Does anyone like Catwoman?

2»

Comments

• edited November 2019

It's rated M = mature content. Mature content does not mean it refers to sex or violence. It means it has complicated themes in the story and characters that kids may not understand.

Playing Bruce can make me feel lousy because I am using, lying to and betraying John all the time. It's not something kids can get because their world is still very black and white.

Selina is a world-class cat-burglar and escape artist with the skills to get out of dangerous situations by herself. Batman needs this kind of partner as he can't be distracted by the need to rescue her.

Pinkyswear posted: »

To me, looks is not everything. She's lasted 70 years in the comics because her redemption arc is so interesting to explore. She has a compl

• In that case I agree with you, but these relationships are implied in such games and we see it in walking dead and wolf among us too, this makes player satisfied and keeps him follow the story, I don't think children would be able to play this game because things get much complicated during the game and also contains violence. And batman or Bruce always tries to change Selina to be a good person, you can see that in comics,too.

Pinkyswear posted: »

To me, looks is not everything. She's lasted 70 years in the comics because her redemption arc is so interesting to explore. She has a compl

• edited November 2019

The choices to ill-treat her and betray her makes her character even better and shows off her first-class escape skills. In S1, I chose to save Harvey over her as I could see she can escape, but she still saves my life from Lady Arkham. That's good of her as she doesn't owe me a thing and leaving me dead would have made stealing whatever much easier. After her trash talk about using Harvey & I, I trip her up by asking, then why save my life?

In S2, I warned her about the GCPD because I do not tolerate childish behavior from a 50-year-old man neither do I participate in childish competition over a laptop. No, I didn't see stealing the stupid decryptor as a betrayal. If I can trust her with my identity, I see a stupid decryptor game as annoying, but nothing to sweat over. True enough, I had no problems getting it back after telling her off.

At the end of Ep 3, it was tough, but felt it made more sense to leave her in Riddler's cage and follow the Pact to stop the bloodbath at Sanctus. She's a top-notch escape artist whereas Bruce is a better combat fighter. It's a situation that makes the best of both of their skills. You can see that Bruce has absolutely no doubt that she can escape, but just feels bad and hopes to explain it to her one day. True enough, I apologised in the Funhouse, she forgives me and does the right thing. In the Vigilante path, sure she's pissy, but she still retains the moral code not to betray my identity as revenge. A little sparring is no sweat. I will apologise in future.

Regarding Harvey in S1, I did my best to be his good friend. I funded his campaign even when he distanced himself from me. I stayed friends with Selina. But Harvey let me down so much, not trusting my word that Selina & I are friends, throws me into Arkham, tries to harm my family (Alfred), burns my house down and is still not sorry in S2!! This kind of 'friend' is not worth it. To hell with the Bro code!

...literally me during that scene. I WAS SUCH A BAD FRIEND. HARVEY, FORGIVE ME.

• Yes I love these redemption stories, because they are real, heartwarming and wonderful. Forgiveness is a noble trait and it takes a big-hearted person to forgive. Because with forgiveness, there will be peace and criminals will become Batman's allies. I would love to see a redeemed Harley Quinn. I could see Bruce felt sorry for her and he will want to redeem her one day.

In that case I agree with you, but these relationships are implied in such games and we see it in walking dead and wolf among us too, this m

• Exactly!! Just following the main action story can be boring but adding these heartwarming romances makes you follow the story. I think Bruce could help Harley with her problems around her dad, but chances for her to become reliable person are much less than Selina. You like Harley more, don't you? :)

Yes I love these redemption stories, because they are real, heartwarming and wonderful. Forgiveness is a noble trait and it takes a big-hear

• edited November 2019

I like Selina too and love the stories in the comics where Selina and Harley are friends, like Gotham City Sirens.

In this game, there's indication that Selina and Harley were already friends before Bruce came into the Pact. In my head-canon, I can see Selina breaking out of the collar in no time. She's proven time and again, not just in this game but in countless comics, that she's well capable of escaping any dangerous situation without Bruce's help. IMO, he'd be lucky that to have a chance to free her before she frees herself, haha! I remember reading at least 4 comics where he goes looking to rescue her, then sees that she had already escape.

That's why Alfred says that "Miss Kyle will run. It's in her nature." It means both Bruce and Alfred have full confidence she can escape danger every time. I admire that.

My hope is that Selina will help to break out Harley too, then form an alliance with her. And team up with Poison Ivy. We should have more female characters like these.

