There's a new Sheriff in FableTown...and his name is **DABIGRG!**

edited October 2018 in The Wolf Among Us

[Witty Fairytale Greeting], ya'll---DabigRG here!
Bought this game a month or two ago at Gamestop and new Xbox One powerbrick came early on last Wednesday, so I was finally able to play TWAU Season 1 Episode 1 this morning!

Here are my thoughts and notes throughout actually playing it:
Episode 1: Faith

• Title Screen

• What is up with this title screen music? Its more musical than the walking dead,
    • There are Fables living in Fabletown, New York. They used a spell called Glamour to blend in.
  • Toad's Apartment

• Bigby seemingly voiced by Adam Harrington(Andy St John).
    • Characterization: Is strict & a little gruff, but reasonable. Just doing job and enforcing the law for everyone's sake. Focuses on keeping things in order and getting to the bottom asap. Keeping the fables secret is main priority, but occasionally betrays charity for the little guy...or toad. Caring and protective of Snow in particular. Can employ tact and guile in potentially hostile situations. Tries not to provoke unnecessarily, but will demand answers at first or next opportunity.
    • Mr. Toad. Schlubby Cockney superintendent. Has harder time affording increasingly shoddy yet expensive Glamour for family. Threatened with living on farm.
    • Sternly stressed Glamour law, but sympathetically pointed out that just doing job.
    • The dialogue prompts sometimes go pretty fast
    • Fables can take a lot of punishment. Like, a lot.
    • Woody. The Woodsman. Drunk with hairtrigger temper. Somewhat egotistical about being a hero.
    • Not sure how to feel about Toad yet. Or Woody, for that matter.
    • Prostitute/WorkingGirl. May be Fable as well, considering. Pointed out necktie for some reason. Came for $100 for pimp/boss.
    • Gave own $51 to help her out.
  • Opening Credits

• 15+ minutes in and we're just seeing this.
  • Woodlands

• Bigby clearly has Lee's walk in freewalks
    • "Smallest apartment"
    • Beauty was hiding behind tree, for some reason. Hiding from Beast. Is either Nikki Rapp or Melissa Hutchinson--can't really tell.
    • Said I'm staying out of it
  • Apartment Front Desk

• Tried repeatedly to wait guard/receptionist. No sheep.
    • Tenant listing:
    • B Blue. J Hornet K Cole B Beard
    • G Rimble F Catcher
    • Sheriff didn't get permanent listing
    • Beast caught Bigby in elevator. Looking for Beauty. Convinced something bad may be going on.
    • Lied about seeing Beauty.
  • Bigby's Apartment

• P Pennsylvania case file along with B Blue. Bigby doesn't trust Blue
    • Doesn't keep much in refrigerator. No ice(put water in the thing, idiot). Can't remember ordering Chinese.
    • Why the fuck is there a Pig in his apartment?
    • Name's Colin. Smokes. One of the three little pigs, apparently. Quotation marks on "little." Lives on Farm Bigby can threaten Toad about. Moocher with slight victim complex. A bit of an asshole with hurt feelings, but kinda funny and realistic too.
    • Said it's better to be feared than loved, said can't change the past--Colin says you also can't change memories,
    • Let Colin have drink
  • Very early next morning

• Working girl was beheaded and left on Apartment door. Snow found it. Deliberately placed. Supposedly killed by magical item
    • Necktie with ring was placed in mouth
  • Town Hall

• Ichabod Crane is Acting/Deputy Mayor in King Cole's stead. Snooty Alcoholic and Unappeaseable Asshole, Gets massages habitually under stress, didn't provoke him as superior.
    • Buffkin, Flying monkey/gargoyle, Alcoholic, Librarian and record keeper.
    • Tipbits from book:
    • Woodsman's axe was enchanted by Druids.
      • Mr. Toad apparently comes from some fancy family/clan original. If he didn't doctor the book, anyway.
    • Faith Donkeyskin. Cloak to hide beauty from father, who wanted to marry(?) someone of equal beauty to wife. Married to Prince Lawrence. Turned Prostitute to make ends meet.
    • Red "didn't make it out"
    • Seven Dwarves look creepy. Bigby would rather forget them? No comment from Snow at all.
    • Toad had a friend Badger. Likes privacy.
    • Beauty and Beast during "happier" days. Beauty holding mask of Beast's head, for some reason.
    • Wonder if Mirror could show what was happening with Toad's office if asked
  • Leaving to Next Investigation

• Went to Toads apartment. Probably should've gone to the Prince, but wanted to check the kid and see who was searching the place.
    • Toad Jr. Super tiny. Scared of Tweedle. Has bug collection. Possible crush on Snow. Voiced (kinda badly) by Melissa Hutchinson.
    • Search place thoroughly. Tried to be a little tactful at first, but patience wore thin by window search. Considered searching TJ's room.
    • Started to intimated Toad several times, but held off on actually attacking. Final time had Grab option--just what I was wanting.
    • Honestly thought Dee/Dum was hiding somewhere in Toad's own room, but he apparently left through window...somehow.
  • Faith's Apartment

• Prince Lawrence. Supposedly killed himself. Must be fable as well, as he was actually still alive. Did something to or maybe even blames Faith.
    • Asked who did this to him. Should've asked what happened.
    • Toad's Apartment was mostly waste of time, albeit concerned one. Should've came here first.
    • Dee(and Dum). Hiding in Lawrence's closet and ran like hell. Not very good Fable. Working for someone, possibly pimp? Owe Dum asswhooping.
  • Cab Ride

• Tried to tell Snow appreciation of help.
    • Told Snow to leave the system if it'll get things done. It's about what's best for her, not Bigby.
  • [Seedier Side of Fabletown] Bar

