Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• Meria is such an interesting character, wonder which character will give us a point of view of Martell's court.

The name of Meria's son is Nymor, not Namor. Sure, it sounds repetitive, but his full name is technically Nymor Nymeros Martell.

Wonder why is a Reach's bastard at Sunspear, considering the enmity between both regions.

A former Unsullied eh? Wonder what's his story, after all we all know Westerosi hate slavery.

For what we have seen so far, the Aspys family is mistrusted even by their fellow Dornishmen, wonder if Snakestone is located near Wyl. Makes less surprising that Nymeria left.

So a threat is looming on Dorne from the inside...

Ser Lyonel Sand, from which house is he a bastard from?

Forum of Thrones – Interlude VI Seven Letters – No King Above Meria Being old was commonly accepted to be a bad thing, yet the youn

• Great part. You have really put theses out quickly. Its nice to see the Martell's remain interesting through the generations. You know I have to wonder if the royal families ever meet up. Almost all of them seem secluded in their little stretches of land. Do the Kings ever have visits from each other?

Aye, I intend to finish the Interlude before the end of this week. With my vacation coming up, I aim to release the prologue and the first part of Book 2 before I leave, so that you have something to vote in the meantime. And not requiring any votes means I can push these out at a fast speed. That, and the fact that I am hyped to introduce the royal courts of Westeros :) And well, most of the royal families rarely meet up. They are not exactly on friendly terms in many cases. Argilac Durrandon has an uneasy truce with Mern Gardener, both are at war with Meria Martell. Meanwhile, Sharra Arryn and Torrhen Stark are satisfied governing their own kingdoms without paying much attention to the others. Nobody likes Harren Hoare. The only kings who have met occasionally and are on good terms are Mern Gardener and Loren Lannister. The other kings either dislike or outright hate each other.

Lord_EAA posted: »

Great part. You have really put theses out quickly. Its nice to see the Martell's remain interesting through the generations. You know I hav

• Oh man, Meria has such an awesome and distinctive personality =) She reminded me a bit of Olenna, just wit a bit of Dornish twist to her. And you also did great with the limitation of her being blind, making it actually an interesting element in her interactions with other characters.

Ah, I am so happy to hear this. While I cannot say that Olenna has been an active influence, I might have subconsciously taken her as an inspiration. I certainly see the similarities =) Her being blind was a pain to write, but something I actually grew fond of while writing.

And boy oh boy, hhere certainly were many characters introduced here! :D I can understand that though, since it was basically your first chance to show off these characters. And many of them seem really interesting, even if we only got a tiny glimpse of their personalities.

Oh yes, the second-most out of any Interlude, only topped by the northern Interlude. Here, due to me not being able to describe their looks, I had more room for the actual story of the part, albeit something was just missing without the descriptions. Do you know, for example, that Landon Jordayne has very dark skin, but dyes his hair golden, including a fabulous Freddie Mercury-like moustache? I'm not even joking, he's looking amazing :D

And ha, I wasn't actually expecting to get any of my Manwoody's introduced here, but you managed to write Sarina in, awesome! =) Obviously we didn't get much of her yet, but so far I really like how you write her :)

Hehehe, surprise, surprise ;) Sarina was, like the entire court, originally planned to appear in Chapter 4, which is where a new PoV at court will show us these characters once again (save for Ysilla, whom we're going to see in Chapter 2 already), so my decision to write the Interlude has been very good for her. I had fun writing her and well, I can say with certainty that my plans for her will make for a nice development.

The stuff with Aegon's letter was more or less what I expected, but this (Darude -) Sandstorm stuff was a complete surprise! I'm guessing we'll see a storyline related to them in Book 2. Hmmm... I sense Yronwood scheming here ;)

Aye, Darude Sandstorm is a major concern for Meria right now, arguably even more than Aegon Targaryen and his dragons. They are rebels, terrorists and to make them super unsettling, I actually took note of real life terror attacks and tactics. Basically, these guys are the closest thing Westeros ever had to the Taliban. They are opposed to House Martell's rule, which gives them some sympathies by those who still do not like their half-rhoynish rulers. Chiefest among them, of course, the houses that have lost the most during Nymeria's War.

Oh man, Meria has such an awesome and distinctive personality She reminded me a bit of Olenna, just wit a bit of Dornish twist to her. And

• Meria is such an interesting character, wonder which character will give us a point of view of Martell's court.

Glad to hear it! I loved writing her and these other characters. Sunspear is home to a number of great characters, both introduced and unintroduced. However, I can confirm that the Sunspear PoV will be a character that is not yet introduced.

The name of Meria's son is Nymor, not Namor. Sure, it sounds repetitive, but his full name is technically Nymor Nymeros Martell.

Damn it :D That is one of the details I should have checked again. I was just so sure it's Namor, because let's be honest here, Nymor sounds a bit odd, given his full house name is Nymeros Martell. But well, thank you for telling me, I would have never noticed it. Now it is not too late to change it, which I just did.

Wonder why is a Reach's bastard at Sunspear, considering the enmity between both regions.

Half a Reachman, as Meria would like to point out. Vinicus has not been seen in this part, for good reason and neither has the other foreigner at court, a certain Lady Absidee, who is a Lysene. Vinicus is half a Braavosi, by the way. His status as a Flowers however does not give him many friends at court, but he has some unique talents and is serving as Meria's Master of Coin. The story for how he ended up at Sunspear will be explained once he makes his actual proper introduction in Chapter 4 :)

A former Unsullied eh? Wonder what's his story, after all we all know Westerosi hate slavery.

It is quite the story, this I promise. Razek is an Unsullied, but obviously a free man by now and like Grey Worm, he has developed a personality of his own beyond just being a soldier and killing machine, even if his unquestionable loyalty to Meria remains.

For what we have seen so far, the Aspys family is mistrusted even by their fellow Dornishmen, wonder if Snakestone is located near Wyl. Makes less surprising that Nymeria left.

Aye, we just saw Nymeria's older sister, Elia. She was a big reason for why Nymeria left and as we have seen, she is really not the nicest person, especially to bastards, or those that look different. Come to think of it, she's awful, if probably not entirely so. And Snakestone is indeed located somewhere close to Wyl, a bit to the south, near the road to Yronwood. They have always been vassals to Wyl and like them, they have a very bad reputation.

So a threat is looming on Dorne from the inside...

And a serious threat it is. This is not the first time the Sandstorm attacks, but they have grown bolder recently and actually start to gain support from some elements of the population that has suffered under Nymeria's War. They are formidable antagonists, that I can promise.

Ser Lyonel Sand, from which house is he a bastard from?

Ah, here's the interesting thing, he's not actually a dornish bastard. He has been born as the son of a cousin of Lord Redwyne, but to a dornish mother, who also raised him exclusively. He never had much contact with his father's family, so he considers himself a dornishman through and through, a Sand and not a Flowers.

Edinosaur23 posted: »

Meria is such an interesting character, wonder which character will give us a point of view of Martell's court. The name of Meria's son i

• I've been really looking forward to this part, and it came out even sooner than I had expected! It's really interesting to see things from the perspective of a blind woman, and also a character that is way past their prime and physically weak.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if I manage to release it before heading to bed, but having been hit by inspiration, I just finished the damn thing and I am so happy you enjoyed it :) Meria is also the only time I get to write a blind PoV. Having a PoV without access to one particular sense has been a challenge, as I couldn't write much in terms of physical reactions, facial expressions or subtle movements she cannot notice. It is great to hear that you considered this to be interesting.

Hmm, for some reason the Dornish names seem to be harder for me to remember.

Ah, well, it is the only court which has not even been remotely mentioned so far. The most familiar name among these has been Meria herself, probably, or maybe Elia Aspys for those that remember Nymeria's last name. Even Torrhen had the advantage of introducing himself, Brogar and Malina Karstark and Jorn Mormont, who have all been outright name-dropped. That being said, Sharra introduced completly new characters as well, but not as many. The dornish here, they lack descriptions obviously. I doubt you'd find characters such as Landon or Ysilla hard to remember if you'd actually be able to imagine their looks. This is a bit lacking from Meria's perspective, but I have no doubt that once they all reappear in various PoV storylines, you will find it much easier to remember their names.

DiverseGnu posted: »

I've been really looking forward to this part, and it came out even sooner than I had expected! It's really interesting to see things from t

• edited July 2017

Man, what an amazing part! I had been totally hyped for the Dorne Interlude and you delivered it in an incredible way =) I know I'm a wee bit biased here since this part heavily features my dear Ysilla, but I have to say that this has been my favorite Interlude so far. There's so many interesting characters here, its even hard to begin talking about them. Having Meria as a PoV was a real joy, her personality is really refreshing and her interactions with the other characters were really entertaining. With the great way you pulled off her PoV, I struggle to see how you had a hard time getting around her blindness.

