Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited July 2022

Boooooo. Boooooo. Sony's death-grip on this character they're too afraid to use in their own slap-dash "Universe" is so infuriating.

It's not confirmed so take it with a grain of salt, this is supposedly the reason behind this change. Apparently Sony were very difficult to work with when it came to this shows production for whatever reason.

I assume "adjacent" means: Based on MCU Events, but spins-off into a new direction? Well, the MTV Spidey I'm very fond of did the same thing for the OG Sony Spider-Man movie, so, I guess we'll see what original ideas they can bring to that. The plentiful comic characters and Spidey buddies is already great news.
    ...This is still a Marvel Studios project, right? Sounds like What If: Spidey Edition.

Yep, it's still a Marvel Studios production, but it's essentially what if Norman Osborne was Peter's mentor instead of Tony Stark. Or what if Marvel Studios had Spider-Man from the start.

AChicken posted: »

My reaction to much of this can be boiled down to a sequence of various emotions but I'll try to boil it down to the cool stuff that's got m

• edited July 2022

New She-Hulk trailer with a VERY NICE SURPRISE AT THE END!

The show looks like a lot of fun! I think the CGI looks a lot better, though there's definitely still that bit of uncanny valley with her. I'm surprised they're actually going to do the 4th wall breaking from her comic. I'm sure there'll be some comparisons to Deadpool.

AND HE'S GOT THE YELLOW SUIT

• edited July 2022

Some pretty cool Marvel Studios news today!

MCU Films
    * Black Panther: Wakanda Forever will be the end of Phase Four of the MCU, with Ant-Man: Quantumania being the beginning of Phase Five.
    * Captain America 4 is officially titled, Captain America: New World Order. Interesting considering one of the episodes of Falcon and the Winter Soldier was titled this.
    * The Thunderbolts movie will be releasing in 2024.
    * MODOK will be making an appearance in Ant-Man: Quantumania.
    * Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 will be the end of the Guardians in the MCU.
    * Chukwudi Iwuji stars as the High Evolutionary in Guardians 3.
    * Maria Bakalova stars as Cosmo the Spacedog in Guardians 3.
    * The Marvels will be releasing in July 2023 and Blade in November 2023.

MCU Series
    * Secret Invasion will be the first MCU series in Phase Five.
    * Daredevil: Born Again will be an 18 episode series starring Charlie Cox and Vincent D'Onofrio as their respective characters. The series will premiere in 2024.
    * Daredevil will make his first appearance in the MCU in She-Hulk.
    * Cobie Smulders will be returning as Maria Hill in Secret Invasion.
    * The D+ series that will be releasing in 2023 are Secret Invasion, Echo, Loki Season 2 and Iron Heart, in that order.
    * The Agatha series is officially titled, Agatha: Coven of Chaos and will premiere at either the winter of 2023 or early 2024.

• edited July 2022

VERY NICE SURPRISE AT THE END!

Is this an appearance of Daredevil or Jessica Jones cause I'm doing some mighty heavy hoping one of them might show up in it!

Don't spoil tho!

lupinb0y posted: »

New She-Hulk trailer with a VERY NICE SURPRISE AT THE END! The show looks like a lot of fun! I think the CGI looks a lot better, thou

• edited July 2022

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever will be the end of Phase Four of the MCU, with Ant-Man: Quantumania being the beginning of Phase Five.

Given we haven't really had much of an arc for this Phase so far. Mostly just "Here's the Multiverse oooh!" Bit strange IMO
    And Ant Man 3 is gonna be Multiverse/Kang related too so, hmm interesting. It might finally set-up Lang as a big bad though which would be neat

Captain America 4 is officially titled, Captain America: New World Order. Interesting considering one of the episodes of Falcon and the Winter Soldier was titled this.

Yoooo we finally getting the Sam Wilson Cap movie?! Congrats Anthony Mackie!

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 will be the end of the Guardians in the MCU.

• Chukwudi Iwuji stars as the High Evolutionary in Guardians 3.
    • Maria Bakalova stars as Cosmo the Spacedog in Guardians 3.

Gonna be sad to see them go but YEAH COSMO FINALLY
    Did not expect Maria Bakalova but she's pretty darn great anyway. Can't wait for that.

• The Marvels will be releasing in July 2023 and Blade in November 2023.

Had no idea Blade was anywhere into production yet. Cool.

Series Stuff

HELL YEAH DAREDEVIL.
    Hopefully we get a MA rating or hard PG13 at least. If it's 18 episodes I hope it doesn't overstay it's welcome (like many of the Netflix shows did even with just 13 1hr eps.)
    Feels like it might be 30 mins each then if it's that many.

Oh. So Daredevil does appear in She Hulk.
    Awesome then!

Very nice 2023 slate of shows. Can't wait for more Loki.

Very intrigued by Secret Invasion. Should hopefully clarify a lot of Skrull stuff I've seen so many fans speculate about.

I haven't really looked it up myself as to why it would happen but it seems like a big deal in the comics. Apparently there might be some characters so far that are just Skrulls? Why? And since when? Feels like that would take away from some of their characterization but IDK anything about it anyway

Thanks for the brief rundown so far Lupin. Very informative

Some pretty cool Marvel Studios news today! MCU Films * Black Panther: Wakanda Forever will be the end of Phase Four of the MCU, with An

• The teaser trailer for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is out!