• "I never turn to drink, it seemed to turn to me" ~Benjamin Franklin :joy:
    • Dart Board names: GR, H, and WD
    • Holly the barhostess, sister went missing, Devil monster thing.
    • Initially danced around with affable small talk before eventually getting to the point. Asked for line(?).
    • Sat next to man from Town Hall. Said stool was only spot next to him..
    • 'We reserve the right to refuse service' Wonderful timing
    • ''I am the Eggman Diner'
    • 'Restrooms are for regular customer and employees only--Tough Shit' :lol:
    • Woodsman was there to rob Red that day. Became hero because Big by was there wrong place wrong time. Only got free drinks out of it instead of cash reward.
    • Gren. Man at Town Hall earlier. Friend of the Woodsman. Seemingly one-eyed with clear fake. Hates the Woodlanders for ignoring poorer Fable troubles. Blank eye had faint cornea before transforming. Fish monster likely from Beowulf.
    • Didn't rip arm off. Kinda have to wonder why Holly transformed too if she wasn't gonna do much of anything, especially since Glamour is apparently expensive.
    • 'Free beer tomorrow' Once again, great timing.
    • Dee/Dum came in. Offered a hundred bucks for information on something. Tries to run opposite of Woody.
    • Went after Dee/Dum's fatass, let Woody escape.
  • Final scene

• Crime scene in Woodlands. Left Dee/Dum on streetlight(can't he just break that?). Must have been another murder.
    • Why were those cops seemingly trying to stop Sheriff Bigby from entering the crime scene?
    • Audibly said son of a bitch.
  • Next Time Segment

• Wow, just flew right into that without saying so, didn't we?
    • Titty in the background
    • "It's a serial killer" No shit.
    • Holly be like "I'm acting"
    • Crane did something
  • Choice Results

• Named Pimp as suspect at some point.
    • Who the hell is bald guy at the last choice?
  • Credits

• Pierre Shorette wrote
    • Erin Yvetee? Kid Beyond(Andrew Chaikin)? Brian Sommer? What is this, a TWDG Season 2 reunion?
    • Mr. Harrington plays both Bigby and Woody. ...Interesting choice.
    • Gavin Hammond plays lots of extras.
    • Chuck unpronounceable as Colin and Buffkin

Overall, this was a good start to a good game that really gets you into the way the world works and had quite a bit of charm at points.
Ironically, the only real complaint I have fresh off the first episode is that it goes on for just so long enough that I felt a little drained around the bar sequence and had to step out for air, sunlight, and a takeout plate.
Oh and there were a few moments/areas where freewalk was a tad unnecessary/limited.

Comments

• edited September 2018

Glad you enjoyed it,keep playing it gets better,it's my favorite telltale game.

And you should've gone to the prince first !!!
    oh well

Also it's Melissa Hutchison voicing Beauty not Nicki rapp.

• Yay! Should've gone to Prince Lawrence first though. The way you document this stuff makes it seem like those old Choose Your Own Adventure books, lol.

• edited September 2018

@Ghetsis Yay! Should've gone to Prince Lawrence first though.

Yeah, I realized that halfway through the Toad investigation, but stuck to it. The episode was just starting to go on for a little long by that point too.

Funnily enough, part of the reason I went with Toad was because I vaguely recalled @marcost29 mentioning the choice as misleading during his TWDGSeason 2 review, but didn't remember what the consequence for what was.
    Cave Story, this aint.

Also it's Melissa Hutchison voicing Beauty not Nicki rapp.

Yeah, I think the credits mentioned that.
    Plus, there was a modelswap video with mostly corresponding TWDG characters a while back.

@Ghetsis The way you document this stuff makes it seem like those old Choose Your Own Adventure books, lol.

Isn't that essentially what these game are anyway, tho?

iFoRias posted: »

Glad you enjoyed it,keep playing it gets better,it's my favorite telltale game. And you should've gone to the prince first !!! oh well Also it's Melissa Hutchison voicing Beauty not Nicki rapp.

• You finally played TWAU Episode 1, yay! I am glad you enjoyed it. :)

• Fergie! Where the FUCK have you been, girl?
    :grin:

Fangirl101 posted: »

You finally played TWAU Episode 1, yay! I am glad you enjoyed it.

• Nice to see you enjoying the game so far RG, imo the rest of the season gets even better so look forward to that :smile:

Thanks!

Cocoa2736 posted: »

Nice to see you enjoying the game so far RG, imo the rest of the season gets even better so look forward to that

• Life kidnapped me. :D
    I didn't have Internet connection nor TV for 6 days and it drove me insane!(I haven't watched Suffer The Children because of that) Thankfully, they fixed them 2 days ago. Also, I've been busy with my studies.

DabigRG posted: »

Fergie! Where the FUCK have you been, girl?

• Oh shit, you too?
    Same thing happened to me a week or two before the hurricane. On a Sunday. When everyone else was 100 miles away. And I had a bunch of stuff I wanted to watch.

Anyway, feel free to take your time getting up to speed. Nice to finally here from you again.

Life kidnapped me. I didn't have Internet connection nor TV for 6 days and it drove me insane!(I haven't watched Suffer The Children because of that) Thankfully, they fixed them 2 days ago. Also, I've been busy with my studies.

• I told you! It is a really fun game...but man, they really mix real world problems of poverty and crime in it...oh wow...true social commentary in a game.

Oh shit, you too? Same thing happened to me a week or two before the hurricane. On a Sunday. When everyone else was 100 miles away. And I h

• Yeah, seriously.
    I didn't get to talk with them as much as I would've liked, but I could the bitterness coming off of Holly and especially Gren.

I told you! It is a really fun game...but man, they really mix real world problems of poverty and crime in it...oh wow...true social commentary in a game.

• Oh that is only the start..

Yeah, seriously. I didn't get to talk with them as much as I would've liked, but I could the bitterness coming off of Holly and especially Gren.

• Dammit, if only I didn't have numerous assignments and upcoming midterms due.

Oh that is only the start..

• Schoolwork is important. maybe you will find time this weekend.

Dammit, if only I didn't have numerous assignments and upcoming midterms due.

• Grandma's birthday is Saturday, so....

Schoolwork is important. maybe you will find time this weekend.

• edited May 2019

Yeah.. I do recall your comment in the Whatever's on your mind! I am sorry this happened to you, it really sucks. I am glad everything is okay now, though.

Anyway, feel free to take your time getting up to speed.

There are many new threads to catch up to here, I am sure. :(

Nice to finally here from you again.

Right back at you.

So, do you like the Book Of Fables? I don't think you talked about it.

Btw, 2 days ago I had a dream about you answering the PM I sent you a while ago. :joy:

Oh shit, you too? Same thing happened to me a week or two before the hurricane. On a Sunday. When everyone else was 100 miles away. And I h

• Yeah.. but the problem was in the entire building, the neighbours also didn't have Internet or TV.