Now, I think I've already read this part at least 7 times in a row and I still have a big grin on my face :D The way you portrayed Ysilla here was perfect, it was everything I imagined she would be and more. From her interactions with the other characters to subtle actions, you nailed everything. Her interaction with Meria was great to read, I personally thought they made a great pair :) Ysilla's comment on Theodan was also perfect, even though it was only a mention I can already see that you also nailed their relationship and I can't wait to see their interactions in book 2. Still on Theodan's mention, him being at some brothel instead of at court is totally something he'd do... and Ysilla's comment on him was priceless :D That Alester mention was also really neat, I bet he'll have a nice relationship with Nymor and Meria herself.

That ending got me really hyped for Book 2 (even more than I already was, if that's even possible), I can't wait to find out what happened in the city and how Theodan is, but if I know him he'll probably be having a grand time :D And again, I know I already talked a lot about her, but Ysilla's last reaction was so nice... I can only imagine what's going through her head knowing that Theodan is alone out there. I'm so looking forward for this that I'll probably have a hard time sleeping today, just imagining all the possibilities. :)

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go back to re-reading this part until the grin on my face wears off... which probably won't be any time soon :D

Forum of Thrones – Interlude VI Seven Letters – No King Above Meria Being old was commonly accepted to be a bad thing, yet the youn

• And now only good old Argillac remain

RT:

• Wow Liquid!This is yet another interesting and enjoyable part! Meria was a really interesting PoV and the fact that she is blind make the ruler a very different read
    • Like you already said the Dorne PoV of the interlude introduce many new characters
    • As always I will start with the people that hold the crown,Princess Meria is a very interesting character that I really like while her son,Prince Nymeros, seems to be a too cautious person and for that reason seems that his mother like more her granddaughter,Princess Deria.
    • I enjoy that Meria interaction with her handmaiden is different of the one that Sharra has with her handmaidens;I really like even the guard that follow the Princess during this part
    • I admit that someone must be blind to not notice the chemistry between Lady Elia Aspys (one of Nymeria sisters I suppose) and the Sand girl!
    • At the council you introduce many characters with interesting position (a maester,an admiral etc.),I'm curious to discover their role inside the story
    • I don't obviously forget the Manwoody,she don't left me a big first impression but I remember that her family seal is the cover of the third book (and I'm curious to see the others members of that House)
    • I add that in this part you mentioned many characters:the brother of the Sand girl,the order sister of the Aspys lady, a lady that meet an informant, a Flowers (damn,another one!) that is missing and maybe someone else that I forget to mention
    • I really like the council and I'm curious to see Dorne next move against Aegon (even if it seems that they have more problems with a Sandstorm)
    • About the Sandstorm..I'm sure that one of them (maybe even the leader) is a member of the council but who?

• Ah I didnt thought the Interludes would be such great.Another PoV Meria.Her distinctive personality makes her even mor special.
    1 more interlude remaining now.
    Waiting for it :)

• Back from my break.

Very weird having the cold and everything after so long down south. I imagine many characters here will have a role in the wars to come. We'll see what that it is soon enough.

Forum of Thrones – Interlude IV Seven Letters – Fur and Frost Torrhen It was a cold day, even for an autumn that was unusually shor

• Ah welcome back! It's indeed a change of scenery, though considering how much of the story has concentrated on the Reach in Book 1, it will be far from the only one, nor do I think it will be the most dramatic change of scenery. It will however feature a mostly new cast, like the ones seen here, with only a handful of known characters, such as Raenna or Brandon as familiar faces.

Back from my break. Very weird having the cold and everything after so long down south. I imagine many characters here will have a role in the wars to come. We'll see what that it is soon enough.

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited July 2017

Cool to see a "battle" even though it was pretty one-sided.

Among his soldiers, there was one Loren found particularly fascinating to watch. Someone had knocked away the man's helmet, yet he continued to fight. He was tall, quite likely a match for the tallest men at the court of Casterly Rock, in terms of sheer size at least, even if he was a rather skinny lad. He made up for it with clear ferocity, the look on his face quite terrifying as he cleaved at the men. Loren decided to keep this man in mind.

The law of conversation of detail indicates that this person must be very important. I will be watching...

Anyway, good stuff.

Forum of Thrones – Interlude V Seven Letters – A Hard Place Loren The King of the Rock slowed his destrier, as he overlooked the ar

• Man, what an amazing part! I had been totally hyped for the Dorne Interlude and you delivered it in an incredible way =) I know I'm a wee bit biased here since this part heavily features my dear Ysilla, but I have to say that this has been my favorite Interlude so far. There's so many interesting characters here, its even hard to begin talking about them. Having Meria as a PoV was a real joy, her personality is really refreshing and her interactions with the other characters were really entertaining. With the great way you pulled off her PoV, I struggle to see how you had a hard time getting around her blindness.

Hehe, I am so happy you enjoyed this part and Ysilla in it so much. It has been the Interlude I was the most looking forward to write aside from Harren's, but also the one I was the most nervous about, mostly because of Meria's blindness. It was indeed a challenge and something I actually struggled with in the very beginning, but I am so happy that I managed to pull it off. It probably will be the only part from a blind PoV, even if Meria herself will be a major character in the coming Dorne storyline.

Now, I think I've already read this part at least 7 times in a row and I still have a big grin on my face :D The way you portrayed Ysilla here was perfect, it was everything I imagined she would be and more. From her interactions with the other characters to subtle actions, you nailed everything. Her interaction with Meria was great to read, I personally thought they made a great pair :) Ysilla's comment on Theodan was also perfect, even though it was only a mention I can already see that you also nailed their relationship and I can't wait to see their interactions in book 2. Still on Theodan's mention, him being at some brothel instead of at court is totally something he'd do... and Ysilla's comment on him was priceless :D That Alester mention was also really neat, I bet he'll have a nice relationship with Nymor and Meria herself.

And this is awesome. I always love to hear that I managed to portray someone's character so well, so now I have a grin on my face as well =) In fact, I had a lot of fun writing Ysilla here, lots of her interaction with Elia and Meria came natural in a way I feel with few characters. I also very much look forward to portray the relationship between her and Theodan a bit more in-depth, though it's nice that you enjoyed what we have seen here so far. More will follow, a lot more. And with my plans having evolved while writing this part (more about that below), I am willing to bet you might be very pleased with a couple of details.

That ending got me really hyped for Book 2 (even more than I already was, if that's even possible), I can't wait to find out what happened in the city and how Theodan is, but if I know him he'll probably be having a grand time :D And again, I know I already talked a lot about her, but Ysilla's last reaction was so nice... I can only imagine what's going through her head knowing that Theodan is alone out there. I'm so looking forward for this that I'll probably have a hard time sleeping today, just imagining all the possibilities. :)

Actually, having slept a night over this part, I can admit here, my plans changed, dramatically so. We're talking about big changes. I have to retract my earlier statement about Dorne being back in Chapter 2, for example. One thing I noticed is, I want both Vale storylines to start at the same time, probably two PoV's in the same part even, but I cannot start one of them until Chapter 2. So, I pushed one of the Vale PoV's to Chapter 2, which will be for the better for that PoV and I decided to pull Dorne into Chapter 1. This will mean, Ysilla, who has originally been planned to appear in this new PoV's storyline in Chapter 2, is now going to be in Chapter 1. There has also been another change, probably even bigger in the long run, but I better not say anything about it, or else I spoil it. I do believe, however, that the pacing for Book 2 has just become a lot better, with my change of plans, as it will allow me to show Dorne earlier and the Vale with more intensity.

Man, what an amazing part! I had been totally hyped for the Dorne Interlude and you delivered it in an incredible way I know I'm a wee bit

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited July 2017

Well, that was different.

Any further conversation was cut off from another one, taking place down the hallway, beyond a corner. Two voices, female, one of them sharp and agitated, the other one soft, yet with an underlying harshness to it that made it only sound more pleasant in Meria's ears. The princess never forgot a voice, so she knew whom these two women were right as they spoke.

Sound sound sound, the main imagery here. Strange but effective.

I forgotten how different the Dornish were at times. This part really shows it.

The Sandstorm. Cool name for an insurgent group. How long have they been operating? They a recent or a continued pest, because I have a pretty cool idea of they've been going at it for a while.

Also, Liquid, you must do me a favor. Sometime in the story, have a lone knight in the desert on a horse with no name. Not only would the imagery be really cool and a good place for a character to think, it's an excuse to play this song:

• And now only good old Argillac remain

Aye. The best comes last, or so the saying goes and I hope it does indeed. I cannot promise anything, but I am excited for Argilac and Storm's End, after such a long time.

