Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• [Assure him everything is alright]

Willfred Once again, Willfred was dreaming. It was a dream of power and blood. He himself was just a presence in this dream, a fragment,

• [Tell Roger about the dream]
    Same reason as Edinousour23,Kind a strange thing

Willfred Once again, Willfred was dreaming. It was a dream of power and blood. He himself was just a presence in this dream, a fragment,

• Oh wow, this ancient artefact seems to have much more powerful magic than I anticipated. I didn't expect it to have had such a big impact on Willfred over such a short time, but it's definitely made me even more interested to find out what exactly is the deal with this thing. And what kind of plans did Edward have for it? Heh, I think I mentioned some time ago that this box gives me the One Ring kind of vibes, and this part certainly confirmed that feeling :D

What comes to the vision itself... It's certainly interesting, especially the part about the man in white using some kind of blood magic. I'm really interested to see how will all this connect with the present story, and what exactly is Willfred's role in all this. So many questions :D

[Tell Roger about the dream] Most likely Roger will think his nephew is just going through some stress and having bad dreams, but imo that's better than Willfred trying to act like everyhting's just fine. It's not like he can keep these things to himself forever anyways, if he intends to keep this box.

• edited September 2017

[Assure him everything is alright] It's not like telling Roger is going to be much of a help anyway. The way I see it, at worst Roger will think that Willfred had a nightmare and was too much of a weakling to handle it on his own. At best he'll just give him a pat on the back, tell him it was just a bad dream and that everything will be alright. I feel like it would be best to keep this to ourselves for now, at least until we have a better understanding of the situation.

• edited September 2017

[Tell Roger about the dream] Some asshole came to Wilfred in a dream and offered him power! I believe this is cause for concern. :p
    There's something about that box I don't like. Edward Anturion wants it so that in itself should be cause to believe it's evil. XD

• That object Willfred encountered, that is what has to do be doing this. White chieftain, strange. Strange indeed. This scene made me think of the desert nightmare scene in Batman v. Superman, even though, well, there's particularly nothing besides the very base element present.

Hehe, I can confirm that was not an inspiration of mine. Never been much of a fan of Batman v Superman, but that upcoming Book 3 scene, in which Garthon and Leonard team up when they realize that their mother had the same first name is sort of inspired by it. Jokes aside, this object is indeed part of why Willfred has gained these uncomfortable dreams, yes. More about the reason why is going to be shown in the coming chapters, after I wisely realized that it might not be all too bright to reveal it all in this part.

I see Helenys is proving useful. I am curious to see what she's up too.

Oh, she certainly is useful. What remains to be seen is if she's useful for Willfred or mostly for herself. So far however, she has uncovered some interesting snippets about Mullendore, with the extent of her current knowledge being shown later in Willfred's storyline this chapter.

[Assure him everything is alright] He's not going to know how to do anything. Just let's deal with the weird dreams on our own. That obje

• Oh wow, this ancient artefact seems to have much more powerful magic than I anticipated. I didn't expect it to have had such a big impact on Willfred over such a short time, but it's definitely made me even more interested to find out what exactly is the deal with this thing. And what kind of plans did Edward have for it? Heh, I think I mentioned some time ago that this box gives me the One Ring kind of vibes, and this part certainly confirmed that feeling :D

One Ring vibes are not misplaced here and in fact, I am even a tiny bit inspired by the effect the ring has on its bearers. This might not be the all-powerful evil artifact of doom, but it is having a negative influence on Willfred, that much is clear. And given at what speed things have gotten worse for him, it has to be a very powerful artifact, or at least something that seems very powerful. Edward had big plans for it and well, we'll learn in Alys' storyline just how much this has thrown him back.