It really feels like a farewell Chadwick Boseman. I really hope they pull it off and give him the tribute he deserves.

• edited July 2022

WAIT THE NEWS ISN'T OVER YET!

• Fantastic Four will be start Phase Six of the MCU.
    • Avengers: Kang Dynasty and Avengers: Secret Wars has been announced, the two movies will have a six month gap between releases!
    • Secret Wars will be the end of Phase Six!
    • Both Avengers films will be releasing in 2025.
    • Also forgot to mention that the name of the current arc is The Multiverse Saga.

Full look at Phase Five movies (Big ass image)

First look at Phase Six movies (Also big ass image)

• edited July 2022

DAMN That BP2 set design looks gorgeous. Very classy trailer, fun tease.

That's a big slate of movies right there ooh.

That Phase 6 looks tiny... for now I guess. Back to back Avengers films is going to be wild, If they (and the VFX crew) can stick to it.

WAIT THE NEWS ISN'T OVER YET! * Fantastic Four will be start Phase Six of the MCU. * Avengers: Kang Dynasty and Avengers: Secret Wars

• There's a bunch of dates there so there'll be more movies/tv shows coming.

Back to back Avengers films is going to be wild, If they (and the VFX crew) can stick to it.

The fact that Infinity War and Endgame were only a year apart was pretty wild back then, but six months is nuts.

DAMN That BP2 set design looks gorgeous. Very classy trailer, fun tease. That's a big slate of movies right there ooh. That Phase 6 lo

• Well that was a lot of news today for Marvel.

She-Hulk looks like lots of fun. The 4th-wall breaking is going to be new for the MCU. The CGI still looks a bit iffy in some parts (it's just not as fluid as a real person would). But still, excited.

Only (just over) 10 months to go until Spider-Verse 2! I'm hoping we get our first teaser on its original release date in October. Maybe.

• edited July 2022

Episode 5 of Ms. Marvel has got a lot of finality I'm surprised it isn't the last episode, if those last 5 minutes didn't happen.

The entire Partition sequence was superb. It held up to all that hype I've heard about it.
    The show felt like it turned into a completely different thing there and they did a really nice job crafting a 20-minute tragic love story in a chaotic time (reading articles about Partition now, and it sounds horrifying)

The closed-loop-paradox thing was ehhh, okay. Wasn't really expecting that from this show but it was used well enough and strengthens Kamala's link/knowledge to her past.

That whole present day scene right after... ouch. What went on in the writers room? What did they cut out?
    Inexplicable sacrifice from Najma after her buddy dies from entering the gate -- but she does it and manages to close it. Suddenly cares about Kamran despite leaving him in a max security prison. Kamran suddenly gets powers from it, while still stranded at the prison?
    Marvel clearly skipped something in the explanation process because that was rough. Also very rough SFX too.
    Najma in general just seems really poorly written too

That could have been the end though with the big bad gone, Kamala ousted her powers, learns about her family's past...
    But then oh yeah Bruno is still a thing and DODC are mega jerks.
    I hope Kamran doesn't turn evil or something, expecting his mother to come back (again, why?? She literally abandoned him last episode?) But Marvel loves their Mirror Matches so we'll see.

The slice of life stuff in this show is always fantastic though. Really wish we'd get more episodes instead of just strict 6, cause the family moments where nothing really happens to further the plot are great

• Finished Ms. Marvel now and I can't be more hyped for The Marvels late next year. (It's been such a fun show and I'm sad we won't be seeing more Kamala for a long time until then)

Episode 6 was very good apart from some small bits

• The reveal to her family being so anticlimactic just because her Mom already gossiped to them was hilarious.
    • This episode had one of the weirdest time-of-day transitions I've ever seen. One minute Kamala is carrying Kamran out of an alley in the afternoon. The next minute, establishing shot of the city at night-time and they're at the school when it's very dark out. Did they limp across the city for like 3 hours straight?
    • They literally Home Alone'd the school. It was kinda smart. A bit farfetched they set up so much so perfectly, when Damage Control was so on their tail. But it kinda fit the vibe of the show, so, fun!
    • Eehhh we almost had another Marvel Mirror Match between Kamala and Kamran, thankfully it didn't really get down to that.
    • I did not expect that Agent Lady to kind of become the big bad of the DODC by the end of the show. Jeeeeeeez! She's really got no remorse about sending armed goons into a school, shooting at minors with bullets later, all in front of their own community?!
      Thank goodness P. Cleary has some sense and fired her and even tried to stop her beforehand. Between NWH and this, I expected him to be a bit more secretly unhinged.

• Kamala checking in on her adversary's goons after destroying their truck, so wholesome. ("You okay guys?" "Yes, thanks Night Light" "Not that name!")

• Embiggen! Aw yeah! They made that effect work pretty well, I'd say. Her tiny head with those large crystal limbs though look kinda weird.
    • And by the end, she saves the day, Kamran might be in good hands, and she gets her superhero name!
    • love that her mother made her costume and her father coined her Ms. Marvel. Such an awesome familial superhero dynamic.
    • oh yeah and they used the M Word! Ooooh.
    • Given that post-credits scene, that's definitely Carol Danvers freaked out about Kamala's room. I'm guessing they switched places somehow? Maybe Carol was investigating something related to the bangle, and it triggered it. Hopefully Kamala isn't floating out in space now. This is gonna be a hard cliffhanger to wait for...

