Why Is GOTG So Underrated?

Seriously, this has been bugging me for a while now. It's certainly not the best game TT has put out, but as a Marvel fan I have found it's really improved as the series has moved on, especially with the dynamics between the character, which is definitely one of the better cases in a Telltale game. The choices have been interesting and the conclusion to Episode 3 especially suggests that one can have a very different state of play with the villains and your relationship with the other Guardians.

So why hasn't it been more successful, outside what I see to be a lack of promotion compared to other Telltale games and some apparent issue with the graphic style (which I think looks great)?

Comments

• edited September 2017

Why? Probably because it's just like the films and doesn't have anything fresh or interesting to offer other than a recycled story, recycled characters, recycled jokes, recycled tone, and recycled aesthetic that you've already seen except done MUCH better on the silver screen....TWICE.

There's not much to talk about.

• edited September 2017

I understand how you can see this, and enjoyment is subjective for many, of course.. But the points you raise can still be turned in the game's favor.

anything fresh or interesting

The Eternity Forge being an original idea. The death of Thanos in the first episode of the season (when we all thought he would play a much bigger role than that).. The introduction of Hala, a fairly recent villain from the comics and who probably many don't know about.

recycled story

The Guardians find a mysterious relic that can benefit them all, but must face a powerful enemy and even each other as their selfish desires threaten to tear them apart

recycled characters

I don't see how you can make a Guardians of the Galaxy game without The Guardians of the Galaxy.

recycled jokes

No, a lot of jokes (while they use the same form of humour as the movies: Drax's literal language, Groot's speech limitation, etc.) they are original jokes. We haven't seen many of the lines, scenarios, or actions that the group in the game has done in the movies.

recycled tone

A humorous game about a group of misfits who just really love each other. Again, the tone fits the Guardians really well and I don't see how you can go without it. Would you rather like to see Peter as an angry, antagonistic loner as he flies through space?

recycled aesthetic

This point is valid, but given that the movie is where many people learned about the Guardians, it makes sense for them to use the same look for the characters. But, Groot's looks totally different (and isn't a toddler), Gamora looks slightly different and Peter's face is just... Not like Chris Pratt at all. I do think that they could have tweaked Yondu's look for this game.

I understand your frustration and your views on the matter, but at the point that the game is now, it seems pretty far from what the movies have done. Yes, at first glance it looks a lot like the movies.. But you can clearly see the differences between the two the further you get into it.

J-Master posted: »

Why? Probably because it's just like the films and doesn't have anything fresh or interesting to offer other than a recycled story, recycle

• I want the game to be just like the films. Why take a hit formula that worked so well for the movies and then change that formula for the game? Stick with what's proven successful.

• It's really just a cheaper version of the films IMO

• edited September 2017

Yet the films often do very or extremely well in the box office despite the supposed 'recycling', it's not a matter of characters, plot etc. being similar to other Marvel stories on the most basic extent, it's more so likely due to Telltale fatigue, superhero fatigue and the biggest factor - lack of advertising.

If anything, this game recycles Telltale's formula far more than Marvel's.

Why? Probably because it's just like the films and doesn't have anything fresh or interesting to offer other than a recycled story, recycle

• I think they've been just as good as the movies.

BigGazMan posted: »

It's really just a cheaper version of the films IMO

• edited September 2017

It currently has more sales than Batman Season 2 and Minecraft Season 2 (the only two other TellTale games currently releasing episodes) combined, on Steam, but the section of these forums for these games are much busier. I think we would do well to start to consider that the people who participate on these forums are not representative of the success of a game. Because there are not LOTS of people posting here, let's face it, we always see the same users everywhere and threads takes several days to get out of the first page of each section.

• I just wish It was more original.

AnimalBoy posted: »

I think they've been just as good as the movies.

• This is unfortunately, too true.
    I've seen many praise this game and eat up all the episodes wanting more outside of this forum.

We aren't alone in terms of our opinion regarding the game, but around here it sure feels like it.

Abeille posted: »

It currently has more sales than Batman Season 2 and Minecraft Season 2 (the only two other TellTale games currently releasing episodes) com

• edited September 2017

The Eternity Forge being an original idea. The death of Thanos in the first episode of the season (when we all thought he would play a much bigger role than that).. The introduction of Hala, a fairly recent villain from the comics and who probably many don't know about.

An artifact that everyone is after in which could also tear the team apart. I've seen this narrative before and Guardians isn't doing anything interesting or fun with it. What exactly is so fresh and interesting about Hala? She's just another boring revenge driven mercenary with nothing to make her stand out over any other revenge driven villain. Replace Hala with anyone else and nothing would change or feel different. Oh yeah, Thanos, what a complete joke of an antagonist that the story hasn't done anything with except kill him off.