What comes to the vision itself... It's certainly interesting, especially the part about the man in white using some kind of blood magic. I'm really interested to see how will all this connect with the present story, and what exactly is Willfred's role in all this. So many questions :D

Ah, glad I managed to write an interesting scene there. It was the main reason for me having to rewrite this part, as the original draft not only revealed far too much, but also felt ultimately bland. So, more description, more mystery and me having the opportunity to show more of these dream visions later on. I hope to make them a bit of a recurring element in Willfred's storyline =)

Oh wow, this ancient artefact seems to have much more powerful magic than I anticipated. I didn't expect it to have had such a big impact on

• There's something about that box I don't like. Edward Anturion wants it so that in itself should be cause to believe it's evil. XD

At the very least, it is possible to use it for evil. Edward's goals, as vaguely defined as they are so far, are definitely not well-intentioned and this box was a key part of his schemes up until this point, so I can see how you get the impression this object is evil. And well, there's the fact that it is invading Willfred's dreams and is having a very negative influence on him so far, that's clearly a bad thing. I can confirm though, the poor box itself is completely innocent. The bone inside is what should concern you ;)

AgentZ46 posted: »

[Tell Roger about the dream] Some asshole came to Wilfred in a dream and offered him power! I believe this is cause for concern. There's s

Well, considering what happened when retrieving the box, it's not surprising that the box has some weird voodoo magic.

• [Assure him everything is alright] Everything is fine,everything is alright!

RT:

• A really cool dream sequence start Willfred PoV!I'm curious to see if it will be the only one
    • And we see today the power of the mystical dagger!But it will be it only function?
    • Congratulation for the two survived Rock soldier and their upgrade to submitted characters!
    • I'm curious to see what Roger want...I hope that is not again something stupid like his plan in the previous chapter(even if he will say obviously in the next part something against Tallian..I know he can't resist the temptation!)

• POLL!

http://www.strawpoll.me/13847460

Been a while since I made a poll. This relates to Wilfred's latest part and if we think it'd be a good idea to accept the power offered to him in his dream.

• I voted against using the power. "Power is the worst curse one can wish upon a man. For not only does it attract the worse of men, but it corrupts the best of men."

POLL! http://www.strawpoll.me/13847460 Been a while since I made a poll. This relates to Wilfred's latest part and if we think it'd be a good idea to accept the power offered to him in his dream.

• edited September 2017

I just came to an idea, in Willfred's dream it's mentioned that the dagger is made of few different parts, few different bones. Willfred has a part of it, part of a hilt. Maybe it's like a lego, but you need to find all parts, assemble it, and you have imense power and blood magic capabilities like that guy in his dream had.

This is really random idea and seems like a far shot and pretty big fantasy, but on the other hand it seems weirdly possible.

• Voted against using the power, just by what we know so far. In the end though, it's impossible to know what I'd choose in the "real" situation, because we don't know what kind of context would such a choice have. Would it be "use the power or die"? Or "use the power or let your family/friend/lover die"? Anyway, I think Willfred at the very least shouldn't use the power (whatever that power actually is) just for the sake of having more power.

POLL! http://www.strawpoll.me/13847460 Been a while since I made a poll. This relates to Wilfred's latest part and if we think it'd be a good idea to accept the power offered to him in his dream.

• Makes sense to me. Two parts for the hilt, and two different ones for the blade. I wouldn't be surprised if these other pieces start coming up in the other storylines. Heck, for all we know Edward could have the other three parts already gathered.

I just came to an idea, in Willfred's dream it's mentioned that the dagger is made of few different parts, few different bones. Willfred has

• A really cool dream sequence start Willfred PoV!I'm curious to see if it will be the only one

Ah, I can confirm it won't be the only one. Him learning about this artifact has only just begun. Though at the same time, I try not to overdo things here, only sparsely featuring these dreams, so that the novelty factor won't wear off. This is another thing that was cut, as the original beginning of this part featured several dreams in a more rapid succession instead of one in more detail.

And we see today the power of the mystical dagger!But it will be it only function?

You know, if this would be a Michael Bay screenplay, it could probably transform into a dinosaur, but alas, it will remain a dagger, I am afraid. But it has a couple useful functions, more of which will be shown in later dreams. Anturion himself might also give you an idea on it.

