Marvel's Spider-Man PS4 Discussion

edited April 2018 in General Chat

I can't take it anymore, those recent news about the new Spider-Man game are driving me insane and I want to talk about it. This is the thread where you can post anything related to Insomniac's Spider-Man and Spider-Man himself.

Tagged:

Comments

• Sadly all the news is only through april and then we get radio silence up until release. Gonna go crazy waiting for it.

• But they will reveal the final suit from the pre-order bonus on July. It was leaked that MCU Iron Spider is the second suit.

Sadly all the news is only through april and then we get radio silence up until release. Gonna go crazy waiting for it.

• I'm excited to see what villains end up in the game. So far we have Mister Negative, Kingpin, Mayor Norman Osborn (possibly not yet Green Goblin) and Shocker all confirmed, along with Black Cat and Taskmaster in side missions. Apparently in Peter's apartment according to people who played the game there are references to past encounters with Vulture, Rhino, Kraven the Hunter and Scorpion, so it's possible they might also appear.

Other interesting stuff confirmed...

• There will be back packs Peter can track down which reveal events in Peter's life as Spider-Man before the game, since he has been Spider-Man for eight years by then. The example given was a picture and data entry about Peter making his first web shooters.
    • Players can fast track the NYC map by taking the subway, complete with Peter checking his I-Phone whilst he waits.
    • You can play as Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson in certain situations. Mary Jane's background has been changed from model to fellow reporter at the Daily Bugle with Peter, and knows his secret.
    • Miles Morales is in the game! No word over whether we will get to play as his Spider-Man too. (I'm hoping they don't kill Peter though, there's enough room for two Spider-Men... and Spider Women!)
    • Outside Spidey focused locations like the Daily Bugle and OSCORP, the game takes place in a wider Marvel universe with iconic Marvel NYC locations like Avengers Tower, Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanatorium and the Wakandan Embassy. (I'm hoping the Baxter Building appears too though with the Marvel-Fox thing I would assume not. But I'm thinking of some other logical NYC options like Nelson and Murdock or Alias Investigations.)
    • Harry Osborn is in the game, though not physically - currently in Europe he's asked Peter to check up on some OSCORP facilities and tech, which will likely lead to hijinks.
    • J Jonah Jameson has his own talk show which you can tune into and listen to his rants!
    • NPCs and New Yorkers aren't just set dressing! Peter can interact with them by giving them high fives, having a picture with them or signing autographs. I love that level of detail! Players can find them on both the ground and also on high rises having parties. They will also respond to local crimes and react accordingly.
    • Crimes evolve in the game as the story goes but will be available to deal with in numerous ways, and players won't be punished for not dealing with a crime (as Amazing Spidey 2 did). These can involve robberies which for example can turn into a car chase if one of the criminals gets away. Peter is also tasked with taking care of Kingpin controlled facilities by the NYPD.
    • There are more than 30 unlockable suits in the base game, which include ones from the comics, movies and even original suits like the base suit. Suits will have special skills unique to them such as increased damage for a limited time, but also unique quirky ones like a guitar move the Spider Punk costume can use.
    • DLC post launch is planned under the title of 'The City Never Sleeps', which features three new storylines with new villains, characters and costumes to unlock. The first of these will involve Black Cat in a museum heist.

Anyhoo, I am super pumped for this game and hope it will mark the continuation of great Marvel games on consoles after Telltale's Guardians game, since we also have Square Enix's Avengers Project in the works...

• Thanks for posting those details. I'm already convinced this is going to be the best Spider-Man game.

I'm excited to see what villains end up in the game. So far we have Mister Negative, Kingpin, Mayor Norman Osborn (possibly not yet Green Go

• Yeah, the amount of love and detail Insomniac are putting into this game is incredible, and having played numerous games with Spidey before including PS1 Spider-Man ("I bet right now you're thinking... I wish I'd taken that giant act to Vegas instead!"), Spider-Man 2 ("My balloon!"), Ultimate Spider-Man ("Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddd!"), Web of Shadows, Shattered Dimensions and Amazing Spider-Man, this is definitely looking to be really well done.

