The Wolf Among Us 2 had a "shoestring" budget and was supposed to have 3 episodes

edited December 2018 in The Wolf Among Us

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/12/21/former-telltale-employee-the-wolf-among-us-sequel-wouldve-never-released/

"A former staff member of the company recently spoke with Eurogamer under anonymity, explaining how the fan-requested sequel to The Wolf Among Us probably would’ve never made its way to release, mainly due to budgeting issues.

The employee noted that the game had a “shoestring” budget at best, with the company reportedly cutting corners left and right during its development. This was bad “even by Telltale standards,” to the point that the company turned it into a three-episode series, instead of the usual five-episode season layout it’s given to other releases like Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy and the Batman games."

Well i'm glad to know my theory was right and the game was going to be shit,i can die in peace now.

Comments

• edited December 2018

I guess its better in the end Wolf S2 never released, even if it wasnt bad, I still feel it couldnt live up to the hype, still a bummer.

But lets be real, we all know that Biggo the Wolf leak image was real. Kinda wish they asked him that, would be nice that now that it doesnt matter a former Telltale staff could just go "yeah shits real"

On a more serious note, I wish one of the former devs would give out details. Im still really curious what the direction would be and would still love to see concept art and even just a brief summary of what the plot was going to be. The article does confirm it would be a "sequel" atleast, would be stand alone, but atleast the story went forward.

• Damn. What the fuck, Telltale?

@Poogers555 But lets be real, we all know that Biggo the Wolf leak image was real.

Oh what, the one that looked like Larry?

• I'm assuming they can't talk about it for nondisclosure reasons. Vertigo/DC owns the IP who in turn is owned by WB. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd be petty enough to sue an ex-employee for something this inconsequential, even if they have no desire to use the ideas they're hoarding for any future product.

Poogers555 posted: »

I guess its better in the end Wolf S2 never released, even if it wasnt bad, I still feel it couldnt live up to the hype, still a bummer.

• Which is why whoever would leak it would say is anonymously like almost everyone in this interview.

booper posted: »

I'm assuming they can't talk about it for nondisclosure reasons. Vertigo/DC owns the IP who in turn is owned by WB. I wouldn't be surprised

• While it’s disheartening to hear, I’m not all that surprised. We’ve all known about the financial troubles Telltale was in before the layoffs thanks to Bruner’s lawsuit, and thanks to the shutdown, we learned even more (the only games that made a profit were S1 of TWD and Minecraft). With investors dropping out, games not making money, and still high expenses, this doesn’t come as a shock. It’s probably also why The Final Season is only 4 episodes. Yeah the episodes are over 2 hours long, but to only have 4 episodes as the concluding season for your most famous character and series, you don’t do it unless you are having money problems. Makes me wonder what they could have done had they gone ahead and planned a 5th episode for it.

• So, how many came here because of my meme?

• Here's the original Eurogamer article, it's much better than that awful site comicbook.com
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-12-19-the-last-year-at-telltale-a-story-cut-short

• Well shit....both ways it looked bad...this game deserved better man :-/

• Damn straight

Well shit....both ways it looked bad...this game deserved better man :-/

• Knowing that the game was apparently doomed to failure (even though the team behind it surely did their best) is sad. I'd love to know some details about the planned plot, though.

• Why did they even bother then if development kept taking cuts. It makes me annoyed, because those devs could've transferred over to TFS and finished it before closing down completely. Guess they really were counting on TFS for money. Oh well.

• Seems like they were relying on the TWDG in general for money the whole time. Which unfortunately makes their decision to finally do TWAU Season 2 of questionable drive.

Ghetsis posted: »

Why did they even bother then if development kept taking cuts. It makes me annoyed, because those devs could've transferred over to TFS and finished it before closing down completely. Guess they really were counting on TFS for money. Oh well.

• The thing is, she got things wrong in projects she wasn't part of. She was part of the Wolf 2 team, though, and Stephen McManus confirmed, that those news aren't accurate.

rip bois

• Shes made claims such as higher ups forced employees for all games to never show female feet when walking, claiming all females were rigged as if they were wearing heels and Telltale wanted to hide it, later debunked. She also kept giving mis-information about what was going to happen to The Final Season after Telltale closed. Even games shes worked on she has still given incorrect info.

Also considering she did low key confirm it was going to be 3 eps kinda just shows how who they were talking to about Wolf knew what they were saying. Its more likely they want to try saying it isnt true due to it looks bad for former Telltale staff who worked on the game looking for new jobs if some of the only criteria they have is "failed game that would have failed even if the studio didnt fail."

GSSalvador posted: »

The thing is, she got things wrong in projects she wasn't part of. She was part of the Wolf 2 team, though, and Stephen McManus confirmed, that those news aren't accurate.

• She also kept giving mis-information about what was going to happen to The Final Season after Telltale closed. Even games shes worked on she has still given incorrect info.

What did she say? That the game won't be finished, because telltale fired the team responsible for it? Well, how could she have known that Skybound would step up and safe the project? It took the upper management and Skybound weeks to work out the contracts and it could've been easy for them to just drop it all.

I get that she'd been a not so optimal source for accurate information regarding Telltale, but she still lost her job at that time and got these information from other devs who lost their jobs aswell. I get the frustrations, but dragging her through the mud for that is a very shitty thing to do.

Shes made claims such as higher ups forced employees for all games to never show female feet when walking, claiming all females were rigged

• She was saying things like Skybound wasnt actually hiring back former devs when they actually were.

I mean the article talks about how Telltale had a focus of "friend groups" who all kinda isolated from each other, and you can already tell this if you follow some staff on twitter, so its a bit obvious that the other 2 who spoke out are just in the same "group." I mean kinda funny how all 3 of them go "its not accurate" say they dont have time to say what is not accurate, but will keep talking about how inaccurate it is. Its more likely it is accurate and they just dont want people thinking its real due to it sounding really shitty.

GSSalvador posted: »

She also kept giving mis-information about what was going to happen to The Final Season after Telltale closed. Even games shes worked on she

• Not to entertain the "Ms. Buckshot is naturally full of shit" mindset, but why would she do that?

She was saying things like Skybound wasnt actually hiring back former devs when they actually were. I mean the article talks about how Te

• Not sure why exactly she would say anything about Skybound not hiring people, but probably because it gives her a lot of attention on twitter. As for saying the Wolf article isnt correct, like I said above, its more likely they want to act like that info isnt accurate because it hurts people who would have that in their portfolio, especially those who would only have that in their portfolio due to it being the first game they ever worked on.

DabigRG posted: »

Not to entertain the "Ms. Buckshot is naturally full of shit" mindset, but why would she do that?

• As for saying the Wolf article isnt correct, like I said above, its more likely they want to act like that info isnt accurate because it hurts people who would have that in their portfolio, especially those who would only have that in their portfolio due to it being the first game they ever worked on.

Oh, okay. Understandable.

Not sure why exactly she would say anything about Skybound not hiring people, but probably because it gives her a lot of attention on twitte

Sign in to comment in this discussion.