Wow Liquid!This is yet another interesting and enjoyable part! Meria was a really interesting PoV and the fact that she is blind make the ruler a very different read

Hehe, one thing I wasn't sure if I'll be able to pull off was giving each ruler their distinctive feel and personality. Given your reactions, it seems I succeeded (especially as I am not worried about Argilac in these regards). With Meria, it was, among other things, her blindness and physical weakness, which means putting more emphasis on other things about her character.

Like you already said the Dorne PoV of the interlude introduce many new characters

Not as many as the North, but more than all the other Interludes. The Stormlands Interlude will also introduce a handful, but Dorne will remain the second-most crowded Interlude. Here, it actually helped me to focus on the part itself instead of character descriptions, though once these characters will reappear in the near future, I'll have to give you some better descriptions, so that they will leave more of an impression.

As always I will start with the people that hold the crown,Princess Meria is a very interesting character that I really like while her son,Prince Nymeros, seems to be a too cautious person and for that reason seems that his mother like more her granddaughter,Princess Deria.

Meria is indeed the ruler I had the most fun writing here, due to her general personality. However, Nymor and Deria will also be developed a lot more, starting with Chapter 4. Nymor (not Namor, as I have learned and much to my dismay :D) is the more cautious of the two, whereas Deria is a younger version of her grandmother, if probably less cautious due to her youth.

I enjoy that Meria interaction with her handmaiden is different of the one that Sharra has with her handmaidens;I really like even the guard that follow the Princess during this part

Cira and Allaryn are quite unique for servants, especially due to Meria's unique way of interacting with them. Sharra had her own way of dealing with them and due to her own youth, she has a different relatonship to them as well. Both, handmaiden and guard will be very important for the storyline of the PoV that starts his journey in Chapter 4, but might get a cameo in the next chapter as well.

I admit that someone must be blind to not notice the chemistry between Lady Elia Aspys (one of Nymeria sisters I suppose) and the Sand girl!

Ah, chemistry, you say? Well, they make for a pretty explosive mixture, due to both being rather confrontational in terms of personality. Elia is indeed Nymeria's older sister, she also has another sister, two brothers and one half-sister. And we will learn more of her and why Nymeria left Snakestone in the future, probably from Nym herself. Ysilla meanwhile, she'll be in the story even sooner, as I explained to Javier, mostly because I had a lot of fun writing her.

At the council you introduce many characters with interesting position (a maester,an admiral etc.),I'm curious to discover their role inside the story

Meria's council is pretty effective. Has to be, because due to her age and blindness she cannot govern Dorne on her own in the way Torrhen Stark can rule the North or Argilac the Stormlands. So, the PoV at the court of Dorne will show a lot of these characters and their relationships among each other.

I don't obviously forget the Manwoody,she don't left me a big first impression but I remember that her family seal is the cover of the third book (and I'm curious to see the others members of that House)

I admit, Sarina hasn't done much here, but she will become even more important than most of the characters at court. The fact that the Manwoody sigil is on the Book 3 cover should give that much away, even if it has also been chosen due to the symbolic meaning of it and of their words. I believe she will eventually leave a pretty big impression on you and the others once she gets her chance to shine.

I add that in this part you mentioned many characters:the brother of the Sand girl,the order sister of the Aspys lady, a lady that meet an informant, a Flowers (damn,another one!)

That is true. I believe, once more, the only part that mentioned more characters was the northern Interlude, which hinted at a couple of lords to come. Here, we will see Theodan Allyrion, Ysilla's brother, as well as the two council members that have been absent, Absidee of Lys and Vinicus Flowers, in the not-so-distant future. Vyria Aspys meanwhile, Elia's older sister, won't appear in a while, but I have good plans for her :)

I really like the council and I'm curious to see Dorne next move against Aegon (even if it seems that they have more problems with a Sandstorm)

For now, the dornish will wait. Aegon's dragons are a severe threat and nobody knows this more than them, considering that the Rhoynar who make up a notable part of their population, have been drived from their homelands by the Dragonlords during the Second Spice War about four hundred years before the story. Even now, they are cautious when it comes to dragons, no matter that only three of them are still alive. The Sandstorm is indeed the more urgent problem, but eventually, Aegon's gaze will fall on Dorne and things will never be the same again.

About the Sandstorm..I'm sure that one of them (maybe even the leader) is a member of the council but who?

Well, surely this would be a possibility. Landon Jordayne brought up this suspicion and as the Master of Laws, he is one of the ones best informed when it comes to them. The only one who might be more involved in this matter is Absidee, the spymaster who has not appeared in this part. Admittedly, Landon is part of the council as well, but his suspicions are not unfounded. If not one of the council members, it is one of the dornish lords, but given how strong they have become, they likely have influential supporters, one or more.

And now only good old Argillac remain RT: * Wow Liquid!This is yet another interesting and enjoyable part! Meria was a really intere

• I surely did not thought I'd have so much fun about them either. It's great to realize that everyone seems to enjoy them. Now there is only one Interlude left, but it was only the beginning. A lot of things have been set up, but they only scratch on the surface in many situations. And I hope to release the final part tomorrow, though don't know, it might not be out before Monday. We'll see, it definitely won't be any later than that!

Ah I didnt thought the Interludes would be such great.Another PoV Meria.Her distinctive personality makes her even mor special. 1 more interlude remaining now. Waiting for it

• The law of conversation of detail indicates that this person must be very important. I will be watching...

It is an important guy indeed, one I hope will remain in your memory until I manage to show him again (though I'll probably think of a way to remind you by then). He is one of several plot points I have not been able to fully set up, on account of there being so many of them and the parts being only so long. He'll reappear in time and will be a major presence in one particular PoV, if likely not the one you'd expect right now ;)

Cool to see a "battle" even though it was pretty one-sided. Among his soldiers, there was one Loren found particularly fascinat

• Sound sound sound, the main imagery here. Strange but effective.

It was a strange write for sure, havign to be careful not to use a single description of anything that requires sight to notice. As such, Meria mostly focusses on sound and now I am happy to hear it has been an effective way to deal with this part.

I forgotten how different the Dornish were at times. This part really shows it.

Aye, the Dornish are, in some cases, drastically different from the other Westerosi. Bastards are treated with respect, there's a female ruler and an heiress appearing in this part, they are generally more relaxed and less formal about many things. But they also have pride that rivals the one displayed by the Northern lords and if Meria promises they will not bow to the dragons, she means it.

The Sandstorm. Cool name for an insurgent group. How long have they been operating? They a recent or a continued pest, because I have a pretty cool idea of they've been going at it for a while.

The Sandstorm is a relatively recent group of insurgents. They have started to be a problem a few months ago, but have rapidly grown in power, boldness and influence. Using modern terrorist tactics, they wage war on House Martell in a way nobody else ever did in the setting. And well, it is likely they have an influential benefactor with access to a vast sum of coin to support them.

Also, Liquid, you must do me a favor. Sometime in the story, have a lone knight in the desert on a horse with no name. Not only would the imagery be really cool and a good place for a character to think, it's an excuse to play this song:

I see, I see. I like this song a lot and the imagery as well. I cannot make any promises, but I like this a lot. We'll see about it, how the Dorne storyline develops and stuff. Maybe I indeed find a way to incorporate this :)

Well, that was different. Any further conversation was cut off from another one, taking place down the hallway, beyond a corner. Two v

• So I caught up with Nymeria's war, this one looks like it'll take 4 times the effort. Lol

• Well, it probably is about four times as long, considering it goes on for much longer. I have noticed that you managed to catch up with Nymeria's War though and this already means you have quite a good speed while reading, as it has an impressive length of its own. That being said, I will be on vacation for most of August and while I dearly hope I don't have to pause my writing entirely during these three weeks, it might mean I have to slow down a bit. Could be the perfect time to catch up :D But again, if I can do anything to help you a bit and make it easier for you, let me know :)

Dan10 posted: »

So I caught up with Nymeria's war, this one looks like it'll take 4 times the effort. Lol

• You could always read the summary instead of going through all the chapters in full. I'm a new reader myself and I can assure you that you'll not only be able to get acquainted to the story through the summary, but you'll also get immersed through it. The summary is very well done, and even though its always best to read the parts in full, I totally recommend the summary if you feel like you gotta catch up to the story asap.

So I caught up with Nymeria's war, this one looks like it'll take 4 times the effort. Lol

• Well it is a long story but it is a very enjoyable read and for that reason I suggest you to read if you have time the chapters and not the summary (yes,you will need more time for catching up but for sure you will be more interested about the events inside the story and the characters of it)

• Forum of Thrones – Interlude VII

Seven Letters – The Scion's Fury

Argilac

A storm was raging outside of the castle and in the mind of its king. Once more, the gods of wind and sea tried to bring down his line. Over the years, they nearly succeeded. And today, Argilac Durrandon stood amid the remains of their fury, in the crypts beneath Storm's End.

