The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• edited April 2020

Same here. The gameplay is soo overhyped. When I heard that this game was getting tons of praise, I was expecting a satisfying combat and travelling system but no one and I mean NO ONE ever told me how clunky it is or how long it took a player to get invested in the game. There is just too much content that I cannot get used to, the world is too big and the worst part are riding the fucking horses. I wanted to like this game because the story sounds interesting and I like some of the characters but with its poor gameplay mechanics, I just don't have the patience for it.

Got to say, I am really not digging The Witcher 3. Like I legitimately am not having a good time with it, and I’m trying to keep pushing thr

• I want a pretzel.

• Here you go

lupinb0y posted: »

I want a pretzel.

• Can I have that with ice cold lemonade please.

Here you go

• edited April 2020

I need some help with this.

Since things are really stressful where I work at Amazon, I'm trying to relieve a bit of that stress by getting some music going throughout my work area. And while I do love music and even had a radio show when I was in college where I had complete control over what I played, there is one glaring weakness that I have. For those of you that know me, it should be quite obvious, but for the less inclined...modern music makes me want to blow my brains out. I've always been more of a classic rock and heavy metal kind of guy, but I recognize that I can't very well make a playlist for over 100+ other people consisting exclusively of stuff like Metallica, Lamb of God, Slayer, and other metal acts (as much as I would love to, believe me). I've pretty much exhausted my vault of classic rock material, and now I'm trying to throw in some stuff that I know my associates would relate to a bit more. Trying to spruce it up with country, rap, and pop, but I have absolutely no knowledge of this, which is why I'm reaching out to you guys for help. I'll take any suggestions, it just needs to be PG with little to no cursing (and if it does have cursing, it needs to have a censored version easily findable on Spotify).

Also, while I'm at it, can someone explain to me what Billie Ellish is? Like, I've heard of her, but only recently, like she just came out of nowhere and now everyone loves her or something.

• I'm sorry, we're fresh out of lemons.

Can I have that with ice cold lemonade please.

• This guy will cheerfully serve you.

Can I have that with ice cold lemonade please.

• Also, while I'm at it, can someone explain to me what Billie Ellish is? Like, I've heard of her, but only recently, like she just came out of nowhere and now everyone loves her or something.

Billie Eilish is one of those artists you either love or hate. The ones who love her do because she sings a lot of songs with lyrics they can relate to. There are a few bands who cover her songs in their own style, which makes it leap genres. I've heard one sing a Billie Eilish song in opera metal.

There are lots of services that will mix modern music so you don't have to, but in a commercial setting, they'll want to be paid for it, and Amazon isn't known for wanting to spend extra money.

I need some help with this. Since things are really stressful where I work at Amazon, I'm trying to relieve a bit of that stress by getti

• Amazon isn't known for wanting to spend extra money.

No they are not. Frugality is one of our leadership principles after all.

WarpSpeed posted: »

Also, while I'm at it, can someone explain to me what Billie Ellish is? Like, I've heard of her, but only recently, like she just came out o

• Billie Eilish is this teen singer who "sings" with like whispers. She's a bit of a weirdo. Kind surprised you've only just heard of her, she's been a thing for like a year (?) now.

I recommend going into soft and yacht rock, which are some my favorite genres. Technically, they're classic rock, but they are very relaxing. It has some overlap with R&B, which I also enjoy. I also really enjoy 80s pop, and I think most people do. Lady Gaga and Madonna have some synergy.

I need some help with this. Since things are really stressful where I work at Amazon, I'm trying to relieve a bit of that stress by getti

• Kind surprised you've only just heard of her, she's been a thing for like a year (?) now.

Goes to show you how much I pay attention to modern music. It wasn't until a few months ago I started to hear about Post Malone, and even then it was only because he did a collaboration with Ozzy Osbourne (and yes, I included that song in the playlist). I tend to be slow with this type of stuff, I'm like that elderly grandpa who's trying to be "hip" when it comes to this right now.