Oh.
    You live in an apartment?

I do recall your comment in the Whatever's on your mind! I am sorry this happened to you, it really sucks. I am glad everything is okay now, though.

Yeah, that was pretty infuriating.
    Is everything getting back in order for you as well?

There are many new threads to catch up to here, I am sure. :(

So, do you like the Book Of Fables? I don't think you talked about it.

Oh, you mean the one that they use to identify the prostitute?
    Yeah, I thought it was a simple, yet fitting way of getting some of the backstory/origins established.

Yeah.. I do recall your comment in the Whatever's on your mind! I am sorry this happened to you, it really sucks. I am glad everything is ok

• edited May 2019

Is everything getting back in order for you as well?

Yup, it's okay now!

Oh, you mean the one that they use to identify the prostitute?

This one:

Yeah.. but the problem was in the entire building, the neighbours also didn't have Internet or TV. Oh. You live in an apartment?

• Good to hear. :smile:

Oh shoot, I didn't even notice that. Is that what those notifications were about?

Is everything getting back in order for you as well? Yup, it's okay now! Oh, you mean the one that they use to identify the prostitute? This one:

• edited October 2018

Okay, so with the hurricane turned tropical storm miraculously leaving us with power(if a dodgy internet connection for a while) despite there apparently being a damaged powerline somewhere, I went ahead and used that free time to play

Episode 2: Smokes and Mirrors

• Previously segment

• Why are these next time scenes out of order?
      • I like how you can see the spot where Gren's arm would supposedly tear off at
    • The Afternoon after

• Was upset with interrogator Brannigan and called her out on her ignorance. Asked about nosebleed (lol anime?).
      • Oh shit, Obadiah Stain! Oh, it's Crane. Spared no expense on memory wipe. Surprisingly tall.
    • Driving

• Someone's not exactly happy. Crane is subtly trying to deal with what happened to Snow in his own way. Wants to stop the murders as soon as possible.
      • Ignored him. Explained Dee is working for someone.
      • "Will you be next"
      • Dwelling isn't helping. Relented.
      • She wanted to change things.
    • Woodlands Basement

• Blueblood. Already "questioning" Dee. With a knife. Might be Dave Fennoy.
      • Crane doesn't like violence as a mean, unlike him. Got a bit of Carlos's face and walk.
      • Dee is a dick. Looks like a frog himself.
      • This isn't funny. (Note: replayed this scene a number of times for info and "best" results)Asked about Toad's. Not messing around. Threatened with Witching Well. Punch (I think). Accused him of looking for revenge on Faith. Tightened straps. Showed Snow's photo (Lol at Bluebeards face). Claims to be good friends with Beauty, who spoke positively of Bigby. Called Crane out for the way he treated her.
      • Suddenly Snow! And what's up with her voice?
    • Front Lobby

• Admitted to thinking she was dead and being scared. Grateful she handled things and asked about her wellbeing. Said it wasn't her fault. Said I'd figure it out cause I'm the Sheriff.
      • Snow got a call from Toad about his son finding a body after taxi. Feels killer may have been after her. Looks like I wasn't the only one who thought it may be glamour. :smirk: Doesn't want to just hang in the business office with Crane anymore. Has been taking care of herself for centuries (damn, that old? Really?)
    • Business office Late afternoon

• Tarot cards: heart of swords--appropriate. The Moon--deception and confusion.
      • Crane's been taking antacids.
      • Book of Fables Beauty and Beast always put on a show for each other.
      • Beauty asked Buffkin to investigate a general profile--including Bluebeard. And a Neighborhood watch from the Mundies.
      • Toad and TJ we're asking the mirror for something. Asked Mirror about it. It was Cinderella and Rapunzel? Asked about Sum, that piece of scum. Then saw Woody getting drunk, the helpful bum.
      • Toad demanded apology for hitting him (?). Told TJ he can help and apologized. He goes swimming at night. Offered to talk about it later and to take his time. Headless woman with cement shoes? Said it was my job and that he shouldn't lie. Ask if he saw anyone, recognized their voice, or heard anything else. Let him go and asked for a call.
    • Witching Well Chamber

• Wonder what's down there. Still down there.
      • Examined body. Found a brooch. From the homelands. Buffkin never saw its symbols before. Had scrapes on legs from Mundy drugs. Suggested it could be a cheap glamour. Snow thinks it may be illegal--black market, as suggested by Buffkin. Pried open fist to get Lilac petals. Pointed it's not Snow after she opened the coat. Asked if Snow was also wearing silk lingerie. Found same type of perfume with instructions to use it (!). Found curving with locker function--, the password is deer. Admitted was still figuring it out.
      • Dr. Swineheart is examining Faith's body.
      • "Snow, mind if I open her coat “~he says while reaching for it.
      • Was tempted to break character.
      • Told Crane the glamour was defective. His lack of reaction to Snow suggesting they regulate was off. Audio nearly cut off when he said they should get someone to look at the curving. Stayed silent. Racist against trolls.
      • The curving had a deer password and contained hair and Snow's half of a picture with her sister Rose from her apartment.
      • Was Snow angry cause she was intentionally set up or because Bigby sniffed the hair someone got from her? :lol:
      • The glamour'd body was a troll. Holly? No--her missing sister Lily (wow).
      • Abstained on whether Snow should go to Holly's or not. Kinda wanted her to go anyway, but also wanted her to be safe.
    • Trip Trap Bar Early Evening

• Jack. Seems oddly familiar with Big by and Snow for this neck of the Woods. Sure liked to talk--probably more than Dee. Questions Holly and Gren getting together a posse, but being afraid of Big by.
      • Is Crane banned from the bar?
      • Holly hides the drinks when The Wolf comes round.
      • Played coy again at first, but admitted it hasn't been good. Questioned that it wasn't Dum running his mouth. Got Holly's attention before throwing Jack out for bringing up Lilly. Was gentle about telling her. Couldn't say anything afterwards. Eventually questioned Georgie’s fees and ask if there was anything to be done for Holly. Promised to check with Crane about the body.
      • "Go fuck on up a beanstalk, Jackie boy."
      • Gren took the news worse than poor Holly at first.
      • Holly cracked a mug and a bottle, then blamed Snow for not being the one. Was that purple line always on her back? Her smile about going to the business office looked weird.
      • The brooch is some very old. Holly didn't actually talk much with her sister. Lilly just got swept away by life in the city. She was hooking to pay down Mundy debt. The only people who knew her we're at the Pudding and Pie (put it in pie?), particularly Georgie, the owner who charged her fees.
      • Trolls burn their dead by sunrise--to protect their souls from Old World shit.
      • Beauty was impressed.
      • Was that hole always there?
    • The Pudding and Pie