Oh and I forgot to mention... there's a Prequel Prose Novel in development called Hostile Takeover, which will cover Peter's attempts to defeat Kingpin (which is part of the early game story) and will also feature Mary Jane, Shocker and the super heroine Echo.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/17/17246982/spider-man-prequel-novel-marvel-insomniac

And if you want to keep tabs on all the info Game Informer has mentioned so far, you can find it all here, including more info about the new suit, Peter and MJ's relationship in the game, side quests and more.

https://www.gameinformer.com/p/spiderman.aspx

AronDracula posted: »

Thanks for posting those details. I'm already convinced this is going to be the best Spider-Man game.

• I bet we'll be seeing one final piece of Spidey in motion at E3.

Give us a good trailer with the true villain revealed, and then kaboom you're set for September. (The reason I think this is because the statue that comes with the Collector's edition has a part of it concealed "for spoiler reasons" and will be revealed sometime this summer. Safe to say it's probably the real big villain Insomniac hasn't mentioned yet, and will reveal sometime before Sep. 7.)

Sadly all the news is only through april and then we get radio silence up until release. Gonna go crazy waiting for it.

• Dude you been keeping up with all that reddit news eh?
    Good job transcribing all that. B)

I'm excited to see what villains end up in the game. So far we have Mister Negative, Kingpin, Mayor Norman Osborn (possibly not yet Green Go

• edited April 2018

I haven't played a Spider-Man game since the game adaptation of Spider-Man 2. This game definitely has my interest and am looking forward to it.

EDIT: Oh my God there's an Honest Game Trailer for it, oh the nostalgia.

• Best thing about it was webs actually attached to buildings instead of magically floating mid air like the amazing spiderman games ugh.

I haven't played a Spider-Man game since the game adaptation of Spider-Man 2. This game definitely has my interest and am looking forward to it. EDIT: Oh my God there's an Honest Game Trailer for it, oh the nostalgia.

• I'm not going to let a spoderman thread go on without adding these gems:

• "He's saying: You're safe now, but in Spider-Man 4 I'll shoot you with a pistol." Classic line.

I'm not going to let a spoderman thread go on without adding these gems:

• edited April 2018

The James Franco disappearing act made me lose it.

AChicken posted: »

"He's saying: You're safe now, but in Spider-Man 4 I'll shoot you with a pistol." Classic line.

• That is totally my headcanon of the movie now.

"Ooh James just pullin' the old pranks on Peter!! He's under the table, that sly magician!"

The James Franco disappearing act made me lose it.

• edited April 2018

NVM, forget what I said.

I'm not going to let a spoderman thread go on without adding these gems:

• Can't believe I missed this game. I played Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man Web of Shadows only, but both games did something better than Spider-Man 2. Still wish my PS2 was alive.

I haven't played a Spider-Man game since the game adaptation of Spider-Man 2. This game definitely has my interest and am looking forward to it. EDIT: Oh my God there's an Honest Game Trailer for it, oh the nostalgia.

• Shattered Dimensions is a fav of mine as it made each of the four Spider-Men - Amazing, Ultimate, Noir and 2099- stand out and be unique, plus the villains were great. Web of Shadows did a great job too creating a Symbiote infested New York.

• I'm hoping that if they make a sequel to Spider-Man PS4, it should be like a remake of the Web of Shadows, have Venom as the main villain, infest New York with his symbiotes and add symbiote bosses who didn't wear the suit before like Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Mysterio, The Lizard etc.

Shattered Dimensions is a fav of mine as it made each of the four Spider-Men - Amazing, Ultimate, Noir and 2099- stand out and be unique, plus the villains were great. Web of Shadows did a great job too creating a Symbiote infested New York.

• Funny enough when I was thinking about Telltale doing a Spidey game I had this idea that you could have two possible branching story lines (like Vigilante/Villain Joker in Telltale's Batman) where either Venom or Doctor Octopus becomes a villain alongside Green Goblin whilst the other becomes a hero instead. The Venom one was essentially a re-imagining of Web of Shadows with Peter and Otto forming a 'Superior Six' team with Shocker, Vulture, Morbius/Lizard and a female ally of yours (MJ Watson/Gwen Stacy/Cindy Moon/Alice Octavius) who had gained Spider abilities themselves as Scarlet Spider/Spider Woman/Silk/Spinneret.. in order to battle a symbiote infestation created by a vengeful Venom and Norman Osborn.

