parts
  • edited March 2010
    I talked to Jared and it sounds like it may be possible to get you the Sibelius file with arranged parts for about half the instruments (all the live instruments in a track get sheet music arranged, everything else stays in midi land and doesn't have prepared parts or notation) or chord charts, for a tune. Any track(s) in particular you had in mind?

Oh my god! :eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Maybe World of Max for Piano and the same for Freelance Panic? I know World of Max definately has a major piano part, so, if you could speak to him about this... :D:D:D:D:D:D I'd be eternally grateful. If I lived near Telltale, I'd probably offer to become your (regular
    eg. non-sex
    ) slave for a week!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I reckon you guys would make a killing with a downloadable sheet music section in your store. Oh, and maybe Handle My Style & Handle My Style Reprise? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I'm demanding and using smilies a bit much now, aren't I?
  • edited March 2010
    JedExodus wrote: »
    I'd love "WAR" myself if that's an offer ;) I'm too lazy shit to figure out all the different parts

Yes, Good for You (Good for Me) too please! {*ashamed*}{*blushes*}

And tell Jared I think he's awesome!

Ooh! What about the music from the Season 3 trailer!
  • edited March 2010
    If so, World of Max? Maybe? I'm desperate...

It starts in A# if that helps it's like

A# "stick a fork in"

Dm "open wide"

Gm "everyone is"

F# "max inside"

But then I got a bit fed up and had a sandwich, i'll work on it later, or if anyone knows then fire it up here
  • edited March 2010
    Twilight Eternal and Cogs in Motion?
  • edited March 2010
    JedExodus wrote: »
    It starts in A# if that helps it's like

A# "stick a fork in"

Dm "open wide"

Gm "everyone is"

F# "max inside"

But then I got a bit fed up and had a sandwich, i'll work on it later, or if anyone knows then fire it up here

Well, I kind of want to play with BOTH hands, not just chords :D but thanks anyway.
  • edited March 2010
    ... :eek::eek::eek:

Please tell me I'm not crazy, and explain what's going on: I'm not recognising any of the notes you guys are listing :eek: And how do you show them with letters rather than the, er... thing with lines and notes? (unsure of the name in English).
  • edited March 2010
    Avistew wrote: »

Please tell me I'm not crazy, and explain what's going on: I'm not recognising any of the notes you guys are listing :eek: And how do you show them with letters rather than the, er... thing with lines and notes? (unsure of the name in English).

You mean without the notes on a stave? I'm pretty sure he's talking about playing it on the guitar, because he's just talking about chords (i think). That's it!
  • edited March 2010

Please tell me I'm not crazy, and explain what's going on: I'm not recognising any of the notes you guys are listing :eek:
    JedExodus was listing chords, not individual notes.
    And how do you show them with letters rather than the, er... thing with lines and notes? (unsure of the name in English).
    Do you mean the stave/staff?

Aw, too slow. Oh well.
  • edited March 2010
    Yes, thanks, stave/staff. Although that wikipedia page is weird, it keeps listing the alphabet.

So each specific set of notes has a "code" for it? That's... I don't know if that's neat or freaky. So how do you know if the chords are with a Sol key of a Fa key? (or ut I guess), is it part of the code or is it noted in another way?

(Just let me get this straight, because my musical years are far behind me. A chord is the set of four times (four blacks, or one round, or two whites, etc), or is it something different altogether? I don't understand the wikipedia article at all).
  • edited March 2010
    A chord is a combination of more than 1 different note played simultaneously by the same hand. what's a "Sol" key?
  • edited March 2010
    It's the sign at the beginning of a stave, well one of them.

... You have different names for the notes, don't you?

Do, Ré, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, Si, Do.

Sol is on the second line from the bottom.
  • edited March 2010
    It's the sign at the beginning of a stave, well one of them.

... You have different names for the notes, don't you?

Do, Ré, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, Si, Do.

Sol is on the second line from the bottom.

Do = C, Re = D, Mi = E, Fa = F, So = G (no l!), La = A, Si = B, and Do means your on the C note an octave above the initial Do(c).
  • edited March 2010
    A chord is a combination of more than 1 different note played simultaneously by the same hand. what's a "Sol" key?

Oh, and I think I see what you mean now. I've only seen that as drawn, with a representation of the cords (the strings, I mean, not the chords) and stuff on it to show which you played.
    Do = C, Re = D, Mi = E, Fa = F, So = G (no l!), La = A, Si = B, and Do means your on the C note an octave above the initial Do(c).

It could be okay (for me to convert it) that it's alphabetical, if it started with A. Although I guess starting at La does make sense.