It was a harsh duty, carrying two wives and three sons to their graves. An even harsher duty was to live on. Yet nothing was harder for the Storm King than going down here, remembering them as they used to be. His first wife, Leona, resting together with Mors, the son he never knew. It seemed only fitting for them to share a grave, embedded in the same stone, mother and son.

With a heavy sigh, Argilac put a hand onto the cold stone, as he remembered her. Leona had never won his heart, neither had he won hers. Estermont's daughter had been a kind woman, smart, yet frail of health. His attempt to bind Greenstone closer to the throne again, an attempt that resulted in a marriage made of duty, built on respect, but never on love. An attempt that failed when Leona died giving birth weeks too early, their son following her not long ago.

The king gulped. “We had good times”, he mumbled, smiling briefly at the stony sarcophagus. In his own way, he missed his cunning wife, her sound advice and the way she understood him. But it was nothing compared to the pain it caused him to look at the three graves on the other side of the room.

Daeria, the woman he loved, was lying there. Davos, the Storm Prince and Artos. Taken too soon, by a cruel fate. Elenei's line, the gods his ancestor grieved, their curse that tried to bring down everything Durran had built up. And Argilac, the scion that suffered under their fury. The Last Storm, that's what some called him, never when they thought him listening. Yet this was not true. The last man of Durran's line he might be, but not the last Durrandon.

The smile on his face was forced, as Argilac approached the three graves. “It's me”, he said, announcing himself in the desperate hope that they were listening, wherever they were now. A lump formed in his throat as he put a hand onto the stony face on Daeria's sarcophagus. Her spitting image, forever cast in cold marble.

“There's not a day I don't miss you”, he mumbled. “All of you” His fingers wandered over Daeria's features, gently touching a stony cheek. “There's not a day where I don't regret that you're not here anymore”, he continued. “And Gella... you should see her, my love. She's so much like you”

For a moment, his smile grew wider and genuine, the sadness fading, though tears shot into his eyes in their stead, as he thought of his stubborn child, his wayward daughter, his little princess of the storm, whom he loved more than all the world combined. “You'd be proud”, he said and sighed. “So proud”

“Your grace!”, a voice sounded from the other side of the crypt, the stony staircase that led to the courtyard. “Your grace, guests have arrived!” Argilac clenched his fists, as he pulled away from the graves of his loved ones. “I'm coming!”, he growled, his deep voice echoing through the labyrinthine crypt. A thousand Durrandon's were lying here. So would he, one day, next to the woman he loved. “I'll be back soon”, he promised, as he marched back to the surface and to his duties.

On his way, he passed the newest of the graves. Maester Raymond had not been a Durrandon by blood, not even a Stormlander. Putting him into the royal crypts had upset a great deal of his lords. But in the end, Raymond had served for seventy years, longer than Argilac and most of his lords were even alive. None more faithful, a friend, an advisor. He was family, no matter what men like Estermont said. And he would rest there, amid those he served for so long. Losing him, it was something Argilac had expected and yet, the numb feeling that had engulfed him when they found the man, mere days after Gella left for Raylansfair, it had not faded yet. Raymond had been ninety years old at the time of his death, twenty and two more than Argilac. In a way, he hoped that he'd have the same, long life, yet a part of him doubted it.

Of course, the Citadel had already sent a replacement, fast as they always were. A warrior this time, his chain having four iron links, a man that should be to Argilac's liking. And yet, the silver-haired Maester Qoherys left a sour taste in his mouth, if only due to the man he was meant to replace.

At the top of the stairs, he was greeted by the captain of his royal guard. Ser Landry Swann was even taller than the king himself and, as hard as it was to admit, stronger than Argilac had been in his prime. Blonde of hair, unlike his dark-haired brother, the late Lord Steffon, Landry was an intimidating sight, an ugly, yet fearsome man, with a thick, long beard to rival his king's and strong, square features.

“The sons of Lord Errol, Fell and Buckler have arrived”, he informed him and Argilac gave him a nod, narrowing his eyes at the storm that ravaged Shipbreaker's Bay. “They are currently in the Great Hall, talking to Schodek”

Argilac sighed. “I have expected them to arrive later”, he growled. “Maybe when Gella is here again. She should meet them first” To this, Landry smiled. “She'd eat them alive”, he replied. “The Errol boy is three years younger than her and it shows. Doubt he could even keep eye contact”

As the king smiled, Landry raised a hand. “Would you like something to dry your face with?”, he asked and it was only then that he noticed the tears that still streamed down his face. Being so close to the ones he lost, it was always a humbling experience.

Argilac shook his head. “It's raining”, he remarked, as he stepped out into the courtyard, the water washing away the tears from his cheeks. He sent a furious glare up the skies as a flash of lightning illuminated it, hoping that some god would see it. Durran Godsgrief he was not, but after what they had taken from him, they were his enemies. His ancestors, yes, but their scion had nothing but hate for them. They replied with a fearsome roll of thunder.

Silently, Argilac marched over the courtyard. Landry followed him and two of the royal guard that had stood guard in front of the crypt while he was down there. Dickon Morrigen and Beric Storm were young, the youngest members of his guard, yet accomplished fighters in their own right and they had earned their position. That being said, considering that their position included being outside on a day as horrible as the current meant that few envied them, at least few that mattered.

The Great Hall meanwhile was surprisingly empty. Perhaps Baron had thrown them all out after noble guests had arrived. He sat to the left of the throne now, the three young men in front of him standing, though they quickly turned around as Argilac approached them.

“Behold, Argilac Storm King!”, Landry announced him and the three saluted. “STORM KING!”, they shouted in unison. The king gave them a nod, as he wordlessly stepped past them, to sit down on his throne. Landry took position standing to his right, while Dickon and Beric assumed their places behind him. Only Baron remained sitting to Argilac's left.

“So then...”, Argilac growled, as he mustered the three young men. “Whom do we have here?” He knew about his imposing appearance. Still broad and tall despite nearing seventy years of age, his hair was full and black, as was his beard, while his eyes had never lost their piercing, dark blue stare.

First, Baron pointed at the young man standing on the left. He was the youngest of the three, though at the same time the only one that already wore the beginnings of a beard. The short, patchy set of facial hair did not fully hide his youthful cheeks though. With blonde hair and a surprisingly tall height, he was also the most visibly impressed by the huge hall and Argilac's even grander presence. “Jonathan Errol”, he said. “Second in line to inherit Haystack Hall”

Next, he pointed at the man that had assumed position in the middle of the trio, kneeling there with a natural authority. Tall and broad-shouldered, he was a warrior without a doubt, his tanned skin hinting at many hours spent outside, while the scar above his right eye gave even further evidence for his skill in battle. He met the Storm King's gaze with a haughty one of his own and Argilac had to grin. Oh, if his tongue would be as grandiose as that stare, Argella would tear him apart. “Bernard Buckler”, Baron introduced the young man. “Firstborn of Lord Buckler”

To this, Argilac raised an eyebrow. “A firstborn?”, he asked. “Does you lord father know of the price that is demanded?” Bernard gave him a nod. “My father is well aware of this”, he said. “I have a younger brother and Warrick here has a cousin to continue our lines, should we be chosen” A brief, cocky grin flashed over his face, almost playful in its nature as he looked at Jonathan. “We thought, perhaps a secondborn might be seen as too low for your grace to consider”, he added. “We did not want to insult you, or fair Princess Argella”

As Jonathan gulped, Argilac grinned widely, looking at them in the same way a wolf looked at a sheep. It was true, he called for suitors. Argella' twentieth nameday had passed three months ago and she remained a maiden unmarried. The thought of his princess finding a suitable husband left a sour taste in his mouth, yet he knew his duty and hers. She was to be Queen of the Stormlands and give birth to the next Durrandon king. And for that, she needed a husband as soon as possible. One she loved, that would be what he wished for her, or one she'd learn to love. At least someone who respected her like Leona respected him.

“My father followed the order”, Jonathan added after a moment of pulling himself back together. “You have sent for secondborn sons and here I am” Argilac gave him a nod. “Aye”, he replied. “For you, should my daughter choose one of you sorry lot, will give up your name, to become a Durrandon of Storm's End, Argella's king consort.

Bernard raised an eyebrow a this last word and Argilac's grin got colder. “You have a problem with that, Ser?”, he barked and the young man was quick to shake his head. “None at all”, he answered. “This is just... highly unusual” To this, Argilac nodded. “It all fucking is”, he said, before he turned his attention to the last of the three.

This man was the oldest, though not by much. The shortest of the three, he had black hair and piercing, blue eyes. What made his calm stare slightly unsettling was the difference in colour, as one eye was notably lighter than the other one. “Warrick Fell”, he introduced himself, looking at the king with a lot less enthusiasm than Bernard or Jonathan. That as the full extent of his conversation. He didn't want to be here, that much was clear. And yet he was, doing his duty and in a way, this made Argilac appreciate his presence the most.