• "Please have fare ready when reaching destination"
      • Harlot putting out cigarette looks kinda bad. Face seems a little too inanimate--either she's an extra or she's up to no good.
      • Strip club with pictures of Chippindale!Adonis up. Getting mixed signals.
      • Told Harlot I'm looking for someone. Claimed to have a way with people. Asked about Lily. Told Georgie to fuck off and said glamouring Lily was sick. Showed glamour box. Tried to the radio off and tried to ask about Lily's client again. Asked about the book--three strikes, keg’s out! Should've been another option to torture the radio. Finally got him in the gut. Pointed out people are dead and threatened to destroy place.
      • And suddenly tiddies. Oh, I remember this from modelswap. And those too.
      • Honestly hung around a bit.
      • Georgie Porgie. Nice guy. Fan of the little Mermaid, apparently. When shit happens, he hears about it. Real fuckin big talker about Bigby liking to hurt people. Really pissed about knocking off his own radio--I mean really pissed. :lol:
      • Everyone keeps discreet by taking their cut and looking elsewhere otherwise.
      • "Fuck you Georgie."
      • Oh, they got Morgana here too?
      • Did she seriously just start dancing cause Bigby was looking?
      • "These lips are sealed." One of two arc words. Only this one seemingly means something.
      • Hans. Floorsweeper and Bouncer (?). If Ben was a Norwegian bodybuilder. Does not sound how you'd expect. Suggested Big by check the book.
      • "Crowd Control" Black comedy. "Hey, that's my personal property!"
      • Oh, hi Paddle holdin Sarah!
      • Mr. Smith hired Lilly as Snow White. #207
      • "What's 207?" "Idk, millimeters maybe?"
      • "Sub-or-din-ate! I don't give a damn if you know what it means or not.”
      • Found Cubbies. Lilly's was empty. Faiths had the makeup and jewelry boxes broken open. Lilly left her a note.
      • Nerissa. Holy shit, she is the Little Mermaid! Asked about Lily.
      • Oh shit, getting A Single Pale Rose up in here. Couldn't resist the dumbness-snark.
      • "Are the legs a glamour?" Such a funny line played seriously.
      • Holy shit, that money was there for a reason! Also, dat face.
    • Open Arms Hotel

• Was that officer there seeing his daughter?
      • Cola –“it'll kill ya” (* takes puff from cigarette*)
      • Wtf--Beauty?! She works the front desk to pay rent. Didn't tell Beast because pride. Took out a loan from the Crooked Man (?) via Dee. Maybe they should've cast someone else.
      • Said I don't have to do anything. Suggested she tell Beast. Asked about Faith. Said concealing her identity was no problem. Tried to go easy on Beast. Still gauged his eyes. . Said he likes it rough and that Georgie took advantage of her. Skimped opportunity to say murder makes him hungry--said it's like the book.
      • "Oh, oh yes ...the Troll" fuckin racist. :lol:
      • "Johnzens--I think the last ones are jokes."
      • "Have you seen Snow here?" --honestly thought that was a joke by this point.
      • Couldn’t resist going for the door option. Also, "I can't just let you go into any room you want. What if someone's in there?“ ~said about Room 203. Which she unlocks. :joy:
      • And then there's Beast. Why is he even here? Ended up opening the door for me--with me.
      • Oh, another from a modelswap. Without Kenny's voice coming from Luke this time.
      • Mundy version of Snow White's story?
      • "Fuji red delicious empire? " wtf
      • "That makes him some crazy, insecure deviant!"
      • "I thought you were the only one who smoked that crap brand."
      • "Who drank wine." "Classy."
      • "He's not just a freak--he's a vile freak."
      • "He's a real predator." "Yeah."
      • So sophisticated, this one.
    • "Final Scene"

• Is someone watching them on the Mirror-- Are you fucking shitting me?!
    • Next

• An actual message. Blueblood. Dum. Gotta go wolf.
    • Results

• I shut Crane out?
    • Credits

• We now have Cissy Jones, Molly Benson, Kevin Howarth (Georgie), Colin Benoit (Jack Corner), Sandy Deloga, Ben Knoll (Clever Hans), Julian Kwaneski ("John"), and Michelle Rodrigez (Hooker :lol:)
      • Who’s Kelsey and Vivian?
      • The Woodsman was in this long?
      • Hi Colin

Well, that was definitely something. In some ways, I'd say this episode was even better (and/or longer). In other ways, I'd say the sense of humor got a little off/unintentional after the halfway point. Also, maybe it's because of numerous pauses and rewinds at points, but this episode really felt like it took forever to complete--I started around 2 and finished after 7. Yeesh, seems like this game is doing everything TWDG skimped at thus far--for better and for circumstantial worse. Hopefully, next episode will be both easier to get through and a good throttle now that a number of pieces are in place for a stride.

• I assume you live in a house?

Oh shoot, I didn't even notice that. Is that what those notifications were about?

The ones on the right? Yes.

(I "love" how you ignored my dream...)

Good to hear. Oh shoot, I didn't even notice that. Is that what those notifications were about?

• I assume you live in a house?

:smirk: ...No.

The ones on the right? Yes.

Ah, interesting.
    Might have to give those a read at some point.

(I "love" how you ignored my dream...)
    Btw, 2 days ago I had a dream about you answering the PM I sent you a while ago. :joy:

Well, clearly you didn't dream about me addressin the dream itself.

I assume you live in a house? Oh shoot, I didn't even notice that. Is that what those notifications were about? The ones on the right? Yes. (I "love" how you ignored my dream...)

• edited October 2018

One church anniversary later and episode 3 was ripe for the picking.

Episode 3 A Crooked Mile

Previously On Segment

What was that narration about the town about?

Open Arms Hotel

Called creep and emphases finding Snow because she might be in danger.

Beauty being a bit of a hypocrite. Though that explains why Beast is so dumb.