Why did you say "no l"?
  • edited March 2010
    Because the pitch is "So" not "Sol". It sounds like "Sol" because "La" comes after it and you don't pause between the two pitches. It starts with C because that is the middle key on a piano. It just works like that.
  • edited March 2010
    No, it's definitely Sol (in French at least): http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Note_de_musique

Do you guys still have what we call "tablature" for guitars? It's similar to staves but for course with 6 lines since it represents the guitar strings.

EDIT: obviously, it's not just French: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/UtQueantLaxis-Arezzo.svg

(Ut is the old name for Do/C)
  • edited March 2010
    I'm pretty sure music is universal, so yes.

And, wow, the french wikipedia is so much simpler than the english one. Its like a mid point between the english wikipedia and the simple english wikipedia. But in French!

Just look!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Note

Nowhere does it even say anything about deremifasolatido at all!
  • edited March 2010
    It says "other names are used in the table below" and sure enough, in the table it lists a crapload of them. Does list Sol as the "main" one and So as a "variant" for Southern and Eastern European names.
  • edited March 2010
    you... you have beaten me. I fails!
  • edited March 2010
    Well, I kind of want to play with BOTH hands, not just chords :D but thanks anyway.

Well it's just arpeggios of the chords in the verses anyway, so noodle about with it and see what ye get
  • edited March 2010

Oh, thank you! If it would be at all possible, The Office, Roy G. Biv, Rapa Nui Choo Choo, and World of Max would be awesome. On piano and trumpet is best whenever possible.
  • edited March 2010
    Oh, thank you! If it would be at all possible, The Office, Roy G. Biv, Rapa Nui Choo Choo, and World of Max would be awesome. On piano and trumpet is best whenever possible.

The Office for piano is here. You've already seen this, have you not? And you have also asked for it for the trumpet, and this person did it. Lucky you! That's one of your four done for both instruments! I love how The Office sounds when I'm playing it!
  • edited March 2010
    About the "weird" notation, it's just that it seems many countries don't use the notes' names (do re mi etc...) and use letters instead, as it's been said. It sure is confusing, especially since A is La instead of Do (but somehow, Do or C major still remains the most basic scale that is taught before anything else).

Once you're used to it, though, it's just simpler and quicker to just type the chords letters than to type a whole tablature or write it all in standart notation (which many self taught musicians, especially guitar players, don't even bother to learn anyway). It's less precise, since all of those chords could be played in several different ways, but as far as the basic progression is concerned, it doesn't matter : an A chord will always sound like an A chord, no matter how you play it . Actually, many players only use those kind of charts when playing together, and decide how exactly they'll play it about it as the song goes.

As far as knowing what key the song is in, this only really matter when you want to improvise over the tune or analyse what's going on (if you just play the basic chords, it'll work even if you don't have any idea what you're doing or why it works), and whith some knowledge of harmony it's still pretty easy to find out. The Ted E Bear song that jedi posted, for instance, is definitely in C Major. You can tell by the actual chords used in it (C F and G7 = instant C Major). So no, you still don't NEED standard notation to know this (although it's often clearer on those). Also, even though they're called "clefs" in french (and i have no idea how this translates in english), the Sol and Fa symbols actually don't tell you anything about the actual key (or tonalité), they're just there to make it easier to read : The notes a bass would play, for instance, are so low that if you were writing them in a "clef de sol" sheet, you would have to add several lines UNDER the basic five, and that'd be quite a mess to read. Hence, the "clef de fa" notation, which allows you to put them in a "normal", easier to read place.

But yeah, even though that way of noting chords and stuff, is basically much simpler, it takes some time getting used to if you're coming from a classical ("real partitions" and stuff) background. It pretty much ignores the standard ways and can get confusing, but on the other hand, it allows you to just play the stuff you like without having to learn a crapload of boring stuff, without preventing you to study theory later on if you wanna understand how it all works.

Hope that clears some things up ;)
  • edited March 2010
    The Office (..) for it for the trumpet, and this person did it. Lucky you!

Requested file do not exist! :S
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010

You'd probably not be getting "trumpet and piano." What I can get most easily is literally the sheet music that went out to musicians for live recording, which would be trumpet, (2 or 3) saxophones, sometimes clarinet, sometimes trombone, and the general chord charts. Most of the other instruments exist only in a Digital Performer file as midi, without cleaned up sheet music.
  • edited March 2010
    Most of the other instruments exist only in a Digital Performer file as midi, without cleaned up sheet music.

Midi's are great though, you can run em through programs that transcribe em automatically for you without having to fish around trying to find a particular note or chord for five minutes :D
  • edited March 2010
    Astro: thanks!

I had compulsory music classes in school (from primary to high school) and we learned it all the "classic" way, and it was boooring.
    Then we'd have dictations as exams, I hated these. The teacher played something on the piano and we had to write it down on the stave. I failed so hard at these.