Congratulation for the two survived Rock soldier and their upgrade to submitted characters!

Yeah, that is something I am very happy with. Last time they were featured, there were no Rock soldiers submitted to fit the role, but since then, I had to nice submissions who fit perfectly, so I finally got to flesh out the remaining soldiers under Willfred's command. I already feel bad for making the dozen men accompanying him mere background extras, so now he can finally interact with more characters than just Roger and Tallian.

I'm curious to see what Roger want...I hope that is not again something stupid like his plan in the previous chapter(even if he will say obviously in the next part something against Tallian..I know he can't resist the temptation!)

Oh no, this time it is much more stupid ;) He is in a problematic situation though, you know. The thing is, he hasn't said anything against Tallian in two minutes, so he's getting some serious discomfort right there, the poor man. But well, due to Willfred's decision in the last chapter, Tallian himself is in a pretty powerful situation compared to his rival, so Roger's influence is not as strong as it used to be.

[Assure him everything is alright] Everything is fine,everything is alright! RT: * A really cool dream sequence start Willfred PoV!I

• Hm, an interesting thought. What I can confirm is that the dagger definitely needs to be complete to do its magic, but there might be other prerequisites required to fully use its potential. That guy could have very well been a blood mage already, though the dagger surely has some sort of a function in this direction, especially with how badly Edward Anturion wanted it.

I just came to an idea, in Willfred's dream it's mentioned that the dagger is made of few different parts, few different bones. Willfred has

• Ah, I am always happy to see a new poll :) This is a very interesting question, I am pleased to see the votes are so equally distributed, though I am also amazed that way more people have voted on the poll than on the newest part itself :D As for my own vote, I surely cannot say what option I picked, but I can reveal that this was one of the few polls I voted on where I had a hard time choosing despite me knowing how things will continue. There's definitely arguments in favour of both cases here, though I think some of you will eventually change their minds when it comes to the potential of the dagger as well as the potential cost.

• The Voting is closed!

Willfred is going to assure Roger that everything is alright

Well, that is surely a surprise, very interesting. I would have guessed a majority of you to tell Roger about these dreams, on account of the common zombie movie trope that the one who hides the bad stuff is usually the one to drag down the entire group. Sure, FoT is not a zombie story (at least not yet), Willfred was not bitten, but the concept might be similar. Without taking into account my knowledge of what is going to happen, that would have been my choice. Or maybe Roger wouldn't have believed him and would have questioned his capability as a leader, considering the stress he seems to be in. That can happen as well and you brought up this surprisingly good argument. Well, we will see, though clearly, Willfred is too tired to make Roger actually believe him.

The next part should be out later today. I had a rather busy weekend, so it not only took me a day longer to close the voting, I also have way less written than I usually do when I close it. However, I still hope to finish this part today and I definitely don't want to leave the voting open for longer. So, this next part will be the first Drent part for Book 2, featuring the Stormlander's return to Storm's End, after quite a long journey. I am excited, as Drent has one of my favourite Book 2 storylines, at least if everything works out as I plan. Anyways, expect this part to be out later today. As in, much later, but still today.

• Just thought of the greatest character possible --- even beyond the Donnel.

A blind AND deaf hermit from, get this, Ulos. Also, he doesn't speak Common Tongue (like that was a problem).

• Huh... with that guy I'd actually be curious how he'd even manage to survive in Westeros. Or anywhere that is not Ulos, really. Or even on Ulos, unless he has a fanatically devout group of followers to support him with the most basic needs. So... yeah, I doubt people who are blind and deaf and practically mute by Westerosi standards could survive for long.

Just thought of the greatest character possible --- even beyond the Donnel. A blind AND deaf hermit from, get this, Ulos. Also, he doesn't speak Common Tongue (like that was a problem).