I've already got some Lady Gaga in their (much to my chagrin), I can't even name a Madonna song, but I did try to listen to her music to see what I should include. Been trying to do soft rock stuff (Imagine Dragons, Coldplay, etc.) for the last hour or so. Currently at 559 songs, 41 hours and 9 minutes. Since Amazon shifts tend to run 10 or so hours, I'm looking to add some more to this list.

Billie Eilish is this teen singer who "sings" with like whispers. She's a bit of a weirdo. Kind surprised you've only just heard of her, she

• A world without lemonade would be like

I'm sorry, we're fresh out of lemons.

• hears Avatar: The Last Airbender is on Netflix

Me: Oh my God, finally!!! I can't wait to go back and rewatch one of the greatest shows of all time now that it's finally available...

sees it's M. Night Shyamalan's movie The Last Airbender

Me: Who's the fucking dumbass drinking all the cactus juice at Netflix that thought THIS was what we wanted?! NO ONE WANTS THAT ABOMINATION!

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

The TV show itself is on Canadian Netflix for me.

hears Avatar: The Last Airbender is on Netflix Me: Oh my God, finally!!! I can't wait to go back and rewatch one of the greatest shows of

• I am well aware thanks to @AChicken, which makes it even worse that America does not have it. That, coupled with the fact that Netflix is working on their own live action version with the show's original creators AND entered into a sort of partnership months back with Nickelodeon in regards to jointly producing shows and access to Nick's library, makes no sense to me.

dojo32161 posted: »

The TV show itself is on Canadian Netflix for me.

It's similar to how Netflix is going to be making a live action One Piece show in partership with another company but don't have the regular show itself... I'm so fucking scared of what live action One Piece will look like.

I am well aware thanks to @AChicken, which makes it even worse that America does not have it. That, coupled with the fact that Netflix is wo

• How do you think I feel in regards to the live action A:TLA remake? The one thing making me hopeful is that the original creators are directly overseeing it (while Shyamalan pretty much kicked them out of having any creative input for the movie) and from what I've heard, Netflix gives a lot of freedom to the creators to do what they want. So knowing they are the ones doing it makes me feel a bit better, but considering how Netflix added living proof of how easy it is to make a shitty live action remake available for us all to see, it's making me scared again.

dojo32161 posted: »

It's similar to how Netflix is going to be making a live action One Piece show in partership with another company but don't have the regular show itself... I'm so fucking scared of what live action One Piece will look like.

At least ATLA is mostly human characters with regular proportions with a power system that isn't too hard to adapt in live action (though M. Night certainly did his damnedest to make it bad in their movie). One Piece is like this most of the time:

How do you think I feel in regards to the live action A:TLA remake? The one thing making me hopeful is that the original creators are direct

• I attempted making smash burgers for the first time the other day. I used store bought brioche buns, homemade caramelised onions, american styled cheese, a nice looking tomato and 15% fat minced beef. God damn that was one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. It was pretty messy though since the buns pretty much disintegrated in my hands while I was eating but damn, that was worth the hit to my arteries.

• edited April 2020

I've been thinking recently about the ATLA Netflix remake, and I'm fairly optimistic about it.

Another childhood TV adaptation they've done in recent years is the A Series of Unfortunate Events (ASOUE) book series and I think that turned out pretty well, even outshining some aspects of the books at times.
    ASOUE also had a movie adaptation in the early 2000's, while I don't think it's as bad as the amount of animosity I hear ATLA's movie gets, it also didn't do much of the books justice (IMO as a fan). (Surprise, surprise, it was also part of the Paramount/Nickelodeon Movies lineup)

They
    (a) crammed 3 books into a just-under 2 hour movie
    (b) switched around the order of events, having the climax of the first book be the climax of Act 3, making no sense in the narrative and
    (c) revealed the cause of the main conflict -- Olaf burning down the Baudelaires' house (that the books had not and never did reveal).
    The movie did match the tone of the books, soundtrack and visuals being pretty gloomy, though the ending is a happy tied-up knot, betraying what the series is all about. Jim Carrey does a pretty cool Olaf though he's a bit too goofy at times compared to his book counterpart. Klaus' character doesn't wear glasses for some reason, and that's a major plot point in the 4th book, so that would have been weird to tiptoe around.

