The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• I have not received Spider-Man 2 yet... Nor have I received a shipping email...

Damn you Shopville!!

• edited October 2023

My game arrived and the disk has a scratch on it, preventing it to download past 30gb. Just my fucking luck.

EDIT: I got a response from the company that sent me the game and said they will replace the game with zero charges. Awesome!

AChicken posted: »

I have not received Spider-Man 2 yet... Nor have I received a shipping email... Damn you Shopville!!

• I don't think they really try it again until episode 5 where the "confusion" happens between the 2 but that will always be the weakest part of Tales.

Yeah, Fiona's reason for being mad is especially dumb if you didn't choose to rule Hyperion lol.

After all the rewriting whatever the original problem Rhys and Fiona would have was obviously long gone and forgotten about.

Tbh I don't think they had a concrete idea about why Rhys and Fiona were mad at each other while writing the first episode. It was probably more in the ballpark of "we'll figure it out later". Same with Stranger - iirc his identity wasn't set in stone until much later.

Poogers555 posted: »

Yeah I wish Tales had more chances to do what you just said. It was really cool seeing what was really happening once we saw Fiona's perspec

• edited October 2023

Damn that sucks. I thought bluray discs were pretty scratch-proof. At least they'll replace it free though, nice!

AronDracula posted: »

My game arrived and the disk has a scratch on it, preventing it to download past 30gb. Just my fucking luck. EDIT: I got a response from the company that sent me the game and said they will replace the game with zero charges. Awesome!

• edited October 2023

The original reason they were mad at each other had to do with the crashed Hyperion ship in episode 4. A lot of the stuff in the files suggest this as that location was going to be far more important and originally it seemed the plan was for each location you visit in the future was to be a place you visited in the past. From what I could find it would imply that Rhys and Fiona have some kind of falling out that could have been why the ship crashed. Plus one original opening Rhys basically confirms that episode 5 title screen was more accurate and they did actually try to kill each other. (So good thing they didn't write themselves into that corner lol.) So it seems the idea was the crashed ship location was where this fight would have happened. I also think episode 4 was meant to take place on the massive Hyperion ship rather than Helios.

Kind of impossible to guess what the event would have been because I am pretty sure they all knew it would change. The final intro we ended up getting I remember had a date that was super close to the episode launch so I guess someone decided that the intro gave away way too much information or things they didn't know they wanted to stick with. At one point the Stranger just straight up tells you to fix the Gortys robot and Rhys and Fiona had way more cryptic hints about the future. but I think they ended up avoiding it to not limit themselves. Pretty sure Rhys had some kind of dialogue in episode 2 future segments saying he thought Gortys was annoying for example.

Also forgot to mention but this is just a theory with not much to really back it up but it is possible there was an idea that there was going to be some kind of twist revealing Rhys and Fiona were actually conning the Stranger the whole time. So pretending to be mad purposely being captured, also explained the matching outfits. Although like I said that was something I started thinking about after reading a lot of the unused stuff and how at one point the Stranger was playable, so it made me realize that may have been an idea they floated.

Pipas posted: »

I don't think they really try it again until episode 5 where the "confusion" happens between the 2 but that will always be the weakest part

• Now that is officially 1 year since New Tales I just wanted to mention that I still really enjoy this video. Pretty glad to see a bigger youtuber who easily understood people's problems with this game and was very aware of even the smaller details. Everything said is pretty much everything I would say.

Now will Gearbox use this resource and improve for next time? The answer is no but it is nice to dream.

• Wolf 2 trailer during these trying times

• My replacement copy of Spider-Man 2 has finally arrived and it downloads a lot faster. I knew someone screwed up the original disc.

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited October 2023

Interesting; I was not fair with that, but it makes sense: the crashed ship had some assets associated with it and we spent some time there. Could that ship been how they were to originally escape Helios? Perhaps the ship's crash was also a source of the fighting?

It probably speaks to the wisdom of the writing staff to not write themselves into corners. As @Pipas was saying, vagueness was key to allowing them to 1) have more time to think about plot points and character beats, 2) have more time to focus on the actual episode, and 3) take player feedback into consideration.

