Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• [Leave her to die alone] Nah, fuck her. She killed my boy Jax, she fucked up my girl Argella's chances for Raylansfair. She can die there, alone. I feel a little coldhearted, but I take that. This is kind of Georgie Porgie, leave or stay, kind of.

Well, to sum it all up.. Still. Fuck. Sherryl.

Arthur It was only a fleeting though, one Arthur quickly discarded. “Forget about the bootprints”, he said. “The blood is more likely to

• [Stay with her] God damn it Sherryl, as much as I hate you, I can't vote for Arthur to leave her like that. It goes against his honor as a man and as a solider who has fullfiled his duty. It makes sense for Arthur to stay with her, even if she's the enemy. Don't let them die alone, no matter how evil or misguided.

Arthur It was only a fleeting though, one Arthur quickly discarded. “Forget about the bootprints”, he said. “The blood is more likely to

• [Stay with her]

Didn't expect this will happen. Still, someone should be there for her, especially after the confession.

• And Oakheart? I'd like to hear more about this character in the future.

Aye, you certainly will! There has been one previous mention of Oakheart, as Petyr's youngest sister is supposed to marry Edwin, son and heir of Lord Oakheart. The Oakheart's will play a pretty important role in Book 2 and you will get to meet them at some point in it. For now, House Oakheart is probably the strongest ally Mullendore has in his plans, as they are among the principal Gardener bannermen, probably one of the four strongest families in the entire Reach. That be said, their involvement in Book 2 should be quite interesting, to say the least.

StarKing789 posted: »

[Stay with her] A fool indeed, but no one like her deserves to die alone in a cold, dark warehouse. At least she felt regret at the end. And Oakheart? I'd like to hear more about this character in the future.

• Welcome back, Ben! It's great that you have returned, maybe even in full soon enough. I look forward for it :)

[Leave her to die alone] Haven't been active for a while. I should be back soon though.

• Well... it seems that right before the end of Book 1, we have reached yet another milestone, as this current voting saw the 10000th comment of the thread, woohooo! I knew for a while that it would eventually happen, but still, I think 10000 comments, that is something I am quite proud of, especially as I never thought this story would ever become that insanely popular, at least not when I first started it. Thankful as well, to anyone that has ever left a comment here, be it the thousands of votes, the delightful discussions or even just the occasional random comment. I enjoyed them all (save for, maybe, a handful of hateful troll comments) and I cannot wait to read your thoughts in the future. Here's to the next 10000 over the course of Book 2! So much stuff happened during the last 10000 and the fun thing is, I know exactly which direction I want to take the story into over the course of the next 10000. Hopefully, you're all still going to be there when the occasion comes up at last :)

• edited July 2017

[Stay with her] Dying alone is one of the saddest ways to die, even someone like her should have at least some company when she goes.

I'm not surprised Mern Gardener is seen as weak by some of his banner men, but considering House Vyrwel and Mullendore are minor Houses, House Oakheart seems as the most powerful of this alliance, military speaking. Of course, House Hightower, who are technically Mullendore's overlords, still have the allegiance of House Cuy, Costayne, Bulwer and Beesbury.
    Then there are Houses Tyrell, Tarly, Peake, Rowan, Crane, Florent, Merryweather, Meadows, Roxton, Norcross, Graceford, Caswell, Ambrose. All those families won't just accept giving half their territory to Hoare, especially those who know the cruelty of the Ironborn.

Mullendore wants a new king to bring prosperity to the Reach eh?, who do we know could do it? cough Aegon cough. I would love to see his ambitions burn away alongside Harren, before dying knowing his dream would go on without him.

• [Stay with her]

She's not inherently evil. Arthur should stay, even if it's just for old times' sake.

• And don't forget Redwyne! Though the exact power between the houses of the Reach might be up for interpretation, I consider them as the third strongest power in the kingdom after House Gardener and Hightower. Their fleet is simply a major asset. But you are right, House Oakheart is the strongest of Mullendore's confirmed allies in the Reach, at least for now, and the marriage pact between Oakheart and Vyrwel that has been mentioned earlier is only going to strengthen their ties. Other strong houses, such as Tarly, Florent or Redwyne are certainly going to be desirable allies as well, though some of their lords do hold pretty firm loyalties to the Gardener's, even though Mern might not be the most popular king they ever had. Surely, they will need to gain additional allies though. It should also be noted that Maron Mullendore himself is not Lord Mullendore. He has a cousin, Cregan, who is the Lord of Uplands and whose loyalties are currently unknown. Maron is the weakest member of the alliance between him, Petyr Vyrwel and Devrin Oakheart in terms of sheer power, yet at the same time, his ruthless dedication to their end goal makes him the driving force in this conspiracy.

Edinosaur23 posted: »

[Stay with her] Dying alone is one of the saddest ways to die, even someone like her should have at least some company when she goes. I'm

• Awesome man!!

Then the only chapter remaining before the epilogue is Lucas trial-by-combat right?

