Minecraft Story Mode S.1-2 - Soren Theories

Soren the Builder. Soren the Architect. Builder of Worlds. Enderfriend. Adventurer. The leader of the Order of the Stone.
Soren has many names, and there may be a logical- if surprising- explanation for all of them, as well as much, much more.

Who is Soren? Where did he come from? How great is he at building that he built himself a world above The End? Why did he live in seclusion, and prefer endermen over humans? Why was he so protective of the Command Block and cautious of its powers, while still strangely calm as if he understood them? Where did he go? How did his books get spread all throughout the worlds connected to the Portal Network? What did he know about the Redstone Heart- and PAMA- and how? What did he know about the Old Builders, and how?

There are many theories to answer all of these questions, and more! And here I want to explain all of the best ones to you in as much detail as I can. So, without further ado, let's get into it!

Who is Soren? A very difficult question to answer as Soren doesn't explain anything about himself in the time Jesse spends with him in Season 1 Episodes 3 and 4. But there are a few hints to answer these questions scattered throughout the game series.

In episode 3, Soren claims: "Well, I've found that when you give people what they want, they turn on you. They become resentful. They show their true colors." We're led to believe that Soren is talking about Ivor, but when Jesse presses who he means he yells: "All of them!" And continues to say: "It's why I prefer enderman. They always do what you expect, almost to a fault."

This reveals that multiple people in his past turned on him, at least from his point of view. But it is obvious that neither Gabriel, Ellegaard, nor Magnus held any sort of resent towards him, so who is he talking about? This is a big part of Soren's past life and acquaintances, which is an important piece in figuring out exactly who he is.

There is strong evidence to suggest- and the majority of the players believe- that before he was leader of the Order of the Stone, Soren was/is an Old Builder. For one, he is called the Builder of Worlds, which is a strong implication that he could be involved in the making of the Portal Network. For two, he is also called Soren the Architect, and the Old Builders were noted to create fabulous architecture. For three, Soren's books end up all over the different worlds- suggesting that he has traveled between the portals- including a book on the Redstone Heart, which belonged to Hadrian before he and Mevia ruined the games and Harper took it while leaving the (main?) world, which means that Soren knew about it, the Old Builders, and possibly about PAMA.

But that's only one part of the big picture. Newer theories suggest that before he was leader of the Order of the Stone, and even before he was an Old Builder, Soren was an Admin! In Season 2 Episode 3, Xara admits after shooting The Warden that she, like Romeo, was once an Admin. She later explains that there was also a third Admin by the name of Fred and that the two of them teamed up to fight Romeo for control of the world, but they lost and Fred died in the fight while Xara was stripped of her Admin powers. This statement lines up with The Warden's claim that Xara was locked in maximum in the Sunshine Institute because she had tried to destroy Romeo.

And here's where Soren comes in, because according to the theory, he is Fred! While Xara claimed that Fred was killed in the fight, this new theory suggests that he was also stripped of his power and fled, leaving both the other Admins to assume he was killed. There's no solid proof to back it up, but assuming Season 2 Episode 3 was just released so the Season hasn't been concluded yet- and it has been hinted that Soren, as well as Gabriel, may be reintroduced by the end- we're inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt. But there is enough evidence to make it a valid theory.

Firstly, when Jesse first asks in Episode 3 if he is Soren, he states: "I am. But must I be? I'm not sure if I want to sometimes. Sometimes I'd prefer to be anything but Soren... like a donkey, for example." This reveals that he has had a rough life and sometimes he wants it all to just drop away. Secondly, it is noted that Soren becomes dependant on the power of the Command Block and acted cowardly once he lost it, which shows that he depends on power to protect him, also when he runs from the Wither Storm in Episode 4 it seems to be his automatic response to danger, which supports the idea of him fleeing from the Admins. Thirdly, Hadrian has a book in his office written by Soren called A Man Forever Voyaging' which implies that he has been on the move for a long time.

More evidence for this new theory is based on Season 2. Episode 3 ends with the scene of an apparently giant enderman shrieking, and up to this point: Enderman = Soren. Besides that, Xara promises Jesse that they are going beneath the bedrock to get something that can strip Romeo of his power, and the most plausible explanation seems apparent. A Command Block. If this new theory adds up, then Soren has also been beneath the bedrock and got a Command Block, which he brought with him to the other worlds. And it really makes sense because a Command Block is not something you can craft or mine, but a unique block altogether.

All in all, Soren is an absolutely fascinating character with insane potential, so far it's only been hinted that he and Gabriel might return by the end of Season 2, but the players have already done him some amazing honor. In the end, theories are only theories, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Comments

• It's a very good one! I hope we really going to see him in future Episodes.

• Wow! You made alot of awesome points there

• Wow you really have been paying attention to him...idk WHAT happen to him I feel like he will make an appearance I just CAN'T tell WHEN

• Well, I guess the release of S2 E4 kinda dumps my theory down the garbage chute- not entirely, but almost certainly.
    But that's alright, Soren is still a character with huge potential and I can't wait to see his return to the game in episode 5.

• And don't forget, another book wrote by Soren, which mean more clues!

Frostclaw posted: »

Well, I guess the release of S2 E4 kinda dumps my theory down the garbage chute- not entirely, but almost certainly. But that's alright, Soren is still a character with huge potential and I can't wait to see his return to the game in episode 5.

• Ik he made a book read by one of the CREATORS of the world yet Telltale says Soren won’t appear! That’s absurd the fact their just basically putting his name in for no reason. He might of been a coward when he ran away but he has a juicy history and backstory. Also, sorry for this rant.

ali1382 posted: »

And don't forget, another book wrote by Soren, which mean more clues!

• Yeah, that one in Fred's house really got my attention. XD

ali1382 posted: »

And don't forget, another book wrote by Soren, which mean more clues!

• Ikr there’s no way their just going to put his name in the episodes for no reason!

• Maybe plot twist, Luna is actually Soren. Remember on season one episode three when you first meet Soren, and he tells Jesse that he wishes he could be anything else besides soren like a donkey. Maybe he decided that a llama would be better. Now I know what your thinking how could he have possibly became a llama well, maybe Soren is friends with Romeo and Romeo turned him into a llama so he could spy on Jesse. I mean Luna was the one who lead Jesse and Petra to the gauntlet in the first place, ( though that may just be because she's a treasure sniffing llama). I'm not sure if this could be true or not it was just something I thought of.?

• lol!

Kng0604 posted: »

Maybe plot twist, Luna is actually Soren. Remember on season one episode three when you first meet Soren, and he tells Jesse that he wishes

Sign in to comment in this discussion.