The Guardians find a mysterious relic that can benefit them all, but must face a powerful enemy and even each other as their selfish desires threaten to tear them apart.

Didn't Guardians 2 already do something like this? Except much more clever and better executed?

I don't see how you can make a Guardians of the Galaxy game without The Guardians of the Galaxy.

Guardians of the Galaxy comics have been around since the 60s with many other members other than Star Lord and pals. MISSED OPPORTUNITY.

No, a lot of jokes (while they use the same form of humour as the movies: Drax's literal language, Groot's speech limitation, etc.) they are original jokes. We haven't seen many of the lines, scenarios, or actions that the group in the game has done in the movies.

A good chunk of the jokes are ripped straight out of the films and when they're not, they fall HARD on their face. Besides, like you said SAME form of humor, I don't care for that.

A humorous game about a group of misfits who just really love each other. Again, the tone fits the Guardians really well and I don't see how you can go without it. Would you rather like to see Peter as an angry, antagonistic loner as he flies through space?

YES to angry loner Star Lord, at least Telltale would be doing their own thing or at the very least providing something people aren't used to seeing in this franchise. Would TFTB be as highly regarded as it is if it ONLY took inspiration from the BL games regarding humor and storytelling? Probably not considering people who don't care for the BL story or humor ended loving TFTB because it did its own unique thing with that universe.

This point is valid, but given that the movie is where many people learned about the Guardians, it makes sense for them to use the same look for the characters. But, Groot's looks totally different (and isn't a toddler), Gamora looks slightly different and Peter's face is just... Not like Chris Pratt at all. I do think that they could have tweaked Yondu's look for this game.

100% reaching with the differences. If TT is basing all of their designs on the film's aesthetic then it's an undeniable cash grab even then I wouldn't mind so much if the aesthetic was just as good but it's not.

AChicken posted: »

I understand how you can see this, and enjoyment is subjective for many, of course.. But the points you raise can still be turned in the gam

• Honestly, I don't think "recycling" hurts that much in the box office either. I mean... Star Trek Beyond was pretty much a rehash of Star Trek (2009). Some person feels wronged by the Federation, and wants to destroy it. Also, the X-Men movies... very little nuance. The Avengers movie where Tony Stark creates an AI, and things turn out shitty. I mean, seriously, how many times have they made movies with that same theme? This list could go on and on.

prink34320 posted: »

Yet the films often do very or extremely well in the box office despite the supposed 'recycling', it's not a matter of characters, plot etc.

• Agreed, but then again I don't think the movies are all that great. Especially the second one. I anti-ship Peter and Gamorra.

AnimalBoy posted: »

I think they've been just as good as the movies.

• True but many believe a form of movie or formula fatigue exists but honestly, I don't really see how Marvel movies recycle plot, I often see people criticizing the movies for having similar plots and I just don't see it, as for recycling characters, I think that's honestly genius and is part of the reason why Marvel is in the big leagues - characters develop over multiple films and that makes it more impactful in emotional scenes for them.

ShampaFK posted: »

Honestly, I don't think "recycling" hurts that much in the box office either. I mean... Star Trek Beyond was pretty much a rehash of Star Tr

• An artifact that everyone is after in which could also tear the team apart. I've seen this narrative before and Guardians isn't doing anything interesting or fun with it. What exactly is so fresh and interesting about Hala? She's just another boring revenge driven mercenary with nothing to make her stand out over any other revenge driven villain. Replace Hala with anyone else and nothing would change or feel different. Oh yeah, Thanos, what a complete joke of an antagonist that the story hasn't done anything with except kill him off.

Well of course you've seen that narrative before, it's heavily present in all forms of narrative in media, often used as plot points to encourage character development, this trope is present in some of the biggest and arguably best films, games and books out there (although they are not often 'artifacts')

• The Lord of the Rings - The One Ring
    • Kingdom Hearts - The Keyblade
    • In many films/games/books/show - Material Posessions and Money

It is often not objects that are used to tear the group apart, it's more an uncommon use of the 'Breaking the Fellowship' trope, it is more often an event, other characters or ideologies that tear the group apart and external and internal conflict between individuals is a great way to explore their relationship and develop it as well as their characters.

I'd argue that the ability to resurrect anyone from any time period with the cost of a life is pretty interesting and potentially fun (and pretty unique) and keep in mind that the Eternity Forge could've been destroyed.

