Just replayed TWAU for the first time in 4 years...

And I gotta say that this is by far the greatest Telltale game ever (except maybe TWD s1), and that it definitely withstands the test of time.

Every dialogue option leads to different conversational paths, and oftentimes whatever you said is actually remembered and brought up later by other characters. The game is incredibly mature without being overly distasteful, even while dealing with murders and strippers and the like. And much like Lee in TWD s1, Sheriff Bigby is mostly a blank slate by which the player can assign their own values and code.

This game is fucking amazing and reminds me of the golden years of Telltale when the games received proper attention to detail and were subsequently well-received by the public. And while I enjoyed the replay, it was thoroughly disheartening to see how Telltale's games have since been downgraded in terms of quality, detail, and choices/dialogue actually mattering.

So by all means Telltale, make a s2. But dont think for one second that you can do this series justice by giving it the same half-assed treatment that your recent titles have been given. By this I mean the dialogue leading to the same outcome no matter what with little to no difference, the choices having little to no impact except for a dialogue change here or there, and the narrative being streamlined down one specific linear path. TWAU is absolutely incredible in the ways that it branches out depending on your choices, and now im scared to death that s2 will get the typical Telltale treatment that will reduce its legacy to garbage.

I feel like every current Telltale employee should have to replay this game to see what it truly means to have dialogue, choices, and player interaction actually matter. Please don't disappoint us.

Comments

• Good to hear. I do plan of re-playing after I finish GOT (I never finished the series because of laptop crashes and planning to change that. :) ) It's not just dialog that I love in this game. One of things that I enjoy the most with this series is the getting the clues is always at a high price. Like with going to Toad and not Faith's husband leaves you missing clues. then in episode 3 or 4 when you find the location of the witch you can go to carin's apartment, office to the tweedles or Hollie's bar and places you didn't go first characters will destroyers the evidence.

BTW I like your review.

• Yeah, the detective work is another great aspect of the game! For instance, whoever you interrogate in episode 2 ends up giving you different clues and info. This info can be brought up several episodes later, but the cool part is that it is all determinant. I also loved the episode 3 choice to go to one of 3 different places first. There are real consequences depending on your choices.

And thanks!

Good to hear. I do plan of re-playing after I finish GOT (I never finished the series because of laptop crashes and planning to change that.

• That's interesting about all this other clues/info. I always went for Tweedle instead of the Woodsman. So I had not idea. next play through i'm going to make diffent choices. My pleasure. YOu now have me intrigue with the stuff that I missed. ^_^ Have a good day.

Yeah, the detective work is another great aspect of the game! For instance, whoever you interrogate in episode 2 ends up giving you differen

• tfw you remember the last Telltale game that felt like Telltale really cared about making a fantastic quality game was Tales from the Borderlands back in 2015

• No. yes I've played TOTB, GOT, TWAU, TWD 1 + 2 and their old CSI game. The first game that hooked me was S1 of TWD. While I love all the games that ive played the game that hooked was S1 of the TWD. for the record TWAU was the second game that hooked . so it was 2012 that I got hooked ^_^

Poogers555 posted: »

tfw you remember the last Telltale game that felt like Telltale really cared about making a fantastic quality game was Tales from the Borderlands back in 2015

• I mean, I don't even know what to say here except "Yes" to everything. You practically described the reasoning for my obsession with this game, which is also the reason why I was VERY hesitant about potential Season 2 a few months back. I think Telltale may be on their way to redeem themselves, judging from a bit better quality of Batman S2 (in my opinion at least).

• I don't know what twau has the newer games dont have. Sure, it has a really awesome main character, and amazing atmosphere, but the choices in this game dont matter at all most of the time abd currect me if Im wrong.

• Well choices do matter quite significantly compared to recent titles. You can save Prince Lawrence or not, the suspect you interrogate gives different info that can be brought up throughout the rest of the game, depending on where you go in episode 3 you can gain information or completely miss out on it, items that you find such as evidence or money can be used further down the line, basically there are a ton of possibilities depending on your choices.