I like music, but I never could get into it because every instrument class I saw started with a year of to of "solfège", which is when you don't get to play anything and you learn the notations and what they stand for and stuff, and the rules... The boring theory if you will.
    I'd much rather learn to play directly and then learn how to write it down. You don't learn a language by writing it before you speak it >.>

So, as must be pretty obvious, I'm hopeless about all that stuff. Which is a shame. I can't play any instrument and I can't sing, either (well I guess voice is an instrument too).

But as with everything I'm interested in, it takes a lot of time and effort and I'm not the kind to dedicate myself fully to a single thing. I get bored so fast.
  • edited March 2010
    You'd probably not be getting "trumpet and piano." What I can get most easily is literally the sheet music that went out to musicians for live recording, which would be trumpet, (2 or 3) saxophones, sometimes clarinet, sometimes trombone, and the general chord charts. Most of the other instruments exist only in a Digital Performer file as midi, without cleaned up sheet music.

that would still be awesome
  • edited March 2010
    So, wait, we're getting a midi of whatever it is or the music of whatever it is, depending on whether it was performed by a computer or a musician? {brain overload}
  • edited March 2010
    Astro: thanks!

I had compulsory music classes in school (from primary to high school) and we learned it all the "classic" way, and it was boooring.
    Then we'd have dictations as exams, I hated these. The teacher played something on the piano and we had to write it down on the stave. I failed so hard at these.

I like music, but I never could get into it because every instrument class I saw started with a year of to of "solfège", which is when you don't get to play anything and you learn the notations and what they stand for and stuff, and the rules... The boring theory if you will.
    I'd much rather learn to play directly and then learn how to write it down. You don't learn a language by writing it before you speak it >.>

So, as must be pretty obvious, I'm hopeless about all that stuff. Which is a shame. I can't play any instrument and I can't sing, either (well I guess voice is an instrument too).

But as with everything I'm interested in, it takes a lot of time and effort and I'm not the kind to dedicate myself fully to a single thing. I get bored so fast.

Yeah, i dunno if it's the same everywhere, but in france music is often taught the boring way. I remember friends of mine, when i was maybe 5 or 6 years old, who went to music schools, and they didn't even chose an instruments until they were maybe 8 or 9. I don't even want to know what the hell they'd been doing in the meantime. When i picked up guitar, friends of mine did too, at those same music schools, and they spent like a whole year just picking open strings while saying the string's name... Nothing but right hand exercises like that. Not exactly what i'd call rock n roll...
    People who follow those classes to the end often end up really good, but you really have to put up with A LOT of uber boring stuff.
    The real shame (i think) is that some of them end up being quite good technically, but they're completely clueless when it comes to well, just play. Knew a girl who could play piano really well, but she wasn't able to play along a few simple chords, unless she'd have a sheet telling her just what to do (and since we couldn't write that down for her, she was pretty much useless in a band context).

I don't understand why they don't start by getting the kids to actually play some simple stuff. Once you've had fun while playing, it's easier to get involved into the whole theory thing, and it all makes a lot more sense.
    By boring you to death with all the scary stuff right from the start, they pretty much disgust you of it (either of just the theory or of playing music altogether). And it's a shame, cause once you can actually make some sense out of it, it's really not that boring, but still, a lot of my friends who still play don't even want to hear about even the simplest stuff.

Just be a punk. Grab a guitar, bang on it at random and make some noise. that's how everyone should start. THEN you can start and pretend you're an artist, sit down and figure out what made the noise cool :D
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, i dunno if it's the same everywhere, but in france music is often taught the boring way...

Just be a punk. Grab a guitar, bang on it at random and make some noise. that's how everyone should start. THEN you can start and pretend you're an artist, sit down and figure out what made the noise cool :D

Yes, I couldn't agree more. Our music teachers in school were pretty awful, they treated anyone who didn't persevere with all the theory with contempt pretty much, as soon as I could drop music I did, then I picked up a guitar.

I started off just learning punk songs churning away at NOFX and Bad Religion songs and over the years learnt a hell of a lot and became a half-decent musician.

Still as much as I love playing more elegant music, sometimes ye can't beat busting out a few power chords or some twelve bar blues :D
  • edited March 2010
    wow, actual chords ? bars ?
    That's way too technical :eek:

I mostly just use the guitar as a drumstick when i want to let off some steam.
  • edited March 2010
    wow, actual chords ? bars ?
    That's way too technical :eek:

I mostly just use the guitar as a drumstick when i want to let off some steam.

This
  • edited April 2010
    Any news, Jake?
  • edited April 2010
    Any news, Jake?

Yes, any?
  • 4 years and 2 months later.... I want the sheet music for Cogs in Motion. :P I'd need the saxaphone and other instrument sheet music, and then combine them.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.