Did you give up Batman or no?

After the mandatory exhausting talk with Alfred back at the manor, he tells you that clearly Bruce is making everyone he run into suffer. Realizing that he is going to the UK, does anyone want to give up Batman for Alfred to stay? Or keep the cowl to be as Batman because you will always be Batman, no matter what.

In my normal play through, I did the obvious. I gave up the cowl so that Alfred could stay. There are some points in his speech that kind of made me feel that way, I also felt anguished to see him leave permanently, and I couldn't bear to see Bruce being abandoned alone with his only family going away. In addition, I do however believe that Batman causes the suffering of others to turn evil, so that he could destroy them with an iron fist. Not directly, but indirectly because he can be Bruce Wayne, and Bruce Wayne can make choices to suffer others as if he was in the mask.

Comments

• No way was I giving up Batman. I had just taken in Tiffany as my protege and restored my partnership with Gordon, it would make no sense to just give up on Batman after that. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, Gotham needs Batman more than Bruce needs Alfred. I also didn't fully buy into his speech because there's no doubt in my mind that Batman has done more good than harm.

• From my original discussion, I chose to give up on Alfred and remain as Batman. It did hurt when making this decision and took sometime to come to the decision. I chose to remain as Batman because:

• I got my partnership with Jim back
    • Waller and I left on a good note as allies
    • I'm now Tiffany's mentor and I want to train her
    • The destruction caused by John would have increased crime

I do agree that Batman does create the evil he is meant to destroy but he isn't fully responsible for all his villains such as Penguin. He was responsible for creating Two-Face and Joker and only inspired Lady Arkham. But the Pact would have continued their mission even without Batman. Even though Batman creates more evil but he is the only one who can stop them

When it comes to those he cares about, they do suffer because they become apart of Batman's world. Lucius joined Batman's mission because he believed in him and he knew the risk.

In one of my previous discussion, I explained that the main reason I chose to give up Alfred was because from the all the stories I've seen of Batman, Bruce always comes back no matter what.

• edited June 2018

If he wanna leave then fine but i wont give up being Batman. Its who Bruce Wayne is and he will always be, that will never change, even Alfred knows that.

• edited June 2018

Other things I forgot to mention was that Alfred said that everything has gone so grey, that we was used John Doe for things, and Bruce's ideology of catching criminals would consume him more than he ever was. Plus, he is sick of seeing his one and only child getting beaten day by day, night by night. That could also be the reason why I chosen to give up Batman for Alfred.

• Naw, I thought it best to part ways and let the old man go.

• Nah I didn't give up being Batman, If Im being honest I thought Alfred was being selfish and way out of his head.

• I gave up Bman. Definitely one of the hardest choices I've made in a game like this, but a lot of what Alfred was saying was true, and staying Batman would have just confirmed everything he had said

• We are the same you and I

Nah I didn't give up being Batman, If Im being honest I thought Alfred was being selfish and way out of his head.

• edited June 2018

I let Alfred go without a second thought. The needs of the many (The citizens of Gotham) far outweigh the needs of the few. (Alfred )

Selina (Didn't romance her myself) would probably get bored of you too if you gave up being Batman.

• You know, I'm shocked to say this, but I don't remember 100% what I did, but I'm pretty it was give up Batman, because it seemed disrespectful to Alfred, who longed had been suffering because of Batman's actions. Plus, Bruce Wayne can always be a hero, one who helps in ways that should be less harmful than Batman.

• edited June 2018

That I have to agree. I gave up Batman in my normal play through, and I don't regret it. I figured there would be grave consequences for Batman's whereabouts on the horizon that may cause more damage than good. If you look at Episode 4 in Season 2, Batman wasn't able to rescue all the civilians when John was about to turn evil on the Gotham Bridge. Plus, Chip Locke wasn't rescued by Batman at all and Batman keeps on getting gravely injured as he pits himself every fight he comes across to.

Just as Alfred said, it clouded my judgement by seeing all the other roots the season has. John becoming villain Joker, Batman's failures of saving people, creating evil he wants to destroy, and quite possibly being Bruce's inner demon.