Well... it seems that right before the end of Book 1, we have reached yet another milestone, as this current voting saw the 10000th comment

• You are right indeed! Lucas' trial-by-combat is going to be the final part of this chapter, after which only the epilogue remains for Book 1. I am pretty sure that I will get to write both before the end of the week, after which there will be a couple days for everyone to answer to the questions at the end of the chapter (though this time they will happen after the epilogue) while I work on the interlude and some additional bonus content at the end of Book 1, such as the alternative choices of Chapter 9 that could have been picked, as well as an overview of plans for Book 1 that never made it into the story proper.

Edinosaur23 posted: »

Awesome man!! Then the only chapter remaining before the epilogue is Lucas trial-by-combat right?

• [Stay with her] Not because Sherryl deserved it but because it seems more in-character for Arthur to see her last moments

RT:

• At the end follow the bloodprints was a good choice!
    • I'm curious to read why no one of the Stradford was in the house during all the time that Sherryl hide inside of it (expecially since even Mullendore visit her)
    • I'm surprised that Arthur found Sherryl and that she even found her end inside this part
    • I admit that it was interesting read Sherryl act in a way much different of all the other times that she appear inside the story;btw even if I can understand the reason behind her action (The classic "I love the bad guy") that doesn't mean that I forgive her expecially since she probably spill the beans just to have a reason to kill herself
    • Oh oh oh even House Oakheart is in the Mullendore-Vyrwell alliance eh? That explain why Petyr chose to make one of his sister bethrothed to a member of that family (and make me question how many other Noble Houses of the Reach are inside this conspiracy against the king)
    • Speaking of political marriages I'm curious to learn who marry who between House Oakheart and House Redwyne
    • Only a PoV (and an epilogue) at the end (of the first book)!

• Damn it Liquid, you made me feel pity for the bitch! :D Ah, this was a great twist though, it makes Sherryl a much deeper character, as well as much more tragic. Well, I won't go as far as to say I'll miss her, but at least she managed to gain a bit of respect from me before dying. And obviously we already knew most of the things she revealed to Arthur here, Maron's alliance to Oakheart's probably being the biggest new reveal, but I did expect him to have some strong allies among the Reachmen nobility. Hmm, I know we learnt of this earlier already, but I just realized that Mullendore working for the Hoare's kinda makes Harren the big bad of the story. I mean, for very long I considered Mullendore to be that, and perhaps he could still be seen as the main antagonist, but Harren is the true evil mastermind here.

[Stay with her] As said, I do feel pity for her, so I'd say she deserves at least not to die alone. Besides, I see this more in-character for Arthur :)

• At the end follow the bloodprints was a good choice!

It was a good choice, yes. The bootprints would have also led to results, but mostly because they as well would have ultimately led to a confrontation with Sherryl. However, they would have led to an additional scene with Edonia and Arthur, further fleshing out the former as a character.

I'm curious to read why no one of the Stradford was in the house during all the time that Sherryl hide inside of it (expecially since even Mullendore visit her)

Ah, I should clarify, this was not the Stratford's house, but their warehouse, the place where Torold stores his ale. It is not too unusual that nobody is in there at certain times in the day. Of course, that is likely a good thing, because if they would have been present there, Mullendore would have likely killed them for potentiall having interacted with Shrryl.

I'm surprised that Arthur found Sherryl and that she even found her end inside this part

Well, I thought that some might be surprised that Sherryl has met her end in this part. Though a great number of main antagonists is going to live into Book 2 (and possibly Book 3 in some cases), I wanted to give at least some closure on one of the villains in the story, while also painting her death in a more tragic light than what might have been expected.

I admit that it was interesting read Sherryl act in a way much different of all the other times that she appear inside the story;btw even if I can understand the reason behind her action (The classic "I love the bad guy") that doesn't mean that I forgive her expecially since she probably spill the beans just to have a reason to kill herself

Hehe, it was a rather common mistake she made, falling in love with the wrong person and screwing up as a result. That said, it also explains quite a lot of Sherryl's actions in the story and gave her an opportunity to show a different side of hers before dying. That said, she would have likely killed herself regardless. The guilt and regret have already taken a toll on her and this would have only gotten worse once she would have thought about it a bit more. She rather took the opportunity to reveal her knowledge to someone before dying. If, for example, Torold Stratford would have been the one to find her, she would have told him just as well before committing suicide.

Oh oh oh even House Oakheart is in the Mullendore-Vyrwell alliance eh? That explain why Petyr chose to make one of his sister bethrothed to a member of that family (and make me question how many other Noble Houses of the Reach are inside this conspiracy against the king)

Yeah, House Oakheart is the third power in the Mullendore-Vyrwel-Oakheart alliance. Lord Devrin has his own agenda for sure, but having his son marry a member of a family that has gained quite a lot in power lately surely sweetened the deal for him. Other noble houses might be involved as well, though Sherryl only knows about Vyrwel and Oakheart.

Speaking of political marriages I'm curious to learn who marry who between House Oakheart and House Redwyne

Well, Lord Oakheart has an unmarried daughter, Petyr has two siblings who are not yet married (and he outright mentioned looking for a suitable husband for his sister Shiera), there are Petyr and even Mullendore himself who remain unmarried, so there is plenty of room for further marriages, which is a very useful way of forming alliances.

