What about Harvey?

There is still something that I'm confused about regarding TEW. In my playthrough I chose Harvey over Selina in episode 2, although in the end he still becomes Two Face because of the virus that was injected into him. So here's my question:

Why doesn't Bruce produce a cure for Harvey after the events of S1? Sure it'd take time and money to find a cure for his exact blood, but I think my Bruce would at the very least look into it. Was this ever explained, or was it just a plot hole?

Comments

• Bruce can't just cure Harvey's mental illness. In regards to the virus, Bruce says that you need a sample of DNA from before they were infected in order to cure it.

• Harvey's mental illness was cause by the virus, at least if you save him in episode 2. Why couldn't Bruce obtain Harvey's DNA to make a cure?

AgentZ46 posted: »

Bruce can't just cure Harvey's mental illness. In regards to the virus, Bruce says that you need a sample of DNA from before they were infected in order to cure it.

• No, the virus brought out Harvey's mental illness that he already had. He himself mentions that his therapist is worried that the virus will cause some issues to resurface. The virus amplifies what's inside you, it doesn't create issues. And like I said, you'd need Harvey's DNA from BEFORE he was infected. By the time he's infected there's no past DNA to use.

Cdognkal2 posted: »

Harvey's mental illness was cause by the virus, at least if you save him in episode 2. Why couldn't Bruce obtain Harvey's DNA to make a cure?

• No, Harvey's mental problems were always there, the drug only forced them to come out, making them "unmanageable". Hey says it with that words in the hospital scene. Once he goes insane, there isn't a magic cure for him.

You can tell Two Face was there from the beginning if you tell him you won't continue to fund his campaign. When he says "That's dissappointing", he lets his "monster" voice come out a bit.

Cdognkal2 posted: »

Harvey's mental illness was cause by the virus, at least if you save him in episode 2. Why couldn't Bruce obtain Harvey's DNA to make a cure?

• Like Agent was saying, Harvey had the mental illness in him dormant, but the drug made it come out full force. The reason Bruce is unable to save Harvey like he did himself is because the cure needed whoever was infected's DNA before being infected. We have our DNA before being drugged (because we are batman i guess lmao) but we didnt have any DNA of Harvey before he was infected by the drug.

• You can tell Two Face was there from the beginning if you tell him you won't continue to fund his campaign. When he says "That's dissappointing", he lets his "monster" voice come out a bit.

Ooo. I haven’t heard of that before. Got a clip?

DOBLEDEDO posted: »

No, Harvey's mental problems were always there, the drug only forced them to come out, making them "unmanageable". Hey says it with that wor

• One thing I'd like to add is that the earlier versions of the toxin were much less potent than the syringe Bruce received. Though there were brief comments (more akin to outrage/shock) nodding to Montoya being further influenced by the toxin, the impulsivity it inspired tapered away with time. As Harvey wasn't targeted much later, I feel we can assume it drained from his system relatively quickly. However, even as he was no longer influenced directly by the drug, it had a dire effect on his underlying illness, becoming one of the pieces that led to his eventual relapse and fall.

That was always my theory on the drug, at least. I can't physically resist commenting on a thread with Harvey's name.

If anyone is interested in viewing the clip DOBLEDEDO is referencing, here's the scene:

It's interesting, because I've watched that choice many times and never had that impression. I always felt he was simply restraining his anger both out of circumstance (surrounded by others, maintaining calm for the coming debate) and a general tendency to engage others with understanding and control, with that demeanor possibly an effect of his past struggle and something to worsen the eventual tragedy; viewing him as a person who navigated the world with masks and felt the need to conceal personal hardships to maintain a strong image not just out of shame and pride, but also the sense of being responsible for the needs of others, finally witnessing the downward spiral exemplified by the coin was made especially difficult. The person once defined in many ways by their resolve felt too paralyzed to decide even their own fate.

Well, I went off on a tangent as I tend to. The ideas are connected, but truthfully, I hadn't at all considered that angle before. Thanks for saying interesting stuff!

• I might be wrong, but the way he says the second word just seems too similar to how he speaks as Two Face. I think the delivery was meant to imply that.

Kenny726 posted: »

One thing I'd like to add is that the earlier versions of the toxin were much less potent than the syringe Bruce received. Though there were

• Lady Arkham's drug amplifies any feelings you have which is why Bruce was aggressive when he was drugged because he saw one of his enemies take his company away from him. When Harvey was drugged he had to play the part of the mayor which is why he had a split personality develop also there are some hints that he might've had a mental disorder before but I don't think its true but I could be wrong. Also Bruce does not contain the DNA samples of every person he meets because the conversation would be really awkward for Bruce to ask for a sample of their DNA. :smiley:

• Harvey is an excellent candidate to return for S3 (along with Joker, Harley, Bane, Freeze, etc)

Tons of potential.

• wewantourboyharveydent

Sign in to comment in this discussion.