Exactly!! Just following the main action story can be boring but adding these heartwarming romances makes you follow the story. I think Bruc

• I think you're right, but in these stories of telltale games Selina seems to be changing her personality she had in her past, looking forward to help Bruce dealing with criminals and even marring him!! I don't know if you read Tom Kings batman 2016. In these series, catwoman is completely different from the one you know, she has come back to Bruce when he was beaten by Bane. By the way, have you trusted Selina in last episode and gave her keys?

I like Selina too and love the stories in the comics where Selina and Harley are friends, like Gotham City Sirens. In this game, there's

• edited November 2019

Yes, I downloaded some issues into my iPad, but I haven't had time to read everything as I'm now working. I was following Gotham City Sirens when I was in school. I read the more recent issues on City of Bane and where she rescued Bruce and helped him recover in France, and he's sporting that Hot Daddy/Matches Malone look, haha! But I haven't read the full arc. Maybe will do so during the Christmas holidays.

For the TEW Telltale Game, I first played it when it came out and went on the Vigilante path. But kept having Game Over in Ace Chemicals because on the iPad version, the QTE buttons just can't work when the big tattooed guy shoots at Batman. I had to retry 10 times before I got through it. And I had no idea how to free Catwoman. I mean I asked for Catwoman's freedom from Waller on the rooftop, but she won't honor it even though I parted peacefully with her? Then when I came across a YouTube video and realise it depends on one very obscure dialogue option. But honestly, I have no time to go through several rounds of failed QTE buttons to replay it.

I played the Villain path much later when I read a review about it, and yes, I trusted her with the keys. I have no reason not to trust her, because, I mean she's been completely trustworthy with his biggest secret, which is his identity. I find all these arguments about whether to trust her in this Forum very stupid, because people seemed to completely forget that the inherent Bruce character has been fully trusting her with his identity from start to finish! Anyway, I'm glad I could clear her record in the Villain path.

TBH, I don't think Telltale had made full use of the skills she's most well known for. She's not actually the best combat fighter. Her best skills are "Escape and Evasion" which in battle, can be even more important than fighting. A love interest will always be targeted for kidnapping by super-villains to be used as bait, so "Escape and Evasion" are really what will help Batman the most, more so than fighting or investigating. In the City of Bane comics, these skills of hers came in the most useful for Bruce when they went into hiding and she had to source for medical treatment on the quiet.

And of course, there is no lock in the world that she cannot unpick, so I'm fully confident she can break out of the collar even though I couldn't free her on Vigilante path.

I think you're right, but in these stories of telltale games Selina seems to be changing her personality she had in her past, looking forwar

• If i remember correctly, you should choose the option (handling it myself) when Waller asks about Catwoman, then she will automatically be rescued and then appears further. You should've tried the PC version for better experience. I had your problems on android version too.
    About fighting skills, it's obvious that today's stories about Catwoman are completely different from in the past, she and Bruce as you can see always fight rather than escaping. There's actually no way to escape. Eventually bat should face enemies and bring them down.
    When was the Sirens series published?

Yes, I downloaded some issues into my iPad, but I haven't had time to read everything as I'm now working. I was following Gotham City Sirens

• edited December 2019

Yes, I think the Rebirth comics now rightfully restores Catwoman's fighting prowess. Though I still find it quite hard to believe that she could defeat Talia Al Ghul. And I actually like Talia much better in Rebirth. She's now the cool ex, not the crazy jealous ex.

Gotham City Sirens was published in 2009, after the events of Hush and Heart of Hush. After Heart of Hush, where Selina's heart was cut out by Hush to traumatise Batman, she teams up with Harley and Poison Ivy to form Gotham City Sirens where they can look out for each other. Catwoman was recuperating from the heart surgery; Harley was recuperating from her break-up with Joker. I forgot what Poison's story was, but she was also trying to be a better person. Batman was fully supportive of the alliance, coming in to help her sometimes.

Actually during the Hush comics era, I felt that DC damseled Selina too much. The Batcat relationship was bittersweet because, though they loved each other, Bruce felt he could not be with Selina as she was constantly being targeted by his super-enemies. Her heart getting cut out by Hush pushed him over the edge. DC kept using this as a reason to keep them apart because having them together will end their stories. Same with the Arkham Games.

That's why I like it that Rebirth has returned Selina to her roots as an elite fighter who is able to stave off super-villains. She should never be damseled.