“Fell, Buckler and Erroll...”, Argilac mumbled. “You're names are not important, but that makes you only more suited for this. If Argella chooses either of you, I expect no fuss about giving up your names and titles. The last thing I want is for her to have a husband that does not fully stand behind her”

Bernard gave him a nod. “Of course, your grace”, he said. “Though... may I ask, where if the princess? I expected her to grace this meeting with her presence” Argilac's cold smile faded, as a moment of worry hit him. “Argella is currently not at court”, he said. “She has led a group of soldiers to the Reach, where she negotiated as my envoy”

To this, the Buckler boy seemed surprised. “A group of soldiers?”, he asked. “You... you mean like a general? Does that mean she has fought by their side?” The dumbfounded look on his face caused Argilac to grin. As Landry next to him burst into laughter, he couldn't contain himself and chime in. “You have come a long way, Sers”, he said. “And yet, you know nothing of the woman whose heart you are meant to win” He shook his head. “She will be here in a few weeks. Time enough for me to get to know you and for you to get to know her” He sighed. “This is going to be a piece of work”

In this moment, his gaze fell upon the figure standing in the doorframe that led up to the inner quarters of Storm's End. The new maester was almost as tall as Landry and Argilac himself, with the build of a true warrior hidden beneath plain robes, even if the ever-present hint of a gambeson remained right underneath the dark fabric. His silvery-white hair fell onto his shoulders, only half-tamed by a ponytail. His massive beard was almost entirely white, though a single, silver streak was visible, starting beneath the lower lip. His chain was half iron, half valyrian steel, a warrior and a scholar.

Argilac sighed as Maester Qoherys raised a finger, signalling something urgent. “Oh, for fuck sake...”, he growled. “I'm afraid I have to take care of this. Wait here, while Baron will explain a few things to you” He glanced at his trusty friend. Though a few years younger, the knight actually looked older than Argilac, with balding hair, completely grey and a heavily wrinkled face. In return, Baron gave him a nod and Argilac rose from his seat.

“Wait here”, he told Dickon and Beric, as they attempted to accompany him. He approached Qoherys alone. “Maester”, he said and the warrior smiled beneath his impressive beard. “Has there been word from my daughter?” Qoherys shook his head, which filled Argilac with equal parts, relief and dread. “Only the letter she sent from Highgarden”, he replied. “I didn't know you were expecting suitors for the princess”

“Correct”, Argilac growled. “Maester Raymond wrote the letters to their lord fathers. There was no counsel I needed from you in this” Qoherys raised a silvery eyebrow. “And the princess?”, he asked. “Is she informed about this?”

The Storm King smiled coldly, while he and his Maester moved up the stairs and into a more secluded hallway. “Not yet”, he said. “Why are you asking? You plan on court her yourself?” To this, Qoherys laughed, a hearty, genuine laughter and Argilac wished he could see anything more in him than the replacement for a man that had been family.

“Oh, I have heard splendid things about her back at the Citadel. Her beauty mostly, if I may say so”, he replied. “But I'm afraid these days lie behind me. Though, is it wise to accept suitors from such small houses?” Argilac raised an eyebrow. “Whom would you suggest?”

Qoherys shrugged. “I am not sure. Someone powerful and important. If it has to be one of your vassals, why not Estermont. The old lord does not like you, for all I know” Argilac chuckled. “The old lord has been my father-in-law for two years”, he growled. “He has outlived all of his children and is bitter of not being grandfather to the next Storm King. More importantly he is eighty and five. He won't live for much longer and then, his grandson Jarrod will become Lord Estermont. He's a more agreeable type”

“Then why don't you arrange a marriage between Jarrod and Princess Argella? He is unmarried, according to the documents at the Citadel”, Qoherys asked, to which Argilac sighed. “Your documents are outdated”, he spoke. “He has been married for years now, to Mertyns' daughter, Marianne” He shook his head. “House Errol, Fell and Buckler might be less prestigious than Estermont or Tarth or Connington, but they are loyal to a fault. My daughter needs a husband that supports her fully if she wishes to be a successful queen”, he added and narrowed his eyes. “And you need more knowledge on my bannermen if you wish to serve me well”

Qoherys sighed. “Does it have to be one of your bannermen?”, he asked. “Perhaps it is not too late to consider Targaryen's offer, about Ser Orys...” He did not manage to continue. With a sudden burts of anger, Argilac had grabbed the man by the chain around his neck, pressing him against the wall behind him. “Careful now, Qoherys”, he growled. “You're a newcomer here, so I will let this pass exactly once. I believe I made my opinion on the bastard quite clear”

“That you have”, Qoherys replied, after a heavy gulp. Then, he reached into his robe. “Yet... perhaps you should read this. A raven arrived earlier, from Dragonstone” With these words, he handed Argilac a scroll of parchment, which the Storm King carefully unfurled. “It comes as I have expected”, Qoherys spoke. “Such is the will of Syrax”

Argilac's mouth moved slightly as he read the letter and the anger in him grew. “War!”, he barked, his voice sharp and furious. “He has declared war! Demands our submission!” He narrowed his eyes as he noticed the following sentences. “Massey and Bar Emmon have betrayed us for him... Who does he think he is?” His fingers dug into the parchment, heavy enough to tremble.

“The last Dragonlord of Valyria”, Qoherys explained. “I studied his family and their beasts. They are alike, Targaryens and their dragons. Terrifying, mercurial and daring, either mad of mind or brightly genius. And with a hunger for greatness. He will not back down, but perhaps it won't be too late to prevent bloodshed through marriage”

In a fit of rage, Argilac threw the letter onto the ground, before harshly grabbing the maester by the shoulders. “Your kind declared war on my people, Valyrian!”, he barked and Qoherys seemed to cower for a moment, just enough for Argilac to pull himself together. The new maester was not to blame for Raymond's death, neither was he for this insolence that was this declaration of war. And with this realization, he let go of him.

“They are my people as well, your grace”, Qoherys explained calmly, putting a hand onto the iron links of his chain. “I am sworn to serve Storm's End and you, your grace. The best for its people and for you. As such, I have to give such advice. What you do with it is up to you, but I am not one for honeyed words to please your temper”

Despite the anger over this letter, Argilac found it in him to give Qoherys a small, sad grin. “That's what the Archmaester told me when he sent you”, he said and his grin faded. “This dragon king wants a war? He shall get one. Call for the banners! We shall see what good his dragons will be when Durran's fury falls upon him and the wrath of gods!” He shook his head. “And this bastard you bring up, I'll take his head. Maybe the hands of his ambassador hasn't been a message stark enough”

Qoherys sighed. “I am afraid it has been too stark”, he said. “He cites it as one of his reasons for marching to war” Argilac clenched his fists and through a red veil of anger, he knew that Qoherys was right. And yet, a moment of anger could not be undone. What else was there now, but war? For Argilac, there has never been anything else. His life, a string of war and tragedy. Perhaps this one would be both. One final war, a last storm for House Durrandon.

“Durran has braved the gods”, he growled. “Aegon is no god. And though he names them after your fallen deities, neither are his dragons” He approached the window, slamming a hand onto the stony windowsill. “Call for the banners, the lords high and low. Assemble them at Storm's End. Fury against fire. Whose blood, we'll see. But there will be war and we will fight to the last!”

Qoherys gave him a nod, putting a closed fist onto his heart. “To the last”, he confirmed. He turned down the hallway, to his own quarters, as Argilac Durrandon glared out of the window, consumed by silent fury. The storm that raged outside the castle paled, compared to the storm inside its king. And it had only just begun.

End of Interlude VII – The Scion's Fury

End of Interlude – Seven Letters

• And with this, we reach the end of the Interlude! Seven letters have been sent and seven rulers have been shown, alongside their court, major characters in the events to come. Major events have been set up as well, even if I barely managed to scratch on the surface in some cases. The Vale and Dorne for example have much more to offer than what has been shown, as you will quickly see when the story comes back to these locations. For now, I hope you enjoyed the interlude as much as I did! Next to come will be the Prologue, somewhere in the next week, I also plan to release the first part of Chapter 1 of Book 2 on Saturday, to leave you with a part to vote on before heading on my vacation, on the slight chance that I won't be able to release parts during my trip. I'll try my best to avoid this, but cannot promise anything. Anyways, my friends, I know you just answered questions, to my great joy, but I hope you can be convinced to answer these as well, though they are a bit less than the massive amount of questions I asked before. These are all Interlude-specific, even if your opinion might obviously be influenced by events from Book 1 as well in some cases.

Who has been your favourite ruler in the Interlude?

Who has been your least favourite ruler in the Interlude?

Who has been your favourite non-ruler character in the Interlude?