• Drent

At the sight of the familiar banners in the distance, Drent sighed with relief. It had been a long journey, a curious one, filled with pain and loss. That much he expected when he left the castle, though it turned out to be much more than he had ever thought.

Storm's End was lying in the evening sun, Shipbreaker Bay unusually calm behind it. A more superstitious lot would say that the land itself welcomed its future queen back. The men in the castle did for certain, given how a raven was sent to them two days ago. And there it was, the ancient, sturdy building, one of the largest fortresses in Westeros and surely the strongest. Never had it fallen in all of its ten thousand years and never would it.

Drent glanced at the princess to his right. Together with Emphryus, he was flanking her, each outfitted with a fine horse. Argella herself was sitting on a white mare, herself clad in yellow, a black cloak covering her shoulders and back. An odd expression was on her face, a mixture of relief and disappointment.

“What are you thinking, my princess?”, Drent asked and she briefly glanced at him. “I feel like I failed him”, she replied and he raised an eyebrow. It was the first time she had spoken about the events in Raylansfair, right towards the end of their journey.

“Whom?”, he asked and she sighed. “Father”, she answered. “Lucas. Durran Godsgrief himself, in a way” She shook her head and her eyes widened with sudden dread. “I just... failed, did I not? Gods, I have to tell him” Drent gave her a smile that was meant to be reassuring, though he did not manage to cheer her up by much. “You did not fail anyone”, he assured her. “Your father, he will be proud once you tell him. You brought honour to your family”

Argella rolled her eyes. “Nice of you to say this”, she answered. “But what did I achieve? Getting a third of my men killed? Losing the city I was sent to take? Exposing my own father as either a fool or a cheat?” She paused and now, she clenched her fists. “Getting my first knight killed? Both of them, actually. Lucas pretty much walked to his own death and I couldn't stop him. Jax was the most loyal man I have ever known and he took a bolt for me”

“Wouldn't be much of a loyal man if he wouldn't have done it”, Emphryus brought up. “And the bastard, he knew what he was doing. Ain't your fault” Argella sighed. “Then why does it feel like I could have done more?”, she asked. “Why does it feel like I failed them?” Clearly not expecting an answer to this, she instead focussed back onto the castle that had been her childhood home.

“It seems smaller than I remember”, she spoke. “It's... unexpected. You always hear this sort of thing, but have I truly been gone for that long? It has been less than half a year, barely five months” A tired smile formed on her face, though it was barely an honest one. “Ah, the things I'd do for a hot bath”

Drent smiled at her, maybe a little longer than would have been appropriate. She noticed it, raising an eyebrow at him. “Maybe we all changed a little”, he replied to her and she sighed, her smile fading before she gave him a nod. “That is what concerns me”, she admitted, as she began stirring her horse down the hill and onto the plains in front of Storm's End. Drent followed quickly, as did Emphryus, who kept in the saddle remarkably well considering his wounds.

“If I have changed, does the same apply to my father?”, she brought up. “How has he changed? Or the others, are they still the same?” At this sentence, Emphryus gave her a warm smile. “Your father is an old man. They do not change easily in his age, especially a man as stubborn as him”, he explained.

Argella chuckled sweetly. “I hope so”, she said. “I... would just like if it'd remain the same” Drent looked up at the walls, as the first guards spotted them. “It has never been”, he said. “Everything changes and it always has. It's just more notable now”

To this, the princess tightened her mouth, to something that was a mixture of a grimace and a smile. “My voice of reason”, she said and he heard the cutting mockery in her voice. “Has anyone ever told you that nobody likes those that are always right?”

Drent raised an eyebrow. “So you admit that you are not always right?”, he asked and Argella narrowed her eyes, playfully so. “I'm the exception”, she boasted and Emphryus laughed. “You surely are exceptional”, he said. “Though nobody would ever call you humble”

The princess grinned as the soldiers on the mighty walls blew their horns. The massive gates were opened, revealing a surprising sight on the courtyard behind. Drent saw banners, more than just the ever-present stag. Soldiers were camping in the courtyard, wearing a multitude of colours and it took Drent a moment to recognize them all. Buckler, Errol, Fel. Small houses, yet they had sent about dozen soldiers each.