Only a PoV (and an epilogue) at the end (of the first book)!

It is so close, it's kind of terrifying that I finally get to write these scenes I have planned so many months ago, years in case of the epilogue. At the same time, I find myself hyped to write down that final PoV and then the epilogue. I hope this excitement will lead to a fast writing speed =)

[Stay with her] Not because Sherryl deserved it but because it seems more in-character for Arthur to see her last moments RT: * At t

• Damn it Liquid, you made me feel pity for the bitch! :D Ah, this was a great twist though, it makes Sherryl a much deeper character, as well as much more tragic. Well, I won't go as far as to say I'll miss her, but at least she managed to gain a bit of respect from me before dying.

Muahaha, I succeeded! While I doubt Sherryl is going to become a super well-liked character now, I at least wanted to show that there is a lot more to her than just the cold-hearted schemer bitch you have seen so far. I noticed that she was, quite rightfully, among the most hated characters so far and I really wanted to see if I can succeed at painting her in a more grey light before killing her off, which I apparently managed to do with some of you :D

And obviously we already knew most of the things she revealed to Arthur here, Maron's alliance to Oakheart's probably being the biggest new reveal, but I did expect him to have some strong allies among the Reachmen nobility. Hmm, I know we learnt of this earlier already, but I just realized that Mullendore working for the Hoare's kinda makes Harren the big bad of the story. I mean, for very long I considered Mullendore to be that, and perhaps he could still be seen as the main antagonist, but Harren is the true evil mastermind here.

Oh yes, Harren is the main big bad of the story so far. Mullendore is probably the main antagonist and driving force of conflict, but Harren is the one he answers to and quite clearly a villain himself, so he is the big bad. Then again, it remains to be seen how involved he actually is in this plan. Mullendore came up with it and he also recruited Petyr and Lord Oakheart to this conspiracy. Harren meanwhile, well, he is the one profiting from it, so he delivers support such as the conveniently timed Ironborn attack on Raylansfair.

Damn it Liquid, you made me feel pity for the bitch! Ah, this was a great twist though, it makes Sherryl a much deeper character, as well a

• edited July 2017

[Stay with her] Now I myself wouldn't pick this choice really, but I feel like its more in-character for Arthur to stay. That said, I do think that Sherryl got what she deserved... I mean, a lot of people died brutally because of what she did, it only seems fitting that she meet her end in a similar way.

• Congratulations for 10000th comments

Well... it seems that right before the end of Book 1, we have reached yet another milestone, as this current voting saw the 10000th comment

• [Stay with her]

• RIP Sherryl !! U deserve the death

• That said, I do think that Sherryl got what she deserved... I mean, a lot of people died brutally because of what she did, it only seems fitting that she meet her end in a similar way.

Yeah, that was something I wanted to put some emphasis on, that her death is certainly not a nice way to die. Sherryl might not have been a truly evil person and as this part showed, she had other sides to her character as well, but she still willingly accepted the deaths of dozens of innocent people. While it is ultimately up to you if Arthur thinks she deserves to die alone, he certainly feels that she deserves death for her actions. Interestingly, she feels the same.

[Stay with her] Now I myself wouldn't pick this choice really, but I feel like its more in-character for Arthur to stay. That said, I do thi

• [Stay with her] Well that sucks. She was kinda growing on me. Sherryl did questionable things but she's far from evil. I don't think she deserves to be abandoned here.

• Aw man, please don't tell me I have killed another character you like :( Sorry! That said, I agree, Sherryl was ultimately not evil, just heavily mistaken and kind of desperately in love with the wrong man. Her actions however, well, I'd say they have been evil. After all, she directly murdered Montclair (given, she was aiming at Argella, which isn't making it any better though) and deliberately caused the deaths of dozens when she ruined the castle gates. If not for Emphryus holding the Ironborn off and Helenys going against Lord Tyrell's orders to open the Great Hall for the smallfolk, the death toll could have gone into the hundreds. The realization just how bad her actions have been and how little benefit there actually has been out of them was what drove her to suicide in this part. Ultimately though, I indeed wanted to show that despite her actions, the woman herself had some aspects that weren't as evil as most have initially thought. I am glad she started to grow on you though!

AgentZ46 posted: »

[Stay with her] Well that sucks. She was kinda growing on me. Sherryl did questionable things but she's far from evil. I don't think she deserves to be abandoned here.

• [Stay with her]

It seems like what Arthur would go. Not necessarily what I would do, but it is Arthur's choice. The evil woman did give us information, so humoring her seems fair.

Hehe, seems we got a new Two-Face in the story.

I feel bad for Lady Flowers. It's a shame that I do. Such a fool. Loving an old dirty man.

Hm. Oakheart. A strong house. I hope that the Donnel and House Selwyn avoid this buffoonery, although I have some suspicions about some things. Things aren't looking good.

• Hehe, seems we got a new Two-Face in the story.

Well, not for long though. The loss of her beauty was certainly a big factor in why Sherryl actually chose this way out, as well as why Mullendore decided to give up on her. And though opinion on Sherryl seems to have gotten more divisive as compared to the near universal hate she received before, this particular detail was karmic.