You know, I'm shocked to say this, but I don't remember 100% what I did, but I'm pretty it was give up Batman, because it seemed disrespectf

• I get where Alfred was coming from...but I remained Batman.

Whether or not Alfred is right, the bell has been rung. If we just hung it up and retired the villains inspired by or reacting to Batman will still appear. And there will be those who fight back as well. We can stick our heads in the sand and even try to do more as Bruce Wayne, but there is a limit to that. Becoming Batman was a choice and that choice needs to be followed through.

And much like others there are those counting on Batman. Tiffany continues to need guidance to walk her road of atonement and become the hero she has the potential to be. Gordon will need Batman and is counting on him. I'm not turning my back on my allies because Alfred has reached his limit. That's fine. I can understand him feeling it has gotten too grey and he can't keep it going. But Gotham needs Batman.

Batman didn't create Mr. Freeze, or Harley, or Bane, Riddler, the people making bio weapons in Gotham, or frankly even Lady Arkham. Batman has created some threats, but without him what would become of those other threats? Who would deal with them? The world is dangerous, messy, and that's why it needs Batman. Lucius gave his life for the mission and turning back now makes that loss meaningless.

Losing Alfred hurts, but that's why Batman has been creating a circle of allies; Gordon, Tiffany, even freaking Catwoman. At his core my Bruce I've been going into this with is Batman. Even if mistakes were made he's going to keep going. Right up to that old cranky Bruce from Batman Beyond!

• edited June 2018

i gave up Alferd. Because of the same reason that @FlareKnight said.

• Do you know how many crimes would occur when they hear Batman is retired. It would just force him back to become a Batman again.

• Really? So... Maybe in a season 3, Alfred and Bruce agree that Batman needs to return? If it happens, then the final choice in season 2 was pretty pointless, if you ask me.

Bruno113 posted: »

Do you know how many crimes would occur when they hear Batman is retired. It would just force him back to become a Batman again.

• edited June 2018

It wasn't a hard choice, I gave up Batman. It fitted my playing style + always wanted to do that and I'm curious how he will return in season3. Probably won't be very spectacular but still.
    also Gotham needs Batman idea irritates me.

• No. Bruce will just become Batman again in Season 3 anyway. So it'd be pointless.

• edited June 2018

Told him to piss off witht he first dialogue choice in my 2nd(canon playthrough) after hearing his garbage in the first. Blaming me for all villians like take that eyepatch pack your bags and GET OUTTA MY HOUSE BEFORE I PUT YOU IN A GULAG IN THE BATCAVE.

• Wow... And I thought you couldn't go harsh enough on Alfred. Oh well.

Dan10 posted: »

Told him to piss off witht he first dialogue choice in my 2nd(canon playthrough) after hearing his garbage in the first. Blaming me for all

• I aim to please and not disappoint.

Camperor posted: »

Wow... And I thought you couldn't go harsh enough on Alfred. Oh well.

• Alfred already lost his eye when I refused to take off the cowl in S1 finale, and he was limping by during S2 so I didn't blame him for wanting to leave.

Regardless, I don't cave into ultimatums, so I let him go.

• I gave up the mask. Alfred was the only family Bruce had left. I couldn't leave him on such a bad note.

• edited July 2018

The way I see it, one should give up Batman if you turn John in to a villan. That's the only way to prove one is not oblivious to the fact that Villan Joker is essentially one's own fault. However if one turns John into Vigilant Joker its nearly entirely on Waller. There is no need to argue, John was right to refuse the serum to her but cmon...trying to murder him after he just helped you capture Harley? W.T.F Waller. Take the victory, let me handle John and leave Gotham! Waller: LMFAO NO I NEED THAT THICC SERUM.

• Completely True.

