Just finished Fullmetal Alchemist and want to talk about it!

edited March 2018 in General Chat

SPOILERS FOR FMA AND THE CONQUER OF SHAMBALA MOVIE!
To clarify I watched the original anime, NOT BROTHERHOOD. So let's avoid any spoilers from that.

I loved FMA so much that I'm actually annoyed everyone says to just skip it and watch Brotherhood. From what I understand people say it's bad because it deviates from the Manga, whereas Brotherhood follows the Manga to the letter. Seems petty to me but I know people are pretty protective of source material and get annoyed at even the slightest changes. Just look at fans for shows like Game of Thrones or the Walking Dead.

Wrath was actually my favorite character believe it or not (not to be confused with King Bradley) I don't know if that's surprising, I'm not sure how popular he is. I just really loved his origin and character, so you can probably guess that the Conquer of Shambala wasn't a great time for me. Sometimes his plot frustrated me as Ed and Al tended to act as if it was a completely black and white situation and that he was pure evil. And I'm not pleased with how his story ended, but still I loved the character. I'm actually not that excited to watch Brotherhood because I know he's not in it. :(

Anyway I was wondering if there'd be any fans of the anime here who'd like to discuss it. Who are your favorite characters? What are some of your favorite moments? :)
Oh but please no debates over whether or not Brotherhood is better.

Tagged:

Comments

• In OG FMA my favorite character was Scar. He always seemed to demand such a presense. He was an anti-hero that didn't linger more of the side of "good," and that interested me. My favorite moments of the show include a lot of the more mature themes the show produved. Brotherhood gets dark at times, but I think the 2003 was more dark. Ed fighting with Berry in the back of the meat-truck was intense as Hell, and I loved the scenes that essentially forced Ed to "grow up" such as killing Greed and Sloth.

• I was beginning to think no one would comment XD

Scar was an Interesting character to me as much as he frustrated the hell out of me. How he felt that because of what happened to his people that it was right to murder anyone with the title of 'State Alchemist' however he is a great character. Out of curiosity I was wondering if you could say without spoiling anything if you didn't like Scar in brotherhood?

I'm assuming Berry was the serial killer? Sorry I don't remember his name. I really loved that moment. The scenes where Ed breaks down or is very emotionally scarred are so good. I expected him once he broke free of his chair to be a badass and kick his ass, but instead he was terrified and fighting desperately to stay alive, while crying in distress. It felt so real and human.

I have heard that Brotherhood isn't as dark as the original, which is a bit disheartening as FMA's dark moments always caught me off guard in the best way. I've also heard the Himonculi are quite different as well. I'm still eventually going to watch it but I'm honestly expecting to be disappointed.

In OG FMA my favorite character was Scar. He always seemed to demand such a presense. He was an anti-hero that didn't linger more of the sid

• "Out of curiosity I was wondering if you could say without spoiling anything if you didn't like Scar in brotherhood?"
    I prefer Brotherhood Scar, but one thing about him that somewhat irks me is how easily swayed he is. Well, maybe swayed isn't the right word, but I don't realy know how to describe it without giving spoilers.

"I'm assuming Berry was the serial killer?"
    Yeah, the dude in the meat truck.

The homunculi are indeed much different, and like I said, the show is more lighthearted, but it still has it's dark moments. Two things you can look forward to though is Major Armstrong and Fuhrer King Bradley. Almost anytime Armstrong is on screen he steals the show, and Bradley commands such a presense he manages to come off as both goofy and intimidating.

AgentZ46 posted: »

I was beginning to think no one would comment XD Scar was an Interesting character to me as much as he frustrated the hell out of me. How

• Oh yeah, I kinda grew up with the original anime myself.

Also, my favorite character was Gluttony. Though Envy was also pretty cool.

• FMA will never be as good as AOT, TG, or DBS

• edited October 2018

I mean, I guess if you're looking for strictly action.

I'm still haven't gone back to the first one, but what is the second one?

Dex-Starr posted: »

FMA will never be as good as AOT, TG, or DBS

• Tokyo Ghoul

DabigRG posted: »

I mean, I guess if you're looking for strictly action. I'm still haven't gone back to the first one, but what is the second one?

• Tokyo Ghoul

• Oh.
    Never given that any mind.

Dex-Starr posted: »

Tokyo Ghoul

Sign in to comment in this discussion.