I feel bad for Lady Flowers. It's a shame that I do. Such a fool. Loving an old dirty man.

Heh, glad to hear I managed to make you feel somewhat bad for her in the end. Though a very flawed person who has done plenty of awful things, she was ultimately yet another victim of Mullendore and in her case, that is not without tragedy, because she honestly loved him. Mullendore being Mullendore, he loved her beauty and how useful she was to him, but never her as a person. Else it could have been different for both.

Hm. Oakheart. A strong house. I hope that the Donnel and House Selwyn avoid this buffoonery, although I have some suspicions about some things. Things aren't looking good.

Oakheart is indeed a very strong house and a useful ally for Mullendore and Petyr. House Selwyn might be less powerful, but them being relatively close neighbours to Raylansfair will nonetheless mean that there might be an interest in the coming events, from both sides. Then again, getting the Donnel to become involved in the fate of another city is far from certain.

[Stay with her] It seems like what Arthur would go. Not necessarily what I would do, but it is Arthur's choice. The evil woman did give u

• Well she isn't one of my favorites :p
    But I was starting to enjoy her.

I suppose you could argue that she did evil things but in my opinion she thought she was doing it for a good cause. Obviously she was dead fucking wrong.

Aw man, please don't tell me I have killed another character you like Sorry! That said, I agree, Sherryl was ultimately not evil, just heav

• [Leave her to die alone] First I have to say that I am glad to be back! I just got back from camp and just read up on what's been happening. Such a shame that Sam and John had to split. I would've had them split on bad terms just to ensure Sam knew that what she was doing was a bad idea. As for Arthur, I absolutely loved this part! Good ol' Arthur solved the mystery of the Knightly End on Jax Street. Poor Sherryl met her sad end and I couldn't be happier. She was dumb enough to let this evil man dictate every action she made. She saw the effects of what he did. Who is she to decide who's to live and who's to die. What goes around comes around.

• edited July 2017

Welcome back, Bounden! You've returned just in time for the final part of Chapter 9 tomorrow :) Glad you're back and glad to hear your thoughts on the recent events. You have also returned just in time for another so-called forum update that is hopefully going to be fixed soon. Ah, I miss the old, properly and comfortably working forums. Most importantly though, it's good to have you back in time for these final moments of the chapter and the first book. It's nice to hear you loved Arthur's final part for this book! I had a blast writing it, with him being there to witness the final moments of Sherryl and it's so good that I am not alone with my feelings on this.

On another note, I am a bit surprised I haven't gotten a notification for your comment here. So far, at least reply notifications were still working, yet your comment gave none for my poor, crippled feed. Hopefully that doesn't mean they got rid of notifications entirely in an attempt to fix the problems from the latest "update". If anyone reading this could do me a favour and reply really quick to this comment if only to ease my worries, that would be highly appreciated :)

Bounden posted: »

[Leave her to die alone] First I have to say that I am glad to be back! I just got back from camp and just read up on what's been happening.

• I am very excited to see this trial by combat to emerge. Let's see who Lucas will have to help him out, and to see who he is up against. Also, comment.

Welcome back, Bounden! You've returned just in time for the final part of Chapter 9 tomorrow Glad you're back and glad to hear your thought

• Ah, this time it is working. Guess it was only an odd bug, thankfully. Gives me hope they might restore everything a bit faster than they did back when the last update did even worse with our PM's and stuff. Anyways, much obliged!

Bounden posted: »

I am very excited to see this trial by combat to emerge. Let's see who Lucas will have to help him out, and to see who he is up against. Also, comment.

• [Stay with her]

• edited July 2017

The Voting is closed!

Arthur is going to stay with Sherryl

Well, I was curious which option you would pick. Surely, Sherryl has done plenty of horrible things and has so far been one of the characters that are more easy to hate. With her final moments, I wanted to show some more depth of her and it seems that I gave at least some of you a slightly different opinion on her. Arthur is for sure going to feel differently now. While never going to truly forgive her for her actions, he is mostly going to see her as a pawn and victim of the true villain here, which is Maron Mullendore. The revelations of this part will massively shape him in Book 2 and the events to come. So, in a way, Sherryl did something good in the end, perhaps most importantly by revealing another key player in Mullendore's plans, Lord Devrin Oakheart. You'll certainly meet that guy in Book 2, for the better or worse.

