Why is In-Store DVD-ROM different?

2»

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Long live the dongle
  • edited April 2010
    Ah, the good old times, where I would stack up dongle after dongle of all the graphic apps I was using... no, wait, those weren't GOOD times!
  • edited April 2010
    i agree. what really grinds my gears is that it isn't even a hybrid disc like they did with sam and max and strong bad. i hope they did a better job with monkey island.
  • edited April 2010
    Online activation is certainly disheartening to hear. Still, the disc is free. Just lump it in to a purchase of some other fine Telltale products and pretend it's a bargain.

yeah it's free, but it's just sitting there on the shelf not being used. all the videos would've been better viewed if the dvd was a hybrid disc like all your other dvds. the shorts i have saved on my computer and i'm not even using the disc to play the game but i don't need it at all. as much as i love telltale games, i have to say i am disappointed. god i hope it doesn't feel like this when i have children
  • edited April 2010
    Online activation is certainly disheartening to hear. Still, the disc is free. Just lump it in to a purchase of some other fine Telltale products and pretend it's a bargain.

Even with free shipping, the value of the DVD will still count towards the duty free limit, so it's always better to save my free shipping for something actually worth getting. Let's hope this is a one time blunder on Telltale games' part.
  • edited April 2010
    The "value of the DVD" is $1 or less though... so it should be really odd if that's the push it takes to go over the limit...
  • edited April 2010
    The "value of the DVD" is $1 or less though... so it should be really odd if that's the push it takes to go over the limit...

I thought it was $20 or something?
  • edited April 2010
    Actually, just checked my W&G packaging (still have it 0_0), and it isn't even included at all, just the cost of the Freelance Police DVD I bought, and that's it.
  • edited April 2010
    Just found out about this since I didn't check the DVD after receiving it. That being said, I would cancel my future DVD orders if they happen to be the same. I don't mind DRM but online activation is pretty much a long-term rental.
  • edited April 2010
    The ToMI DVD wont have online activation...

S&M3 is too much in the future to give anything concrete...
  • edited April 2010
    The ToMI DVD wont have online activation...

S&M3 is too much in the future to give anything concrete...
    I'm pretty sure the future is now. For only 32 easy payments of $79.99.
  • edited April 2010
    I buckled and bought the retail version of W&G. It was only $9.99 on Amazon, but they're sold out now and the next cheapest price is $19.86.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Is the content on the Wallace & Gromit retail disc different than Telltale's disc other than the episodes having no online activation? That doesn't matter to me because I never use the disc's episodes anyway, but I'd buy it in a heart beat if it had DVD video for the shorts and features.
  • edited May 2010
    Jennifer wrote: »
    Is the content on the Wallace & Gromit retail disc different than Telltale's disc other than the episodes having no online activation? That doesn't matter to me because I never use the disc's episodes anyway, but I'd buy it in a heart beat if it had DVD video for the shorts and features.

Should be receiving it tomorrow, so I will let you know. :)
  • edited May 2010
    The videos are still just stuffed into a folder, no DVD content on the retail version either.

The disc appears to be virtually the same, but with ratings logos plastered all over it, and no online activation. Which brings up the question again, why was the "Collector's Edition" (Here having the meaning of "only collectors would want to own this, as it's the worst version to own") released with online activation?

Another interesting thing, the front of the box says "Extra Bonus Game Episode FREE!" and instructs me to check the back of the manual for my free game, upon checking the back of the manual, I find out the code is to be used for any episode of Sam and Max Save the World, and I am then greeted by this message: "Enter this code to get your free game:"

...but there's no code, haha.

Not that it really affects me, since I own Save the World at least 10 times over, but I'd imagine if this has happened to someone else they'd be pretty upset/confused.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    The videos are still just stuffed into a folder, no DVD content on the retail version either.

The disc appears to be virtually the same, but with ratings logos plastered all over it, and no online activation.
    Oh, OK then. No need for me to buy the retail one then. Thanks for letting me know. :)

I guess fans will just have to make some extras for Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures. :) I'm working on a fun extra myself. It should be done in a few days. :D
  • edited May 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    "Enter this code to get your free game:"

...but there's no code, haha.

What?!!!?

I really hope someone got fired for these discs
  • edited November 2010
    I have the W&G DVD but hadn't checked it out yet (despite having it a while now), this is really disappointing to here.

I'm happy with the online activation on the digital downloads but not on the disk version (I dislike DRM completely, its pointless & inconvenient and I nearly always try and find a nocd patch for my games)
  • edited October 2011
    Have you guys paid attention to the W&G section of the store lately? Something interesting there...
  • edited October 2011
    jweir wrote: »
    Have you guys paid attention to the W&G section of the store lately? Something interesting there...

The entry for the retail DVD?
  • edited October 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    The entry for the retail DVD?

That would be it! It showed as free for me having already owned the season. Seemed like a more decent "collectors" disc if only for there being disc vs. online only activation.
  • edited May 2012
    Got mine in retail for £4.00.
    What luck!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.