Asked what beauty meant.
    Snow been through "things" that'd make the news worse?

Buckingham Bridge

Didn't interrupt, apologized, said I didn't know, tried to talk to Snow before revealing anything, connected Lily to Crane, apologized for the news, showed photo, thanked Nerissa, asked why they're here, asked about their boss, asked them to leave everyone alone, told Dee to stop, said it's not worth it,.

I'll miss worrying about you, our fights, you~Holly. :cry:

Who's Vivian?

Okay, what is that inktrail on Holly?

Dat delayed reaction.

Did Holly catch wind of what's going on already.

For a second there, I thought the game froze. And suddenly Dee and Dum--why are they here?

Oh shoot, Gren grew a pupil....
    Dang, I forgot how huge Holly is. ..Not-not in that way, obviously.

Rewinded several times to see what I could do. Didn't what Holly to get killed at her own sister's funeral.

Business Office 1143 Pm

Asked about everyone else, said it's not up to me, asked for other leads, said I wasn't sure, hated how they got away, asked a what was on her mind, said I don't enjoy it, deduced that Crane took a piece, asked how long it'll take, asked what else Buffkin found, said she didn't wanna know, told Bluebeard to get out but asked what he knew, said Snow can handle things, asked where to look, mentioned that both would be smart, told him to stay out of it,

I know it was there the whole time, but the snowflakes on Snow's collar are so dumb.

Dr. Swineheart #1 Physician.

Good thing Buffkin stayed hidden.

Thank goodness everyone is alright

How the hell is everyone finding out?

Crane has a personal witch? Actually, that makes sense. And he's meeting her at 2.

Ewhewhewhew!

Notes from Way land Smith about The Farm, Mr Toad about Getting his shit together, and Boy Blue & Pinnochio about air conditioning. This fool ain't been doing shit.

"Who elected her to spend my money?!"

Checked Crane's apartment first, then the trip trap,

Ichabod Crane's Apartment

Room 1901 Briar Rose, 1902 K Thrushbeard,

Who the heck was that? And The Crooked Man again.

Oh, he taught someone named Jeremy.

Confiscated money, took key, grabbed Jack, let him yammer, demanded answers, asked about witch, asked if someone sent him, investigating, asked what he meant, threatened to take him in, agreed but checked truth, try again, told him to keep quiet, said it's not important(was tempted) , said it's probably connected, suggested checking the records,

Why would you keep a statue of something that terrorized you?

I'm not a mathematician but I know 2+2 is 5, am I right?

Auntie Greenleaf

Ah shit, he is working with the Crooked Man.

Of course, because why halfass bring a complete sleazeball.

Trip Trap

What did Gren do? And who is he talking to? Oh, Woody. Okay, I know you're drunk...or high. Both.

Barmethodal ambrosia. Big word Woody.

Came on in, asked for Holly, asked for Lily's things, called Gren out, got to the point, did nothing, asked what the problem is, asked about witch, thanked Green, lied, said I cared, apologized, said Bigbys trying to do right, told her not to worry.

"Im too out of it to get into it."

Dat moment when you realize you've been playing without subtitles.

Drunk idiots.
    Oh boy, there go that pupil again.
    Oh man Woody.

Gren won't remember this.

Missed opportunity for a voice actor joke.

Wait, how old are these people? And they were friends with Dee?

...What?

Auntie Greenleafs apartment

Listened then kicked, argued that Crane is there, apologized, asked her name and said I'm the sheriff, asked about Crane, asked Snow for help, figured something isn't right, asked about the form, demanded answers, asked why she's helping Crane, said she should fear me, argued her usefulness, hired Greenleaf to keep an vice on her.

Rachel. A kid?! That voice sounds familiar...Kath Soucie. Your art teacher sounds like a jaded misandrist. I'm gonna go ahead and assume she's Greenleaf. Called it. Nice try with the photo though. Born in the woods to a jackal and a deer?

Mighty old to be your mom. Lol Honky Donk.

Do you have any pets? Not technically. What's that supposed to mean?

The Butcher? Why would she...oh no...

What's going on with the quakxing?

The Rig of Protection. Crane's looking for information cause he's"innocent." Heh.

Pudding and Pie

Punched Georgie, arrested, told him the rig won't work, asked what's wrong, ask how she'd know, said he knows something, there's a bigger bad, made him get up, called his shit,

Go Planet!

I mean, it was kinda obvious.

"Ambitions"

Ending

"Goose?" What, is there a Giant involved?

Oh shit, driveby. Oh, it's a mafia interception.
    That's not much better, but I'll take it.

Bloody Mary. And the villainess finally shows herself. Is that Kari Walhgren? A casual sadist this one. Wait, then what's her real name?

Dang, is every female taller than Bigby?

Asked what she wants, flashed authority, let Dum live, told them to leave,

Wait, I thought Dum was the one with the fedora?

Did she just bark?

Wolf took how many bullets today? Damn.

Where'd she get silver bullets? Better yet, how'd she get Woody's axe?

Is the Crooked Man a vampire or somethin?

Did she seriously just call him that?

Next Time

I'll say.
    This asshole again?
    I should've known she did know something more. And not Vivian(?). Huh.
    Yay, Colin's back! I wonder if the Farm is involved then.

Credits

It took me this long to realize that the Little Mermaid is voiced by a Benson.

Lawrence is in this episode?

Who's Flycatcher(Dustin Rubin)?

Oh, so its Laura Bailey as Greenleaf. And Rachel.

Who's Kat Cressida?

This episode was considerably more easy-to-sitthrough/attention-holding than the previous and thus the plot definitely got an upgrade. I rewinded a number of times because I was legitimately curious how things could alternatively go down and while there wasn't too much different, it was neat nonetheless. Although I will say that the Business Office--one of the more interesting hubs through the first two episodes--got a downgrade here. Granted, it makes sense given what's going on, but it's just a bit of a letdown. The Book of Fables wasn't even selectable this time like it was previously(for some reason). With that stuff aside, everything else was great. Auntie Greenleaf's was a place where I didn't change my dialogue that much and instead decided to see how much dialogue Rachel had. Probably should've seen the ending coming by this point, given the episode number and what not, but it worked well enough aside from the possible mixup.

Also finally decided to check out a few entries in The Book of Fables(Bigby1, Snow, and Faith). Once again, this game does things I've felt the Walking Dead should've been doing--even if this is both unexpected and yet very fitting.

