The Impressionable John Doe (How I think John could change based on our choices)

MINOR EP2 SPOILERS

My theory /speculation is both based on Harley's words and developers. In episode 2 Harley has made a couple comments on John being impressionable and trying to discover who he is. One of the developers said that our choices could decide what kind of criminal John wants to be. This isn't about our relationship with him, I think based on how we handle situations that John will watch us and think that's how he should act. I've noticed two moments that could influence John. First is how we deal with Willy, we can be violent by beating him up or cunning by bribing him with money for drinks. I think this could decide whether John thinks he should be violent or clever. Then there's when Bane pits you against one of his men. John literally comes out to watch. No other Pact members besides Bane shows up so I have to think Telltale did this for a reason. You can be either Brutal or merciful in this scenario.

So what do you guys think? Could I be right? Share your thoughts on the impressionable John Doe.

Tagged:

Comments

• HQ is every bit, and possibly more, influential on John's development as Bruce is. She justifies her violence as something she needs to do to survive the boy's club. JD might use those same full of shit excuses too. Who knows?

• I saw that more as Harley explaining her actions not trying to justify them. She wanted Bruce to understand, not to forgive her.

ShampaFK posted: »

HQ is every bit, and possibly more, influential on John's development as Bruce is. She justifies her violence as something she needs to do to survive the boy's club. JD might use those same full of shit excuses too. Who knows?

• Much like Catwoman, in that regard, then. Sort of like Harley saying to Bruce, "I want to succeed in this life I've chosen, and to do that I need to use violence." And the implication is, "I hope you can understand and accept that this is who I am."

I wonder what result we'd get if we did a four circle venn diagram based on how people feel about Selina versus Harley. It's just weird to me that there are people who are okay or with Harley or like/love her, but hate Selina. I'm in the camp, of course, that likes Selina even though I don't like a lot of her actions....

AgentZ46 posted: »

I saw that more as Harley explaining her actions not trying to justify them. She wanted Bruce to understand, not to forgive her.

• Selina has yet to smash people's heads with a hammer so that makes her better in my opinion.

Harley crossed a line there. I can't sympathize with people who have no regard for human life.

Selina steals and has no issues screwing people over to save her skin though.

None of those options are appealing to me bearing in mind the Bruce Wayne I want to play as.

ShampaFK posted: »

Much like Catwoman, in that regard, then. Sort of like Harley saying to Bruce, "I want to succeed in this life I've chosen, and to do that I

• I think you and I agree that he needs a MUCH healthier alternative romantic possibility. Not sure if reforming either Harley or Selina is a realistic possibility. You know what they about getting into a relationship with a bad boy/girl type, hoping you can change them for the better? Yeah... Not a smart move.

Selina has yet to smash people's heads with a hammer so that makes her better in my opinion. Harley crossed a line there. I can't sympath

• I think we can end up with one of four Jokers. A combination of whether he is violent or not and whether he is friends with Bruce or not.

• John's idea of what's fun is disconcerting. Like him saying to Tiffany "at least he went out with a bang! For that we can all be grateful" and thinking that was somehow appropriate. John says he didn't kill Riddler, and seems hurt that you could imply that he was capable of cold blooded murder... but I definitely think he is capable of that. A good John Doe would have to fight against his instincts at all times. Not sure how long that will last.

Also, how forgiving of Joker would we be, if he stole our cars or set our home on fire just to make Harley happy?

• Don't forget about the church meeting as well. It seems most people played buddy buddy with him, but I played my Bruce as a man with a code in S1, and he's trying to uphold that code in S2. In S1 he told John Doe he's never getting out of Arkham, thus he techincally never made a promise to him.

In S2 I had my Bruce be much more dismissive to John than most players. He yanks him away from Tiffany, and tells him that he's too busy to meet his friends. John freaks out and has an outburst in the church. You can get him to calm down, but you can definitely see shades of Full-Psycho Joker in there.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.