Really nice show. It had it's issues in writing, Special FX and stylistic consistency, but still pretty solid. Great vibes all around for sure.

• Watched episode 1 of She-Hulk and I thought it was super solid! Tatiana Maslany did a great job portraying Jennifer and I really enjoyed her banter with Bruce. There's a lot of insight into Jen's character with how she deals with her newfound abilities and how it contrasts with her life as an attorney. The episode even expands more on Bruce as a character and some of the issues he faced throughout the years as Hulk and the aftermath of the Infinity Saga. It's a bit sad to say but this is the most development he's gotten in a while.

There's also some action in the middle and a quick one right at the very end. Also I am thankful to say that the CG is also much improved from the trailers. A lot less uncanny valley in my opinion. The episode also has a fun after credits scene which concludes a recurring joke throughout the episode. Apparently each episode will have one so keep an eye out.

Again I thought it was solid overall. Aside from a really weirdly cut scene at the end I really enjoyed it.

• edited August 2022

Nearly done Jessica Jones Season 2 and I'm gonna have a lot of good to say about it when I'm done. It's not amazing, but it's been a really interesting season so far.

Episode 11 had a payoff I've been waiting/expecting for a while and I'm impressed they managed to wait so late into the season to let it happen.

• edited August 2022

She Hulk Episode 1! Been hyped for this series for a while, a bit sad to say I only thought it was "okay".

Much of the episode felt a bit too expositiony with explaining and setting up Jen's Hulk powers in a montage, and honestly felt like it was cut out of part of a movie, with very little opening set-up and unfortunately a very sudden ending. It didn't feel like a TV pilot, that felt weird to me.
    Maybe it'll get into a legal+superhero groove by episode 2. Episode went by real fast and I already want more.

The CGI is pretty darn good! Smart Hulk looked pretty great throughout the episode, I'm guessing that might have been an easier job to mo-cap since they already had his model and technique from Endgame.
    For Jen though, mostly good, but something about her facial movements sometimes dived into uncanny valley territory. The tracking might've been a bit off, some reactions of her green face didn't have the kind of facial tics you'd see in a IRL humans'

And that ending? Ehhh? That's the supposed big bad of the show (woohoo Jameela Jamil!) But her showing up randomly then immediately getting pummeled by She Hulk was pretty anticlimactic and it's gonna be a weird jumping off point from there.

I'm interested in Episode 2 though! Definitely! Kinda wish they released two at the start. Wasn't enough legal comedy I was expecting from all the marketing

Comedy throughout the episode was nice, 4th wall-breaking was also awesome. Tatiana Maslany is electric

That Captain America joke is golden. Hilarious end-credit scene.

A recent trailer sounds like it'll be an interesting Superhero Legal show, bouncing between different cases of different guest stars. (Probably explains the new "Special Guest Star" credit for Mark Ruffalo; other Marvel series haven't had that, and I can guess who that'll be used for in the future)
    So that's exciting!

• edited August 2022

Just finished Jessica Jones Season 2! It was a really good season with lots of interesting character arcs and writing choices. Though also has some issues that bring it down a bit.
    It's been a long while since I saw the Defenders show, so I figured recently I'd get back into the Marvel Netflix shows (that Disney streams now). So, it's been ages since I've seen S1, but it was still fun.

This season's events and main case surrounds Jessica's accident as a child and how she got her powers, or, who gave them to her.
    What's most intriguing is that there isn't much of a central, prominent villain in the season. It flips flops between different 'antagonists' and threats, but overall isn't as much of a detractor as I'd have expected.
    What fascinates me the most -- and this is thanks to some reading fan-reviews -- is that the "main antagonist" to this season seems to be the concept of addiction and re-lapse. And It worked out pretty darn well I'd say! Every character has some captivating plot driven by their addiction, and it's all pretty tragic in various ways at various times. .

• Jessica fights her addiction to loneliness and emotional isolation, which backfires a bit and creates a huge moral dilemma within her when she has to decide to trust her long-thought-dead Mother-turned-murderer.
    • Trish constantly falls into an addiction to super-powers, Driven by her jealousy of Jessica, and boils over into a warped "hero/saviour complex" by the end of the season in one shocking moment.
    • Jeri Hogarth's addiction to power and money to get whatever she wants is tested when she's diagnosed with ALS, something incurable, and her power is shattered even further when her material possessions are stolen from her later on.
    • and Dr. Karl, the shady scientist, is addicted to performing experimental, deadly, and ethically absent operations on individuals, who he believes is offering a great service to them. So he has a re-lapse later on in the show that nearly proves deadly.

The season has a pretty interesting mystery that also has a few smaller mini-cases on the side. Something that really helps ease the pacing of the frustratingly rigid structure of the old Marvel Netflix series, 13-episode mandate). I never got too bored of the events playing out or how long it would take to advance the main plot, since it all went pretty nicely.

The coolest and most anticipated moment for me occured in Episode 11, where after accidentally killing someone, Jessica starts to hallucinate Kilgrave -- David Tennant himself appears for a majority of that episode to taunt her in her mind, and they used him really well. I'm not surprised he showed up -- when you have a villain who is acted by someone so captivating and had such influence on the main character, I'd expect them to show up a bit later in the aftermath -- but they took their sweet time to get to addressing Jessica's trauma at finally defeating her abuser.
    The use of Kilgrave here was really smart. He sort-of represented her repressed anger and fear of her past actions, and as he's only a figment of her mind, provides a bit of a twisted internal monologue on observations and characters around her, which Tennant really loves to chew the scenery about juuuust right.
    Episode 11, fantastic episode.

