Episode 5 spoiler discussion.

There are no spoilers in this paragraph but I’ll put a tag here anyway. The episode is out in some reasons so if you played it you can discuss it here. As always I will post my thoughts when I have played it.

Tagged:

Comments

• edited November 2017

Stay after the credits... ;)

• I LOVE THIS GAME, it was such a great ending and I saw someone who made different decisions have quite allot of differences in their playthrough. I really enjoyed the ending and the choices were actually rather difficult to make, the end credits was nice, I hope this means either a sequel or a Telltale Marvel Universe :3

• Meh. To me, this is Telltale's weakest finale. The final choice is the best part of the episode, and it was fun, but as a finale, it left a lot to be desired. The final battle with Hala didn't really feel "final" you know? Half the episode is getting the team back together, and in retrospect, the game had ALWAYS been about the team struggling with themselves rather than the enemy they're facing, being Hala. So it would make sense as to why the battle felt pretty short.The guardians were well prepared and all linked mentally. But at the same time, Mantis's fear of her rising power as well as the Guardian's fear to face her raised the stakes that fell completely short when they actually confronted her. They were in far more control of the fight than I liked.

I'm pretty sure the battle with Thanos in episode one was longer than the fight with Hala. Peter died in the first encounter with Hala. But everything felt too easy this time around. The most intense moment the whole episode I saw would have to be Gamora's fight with Nebula that I came across, but I don't really know how it got to that point.

Not my favorite Telltale game. In fact it's probably bottom tier for me, (which isn't bad considering I love all the Telltale games, even the ones poorly received like the last 2 seasons of TWD). It was enjoyably funny as it should be and Peter's mustache had my ribs hurting for what felt like hours :D :D . The humor gave me a lot of Borderlands vibes. The speech was great. The feels were heavy. But the "finale" felt like it would've been more suited as the penultimate episode. The first half was all setup for a fight that didn't deliver for me.

• I love how choices actually mattered and changed ALOT in the finale depending on what you chose throughout the season, like how it should be.

• So the Eternity Forge gets destroyed no matter what you choose? Like if you decide not to destroy Kree, is the Forge still destroyed?

• Still gets destroyed in the end, but you get the chance to use it once to revive one of the Guardians' loved ones (Lylla, Kamaria, Meredith or Nebula).

0v3rp0w3r posted: »

So the Eternity Forge gets destroyed no matter what you choose? Like if you decide not to destroy Kree, is the Forge still destroyed?

• edited November 2017

Am I the only one a bit disappointed by the finale? Half of the episode was getting the gang back together, like nothing happenned. I still believe that they should have gone with the idea of having a handful of Guardians saving the galaxy (only having Gamora or Rocket at your side, alongside Groot maybe). It makes no sense for Rocket to forgive me after everything I've done to him.

I also don't like at all the fact that those of us who destroyed the forge never got any benefit. We don't get to revive anyone close to the Guardians (obviously, though), we don't get the chance of getting something good for the Galaxy like having the Kree being new allies working for prosperity... We got the shaft in every way. Empowering or destroying the forge is one of the only few choices I've seen in a Telltale Game in which I can really say that there's a "right" choice and a "wrong choice", besides one particular decision in Batman Season 1.

Overall, I liked the season. It started good, then it went down during the latest episodes (in my opinion). I really liked the flashbacks of the Guardians and the treatment of determinant characters like Nebula.

• WHAT AN AWESOME SEASON! I think that this Season was awesome and Star-Lord was a lot of fun to play as. This game's ending and the post credits scenes were amazing totally setting up a sequel to this season. I destroyed The Forge in my first playthrough and yes The Guardians didn't receive any benefits because most of the times heroes are heroes because they do the right thing without wanting any rewards. Although the set up of a Gamora romance and having one last chance to talk to Peter's mom was emotional and still proof that TellTale can deliver amazing stories despite what many people have been thinking of their writing I think they have some of the best writers in the gaming industry and this game solidifies that as a fact because they take your emotions on a rollercoaster. Also having the chance of letting Hala feel like she was talking to Bal-Dinn (I hope I spelt that right lol) was pretty sad because Peter's and Hala's role were switched Peter lost his mom and Hala lost her son. (I haven't played through the empower the forge choice yet so I don't know what happens in that ending.) I think that The Guardians of the Galaxy was an amazing game and hope that if they do make a Season 2 which they might given the ending of this game it should be just as awesome. Also the choices made in the game really do matter a lot more than their previous games I think that TellTale has gotten better at letting choices matter. I think that TellTale's truly one of the best gaming companies out there and hope for them to continue making fantastic games!