For Telltale's version, I felt that Selina character arc has not reached full circle. If you go with the comics canon, she's 8 years younger than Bruce, which makes her just 22/23 (since Bruce is 30 in Telltale). She's still early in her Catwoman career and has a lot of growing up to do before she is finally ready to be with Bruce. In fact, Bruce should first have his relationship with Talia Al Ghul, then with civilian love interests (e.g. Silver St Cloud, Julia Madison), before finding the perfect balance with a fully redeemed Selina when they are both at the right age to be together. Like in Rebirth where he's in his 40s and she's in her 30s.

But I got the feeling that the Telltale writers rushed through Catwoman's arc as they know they won't have a third season and decided to leave the stories open-ended. You do need knowledge of Catwoman stories in the comics to fully understand her in Telltale.

If i remember correctly, you should choose the option (handling it myself) when Waller asks about Catwoman, then she will automatically be

• edited November 2019

Interesting stories and ideas!! I'm about to think i don't know anything about catwoman!! But you're right, in rebirth version, their wedding broke up and cat dissappeared with no reason, but some says that batman can't be a happy man and live in peace with selina. Not because he doesn't love her, but because it's in his fate to be sad.
    But i think they'll make the third season as telltale was revived and i hope we see more of these relationships not only in Batman series, but also in Wolf among us and others.

Yes, I think the Rebirth comics now rightfully restores Catwoman's fighting prowess. Though I still find it quite hard to believe that she c

• edited December 2019

I know right? DC just keeps having to come up with BS excuses because they keep thinking a happy Batman cannot exist. Same with the Gotham City Sirens era. It's like the excuse in Spiderman (the original Sam Raimi movie), where the hero had to painfully give up being with the woman he loves to keep her safe. C'mon, this is Catwoman! Not Mary-Jane Watson.

DC also once introduced Batman and Catwoman's daughter, Helena, in a rather awkward way. Just before getting attacked by Hush, Selina became pregnant and had a daughter, Helena. She claimed that the father was her mentor's (Slam Bradley) dead son, but the comics strongly hinted that Batman was the real father of Helena. After giving birth in secret, Selina took on a new identity, Irena Dubrovna, and passed on the mantle of Catwoman to Holly Robinson. Unfortunately, her enemies still kept looking for her and endangering her infant daughter. As a result, she and Bruce opted to give up Helena for adoption to keep the child safe. Again, another BS awkward excuse to keep Bruce and Selina from being happy.

Anyway, this story arc was retconned with the New-52 reboot which had Catwoman aged 23 again, acting like an asshole, having non-committal trysts with Batman, like in Telltale Season 1. I didn't like New-52 Catwoman, especially what she was in the beginning. So I know why people can be put off by Telltale Season 1 Selina because she was like the early New-52 Catwoman.

But I'm now a huge fan of Rebirth comics. In Telltale Season 2, they positioned Catwoman on a redemption arc to become her Rebirth heroic version, but the time and character development might be too short to be convincing for players who don't have knowledge of the comics.

Regarding the Evasion & Escape skills, I think those skills proved extremely important in the City of Bane story. Only Catwoman is capable of evading Bane when rescuing Batman and stealing top-grade medicine to help him recover. Also as a love interest, these Evasion & Escape skills are very crucial, because if not, she could be captured and used as bait to trap Batman.

Interesting stories and ideas!! I'm about to think i don't know anything about catwoman!! But you're right, in rebirth version, their weddin

• edited December 2019

Gotham City Sirens was from the Infinite Crisis comics series. After being attacked by Hush, Selina felt vulnerable as her physical abilities were severely impaired. She formed an alliance with Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy for better protection.

Though Gotham City Sirens have been retconned out in DC continuity, the three girls - Catwoman, Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy - live on in numerous cosplays all over the world.
    https://screenrant.com/stunning-gotham-city-sirens-cosplays/

If i remember correctly, you should choose the option (handling it myself) when Waller asks about Catwoman, then she will automatically be

• I'm here to read more because Catwoman is super awesome in City of Bane Rebirth comics.

• Had a lot of difficulty with the Vigilante episode on Android. Very frustrating. No idea how to free Catwoman, but I'm confident she will break the collar. That's her forte after all.

• Yeah i never thought that way, interesting!! Especially bat and cat's daughter. Which comic exactly contains this story? Is that Sirens?

I know right? DC just keeps having to come up with BS excuses because they keep thinking a happy Batman cannot exist. Same with the Gotham C

• Is that the part which you have to choose whether tell harley the truth about laptop or lie about it and make bruce responsible for stealing the laptop?

Had a lot of difficulty with the Vigilante episode on Android. Very frustrating. No idea how to free Catwoman, but I'm confident she will break the collar. That's her forte after all.