Argella noticed them too, though it did not change anything about her expression, which, by now, was one of pure joy. She smiled at Drent, before turning to the keep, the colossal tower her ancestor had built. Protected by countless tons of stone, Drent knew that his task had been fulfilled at last. The Storm Princess had safely returned home.

As they entered the courtyard, the men that had gathered began to cheer. It weren't many who joined in and Drent had to admit, her father would have gotten more of a welcome, but it was notable and the princess beamed with pride. Emphryus however narrowed his eyes and the look on his face showed that he had come to the same realization.

The doors to the Great Hall got pushed open, revealing an entourage of soldiers. The royal guard, an intimidating sight Drent recognized all too well. Fully armoured, they wore elaborate protection, heavy steel, coloured black and embroidered with gold. Armour like this was not worn lightly, certainly not on every common day. But this was not a common day after all.

Though he was not too familiar with the members of the guard, everyone would have recognized the man leading them. He was the tallest man in the courtyard, likely the tallest in all of Storm's End. Blonde of hair and with a stony face, Landry Swann was always a sight to behold.

The royal guard, half a dozen in numbers, stopped a few feet away from Argella, who brought her host to a stand. For a moment, they looked at each other, as the princess descended from her horse. Then, a wide smile formed on Landry's face, as he and his men saluted in unison.

“Welcome back, princess”, he greeted her, surprisingly soft for such a large, loud man. Argella took a step towards him, glancing at the unexpected banners. “Hello, Landry”, she greeted him and he momentarily placed a hand on her shoulder. “I was not aware my father had called for his banners”

Landry sighed. “Those are only the first to come”, he replied and instantly, his mouth tightened, as Argella tensed up. “Your father can explain it” He pointed at the keep. “He's waiting inside. They all are” With these words, he took a step to the side, allowing Argella to walk first, the royal guard forming a lane for her. Emphryus was still walking to her right, though Drent had to settle for walking behind Landry, who had taken his position.

“A welcome for the heroes of Storm's End”, the captain of the guard explained, as the group, followed by Argella's soldiers, entered the Great Hall. Instantly, Drent noticed the warmth and the tempting smells. Grilled meat, ale, the sound of laughter and joyful chatter. Four long tables, leading through the entire hall, were holding hundreds of people, the balconies in the second floor filled with courtiers. A feast, a true feast worthy of a Durrandon of Storm's End.

Though even from afar, Drent noticed that the table of honour was half empty. From afar, he spotted four figures, leaving a notable gap in the centre of the table. Three were sitting together, too far for Drent to make out any features, whereas the fourth, sitting for himself on the far right of the table, was sporting a wild mane of hair, silvery as the Valyrian's have.

“Where is my father?”, Argella asked and Landry smirked at her. “You know he can't resist a good entrance”, he replied, as he moved his hand to the horn on his belt. Blowing it, he silenced the crowd, with everyone looking at the newly arrived Storm Princess. “Your Princess has returned!”, the knight proclaimed. “Give her a right proper welcome!”

Instantly, the crowd began to cheer. Drent felt slight disappointment at the fact that a man such as Landry had to order them first. After all, Swann was not one to be denied a request, though after all she had done in the past months, Drent felt like she deserved more, a hero's welcome of her own, not one the crowd had basically be forced into.

Argella clearly did not mind though. Gone was the momentary doubt she had shown as they had approached Storm's End. In its place, she was showing an expression of wonder, an almost child-like amazement that made him realize that for all her growth, she was still just barely a woman. And this, it was something she never had before.

And as much as he was disappointed by the way they began, the crowd did win him over. Hundreds of throats, cheering for their princess as she made her way through the Great Hall, slamming their fists onto the tables and chanting her name.

