First look at gameplay for The Expanse

Comments

• I forgot we had a section for this here :sweat_smile:

Bring on the gameplay! Very excited to see how this new Telltale might tackle puzzle-solving & cinematic gameplay, and if/how they'll bring back choice-based stuff they're so well known for.
    Just based on the gif, looks like they're going with the same exploration style as TWD S4.

• Looks neat

• edited August 2022

Hmm, the animations look pretty rough, but the zero gravity exploration seems pretty interesting. Not sold on it yet, but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Since the release date is more specific than the wolf one, I wonder if they're planning to release this one first.

• I think the story hook of "An entire ship has its crew beheaded and displayed" has me a bit interested, need to actually watch the TV series.

Pipas posted: »

Hmm, the animations look pretty rough, but the zero gravity exploration seems pretty interesting. Not sold on it yet, but I'll be keeping an

• edited August 2022

Probably the first "telltale game" I'll skip unless it gets glowing reviews.

I'm really confused about how the relationship between Deck Nine and Telltale works for this project. Does Deck Nine do the story or are they doing the technical stuff? I have no interest in playing if this game was written by the people at Deck Nine but might try if Telltale did the writing.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator
    edited August 2022

From the Game Informer article a few months back, it sounds like Telltale's writing, while Deck Nine does the development using the engine and tools, or at least, a collaboration on the writing front:

Telltale is working with Deck Nine, the studio behind 2021’s Life Is Strange: True Colors, on its Expanse project. Telltale views it as a co-development deal, with Deck Nine doing a lot of the heavy lifting using Telltale’s engine and tools. It’s a Telltale story told using Deck Nine’s voice.

4k60fpsHDR posted: »

Probably the first "telltale game" I'll skip unless it gets glowing reviews. I'm really confused about how the relationship between Deck

• edited August 2022

It could be a gread game, love the setting and the zero-gravity scenes.
    My only complaint are the heads - they are a little too big compared to the body IMHO, falling a bit into the uncanney valley.

• Gameplay looks fun, the art looks interesting, and I must say, even the plot of what they were showing look interesting.

RE the heads: the designs reminded me of Dishonored, of all things. I have no problems with a little stylized character design, although it does jar a bit with the rest of the design.

• Surprised how much it nails the telltale style. Missed this sort of cartoony expression. I have faith in deck nine and the stinger at the end caught me off guard, but in a good way. I have no idea what an expanse is and I don't plan on finding out. Will be keeping my eyes on this.

• Okay! Interesting first look.

I love the stylized realism they're going for here. It looks good to me.
    Wish we'd seen a bit more of the gameplay other than walking and flying around though the environments look nice. Seems choices will still play a part in this.

I'll probably have to get to watching the show to feel more invested in this.
    It being a prequel is nice though, so I don't have to be too much of an expert on the characters and lore.

Confirming a Summer 2023 release is neat. This has the edge on Wolf 2 for gameplay reveals, but I can still see Wolf 2 coming out in Spring 2023, then Expanse late Summer as well.
    Time will tell

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

I wonder if the floating scene is free or on rails.

Either way it reminds me of floating around in the game Prey so hopefully you can do some free floating.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.