• Decided to take the day off and got to play the penultimate. Also, finally remembered to turn on the subtitles. :sweat_smile:

Episode 4 In Sheep's Clothing

• Previously On

• So I guess The Farm is finally gonna be in this. Toad wasn't wearing a hat then! Oh shoot, we never did find that last shard. Awkward cut, Beast and Crane. Long live the Queen?
    • Bigbys apartment Early Morning

• What an odd reaction/pose there, Wolf.
      • Damn, she really did mess him up.
      • What happened, this is the job, i'll be fine, don't distract the doctor, she has enough on her plate, don't worry about me, I'm here for you, this is bigger, thanks Snow, of course I'm pissed, this about them, what do you mean, i had no choice, thanks Colin, calm down, she knows something, Snow will come around,
      • Ew
      • Cheeze-its! Also,suddenly Colin.
      • Aw...
      • "Colin." "Swiney."
      • Why are you touching that?
      • "Pure as driven snow"
      • "I'm a pig! Not a mouse with a hat and a cane"
      • Nerissa...Wait, how does he know her? :lol:
    • Security Office Morning

• I've been better, what did Crane want, more on Crane, is this about Faith and Lily, i look out for everyone, take your time, it's not how it looks, can't we take it off, I'll fix this, what are you afraid of, she told me enough, they called for a reason,
      • Oh, she smokes Shorette's instead of Huff n Puffs.Cute.
      • No friends left.
      • Seems like a good thing I asked first.
      • I love how this emphasis on doing things by-the-book came with a black jacket.
      • Beauty came to Snow and Crane before being turned away to the Crooked Man
    • B&Bs apartment

• Someone's not seeing i2i
      • Being a cagey wet blanket again, I see
      • You called?, invite me in, I thought you were in debt, what trouble are you in, other people are in danger too, get that, tell me who called, have you seen the Crooked man, Mary got the axe from there, what we're you delivering, you do their dirty work, I don't need to, you want me to kill him,
      • Nice excuse for a hub. No, seriously, it fits.
      • Smallest apartment? I thought that was Bigby?
      • I don't know if I said this or not, but is Beast supposed to look like an evil Bibgy? Also, I looked at the previous results before starting this episode: does everyone just hate him?
      • Again, probably should've gotten Nikki Rapp instead. Would've made for a funnier casting gag too.
      • Expensive, huh? Hmph. Ah, so you ARE both spenders. That clears it up.
      • Finally talking with some sense
      • The Lucky Pawn, eh? Jersey? As in Jersey Devil?
      • So, Woody sold his axe.
      • The Cut Above? Is that where Rachel got her meat? And The Beast delivers there. Wonderful. And it's run by Johann the Butcher.
      • Went to the Lucky Pawn
    • Lucky Pawn

• Toad trying to pawn off Faith's Donkeyskin. I forgot he even had it.
      • Where's your glamour Toad, Isn't that Faith's, I don't set prices, the loans aren't worth it, offered Toad money, there's always the farm, I'm asking the questions, what about those loans, what kind of things, tell me about Jersey, it's sad to see it here, I know what it's like, you lied to me, I want the truth, where does she live, hi fellas, I got questions, tell me what you know, restrain Jersey, watch yourself, hit him with needles, threw anvil, where is crooked man, how do you contact him, oh yeah I got you, will Mary be there, stay silent and left, give him a smoke, I'm planning on it, I'll see you around.
      • Okay, I was wondering about how that worked with the glamours and shapeshifting.
      • Oh, so y'all agree on that much, eh?
      • "Spare me a lesson in hoodoo economics"
      • Who is Cindy?
      • Why doesn't he just use the skin to hide himself?
      • Damn, this loan vampire a friggin harvester.
      • Jack refuses to take a loan from the Crooked Man and works when Jersey isn't around.
      • Things on display include: Blacksmith's anvil, Headless Horseman statue, Lawrence's dagger, Cracked crystal ball, Enchanted pin cushion and needles that may have belonged to Briar Rose,
      • and...a Big mouth singing bass?!
      • Dickery Dock sound the mouse and the clock.
      • That's him? This old porn directin' looking mook? ....Shhhit!
      • Jersey Devil. Manager of Lucky Pawn. Psycho. Wise guy. Turns into visceral deer monster.
      • So the axe was stolen.
      • Good thing Woody was here, for once.
      • Ow, shit!
      • The Crooked man lives in the bends and forts of tree roots, behind the sun in the shadows. The door to his house bounces around and never in one spot. He uses couriers(ravens, goblins, Tweedles) for everything.
      • Crane used the mirror to contact the Crooked man.
      • "Mirror mirror, fuckin shit"
      • So it was at the butcher shop, The Cut Above.
      • "Now leave me so I can find some aspirin."
      • Wait, it's right next door to the Trip Trap?
    • The Cut Above

• Stop smoking, been there already, I nearly killed him, I'm coming to help you, you're acting suspicious, tapped his shoulder, talk or else, I'll deal with what's behind that door, who locked the door, that's enough, okay I believe you, I could have dealt with them, ill sort this out, we'll find a way to protect you,
      • Johann the Butcher
      • Knows Bigby. Knows something else. Does half decent job at making small talk aside from stutterin. Was threatened into let Mary use the meat locker years ago because of a heatwave. Kept money.
      • ...Is that Terrence McGovern?
      • "This is her place" And apparently, those aren't your lips.
      • A mini meth lab? Who was chained up back here?
      • "RUN!"
      • That coat. Damn, figured as much. The last shard!
    • Fabletown Business Office Evening

• "Seems your dog wants a biscuit."
      • Crane used the mirror to find him, take a number, Crane had it on him, Hey I tried to pay you, give Toad Crane's money, I did the right thin, it's about control, is that a good idea, show me where the Crooked man is, I'll bring him back alive,
      • Mary once used the Magic Mirror as a gateway.
      • Dat leap. Dat smile. :lol:
      • Oh boy, that might not be such a good--oh! How...surprising. Oh shit!
      • "Oh, that explains the sting...so I'd rather not feel the pain she brings."
      • Oh ,so the seal affects random doors for his couriers. And now it's at the Central Park Conservancy.
      • What's up with the beat I'm the background?
    • Gothic Bridge