Pretty sure Rhys had some kind of dialogue in episode 2 future segments saying he thought Gortys was annoying for example.

Would have been funny if they moved that to Episode 3, and the future line of dialogue happened immediately after a past dialogue choice from Rhys where the player could express his annoyance at Gortys ("Go away, small robot"). If Tales were redone, I think the writers would have emphasized a stronger continuity between your past choices and the future dialogue; in the released version, there isn't that much variation outside a few choices.

The original reason they were mad at each other had to do with the crashed Hyperion ship in episode 4. A lot of the stuff in the files sugge

• Yes, either this was how we were to escape Helios or the ship was going to be the entire location. The ship based on the really old episode select screens was huge so it was possible that was the entire location as this was before they knew if they would be able to destroy Helios or not. If I had to guess the ship was going to crash due to some sort of conflict between Rhys and Fiona and I also assume Jack. Then at the crash site they would have fought each other. Also just for clarity it is entirely possible this was not the original idea at all and its mashing up a bunch of separate things that if they were to happen wouldn't be included with the other. But the to best of my understanding this was at one point the general outline.

Yeah I 100% agree. If the whole game could be finished I bet they'd have a ton of fun with future segments. Episode 1 you were at Shade's place and episode 2 has the scene where they arrived at the Gortys Facility. So I assume episode 3 would be returning to the Dome? Then episode 4 is back to the Hyperion crash site which ironically was the original episode 1 future location. Anyway because they themselves had no idea if something was going to change I think they knew it would really suck to either write for something they don't like as much anymore or find a way to retcon it. This is probably why the next times also changed for Tales to be less about showing upcoming ideas. The funny thing about that is how the episode 1 next time is actually really accurate to what the original episode was going to be.

I wish Tales from the Borderlands 2 was real.

Interesting; I was not fair with that, but it makes sense: the crashed ship had some assets associated with it and we spent some time there.

• edited October 2023

Oh my God I've been looking for this stupid ass Nickelodeon short for years! It used to pop up every so often on the channel when I was a kid. It was considered lost media for the longest time and I gave up my search for it a little over a year ago, but today I got curious and went looking again in the unlikely event it actually gets found, and it turns out someone actually uploaded it like a few months after I gave up looking lmao.

• Dee during Wolf ep 1 chase scene

• If Tales were redone, I think the writers would have emphasized a stronger continuity between your past choices and the future dialogue; in the released version, there isn't that much variation outside a few choices.

Man, that'd be the dream..

In hindsight, the whole in-medias-res/future hostages plotline could have had way better callbacks and jokes to fit the "past" events that the pair were retelling. It did its job and I enjoyed it, but yeah, had the writing been a little more self-referential and the Telltale Tool could handle quick jump-cuts like that, they could have played around with some really funny jokes.

Episode 1's whole "Rhys' Wild Deal gets interrupted by Fiona's 'Wait, that's definitely not how it happened'" and then you get to replay the events leading to it from her perspective is probably my most memorable moment of TFTB, alongside the Episode 2 cliffhanger and resolution lmaooo because that was an iconic wait.

It's incredibly rare for TTG to have done this, but they did a similar thing in GOTG where in Episode 3, you play a Gamora flashback, and your dialogue choices are recorded, and played back for you later once you revisit that flashback with more context from Nebula to learn her side of the story... That made me so happy.

Interesting; I was not fair with that, but it makes sense: the crashed ship had some assets associated with it and we spent some time there.

• Huh...

While interesting, it's probably for the better they didn't go with that version. If Rhys and Fiona would try to literally kill each other, that relationship would probably be impossible to mend and we wouldn't get such a wholesome ending lel. But I like the idea of them conning the Stranger.

The original reason they were mad at each other had to do with the crashed Hyperion ship in episode 4. A lot of the stuff in the files sugge

• Bigby seeing Nerissa naked vs Crooked Man seeing Bigby naked

• Contacted my retailer I ordered SM2 from... Just as I thought, they haven't received their shipment from their supplier yet, so that's why there's a delay.

