Fox sells themselves to Disney. What happens now?

The news just came and Disney officially owns 21 Century Fox. That’s right folks, the movie studio, Hulu, and networks associated with Fox excluding the news and sports division but apparently that’s not too far off according to the CEO of Fox.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/12/14/rupert-murdoch-on-disney-acquiring-assets-from-21cf.amp.html

Honestly, I find this to be a terrifyingly bad decision on all fronts due to how it doesn’t make much sense considering Fox were doing just fine imo without this deal but I guess good old Rupert Murdoch just couldn’t resist that Disney moo-lah not going into his bank.

Unless Disney use Fox the same way they use Miramax or Touchstone Pictures, the industry is just going to be an even more boring avenue with almost everything feeling homogenized and lacking creative expression. Disney are not risk takers, they probably won’t be for another decade, if they see homogenized gold the first time they’ll keep replicating it again and again and again and again like they do with everything they touch.

As far as Marvel is concerned, Disney would never have greenlit Deadpool, Logan, DOFP, First Class, or even the first X-Men film because they almost never want to go outside their comfort zone because it’s just “bad for business.”

I have no clue about the future, but I am terrified for what’s to come.

Tagged:

Comments

• I'm happy. Maybe now we'll get a good F4 film

• Are brands the only thing you care about?

zeke10 posted: »

I'm happy. Maybe now we'll get a good F4 film

• I care about getting a good movie

J-Master posted: »

Are brands the only thing you care about?

• Believe it or not, but this may actually be good for the industry. The fewer big boys at play, the greater the opportunity for the smaller players. Disney and FOX will no longer compete for your money. No same release date blockbusters means that if you aren't interested in the one film, you'll go see another from a smaller studio. Let all the giants merge.

• I dunno what to think about this. There are some pros and cons.

Fox has never been doing good with Fantastic Four and it pissed off the whole Marvel company, which resulted in cancelling the Fantastic Four comics.

I'm afraid what is going to happen to Deadpool. He was never a character who should be in a PG-13 rated movies. Are they still releasing Deadpool 2? If they are going to make Deadpool 3, I think it would end like a lot of weak third installments like Spider-Man 3, Godfather 3, Matrix Revolutions, Terminator 3, Jurassic Park 3, Alien 3 etc.

I hope Ridley Scott cancels his future "Alien" movies because he is not professional anymore like before and doesn't give two shits about Xenomorphs anymore. Aliens is the last good Alien film.

Someone told me that Tom Hardy is going to replace Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, I hope it's true since now the X-Men universe will end up at the Marvel Cinematic Universe. But right now, he is busy playing Venom in the Venom solo movie.

I think it's already too late for Marvel to add X-Men in Avengers Infinity War but it's possible for them to plan on making Avengers VS X-Men.

• Until Disney buys them. :)

Johro posted: »

Believe it or not, but this may actually be good for the industry. The fewer big boys at play, the greater the opportunity for the smaller

• Nevermind what I said. Disney confirmed Deadpool is going to remain rated R so we're good.

• They bought Marvel and the world didn't end.

They bought Star Wars and the world didn't end.

I don't see anything happening any different after they buy 20th Century Fox.

• They will make even more money and put their hoarded billions toward creating a new body for Walt's cryogenically frozen head.

• The world certainly didn’t end, it just got a whole lot more samey, boring, and lacking in ambition.

ralo229 posted: »

They bought Marvel and the world didn't end. They bought Star Wars and the world didn't end. I don't see anything happening any different after they buy 20th Century Fox.

• And I care about artistic creative freedom. None of Disney’s outlets recently have ever really been anything more than just decent or above average. Like I said, Disney would have NEVER let a movie like Deadpool or Logan happen.

I care about getting a good movie

• Hello, I just said, Deadpool is still going to remain rated R.

And I care about artistic creative freedom. None of Disney’s outlets recently have ever really been anything more than just decent or above average. Like I said, Disney would have NEVER let a movie like Deadpool or Logan happen.

• Well they let punisher happen and the CEO did say he plans to keep deadpool R

And I care about artistic creative freedom. None of Disney’s outlets recently have ever really been anything more than just decent or above average. Like I said, Disney would have NEVER let a movie like Deadpool or Logan happen.

It's happened. I don't believe it. Well I hope Marvel fans are happy. Fox just gave Disney more ways to gain more money and power. It's like my fears are coming true.

And I hear they've purchased Alien and the Predator series

Predator

How long before they buy the next biggest thing. Pretty soon they'll become a megacorp and just keep buying everything.

And (gulp) one day make one of their CEO or high rank officials PRESIDENT.

Oh god, WALL-E made reality.