On other notes, this was the last time I closed a voting for Book 1! It is not the end of Book 1 as a whole, as there is also going to be an epilogue, so I will refrain from too much celebrating until the book is actually done, likely on Sunday. However, Chapter 9 is going to end with the very next part and this very next part is going to come out today! This means, the chapter finale is upon us!
    I feel hyped to share it, I hope you will like it, somewhat at least :) It is, however, going to be the first time I close a chapter without asking you questions or giving you a next-time segment. Both, as well as alternative choices and what-if stuff will follow after the epilogue. After that, I'll start to work on the Interlude, to finally get to Chapter 1 of Book 2 as soon as possible. Oh well, big things are on the horizon, truly big things and the next part could very well be the most important and game-changing of the entire story so far. Possibly at least, as your mileage may vary. And I am even a bit nervous, as I must admit. Ah, this is exciting :D
    Now, to get the recap done, this next part is obviously going to be a Lucas part, his final part and the final regular PoV for Book 1. It will be set about half a week after his last part, with the preparations for the trial by combat he demanded being as good as done. This is all I'm going to say about it for now. It's also going to be a bit shorter than previous chapter finales, which all had the length of three or even four regular parts. Instead, this one is only going to have the length of two. That's it for now, I hope you're going to enjoy the big events to come ;)

• Will the finale be posted in the middle of the night or earlier? Just asking, since I am quite excited to read it before I fall asleep tonight.

The Voting is closed! Arthur is going to stay with Sherryl Well, I was curious which option you would pick. Surely, Sherryl has done p

• Hm, I hope to post it earlier, likely still on this day as opposed to the early morning of tomorrow. I will be at the hospital for the next two hours or so, but a large majority of this next part, about 2/3rd, is already written. I'd say it is quite likely I will manage to finish it relatively quickly, but I cannot promise it for sure.

Mathea posted: »

Will the finale be posted in the middle of the night or earlier? Just asking, since I am quite excited to read it before I fall asleep tonight.

• Our last vote. Hope it will count.

Oh well, big things are on the horizon, truly big things and the next part could very well be the most important and game-changing of the entire story so far. Possibly at least, as your mileage may vary. And I am even a bit nervous, as I must admit. Ah, this is exciting

Very scary. Very, very scary. We shall see what happens. This may be the final time we see our friend Lucas living and breathing.

The Voting is closed! Arthur is going to stay with Sherryl Well, I was curious which option you would pick. Surely, Sherryl has done p

• You guys ever get that bad feeling that a detail in one of your submitted characters means bad news because of something that happened in the story?

Well, I got that feeling.

• Aha, I often regret submitting Jaron as a mediocre swordsman, since he is constantly running into these super skilled fighters :D

You guys ever get that bad feeling that a detail in one of your submitted characters means bad news because of something that happened in the story? Well, I got that feeling.

• edited July 2017

Hey!If I remember correctly Jaron kill Jaylon so...he don't face only skilled fighters! (even if I suppose that he was the only exception)

Aha, I often regret submitting Jaron as a mediocre swordsman, since he is constantly running into these super skilled fighters

• There's some (minor) things for Leonard I wish I could change. But it's not Leonard I'm talking about (which means you probably can figure out who I am). There's a revelation in our good friend Arthur's final part that concerns me. But we shall see if it means anything. We shall see...

Aha, I often regret submitting Jaron as a mediocre swordsman, since he is constantly running into these super skilled fighters

• I know that exact feeling, sooner or later I have it in every single story I read on here. While I am always very happy with the characters I submit, there's always bound to be some events sooner or later that make me think "Uh-oh, this won't end well for them" because of such details. So, welcome to my world :D

You guys ever get that bad feeling that a detail in one of your submitted characters means bad news because of something that happened in the story? Well, I got that feeling.

• Lucas

They had given him new quarters while the preparations were under way. A prisoner still, but one in the public eye, not the kind to mistreat. His old rooms had long since been given to one of Petyr's knights, but the guest room he had stayed in for the past three days was comfortable. Still, it didn't change the fact that his situation hadn't improved much. He was still trapped between life and death. And today would decide his fate.

“They are really rushing this”, Argella mumbled from across the room, looking at him from the chair she had seated herself on. Lucas gave her a nod as he finished the meagre meal that might be his last. Bread, cold stew, a small jug of ale, yet he enjoyed it nonetheless. “Mullendore and Petyr want to get this over with”, he replied. “This is not part of their plans”

The princess smiled slyly. “You tricked them”, she spoke. “With Harlen involved, we can be sure things will go fairly. Oh, this must be aggravating to your brother” Lucas reciprocated the smile, if briefly. “Knowing him, he's probably livid”, he said. “He wants me dead and now it has been taken out of his hands”

“Let's not celebrate too early”, the soldier next to Argella said. He was the one that always accompanied her during her visits. A handsome man, probably not much older, with brown hair and a short stubble beard. “They will send their most dangerous fighter”

Argella sighed, her smile faded. “Drent is right, you know”, she admitted. “We tried to build you up the past few days, but still, I'm not comfortable with this. A week more and you'd be in much better shape” She leant back on the chair, crossing her arms in a frustrated way.

The brief sense of optimism Lucas felt was gone as quick as it came. “No doubt Petyr urged Tyrell to have the fight this early”, he answered. “I can swing a sword. That has to be enough. Besides, who could fight for me?”

“Ser Emphryus could take on any single fighter they can muster”, Argella explained. “Alas, it's a shame he's not in any shape to fight. A month from now, or maybe two, and he would champion for you” Lucas smirked thinly. “A month or two, I could do this myself”, he claimed.