The Netflix series on the other hand is pretty great.
    (a) Each book gets two episodes, each with a ~1-hour runtime (though it's flexible at times). So, this means more scenes from each book get adapted and there's more time unravelling each mystery and plot thread.
    (b) The series' dialogue is very, very faithful to the books, which is either good or bad depending on your own views. Kinda stilted in delivery, though it can add to the world's whimsy and main characters' upper-class upbringing. Lemony Snicket, the narrator, is given a much bigger role and guides the viewer along the show's events, giving fun word definitions and strangely specific tangents.
    (c) While the tone of the show isn't as dark as the film, the goofy and uncanny moments of plot and worldbuilding certainly line up with how they're portrayed in the books.
    (d) Because of the added length for each book -- and the book series had already wrapped up 11 years prior -- this helped the series streamline some elements of the books so it all flowed into each other well. There's a subplot involving a secret organization in the books, though it only starts up by Book 5, nearly halfway through the series. The show constantly offers teases and adds in some "secret organization scenes" to Books 1-4 throughout the runtime, so it definitely improves upon the books in that regard.
    Neil Patrick Harris is hard not to see as "NPH in evil old-man makeup" at first, but he gets into the character eventually and is a bit less goofy than Carrey. He's at his best when he gets dark and serious, though those moments don't happen too often in the series. (The series does offer a lot of jokes and streaming-based 4th wall breaks (the latter, similarly to how the book often referenced or mocked other book genres). I've got a love-hate relationship with the added comedy.)
    The author also had major involvement in the writers' room, so that helped keep the show faithful a lot. For the movie, the director trashed his original pitch.

They did adapt the whole series with 25 episodes, and I've got faith that if ATLA has a big enough CGI budget, it should be good. ASOUE had some wonky CGI at times (I've heard that's a staple of director Barry Sonnenfeld), though the set and costume design were grrrreat!

I recommend watching the show if anyone's interested.

How do you think I feel in regards to the live action A:TLA remake? The one thing making me hopeful is that the original creators are direct

• Also TIL dojo lives in Canada

• Happy Easter Everyone!

• Just to keep your minds off Covid-19 here 7 adorable baby bats

• And to you as well friend!

Happy Easter Everyone!

• something's inside me
    it's, it's coming out
    i feel like killing you
    let loose the anger, held back too long
    my blood runs cold
    through my anatomy, dwells another being
    rooted in my cortex, a servant to its bidding
    brutality now becomes my appetite
    violence is now a way of life
    the sledge my tool to torture
    as it pounds down on your forehead
    eyes bulging from their sockets
    with every swing of my mallet
    i smash your fucking head in, until brains seep in
    through the cracks, blood does leak
    distorted beauty, catastrophe
    steaming slop, splattered all over me
    lifeless body, slouching dead
    lecherous abcess, where you once had a head
    avoiding the prophecy of my new found lust
    you will never live again, soon your life will end
    i'll see you die at my feet, eternally i smash your face
    facial bones collapse as i crack your skull in half
    crushing, cranial, contents
    draining the snot, i rip out the eyes
    squeezing them in my hands nerves are incised
    peeling the flesh off the bottom of my weapon
    involuntarily pulpifying facial regions
    suffer, and then you die
    torture, pulverized
    at one with my sixth sense, i feel free
    to kill as i please, no one can stop me
    created to kill, the carnage continues
    violently reshaping human facial tissue
    brutality becomes my appetite
    violence is now a way of life
    the sledge my tool to torture
    as it pounds down on your forehead

• Honestly, I am excited about the remake. But I've not been able to watch the original.

I honestly don't know if Netflix will fuck Avatar up, they did okay with The Witcher. So, I have high hopes. So, really, time will tell.

CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS THO!

