What would a Telltale Spider-Man game be tho?

I'm not sure about it tho, since Insomniac is already making Spider-Man 2 and that game is already getting big. But if we are sorta inpatient for the game, I would most likely want a Telltale Spider-Man game. I want a good take on Peter Parker with no cringe or cheesy moments, it will just be a fresh take with his normal life as Spider-Man. I'm not sure about who would voice Peter or the other characters. I just don't want Yuri Lowenthal pretty much tho since I want another voice actor. and I wouldn't choose Drake Bell since his voice for the character doesn't seem right, and already became a pedo. I would sorta choose Josh Keaton which fits perfectly. I would just choose some of the voice cast from Batman: The Telltale Series to do the voices on some of the games. I would like Season 1 to start off as an origin story, while in Season 2, Peter gets the Symbiote and how your relationships and choices with the characters go.

Comments

• Considering one of the defining aspects of Spiderman are his ability to swing on web, do dynamic flips & hits, and never shut up in action, not sure the Telltale format would be right for him. To say nothing of iconic villains like Doc Oct, Green Goblin, and Vulture.

Batman is at least far more grounded, reserved, and detective based with some emphasis on mobsters and barely superpowered villains like Joker, Penguins, and Scarecrow.

• Firstly I would agree that there are some Marvel characters who could suit a Telltale style experience much better, owning to what a great job the old Telltale did with both Guardians and Batman. Daredevil in particular strikes me as a character who would be perfect for Telltale since he's quite down to Earth, his powers could suit investigation sequences well and most importantly, his role as Matt Murdock vs that of Daredevil is something that could parallel Telltale's usage of Bruce Wayne vs Batman. He's a lawyer, so having a game that's as much about being a defense attorney as a superhero could be fun, working with Karen and Foggy to investigate matters, maybe even working alongside or against Jennifer Walters (aka She Hulk) in different cases. DD also has a nice rogues gallery that hasn't seen the attention that Spidey's had outside Kingpin and Bullseye. Others who could be perfect for Telltale include the Fantastic Four (science exploration and family dynamics), Ant Man and Wasp (size changing, more science and family matters), Moon Knight (multiple personalities and investigation) or the X-Men (multiple characters and dueling perspectives).

That said if there was a Telltale Spider-Man game, I would have it be similar to their take on Batman by making decisions as Peter Parker be as important as the ones he makes as Spider-Man. One way of making it different enough from the other games is to focus on a different time in Peter's life - I think his time at New York State University would be perfect, allowing you to mold his personality, relationships (Harry Osborn, Ned Leeds, Eddie Brock) and romances (avoid MJ for once and have Betty Brant, Gwen Stacy, Cindy Moon and as a twist for an original love interest, Otto Octavius' daughter Alice) and maybe even his academics (does Peter focus more on his love of science or journalism, putting him in line to be part of OSCORP or the Daily Bugle).

I would also have him be able to affect his villains, maybe with a choice that leads to one of his science overseers Curt Connors and Michael Morbius turning into their iconic monsters whilst the other remains an ally, a choice that affects what kind of Green Goblin Norman turns into (either the familar tech focused madman on the glider or the monster of the Ultimate Universe) and finally either Harry or Eddie becoming a version of Venom, based on your friendship with both of them. I would have a conflict between the science based villains and the blue collar baddies Spidey often faces like the Tinkerer, Vulture, Shocker and a female version of Scorpion.

• If Green Goblin was the main villain in Season 1, I wonder if you got to save Gwen in Episode 5

Firstly I would agree that there are some Marvel characters who could suit a Telltale style experience much better, owning to what a great j

• My current idea is that at the end of Episode 2 you would have to save either Cindy or Gwen from something, the one that you save is drawn more to becoming your love interest but the one you didn't gets bitten by a new radioactive spider and ends up getting powers similar to Peter, becoming something akin to Ghost Spider and Silk as in the comics. Like with Batman: Enemy Within I would have Episode 5 be completely different based on aspects like which villains are active and what version of Norman you're dealing with.

If Green Goblin was the main villain in Season 1, I wonder if you got to save Gwen in Episode 5

• a spider-man game without web-swinging or fun combat would be a terrible spider-man game

• There are more than enough games for Spider-Man that deliver that, just as there were already Batman games that delivered combat, so Telltale elected to focus on the decisions that Bruce makes as much as Batman and investigation. So with Spider-Man, what have games not done that much of? I'm not saying they wouldn't include some web swinging and combat, it just wouldn't be the focus. You would want to think about what sort of person Peter Parker is - his smarts, amplitude for creating gadgets, science and photography prowess, his tendency to operate alone vs working with others and the relationships he attempts to juggle with family, friends and love interests. Very few games have managed to get those elements down right - you read Spider-Man comics of the 60's, 70's and 80's and they're as much about Peter trying to help Aunt May or not piss off Betty or Gwen for missing a date as being Spider-Man and defeating Vulture or Electro: that is what made Peter such a distinctive hero at the time, he was a young hero that wasn't a sidekick (unheard of up to then) and dealt with the same sorts of problems the readers had. Telltale would want a Spider-Man game that's different from all the others, and these are the sorts of concepts they would likely consider. Insomniac does a great job with Peter Parker of course but that's mostly done via cutscenes instead of anything playable or decision making.

a spider-man game without web-swinging or fun combat would be a terrible spider-man game

Sign in to comment in this discussion.