I also have to give kudos to the actor who played Dr. Karl - Callum Keith Rennie. He's a character who has clearly crossed major ethical boundaries in forcing these experimental tests onto dying people, that may offer side-effects that can completely change a person for better or worse (either superpower-related or not) -- and yet, he's played in such a way that he feels completely and utterly like he's been doing the right thing. In a small way, he has, as he did save the lives of plenty of people by doing his experiments.

But what Callum brings to the role is such a calming bedside manner. One that you'd probably hear from a nice doctor. He's excited by the "new science" he's creating and always strives to perfect his methods -- and cure Jessica's mother of some personality-altering anger issues -- he really feels like a character who believes to be utterly in the medical right and genuinely wants the best for his patients.
    Way, way off-base from your typical "villain" behavior from Marvel. I found that really refreshing and intriguing.

It did feel pretty aimless at times though, with no central villain. Wasn't totally sure who was the main threat Jessica had to deal with as the goalposts kept moving, but that might've been the intention.
    Trish's new boyfriend being an 'evil red herring' was played well. Some random new British dude shows up in her life between seasons(?) and I was suspicious from the start. Luckily I was wrong. Though he does just outright disappear from the show after a certain point which was a bit weird.
    And despite how sad Hogarth's plotline with her illness was, I didn't particularly enjoy it, as it mostly slowed the show down too much from other events going on which was distracting. She still acted really well though (and she (and the writers) got two lesbian relationships going on in one season, that's pretty neat in terms of keeping her representation a focal point)

So, pretty enjoyable season overall and it sets up a lot of interesting new character dynamics for the next/final one. But that's for another time, since I'll probably jump into a different Marvel season sequel before that.

And on that note, I also partially watched this season to prepare myself for the possible reintroduction of JJ in the MCU via She-Hulk. There's only been light rumours so far, but it's a possibility given the show's legal genre and attachment to Daredevil coming up.
    I really hope all the Marvel-Netflix stars can make the jump to Marvel Studios since they've been treating Charlie Cox really well since he was revealed (a cameo in NWH, a role in She-Hulk, Echo, Freshman Year, and his own new show). I'd love to see the others get a piece of that pie, or at the very least Krysten Ritter. She plays Jessica very well.

• This has little to do with the discussion above however, I did love the MCU and I think Endgame is where it should’ve ended. The only other movie I enjoyed was No Way Home. I do not like how they are handling the MCU now. I do not like the fact that I have to watch a 10 or more episode show to understand a movie’s storyline. It was cool with WandaVision(which I have not seen apart from the first episode). Yes I know WandaVision has 4 episodes only but that was the first show that tied in with a movie so it felt special. I feel like how they are spacing out the movies will be to much of a hassle for the casual moviegoer. Why watch 5 shows and then watch how each will explain a movie?
    It’s like when video games include a prequel comic to explain some sort of storyline to why a character is they way they are but then it’s explained in the game anyway because not everyone read the comic. So there is no reason to spend the 10+ hours to watch a show if the movie will explain it anyways.
    Just a bit of a discussion I like to engage in with my friends and family who still watch the MCU. Not hating on anyone or anything like that. 😇

• WandaVision actually has 9 episodes. B)

A lot of MCU things reference each other, but you don't have to watch them all if you don't want to. You may not catch every reference or understand why things have to be the way they are, but you can still follow and enjoy the plotline of whatever you're watching.

This has little to do with the discussion above however, I did love the MCU and I think Endgame is where it should’ve ended. The only other

• It has 9 episodes? I never got around to watching past episode 1 not that it was boring or anything but because I thought Disney was just milking the series at that point.
    However I do read a lot of Marvel Comics so I do understand a lot of what is going on. 😄

WarpSpeed posted: »

WandaVision actually has 9 episodes. A lot of MCU things reference each other, but you don't have to watch them all if you don't want t

• edited August 2022

In a fun bit of marketing (that apparently she asked the team if she could do it), Jameela Jamil went out in costume and vandalized a She-Hulk ad (in... idk where... LA?)

Kinda got me excited for this week's episode. Would be cool to learn more about the main antagonist so early.
    And we're getting a american-accented Jameela Jamil. Cool!

• edited August 2022

I continue to enjoy She-Hulk! The episode properly ties The Incredible Hulk movie into the MCU with the formal re-introduction of Blonsky/Abomination, callbacks to the events of the movie and a cheeky nod at the recasting of Bruce Banner. I liked seeing Blonsky again, though his current character kind of feels a bit too similar to Trevor. I really like Tatiana Maslany in the role, she really does a great job with the humour and the more serious moments, even if they are few and far between. The episode's super short too, just around 20 minutes, not including credits. I really wish episodes were a bit longer cause this one felt like it blew by really quick.

Overall good episode, I liked the humour more in this, more of that sibling-like relationship between Jen and Bruce, the return of Blonsky, and some cheeky nods and stuff to the wider MCU.