• hairyasscrackweebawooba

• edited April 2020

One of my high school classmates passed away due to kidney cancer. We didn't talk with each other that much but she was a sweet girl. I remember the time when we played volleyball all alone in a sport class after teacher letting us do whatever we want. The recent news just made me feel.....empty. I just feel like my whole high school life was actually the life I wanted to live in forever. I had the best classmates, they were all nice and I miss every single one of them. The worst part is that we all have to move on from sad situations no matter what.

This is why I do not smoke or do drugs. It's the highest chance to get cancer from it, at least in my opinion. I never understood why they even exist, I tried a cigarette once and never wanted to do that ever again because having smoke in your mouth is just NOT FUN!!!

• I am so sorry for your loss.

AronDracula posted: »

One of my high school classmates passed away due to kidney cancer. We didn't talk with each other that much but she was a sweet girl. I reme

• You sound like my mom on the last part about the smoking she took one puff out a cigarette and she disposed it and said.

"Why is this a thing!!?...Considering majority of my mother's side of the family smoked and coming from a culture that makes the best well known cigars in the world.

Says a lot that Me my mom, dad and sister and even my cousin that's 5 years older than me rodent smoke.

But other then that I do miss my high school years back in 09 I was learning to troll people that said stupid stuff and now since I got better at it and if I had the same trolling skills as I do now back in 09.

I would've gotten noticed since I like to impersonate Quagmire, imperfect cell, Bill Cosby (Tim Curry's) Pennywise the Dancing Clown.

I just realized back in 07 I didn't use this Talent much because I really made my classmates laugh with my voice impressions.

That would've got me noticed with the ladies 😉

AronDracula posted: »

One of my high school classmates passed away due to kidney cancer. We didn't talk with each other that much but she was a sweet girl. I reme

• That would've got me noticed with the ladies 😉

lol jk

You sound like my mom on the last part about the smoking she took one puff out a cigarette and she disposed it and said. "Why is this a t

• Thanks

I am so sorry for your loss.

• edited April 2020

The trailer for the next chapter in the Dark Pictures Anthology game series, Little Hope is out. It seems to be based around the Salem witch trials which is a really neat premise.

As someone who found Man of Medan to be... not at all good. I really hope that they manage to pull this one off. It seems to be going straight supernatural horror this time instead of the previous chapter which had a relatively scientific explanation (which I actually quite liked), well except for the alien(?) skeleton which was only brought up once and never again. Unless aliens is a thing that ties all the games together.

Also, neat to see Will Poulter as a character in this, he's a great actor and I think this is his first gig in a video game so hopefully he does a good job. But as they say, good acting can't save a bad script. If Little Hope ends up being as not good as Man of Medan I think it might be safe to say that Until Dawn may have been a fluke for Supermassive, considering I haven't heard anything particularly great about any of their other projects post UD.

Huh, never heard of this series, could be interesting.

lupinb0y posted: »

The trailer for the next chapter in the Dark Pictures Anthology game series, Little Hope is out. It seems to be based around the Salem witch

• looks like this place gonna be quite for a good stretch of time again

• Why? What happened?

Poogers555 posted: »

looks like this place gonna be quite for a good stretch of time again

• sounds like there's a lunatic in fiona's head

• edited April 2020

Okay, who got a Walker chew off Fiona's brains out?

• Starting at 8pm PT tonight, Sony will be offering 2 games for free for all PS4 owners. The games are Journey, and Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (so it’s really 4 games since the Collection is Uncharted 1, 2, and 3). However, for those in Germany or China, instead of Uncharted, the free game will be Knack 2. Once you download them, they are yours to keep, forever.

I don’t know a thing about Journey, but you should DEFINITELY get Uncharted if you haven’t already, an amazing series. And I believe Uncharted 4 is also free for PS Plus members this month. So you can literally get the entire Uncharted series for free from now until May 5th.

• I guess I'll just get Journey since I already own the whole Uncharted franchise. I heard good things about Journey. They said it's short but an amazing experience.

Starting at 8pm PT tonight, Sony will be offering 2 games for free for all PS4 owners. The games are Journey, and Uncharted: The Nathan Drak

Sign in to comment in this discussion.