Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

Comments

• BEEG poster!!

I think I remember seeing an international version of this, kind of thinking it was fake, but wow! Cool stuff!
    Insomniac Spidey! Spectacular Spidey! Uhhh Werewolf Spidey??

lupinb0y posted: »

An even BIGGER Across the Spider-Verse poster has been released! That's a lotta Spider-Men.

• I think I remember seeing an international version of this, kind of thinking it was fake

Yeah there was a russian and chinese version of the poster but the colours were a bit dimmer in those.

Uhhh Werewolf Spidey??

Fun fact! There's a Marvel Zombies and Evil Dead crossover comic called Marvel Zombies vs. The Army of Darkness, starring Ash Williams as he faces off against the undead heroes. By the end of the comic he gets transported to a different universe where all the characters are werewolves instead of zombies.

Spoiler tagged cause the image is huge.

AChicken posted: »

BEEG poster!! I think I remember seeing an international version of this, kind of thinking it was fake, but wow! Cool stuff! Insomniac Spidey! Spectacular Spidey! Uhhh Werewolf Spidey??

• Wow that's pretty funny 😁

(Some would consider that an absolute win!)

I think I remember seeing an international version of this, kind of thinking it was fake Yeah there was a russian and chinese versio

• Fallout Spider-Man???

But seriously, this is probably way too much. Make both films 4 hours long and it will be fine, hopefully.

• So in a surprise twist, Marvel Studios is actually releasing a real version of the Scott Lang autobiography, 'Look Out for the Little Guy' from Ms. Marvel, Wakanda Forever, and the upcoming Quantumania. It's got a pre-order page and is set to release on September 5th.

Book synopsis:

This is the incredible story of an ex-con turned world-saving Super Hero.

In Look Out for the Little Guy, Scott Lang shares with the world a bracingly honest account of his struggles and triumphs, from serving time to being a divorced dad to becoming Ant-Man and joining The Avengers. These are stories of epic battles won and lost, as this everyman turned Super Hero finally tells all—from the official account of what really happened between The Avengers and Thanos to how shrinking down to ant-size really feels to the challenges of balancing the roles of hero and dad.

Across his many adventures big and small, Scott has gathered the wisdom of countless amazing experiences into this, the first memoir from a real-life Avenger. Once you learn the unforgettable details of his epic journey, you won't need to be reminded . . . to look out for the little guy.

“Introduces the man behind the hero, and the hero I call friend.” —Bruce Banner, fellow Avenger

• Sony is developing a live action Spider-Man: Noir series for Amazon.

Well at least this spin off is based on a Spider-Man. I wonder if this will be connected to the Spider-Verse movie or if it'll be a variant that will follow more closely to the comics.

"Fun" spoilery fact about the Spider-Man: Noir comic.

Uncle Ben was eaten alive by the Vulture who is a cannibalistic serial killer in the Noir-verse.

• Uncle Ben was eaten alive by the Vulture who is a cannibalistic serial killer in the Noir-verse.

Ah yes I remember that little reference in the Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions video game. Freaky.

Sony is developing a live action Spider-Man: Noir series for Amazon. Well at least this spin off is based on a Spider-Man. I wonder if th

• Nevermind, it seems to be another Spider-Manless Sony project lmao.

The untitled series will follow an older, grizzled superhero in 1930s New York City. An individual with knowledge of the project says that the show will be set in its own universe and the main character will not be Peter Parker.

Why are they like this.

Sony is developing a live action Spider-Man: Noir series for Amazon. Well at least this spin off is based on a Spider-Man. I wonder if th

• New trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3!

Has a very similarly dramatic and emotional feel from the previous trailer. It definitely feels like the end for the gang.

• That trailer is still looking pretty dramatic... I feel like Rocket's sad speech is some sort of red herring as to his supposed death (they wouldn't spoil that in the trailer right?) but who knows... it seems like someone is definitely destined to die at least.