Who has been your least favourite non-ruler character in the Interlude?

Which part of the Interlude has been your favourite?

Which part of the Interlude has been your least favourite?

Has there been anything you disliked?

After reading the Interludes, which region of Westeros are you looking forward for the most in Book 2?

• edited July 2017

Harren the Black!! He's for sure not my favorite person, but the way he's been portrayed in the interlude is so interesting.

Loren, I think. Nothing wrong with him but when compared with the other rulers, he just pales in comparison.

The Hornwood and Dustin that were with Torrhen Stark. I don't know, they seem interesting to me.

The Buckler who's trying to court Argella. He seems very full of himself.

All the new characters in each King's respective court, so much of Book 1 has been in the Reach. It's nice to get introduced to a bunch of characters that have no ties to Raylansfair XD.

I can't really think of anything on the top of my head, really. Maybe a little too much character exposition? But that's the whole point of the interludes anyway, so there really isn't anything.

Nope, these interludes were awesome. And it's so nice to see so many canon houses pop up, I have to admit, I do get a little bothered by all the random lowborn with surnames.

After reading the Interludes, which region of Westeros are you looking forward for the most in Book 2?

Ahhh, now this is difficult. If I were to choose one, I think it'll have to be the Vale? Because the Vale is a region that has always been underused, even in canon imo.

• edited July 2017

I bet you can already guess in my case, but it was definitely Meria Martell, her personality was a refreshing sight when compared to the other kings.

Now this is a tricky one, for I don't think there's even one ruler that I did not like. That said, if I had to choose one ruler as the least favorite, it would be Loren for the simple fact that he is a Lannister :D

I imagine this one is also a no-brainer for you haha, there's no way I would choose anyone else. Ysilla definitely was my favorite non-ruler character, you were spot on with her character in such a way that even if you had asked for a top 3 non-ruler characters I would name her fist, second and third.

Harmund Hoare, no doubt about it. He can manage to be an even bigger asshole than Harren himself.

The Dorne Interlude, definitely. Even though I really liked all the other Interludes, this one was my favorite by a mile and then some. Meria was a joy to have as a PoV, Ysilla was a featured heavily in it, the only one aside from Meria herself to be there from almost the very start to the end and of course the ending was another big reason for my choice here. Man, after the way the Dorne Interlude ended I can barely wait for Book 2 now =)

Hard to say, I really liked all the Interludes so I'll have to plead ignorance here and refuse to answer this one :D

Well, it wouldn't have hurt to have more Ysilla, amirite? All jokes aside, there's absolutely nothing that I disliked, you did an amazing job with all of the Interludes :)

Right after reading the Interlude? then definitely Dorne. Man, I'm so glad that Dorne has been pulled to Chapter 1 that I can almost sing, though I'll have refrain from doing so, I wouldn't want to wake the neighbors and all.

And with this, we reach the end of the Interlude! Seven letters have been sent and seven rulers have been shown, alongside their court, majo

• Favorite ruler? Oh, it's Sharra, without a doubt. I really liked her almost immediately likeable but also sympathetic.

Least favorite ruler? If I had to pick one I'd say Meria. Nothing wrong with her, just my least favorite and she didn't get me interested like the rest of them.

Favorite Non- ruler? I want to say Malina but I'm sure you know I'm a bit biased. :p So if not Malina, then I'll say Maester Qoherys. We saw him only briefly but he very quickly captured my interest.

Most looking forward to? The North, by far! One reason being Malina but another is that I'm a true Northener by heart and we haven't truly experienced the North in the story (Unless you count a few Northern characters)

And with this, we reach the end of the Interlude! Seven letters have been sent and seven rulers have been shown, alongside their court, majo

• edited July 2017

In the end all the letters reach their destination

RT:

• And this time,like with the Hoare PoV,we start the interlude in a different way that I expect!Read of Argillac visit of the graves of his loved ones was interesting and sad at the same time
    • This time you introduced no members of the royal family(bwahah) so let's start with Argella suitors:they seems an interesting trio and I'm curious to see the rest of their family
    • Then we have the maester,I really like his outfit and I found funny that he is of valyrian origin;sadly my opinion of him decrease when he give that suggestion to the Storm King
    • About the knight I have nothing interesting to say for now
    • Welcome back Baron!Long time no see!
    • The only character that seems to be mentioned this time is Jarrod,another possible suitor?
    • I'm really curious to read how you will continue the Stormlands storyline!

Here I will answer your questions

This is a hard one,every ruler had something interesting to show in their part and for that reason I enjoy them all

No one but if I really have to give a name is Aegon Targaryen!That prick go around sending threatening letters to all the rulers!

Since I am impartial I'm not going to say my character (even if I Iike the introduction of it in the story) so,while it's too soon to have a precise opinion of all the new characters introduced in the interlude, I will say that the first three names that I can think of is Lord Umber,Loren squire and Nymeria's sister.

While as I have already said it's to soon to have a precise opinion I feel myself disappointed that Argillac maester give him such a dumb suggestion

I shall say any part where we see the ruler in a different light (Argillac visit the graves of his loved ones,Harren 'help' Harlan to learn how to walk with an injured leg,Sharra comfort her son etc.) + Loren and Reyne talk

My least favorite?I will like always answer in the next question

While I don't dislike the introduction of many characters in the interludes(and I found it very helpful since it make only more interesting see the characters appear inside the story) I found worrying how in some parts there is too many "bastards/people of other countries" and too few "major Noble houses" (except the Stark PoV);however it is a problem that still can be solved (for example after Argillac PoV it seems that you probably need some Noble Houses of higher relevance and,not for nothing,you have write the PoV in a way that make it possible add them in second moment)

The region of Westeros that I look forward the most is the Vale (expecially because of the many interesting storylines) but I know that I will like see more of the Stormlands and Dorne.

In the end I want to give you my thanks for this interlude Liquid!I really enjoy read from the PoV's of the rulers and it make me even more hyped for the beginning of the next book!

• Who has been your favourite ruler in the Interlude?
    Uh I think it was Harren.He was the best for sure

I has to be Meria and for me

It is Allaryn

Whole Interlude was great

There is nothing to dislike about the interludes because I mentioned earlier that the whole interlude was awesome

After reading the interlude,Mostly I want too see the Dorne and the vale will be secondary

• This was a great part. We all know Argilac to be a great warrior and overall badass, so it was pretty neat that this part largely concentrated on other aspects of the character. Those being his grief for the family he has lost, and the love and pride he has for Argella. I'm quite interested to see what are the Storm Princess' thoughts on these suitors though.

Oh, and this new maester was pretty interesting addition as well. He clearly has some Valyrian heritage, I'm guessing he is originally either Velaryon or Celtigar? Not sure how much we'll see him in the future, but I imagine his interactions with Argilac will be quite interesting throughout the war. Ah, I'm hyped for Stormlands :p

Forum of Thrones – Interlude VII Seven Letters – The Scion's Fury Argilac A storm was raging outside of the castle and in the mind

It's a tie between Meria and Argilac. Meria has such a distinctive personality, which was a breath of fresh air, and I can't wait to see her again in Book 2. Argilac I was already hyped for, but diving more into his thoughts about the loved ones he has lost over the years, as well as his badass boast at the end were great. That said, all the other rulers were very enjoyable to read as well, and I'm looking forward to seeing them all in Book 2! =)

Well, like I just said, they were all enjoyable to read, but I guess it's a tie between Harren and Loren.

Ah, there were so many interesting characters introduced in these parts that it's hard to say :D Well, I'll start of by mentioning Sarina Manwoody, but obviously I'm very biased there. Aside from her, the first character that pops into my mind is Malina Karstark - she really made an impression on me in Torrhen's interlude. Then there was Ynilla Sand who seemed like a nice character, Roffe Umber who was everything I'd expect from an Umber, and Haragard was pretty interesting (Black Harren has a genuine friend! Who would've guessed :D ).

Hmm, I suppose the easy answer here is Mullendore, Petyr and Harmund :D Those three aside, there weren't really any newly introduced characters that managed to make bad enough impression to make me hate them. Well, I suppose Elia Aspys seemed like a pretty insufferable bitch :D

Hmm, they were all great, but I'd say Mern, Meria and Argilac had the best parts. Mern showed himself to be a capable and reasonable ruler, and his part had a pretty big impact on the Raylansfair storyline. Meria's part made me very hyped for the Dorne, and she just carried that part with her charisma and personality. And finally, I loved Argilac's part for how it showed us more of the Storm King and gave him depth as a character.

Probably Loren's part. It was nice to see a battle, and it did show us some interesting sides to this character, his ruthlessness and lack of mercy towards his enemies for example. That said, after all these parts he feels the most distant of the rulers to me, whereas others (even Harren) managed to make me connect with their motives a bit more. Still, not a bad part by any means :)

No, there wasn't really anything I outright disliked in these parts :)

I guess it has to be Dorne, but I do have a bit of a bias there, so I'll also mention the Vale and Stormlands. Vale for the interesting political situation that was established in Sharra's part, and Stormland's for more development to the Durrandon family.

