Which is better if an actor with a Main Role decides to leave a TV Series?

edited April 2018 in General Chat

Which is better if an actor with a Main Role decides to leave a TV Series (especially those that are not based on comics or books)?

1. Kill the actor's character? or
  2. Replace the actor and continue the character development?

FTWD Spoilers:

For example FTWD, the main actor wanted to leave, if the management chose 2, would you as a fan have accepted it more than option 1? or would you have agreed with the management's decision to Kill Nick

Tagged:

Comments

• If the actor in question is open to returning at some point I would just have the character do a Morgan or a Carol with leaving for a while. If the actor feel like this is a closed chapter, that he don't want to return, I'd say kill him off. A main character should never be replaced with another actor, ruins immersion completely.

• It depends what type of character he is playing, if the character is an off to the side type of character who doesn't appear often then I would go for option 1 and kill off the character because they are only in the background. If the character is the main character of the show then you should replace go for option 2 and replace him/her with either another actor or do what Star Wars is doing and CGI an actor who looks fairly similar to the previous actor in that role.

• Depends on the series. Doctor Who for example has survived for as long as it has mainly because of the ability of the main character to regenerate and change his/her features and personality. But most shows can't do that.

• I can see the latter working in sci-fi and fantasy but without special technology or magic being part of the show I'd say option one is better. It breaks immersion if a character we know looks completely different and sounds different too, although if they haven't gotten allot of screen time, people are more likely to overlook the change.

• I agree, I'm watching Gotham and they replaced the actor who played Scarecrow, because he wasn't available. Even though the actor, Charlie Tahan, did an amazing job and they replaced him with David W. Thompson, who in my opinion, doesn't do a better job as Charlie Tahan. It makes me mad, like if you're going to return the character, why don't you wait till he's available. Charlie did come back at the beginning of the current season but was replaced later in the season.

If the actor in question is open to returning at some point I would just have the character do a Morgan or a Carol with leaving for a while.

• it requires total commitment from the actors right? what if the main actors in Game of Thrones (Danaerys &/or John Snow) decide to leave the Show after season 7.

Which Would you rather have:
    1) Them being replaced by another actor/actress? or
    2) Them being killed?

• The scarecrow situation doesn't really disturb me as much, possibly because he is wearing a mask all the time. But imagine if they would change Oswald or Bullock, that would be a disaster.

protocol115 posted: »

I agree, I'm watching Gotham and they replaced the actor who played Scarecrow, because he wasn't available. Even though the actor, Charlie T

• Yeah, I get that. It's just that Scarecrow's my favorite Batman villain and to see him get replaced by someone whose not as good as the original really tics me off. Just imagine your favorite villain, who was portrayed amazingly, get replaced by an actor who doesn't do as good as a job than the original.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.