Would you like Telltale to have it's own canon?

I've read the comics and really enjoyed them up until a certain point. I'm not sure if this is just me but I do personally prefer the feel of TWAU. I felt TT's version was a lot grittier and noir than the comics which is what really drew me in. What would you guys prefer? If TT followed the canon or shied away a little? I'm up for the latter because I feel there's a lot more they can explore without having restrictions but at the same time they can stick to the main basis of the comics. As for the whole Bigby and Snow thing, being a fundamental part of the comics, maybe their romance would initiate differently (if the players decide to initiate at all).
What do you guys think?

Tagged:

Comments

• edited July 2018

While I love TWAU (it's my favorite Telltale game), I don't really like the comics, so I wouldn't mind if Telltale took a different direction with it. But I think they'll stick with Fables canon and it's okay by me.

• Yeah I would love that. Now that I know a little about the canon of fables, I know Snow and Bigby almost certainly won't stay dead or become a couple.
    That's definitely going to remove a lot of the tension from certain scenes so yes, I would love to see them just take it in their own direction

• I would prefer if they stay with the cannon. Sure theres a lot of potential in having a cannon where anything can happen, but I just like how it is set in the real cannon. I also doubt Bill Willingham would let them do their own, he seems really big on wanting his series to stay cannon, with only one exception ever happening. Also it would be kinda weird that S1 was cannon but S2 wasnt

• I actually like how no matter what we do Bigby and Snow cant get together yet, kinda makes it tragic

Cdognkal2 posted: »

Yeah I would love that. Now that I know a little about the canon of fables, I know Snow and Bigby almost certainly won't stay dead or become

• Cant wait for season 2

• Personally, no. I feel that the story would go a bit too off track without the canon.

• Good point. They should include a scene where something actually happens between them but for some reason or another their memories are wiped. Ooh damn that would be tragic

Poogers555 posted: »

I actually like how no matter what we do Bigby and Snow cant get together yet, kinda makes it tragic

• edited June 2018

Eh, they could but something like that already happens in the comics, and I doubt they would want to be rehashing anything.

They could always make some dream sequence type thing if they wanted though.

girlmer posted: »

Good point. They should include a scene where something actually happens between them but for some reason or another their memories are wiped. Ooh damn that would be tragic

• I agree. The comic canon is just restricting them. I gave the comics a try and they aren't nearly as good as Telltale's game tbh.

I say dump them and do your own thing!

• I think what I preferred about TWAU is that it felt more 'realistic' in a sense. Okay yeah they're fables but they made them and their situation feel so real. Also, I absolutely loved the noir / grittiness of it.

Journey95 posted: »

I agree. The comic canon is just restricting them. I gave the comics a try and they aren't nearly as good as Telltale's game tbh. I say dump them and do your own thing!

• To be honest, I'd prefer if they go with their own cannon, if they follow the comics they will have much less options to do with the story

• Hey Poogs are there trade paperbacks of the fables series...I mean all of it? I would love to get into it, but hate the idea of missing a storyline because it diverged into different comics set in the same universe.

I actually like how no matter what we do Bigby and Snow cant get together yet, kinda makes it tragic

• edited August 2018

The only way I was able to read them was through each Volume, which was a collection of story archs, so paperbacks. The earlier comics were online too, but yes there are paperbacks that go under Volumes 1 - 22, the wiki shows the name of each volume plus the issues covered for reference. I would also recommend going to the library if you want to save some money, they surprisingly had each volume except for the recent ones (but that was back in 2015, so yours may have all of them)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fables_(comics)

(Link machine broke apparently, just copy and paste that)

Hey Poogs are there trade paperbacks of the fables series...I mean all of it? I would love to get into it, but hate the idea of missing a storyline because it diverged into different comics set in the same universe.

• Thanks Poogs!

The only way I was able to read them was through each Volume, which was a collection of story archs, so paperbacks. The earlier comics were

• personally, yes. i really, really disliked the comics and thought that one of twau's biggest strengths was how it could take the premise and (really unlikeable) characters and put an interesting spin on both that you wouldn't get from the source material. there are so many inconsistencies and differences in the game anyway that it might as well be its own separate universe, and i kind of wonder if that was the original intention and they only have to claim otherwise because bill willingham is making them, so it's just easier to go all the way at this point. if they did it with batman and it worked, they can do it again here.

• If TellTale is granted the ability to create their own canon how would they do it? Would be like a multiverse? Would it start with all the Fables in the Homelands? I personally think that they should create their own canon to avoid limitations set by the Fable's comics like Bigby only having to chase a suspect five times, that means we can only have three more chase scenes before it makes Bigby a liar in the first issue. I think that perhaps something with magic should be used to create their own canon like a portal or something.

• Im sure Willingham would allow Telltale to let Bigby have more chase scenes if necessary, could easily be said Bigby was exaggerating.

If TellTale is granted the ability to create their own canon how would they do it? Would be like a multiverse? Would it start with all the F

• Poogers! Any luck with those socks? Just kidding! :smiley:
    I always felt that Bigby was exaggerating or joking around. However, he does not always need to chase a suspect perhaps he is chasing someone who has information that Bigby already knows is not involved in whatever crime the villain has committed so perhaps that might allow Bigby to have more chase scenes. :wink:

Im sure Willingham would allow Telltale to let Bigby have more chase scenes if necessary, could easily be said Bigby was exaggerating.

• edited November 2018

Without much knowledge of the comics outside of what I've skimmed here and on TVTropes, yeah, kinda.

I was honestly under the impression that this was an original property going in anyway and the fairytale in New York setup is somewhat rife for more stories.

@girlmer I felt TT's version was a lot grittier and noir than the comics which is what really drew me in.

Really? Cause I heard the comics is a little more scummy, if I had to put it someway, particularly where Beauty & Snow's characterizations and whatever happens to Crane is concerned.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.