“Probably”, Argella admitted. “As it is, there is not a single of my men I'm willing to risk. You're still a knight, which makes you better than any of them. I would have championed, if only for the look on Mullendore's inbred face” She glanced at Drent, not without sharpness. “Though I'm afraid my nanny talked me out of it”

Drent raised a finger. “For good reason”, he replied, his voice stern as well. “I believe you know how...” Impatiently, she cut him off by waving her hand. “Yeah, sure”, she said. “You are right. Hells, I hate how you're always right” She hook her head. “Lucas, you have to win this on your own. There is no other way”

Lucas gave her a nod. “I will try”, he said with a sad grin. “Though do you know whom they will send against me?” Argella shook her head. “A knight, I presume. Harlen is old-fashioned in these regards and if they want to please him, they won't send one of Butterfly's thugs”

“That only leaves Petyr's men”, Lucas concluded. “Darkdell has half a dozen sworn knights. I don't know whom he has taken with him to Raylansfair, but I figure it should be one of them” Argella raised an eyebrow. “How many of them are better than you?”, she asked flatly.

Lucas thought about this for a moment, before he sighed. “Only one”, he answered. “Ser Hugo Farnham. My first teacher” He glanced at the half empty plate of food, away from Argella's piercing eyes. “I don't want to kill him”, he admitted. “He is a man of honour, a good man just sworn to the wrong lord”

“Such is the nature of these trials”, Drent brought up. “And you know it. Sometimes, you have to kill good men to stay alive” Argella nodded, though she frowned at his words. “Once again you speak truly”, she admitted. “Besides, you have an obligation to stay alive. I am neither ready nor willing to relieve you of your duty”

Now, Lucas smiled at her. “Is that an order?”, he asked and Argella smirked sweetly. “Consider it one”, she told him. “At least if it helps. Go out there and kill whomever they declare as their champion. Then leave this haunted city by my side”

A knock on the door caused her to shift her attention to it, as she gave Drent a sign. The soldier approached it, while Lucas sunk onto his bed, his heart suddenly beating heavily in his chest. This was it. The final moments.

As Drent opened the door, Lucas' gaze fell upon a girl, barely a woman, one of the servants. She was pale and thin, with plain brown hair and cautious eyes. A faint mark on the side of her face tarnished her looks, yet Lucas recognized her. “Jenna Harking”, he greeted her, as she stepped in, looking from him, to Drent, to Argella.

Finally, she pulled herself together, her back straightened, a posture that surprised Lucas. He remembered the timid girl she used to be. “I... I have come to inform you that you are supposed to get ready”, she said, looking at him now. “Lord Petyr wishes for your presence at the city centre. The trial by combat”

Lucas gave her a nod and a smile. “Thank you, Jenna”, he said, though he noticed how Argella narrowed her eyes. “Drent, close the door”, she ordered and the soldier followed instantly. Now, a brief expression of fear appeared on Jenna's face.

The Storm Princess rose from her chair. “And why are you really here, girl?”, she asked. “This is not the first time I witness a trial by combat. A man like Petyr would send his own soldiers to gather my knight” She glanced from Jenna to Lucas, her smile cold, yet clever. “Shall I leave you two alone maybe?”

Jenna blushed vividly. “No... no, that...”, she stuttered, before she sighed. “I believe I can tell you as well”, she replied. “He told me you can be trusted” To this, Lucas raised an eyebrow. “Who told you?”, he asked and Jenna looked back at him. “Leonard”, she replied.

Lucas' eye widened slightly. “Leonard is alive?”, he asked. A brief, proud smile formed on Jenna's face, as she gave him a nod. “He is hiding at my father's farm”, she answered and relief overcame Lucas. A smile, genuine for once appeared on his face. “This... gods, this is wonderful”, he said. “Thank you”

“Don't thank me yet”, Jenna answered. “He would have like to come as well. Would have liked to champion for you. Father talked him out of it” Lucas gave her a nod. “Good. Both of us at the same spot, Petyr would use that against us. Your father did the right thing”

“He requested your presence though”, Jenna said. “We're gathering at the farm. Leonard and others. He is determined to end Mullendore's rule as soon as possible” What she said, it filled Lucas with hope. There were friends. Allies. Samantha would surely fight. Leonard as well. And now even Jenna and her father. Maybe there was still hope against his traitorous brother.

“Once I am done with this fight, I will join you”, he promised, though instantly, Argella shook her head. “I am afraid this won't be necessary”, she stated. “Don't look so surprised. You are my knight and that means you have duties. I take mine seriously, I expect none less from you. You will return with me to Storm's End, where we will find a position for you at court”

Lucas' disappointment did only last for a moment. He knew she was right. After all, he had sworn an oath to her. Repaying her, it was something he couldn't do in a lifetime, but the least he could do was to respect her wishes, to follow her orders without complaint. “Of course, my princess”, he said.