• I really like finale. Yes, Halaa fight might be too easy but the point of GotG isn't final boss but interactions between the group. I ran this episode once atm (main good Peter), but I will try a-hole selfish Peter soon with most different choices (saw some hillarious options like calling team idiots after bring back Meredith, need to try it :P). IMO this episode has a lot of flavour and small permutations in dialogs.

Also that panels at the end similar to Batman S2 + state of Galaxy were nice addition at the end. Kinda like space for S2 (I hope for it, but I don't think it will happen soon or at all sadly...).

For me most interesting things were:
    *Choosing roles (I have assigned Drax to hack computer, and he "hacked it to pieces") ^^
    *That scene mirroring Peter - Halaa at the end
    *Telltale actually gave us a choice to bring back 1 person if we empowered the forge
    *Empowering vs Destroying forge was at the end pretty big deal with Halaa son plot etc.

I am just curious, did anyone have 100% siding with one of guardian other than Groot, or 0% siding? I just wonder if this have impact on gameplay.

• Man, I really want to play. :(

• I had 100% siding with Drax (and I sacrificed him)

Ravandel posted: »

I really like finale. Yes, Halaa fight might be too easy but the point of GotG isn't final boss but interactions between the group. I ran th

• I had 100% with both Gamora and Groot

I really like finale. Yes, Halaa fight might be too easy but the point of GotG isn't final boss but interactions between the group. I ran th

• I only got 100 percent with groot but he is easy to get 100 percent

• Finally got to play it and holy crap! This is one of the best telltale episodes I’ve played hands down. The fact that me empowering the forge made it so I can revive one person was amazing I ended up reviving Petra mom but I was really close to reviveing Drax’s daughter. A bunch of other stuff like the love between Peter and Gamora. One part though didn’t really surprise me and I was just like I knew it with Drax I knew he couldn’t have died. One thing about the revival choice that I also really like is that no one gives you guilt for it. One more thing to add is that if you empowered the forge you can forge alliances with Bal-din (Halas son) and he can lead the Kree. Outstanding episode 10/10!

• Okay, I can tell that choices in this episode define what songs you get at certain points. I only got that one licenced song during the fight with Hala on the bridge [sorry, I forget the name of it. If anyone can point me to it I'd be glad], and "Why Can't I Touch It?" during the closing scene/credits. During the credits I saw that "Livin' Thing" and "Shambala" were also credited. Where are these songs in the episode? I sure didn't hear them.

• edited November 2017

The first half was fine. I really liked the conversation with Drax and Gamora but the first half in general is relatively weak. But I really really like the rest of the episode. Lots of different choices, great song choices, it was also pretty funny (love that mustache), the Hela fight was really well done, lots of determinant stuff, etc.

My biggest gripe would be the animation in the episode being really bad at points. When you're on the Milano and you're given the chance to talk to everyone, aside from Rocket and Groot, they all just looked so dead eyed. Their mouths moved but there was a horrible lack of emotive animation with their eyes. It just looked and felt really off.

Other than that I thought it was fantastic overall. It's probably my favourite episode of the season just off of the second half alone.

They've left it open for another season which I'm fine with. It didn't fuck with the story and wasn't a loose end so that's good.

• I think the Mass Effect 2 suicide mission-esque sequence is the perfect example of my feelings about this game, initial excitement followed by immediate disappointment. When you didn't actually get to see each guardian do their respected role in the mission and instead had to dick around in space as Star Lord the whole time I couldn't believe how hard they dropped the ball on what should have been a great sequence.