Spoilers

• There's a blink and you'll miss it reference to Wolverine and the events of Eternals (finally) about 6 minutes into the episode on the website Jen is looking at.
    • The articles on the website being, "Man fights with metal claws in bar brawl" and "Why there is a giant statue of a man sticking out of the ocean."
    • The nod to Bruce Banner recasting was pretty cute, with Jen literally looking at the camera and going "Ha ha."
    • I was wondering if they were going to bring up Wong breaking Blonsky out of jail to compete in illegal fighting matches. Makes sense that this is the reason Wong will make an appearance.
    • Looks like that'll be the last we'll see of Bruce for the remainder of the series considering he's in space now. I wonder what that will lead to.
  • edited August 2022

Really enjoyed Episode 2 of She Hulk! Finally getting into that legal comedy show I've been interested in.

Super cool to see Marvel actually address the Incredible Hulk film from so, so, so long ago in their live-action slate again. I've still never seen the film, but I don't really need to know it (thank god) other than Abomination is a bad, bad dude who may or may not be able to be trusted. Who knows if 11 years in the slammer has helped him reform?
    The subplot of Jennifer needing to jiggle her Jen and She-Hulk persona now because of her job requirement is interesting. Based on the trailers she seems to get to a point where she embraces or kind of envies her own Green self as being a big, good-looking woman, I wonder how we get to there. Still, I like her as normal Jen. Hopefully she can break out of this "you must be She Hulk at work" thing, it sucks for her.

I wonder if this is the last we'll see of Bruce for the series... that exit was pretty fast and I don't think they'll have time to address it here.

Great episode. Quite short. This is gonna be a slow 8 more weeks.

• The GMK/H Logo on the TV screens in their offices are very familiar... *That's because they are the same (generic) original logos for She Hulk that was revealed on Disney Plus Day last year!

• On Tim Roth's IMDB page, he's credited as having starred in 8 episodes for the show. So... I guess Blonsky's case is going to be the main issue that revolves around the whole season.

• Still wonder what is going on with Titania. Really expected her to show up or get some explanation for her sudden entrance, especially with that marketing tease, and how much they've been pushing her in pre-release stuff.
    • The fact that this was set during Shang Chi was a nice twist. I guess Wong getting him out for a quick Cage Match wouldn't go unnoticed, huh?
      (Okay the internet is saying it probably isn't? This is supposed to take place in Summer 2025, Shang-Chi took place April 2024. So the news report is about leaked footage, not recent events)

• Also I guess we have our reason for Wong being in this show! He's definitely gonna need a lawyer after doing that!
      Still wondering how Daredevil is going to tie into all this too... ooh it's exciting.

@lupinb0y

There's a blink and you'll miss it reference to Wolverine and the events of Eternals (finally) about 6 minutes into the episode on the website Jen is looking at.

Ooh yeah. "Man with metal claws involved in bar brawl." I don't think it might actually be Wolverine, but... who knows?! Would be quite the set-up if that actually leads up to something in the greater MCU

also thank you reddit: Jennifer's phone lock screen

She really is a fan of Cap lmao

• edited August 2022

Also has anyone seen that new No Way Home poster for the re-release?
    It's the Sony poster to end all Sony posters.

I count 13 floating heads plus some extra tiny people for good measure.
    Why must they do this. Why is Flash on there lmao.

Also I really don't like the blue and red lettering. When they were promoting the digital and DVD releases, they used a White and Red lettering and it looked infinitely better. But now it's back to what it was again.

• On Tim Roth's IMDB page, he's credited as having starred in 8 episodes for the show. So... I guess Blonsky's case is going to be the main issue that revolves around the whole season.

The way IMDb works is that they put all "big" characters and put em in all episodes, and then as episodes release they edit. He was in all 9 originally, then edited out of episode 1 after episode 1 aired. Same happened with Sharon Carter in TFATWS, or Sylvie in Loki for example.

Really enjoyed Episode 2 of She Hulk! Finally getting into that legal comedy show I've been interested in. Super cool to see Marvel actua

• Oh interesting. Thanks for pointing that out

captainivy1 posted: »

(Spoiler) The way IMDb works is that they put all "big" characters and put em in all episodes, and then as episodes release they edit. He

• edited August 2022

Have I mentioned how much I hate Screen Culture?

Like... jeeez. Cool it with the misinformation, and terribly-edited "trailers"

• edited September 2022

She-Hulk episode 3 is out and I thought it was great! Really fun, had me laughing quite a bit, love all the lawyer stuff that happens and Wong is in it. I really like the supporting cast so far, especially Pug, who gets his own ongoing plotline in the episode, he has this golden retriever feel to him. Unlike last week, the episode felt well paced and it didn't feel too short or long. CG-wise this is probably the worst in the season so far lol. It's very obvious in the episode, at least more so than usual, that she's a CG person.

Also there's another awkwardly cut together fight scene in this. The best comparison I have with this one and the first episode is that it each shot kinda felt like a panel from a comic. Maybe that's what they were going for but it just isn't really working out. Or the people working on this just aren't that great at choreographing fight scenes lol.

Overall I had a really good time with it, my favourite of the bunch so far. Once again watch out for the after credits scene. It's pretty... wild.