Well, adieu the good films of Fox X-Men. For all their flaws, back in the days, to me they were what fans of the MCU is for them.

I just...

• Eh some of the X-Men films were pretty good but I always felt they focused way to much on wolverine while Cyclops who's the damn leader of the team just felt there.

MaconMajr posted: »

.... It's happened. I don't believe it. Well I hope Marvel fans are happy. Fox just gave Disney more ways to gain more money and p

• Be that as it may, despite the focus on Jackman, the entries I prefer had solid stories and despite the lack of certain characters getting to shine, I'm just glad they got the moments and time that they got. Though I agree certain characters should've gotten more. The road not taken.

Eh some of the X-Men films were pretty good but I always felt they focused way to much on wolverine while Cyclops who's the damn leader of the team just felt there.

• Cyclops has always been a shitty character im glad they never went anywhere with that.

Eh some of the X-Men films were pretty good but I always felt they focused way to much on wolverine while Cyclops who's the damn leader of the team just felt there.

• Couldn't disagree more but I respect your opinion.

Cyclops has always been a shitty character im glad they never went anywhere with that.

• Cyclops has been butchered a lot over the past few years though, he used to be the coolest X-Man to me though. He was my favourite one in the animated series as well and he wore the most swagger costume.

Couldn't disagree more but I respect your opinion.

• edited January 2018

I grew up with a guy whom loved Cyclops, but HATED him in the animated series. He was such a... knob. "You! Hey you! Follow the rules!" That pretty much summed up his cameo in each episode.

Were there any episodes that he carried? Even the one where they introduced Havok, he was a side character.

Re-edit: Wait. I think he carried the one where the Professor was abducted by aliens(can't remember their name right now). I want to hear the appeal of his character on the show. I know there's the bias of your favourite character, but there has to be something.

CathalOHara posted: »

Cyclops has been butchered a lot over the past few years though, he used to be the coolest X-Man to me though. He was my favourite one in the animated series as well and he wore the most swagger costume.

• edited January 2018

Cyclops is my second favorite Marvel.character. (Spider-Man is the first). Always thought Wolverine was a punk and wanted Cyclops to put him in his place.

Lets not forget that Cyclops is on par with Captain America as a field leader. (According to Marvel) Cyclops has spent most of his superhero career as the leader of either the X-Men or X-Factor and has developed exceptional leadership skills. According to Nick Fury's files, Scott's abilities are at their best in tense situations. Fury notes that the less time Cyclops has to think about a decision, the better that decision is. Cyclops also has extensive training in martial arts and unarmed combat, holding black belts in judo and aikido.

• That is the exact reason why I loved him though. xD He was hilariously up-tight at times and it almost felt self-aware. I haven't watched the show in YEARS, but planning to now possibly even tomorrow!

Granted, my opinion might change and I'll probably hate Cyclops now. :P But I sincerely doubt it.

Johro posted: »

I grew up with a guy whom loved Cyclops, but HATED him in the animated series. He was such a... knob. "You! Hey you! Follow the rules!"

• I'm calling it right now. Disney's going to own the world within the next few years or so.

At the rate they're going, is it really that much of a stretch?

• I agree and I fear it will become reality. Shutter to think of it.

I've made a vow. After seeing the Wreck-It Ralph sequel later near this years end, I'm abstaining from Disney. Considering of this "monopoly", I'm not going to take any more chances or give Disney any.

I'm calling it right now. Disney's going to own the world within the next few years or so. At the rate they're going, is it really that much of a stretch?

• There might not be much left for you to watch then haha!

But yeah, you're right. I mean, I've never really been against Disney, seeing's how a bunch of my favourite movies from childhood up to now have come from them. But giving one company all of that power and influence? Yeah, no thanks. That'd be like if EA had bought out Telltale and now had the rights to make all the adventure games we've been playing over the past few years or so.

I'm shuddering just thinking about it.

MaconMajr posted: »

I agree and I fear it will become reality. Shutter to think of it. I've made a vow. After seeing the Wreck-It Ralph sequel later near t

• Glad to see I'm not alone in my speculation. I too grew up with Disney but with certain titles, I outgrew them. They were fun when I was younger but the various films I grew up with came and went.

But there are some titles that still stand the test of time for me (of course a majority of them are from Pixar): Toy Story 1 & 2; Finding Nemo; Cars; WALL-E; Finding Dory and Wreck-It Ralph.

I'm scared of those executives and wondering what will they do with the additional power they have gained?

THAT I shudder to think.

There might not be much left for you to watch then haha! But yeah, you're right. I mean, I've never really been against Disney, seeing's

Sign in to comment in this discussion.