• edited November 2017

Good episode but not a stellar finale imo sadly. I thought they idled for way to damn long on getting the team back together and treading on the same conflicts I talked about with both Drax, and Gamora; the only difference is that its resolved regardless of saying the same stuff practically from previous episodes. They are nice moments but in a finale it felt sort of unfitting I guess? Building memories was a neat idea but was paced really really slowly like everything from the first half.

BUT the second half on the other hand is much much better even if that didn't reach finale standards. Assigning roles was a fun task even if the payoff isn't that strong, and the fight with Hala with the music and everything was fantastic if a bit mid-bossy sort of? It felt more like a whimper than a real final fight which I guess is the point considering the ending, but everything after this point for me is straight up 10/10. The flashback with Peter and his mom camping and just the quiet somber-ness of it all and how you could see her just shutting down and getting worse and worse is incredibly heartbreaking. Telling her how she'll always be my mom, and then having her tell me to light the fire again really upset me, and OH god Mantis letting me talk to her again, but only for a few mins...I was in tears by the end.

I really really want to see a second season since the team learned so much from the first season and I think they could make something really amazing now that everything has been established. Like a real story driven season now that that we have all these character dynamics and relationships all set into gear, but I can't see it happening, after how poorly neglected its been treated. Despite the finale not immediately grabbing me I can see all that heart and passion that was put into it and I have to respect the team for giving it their all, despite that including some of the flaws.

If I had to give a rating 7.5/10 for the finale, but 8.1/10 for the series altogether.

• edited November 2017

• If you destroy the forge in ep 3, after the fight with Hala, Mantis gives Peter the option to talk with his mum briefly due to a remenant of forge power or something. If you choose to talk to her, Peter can pick 1 of 4 songs to listen to her with (which involved both of those). >!

AChicken posted: »

Okay, I can tell that choices in this episode define what songs you get at certain points. I only got that one licenced song during the figh

• That's cool. I was hoping for an option to choose what song to play in a certain moment. Guess I'll have to do that then!

mashton posted: »

(Spoiler)

• Not sure if anyone mentioned this but the after credits scene is different depending if you have Thanos to the Nova corps or the collecter which is cool.

• edited November 2017

My thoughts playing through this game:

Kinda dissappointed you apparently get nothing for destroying the eternity forge compared to empowering it.

Mantis is way too cute holy shit Im gonna die

• Peter gets to see his mom one last time so it's not really nothing.

My thoughts playing through this game: Kinda dissappointed you apparently get nothing for destroying the eternity forge compared to empowering it. Mantis is way too cute holy shit Im gonna die

• I really enjoyed it. Sure there were flaws (animation glitches beware!) but I really appreciated the length and my unique outcome. The 2nd half really was great, although I really wish I got to see the Kree being “eaten alive by flowers”. I had Bal-Dinn on my side and I really liked him as a character, even he committed matricide. It was a satisfying conclusion that filled all of the holes I had. I only wish Vyll didn’t get shot in the post-credits, that there were more songs (great choice for the Hala boss fight though), and that I could have revived Kamaria in addition to Nebula. I’ll have to replay to see some other choice impacts.

Also, single funniest moment in the entire game was the mustache in the Groot flashback. I couldn’t stop laughing.

• Well no, but you apparently get to revive her, or Drax' daughter, or Rockets girlfriend or whatever if you didnt destroy it, seems kinda tame by comparison

lupinb0y posted: »

Peter gets to see his mom one last time so it's not really nothing.

• Question. How do you get Hala to survive and get taken into custody by the Nova Corps? We were just talking and then her son just randomly stabbed her and killed her.

• You probably did not accept the deal or did not allow him to lead the Kree. I don't know how but for me Hala survived and was taken into custody by Bal-Dinn. I wonder how TellTale will handle these characters that are brought back to life in the second season.... if they are going to make a second season.

AnimalBoy posted: »

Question. How do you get Hala to survive and get taken into custody by the Nova Corps? We were just talking and then her son just randomly stabbed her and killed her.

• By the way who do you guys think is the person in the post credits scene? I think that maybe Star-Lord's father but I am not certain what he needs Thanos for.