I'm a bit worried with how they're going to rope in Alt Gamora into this. It looks like she's joined up with the group (reluctantly or not) in a lot of this footage -- and I wasn't expecting to see so much of her already, given how different her character is from the one that died.

• A couple cool news things!

Steven Yeun will be joining the MCU in an undisclosed role, starting with The Thunderbolts. Rumour has it, he'll be playing the antagonist of the movie and will going against the ragtag group of heroes.

The other news is that Disney is making Rogers: The Musical from the Hawkeye series into a real show, exclusively at California Disneyland. It will be a one act show and only available for a limited time sometime this year.

• That's some epic news lupin. Steven Yeun as a Marvel villain, ooh. Rogers the Musical being real (although exclusive to a theme park) neat.

Marvel released a poster for M**** in the new Ant Man movie and it's hilarious

SHARKBOY AND LAVAGIRL VIBES LMAOOOO

• edited March 2023

The Punisher -- Jon Bernthal -- is coming back!!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/daredevil-born-again-casts-jon-bernthal-punisher-1235342229/

Jon Bernthal is returning to his most punishing role. The actor will reprise Frank Castle, aka antihero the Punisher, in Marvel Studios’ Daredevil: Born Again for Disney+, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Bernthal joins Charlie Cox and Vincent D’Onofrio in the series, which begins shooting in New York this month. In a departure from other Marvel series, which come in at six or nine episodes per season, Born Again is planned as a whopping 18-episode epic. Writers and executive producers Matt Corman and Chris Ord are behind the show, which is expected to bow in the spring of 2024

Elden Henson and Deborah Ann Woll may not, according to HWR

However, other actors from the Netflix Daredevil series are not expected to return. Deborah Ann Woll and Elden Henson, who played classic supporting characters Karen Page and Foggy Nelson, respectively, are not on the roll call for the Marvel series. It is also unclear whether those characters will be recast or excised from the story.

• Jon Bernthal has talked about how he'd only come back if they don't sanitise him so hopefully they don't hold back on the violence. Unless he's back cause they pulled up with a dump truck full of money at his house. I'm not asking for piles of minced meat and gallons of blood, but like maybe a small mound at least.

Elden Henson and Deborah Ann Woll may not, according to HWR

Disappointed if that's true. I'm hoping for at least a small role for them.

The Punisher -- Jon Bernthal -- is coming back!! https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/daredevil-born-again-casts-jon-bernthal-

• edited March 2023

Marvel has revealed that one of the episodes of What If? season 2 will be about "what would happen if the Tesseract fell to Earth and landed in the sovereign Haudenosaunee Confederacy before the colonization of America."

The Tesseract takes on a new life and a new mythology, transforming a lake into a gateway to the stars and leading Kahhori, a young Mohawk woman, on a quest to discover her power.

The episode will also introduce an original native american hero by the name of Kahhori.

Big picture of Kahhori.

The article also goes into detail of the research and collaboration with the 'Mohawk Nation' when it came to writing the episode and creating the character which is cool. Seems to be that they're hoping for this to be the standout episode of the season. Also good to know that they're finally going all in on the what if concept. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the first season, especially the Strange episode, but it definitely played it safe.

• Wow that's really cool!

I guess this might mean the season could have a focus on completely original stories rather than twists on existing MCU films.

Marvel has revealed that one of the episodes of What If? season 2 will be about "what would happen if the Tesseract fell to Earth and landed

• edited March 2023

aw man I'm hyped as all hell for this film, but I hope this love triangle jealousy subplot isn't predictable and awkward as nearly every other version.

• Miles has a crush on Gwen but can't bring himself to say it
    • Meets a very competent Spider-Man, sees Gwen and Hobie already know each other (Mid-Act 1)
    • Misinterprets their very close friendship as a loving relationship
    • Pushes away or insults Gwen's relationship with Hobie in a fit of jealousy (the end of Act 2), they drift apart. Possible "I can explain!" -- "No!" runs away before they can explain
    • Realizes his mistake, apologizes, lets Gwen do her own thing/makes up with Hobie/gets the girl.

