How are they delaying TWAU2 but are releasing The Expanse?

edited March 2023 in General Chat

The only explanation is that it is much easier with the help of Deck Nine. I even saw a comment thinking this game could even get canceled eventually. But nothing makes sense because...

The Expanse game is literally making 0 noise, the trailer views are much lower than Wolf 2. It makes no sense to comercially focus more on this game than Wolf. It literally is just a bad business decision. If they somehow think The Expanse can make more money than Wolf 2, they are delusionals.

Comments

• edited March 2023

Completely different development teams. Ad-hoc Games are working on Wolf 2 while Deck Nine are making The Expanse. The NEW Telltale isn't (atm at least) a developer, but a studio that contracts development studios for their games.

• edited March 2023

There is overlap between dev teams and Telltale is a developer, they aren't strictly people funding other studios. AdHoc has their own developers and so does Telltale. The main difference is Deck Nine is far more established as a studio and has far more employees than Telltale and AdHoc. Telltale today is seemingly a mix of dev team and contracting with other studios. When it does come to business though, I really hope Telltale manages to get more people interested in Expanse because numbers wise, it is very noticeably low and it is a bit worrisome thinking what happens next if it bombs.

Completely different development teams. Ad-hoc Games are working on Wolf 2 while Deck Nine are making The Expanse. The NEW Telltale isn't (atm at least) a developer, but a studio that contracts development studios for their games.

• Hopefully after The Expanse is out it becomes more clear who developed what. Weirdly looking forward to the credits for once.

Poogers555 posted: »

There is overlap between dev teams and Telltale is a developer, they aren't strictly people funding other studios. AdHoc has their own devel

• I will say what I think the problem with The Expanse is: No one knows anything about it. I have not seen one commercial for the show, the game trailer when announced explained nothing other than something goes wrong on a ship in space. Like that’s nothing original. Are there aliens? Is there a good side and evil side like Star Wars? Is there anything at all we as players who have never seen this series should look forward to other than “Hey Telltale and Deck Nine are collaborating?” That is not how you release a trailer graphically it looks okay. But The Wolf Among Us 1 at least showed in the trailers that okay it’s going to be a detective mystery with some fairy tale twist thrown in.

• Well I read that Telltale received some extra funding for future games. However if it fails to meet sales expectations you can bet that their next game TWAU2 will need to surpass the sales expectations which I believe it can because it has a dedicated fan base.

There is overlap between dev teams and Telltale is a developer, they aren't strictly people funding other studios. AdHoc has their own devel

• It is interesting seeing how they just announced they got new investor funding like less than 2 weeks ago.

Also in reply to your other comment, I have to agree. They are really not doing a good job with introducing The Expanse, comes off like they expect everyone to be caught up even if you have no idea what Expanse is.

Although I will say Wolf 1's first trailer/Episode 1 trailer isnt great either. Super vague and is much more focused on accolades and saying "This is the game after Walking Dead!!!"

Well I read that Telltale received some extra funding for future games. However if it fails to meet sales expectations you can bet that thei

• edited March 2023

Agreed about the Wolf Among Us trailer but the accolades made people say ok let’s see how they handle this series. Deck Nines True Colors was a bit of a bore for me. Because some scenes dragged does anyone remember that LARP scene? Now before anyone thinks I am bashing on Deck Nine, I am not loved Before the Storm it served as a good prequel to the original.

Also The Walking Dead game came out in 2012 when the show finally became this huge thing and people were going crazy about it. When you literally could slap the name The Walking Dead on anything and people would buy it and zombies are always easier to pique the interest of someone. The Expanse unfortunately is not something that has the viewership from what I can tell and picking this series to make a game on was not a good choice in my eyes. Literally they should’ve just made a game on a crime/mystery series. Like Peaky Blinders or White Collar would’ve been better and easier to market.

It is interesting seeing how they just announced they got new investor funding like less than 2 weeks ago. Also in reply to your other co

• The Expanse TV Show is already not that popular, so I don't expect this game to be either.

It is interesting seeing how they just announced they got new investor funding like less than 2 weeks ago. Also in reply to your other co

• Agreed on the Wolf Among Us trailer, but the praise made people say, ok, let's see how they handle this series.True Colors by Deck Nine was a letdown for me. Does anyone remember the LARP scene because some scenes dragged? Before anyone gets the wrong impression, I am not well-liked on Deck Nine. Before the Storm was an excellent prequel to the original.

• edited March 2023

I do that game was just so fast(game's length was a joke) when I truly began to care for characters like Ducky or Steff the whole plot was already minutes away from ending, the delivering was a far call from the original LIS and the prequel-and the plot twist specially predictable and generic-(LIS2 was also a big disapointment for me that time the whole cast was even worse than True colours).

Regarding The Expanse as a phenomenon it is easy to see how it is not like GoT or TWD when Telltale picked them up, it is a established saga of novelas with a decent TV adaptation but really if you go around asking on the street few to none actually know what you are talking about, it is a risky move and one that I can personally support as a reader of the series(the novels are a delight) but indeed that The Walking Dead Telltale's max opus is releasing after the new project is a little mind boggling.

Guess releasing The Expanse first is one of the moves forced upon them after receiving that renewed investment, I just find interesting that Bruner and his cronies are working on a Star Trek Resurgence(that releases on April) and Telltale is bringing us another space based visual novel is like ironically even if their ways parted they are still going for similar content(and probably the traditional Telltale choice system formula).

Sign in to comment in this discussion.