We're only 3 episodes in so I don't have that good of a case for Hala or Thanos but... what sets Hala apart from other revenge filled villains? Her purpose is greater than the usual materialistic or torturous revenge that most villains seek, she wants to resurrect her species which is on the brink of extinction thanks to Thanos, she's very powerful, shown to be a sympathetic mother who wants her child back and she's not afraid to try and kill the characters where most villains would just spew their monologue or evil plans. She has a greater goal, her intentions are also morally grey because whilst she wishes to bring her species back from the grave, she also plans to conquer the galaxy afterwards.
    As for Thanos, he's been portrayed as manipulative towards his daughters and a strong opponent but he is mainly a plot point used to develop the relationship between Gamora and Nebula.

Didn't Guardians 2 already do something like this? Except much more clever and better executed?

Not really, the most similar comparison would be Mantis whose character is honestly perfect for inciting emotional scenes, backstory and development.

Guardians of the Galaxy comics have been around since the 60s with many other members other than Star Lord and pals. MISSED OPPORTUNITY.

They could've used the original Guardians or heck, even jumped forward to Iron Man, Adam Warlock etc. having joined them, but considering the huge popularity with the films, I think it was best that they used the more popular and well-known cast, sadly, familiarity sells highly on the media market. Plus the game does something different in which it more heavily explores the backstories, which haven't really been done in the films at least, can't speak for every comic.

A good chunk of the jokes are ripped straight out of the films and when they're not, they fall HARD on their face. Besides, like you said SAME form of humor, I don't care for that.

As I always remind people, humor is one of the most subjective things and honestly, in this game, it's okay but I care more about the characters above all. Humor is nice but unless it's a comedy, it's not entirely necessary. Could you elaborate on what jokes are ripped from the films?

YES to angry loner Star Lord, at least Telltale would be doing their own thing or at the very least providing something people aren't used to seeing in this franchise. Would TFTB be as highly regarded as it is if it ONLY took inspiration from the BL games regarding humor and storytelling? Probably not considering people who don't care for the BL story or humor ended loving TFTB because it did its own unique thing with that universe.

I'd say no to having an angsty Peter Quill, we've got plenty of those characters in modern day media and I prefer a sarcastic and morally grey protagonist, at least that makes him being the leader of a team more realistic. Would The Wolf Among Us be as highly regarded if it didn't largely use elements from the source material, like it's original version which Telltale seemed to allude to being more of a comedy? Sometimes changing the material is good (Batman), other times, not so much (Netflix's Death Note).

100% reaching with the differences. If TT is basing all of their designs on the film's aesthetic then it's an undeniable cash grab even then I wouldn't mind so much if the aesthetic was just as good but it's not.

Whilst I agree with this, I still don't see how it's a problem, I mean sometimes change sparks more anger than familiarity - before Batman's release, it got allot of anger solely due to Bruce and Harvey's body structures. At least the game version more so captures the traditional look of the Guardians.

The Eternity Forge being an original idea. The death of Thanos in the first episode of the season (when we all thought he would play a much

• edited September 2017

I'm not saying edgy Star Lord would have been great but at least it would have felt a bit more fresh and original for this franchise. Sure the films are popular but it just strikes as me as laziness and lack of confidence on TT's part because they're just cashing in on the film's success and not really doing anything with it. I don't care for familiarity if it's nowhere near as good. I can't name any jokes off the top of my head but I do know they ended up recycling TWO Mantis jokes from Guardians 2 almost in the same way and that just infuriated me not to mention Mantis looks JUST like her silver screen counterpart with the EXACT SAME PERSONALITY ..."stay original" Telltale. This whole thing is bizarre because it's not based on any recent comics or even in canon with the films so it just sort of feels like a really off and wateted down version of the films.

Hala just strikes as me as being very two diemensional with little personality. Sure she's given somewhat of a sympathetic motivation but that doesn't really mean anything for me is the character is flat and it also doesn't help that her character design is forgettable and boring.

Telltale took the general set up of the Fables universe and crafted their own neo noir tale that felt more grounded and fleshed out some of the other characters from the comics that didn't get much to do while also creating some of their own characters in the process.

Traditional? These D-list characters were only just reintroduced three years ago with Guardians 1, there's no excuse Telltale had to take the safe and bland route with this.

