What Are You Currently Watching?

Comments

• Ohoho, started watching Mr. Robot Season 3 and it feels so good to be back on this upside-down roller coaster.
    The music and editing is great, my brain is running at 500km/h and I'm really trying to figure out what is going on with hidden meanings in each scene, theorising and everything. I'm also in complete awe. Season 2 was good, maybe a bit too "WTF?" at the end and metaphysical, but it truly feels like that was just the setup to what might go down in this season.
    There are so many questions being set up and small reveals and wow I am on a knowledge high right now.

Only seen the first episode, but you can bet I'm going to get through the rest very soon. I really want to binge this all right now, but I don't got the time today.
    Holy harddrives, batman. God, I love this show.

• Glad you do, it's one of the big shows my mother and I enjoy watching on Netflix, alongside Call the Midwife. Hoping that Downton Abbey will eventually sneak on in its entirety. But Claire Foy and Matt Smith do a great job as Elizabeth and Phillip.

Just about done with Season 2 of Daredevil, hoping this finally means I can catch up with the Defenders shows and Marvel on Netflix whilst I also catch up with Season 5 of Agents of SHIELD. My binge watching of How I Met Your Mother is also proving legend.....wait for it...ary!

I haven't decided if and when I'm going to commit to a HBO show or the Arrowverse universe yet, but it's on the list. The vast, unending, terrifying list. :#

Et_Caetera posted: »

The Crown. Love it, though I just started.

• SAME!! I just watched the first episode and holy hell. Shit's gotten real af.

It reminded me of why I love this show so much. And [character name], how could you!?

AChicken posted: »

Ohoho, started watching Mr. Robot Season 3 and it feels so good to be back on this upside-down roller coaster. The music and editing is gr

• I need to catch up too so I don't miss out!

Ohoho, started watching Mr. Robot Season 3 and it feels so good to be back on this upside-down roller coaster. The music and editing is gr

• watching that new Netflix docuseries “Evil Genius” it’s pretty good

• edited May 2018

Been over a year since I last saw Stranger Things; otherwise, all I'm watching right now is the Vegas Golden Knights of the NHL. Only one win away from an appearance in the Stanley Cup Final.

• I've not been watching anything for months but now I'll watch season 2 of 13 reasons why, I really liked the first season but I'm not excited about the second one, I feel like the story is complete and there's no reason to make another season, I'll give it a try anyways and comment my opinion when I finish the season...

• Dragon Ball Super English Dub Episode 64. Birth of Merged Zamasu.

• edited July 2018
    (wow I didn't realize this thread died out in may. oh well)

I've been alternating various shows, but one I'll be focusing on soon is a little animated show called Final Space. Netflix has been throwing it at me for the past few days so I figured why not.

I have not seen the show... yet... but I have seen the pilot (which is probably like a prologue to the show?) It's interesting. It's got humour, it seems deep, doesn't seem too goofy. Yeah...

Pilot episode

Series Trailer

Follow up on previous statements: So, I watched the first two episodes. It's good so far. Not great, not amazing at everything it hopes to achieve, but it works just fine. The humour is a kind of lite-adult humour, probably mostly just aimed at teens. (I was under the impression it was another adult-oriented show and expected some crude humour and rock-hard dialogue. This is not that. It does get slightly gory though!)

Characters, and what I think of them (of the first two episodes):

The main character Gary is your typical "blinded by his own [lack of] coolness" trait-wielder. He's kind of a doofus, he thinks he's always awesome when in fact he isn't, though he does have his somber or self-reflective moments.
    Mooncake (the green orb-shaped alien) is absolutely adorable. No problems with him so far, but that's probably because he hasn't done much and can't speak.
    HUE, the ship's computer (or maybe Gary's eternal robot warden that's implemented into his suit?) is fun. He's got the voice of HAL 9000 though he acts more like a guardian and keeper of Gary, probably because he's meant to ensure he serves his prison sentence.
    KVN [pronounced 'Kevin'] is.... there? We haven't seen too much of him other than he's supposed to keep Gary from going insane, but he's mostly just gotten on Gary's nerves and serves as his emotional punching bag the entire time. I have no opinion.
    Avocato is the bad-guy-turned-good character who makes a deal with Gary to retrieve his son. We don't know too much of him yet, but I do like him.
    The Lord Commander is.... also there? He's basically a brooding villain (actually played by David Tennant in an American accent, and then heavily modified to sound deeper). We really haven't seen much of him, but I hope we do soon! He could be an interesting powerful enemy...
    There are other characters whose names slip my mind, but they really haven't had much screentime yet.