• edited November 2017

I agreed to his terms and I allowed him to become the new leader of the Kree. The only thing I can think of was that I told Hala to trust me and she said she didn't and there'd be no tie. There's nothing else I can think of that would lead to him killing her,

You probably did not accept the deal or did not allow him to lead the Kree. I don't know how but for me Hala survived and was taken into cus

• edited November 2017

Easily. You revived someone? She stays on Knowhere all the time, and you get 1-2 lines from her max each episode. Or they are at ship and same deal. Or plot starts that your ship is attacked by unknown foe and that person die at the start of S2 (but this will be dumbest way to handle it). Its same for Nebula also, because she now doesn't have cybernetic parts so she might be bad in combat.

You probably did not accept the deal or did not allow him to lead the Kree. I don't know how but for me Hala survived and was taken into cus

• So I bingeplayed all five episodes yesterday. I enjoyed the story well enough. I felt the overall story feels slightly less-focused, but each Guardians' flashbacks were quite well done, particularly Rocket's flashback with Lylla (I won't lie, that scene actually impacted me). I greatly liked the mechanics where you can choose which Guardians to talk to while exploring the hub.

• Pretty much that althought i do feel like telltale will have some of the characters be in the team at the start but then they get injured in the middle of the mission ((Leg injury so they cant walk.)) and they just stay at Knowhere drinking in the bar and you can talk to them every time you go there in the story Problem solved ((Althought Meredith would just have to stay there anyway because she doesnt actually have any combat experience.))

Easily. You revived someone? She stays on Knowhere all the time, and you get 1-2 lines from her max each episode. Or they are at ship and sa

• is any way possible to end in a relationship with gamora in the end??

• edited November 2017

No there isn't.

bigfart1904 posted: »

is any way possible to end in a relationship with gamora in the end??

• IN YOUR FACE!!! Those who destroyed the forge.(Don't wanna be an A-hole just kidding) But seriously?? How could you resist? Your own mom is dead along with your others loved ones. Why the fuck destroy it? Even though Groot is super nice and cute and he wanted to be destroyed,still I couldn't fuckin even consider destroying it.

• Is it just me or there's a philosophy behind Groot being 100% at the end? Like he was the beating heart of the Guardians (I said it to him BTW!) and no matter what the others do, he always was the true hero.(Even got burned and never held a grudge)

• I really loved this season and I'm hoping for a second one! I felt from the beginning that the story wasn't about Hala and the Kree, but the relationships between the Guardians so I didn't mind at all, in fact I loved it, when the first half was focused on getting them all back together. Peter's mustache had me laughing so much I barely saw what was happening holy shit. :joy: But then that flashback scene with Meredith had me in tears.. that really broke my heart.

Episode 5 had the most faults that bothered me though. Like what the hell went wrong with the animation? It really broke the immersion, especially Bal-Dinn in the Milano, no emotion whatsoever. And not just that, when talking to anyone in the Milano after they finished a sentence they would just glitch in their place, really distracting. It's such a shame since that was never a problem in the previous episodes. Correct me if I'm wrong?

And then the biggest issue I had.. it was cool to assign roles but then it had no pay off? Like I was expecting a montage or something.. seeing what happens when you pick someone to do something and then nothing? Well you hear about it but come on.. that was my biggest disappointment. Truly a missed opportunity. I don't want to think that they got lazy.. :disappointed: because I really love this game.

I really loved the ending choices though! I have a second playthrough which is somewhat similar to my first but it really seems it would be so much worth it in the history of TT games to try another route.. Guess I'll give it a go.

• I was hoping even if we didn't get a cut scene for the assigned roles we gave them to play or to watch that perhaps since StarLord could see in the windows of the ship we'd catch bits of each character doing their tasks as we did our own. While that would have been really great visually, I guess I can see why they wouldn't go that direction since the ship is huge and they were all in different sections ( though all arrived to fight Hala at the same time ).

• Yeah, just seeing something through the windows would have been cool, but like you said, probably not plausible for all of the Guardians. But it's such a shame we saw nothing..

Poptarts posted: »

I was hoping even if we didn't get a cut scene for the assigned roles we gave them to play or to watch that perhaps since StarLord could see

Sign in to comment in this discussion.