• Wait a minute, isn't this where...?
      • Boot, shake hand, you were expecting me, I'll follow you, it's dangerous for you to be here, working here means you're involved, wait for him, who's back there, waited to listen in, smoke
      • A church?
      • Tiny Tim?! Well that's a random occurrence. And why is he still handicapped? Nice young man, though. Apparently accepted by Crooked Man.
      • Everything Crane does?
      • Well looks here--its all the Gang! --And Vivian? I was onto something the first time.
      • The Crooked Man. Ew...that's him, eh? An underspoken old man in a nice little suit, with a cane and nasty-ish left eye. Believes that every Fable has a role to play.
      • Woah, I saw that game!
    • Next time segment

• Getting ready for the final bout, Bigby did some shit back in the day, Werewolf Bigby is back, another tall old man eh?.
    • Results

• Looks like people we're even split on the Farm, though few lit one up.
    • Credits

• Grendel, Holly, and Greenleaf were in this episode?
      • And again, who is Flycatcher?
      • Philip Banks Crooked Man
      • Bobby Vickers Jersey
      • Noam Komah Tiny Tim

Overall, this was an...okay episode. There were a few neat moments and the Pawnshop hub was great, but thus far, I was mainly just comfortable coasting through it.

Next time is the finale.

• Dude you can do your stuff however you want but perhaps you could put in a little more time in your actual 'review' segment? Summaries are fine I guess, but still.

Decided to take the day off and got to play the penultimate. Also, finally remembered to turn on the subtitles. Episode 4 In Sheep's Clo

• Were you writing this while you were playing? :lol:
    Glad you are enjoying the game, btw!

Decided to take the day off and got to play the penultimate. Also, finally remembered to turn on the subtitles. Episode 4 In Sheep's Clo

• That's exactly what I've been doing. Give insight to the pseudo-note-taking process when I rewatch certain episodes for material.

@Ghetsis Dude you can do your stuff however you want but perhaps you could put in a little more time in your actual 'review' segment? Summaries are fine I guess, but still.

Is it a review? Like, I get what you mean--be more direct and assessing regarding how the episode's gameplay, story, and characters feel at face value--but that's sorta not much of a priority with this thread.
    There will always be time to talk more solidly about how I feel about them once I have the whole season(and maybe a second playthrough) under my belt.

Also, I pretty much admitted that I was partly coasting through this second to last episode. :tongue:

Were you writing this while you were playing? Glad you are enjoying the game, btw!

• Okay, the finale is now!

Episode 5 Cry Wolf

• Previously On Segment

• Faith! Is Lilly supposed to have Snow's hair? Greenleaf!
      • Guess Bigby's back story and The Farm are finally relevant.
    • Opening Credits

• Oh, getting this out the way, huh? Guess this really is serious.
    • Crooked Man's Lair--Night

• That's some interesting egotism you got there--glass paintings.
      • "Gramercy me"?
      • I'm here for one reason, you killed those women, Jersey told me you did it, Who did it, I'm the law here, Why'd you do it, I'll take both of you, I told you,
      • Yeah, kinda figured that.
      • Ooh, I was tempted to finally get em.
      • Georgie? Really? Nah, by all means, please keep joshin me.
      • A little surprised to see Vivian's loyal, but I guess it's not much.
      • Nice attempt to make this scrawny Porgie look sinister there, guys.
      • Okay, that was a nice entrance.
      • Uh, is the game supposed to take that long?
      • Oh, you know I been wantin to get you!
      • Oh, you really wanna lose the other one too, huh?
      • Okay, something is definitely not running right here.
    • Street

• Oh no you don't... You're gonna tell me where Mister Doesn't-Get-Out-Much is!
      • Uh wait--aren't you NOT supposed to just run around like this?
      • Shit, shoulda gone for the limo.
      • Okay, I know for sure that the game ain't supposed hang up like that.
    • Pudding n Pie

• Damn, he sure bleeding out.
      • Listened, peeked, then entered. Grabbed him, why are you protecting him, why did you do it, let them talk, stop whining, she's involves in this, those were your ribbons, we'll find another way, i said im not doing it, Jesus, Don't worry about him, that's not who I am, did nothing, I won't be a killer,
      • Wow, he's actually being nice to someone. And clean language'd. He really must be at the end of his rope then.
      • Wait, he really did do it?! Huh. I am legit surprised.
      • Wuh--and he did the ribbons too?! WHAT kinda HOOdoo SHIT does this guy HAVE?!
      • Okay stop talking bow. You're making me want to punch you.
      • Wait, what...? Holy shit, Vivian,what the hell.. ?
      • Who's Gwen?
      • Jeez--FUCK! This is NOT how this was supposed to go! :cry:
    • Sheppard Metal Works.

• Still warm?
      • Dammit, that light must be motion activated. They'll know I'm here.
      • I ain't in the mood for you, woman!
      • Oh, we've got a fan.
      • Da fuck? Why is there a casket with chains in here?
      • Oh shoot, they have been watchingpp us. Who is that in the middle?
      • The fuck... a literal painwheel?
    • Final Boss

• What the hell? Ow!
      • What the--? She doesn't need a mirror?!
      • Oh, she's some type of shadow creature?
      • WHAT the HELL?! What did she do to herself?
      • I cant tell if this is creepy, unsettling, or silly.
      • Oh shot, she IS a ninja, apparently!
      • I'm talking to you, crawled to highest point, .
      • Ope, was too slow! Fuck! Oh come on, I thought I was ready! Dammit! Get OFF of me,you stupid...OW!
      • Oh fuck, not in the ribs again!
      • Dammit snap a neck already!
      • Owhoho! OW,hoho! Oh SHIT!
      • Oh shit, when I got up this morning, I really didn't expect to end up being pinned to the floor with my shirt off by a bunch of stripping chicks--wait.
      • Okay, this officially just got silly.
      • And i love how while the one in the front just smiles at this, the two behind her are just backin away.
      • Yep, I cant take seriously anymore.
      • Fo-ock-k!
      • Okay,that was a little dumb of me.
      • Okay, for second there, I thought they were haulin ass.
      • Okay, what the hell?!
      • THATS right, youBETTER be runnin!
      • Did she seriously think that was gonna work?
      • What just happened in the last five minutes?
      • How convenient and/or nice of her.
      • ..."Encore?"
    • Boilery Office