Spoilers

Oof, seeing all those social media comments and videos about making all the female superheroes was too real.
    I wonder if Wong was late
    I love that Wong just fuckin' dips as soon as he's threatened with being arrested.
    I was sure that the end of Blonsky's trial would somehow lead into a Thunderbolts in some way. Maybe that'll happen later?
    Seeing She-Hulk twerking with Meghan Thee Stallion was not something I expected to see but it was pretty funny lol.

• edited September 2022

Wong is back in episode 4 so it's automatically good. Had fun seeing Jen speed dating, the magic lawsuit was fun especially with Wong in the mix, Madisynn was great and I'll be disappointed if this is the last we see of her. RIP all the people who are in the middle of watching the Sopranos and decided to watch this. CGI at the start was pretty rough but by the second half it's probably the best of the series so far honestly. There's some more action in here that looked a lot better than what we've had so far as well. Episode 3 is still the best one for me so far but I very much enjoyed this one.

Spoilers

• I thought they fuckin' said Johnny Blaze and thought they were finally bringing in Ghost Rider. Nope, we get Donny.
    • Finally looks like Titania will return in the next episode. Been wondering where she was.
    • I love the weird friendship between Wong and Madisynn.
  • Mid-season trailer for She-Hulk, with an expanded sneak peek of everyone's favourite catholic superhero!

Really seems like they nailed the characterisation of Matt in this.

I hope they fuck.

• edited September 2022

D23 is going on this weekend and today is the Marvel and Lucasfilm day.

It's still going on so this might be incomplete but for now we have
    A Secret Invasion trailer!

And a Werewolf By Night trailer!

Werewolf is pretty interesting to me. I kept hearing so many Marvel fans and publications saying that it was a one-off mini movie that would come out October 2022.
    But apart from that I couldn't find any trace of a logo or details about the film or its release, I'd thought maybe Marvel quietly cancelled it?
    But here it is. Finally. A trailer and confirmation of its existence.
    Is this just not going to be canon to the MCU or something, because I haven't heard a peep about this from Marvel all year, as if it wasn't relevant to Phase 4

• edited September 2022

Finally got to Episodes 3 and 4 of She Hulk

I'm really enjoying this series so far. The fourth wall breaks are fun. They're doing a great job with the sitcom style of the show and it's really fun to see established Marvel characters get into silly legal shenanigans instead of issues they can solve with fighting or magic powers, plus have more opportunity to deliver fun jokes in a format where they are expected and natural(?) I guess you could say.
    Comedic Matt/Daredevil is going to be fun!

• Seeing Emil's 7 pen pals appear in court was really funny. They really do exist!
    • They are so on point about the stupid sexist controversy this show is getting, with that quick scene on reactions to She-Hulk's appearance and "When Wong shows up we get Twitter armor for a week" lol
    • Meghan Thee Stallion now official MCU canon lol. Cool that she agreed to appear here, i would have never guessed her to be associated with a Marvel project.
    • And.... that after credits scene of Episode 3... the moment only lasted 4-5 seconds and I cannot believe how it made sexist twitter go INSANE. What in the 7 realms...
    • "Was it true you were rejected by the Avengers?" -- "Yes, you heard it here first folks, that was She-Hulk walking by just now, rumored to have been rejected by the Avengers!" :D
    • That actress who played Madisynn was AMAZING!! She played ditsy-drunk so, so well. Didn't feel fake, didn't go too far to be annoying, and had some endearment to it. I need her and Wongers!! to have more scenes together.
    • That Episode 3 fight scene was also pretty awkward. Plus the dialogue "When she turned into She-Hulk its like her skin became indestructible..." thanks captain obvious.
    • Titania may finally have relevance in this show now given that ending and recent trailer. But it revolving around some fashion copyright issue is not what I expected. Then what was the whole point of her random appearance in Episode 1?? I thought there'd be some trial by now with Jen as a witness, but nope they just skipped over it all.

Ah well. Really fun series so far.
    Donny Blaze's assistant is actually 104 years old in real life. Look it up, the guy is amazing, and now the oldest actor in the MCU.
    I just wish we got like 2 episodes a week because the length is short but the wait is long... but also I wish they had taken their time and let the VFX artists actually finish their work instead or rushing this show.
    Uncanny details of She-Hulk so far seem to be the Hair (very difficult to animate) and the extremely smooth skin. It looks unnatural compared to Bruce-Hulk's very textured and roughened face.

Wong is back in episode 4 so it's automatically good.

Aha! Jen was right, they do get Twitter armor!

I thought they fuckin' said Johnny Blaze and thought they were finally bringing in Ghost Rider. Nope, we get Donny.

Ralph Bohner 2: Electric Bohneroo

• I absolutely love that Werewolf by Night looks like an old Universal horror movie and there seems to be a lot of practical effects as well. Also I'm VERY surprised with the gore in that trailer.

Is this just not going to be canon to the MCU or something, because I haven't heard a peep about this from Marvel all year, as if it wasn't relevant to Phase 4

It could be set in the multiverse of the MCU, those soldiers with the glow sticks kinda look like the TVA.

D23 is going on this weekend and today is the Marvel and Lucasfilm day. It's still going on so this might be incomplete but for now we ha

• edited September 2022

Other MCU news from D23 Expo!

Captain America: New World Order

• Tim Blake Nelson will be reprising his role as The Leader from the Incredible Hulk. Jesus that is a long gap.
    • Danny Ramirez is back as Joaquin Torres, who will be the new Falcon, and Jack Lumbly will return as Isaiah Bradley.