• edited December 2019

Me and 82.6% of players took the fall for the laptop in Ep3. I was wondering about Ep5 Vigilante Joker, where I asked for Catwoman's freedom on the rooftop, but the ending outcome says me and 52% of players said I loved her but didn't secure her release.

Is that the part which you have to choose whether tell harley the truth about laptop or lie about it and make bruce responsible for stealing the laptop?

• I instead asked Waller to erase all catwomans record and dealt with typhanie alone. Damn man im thinking about playing it again with different choices!!

Me and 82.6% of players took the fall for the laptop in Ep3. I was wondering about Ep5 Vigilante Joker, where I asked for Catwoman's freedom

• edited December 2019

This happened in the Catwoman comics in 2008, just before Gotham City Sirens, where DC kept damseling Selina, always drawing her being seriously injured and cradled by Batman. I didn't like it, as they made her the typical damsel-in-distress love interest, like Mary Jane Watson in the Spiderman movies.

https://imgur.com/EdtzkFF

https://imgur.com/m7AUIOd

That's why I prefer Rebirth where Catwoman is a much stronger fighter and is the one who rescues Batman from City of Bane.

In Telltale, if you notice, Catwoman is the ONLY female character where you always have the choice of not saving her. I see it as the writers' way of showing that she can consistently escape & evade dangerous situations. IMO players who choose these "bad choices" are actually acknowledging how strong and capable she is.

IMO think Telltale deliberately made it very difficult to free her on Vigilante path because they plan to have her to escape by herself. She definitely can! There are several times in the comics where Batman goes to rescue her, only to see that she has rescued herself already. I want to see that happen.

Yeah i never thought that way, interesting!! Especially bat and cat's daughter. Which comic exactly contains this story? Is that Sirens?

• Yeah i know what you mean, but each dramatic stories like the telltales needs one hero to rescue his love from bad guys. I don't wanna complain about talents of catwoman in escaping, but i think Selina should stay and fight along Bruce instead of running away. All we have to do is waiting for another story in 3rd season. Absolutely after Wolf among us season 2 :)

This happened in the Catwoman comics in 2008, just before Gotham City Sirens, where DC kept damseling Selina, always drawing her being serio

• edited December 2019

Because Telltale did not complete her character arc yet. In Season 1, Catwoman is early in her career, aged 23. She's not confident in her abilities, veers away from commitment and will naturally run. In Season 2, she is looking for redemption, but it is only a year later. She's just...24 or 25? She's still young and IMO her growth is not complete. The game actually left her ending rather open-ended, whether or not she stays or leaves.

If there is a Season 3, I am very sure she will be back and ready for war. If you see most Batman stories, the finale always involves an all-out militia war. I imagine they will do a City of Bane or No Man's Land kind of storyline where Batman will be defeated and in mortal danger.

In an occupied war zone, being able to Escape, Evade & Avoid Capture are far more valuable military tactics than all-out fighting if you are on the defeated side. Catwoman's known to be the master of these skills in the Batman world. If you read Rebirth City of Bane, these skills were critical in smuggling a severely injured Batman out of Gotham to France to recuperate.

Yeah i know what you mean, but each dramatic stories like the telltales needs one hero to rescue his love from bad guys. I don't wanna compl

• edited December 2019

I'm a huge fan of Catwoman after reading the Rebirth comics. Understand her much better now. TBH, Telltale didn't do that good a job with her character growth. There's a lot of missing parts. Rebirth comics Catwoman is amazing.

• edited December 2019

Yeah yeah you're right!! I never had such penetration in these game!! I think in these stories like batman or other DC legends age isn't actually important. We have this issue in wolf among us too. I don't know if you read Fables comics. The time of wolf among us story is completely different from Fables and also characters are different except main characters

Because Telltale did not complete her character arc yet. In Season 1, Catwoman is early in her career, aged 23. She's not confident in her a

• I'm working now, so I haven't had time to play video games. I just got reminded of Batman Telltale games when I watched the Batman Hush movie.

Speaking of Gotham City Sirens, here's my favorite clip of Harley Quinn & Poison Ivy:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EXoRCafMVzg

Yeah yeah you're right!! I never had such penetration in these game!! I think in these stories like batman or other DC legends age isn't act

• edited December 2019

Thanks I'll watch it whenever I'm free.
    Have you watched dark knight rises btw?

