The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• I assume this is about the Wile E. Coyote movie. I can't imagine James Gunn is too happy about that considering he co-wrote and produced it as well.

AChicken posted: »

Fuckin' David Zaslav... Jeez, man...

• So fun fact about ol' InGen. I'm not sure I could tell you a single thing about Alan Wake. It's like a ghost detective thing right? Or is that Silent Hill? I could tell you a few things about Silent Hill, you know, they got that pyramid head looking guy and there's the town in Pennsylvania and his wife. It's not that I am not familiar with Alan Wake --- oh yeah, I know it's a game and it's popular that may or may not be associated with David Lynch unless that's Heavy Rain or Silent Hill --- but that's about it.

• edited November 2023

It is and I'm so sad that he's become such a greedy jerk about potentially big crowd-pleaser movies lately. For... fucking tax write-offs.

Batgirl. Big original DC movie, finished production, on to editing. Axed, vaulted, reportedly removed from their servers.

A Scooby-Doo animated Christmas film. 90% complete animating. Project axed and incomplete.

Coyote Vs. ACME. Big Looney Tunes film featuring the Coyote and Roadrunner, iconic rivalry. A live-action/2D Animation hybrid compared to the Roger Rabbit movie (and reportedly actually 2D unlike the Tom & Jerry stylized CGI of 2 years ago) produced and starring John Cena. Produced and written by James Gunn. Very high test audience scores against other WB projects right now.

And it's being killed for a tax write-off. Tossed in the vault. Never to be seen again. Not sold to (despite interested) third-parties. Absolute and total artistic sabotage...

Look upon the hard work of an entire crew and weep... :confounded:

lupinb0y posted: »

I assume this is about the Wile E. Coyote movie. I can't imagine James Gunn is too happy about that considering he co-wrote and produced it as well.

• If Konami fucks up Silent Hill 2 remake, then I'll just consider Alan Wake 2 to be the closest thing for a modern Silent Hill game.

So fun fact about ol' InGen. I'm not sure I could tell you a single thing about Alan Wake. It's like a ghost detective thing right? Or is th

• At this point, WB makes.....well, the actual Warner Brothers roll on their graves for how far their studio has gone downhill.

It is and I'm so sad that he's become such a greedy jerk about potentially big crowd-pleaser movies lately. For... fucking tax write-offs.

• Nope, not a ghost detective. The first Alan Wake is about a writer who, after killing off his main character in a popular book series to start something new is suffering from writers block and heads to a quirky small town named Bright Falls with his wife for a vacation. After getting in a fight with her she ends up getting dragged into the lake and after attempting to rescue her it smash cuts to several days later in which Alan keeps finding pages to a manuscript he apparently wrote, and the things written on them come true. Alan... has no memory of writing this or why they're coming true, cue mystery as he has to fight through hordes of people weak to the light.

So fun fact about ol' InGen. I'm not sure I could tell you a single thing about Alan Wake. It's like a ghost detective thing right? Or is th

• edited November 2023

@AronDracula If you want to see all the raw live-action footage shot for Herald of Darkness, someone put together the song and most of the videos from the game itself into its own little music video!

Cool to see that live-action stuff on your own screen rather than projected digitally!

• Already seen it but amazing

@AronDracula If you want to see all the raw live-action footage shot for Herald of Darkness, someone put together the song and most of the v

• What the hell, Netflix released a new adult animated series that looks fuckin' awesome but barely advertised it.

• Ooh, looks really interesting!

I'll finish up the Captain Lazerhawk series (very fun, wacky mix of Ubisoft IP!) first then probably jump into this. Had no idea of its existence.

What the hell, Netflix released a new adult animated series that looks fuckin' awesome but barely advertised it.

• Ooh, by the way, an album of all the Old Gods songs comes out December 8 on CD, Vinyl, and music streaming.

TGA's are a day before on Dec. 7th. I really hope Geoff is smart enough to want the Gods/Poets perform at their show to net them both good publicity for the album launch the next day...

Aw man, this is like the first and only time I'm so interested and invested in a Game Awards live performance. AAHH 🤤

AronDracula posted: »

Already seen it but amazing

• Oh yeah, a writer and a quirky small town. I might have known that. The rest? That's gnarly. Quite gnarly. Seems interesting.

dojo32161 posted: »

Nope, not a ghost detective. The first Alan Wake is about a writer who, after killing off his main character in a popular book series to sta

• Now that the game awards nominees are out, who will the bold one to create the game awards thread this year where their inbox will be spammed with us complaining about the amount of ads as we all wait for the specific ad that we care about?