Argella raised an eyebrow. “I know you are not happy about this”, she said. “Though I can assure you, with or without you, this man will be dealt with” Her hand moved to the fading bruise on her cheek. The skin was still irritated and she'd likely keep the mark for weeks. “He made it personal and that was very much a mistake”, she said sharply, before her lips formed a cold smirk. “Now I want him gone. And I always get what I want. Sooner or later, given enough effort, I'll see that smug look wiped off his face”

Her reassurance was much needed, as Lucas nodded in relief. “I... just wish I could be there to see his end”, he answered. To this, Argella glanced at the polished armour she had gotten him for this tourney. It was a fine one, perhaps the best he ever had. It even had the right colours, black and yellow, painted just days ago. “Perhaps you will”, she offered. “First, you will leave with me, but we will figure something out. For now, focus on the fight ahead”

“So, what shall I tell Leonard?”, Jenna asked and Lucas shifted his attention back to her. “Tell him I understand”, Lucas replied. “Tell him that he shall give this bastard hell” Jenna nodded, with the hint of a smile. “I will”, she answered. “And... good luck in the fight” Her gaze wandered to the door, as the smile grew thinner, before fading entirely. “It won't be long. They have finished the preparations”

“Do you know whom I will fight?”, Lucas asked and now, Jenna shook her head. “My friend tried to find out, to no avail”, she explained. “They are keeping it a secret. Not even Lord Tyrell knows whom they will send”

Just as she said this, a loud knock onto the door caused her to flinch, while Lucas' heart began to beat faster again. On Argella's sign, Drent opened the door once more, revealing a familiar sight. Hugo Farnham had gotten a bit older since Lucas last saw him, his hairline receding, his plain face looking tired, yet stony. He noticed Jenna, his eyes widening slightly as she stared at the ground, her fists clenched, though he quickly focussed solely on Lucas. “Ser Lucas”, he greeted him, before he took a quick bow in front of Argella. “Princess Argella”

Lucas sighed, as he approached the knight. For a moment, they stood in front of each other, until he extended a hand. Hugo stared down at it, as a slight smile formed on his face. He grabbed it, not giving Lucas a pat onto the back. “Good to see you, boy!”, he roared. “Even though the circumstances could be better”

“Same, Ser”, Lucas said, smiling at his old friend for a moment. “Is it time?” Hugo gave him a nod. “I'm afraid it is”, he answered. “You are supposed to get ready and follow me to the city centre. Lord Petyr awaits” Lucas frowned at the mention of his brother. “You know that he murdered my father, right?”, he mumbled.

Hugo took a step away from him instantly, looking at him with narrowed eyes. “That is a disgusting rumour”, he clarified. “None mourned Lord Leo's passing more than Petyr. They can say a lot on the streets, but I have seen him, I have spoken to him. I expected better from you than to believe such tale”

Lucas sighed. “He told me”, he revealed. “He admitted to it” Now, a brief moment of anger flashed across Hugo's face, though it was quickly replaced by disappointment. “Ser, what are you trying to do here?”, he asked. “Pitting me against my lord? Are you that desperate?”

“Are you that blind?”, Argella snapped at him, in Lucas' stead. “That weasel is working with a man like Maron Mullendore. Is it truly unthinkable for you to consider him being guilty here?” Hugo glanced at her, before he sighed. “Wether or not my lord is guilty of any crime is not mine to consider”, he stated firmly. “Nor is it the matter today” He looked at Lucas. “The gods will decide on your guilt”

“And if I am proven innocent?”, Lucas asked, to which Hugo gulped. “It will not change my opinion on Lord Petyr”, he declared. “But it might change how I see you” He put a hand onto his former pupil's shoulder. “And between us, I hope the gods will be with you today”

Lucas nodded, as he grabbed Hugo by the forearm. “Who am I fighting?”, he asked and Hugo sighed. “I am not allowed to reveal this information”, he answered glumly, before he turned to the door. “I shall wait outside while you get ready. Don't let me wait for long” And with these words, he already marched out of the door.

“Coward”, Argella muttered under her breath as the door closed. Lucas shook his head. “Ser Hugo is a good man”, he told her, to which she only raised an eyebrow. “He wants to be blind to his lord's true nature”, she countered. “It's not loyalty, it's cowardice” With a frustrated sigh, she glanced at Jenna.

The young servant girl tensed up. “I'll... I'll be on my way!”, she gasped, before she turned to Lucas. “And... stay safe, please” She was halfway to the door, when Argella called for her again. “Girl”, she said and Jenna stopped. “Tell your father he can count on my support. I will think about how and what once I'm back at Storm's End, but be assured I will keep in touch” She smiled, not at all intimidating and for once, Jenna smiled back at her.

As they were alone, Argella looked at the armour. “We better get you ready”, she mumbled. “Coward or not, we shouldn't keep him waiting. That would be... impolite. Drent!” The soldier saluted, before he moved to the armour. “Well then, Ser”, he growled. “Give them hell out there”

Wordlessly, he helped Lucas into the woollen undergarments and the thick gambeson. It was already uncomfortably warm, though he knew this would likely change in the cold autumn air once he'd step outside. He leant forwards as Drent helped him into the chainmail. Thin leather gloves covered his hands, though with a frustrated groan, he once again required Drent's help to cover his good hand and then to wear the gauntlets above them.