Thunderbolts

• The current line-up for this gang of anti-heroes includes Ghost (Ant-Man and The Wasp), Red Guardian (Black Widow), Yelena Belova, Bucky Barnes, U.S. Agent (Falcon and the Winter Soldier), and Taskmaster (Black Widow).
    • I'm surprised Justin Hammer isn't in this honestly, but maybe he'll be added in later since apparently this isn't the full line-up.
    • Concept art of the team.

Echo

• A trailer was shown privately to guests.
    • According to Variety:

The “Echo” footage, which was exclusive to those in the room at D23, included subtitles, shots of Native people and tons of Echo (Cox) kicking ass. At the very end of the first-look video, Vincent D’Onofrio’s Kingpin returns and is wearing an eyepatch.

Armor Wars

• The series will tie directly to Secret Invasion.

The Marvels

• Footage was shown privately to guests.
    • According to Variety:

The first footage (shown only to the room) was aggressively fun. The movie will pick up right after the “Ms. Marvel” post credits scene (and yes that means we will see the return of Goose). We got glimpses of Captain Rambeau as an astronaut at Saber Space Station with Nick Fury. When her character approaches a jump point perimeter, she hits it and transforms into (surprise) Ms. Marvel. Turns out every time they use their powers they swap places and now Kamala Khan is in the spacesuit. Cut to Fury and Rambeau headed to Khan’s house. Fight scenes inside her living room and loads of action.

• Guess who's completely alone in a movie theater about to watch the Spider-Man NWH re-release?

This guy 🐔 👈

Figured I found the original film so fun why not watch it again with a few extras on the big screen. Plus my dad's covering it for me so that's nice.

If anyone's interested in catching this extended re-release before its gone, do so before Thursday.
    My local theatre website doesn't show any tickets past Thursday, and Sony's site says the same thing. So I guess it's a limited 2-week release and that's it.

• Alrighty so the extra stuff. I think I noticed all of them, even though I've only seen the movie once before.

We got

• An extended interrogation scene from the DODC, showing them interrogating Peter, questioning him on what happened at the Washington monument (using a whiteboard with stick figures) and "tell us everything about Night Monkey!"
      Also possibly an extended Aunt May scene too? She mentions being arrested for protesting in the past I don't remember that.

• The scene where Spidey's suit gets doused with green slime is added, also where he strings up his brother (Tom Holland's brother) for committing a crime, while people around Spidey chastise him for it, saying he's too young to be stringing people up like that. (He's just a kid! No he's 14! No he's not!)

• There's also plenty of added scenes at the high school -- these should have stayed in the film, since there's really nothing much related to the school in the original cut and that was disappointing.
      Some of the stuff is: a scene in Gym Class, where the class forces Peter to climb up a wall to see his spider-powers. Another is a school broadcast from Betty Brant, interviewing Peter, Ned, Mr Harrington, The Teachers, and Flash about various things: conspiracy theories, whether Ned's a good boyfriend, about Flash's book, whether Peter wants to say "thanks" or "thanks for nothing" to the spider that bit him. It was pretty funny, plus with intentional bad green-screening. Plus a short bit about students' art projects to redesign the Statue of Liberty.

• The next bit I think is after they first capture Octavius, and Peter, MJ, and Ned are setting up in Strange's basement area. It's a whole montage with The Monster Mash playing where they sort through and look at various weird Strange objects. Kinda cool, that's all.

• The next is after Peter first meets Electro, you see a clip of The Daily Bugle, where Jameson interviews an electrical worker who saw the fight -- but he mentions Spidey fighting a Dirt Man and a Power Man, which Jameson scoffs at and ends the interview.
    • After they take the villains to May's apartment, there's a quick scene with Matt and Happy at a deposition with the DODC. Matt tells Happy he can notice he's sweating, Happy asks "How do you keep doing that?" and notices Peter and the gang at the apartment front door.
    • I don't think the next extended scene happens until the 3 Peters talking on top of the Statue of Liberty before the fight. There's a conversation that goes a lot longer into Tobey's organic webs, how conscious of it is he, with Andrew saying "I want to see the holes!" and another bit about Andrew needing to work on his self-esteem and try out some self-affirmations. "You are Amazing... say it!"
    • And then after that, I think it's just the last post-credit scene that replaces the Doctor Strange 2 trailer. This time it's the final broadcast from Betty Brant, showing off the crazy years of school they've had, but with Peter noticeably missing. He's either not there or his face is coincidentally obscured by something specific, like a bird flying by at the perfect moment. I guess this shows how Strange's spell exactly worked, sort of making details fuzzier and changing small things so that any trace of him is gone. It was neat.

So yeah. Most of that I think was a good choice to cut. It kinda drags on the first third of the movie before things really get going, even if it's just 7 or 8 minutes more there. The school stuff I would love to have had included at the start, I always thought how weird it was the teachers and principal got that one scene in the hallway, and then nothing else about the school at all.