Dang. Welp, the wait continues.
    Let's see what shows up first. This, or Driveclub next week.
    Yeah, I impulse-bought a copy off ebay for cheap last night after finding some interesting retrospectives on the game.

Sure, it's a bit of a shell of it's former self now, but what's there is still good according to fans.
    I'm sad I somehow never looked into this game past the title... it's made by the same devs behind MotorStorm! I loved that series! How'd I miss this?!

• Dave Fennoy managed to break my heart TWICE now!

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited October 2023

I quite enjoy Fiona's choice to explain how the deal went south, especially since every option is actually true. More stuff like that would have been great. Imagine as Fiona you could write some graffiti (your choice) and it could appear in the future episode, only faded. Lot of joke potential.

Episode 1's whole "Rhys' Wild Deal gets interrupted by Fiona's 'Wait, that's definitely not how it happened'" and then you get to replay the events leading to it from her perspective is probably my most memorable moment of TFTB, alongside the Episode 2 cliffhanger and resolution lmaooo because that was an iconic wait.

Obligatory:

If Tales were redone, I think the writers would have emphasized a stronger continuity between your past choices and the future dialogue; in

• When you brought it up, my mind immediately jumped to this interaction.

IT'S SUCH A LEGENDARY SCENE.
    Still can't believe the stacked cast they got for this game!

I quite enjoy Fiona's choice to explain how the deal went south, especially since every option is actually true. More stuff like that would

• I can't believe it. Alan Wake 2 is real.
    The pre-loads have started!!

80GB of Remedy goodness are being installed on my console omgggg 🥰🥰

• I'm also pre-loading it. Man I can't wait.

Although, I gotta say. Aren't the reviews releasing a day before launch sort of a red flag? I just hope they're good.

I can't believe it. Alan Wake 2 is real. The pre-loads have started!! 80GB of Remedy goodness are being installed on my console omgggg 🥰🥰

• LOL I've been seeing that sentiment a lot lately, I wonder why...

No, I don't think that should be a red flag. It's probably just so they can get as much distance from Spider-Man 2's reviews and hype, and if the big reviews end up being really good, it could drive some last-minute impulse purchases, which is probably what they're counting on!

I don't have the link, but someone on the Remedy subreddit posted one to a GTA V forum thread from 10 years ago, talking about this exact thing "ohh no, the reviews come out a day before launch? Huge red flag, rockstar is gonna fail.".... and then lmao it was definitely not a fail. :blush:

I'm also pre-loading it. Man I can't wait. Although, I gotta say. Aren't the reviews releasing a day before launch sort of a red flag? I just hope they're good.

• My retailer has finally shipped Spider-Man 2 oh my GOOOOD...

Their Standard Shipping estimates put it at 6-20 days (yikes) and Canada Post's estimates put it at Thurs. Nov. 2nd delivery.

Guess I've got to now juggle avoiding spoilers for Alan Wake AND Spider-Man 2! GAH!

• Point out Telltale stopped tweeting after layoff news broke

Telltale tweets the next day

...Then goes back to not tweeting again

• Alan Wake 2 Reviews are Positive. Thank Goodness

• Holy fuck.

Gonna stay up till midnight tonight for sure, play the first 30 mins or so, then! WOOOO

Alan Wake 2 Reviews are Positive. Thank Goodness https://twitter.com/Okami13_/status/1717528516462350470

• Aha, classic Telltale. This gif is relevant once again.

Point out Telltale stopped tweeting after layoff news broke Telltale tweets the next day ...Then goes back to not tweeting again

• All these people talking about Alan Wake 2 and seeing the reviews for it makes me at least want to check it out. I remember being intrigued enough by the story to want to know what happens next. Then I think back to the first game, and I just cannot put myself through that agonizing gameplay again. Shine light here, now shoot enemy. Shine light there, now shoot this enemy. Collect manuscripts and coffee. Rinse and repeat across 6 parts. I think there were some bonus episodes or something, and I didn't play it because I just didn't want to anymore after completing the final episode. Is there at least better variety/more interesting gameplay in this sequel, or is it just more of the same?