Just let everyone be friends, or don't make Miles a jerk just to add conflict. I'm okay with a bit more emphasis on a love story, as they teased it quite a bit in the first film, but man I've seen enough animated love triangles to be sick of them all.

https://twitter.com/AgentsFandom/status/1635311605939589120

• edited March 2023

Some important casting news you might want to know:

The Disney+ Daredevil series has been filming and they've recasted Vanessa from the Netflix series.
    https://thedirect.com/article/daredevil-vanessa-recast-marvel-netflix-disney-reboot

We also don't yet know if Elden Henson and Deborah Ann Woll are returning, but chances are by this point probably not :(

But in good news, Karan Soni and Leslie Uggams are returning for Deadpool 3.
    https://deadline.com/2023/03/karan-soni-leslie-uggams-deadpool-1235312293/

Also potential spoilers:

The rumor is that Owen Wilson's Mobius & the TVA will play a sizeable part in the three-quel.

So, some good casting stuff and some unfortunate sad ones... aww

Also dear god I hope those allegations about Jonathan Majors are false. I had thought he was a really good guy, not to mention that he's been signed up for many major movies for a couple years in the MCU. A re-casting would be quite the shake-up.

• The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) is a media franchise that includes a series of superhero films, television shows, and comics based on characters from Marvel Comics. The franchise is produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. It has become a global phenomenon and a cultural icon.

• The Disney+ Daredevil series has been filming and they've recasted Vanessa from the Netflix series.

Yep, apparently Ayelet Zurer had conflicting schedules and couldn't return to the role.

We also don't yet know if Elden Henson and Deborah Ann Woll are returning, but chances are by this point probably not

Unfortunately it really seems like they won't, though apparently the show will explain their lack of appearance so at the very least they still exist in-universe.

Also dear god I hope those allegations about Jonathan Majors are false. I had thought he was a really good guy, not to mention that he's been signed up for many major movies for a couple years in the MCU. A re-casting would be quite the shake-up.

It's really not looking good. Seems like Kang's dynasty will be very short lived.

Some important casting news you might want to know: The Disney+ Daredevil series has been filming and they've recasted Vanessa from the N

• The official trailer for Secret Invasion is out!

It looks really good! Looks to be a much more serious tone which is sorely needed. Hopefully this series ends up being the MCU's Andor. The trailer also makes it seem like Fury won't be in the MCU for long. He's still scheduled for The Marvels, but after that who knows.

• New GOTG3 posters today focusing on the rodent.

They're really good but now I'm scared.

• edited April 2023

New trailer for Across the Spider-Verse is out and it looks absolutly incredible! June cannot come soon enough!

The beginning really makes me think that the trio are going to be making cameos in the movie which'll be cool to see.

EDIT
    Also just realised that 2099 directly references No Way Home with the Doctor Strange and the little nerd comment.

• I was confused what you meant by the trio. Turns out the international trailer has a different beginning, they don't show them in the regular one - it has more of Miles scenes instead.

New trailer for Across the Spider-Verse is out and it looks absolutly incredible! June cannot come soon enough! The beginning really

• I still dunno what the story of this movie is going to be but I am glad they keep it a secret. Don't wanna ruin the fun.

• Ohh weird! It even shows that The Spot isn't actually a villain.

Pipas posted: »

I was confused what you meant by the trio. Turns out the international trailer has a different beginning, they don't show them in the regular one - it has more of Miles scenes instead.

• edited April 2023

Marvel released a featurette for Guardians 3!

Rocket is totally gonna eat it and I'm gonna die in the theatre.