The music in some scenes is really nice. Very spacey.
    There's some odd 3D CGI work when Spaceships are moving around, it's cool but kinda odd to look at.

I've heard the show gets better later on.

• Just finished 13 Reasons Why.

I really liked it. It handled a lot of mature topics very well without shying away from the gritty details of them. Characters were interesting and engaging. Humour was good when needed.

And Hannah's final scene made me feel sick. Its been a looong time since a TV show has made me feel like that.

So yeah. Pretty excited for season 2 although I'm skeptical about it.

• I began watching The Clone Wars, starting with Season 2.

• I started The Walking Dead a week ago. Done with 5 seasons. Started season 6 today. It’s good. You should watch it, if you haven’t

• I've been meaning to start watching Walking Dead S8 for ages now but i keep putting it off. I feel like after watching 99 episodes and spending more than 72 hours watching the show it's too late to stop. Maybe once i finish Black Mirror, i'm on Men Against Fire right now.

• Glad that you're enjoying it but after Season 6, you might get bored of it.

I started The Walking Dead a week ago. Done with 5 seasons. Started season 6 today. It’s good. You should watch it, if you haven’t run 3

• I love the walking dead tv show. Imo season six was a pretty good season, season seven though was awful, season eight got more interesting and season nine looks amazing.

I started The Walking Dead a week ago. Done with 5 seasons. Started season 6 today. It’s good. You should watch it, if you haven’t run 3

• edited July 2018

FINAL SPACE: I finished it super quick.

Do I recommend it? Yes. Is it for everyone? No. The main problems I have is the fast pacing and the extreme abundance of cleverly-worded but unfunny jokes. It's got heart, and if you can stick it out for most of it (or the whole show, it's only Ten 20-minute episodes), you might come out feeling good about it.
    If I were any good at rating things I'd give it a 6.0/10, but I'm not and I'm way too nice so I'd really probably give it a 6.5-7.
    Review with spoilers below.

This was a good show. Not super good -- there are things I've got problems with and would like improved -- but it was very nice and I'd love to get a second season.
    It's also one of the very few shows I managed to binge, and I'm not a binging person. (Started on Monday, ended on Thursday night). Granted, I did finish this show faster than expected so I may have missed a few things that I'll probably get wrong here.

So, what was good:

• That 3D layering of Animation.
    • The Soundtrack! Wow it was great!
    • Some of the Humour.
    • All of the Avocato.
    • Those unique previously-on segments.
    • The show kept on rolling through the end credits.
    • "Chooooo~kity. Pok Pok!" ...I mean what else is there to say?! That I don't like Mooncake? Pah! You fool!
    • It showed some great heart and depth in many moments. The framing devices at the beginning of each episode were wonderfully sombre.
    • The incorporation of the Pilot Episode's jokes and themes. Those were cool details to see.
    • I've got my own personal headcanon that Gary has gone slightly (more) insane during his prison sentence, and that's just why he acts the way he does. He doesn't understand social situations.

What I didn't like (big and small stuff):