• the first character that pops into my mind is Malina Karstark

#TEAMKARSTARK

Who has been your favourite ruler in the Interlude? It's a tie between Meria and Argilac. Meria has such a distinctive personality, which

• Is Maester Qoherys related to Quenton Qoherys?, because the looks are quite similar.

Pretty interesting that we got to know this side of Argilac, who clearly loved his second wife and sons.

Forum of Thrones – Interlude VII Seven Letters – The Scion's Fury Argilac A storm was raging outside of the castle and in the mind

• Finally.

“There's not a day I don't miss you”, he mumbled. “All of you” His fingers wandered over Daeria's features, gently touching a stony cheek. “There's not a day where I don't regret that you're not here anymore”, he continued. “And Gella... you should see her, my love. She's so much like you”

So tragic. So humanizing.

Argilac shook his head. “It's raining”, he remarked, as he stepped out into the courtyard, the water washing away the tears from his cheeks. He sent a furious glare up the skies as a flash of lightning illuminated it, hoping that some god would see it. Durran Godsgrief he was not, but after what they had taken from him, they were his enemies. His ancestors, yes, but their scion had nothing but hate for them. They replied with a fearsome roll of thunder.

Man I can't wait for the Last Storm.

In this moment, his gaze fell upon the figure standing in the doorframe that led up to the inner quarters of Storm's End. The new maester was almost as tall as Landry and Argilac himself, with the build of a true warrior hidden beneath plain robes, even if the ever-present hint of a gambeson remained right underneath the dark fabric. His silvery-white hair fell onto his shoulders, only half-tamed by a ponytail. His massive beard was almost entirely white, though a single, silver streak was visible, starting beneath the lower lip. His chain was half iron, half valyrian steel, a warrior and a scholar.

Qoherys. I had been curious about that name for a long, long time. Obviously Valyrian, very interesting, very interesting. I have a suspicion he has some old allegiances left.

That's all the Letters. They've been quite pleasing to read, introducing some hopefully key characters. Book 2 is coming. It will very exciting. All hail the Donnel.

• This was a great part. We all know Argilac to be a great warrior and overall badass, so it was pretty neat that this part largely concentrated on other aspects of the character. Those being his grief for the family he has lost, and the love and pride he has for Argella. I'm quite interested to see what are the Storm Princess' thoughts on these suitors though.

Aye, so far I mostly put emphasis on Argilac the warrior king and on his less likable traits, namely his heavy anger issues, but he has more depth than that, being a loving father for Argella and continuing to grief for his wife (wives actually, in his own way) and sons. We'll get to see more of each side of him in Book 2, but this served as a nice chance for me to show his most likable and relatable qualities. As for Argella, it's safe to say she won't be thrilled. Marriage is not exactly something she looks forward for and unlike Argilac, who is wise enough to value loyalty over an important name, she might be even less happy about three of her suitors coming from comparably lower-tier houses. At the same time, she knows if she wants to further the Durrandon line she has to eventually marry someone and give birth to his sons.

Oh, and this new maester was pretty interesting addition as well. He clearly has some Valyrian heritage, I'm guessing he is originally either Velaryon or Celtigar? Not sure how much we'll see him in the future, but I imagine his interactions with Argilac will be quite interesting throughout the war. Ah, I'm hyped for Stormlands :p

Ah, Qoherys is a Valyrian for sure, something Argilac pointed out, which does not exactly help with making him trust and like the man. And I will confirm, he will be a rather big character in the coming Storm's End parts, having interactions with Argilac, Argella and Drent as well (who, as the Storm's End PoV, will continue to witness some key moments there). It's a good thing to be hyped for the Stormlands, because honestly, so am I =)

This was a great part. We all know Argilac to be a great warrior and overall badass, so it was pretty neat that this part largely concentrat

• Is Maester Qoherys related to Quenton Qoherys?, because the looks are quite similar.

Hehe, if there is a relation, that'd make his birth name Moon Moon Qoherys Qoherys :D At the same time, the person who submitted him has put some thought into this situation and has given an explanation for why he is named after a knightly house. That being said, there are actual cases of children being named after noble houses, mostly by butt-kissing parents. Lord Royce Coldwater, a veeery minor mentioned-only character from the books comes to mind there. Maester Qoherys has an interesting backstory, which will be revealed in Book 2.

Pretty interesting that we got to know this side of Argilac, who clearly loved his second wife and sons.

Oh yes, Argilac loved them genuinely. As much as he is a harsh and hot-tempered man, Daeria completed him, made him calmer. Her death has filled him with quite some bitterness, if not for Argella surviving the tragedy that claimed the rest of her family. He is missing them all and it is partially out of this still-present love that he refuses to take another wife and father other sons. He cannot bear the thought of replacing them.

Edinosaur23 posted: »

Is Maester Qoherys related to Quenton Qoherys?, because the looks are quite similar. Pretty interesting that we got to know this side of Argilac, who clearly loved his second wife and sons.

• Man I can't wait for the Last Storm.

It's definitely still some time away. Taking some liberties, it might be even farther away than you potentially think. At the same time, it should be a highlight, one of the moments I look forward for and it is almost unbearable to think of how long I will take until I reach this moment. But it will come.

Qoherys. I had been curious about that name for a long, long time. Obviously Valyrian, very interesting, very interesting. I have a suspicion he has some old allegiances left.

Indeed, he is Valyrian, therefore in some capacity related to the same people invading the continent right now. At the same time, as a Maester this puts him into a bit of a conflict. His advice to maybe seek a solution without bloodshed shows that he is not quite happy with the thought of war between his people by birth and his people by choice.

That's all the Letters. They've been quite pleasing to read, introducing some hopefully key characters. Book 2 is coming. It will very exciting. All hail the Donnel.

Book 2 is coming very soon, yes. The prologue should be out on Wednesday and the first part on Saturday, just before I leave for my vacation. And with a bit of luck, it won't even have to pause during August. I know I am heavily excited for the things to come. Among them will be the Donnel, all hail, and a lot more :)

Finally. “There's not a day I don't miss you”, he mumbled. “All of you” His fingers wandered over Daeria's features, gently touching a

• I bet you can already guess in my case, but it was definitely Meria Martell, her personality was a refreshing sight when compared to the other kings.

A refreshing sigh. Took me a moment to notice that, well played :D But yes, I expected you to be particularly fond of Meria here. She's definitely been the most unique of the kings and I am glad that she appears to be largely well-liked. Shows me I did something right when it comes to her :)

Now this is a tricky one, for I don't think there's even one ruler that I did not like. That said, if I had to choose one ruler as the least favorite, it would be Loren for the simple fact that he is a Lannister :D

As good a reason as any other! Loren is a Lannister through and through, therefore expressing their best and worst qualities. He might not share Cersei's absolute madness or be quite as ruthless as Tywin, but he's definitely one of the most grey of the rulers, where I think his likable an non-likable traits are quite balanced.

I imagine this one is also a no-brainer for you haha, there's no way I would choose anyone else. Ysilla definitely was my favorite non-ruler character, you were spot on with her character in such a way that even if you had asked for a top 3 non-ruler characters I would name her fist, second and third.

I definitely can relate to that from experiences of my own. And I certainly loved writing Ysilla. In fact, as I have hinted at before, I loved writing her so much that I quickly made plans to give her more importance than I previously planned. I kind of fear I might have to do the same for Theodan once I get to write him, because both of them together will be quite a lot of fun.

Harmund Hoare, no doubt about it. He can manage to be an even bigger asshole than Harren himself.

Oh yes, he undoubtedly is way worse than his father in any aspect. As I have said before, he is a wizard, able to make just about any character look sympathetic when compared to him. Harren is hard to like, but with Harmund, I think it is downright impossible, unless it's rooting for the clear bad guy for once.

The Dorne Interlude, definitely. Even though I really liked all the other Interludes, this one was my favorite by a mile and then some. Meria was a joy to have as a PoV, Ysilla was a featured heavily in it, the only one aside from Meria herself to be there from almost the very start to the end and of course the ending was another big reason for my choice here. Man, after the way the Dorne Interlude ended I can barely wait for Book 2 now =)

Ah, it fully served its purpose then! I myself am hyped for Book 2 Dorne, especially as the characters there truly deserve more screentime to be fleshed out. We'll see more of them (literally even) and I am glad there is some hype for the region. Dorne will be complex and certainly not the easiest region, but with the characters I have received for there, I think I'm up for the task.