Argella turned around, looking at Drent with pure joy and his heart began to beat faster as he reciprocated her smile. It was in this moment that the door on the other side of the hall got opened and Landry stopped. Argella turned to the new arrivals and followed the knight's example and with her, everyone following her did the same, as did the crowd.

Argilac Durrandon was wearing a fine, black vest, the crown of his ancestors on his head. Baron Schodek was there with him and two other knights of the royal guard. It was Schodek who drew his sword, raising it into the air. “Hail Argilac!”, he proclaimed. “Storm King!”

“STORM KING!”, the crowd chanted, only once, before Argilac stepped down from the platform the table of honour was located on. For a moment, father and daughter looked at each other, before he spread his arms. She crossed the remaining couple of feet in a heartbeat, landing in his arms as he held her tightly. Unlike her, he was not smiling, though his stern face showed a relief only a father could feel. It was as if a burden fell off him and in a way, Drent could relate to that at least, having been responsible for Argella's safety for the past five months.

“Welcome home, daughter”, Argilac spoke at last, as Landry, Emphryus and with them, Drent and the other soldiers continued their way through the Great Hall. As the other soldiers stopped after a few feet, Drent did the same, though Emphryus was quick to turn around. Wordlessly, the knight waved him closer, ordering him to follow a task Drent took gladly.

The two stags, the last of their line, separated from each other, though Argilac rested his arms on his daughter's shoulders for a little longer. “It's good to be back”, the princess replied and Argilac gave her a nod, before glancing at Emphryus. “Has she done well, my friend?”, he asked and without hesitating, Emphryus gave him a nod. “Better than that”, he replied, his calm tone not carrying too far. “She brought honour to this house, has proven herself to be a queen I will follow”

Argella gasped slightly as she looked at him, wide-eyed, as a slow smile found its way onto her face. Argilac seemed satisfied with this reply and he stepped aside to give his daughter a better view onto the table of honour. He still kept an arm wrapped around her, as if he didn't want to let go of her and she did the same, her hand clenched into the leather on his upper arm.

A few months ago, he wouldn't have noticed it, but Drent had come to know her over the duration of this journey. The feeling of being home again, the welcome her father had given her, Emphryus' gesture, it had shaken the princess. It was the first time since they left Raylansfair that he actually saw her smiling again. Finally, King Argilac was smiling as well, the proud, relieved smile of a father. Yet there was something else and it didn't take long for Argella to notice it. “What is it, father?”, she asked and the Storm King gulped. “Gella...”, he sighed. “A lot has happened while you were away”

Argella narrowed her eyes, particularly at the unknown faces at the table of honour. “So I've noticed”, she replied. “Whom do we have here?” And now, Drent noticed something about the man with the silver hair. Though he had the build of a warrior and was clearly wearing a gambeson instead of the classical robe, there was a familiar chain around his neck. And one particular presence was missing, filling him with an uneasy feeling, one that King Argilac could only confirm.

“Argella, this is Maester Qoherys”, he explained and sighed, which made him truly look his age for a second. “I am afraid Maester Reymond has passed away. It happened in his sleep, shortly after you left” He gulped and pointed at the man. “Qoherys is his replacement”

“Reymond is dead...”, Argella mumbled and instantly, her good mood was swept away. Drent hadn't known the man well. Or, at all, really. Reymond had been elderly and frail, unable to even leave the castle in his final years. However, he knew this was quite different for the princess. She had grown up in this keep and with this man as her teacher, her caretaker. Though she was a Durrandon, the daughter of the storm. Her grief was not for the world to see.

After a fleeting moment in which she appeared crushed, she pulled herself together, bowing slightly in front of the Valyrian, who had risen from his chair. Up close, he was an impressive sight, especially for a Maester. More a warrior than anything else, he moved a hand through his mighty beard, before he replied in kind. “My Princess Argella”, he greeted her. “I am pleased, honoured to make your acquaintance” He put a hand onto his chest. “By the will of Syrax, I am your humble servant”

Argella was quick to look back to her father and Drent spotted something he, as a soldier and a guard felt an immediate disliking for. It was probably nothing, but he was unable to read the look in the man's haunting, purple eyes. That was something he felt a dislike for by nature, even if he had to admit that Qoherys otherwise seemed like a worthy replacement of the man that had served this castle for longer than even its current king had done.