• Olan Rogers' name is third on the cast list. (Seriously?! I know big names sell shows, but it makes no sense to have that order of the first 3 characters mixed up. Have Gary come first!)
    • The humour did not land all the time with me, and unfortunately most of it is rooted in Gary. I thought his quips and jokes were very clever and unlike anything I'd heard before, but not many of them were funny. I think had there been more of a balance in "let's get serious" plot vs. "remember this is a light-hearted show" quips it would have been much better. There's also the timing of them which brings me to my next point...
    • The pacing. This season doesn't seem to have enough time to get everything squished in. Each episode is about 20 minutes instead of 25 or so, and during that, each episode tried to tell a cohesive story within those 20 minutes. The problem I have with the story being unfolded and the characters being introduced is that I don't think we get enough time with them. Most of the time is focused on Gary, and while he has some depth, I think too much of his character is focused on the manic comedy. We don't get to see him get serious with other characters (since his logorrhea of jokes is always at 100%) or even just see other characters doing their own thing. Another thing building off of my last point is the timing of the jokes. There aren't many pauses between dialogue or during/after a joke. I didn't get many moments of 1-2secs of suspense leading up to the punchline or a bit of time to savour the quip after it had occurred. It was mostly just "okay now we move on to the next dialogue GO!" The slow moments, the sad moments, the genuine human (and cat, and other alien) moments were such a treasure to me. They really grounded the show in some parts and I'd love to see more of it. Episode 4 was gorgeous, so was Episode 8 with Bolo and the flashback/time travel thing.
    • Another thing is character development. Since a lot of the time is spent on the jokes, I find that we didn't get much genuine interaction between the characters. The love interest trope unfolded into romance between the two a bit too quick for my liking, Tribore was severely underused and I would have loved to just see more of him and Quinn out on missions or something, they seemed like an interesting pair (his continued appearance in the intro made me think he'd be a significant character throughout the season. Only really got his time in the last 2 eps.) The constant killing-off of potentially interesting antagonists or protagonists: Conan O'Brien's character and John DiMaggio's character both got killed in the span of one episode (and even scene!) I kind of expected them to linger a bit and cause a nuisance to Quinn, hunting her down... Nightfall both reveals herself to the crew and leaves them in the span of one episode. That was kind of disappointing as I thought she'd be a valuable, mysterious, and useful ally.
    • I will agree with other people that unfortunately, the Intro needs a makeover. The Theme Song is amazing and I need more of it but the general animation and presentation leaves a lot to be desired. It misrepresents the show in what characters are prominently featured (coughcoughTriborecoughcough), oddly placed one-time jokes: KVN kissing Beth the Fridge, and just doesn't look all that great. 2D does not usually translate well to 3D.

So... yes. This is my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the show, and I'm on board for a season 2, but I think it needs a bit more substance in normality for it all to work well together. There's a lot more to this universe than we have yet to see... It's still pretty mysterious.

Either way, I'm so going to watch this one again. Probably soon. Probably this week. Probably tomorrow. I finished this show in less than a week -- something I never do -- so that has to mean something good, right? (though yes the episodes were pretty short)

One more thing: I used the magic of Netflix downloads to watch most of the episodes during my commute to and from work this week. It's safe to say that my attention span was quite possibly not the sharpest in watching the show during all that, and I could have missed some stuff. This strictly at-home viewing I'll be doing should help me in remedying that.

(wow I didn't realize this thread died out in may. oh well) I've been alternating various shows, but one I'll be focusing on soon is a li

• Serial Experiments Lain

• Started watching mr.robot a few weeks ago, im about to finish season 2 and it has been pretty great so far. Rami malek is really likeable and a joy to watch

• Yes they still do monster episodes, with angel and demon episodes as well. however the human element is much more cheesy then before.

• I recently finished Orange is the New Black season 6. Going to start this show called The Forest. It's about a teen girl who disappears from a village near the Ardennes Forest, and the local police are trying to find her. From the trailer it sort of gave me The Killing vibes. Hoping it turns out to be good.

• Currently stuck between seasons 2 and 3 of Fargo. Amazing show. I’m really digging the different atmosphere and theme in each season, the great acting and catchy soundtracks. It’s that kind of series where you can savor every camera shot and every script line.

• edited August 2018

Really enjoying The Office.
    It's got a lot more plot, story and continuity than I expected when I first started watching the show. (and by "the show" I mean Office UK. Started with that one before moving on to the US. Both very good.)

Just recently finished Season 3. It's getting so good and I'm really invested.

Karen is EEEVVVIL and I hope she either leaves or gets hit by a taxi. Her relationship with Jim and aversion to Pam really grinds my gears.