Dojo:

• I will also start the game awards complaining things with one being Dave the Diver isn't an indie game lmao. Honestly feel like that category has been kind of messy because I think there are pretty big differences between indie games that are made by 1 to 3 people and then "indie games" with 30 people and the backing of billion dollar companies.

• There's some good news! WB is in the process of reversing their axe of the movie and instead shopping it around to other studios. They're setting up a screening for streaming platforms (Netflix, Apple, and Amazon). It seems like Amazon is currently the most likely candidate.

• Holy shit, good! I guess the massive fan movement I've seen on social media's so far is working.

I'm sure I read that they originally had no interest in shopping it out to other companies and opted to go straight to a "vault it forever" option.

At least they won't need to spend anything on marketing now I guess.

WTF were you thinking, WB??

There's some good news! WB is in the process of reversing their axe of the movie and instead shopping it around to other studios. They're se

• edited November 2023

I'll also continue the game awards discussion by saying that IDK why I've seen a lot of discourse from people that "Resident Evil 4 Remake" doesn't deserve to be nominated.

I've only played RE2 but even I can tell that what Capcom is doing is reimagining the entire original game into something different.

It's got a similar structure and design of its levels, but especially for RE4 I've heard nothing but praise in how it took elements from the original and did its own spin on things.
    Like, it has a totally different gameplay style.

This ain't like The Last of Us Part 1's shot-for-shot remake. Now that one is clearly unworthy given how much is basically ported over from the original's design anyway.

Poogers555 posted: »

I will also start the game awards complaining things with one being Dave the Diver isn't an indie game lmao. Honestly feel like that categor

• edited November 2023

This has been the best year for gaming in my opinion. This is the very first time I bought 5 new games at full price and I was not disappointed. This is my ranking of what I played so far:

1. Alan Wake 2
    2. Resident Evil 4 Remake
    3. Spider-Man 2
    4. Dead Space Remake
    5. Amnesia The Bunker

I still have yet to buy and play Jedi Survivor and Final Fantasy 16 but I'll probably save them for the next year. I don't believe any of the first 3 is gonna win though. I think Baldur's Gate 3 is gonna take the crown even if I never played it.

• Half the reason I'm glad Alan Wake 2 is nominated is for the musical performance it'll get onstage.

• Fuck yeah. There is absolutely no reason to miss this opportunity.

dojo32161 posted: »

Half the reason I'm glad Alan Wake 2 is nominated is for the musical performance it'll get onstage.

• Finished Alan Wake 2. I really like the characters world and the presentation but I got to be honest fellas. I think the actual gameplay really bad. I also had a ridiculous amount of glitches that were far more than just "oh that's silly" but instead were actively ruining the game.

One thing I really did not like was visibility. I couldn't see anything in this game. I cranked up brightness to 100 and I still found it way too dark. That plus the nonstop distortion effects everywhere and on top of enemies and a poor camera I found really not fun because I had no idea what was happening. The flashlight also was annoying to aim because if you aren't already aiming with a weapon you do it pretty blindly and then for whatever reason the flashlight purposely slides off center and for how perfect you have to be sometimes I found that to be very annoying. In general I feel there was way too much empty space where you don't encounter things and for how long they make you walk sometimes they really should have boosted your speed.

Also I think game awards are lame for not doing a double nomination for live action and voice over Alan as one. I'd even accept just the live action guy. To me it felt like the obvious choice and winner but I guess they refuse to do anything that may slightly complicate things.

But yeah I think I just wished the gameplay felt more polished. A lot of the time I feel like this game would have been better had it simply stuck to focusing on being a story game because I found the story stuff to be the best but was not having fun actually playing it.

• It may not have the most polished gameplay but it helped me feel like I was experiencing survival horror. It made me realize how powerful I felt when playing Resident Evil 4. That game is more fun to play but that's only because it is very action packed and I didn't feel vulnerable in many occassions because it was throwing so much ammo at me. Does it actually deserve to be called the best Survival Horror game when I can easily outsmart every enemy?

This also reminds me of The Evil Within. I used to not like it at first due to how unpolished and cruel the gameplay was but after replaying it recently this year, it grew on me. It's still very flawed but I can have so much fun with it.

Finished Alan Wake 2. I really like the characters world and the presentation but I got to be honest fellas. I think the actual gameplay rea

• I think I'd have to disagree. Easiest comparison would be the Re 2 Remake and I feel like it handled the moment to moment gameplay a lot better. Better camera and clear visibility, shooting didn't feel super clunky but you still feel like you can't just take on everything. Also just much better with its level design. I'd have personally wished for this game to keep its weirdness but with the design of re2 remake for example.