• Rocket is totally gonna eat it

They're telegraphing it so much in marketing I'm sure it's some sort of misdirect, but at the same time I wouldn't be ready for anyone to die in this finale. :(

Drax seems like another solid candidate but that'll really suck too.

Marvel released a featurette for Guardians 3! Rocket is totally gonna eat it and I'm gonna die in the theatre.

• The teaser trailer for The Marvels is out!

No idea what it's going to be about but it looks fun! I wonder who the villain is, probably Moonstone.

• edited April 2023

Got a really interesting hook of "don't use your powers or you'll swap places!" I hope they can pull off some fun action scenes with that.

I'm so happy to finally see fan-girling Kamala Khan/Iman Vellani again.

The teaser trailer for The Marvels is out! No idea what it's going to be about but it looks fun! I wonder who the villain is, probably Moonstone.

• edited April 2023

James Gunn released the tracklist for the GOTG3 Soundtrack recently. I'm gonna wait until I've seen the film to listen to the whole thing, but it looks like it'll be great once again.

image of the album:

Also this further proves that Telltale did a great job with their MCU-inspired Guardians, since they unknowingly beat James to using 'Crazy On You' by Heart. :D

Full written tracklist is:

“Creep” (Acoustic Version) – Performed by Radiohead
    “Crazy On You” – Performed by Heart
    “Since You Been Gone” – Performed by Rainbow
    “In the Meantime” – Performed by Spacehog
    “Reasons” – Performed by Earth, Wind and Fire
    “Do You Realize??” – Performed by The Flaming Lips
    “We Care a Lot” – Performed by Faith No More
    “Koinu no Carnival” (From “Minute Waltz”) – Performed by EHAMIC
    “I’m Always Chasing Rainbows” – Performed by Alice Cooper
    “San Francisco” – Performed by The Mowgli’s
    “Poor Girl” – Performed by X
    “This Is the Day” – Performed by The The
    “No Sleep Till Brooklyn” – Performed by Beastie Boys
    “Dog Days Are Over” – Performed by Florence + The Machine
    “Badlands” – Performed by Bruce Springsteen
    “I Will Dare” – Performed by The Replacements
    “Come and Get Your Love” – Performed by Redbone

• Not technically MCU, but at the very least MCU adjacent.

I watched the first season of Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur on D+ and it's great! Easily the best Marvel animated anything in a long while. Very charming and likable characters, tons of style in both visuals and animation, the soundtrack is a big ear worm, the voice acting's fantastic (especially Diamond White as Moon Girl and Laurence Fishburne as his respective characters), and it cleverly tackles a number of social issues without feeling overly preachy. It's like Proud Family but if the characters weren't massive jerks. It is overall an episode series, but there are overarching themes and stories that carry over that culminate into a wonderful two part season finale.

The worst thing I can say is that Devil Dinosaur, despite being a titular character, feels a little underused. There are a handful of episodes were he's just kind of there, not really adding anything to the plot. It got renewed before the series even premiered so hopefully they even out the screentime in the second season.

I absolutely adore this show and I hope that it gets renewed for however long Laurence Fishburne (who was the driving force behind the shows inception) wants it go on.

• I watched the first season of Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur on D+ and it's great!

Smh I've been hearing people in the USA get this show weekly for the past month and everyone loves it...
    And it's still not up here in Canada!!

Cool that it's enjoyable though and I didn't know Lawrence Fishburne was such a big part of it!

Not technically MCU, but at the very least MCU adjacent. I watched the first season of Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur on D+ and it's great!

• edited April 2023

I rewatched the first two Guardians movies in the past 2 weeks in anticipation of the third film coming very soon.
    They hold up really well as a special, self-contained part of the MCU I'd say.