I'm hoping that if they make a sequel to Spider-Man PS4, it should be like a remake of the Web of Shadows, have Venom as the main villain, i

• Here is the new update about Spider-Man PS4 on GameInformer. Talking about Easter Eggs and References.

http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/blogs/generic/post.aspx?WeblogApp=features&y=2018&m=04&d=23&WeblogPostName=the-easter-eggs-and-references-of-spider-man&GroupKeys=

Spider-Man is going to be full of references to his long history and past Spider-Man stories. Some references and Easter eggs will be obvious, but others will be more subtle. We've talked about a number of these references already in our coverage of the game so far, but wanted to put everything we saw into one place, and also talk about some of the other surprises we encountered while playing.

Avengers Tower, Sanctum Sanctorum, and the Wakandan Embassy
    We asked Insomniac writer Jon Paquette about how far this Spider-Man story would stretch beyond the realm of Spider-Man's world. "We are firmly planted in the Spider-verse, with the characters you are familiar with, with all of Spider-Man’s stories and Peter’s stories," Paquette said. While everything we've seen proves that to be true, it does not outright ignore the expanded Marvel universe. We don't know if these locations will play into the story in a meaningful way, but we can absolutely confirm that Avengers Tower (complete with the Giant "A" on the side), Dr. Strange's Sanctum Santorum, and the Wakandan Embassy from Black Panther are all present in the game.

Excelsior!
    We don't know if Stan Lee will be making one of his obligatory cameos in Spider-Man, but we do know one part of the man appears in the game. We saw at least one license plate that had Lee's familiar catchphrase, "Excelsior!" on it. Knowing how video game license plates work, however, it's entirely possible that every car in Spider-Man's New York will feature the phrase.

Crusher Hogan vs. The Spider
    In the corner of Peter's apartment there is a poster highlighting his early Spider-Man shenanigans from 2010. Peter, dressed in what is probably his first Spider-Man suit, wrestled and defeated Joe "Crusher Hogan" Hogan for money. In the comics, Hogan rarely goes full-on villain, but his life is affected by that early fight with Spider-Man. Additionally, we're betting that the suit featured in the poster will be available as an unlock.

Fisk and McClintock Construction
    We saw Fisk Construction signs everywhere, which is not surprising considering Wilson "Kingpin" Fisk is a major antagonist in the game, and he has his hands in a number of different businesses in Spider-Man's New York, including construction. The more interesting construction sign we saw, however, was for McClintock Construction. McClintock Construction is a part of the Marvel universe, created for Netflix's Daredevil, and it is related to Fisk in the context of that show. In that universe, the character McClintock also has ties to Union Allied Construction, the company that worked to rebuild New York after the events of the first Avengers film. We're not sure how McClintock construction will factor in the game – it may just be a fun nod – but we definitely saw that name.

Scorpion, Rhino, and Vulture
    We know Wilson "Kingpin" Fisk, Martin "Mister Negative" Li, and Herman "Shocker" Schultz are in Spider-Man, but the game's opening cutscene offers hints for a few other villains. As the camera pans around Peter's apartment, it slowly pans past a wall of newspaper articles calling out Scorpion, Rhino, and Vulture, complete with photographs. The headlines imply that Peter saved these articles to commemorate these villains being put behind bars, so it's possible they may stay there for the duration of the game, but the prospect of getting to tussle with all three of those villains is undeniably exciting.

SwillCo Soda?
    Another element of the game's opening cutscene that stood out were discarded cans of SwillCo soda. We also saw signs for the beverage while exploring the city. SwillCo is not a brand from the Marvel universe (as far as we can tell), but we think it might be a referential cousin to FizzCo, the world-destroying energy drink from Sunset Overdrive – another Insomniac game.

Empire State University Posters
    We saw ESU signs all over the place while exploring the city. It's the college Peter attended, and in the timeline of the game, the one from which he recently graduated. ESU has been in the Marvel universe since its introduction in 1965 and has been host to all kinds of Marvel characters other than Spider-Man, like members of the Fantastic Four at different times, though I doubt any of them will appear in the game.

Norman Osborn Re-election Posters
    In Spider-Man's story, Norman Osborn was elected Mayor before the events of the game. During the few weeks of October during which the game takes place, he is running for re-election, and we saw campaign posters for his bid everywhere.