Still a really fun movie. It's a crossover bonanza, and plays out like a typical crossover TV episode or something, just really long. There's no real character set-up for the other bad guys, just a couple exposition dump pieces of dialogue that reference their films, but hey that's what's fun about it. It's a mess of fanservice, but a good one, and I still think it's probably the best Tom Holland Spidey film. Because of that fun.
    Also, the ending really got to me this time. I don't know why I missed it, maybe I was too caught up in the moment of the Final Fight or I didn't hear it -- but this time I got it: I heard that "The original spell to Forget Spider-Man won't work, so instead we'll overwrite that with Everyone will Forget Peter Parker" which is even scarier. Man, and it's heartbreaking. It's such an interesting character reset essentially, and I'm sure in the next film of his he'll probably get a new team of friends. Though going solo would be pretty cool.

Fun film. Still really impressed how much crossover there is here, it's mindblowing.
    You've got Villains from tons of different Spiderman films over the years fighting the 3 iconic Spideys over the years, because of a spell caused by Doctor Strange. Electro even gets an Arc Reactor to power-up, and the final fight takes place on top of a giant copper Captain America shield. There's even a good throwback reference or two to Oscorp that makes you realise how different the MCU has diverged so far. It's fantastic cinema.

• edited September 2022

She-Hulk continues to be a fun time! Titania finally makes her return, there's more courtroom nonsense and Jen is on her way to getting a cool new costume. Pug makes his return and this time he's teamed up with Nikki as they go on a fun little quest of their own. Mallory Book, played by Renée Elise Goldsberry (Angelica Schuyler), who previously appeared for like 5 seconds in the third episode gets much more screen time in this as well. It's really weird hearing Jameela Jamil with an American accent but I think she did a great job playing a Kardashian-esque social media influencer. No end credits scene this time, though with good reason!

Spoilers

• I looked up Luke Jacobson, the fashion designer, and he's such a deep cut in the history of Marvel that his wiki page just says that he had three appearances in a Dakota North (I have no idea who this is) comic in 1986 and that there's exactly one image of him on the website.
    • Looks like Daredevil's on the menu next week!
    • Pug's shoe display in the credits has a ton of references to Marvel characters (including the Fantastic Four, X-Men, Deadpool and even New Warriors).
  • Ooh yeah, pretty nice She Hulk episode this week! Bit of a step down from last week's, but it was still enjoyable.

• Finally, FINALLY, the continuation of that Titania plot that kind of dropped off the face of the earth. Jameela Jamil is doing some great work as an influencer-type, with an awesome American, slightly valley-girl accent. You know she's literally only in it for the clout, exposure, and money.
    • That "Shrek" burn sent me through the wall with laughter. Couldn't even settle for Fiona, yeouch!!
    • The sideplot involving the superhero fashion designer was pretty fun. The "Oh was that Chinese?" after Nikki's failed attempt at connecting with mandarin was pretty funny.
    • Luke the designer felt kinda flat, one-dimensional ish? He probably just needed a bit more screentime.
    • The DRIP BROKER. It's such a cheesy title but I love it lmao
    • The legal battle in this episode was pretty fun, and a cool way to tie in the previous dates in the series. Nerdy guy is still mega sus as a "so-called fanboy", literally no idea why Jennifer seems to give him the time of day.
    • I'm sad that there's no mid-credits scene. You can't just give us 4 in a row then not do it. They were cute comedic things!

That dang Daredevil tease! No idea how I'm gonna feel about the alleged Yellow-Red suit. Pure Red or Red-Black just screams "Devil" or at least "scary mystery man with kung-fu skills"
    Looks like next week is Daredevil week though and I am PUMPED

Pug's shoe display in the credits has a ton of references to Marvel characters (including the Fantastic Four, X-Men, Deadpool and even New Warriors).

that's pretty darn cool! (F4 is on there?! Wtf?!)
    I don't know what it is with Marvel Studios and sudden XMen references recently, but I like it. I just wish we had some idea as to if this might lead to something -- there's gotta be an XMen, Wolverine, or other mutant movie on the horizon, or some sort of definitive appearance in a film or series... the teasing is so interesting.

• edited September 2022

This weeks episode of She-Hulk is not at all what I was expecting, but after the initial bamboozle I ended up really liking it! There's the return of a certain character and the conflict that comes off of it is amazingly petty. Jen continues her battle against body dysmorphia, and more lawyer stuff with Mallory and Nikki as a fun B plot. The episode ends fairy dramatically as well, and there's no post credits scene once again. Also the VFX this episode looked really solid for the most part, same goes for the action. Looking forward to next weeks as usual!

Spoilers

• I can't believe they called themselves out for not having Daredevil in the episode lol. Hopefully this means our boy is making his appearance next week.
    • Man, Jen is constantly surrounded by terrible ass people. They'd better give her a break soon.
    • Reddit makes a cameo appearance as some kind of extremist incel site lmao.
    • The running gag of Mr. Immortal literally killing himself to get out of confrontations is pretty damn funny.
    • I wonder if the dude she's hanging out with is connected to the organisation that's trying to hunt her down.
  • Just released, a pre-vis video from Marvel stunt coordination team on a deleted fight scene involving some BRUTAL Scarlet Witch stuff. This would have been wild, and probably mentally-scarring to see.

• edited September 2022

It would have been fuckin' metal. This really makes me think that at one point there were talks to have Multiverse of Madness be rated R. There's no way the stunt coordinators made this while knowing the movie would be PG13.

Just released, a pre-vis video from Marvel stunt coordination team on a deleted fight scene involving some BRUTAL Scarlet Witch stuff. This

Sign in to comment in this discussion.