• "This job has 0 days...."
      • Tried to rush him, that's the plan, why would you want that, I believe Georgie, I want justice, let's go, took the gun, hit him.
      • "This is just a precaution."
      • Fair enough.
      • "I'm not saying a single word until I'm brought before the community."
        • Keeps talkin *
      • The fuck is up with his...shoes...? Is he a vampire or a mummy. * Gasp, * Irwin?!
      • "Again?!"
      • Brought him in.
      • Oh yes, don't mind if I do.
    • Witching Well Chamber--Early Morning

• He didn't make it easy, you gave the order, couldn't answer, let her finish, and kidnapping Crane, let him speak, you covered it up, i wouldn't call that help, you better have a point, we didn't abandon anybody, Snow isn't to blame, let Snow have her sun, want about your history, where are you going with this, Snow wasn't involved, that's not true, she has something to say, he might as well have, we know what happened, what did you expect, let them deliberate, got jumpscared, just let him fall,
      • Okay, everybody shut up. Especially you Beauty.
      • Oh, so she know Georgie too? The company you keep.
      • And suddenly Greenleaf.
      • Wow, that's a long list.
      • Wait, so you kill people before they go into the Witching Well? Huh. Not what I imagined.
      • Wait, why uncuff him?
      • Oh, bullshit. Even if he was.
      • Okay, not gonna lie, this guy is pissin me off more and more
      • Government? What government, now?
      • I like how he cant remember what he did for her. Hmph, must've been Thursday.
      • Aaaaand just like that, what started as an unconventional heartwarming moment turns a rare sentence. A really bizarre, yet mundane one at that. :lol:
      • And Snow bounces back quite humbly and quick to.
      • Holy crap, Beast is the first to vouch! And Greenleaf is the last.
      • Nerissa!
      • "And now I can finally say... You're an asshole!"
      • Woah, what the-?! That scared me!
      • I probably should just finish him now....
    • The Woodland Luxury Apartments--One day later

• Flycatcher
      • Aye, THIS is him, huh? Goofy looking. Works at the Woodlands.
      • Clever Hans. And the cop's daughter. Jack, Tim, Butcher. And the book ending Gren. Quite the bookend this is.
      • Everything okay?
      • Dangit, Colin. :smirk:
    • Outside

• Toad and TJ? Guess we know why he's called Flycatcher then. But why?
      • Sorry about all this, what is it, she'll love it, you'll be safer there, kept quiet, I understand, what did you do, you we're trying to protect them, gave her a cigarette, what's done is done, that piece of fabric, I'm sorry you had to do that, I don't know where we stand, I hope I've done some good, let her go
      • Nerissa! In regular clothes this time--any clothes.
      • Say what? Dammit. That did sound like Faith.
      • Dangit, I was wondering about that. I mainly assumed it was Mary, though.
      • Dramatically speaking,it makes more sense to let her go after...whatever that was about.
      • That's not gonna stay lit in the rain.
    • Results

• The minority left Georgie, most gave Crooked Man a trial, the whopping majority accepted TJs gift, and very few said they hope they've done some good.
    • Special Stats

• Lied to Beast.
      • Offered Butcher Protection.
      • Gave Colin a drink and helped him avoid the farm.
      • Took back The Crooked Man(Deceased?).
      • Gave Faith(Deceased) money.
      • Smashed Georgie's(Deceased) place and left him.
      • Offered Greenleaf a job.
      • Pretended to be Woody while Holly was passed out. (ew)
      • Made a deal with Jack.
      • Gave Nerissa a cigarette.
      • Brought Snow along, showed her Cranes photograph, and promised to bring Crooked Man back alive.
      • Chose to wait for Tiny Tim.
      • Slapped Toad, stood up for him, and gave him money.
    • Credits

• Aw, kinda expected a song. Ah well, twas strong enough that it can stand to go without one.
      • Lawrence was in this one too? Shit.
      • Pretty sure "Rachel" technically wasn't in this.
      • Did Jack even have a line?
      • Faith?
      • Is that what Colin looks like when glamoured? And he's wanted for theft?!
      • And you. :blush:

And they lived Happily Ever After(in shitty parts of New York)! I feel like the episode was better than the previous one and in itself gave at least 70% at all times. It flowed well, brought a number of elements to fruition, and was generally effective when it came to plot structure and encompassing. In terms of the actual presentation and execution of some things, however...it's a tad mixie. Like, the scenes themselves were giving their all, with the gameplay coming in to keep things engaging after and up to a point, but I couldn't help but sorta think a few particular occurence and revelations were kinda questionable.
    This ranged from a brief eyebrow raise to a mild spurt of disbelief to bordering outright narm, leading to some bits of mood whiplash at about three points(one of which was intentionally left out of the PnP recap since it was both minor and didn't really take me out of it though I noticed it). I should also say that I went into episode having heard murmurs of a couple of things, one of which I obfuscating not knowing about at the end. I can go a little more into the more important those later, as they aren't really important right now. Though I will say that they didn't really detract much at all and in fact, given how the episode(s) played out(at least in this playthrough), I kinda think the vibe I had about the culprit(s)(which I may also comment on later).
    Back to talking about the episode itself here from a gameplay standpoint, while the most important stuff was great, the rest of it was a little awkward. The hubs were relatively so-so in what minimum they had, but they were at least placed appropriately to catch your breath for a second. As I voice near the end of the second for [natural] dramatic effect, I kinda think that the wrap-ups of the encounters in the Lair, the Puddit n Pie, and the Witching Well were kinda not on my game plan nor too intuitive, though the final one gets credit for being effective in context. The Final Boss and the shimmying lead-in was also kinda bullshit, as there were times where I swear I did hit the prompts in time, but seemingly got hit anyway--not that it mattered that much, as I don't remember ever got a gameover in the whole game. And The Hearing seemed like it probably went on for a while, it was more than earned at that point.
    Despite how long and numerous these quibbles might be, the episode itself was still satisfying for the most part. Again with the gameplay, I could tell that the characters and the choices made towards them were maintained pretty well. And in terms of the story, most of the major points were given conclusions that were satisfying(sortof) and the final choice(?) felt like a good place to end noir-wise. And bringing this book to a close, this was a good end to a great game!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.