Spider-Man's Performer Is Secretly Spider-Man
    Yuri Lowenthal is playing the titular character in Spider-Man, but he is taking that role a step further by making sure he is always Spider-Man, even under his mo-cap suit. "One day, we were doing performance capture and it was the weekend of Halloween and so I wore a Spider-Man shirt, one of those Under Armour things, some Spider-Man boxers, and some Spider-Man socks and then at the end of the day I opened it up and showed it off and everyone thought it was funny," Lowenthal says, "Everyone thought it was so funny that it became a thing."

• I heard that this game might be setting up a Marvel Gaming Universe which in my opinion would be awesome!!

• Eh I'd rather they didn't have interconnected Marvel games. It sort of limits creativity if they all need to stick to a canon of whats previously happened.

I heard that this game might be setting up a Marvel Gaming Universe which in my opinion would be awesome!!

• edited April 2018

A Marvel gaming universe would be awesome in my opinion too! Its pretty much already set up because Insomniac has revealed that they are going to include The Avengers Tower, The Sanctum Sanctorum and The Wakandan Embassy!

I heard that this game might be setting up a Marvel Gaming Universe which in my opinion would be awesome!!

• I'm pretty stoked about this game. I love Spider-Man so damn much. I saw Shocker in one of the teasers! Brings back memories of a classic Spider-Man game I played as a kid. I think it was called Spider-Man 2? Not the adaptation of the movie. It had the likes of Sandman, Hammerhead and Shocker, with Electro as the main villain. Anyone familiar with the game I'm talking about?

• You're thinking of Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro from 2001, which was the PS1 sequel to 1999's Spider-Man and based on the 90's animated series.

Interesting fact: the game's final level with the final fight against a souped up Electro had to be massively changed since Spidey was going to fight Electro on top of the World Trade Center's two buildings, but of course, September 11th happened and this had to be changed, so they quickly modified the design and created a bridge between the two buildings so it wouldn't look the same. Despite this it created a bit of a plot hole in the story since Electro mentions 'Top of the world, ma!' after he escapes the museum, which was supposed to be a big clue where he is going to Spider-Man. Peter mentions he knows where Max is headed, but the actual modified location is never told to players.

Around the same time of course an entire plot line for the original 2002 Spider-Man movie by Sam Rami involving Shocker had to be removed because the villains were supposed to end up webbed in a helicopter between the two buildings, which was featured in the film's first teaser the year before release and prior to Sept 11th. Shocker was retained in the game based on the first movie however on PS2, wearing a more traditional garb than he appears to wear in the actual original cut of the film.

AgentZ46 posted: »

I'm pretty stoked about this game. I love Spider-Man so damn much. I saw Shocker in one of the teasers! Brings back memories of a classic Sp

• This is something that makes me facepalm all the time. People blame video games for reminding them bad experiences from real life when it's not even their fault and they are still doing this bullshit to games like The Last of Us 2 and Detroit Become Human.

You're thinking of Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro from 2001, which was the PS1 sequel to 1999's Spider-Man and based on the 90's animated serie

• edited April 2018

Yeah, well to be fair I think there's a difference between dealing with delicate issues, which is something numerous games have done to varied effects over the years and where the general public latch onto often as a pet peeve (despite the fact movies and television do the same thing, it being interactive bugs some people)... and the aftermath of a personal and upsetting tragedy like 9/11.

The context in the case of that game made sense at the time to me, similar to how MGS2 had to remove the Two Towers from the skyline of NYC, which let's remember includes a sequence where the Arsenal Gear crashes into the city and wrecks dozens of buildings. Even a year on from the attack Konami ended up editing the sequence significantly for fear of an upset.

There was also I remember talk about a game on PS2 in about 2003/4 where you would try and survive various real disasters with the Titanic, the Mexico City Earthquake in 1985, Hurricane Andrew in 1998 and what ended up being the big controversy, 9/11. The media I remember went majorly up against that studio, even though there was only artwork of the game's premise made at the time and just one artwork of the ruins with firefighters. I remember having mixed feelings about it since you weren't playing as the terrorists, just survivors, and I liked the premise of seeing how you would survive stuff like the Titanic, but the same time it was still close to home for a lot of people. I think if that game had been announced now and they promised to be tasteful about it, it would have been more accepted.