• edited August 2018

I am currently watching Sharp Objects from HBO. It's a really slow mystery-crime-thriller about sudden murders in a small city. It feels like Big Little Lies and True Detective: S1 made a baby. Really, really good thanks to its intuitive style of editing.

I finished Succession, also from HBO, a couple of weeks ago and its also really good. Basically a mix of Arrasted Developement and Billions. It's really fucking funny at times, but it handles its more dramatic and serious moments really well, as well.

I'm currently doing a rewatch of The Leftovers(HBO, too), which is probably one of the most moving and best tv shows of the last ten years. The themes, the characters, the acting, the story, the cinematography, the unbelievable soundtrack. Everything about this show makes nearly all the other shows feel insignificant. It is THAT good.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited August 2018

I've lately been watching Better Call Saul. I'm usually not one to binge watch shows, but BCS somehow got me hooked and I'm now up to the current episodes.

Surprisingly enough, I like it way more than Breaking Bad (which I also binge watched a few years back) and I find the slow burn character drama in this show more compelling. Sure, the dramatic moments aren't as high as what you'd see on BrBa, but I feel that the overall quality is more consistent and the storylines are more compelling overall.

• I don't watch TV or an anime(not anymore). I have Netlfix, Hulu, and STARZ. Most of the time I just watch old cartoons and stuff. Sometimes I check out movies.

• Decided to forgo a few days sleep this week to binge Westworld season 2. Glad I waited, I'd have lost my mind watching weekly. They nailed it again.

• Disenchantment - Enjoying this show from the creators of The Simpsons. It's like, Futurama was a riff on the sci-fi genre, and this is a riff on the fantasy genre, and I kinda dig it.

Queer Eye - 'Cause I need something that's 100% wholesome and feel-good, plus the self-care tips are legitimately helpful information.

• inside out is one of my new fav movies. everyone should watch it.

• edited September 2018

I watched season 2 of Iron Fist and season 2 of Atypical.
    Iron Fist I though was pretty boring, though the cliffhangers and reveals at the end did give me some hope for season 3 (if it ever gets made).

Atypical I just absolutely love. Easily one of my favorite Netflix shows.

Now I'm watching season 2 of Wynonna Earp. I like crappy horror shows like that and similar shows like Van Helsing, Z Nation, Ash vs Evil Dead, From Dusk Til Dawn, etc.
    Don't judge me.

• american horror story S8

Game of thrones onwards

• Big Bang Theory, it's really sad they are having one more season and then its cancelled.

• edited September 2018

Finally finished a few lingering shows on my plate, so now I can focus on new stuff.

@MetallicaRules

Edit: Three minutes in and I'm already laughing! Quality show! Great animation too!

• i finally found the time to finish twin peaks s2. that finale was a trip. and it ended on a cliffhanger! gotta see the movie now, then start on s3.

• I want periodic updates regarding your thoughts on the show. Trust me, it gets better with each and every season, you will absolutely love it.

And yeah, the humor is honestly one of the best parts of the show. It perfectly balances comedy with drama, knowing when to be funny and when to be serious, which is great.

Finally finished a few lingering shows on my plate, so now I can focus on new stuff. @MetallicaRules Edit: Three minutes in and I'm already laughing! Quality show! Great animation too!

Finally finished a few lingering shows on my plate, so now I can focus on new stuff. @MetallicaRules Edit: Three minutes in and I'm already laughing! Quality show! Great animation too!

• One of my favorite moments in avatar was when Roku went into the avatar state when fighting sozin. Almost looked like meditation.

• edited September 2018

In the US, no, but apparently it is in other countries. It's bullshit I know, but what can you do? Maybe with Netflix confirming a live action Avatar series, Avatar may be put up, but I don't know.

Dex-Starr posted: »

• Dude, fucking spoilers

One of my favorite moments in avatar was when Roku went into the avatar state when fighting sozin. Almost looked like meditation.

• Avatar's on Canadian Netflix, my friend... 3 seasons of it.

• Sorry, I thought you were rewatching it.

Dude, fucking spoilers

Sign in to comment in this discussion.