Even more, the dialogue you choose leads to different conversational paths. In recent titles it doesn't really matter what you say because there will be maybe 1 piece of dialogue that is different and then everything proceeds as normal. Not the case in TWAU. One dialogue option can lead to an entirely different exchange between characters.

Abitran posted: »

I don't know what twau has the newer games dont have. Sure, it has a really awesome main character, and amazing atmosphere, but the choices in this game dont matter at all most of the time abd currect me if Im wrong.

• No choices in any Telltale game in the end really matter. Its just that back when Telltale really cared about that illusion of choice it actually felt like an illusion. In the end the probability of us all getting the same outcome is 90% but in games like Wolf or Walking Dead S1 when a choice was made there was a good amount of content that that choice made different until a certain part in the story where it all became the same. Recent games are just "o shit they made a choice we have to make it the same as everyone else within 10 mins."

Abitran posted: »

I don't know what twau has the newer games dont have. Sure, it has a really awesome main character, and amazing atmosphere, but the choices in this game dont matter at all most of the time abd currect me if Im wrong.

• Yeah that's pretty much what im saying. We all know that the end result is basically the same regardless, but at least with TWAU they bothered giving several different routes and illusions of choice along the way. Recent titles are so streamlined that it is offensive. Each dialogue option give just one different remark if anything and then it's back to the exact same outcome.

Poogers555 posted: »

No choices in any Telltale game in the end really matter. Its just that back when Telltale really cared about that illusion of choice it act

• edited February 2018

The way I see it, the whole "choices matter" thing is not about the outcome but about the journey, and TWAU was a title which had a lot of diversity and variety when it comes to that. As I always said, I feel like choices in TWAU are not about the outcome of the story but what kind of Sheriff your Bigby is and what is your relationship with other Fables. In that sense, choices DO matter and there are loads of them.

• Yeah exactly, its just like any choice made has minimal changes and it feels like Telltale after they do it goes into full on "HOLY SHIT WE NEED TO TIE UP THIS LOSE END RIGHT NOW" unlike past games. I mean I cant even remember the last time a choice in an older episode had an effect on an episode that was more than just the episode following.

Yeah that's pretty much what im saying. We all know that the end result is basically the same regardless, but at least with TWAU they bother

• I think that the latest Batman season is actually pretty good, though maybe not on the same level as TWAU or TFTB. After a few years of lukewarm TWD games, Batman S1, and Minecraft Story Mode, it rekindled some hope that Telltale is still capable of pushing out quality.

I do feel that Telltale can use Wolf's amazing atmosphere/setting/characters to make something great again, especially considering that they've made certain improvements to their engine, animation, and action sequences. And given that TWAU is probably their second most successful series, they hopefully won't shy away from giving it a generous budget, AND the proper time that it deserves.

• Hopefully, I found Batman S2 ep 4 to be kinda disappointing personally, but I wont judge the game entirely until episode 5, but I found eps 1 - 3 to be fantastic. Sadly Batman S1 and S2 have been the last games Telltale has been made that Ive truly been invested in, so I really hope Wolf doesnt suffer.

I think everyones biggest fear is that Wolf S2 is going to suck because ANF did. And it is really worrisome. I really hope Telltale is learning from that dark age of Minecraft Story Mode, ANF, and GOTG and actually make a complex story and writing with choices that matter (or at least actually work as an illusion.) Right now I really hope that the art style stays the same. Really scared if Bigby is gonna get that ANF cardboard treatment.

Piggs posted: »

I think that the latest Batman season is actually pretty good, though maybe not on the same level as TWAU or TFTB. After a few years of luke

• edited February 2018

Yeah, I've been thinking about this game recently too. Best one Telltale's put out since TWD season 1. Hopefully we'll be seeing more of it soon.

• I just started replaying it yesterday to discover I can't find my save files

• I did a replay and to make some save files for season 2. I forgot how much I loved it, definitely my favourite from telltale.

• Yeah, most of the episodes were more solid than most of TWD's, likely due to having to stand alone as an enjoyable experience and being made back when the production was still near it's most healthy. So the concern for how the follow up would go is warranted.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.