Argella noticed his struggle, as she narrowed her eyes. “If you cannot fight properly, his champion will kill you tonight. Then...”, she hissed and Lucas gave her a mild look. “Then this will be it”, he told her. “You can continue the fight another day, but promise me that you will leave the city in peace first”

To this, Argella rolled her eyes, as Lucas raised his arms, to allow Drent to help him with the chestplate. The soldier lifted the heavy piece of metal up without effort, tying the leather clasps tightly, before wordlessly moving to the pauldrons.

“My knight, always so concerned”, the Storm Princess chirped. This was followed by a sigh. “I... will leave the city, I promise”, she told. “However, it won't come to this. You will not die” Drent, having finished with the pauldrons, helped Lucas getting into the heavy sabatons to protect his feet, before lifting up the final piece, the gorget.

“I hate that thing”, Lucas sighed, slightly gasping for air as he felt the massive weight on his chest and throat. At the same time, it would keep him safe, he knew that. “Your armour is weak below the arm”, Drent remarked. “As well as near the waist, if your opponent hits from the right angle. Keep an eye on that. And when you parry, don't present the inner side of your arms. Only your chainmail to protect you there”

“I know”, Lucas mumbled, as his mutilated hand reached for the shield. The remaining fingers weren't enough to properly hold it, so he had Drent tying it to the hand with leather straps. It added to the weight, but gave him a firm grasp of the piece of metal, even if the stumps of his fingers ached from the effort.

Just as he looked at the helmet, a sallet to protect his face and neck, Argella cleared her throat to gain his attention. With a reassuring smile on her face, she presented him a sword. It was a simple one, yet sharp and finely crafted. “The best one in the city, as I have been told”, she explained. “It served me well during the raid. May it do the same for you”

She personally helped Lucas with girding the weapon, before he reached for his helmet. He looked at it for a moment, before deciding to carry it beneath his arm until they would get to the city centre. “I am ready”, he said and Argella looked even impressed. “You look ready”, she complimented him, mustering him closely. “I pity the poor fool they will send against you”

“Who knows, it could be Mullendore himself”, Drent brought up and somehow, they all found it in themselves to smile. “Wouldn't that be a sight”, Argella brought up. “In that case, I would have loved to champion for you” She approached the door. “Come then. Let us meet your opponent”

Hugo was waiting patiently as Lucas dragged himself out of the room. The armour was heavy, though he was glad to have it. If anything, it would make him hard to kill and in his current condition, he needed that sort of protection. The other knight smiled as he spotted him. “I'll need some time to get used to the colours”, he admitted. “But it is good that you are back to your former shape. The injuries you suffered, I was afraid they'd slow you down”

“Perhaps they still do”, Lucas admitted. “I hope it won't matter” Hugo sighed. “As do I”, he answered. “Come now” He gave him a sign to follow and Lucas stalked after him, his body stiff beneath the heavy armour. Argella walked to his right, while Drent marched to the left, slightly behind them. Neither said a word, as the small group left the keep for the nearly empty courtyard.

They passed the half-fixed remnants of destruction the failed raid had left. Yet at the same time, Lucas couldn't get this thought out of his head. The raid had failed, yet was Raylansfair truly for the better, with Mullendore ruling over it? His men running rampant on the streets? Nothing good could come out of this situation. And all he could do to stop it was to win his fight today. His life was in his hands, or what was left of them.

As they walked down the road that led to the city, Lucas spotted the centre through the roofs of the closest houses. The square had been fortified, a makeshift arena built there. It was nothing special, though wooden barriers kept the smallfolk from entering a very particular square in the very centre. Above it towered a stand for the highborn spectators and their entourage. And from afar, Lucas could already see how utterly crowded this place was. It seem half of the city had come to see him fighting for his life. Or maybe they were just hoping for someone's death. He had seen this mentality far too often in the Free Cities.

As they came closer, it became obvious to him that it was a mixture of both. The looks these people had on their faces... gods, what did Mullendore tell them? These people, they hated him. Men and women he had known for years now, they were truly believing his brother's lies. Or perhaps they just wanted to see someone dying and he, in his condition, was the safer bet. Whatever it was, it caused him severe discomfort.

His brother was already there. Petyr stood on the stand, flanked by Harlen Tyrell and Maron Mullendore. With a heavy heart, Lucas noticed Edith standing near her father. He had hoped to never have to kill in front of his niece. Or be killed while she watched on.

The Reyne knight was there as well, standing close to his uncle, the bastard of Castamere and General Tallian. Next to them stood Lady Bellward of White Harbour, with the man Lucas deduced to be her servant. Even Ser Orys and his knights had found a place there. Part of the stand was still free, undoubtedly reserved for Argella. After what the princess had told him of the visitors in Raylansfair, it had to be Mullendore's sick sense of humour that she had to stand so close to the Targaryen knights.

Argella noticed it as well, a frown forming on her face. “Oh, that bastard...”, she mumbled, before she stopped, next to the stairs that led up to the stand. Lucas noticed how Petyr whispered something to Edith, before he and Maron turned to the newcomers. Hugo marched up, saluting in front of his lord, before heading next to Edith, putting a hand onto her shoulder and pulling her into a hug.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.