The first film I haven't seen much and it's been a long while since I've seen it. It's a lot darker and grittier in tone than I remembered it to be -- and especially compared to the sequel.
    People get knocked out HARD, fights look pretty brutal, the violence just seems darker... Ronan the bad guy is very ominous, foreboding, violent. He caves in some guy's head (off-camera) for a blood ritual thing.
    The colour palette overall is also pretty dark and muted too. The opening scene, the prison, the Kree ship, even Knowhere are all pretty dank-looking.
    It's a great film though of this band of misfits who have to learn to tolerate each other after being forced into a group over a heavy bounty. While there's a great overarching narrative about a peace treaty between the Kree and Xandarian people (and Ronan who despises this truce) the general plot is a little basic, typical "evil bad guy wants to destroy everything/become super powerful, heroes must band together and stop him"

The sequel is where James Gunn really spins it into his own style, tons of jokes bouncing off characters left and right, some pretty ridiculous stuff, and a very personal, emotional core to the story. (kinda reminds me of how Thor 4: L&T leaned even further into comedy territory - but I don't remember Gunn getting as much hate for this as Taika did for his film. Weird.)
    It's a lot lighter in tone and colour pallette too. They show this off especially when they arrive on Ego's planet. Baby Groot offers some adorable moments of levity in all the action, and some fun jokes with the whole group having to protect him or deal with his infantile antics in one scene or another.
    I especially love the plot to this film, with how it lets the characters bond in wholly new emotional ways. Peter reconnecting with his Dad, Gamora and Nebula hashing out their sibling rivalry, Rocket and Yondu bonding over childhood trauma, Drax and Mantis becoming friends (in their own really weird way). It has a great sense of "found family" cohesion and offers plenty of deep, emotional moments to go against the multitude of jokes.

I'm very excited for the third film, hope to see it sometime next week. Very glad that we'll be delving into Rocket's backstory, since they've only teased it a few times and he's such an enigmatic character for someone with such jerkish, asshole-ish behaviour (with some sort of emotional compass on the inside)...
    Also there's some similar moments and "running jokes" I think I noticed that I hope to see continue in the next film. Someone always manages to crash a spaceship into the big bad guy, everyone always has a new animal nickname for Rocket (though Vol. 2 kinda makes it its own long running joke), Peter has some big "legend" about a famous actor/musician/character from Earth, Howard the Duck appears at some point.
    Ooh also Michelle Yeoh plays some character I don't know for like 10 seconds at the end of the movie, wow wow wow. (I think her, Sylvester Stallone, and some other characters are a reference to the OG comics Guardians group (along with Yondu) before they got rebooted into the current mix of characters James Gunn uses)

• I think Gunn balances the comedy much better than Taiks did in LaT. In Gotg2 theres a pretty lengthy part without a single joke from what I recall. Starting from

Rocket leaving Yondu the gear welcoming him to the guardians, to rocket taking off with the ship and Drax and Gamora fighting it, trying to save Peter, cutting to starlord killing ego, and then of course yondus death. Even after that, with the funeral, theres very few jokes until the post credits.

Its also just the franchise of Thor being all over the place mocie to movie. Its jarring, and it just went too far to the point of self-parody in LaT. In LaT, characters are just quirky for quirkiness sake. In gotg it feels earned because this is how the characters are. Drax will be funny because so hes so literal. Starlord is a quirky character too, but he always was.

I also think ragnarok balances it way better in the third act, similar to how gotg vol2 did it.

I rewatched the first two Guardians movies in the past 2 weeks in anticipation of the third film coming very soon. They hold up really wel

• First movie was just under 2 hours, this is great news. Gimme moooore

https://twitter.com/SolaceCinema/status/1653367280795877376

• Next week I'm probably gonna die of cuteness and sadness

(AMAZING animation test-footage of the unfortunate critters in GOTG3)

• Wow that is actually really adorable! Also hot damn I think that's the best Marvel CG since Thanos. They straight up look real!

Next week I'm probably gonna die of cuteness and sadness (AMAZING animation test-footage of the unfortunate critters in GOTG3) (Spoiler)

Sign in to comment in this discussion.