The way I see it, one should give up Batman if you turn John in to a villan. That's the only way to prove one is not oblivious to the fact t

• the way I see it, is that with my choices throughout the season, Gotham was relatively safe and all my allies were in the perfect position in order for myself to let Bruce retire as Batman. As I had made peace with waller, along with allowing her to keep Harley as an Agency Asset, freeing the woman I love (Catwoman/Selina), accepting Gordon's apology then becoming partners, having Tiffany as a protege, a new COO for Wayne Enterprises in Iman Avesta, and finally putting the Vigilante Joker back in Arkham as a friend and even visiting him. These all, especially the last one gave me all the evidence I needed to believe that Gotham was safe for the time being without Batman. That along with the fact that Alfred is getting older and Bruce isn't getting any younger, meaning that I want my Bruce (and I say "my Bruce" because I believe that Bruce is the real man, not Batman) to enjoy the time he has left with Alfred in relative peace, along with my choices allowing Selina to be his love interest. Anyways I'm sure that If there is a season 3 (I HOPE THERE I!!!) that Batman will inevitably return due to some substantial threat. If you agree then share your opinion, if not please share as well!

• I agree with the comment above, I secured freedom for the woman I love, Selina allowing her to be a love interest. I arrested the vigilante Joker who I’m on good terms with and I made relative peace with Waller meaning Gotham is safe until a massive catastrophe.

• Good point

Mr Biggs posted: »

Alfred already lost his eye when I refused to take off the cowl in S1 finale, and he was limping by during S2 so I didn't blame him for wanting to leave. Regardless, I don't cave into ultimatums, so I let him go.

• I didn't give up Batman. I want to keep protecting the city with the mask on in Season 3.

• I think whatever you chose isn't permanent. If you chose to give up Batman, maybe crime just gets so out of hand that there's no choice BUT for Batman to return, but if you give up Alfred, given, the circumstances would be WAY different but I still think that Telltale can come up with an Alfred Ex-Machina or some option that opts you to call Alfred for help bc Bruce has no place else to go. Or it could even be that Alfred chose to come back because maybe being away is somehow worse than being involved? (I chose to give up Alfred because he needed a break)

• I use all four of the save files you have with the game and i title them as follows.

Save File 1 re-named Good Batman
    Save File 2 re-named Bad Batman
    Save File 3 re-named Good And Bad Batman
    Save File 4 re-named 50/50 Batman

Good Batman - Gave up Alfred because as he pointed out to Alfred during their conversation there was evil before Batman and without him there would be even more (at least he thinks so) An as much as he loves Alfred he can't give up Batman not because he considers himself more Batman than Bruce but simply because he can't risk/allow Gotham to go back to how it was before not if he knows that he can stop it from happening.

Bad Batman - didn't even give Alfred a chance to explain he simply told him to leave due to the fact he isn't interested in hearing Alfred's excuses. Especially seeing as how as far as he is concerned Alfred already let him down by keeping the truth about his parents secret from him. This version considers Batman to be who he really is and Bruce Wayne is the mask he wears. He also see's things in a black and white way that way being your either with him or useful to him or your against him or your not useful to him. He doesn't care who he has to use Gordon Waller Selina Alfred John Doe. He doesn't care what he has to do whether it is brutalize Falcone break a sniper's arm or sacrifice some Agents so long as it get's the job done he is willing to do it.

Good and Bad Batman - He gave up Batman for Alfred because as important to him as what he does as Batman is it is not worth losing the only family he has left and besides he has already proven he doesn't need armour to do good he proved that when he defeated Penguin as Bruce Wayne and defeated Lady Arkham in a prototype version of the Batsuit.

50/50 - Gave up Alfred because as much of a 'thrill' as he get's being Batman (yes when Catwoman asked him at the start of episode 1 why he does what he does I had him say he does it for the thrill so this Bruce Wayne is an adrenaline junkie) An as much of an adrenaline rush as he get's being Batman he isn't willing to sacrifice his relationship with Alfred for it hence he reason why he gave up Batman.

• Once again, I find myself between the ideal option and the "what would the real Batman do" option. Bruce can never quit being Batman. That's canon in the comics. Quitting his role as Batman just didn't sit well with me... at least not in this context. If the context was something similar to the ending of The Dark Knight, however, I could at least see a good reason for Bruce quitting (because he was traumatized by the loss of Rachel). But here, quitting Batman, even for Alfred... nah. Bruce didn't even do that in The Dark Knight Rises. He just let Alfred pack his bags and leave.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.