I'm working now, so I haven't had time to play video games. I just got reminded of Batman Telltale games when I watched the Batman Hush movi

• edited December 2019

Of course. I grew up with Chris Nolan's Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises. But Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises was very under-developed and without comics knowledge, you won't understand why Batman chooses to keep trusting her.

Already in Telltale, I felt that Catwoman was inadequately developed. Her story is just halfway done and she has not reached her full potential like in the Rebirth comics. You still need to know the comics to understand her properly.

Notice that Telltale's other love interests follow the same pattern as the movies

• Vicki Vale in Season 1 = the Irredeemable Villainous Love Interest = Miranda Tate/Talia Al Ghul in Dark Knight Rises, Andrea Beaumont in Mask of the Phantasm
    • Iman Avesta in Season 2 = the Civilian Love Interest = Rachel Dawes in Batman Begins, Chase Meridian in Batman Forever

What's interesting about the Civilian Love Interest is that she's usually an original character and a combination of Silver St Cloud, Sasha Bordeaux, Vesper Fairchild, Linda Page, Julie Madison etc in the comics. The writers will just change her profession according to what fits the story. In Telltale, IMO Iman Avesta is a carbon copy of Rachel Dawes - they made her an agent because the story is about the Agency. Rachel Dawes is a lawyer because the story is about the Judicial System. Similarly, Chase Meridian in Batman Forever is another prototype of Avesta/Rachel, but made a psychologist because the story is about psychology.

But Catwoman is always Catwoman! ;)

Thanks I'll watch it whenever I'm free. Have you watched dark knight rises btw?

• edited December 2019

I think the best moments of bat and cat is in batman returns 1992. In this movie all characteristics you've said about catwoman is perfectly pictured and in the end cat refused to move in and live with bruce. I weren't excited much when i saw bruce and rachel romance. It wasn't what i expected to be. I think we'll have another batman movie in 2021, but i don't think catwoman is in plot.
    BTW, i watched the video. It was hilarious, although I'm not interested in these woman character things!! ;)

Of course. I grew up with Chris Nolan's Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises. But Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises was

• edited December 2019

Hmm...I love Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman, but depicting Catwoman as mentally unhinged is not appealing to me. In the comics, Selina had a tough life from an abusive childhood, but what's admirable is her ability to overcome poverty, abuse and suffering to rise to become the world's top cat-burglar. Such an achievement requires super mental strength, discipline and intelligence.

But that said, agree Michelle Pfeiffer was the most beautiful Catwoman in the movies and the ending was so sad. She and Michael Keaton had the best onscreen chemistry, so you can feel the sadness when she opts not to be with him.

Catwoman is definitely in the 2021 Batman movie. Zoe Kravitz has been cast:
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/the-batman-zoe-kravitz-catwoman-1203302757/

Rachel Dawes is like Iman Avesta in Telltale, offering an anchor to sanity and prospect of a stable relationship. They are Mary Sue characters, just like the Disney princesses - all good, no flaws, marriageable and stable. But in Batman's world, they tend to get targeted by the super-villains and eventually get killed to make Batman sadder.

IMO, due to the commercial success of Batman Rebirth comics which focuses on BatCat, the movies and games have been introducing their relationship far too early in Batman's career. I know Telltale Season 2 offered the prospect of a serious BatCat relationship, but I think both need to have more adventures and date other people before realising they are made for each other, just like in the Rebirth comics. :smiley:

I think the best moments of bat and cat is in batman returns 1992. In this movie all characteristics you've said about catwoman is perfectly

• Honestly i don't think marriage of batman is a good idea because in one case the story will be finished completely and in another case authors like Tom Kings don't have the rights for changing the fate of characters. So i agree with this opinion that bat and cat should have more adventures and ups and downs in their relationship.
    I think Christian Bale is the screenwriter of batman 2021, and he said catwoman wouldn't be in plot according to new characters involved as you see the trailer.
    BTW, i love the scene in dark knight rises that in mask party Selina kisses Bruce and steal Lamborghini keys and escapes!!

Hmm...I love Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman, but depicting Catwoman as mentally unhinged is not appealing to me. In the comics, Selina had a

• edited December 2019

Catwoman will be in the Batman 2021 movie. Matt Reeves is the Director and Screenwriter of Batman 2021, not Christian Bale.

https://screenrant.com/dc-batman-filming-second-unit/

Robert Pattinson will star as Batman
    Confirmed villains: Riddler (Paul Dano), Penguin (Colin Farrell), Catwoman (Zoë Kravitz)

Honestly i don't think marriage of batman is a good idea because in one case the story will be finished completely and in another case autho

• She's alright, I guess.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.