Problems the first The Wolf Among Us had (and hopefully TWAU2 fixes)

So, huh, new fan here, I got the game last week and finished it in three days, during the first 3 episodes I was fascinated by the storytelling, characters and world building of the game, I loved Bigby and Snow slowly solving the case and discovering more about them.

After mid-episode 4 I kinda felt the story got rushed, the crooked man didn't feel like a real villain at all, to the point that Bloody Mary felt more like the real villain of the story (I really would've loved if Bloody Mary was the one behind the murders), and the trial scene felt a bit... awkward, most of my choices didn't affect to what the people of fabletown say or do at the end and I would've liked an interaction with Snow at the end.
Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think it's necessarily a bad ending, I think it has some clever moments that I liked a lot like the fight with Mary and the ending with Nerissa, I just felt like the last ep was below the level of writing of the previous episodes.

but, we're getting the second game soon so here's some things I'm expecting new TellTale to improve with the storytelling:
Although I believe the last scene with Nerissa was a smart way to end the first game, I think it should be irrelevant to the story of the second game, maybe it should get mentioned, but not be what drives the story (according to what we know about the story, it won't be like that, but who knows).
Last thing is the connection to the comics, the problem with season 1 finale was that writers had to force the story to connect with the comics, so I hope the writers decided to not make the second game canon to the comics, which would result in more freedom to give the game a proper ending.

that's all I have to say, random thoughts that I wanted to get out of my head, please don't glass me lol.

Comments

• edited April 2023

Hey glad to hear you enjoyed The Wolf Among Us Season 1! I agree that episode 4 did feel a bit rushed and there were a lot of plot holes that the first season kind of glazed over. Such as: Who was the guy who called Beauty and Beast on the phone? We never hear anyone who sounds like that or even see anyone like that during Bigby’s meeting with the Crooked Man.
    However the majority of the story was very well written and the voice actors did an excellent job performing them.
    Also I won’t expect Season 2 to be non canon from the comics since I read the Bill Willingham aka the comic writer is working with Telltales writing staff which is not a bad thing I mean Bigby has three more chase sequences he can have in the second season before they break canon lol 😂!

• 100% agree, the story was great, and well, if Bill is working with the writing staff that could be good to end the story on a high note without breaking the canon, I can't wait to see what they have been doing.

• I would say it’s good but I think he is helping them because they had canonical issues in Season 1 causing a lot rewrites from FableTown being discovered by the detective and stuff of that nature.

Dani_hwk posted: »

100% agree, the story was great, and well, if Bill is working with the writing staff that could be good to end the story on a high note without breaking the canon, I can't wait to see what they have been doing.

• crazy, in that case, making it non canon to the comics (like TWD did) would've been the best option, but I guess they can't go back now.

• I'm looking forward to the sequel. I'm currently looking at InColdBlood's content regarding unused and cut content Wolf Among Us had. I'm interested to see what will happen in the sequel... if choices do matter, I do hope the options broaden up by a lot.

• The Walking Dead game is canon to the comics however it just takes place with different characters and such.

Dani_hwk posted: »

crazy, in that case, making it non canon to the comics (like TWD did) would've been the best option, but I guess they can't go back now.

• hmm, weird, I thought TWD wasn't canon to the comics, but yeah, develops its story in a different scenario

• edited July 2023

I agree with you,my main concern is the impact of player choices on the narrative. In the first game, I was disappointed to find that many of my choices didn't significantly affect the outcome or the reactions of the characters. I hope that the second game takes a more dynamic approach,just like this site changes the approach to the study in general https://studydriver.com It helps with a lot of essays,assignments and not only life changing decisions like we had in the wolf among us! he he where our decisions genuinely shape the story and have meaningful consequences. It would add a layer of depth and replayability to the game. :)

Sign in to comment in this discussion.