Well, it wouldn't have hurt to have more Ysilla, amirite? All jokes aside, there's absolutely nothing that I disliked, you did an amazing job with all of the Interludes :)

More Ysilla you say? Hehe, be careful what you wish for >:) Nah, I can't even kid you there, more Ysilla is certainly not a bad thing, so it shall happen. The Interlude has only been a teaser for each character and I doubt I won't be able to develop them all, her included, in quite exciting directions in Book 2.

Right after reading the Interlude? then definitely Dorne. Man, I'm so glad that Dorne has been pulled to Chapter 1 that I can almost sing, though I'll have refrain from doing so, I wouldn't want to wake the neighbors and all.

And the more I think about it, the better a decision it is. The Vale storyline does need some additional polishing, whereas the first Dorne chapter is more straightforward. Exciting for sure, but the Vale needs to be treated more carefully so that I don't make things harder for me in the future. Therefore, as much as I wish to show the Vale characters, I think putting more thought into that storyline will be for the best for all of them. It also means I get to include another Dorne chapter to help me develop a bunch of interesting characters.

Who has been your favourite ruler in the Interlude? I bet you can already guess in my case, but it was definitely Meria Martell, her

• Oh, it's Sharra, without a doubt. I really liked her almost immediately likeable but also sympathetic.

Ah, sweet. Sharra has been one of the rulers I was the least sure about while writing and while I thought Mern, Harren or Argilac would at the very least be anticipated reads, I was the most pleased with the positive reaction Sharra caused, as it was the most surprising for me.

If I had to pick one I'd say Meria. Nothing wrong with her, just my least favorite and she didn't get me interested like the rest of them.

Perfectly understandable. Meria is definitely not a character for everyone and the region she introduced has been the least represented in the story so far. I do hope though that she and Dorne will catch your interest down the road :)

I want to say Malina but I'm sure you know I'm a bit biased. :p So if not Malina, then I'll say Maester Qoherys. We saw him only briefly but he very quickly captured my interest.

Well, say Malina. I'd be a hypocrite for judging you =) She'll be nice in Book 2 for sure. Same goes for Qoherys. The newest character to be introduced and I am happy he managed to gain your interest already. I consider him to be among the most fascinating characters from the Interlude in terms of depth, so there is a lot to look forward for.

AgentZ46 posted: »

Favorite ruler? Oh, it's Sharra, without a doubt. I really liked her almost immediately likeable but also sympathetic. Least favorite rul

I think I'm going to go with Mern AND Lorn. I love seeing that start of their Alliance and well Mern I feel is just a great King overall. Getting inside his head a bit was really cool, and it's obvious he and Lorn will do anything to protect their people.

I think it would be Torrhen and only because he was so exactly how I expected him to be. He's still a great character but I feel the others were a BIT more engaging and I'm sure that will change over time.

Maester Qohorys, I love the idea of this Valyrian having to advise the Storm King in the upcoming conflict and the banter between Argillac and him was rather hilarious. I like that this Maester isn't afraid to talk to someone this powerful and shrink away.

Harmund for sure. But he has his uses as stated as a military general. I look forward to seeing his death though. :D

Mern. For reasons. No, but I REALLY liked his entrance, I liked his viewpoints on his people of Raylainsfair, and I love how he boxed the traitors alliance into a little corner with a very smart move.

I would say that it was again with Torrhen. I loved the glimpse of the North Court but I'm more excited about seeing it outside of the Interlude.

Not even in the slightest. Amazing work as always Liquid!

The reach 100% for Kasyn reasons, and for the fact that it's a central place for the conflict upcoming. I think the Reach overall is going to have a ton of action and progress the story quite a bit. Plus, Kasyn. But I have to be honest, I can't WAIT for some Essos stories.

• And this time,like with the Hoare PoV,we start the interlude in a different way that I expect!Read of Argillac visit of the graves of his loved ones was interesting and sad at the same time

Another thing I wanted to do here, I wanted to do the opposite of what you might expect. Just like giving Harren the Black a sympathetic scene, I wanted to give Argilac the Arrogant a moment of sombre reflection. That and of course the fact that it hopefully made for an emotional scene.

This time you introduced no members of the royal family(bwahah) so let's start with Argella suitors:they seems an interesting trio and I'm curious to see the rest of their family

Just imagine I would have. The story would surely be for the better with Zombie!Davos Durrandon, because everything is better with zombies. I cannot say how much I will show of the families of the three suitors, but they themselves will be a notable presence at court by the time Drent and Argella make their return.

Then we have the maester,I really like his outfit and I found funny that he is of valyrian origin;sadly my opinion of him decrease when he give that suggestion to the Storm King

Qoherys is quite unique for a Maester. He's equal parts warrior and scholar, as well as Valyrian and a truly unique combination of traits. Surely, his suggestion has not been the wisest, but I'll get to that below.

About the knight I have nothing interesting to say for now

Landry is one character I had to little room to show in this part. I consider him a great character, but one that needs a bit of room to shine. This room he shall get in Book 2, where is role as the captain of the royal guards will obviously make him a very important presence at Storm's End.

Welcome back Baron!Long time no see!

And if the writing gods are merciful, I will be able to give him more of a role this time as well! Baron in Book 1 has been a minor character in every sense of the word, but Book 2 Baron might get better chances. In fact, I already know one central role for him.

The only character that seems to be mentioned this time is Jarrod,another possible suitor?

Nope, he is not a suitor. Qoherys wondered about this, but Argilac corrected him quite quickly. Jarrod is the grandson of Lord Estermont, whose daughter Leona was Argilac's first wife. The Estermont's have a rather strained relationship to Storm's End, so this marriage was an attempt to fix this and when it failed due to Leona's death by childbirth, things only turned more sour, even if Argilac considers Jarrod a reasonable man and much less bitter than the near ancient Lord Estermont. What truly rules him out as a suitor is the fact that he is already married. His wife, Marianne, is the daughter of Lord Mertyns, another Durrandon bannerman. So, Jarrod cannot be a suitor.

I'm really curious to read how you will continue the Stormlands storyline!

Ah, we will see some corners of the Stormlands that should make for a very interesting read. Main locations will be Storm's End and the Dornish Marches, two locations I am extremely excited about, especially when it comes to show the characters I received from there.

No one but if I really have to give a name is Aegon Targaryen!That prick go around sending threatening letters to all the rulers!

I want to make sure here, Aegon is a viable choice to pick as well. I like it, how similarly to Dany in the show, there are some who root for Aegon, while others really don't like him. I am a bit on the fence. On the one hand, he is a massive threat to dozens of characters I have grown fond of. On the other hand, well, he's going to be such a delight to write. No matter what though, him sending these letters has not been a very nice move. I'd even say, in Westerosi culture, this is considered a dickmove.

While as I have already said it's to soon to have a precise opinion I feel myself disappointed that Argillac maester give him such a dumb suggestion

Haha, the suggestion itself has definitely not been the best and smartest anyone ever made. Qoherys has reasons of his own for this though and he genuinely thinks that this would still be a possible way to avoid the war. Of course, he should have known that Argilac thinks very differently on the matter.

While I don't dislike the introduction of many characters in the interludes(and I found it very helpful since it make only more interesting see the characters appear inside the story) I found worrying how in some parts there is too many "bastards/people of other countries" and too few "major Noble houses" (except the Stark PoV);however it is a problem that still can be solved (for example after Argillac PoV it seems that you probably need some Noble Houses of higher relevance and,not for nothing,you have write the PoV in a way that make it possible add them in second moment)

Hm, I am not really sure I understand this part of your criticism. As a matter of fact, the parts have mostly focussed on nobles from the different regions. Mern had his own family, Devrin Oakheart, Petyr and Maron. Sharra had the Moore twins, her cousin Helen, Ursula, Ryman Redfort. Harren... well, admittedly Harren had less interaction with nobles, but for the reason of giving him something different to do. Torrhen, obviously, while Loren also only interacted with big names such as Reyne or Swyft, or semi-big names such as Turnberry. Meria had a more diverse court, surely, but that is not due to a lack of highborn characters from that region, but simply because that court is unusual. If I wanted to focus on more dornish nobility, I could have found a way to fully include the Manwoody's or Allyrion's, though that would have come at the cost of others. Argilac at last, there are some big names from the Stormlands submitted, that's really not the problem. I deliberately focussed on the smaller houses in his part, due to his reservations of marrying Argella into a larger house of questionable loyalty and to give them some screentime, knowing fully well that the bigger names have more chances in the future ;)

In the end I want to give you my thanks for this interlude Liquid!I really enjoy read from the PoV's of the rulers and it make me even more hyped for the beginning of the next book!

Really, I am so happy the Interlude has been received so positively. The best is yet to come, for sure, but some big things have been set up here. Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts :)

In the end all the letters reach their destination RT: * And this time,like with the Hoare PoV,we start the interlude in a different

Sign in to comment in this discussion.