I think it's good to have conversations about these things in games, just as people have tried to do since the days of the original Mortal Kombat and Night Trap (which STILL many assume is a 'murder teen girls' simulator even though it was actually about saving them).

EDIT: I think this is the game I was talking about, Survivor? It was in development at the right time.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/news061004survivor

This is something that makes me facepalm all the time. People blame video games for reminding them bad experiences from real life when it's

• MCU Iron Spider HYPE!!

I knew they were supposed to announce it in Avengers Infinity War release date.

• Nice! I know we knew it was coming but it's great to see it in the game as an option. Curious to see if it has the ability to use the extendable arms as the comic version has.

Also hoping we get more movie suits, especially the Maguire costume and the Homecoming Holland costume.

• Homecoming Holland costume.

We already got it.

If you mean the normal one from Tony Stark, I'm sure there is a possibility.

Nice! I know we knew it was coming but it's great to see it in the game as an option. Curious to see if it has the ability to use the extend

• YESSSSSSSSSS

MCU Iron Spider HYPE!! I knew they were supposed to announce it in Avengers Infinity War release date.

• Oh yay! Saw a different trailer so I didn't realize it was different, nice to see the Homemade costume from Homecoming confirmed too. But I did mean the main Homecoming suit. Also hoping there will be plenty of cool comic based Spider-Man suits in the game besides the logical ones like Scarlet Spider and the black suit.

Homecoming Holland costume. We already got it. If you mean the normal one from Tony Stark, I'm sure there is a possibility.

• What are your most hoped for costumes, by the way? Here's some of mine...

Spider-Man India

Spider-UK

Spider-Man 1602

Assuming we could maybe have some female Spider characters sneak in, any of these...

Lady Spider/May Reilly

Silk/Spider Woman/Spider Gwen

And the one we probably won't get cause it's a game for younger audiences...

• edited April 2018

TBH, I never seen any of those costumes before except Gwen's but I'm guessing that the last one is from Marvel Zombies, right?

What are your most hoped for costumes, by the way? Here's some of mine... Spider-Man India Spider-UK Spider-Man 1602

• That's right. India, UK and 1602 were all part of the Spider Verse event and come from alternate realities, as is May's Lady Spider (she's a female Peter from a Steampunk universe). Silk/Cindy Moon is a recent character addition who actually got bitten by the same spider as Peter, though she got slightly different powers to him. And Jessica Drew as Spider Woman was part of a HYDRA experiment and has quite different powers to Peter, so she's less likely

I also would love it if we could get the Spider Family of the Renew Your Vows universe with Spinneret and Spiderling, but that's likely a long shot.

TBH, I never seen any of those costumes before except Gwen's but I'm guessing that the last one is from Marvel Zombies, right?

• edited April 2018

The Amazing Bag Man?

I've always loved the multiple costumes in Spider-Man games. The Black Suit has always been a favorite of mine. Even as a kid when I unlocked it in a game and didn't know the story of Venom and the Symbiote. I just loved the way it looked.

What are your most hoped for costumes, by the way? Here's some of mine... Spider-Man India Spider-UK Spider-Man 1602

• I love the Homemade suit! It's just got so much personality and you can say "It looks like Peter Parker made that" something a High School student made.

Homecoming Holland costume. We already got it. If you mean the normal one from Tony Stark, I'm sure there is a possibility.

• Coolest Spider-Man costume.

• 10/10 best costume ever.

Coolest Spider-Man costume.

• Here are the final details of this month about Spider-Man PS4 Game Informer gave us from their recent Q&A:

• Alternate suits selection will be on the pause menu (Just like in Ultimate Spider-Man)
    • No playability as Peter Parker in free roam
    • No fall damage (Why do so many people want this feature anyway?)
    • Mr. Negative's goons (The Demons) are more challenging than standard thugs
    • More types of enemies (With guns, with shields, heavy enemies etc.)
    • The whole map of the game is the main island of Manhattan.
    • Side missions confirmed
    • No loop the loops parkour mechanic
    • Difficulty settings confirmed
    • Character database which gives us more details about the characters in the game.
  • Biggest gripe about this game...continues the tradition of swinging on webs that do not attach to anything.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.