“Is that all?”, the princess said and there was concern in her voice. “Maester Reymond... he was older than you and me together. You wouldn't be like this if it would have been only him” She glanced past him and onto the three young men at the other end of the table. Drent did not recognize either, but he recognized the colours they were wearing. They were the same as the banners in the courtyard.

Argilac turned to his guests. “They can wait for now”, he began to say, but in the same moment, the first of the three had already raised from his chair. He was a tall man and quite well-built, handsome with his dark hair and his skin tanned like a man from the south. A large scar on his forehead, just barely missing his right eye, gave him a certain edge and the look in his dark eyes was prideful.

“Bernard Buckler, my princess”, he introduced himself. “Heir to Bronzegate. It is my honour and pleasure to meet you at last. Tales pale in comparison to your presence” With these high words, he put a hand onto his broad chest, before taking a deep bow. One of the two next to him, the man of House Fell judging by his colours rolled his oddly mismatched eyes at this introduction.

Argella in turn raised an eyebrow. “Almost impressive”, she said in return and looked at her father. “I wasn't aware we have guests. Why have you called for the houses Buckler, Errol and Fell?” Argilac quickly pulled her closer to himself, while giving Bernard a mighty glare, enough to instantly force the young man to sit down. “As I said”, he growled. “They. Can. Wait” He smiled at his daughter with love. “I will explain their presence later on, when the evening has proceeded. Some things are best discussed with a belly full of ale, I guess”, he told her. “But first I wish to hear. You have been... concerningly brief in your letter. What exactly happened in Raylansfair?”

As he said this, the new chatter in the hall died down. This was something everyone wanted to hear. And it was something both, Drent and Argella dreaded. The princess pulled away from him and straightened her back. Her teeth were clenched and she avoided looking into his eyes. Instead, she exchanged a quick look with Drent, who subtly shook his head. In return, she sighed, before looking away. And then, she did something unexpected. The Storm Princess knelt down in front of her father, who was similarly surprised by her behaviour.

“I... beg forgiveness, your grace, for I failed you”, she said. “And the Stormlands. You placed a great deal of trust in me and I... did not live up to it” Argilac narrowed his eyes. “Gella, what...”, he began, though she cut him off by pointing at her soldiers. “One out of three lost their lives in the Reach”, she said. “They died because I did not listen to advice. Because I fought a battle that was not mine, defending people that are not mine and your subjects, they paid with blood”

Drent tensed up as he heard this. It was not the truth, at least not the full one. Maybe that was how Argella herself saw it and that was terrible enough as it was. He glanced at Emphryus, seeing a sudden pain in the knight's face, one that was not too different from what he himself felt right now. Though she clearly felt like she had to do this, she was still lying, mostly to herself. What she said, it was not the truth.

But Argella was not yet done. “The city you sent me to take, a city that was already yours in every way that mattered, I failed to claim”, she said. “A web of lies and I was oblivious to it until it was too late. Now the city will never be yours and it's worse off than it had been before. The men that rule it now...” She paused and cut herself off. “We must talk about them another time” Briefly, she looked up, into her father's eyes. His were filled with compassion for a daughter that tormented herself. Hers were filled with guilt and regret.

“I failed my knights. Ser Jax Montclair died for me”, she spoke and mentioning the late sergeants new rank caused only a minor mumbling among the nobles of Storm's End. “Ser Lucas Flowers went to his death and I failed to stop him. I could have done more and for that, I can only ask forgiveness” With these last words, she closed her eyes, though even before, she had focussed on her father's feet.