• Shine light here, now shoot enemy. Shine light there, now shoot this enemy. Collect manuscripts and coffee. Rinse and repeat across 6 parts.

Totally agree about that being tedious. When I played the Remastered version a few years ago, I quickly remembered why the only thing I remembered about the first game was its story and cutscenes and very little about the gameplay.

I haven't gotten as far as the first combat sequence yet in 2, but the gameplay should be more diverse and less endlessly repetitive this time around...
    The game's style is heavily inspired by the Resident Evil series and other classic survival-horror hallmarks. There will apparently be much less combat sequences, and if they do occur, it's against just one or two enemies rather than wakes of 5 being thrown at you.

One portion of the campaign sees you play as a detective, where there'll be multiple Main cases and Side cases to uncover, clues to find along the way, and you can piece together these mysteries by linking relevant clues to their relevant questions on an interactive Case Board.

the other portion is Alan Wake's and his will feature more danger (I think) but also some puzzle sequences where you have to change the environment by shifting around pieces on your Plot Board, so you can uncover some secret or way to progress.

I haven't checked out many of the reviews, but if the scores are as high as they are, I'm pretty sure the gameplay being repetitive is not an issue for most this time... Fingers crossed, I'm just speculating based on marketing and interviews!

All these people talking about Alan Wake 2 and seeing the reviews for it makes me at least want to check it out. I remember being intrigued

• I finished the first two chapters. It's slow at first but the game seems to be getting better. It doesn't feel as repetitive as the first game.

All these people talking about Alan Wake 2 and seeing the reviews for it makes me at least want to check it out. I remember being intrigued

• I don't know if the game is good or not, but I remember people here talking about the Blacksad game back when it released. Well, right now it's free on GOG!

I guess it's time to give it a try myself.

• Blacksad is pretty good! It is really unique although also really buggy when I played it so I hope they fixed some bugs. Probably a lot closer to a game like Telltale's Back to the Future rather than the later Telltale games and it has some really cool detective elements that I can see Wolf 2 adapting. Plus the world is a lot of fun. And for free I see no reason why a Telltale fan should pass it up.

Also the main menu music is top tier.

Pipas posted: »

I don't know if the game is good or not, but I remember people here talking about the Blacksad game back when it released. Well, right now it's free on GOG! I guess it's time to give it a try myself.

• Why the fuck do I find Saga placing evidence and clues on Case Board so satisfying in Alan Wake 2? This stuff sounds boring AF from a concept perspective but when I do that part, I find myself oddly enjoying it. I don't understand how they managed to make it work.

This bring me to an idea. I doubt that's gonna happen but I wish The Wolf Among Us 2 could use this feature to make Bigby's new cases more intriguing.

• I know right? It's a pretty simple system overall, but it's just so fun to capture that vibe of linking evidence and questions about the weird things that keep unfolding...

Why the fuck do I find Saga placing evidence and clues on Case Board so satisfying in Alan Wake 2? This stuff sounds boring AF from a concep

• Tales from the Borderlands Episode 3 at around 18 minutes and 30 seconds

• You needed lesson number 1: humility.

Tales from the Borderlands Episode 3 at around 18 minutes and 30 seconds

• "I know Vasquez was one of the antagonist but I am a bit disappointed they got rid of him so soon. I feel like there was so much more they could have done with him."

Episode 4 basically being the Vasquez special

You needed lesson number 1: humility.

• As a big fan of mystery games, case boards are always satisfying.

Why the fuck do I find Saga placing evidence and clues on Case Board so satisfying in Alan Wake 2? This stuff sounds boring AF from a concep

• edited October 2023

Wolf 2 developers explaining why the shirtless bigby model that has 900 million more polygons than the clothed model as well as the 5 minute qte segment of bigby doing pull ups in his shitty apartment's kitchen door frame was a key moment to reflect bigbys complex character arc this season

• Me when I replay The Wolf Among Us and L.A. Noire, both detective-based games, and I realize, after playing Alan Wake 2, these two games do not have a Case Board feature.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.