I also really didn't find the game scary at all. It doesn't really feel like it tries to pull any scares either outside of the nonstop jump scares which never got me and also feel like the cheapest horror there is. Re4 remake I wouldn't say is scary either but I felt much more tense during the freezer fight than I did during this game.

It may not have the most polished gameplay but it helped me feel like I was experiencing survival horror. It made me realize how powerful I

• We still got legends out there 🫡 @AnimalBoy

• Yep that's Chris Pratt alright.

• Now I know I’m not active as much as I used to but this day is a complete shit show , now it’s kinda personal but the whole fiasco started at 3:14 in the morning😣

Story of my life.

Hopefully the problem I have get resolved because I wasn’t thinking dtraightvrather then acting with my emotions.

• Music of the Year, ladies and gentlemen!

• edited November 2023

WB Games gave me ALL the reasons to skip their ENTIRE library of future games. This is the end for DC gaming.

• I wonder when the Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse Remaster will release, they said it's coming this year, but the year itself is almost over and no word on when it'll drop. I imagine they'll drop a trailer for it a week or so before release, but the wait is just a tad difficult.

• This game has been a lot more harder to remaster due to it's size and the engine being different from the first two seasons. We'll either get a trailer sometime this week or the next one. Or they'll give us a trailer and the game in December.

I wonder when the Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse Remaster will release, they said it's coming this year, but the year itself is almost

• edited November 2023

https://x.com/gematsu/status/1725147696221106215?s=20

Mac Walters, head writer for the Mass Effect series, announced he is leading a new studio and has a new action adventure game already in development. Studio name is Worlds Untold.

Other employees include:
    Sotaro Tojima (audio director) – Has over 20 years of experience in video game audio on titles such as Metal Gear Solid and Halo

Elizabeth Lehtonen (head of production) – Has worked on the Dragon Age, The Sims, and Angry Birds franchises

Ramil Sunga (head of art) – Has more than two decades of creative experience in various concept art roles on Mass Effect Andromeda, Anthem, and the entire series of Dragon Age titles

Ben Goldstein (head of technology) – Has nearly two decades in the games industry leading projects such as the Xbox One version of Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, the PlayStation 4 version of For Honor, and most recently worked at Tesla and Cruise building out their respective simulation platforms

• Chris Pratt, Imagine Dragons and Denny’s the restaurant are the same aesthetic and don’t ask me why

Yep that's Chris Pratt alright.

• edited November 2023

I started Blue Eye Samurai. It's really good so far but... don't watch it in front of family lmao.

Very minor "spoiler" for episode 1

Also the end of the first episode has a teaser for the rest of the season that you should absolutely skip. It shows WAAAYYYYY too much of what's going to happen.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator
    edited November 2023

Finally, a good DLC character in the Jojo fighting game.

• The best culmination to the 'Alan WIck' memes 😂

• What game franchise is copying another game franchise by making more remasters than new games? Be my guest.

• edited November 2023

I know you are talking about Last of Us but I have no idea what the other series you are talking about is

What game franchise is copying another game franchise by making more remasters than new games? Be my guest.

• Watching that final behind the belt video where they say how they knew they need to make this game with a prequel character to focus more on the fates of the other characters to make players feel invested in them as they give everyone minimal screen time and dedicate an entire episode to "Do you think Drummer will die"

I get that the game is not super high budget and things can change all the time but it is always so weird to me whenever there are interviews and what is said contrasts so hard to what they actually ended up doing

• Here is a hint: a studio who can't count to 3

I know you are talking about Last of Us but I have no idea what the other series you are talking about is

• Also they said that the game is so short so that people were more likely to replay the game and see the different outcomes of choices, but from my only playthrough I can tell the choices barely change anything (aside from the Maya choice, the only significant choice in the game imo), so like what kind of an excuse is that.

Honestly, I think the overreliance on the motion capture might have been part of the reason why the scope of the game was so limited. Scheduling actors to perform their scenes together (and even some of the QTEs) couldn't have been easy, so maybe they tried to minimize the times that had to happen. Also, while the facial expressions in the game were solid, the QTEs always looked super clunky and lacked a punch, so I'm not even sure if it was worth it in the end.

Watching that final behind the belt video where they say how they knew they need to make this game with a prequel character to focus more on

Sign in to comment in this discussion.