And Drent knew, he shouldn't accept this. He knew this was not how things truly had been. Focussing on the bad, leaving out the good. She deserved better than that. Maybe she felt like she had to do this, but Drent had the same feeling. Argilac wouldn't think worse of her, but what about the rest? The lords, the courtiers, the same men that had barely cheered for her return. He knew the truth. Could he truly leave them with such an impression? He already saw some of them, smug satisfaction on their faces, as they were confirmed in their view on the woman that had never been more for them than a fourthborn that had grown lucky, a spare to the spare whose only achievement was surviving when everyone else died. Perhaps it was time to speak up. The good she did. Her bravery, her compassion, the lives she saved. He knew it and maybe they should too. Maybe it wasn't his place to speak, but maybe that did not matter to him.

[Speak in Argella's defence] [Remain silent]

• [Speak in Argella's defence]

Probably a bad choice since its so obvious, but how does the old saying go?

"Men with Honor may not live to see their reward , but those without it may live to see their punishment"

Drent At the sight of the familiar banners in the distance, Drent sighed with relief. It had been a long journey, a curious one, filled w

Drent At the sight of the familiar banners in the distance, Drent sighed with relief. It had been a long journey, a curious one, filled w

• [Remain Silent]
    Probably the right think to do

• I'm curious. What makes you think its the right thing to do?

[Remain Silent] Probably the right think to do

Maybe not the smartest choice, but I feel like it's something Drent would and should do.

• [Speak in Argella's defence] It might not be proper for a common soldier like Drent to speak up in a moment like this, but I feel like it would be selfish cowardice from him to remain silent. I also feel like Argilac won't be angered, I could even see him respecting Drent's bravery to speak up in defence of the princess. One thing that makes me question this choice a bit though is what is Argella's plan here. Clearly she feels like she has failed, but does she expect someone to bring up the good she did, or does she for some reason just not want that to be brought up? I can't imagine what the reason for that would be, but if there is one, she might not appreciate Drent speaking up about it.

Anyway, this was a great part, really showing how much Argella has grown as a charcter during the mission to Raylansfair :)

• edited September 2017

It may be a negative impact on Drent's Storyline as It is not the place to speak and yes my clarification may be wrong because It does not matter for Drent

Lord_EAA posted: »

I'm curious. What makes you think its the right thing to do?

• One thing that makes me question this choice a bit though is what is Argella's plan here. Clearly she feels like she has failed, but does she expect someone to bring up the good she did, or does she for some reason just not want that to be brought up? I can't imagine what the reason for that would be, but if there is one, she might not appreciate Drent speaking up about it.

Well, Argella does feel guilt for her own failure to prevent the tragedies in Raylansfair, especially those that concern her in particular, the deaths of Jax and Lucas. This whole public thing is highly unusual, as the Durrandon's are definitely not a family to reveal their own failures and shortcomings. After all, they claim to literally descend from gods. So, it is not unthinkable that Argella follows some sort of a strategy here, though wether it aims at having someone speak up in her name, or if it aims solely at gaining her father's forgiveness to feel better, or something else entirely, that remains to be seen. She'll surely reveal her reasons later in this chapter. All I can say is, she has put a great deal of thought into this course of action and hasn't done it lightly.

[Speak in Argella's defence] It might not be proper for a common soldier like Drent to speak up in a moment like this, but I feel like it wo

• Oh, I can assure you there's no bad choice here, just what some might consider a better option and a worse one, though it all comes down to personal preference ;) Speaking up for her is a bit of a risk and it remains to be seen if it's a risk worth taking. Meanwhile, remaining silent would be the safer option, upholding the status quo. Nothing would change for Drent, not for the better, not for the worse.

Lord_EAA posted: »

[Speak in Argella's defence] Probably a bad choice since its so obvious, but how does the old saying go? "Men with Honor may not live to see their reward , but those without it may live to see their punishment"

• [Speak in Argella's defence] I feel like this is definitely something Drent would do, and even if it's not the smartest choice, it is the best approach to this situation.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.