An artifact that everyone is after in which could also tear the team apart. I've seen this narrative before and Guardians isn't doing anythi

• I'm not saying edgy Star Lord would have been great but at least it would have felt a bit more fresh and original for this franchise. Sure the films are popular but it just strikes as me as laziness and lack of confidence on TT's part because they're just cashing in on the film's success and not really doing anything with it. I don't care for familiarity if it's nowhere near as good. I can't name any jokes off the top of my head but I do know they ended up recycling TWO Mantis jokes from Guardians 2 almost in the same way and that just infuriated me not to mention Mantis looks JUST like her silver screen counterpart with the EXACT SAME PERSONALITY ..."stay original" Telltale. This whole thing is bizarre because it's not based on any recent comics or even in canon with the films so it just sort of feels like a really off and wateted down version of the films.

Fresh and original does not automatically mean good, I think we've got enough edgy characters, considering the flux of them in mainstream entertainment.
    It's kind of what Telltale does though, cash into an existing IP's popularity and make a game to profit off of it, it's how the company works and they've done the same with Batman, The Walking Dead, Minecraft, Game of Thrones and to a lesser extent Tales from the Borderlands and The Wolf among Us. Honestly, the only hope for pure originality in their games is if they make their own IP.
    I don't care about familiarity either but it plays a huge role in sales - it's part of the reason why Marvel, DC and Star Wars films are so popular.
    I like Mantis but I understand your point, they could've gone with her comic character but her backstory and character is pretty R-rated.
    I don't feel that way, I think it's an innovative take on a popular story, I personally love it because it explores the backstories of the characters, something the films barely really touched upon (particularly, Rocket and Groots' backstories lacked the most subtext even). It's kind of why I like Batman, it's not part of the universe and not based off any traditional Batman stories but it does well in exploring Bruce as a character and his relationships with people with and without the Batsuit.

Hala just strikes as me as being very two diemensional with little personality. Sure she's given somewhat of a sympathetic motivation but that doesn't really mean anything for me is the character is flat and it also doesn't help that her character design is forgettable and boring.

To be fair, she does lack screen-time for any form of actual development. I do agree in that she needs a personality and more context with her role in the story so that she can be a more memorable character but I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't get much of a character in the last two episodes, considering Telltale's track record with antagonists not being the best.

Telltale took the general set up of the Fables universe and crafted their own neo noir tale that felt more grounded and fleshed out some of the other characters from the comics that didn't get much to do while also creating some of their own characters in the process.

I'm aware of this but it still heavily relied on source material (considering it's meant to be a prequel), much like most of Telltale's games (except Minecraft: Story Mode). It's not a bad thing.

Traditional? These D-list characters were only just reintroduced three years ago with Guardians 1, there's no excuse Telltale had to take the safe and bland route with this.

If anything they're at least B-list at this point, popularity for them has spiked and they've been around before the movies in the form of comics, games and TV shows. How exactly did they take the safe and bland route?

I'm not saying edgy Star Lord would have been great but at least it would have felt a bit more fresh and original for this franchise. Sure t

• Well the usual estimation of players in forums that represent the whole fandom of a game is usually 1% (at least this is what I've heard from some forum staff), doesn't mean it's true though but I'm betting it's pretty accurate.

Plus, considering the constant conflicts that arise within this forum, I'm not surprised if people are not so willing to praise the game here - forums have become generally more toxic over the years and it's driven people out, heck, after the release of The Walking Dead Season Two's final episode, I myself left this forum because I was constantly bashed on for my choices and I was sick of the constant arguments over the same topic. Negativity drives people away and I think it happened with the release of The Walking Dead: A New Frontier, even now there are people who get bashed on for saying it was a good game and this is a constant that happens across many forums over the internet.

Abeille posted: »

It currently has more sales than Batman Season 2 and Minecraft Season 2 (the only two other TellTale games currently releasing episodes) com

• All I'm saying is that Telltale's version of Guardians is too formulaic and familiar for me to find it engaging.

I'm not saying edgy Star Lord would have been great but at least it would have felt a bit more fresh and original for this franchise. Sure t

• Hey, fair enough, it's understandable to have fatigue from watching or playing things with similar formula.

All I'm saying is that Telltale's version of Guardians is too formulaic and familiar for me to find it engaging.

• This game diserves to be more popular. ive noticed this problem too recently. I hope it doesn't become like what happen to TFTB because TFTB is one of my favorite series and this game just has the best music to me fyi. This story line and actors are amazing and i just don't think it should be this underrated tbh.

• I agree that it doesn't seem as popular but I have been playing since it's release and its really good and really funny. Also the major choices are just fantastic and change the story really well. Telltale seems to have gotten better at having choices matter. I really enjoyed this game and hope that it gets better as the season goes on.

• I really hope it gets more press, I don't see all of the usual Youtubers who play Telltale getting caught up in the series, Minecraft and Batman are getting all the love - which could be part of it? The more games you have ongoing, the less attention some of them are likely to have?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.