Any more W&G?

edited January 2011 in Wallace & Gromit
Well, I'm probably one of many who came here for ToMI and stayed for just about everything else! :D I've purchased all the S&M titles as well as W&G.

I know that a new S&M is coming out (yay!) but I am guessing that there will be no more W&G? I know it's a bit on the easy side and probably aimed at people a quarter of my age, but I kind of liked it and would like to see more.

Anyone have any info on it? Is this series dead? Only one (short) season?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    I came here for ToMI too , and bought all S&M episodes and W&G. TTG are busy with Sam and Max Season 3 , and after that i think that they will start a second season of ToMI , so it will be a while...
  • edited March 2010
    KevinD872 wrote: »

Anyone have any info on it? Is this series dead? Only one (short) season?

Nah, Telltale won't leave this series, there's still a lot to do with it. Right now Telltale has "other" priorities to handle at the moment.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah I know they have other priorities, but I get the impression that W&G isn't a huge seller (I hope I'm wrong). I really liked the games and would like to see more. It seems like the W&G season was a bit short, which makes me feel a bit like they abandoned it (though not as much as Bone, which I admit didn't seem to interest me).
  • edited April 2010
    It was always planned to be a 4 episode season, so no it's not abandoned. However, I have no idea if they will do another. I hope it sold well enough to justify another, I love Wallace & Grommit almost as I love Sam & Max!
  • edited April 2010
    The episode count wasn't where they abandoned the series for shinier, more lucrative opportunities. That was the DVD.

It's obvious from the rushed, haphazard nature of the W&G DVD that it didn't perform as well as they hoped. Even during the series' own damn run, the upcoming Tales usurped its place obscenely fast. Bogey Man was only front page material for a day.

It's a shame, too. The games themselves are GREAT, some of the best adventures Telltale has done.
  • edited April 2010
    hi guyz
    i came here being told by my best friend that telltale games is really cool
    he has i think all of ToMI and he has all of S&M he has subscribed to the 3rd season
    he bought me all of W&G in a gift package it is awesome X D
    cant w8 till doctor who adventures in time comes out yay X D
  • edited April 2010
    It's obvious from the rushed, haphazard nature of the W&G DVD that it didn't perform as well as they hoped. Even during the series' own damn run, the upcoming Tales usurped its place obscenely fast. Bogey Man was only front page material for a day.

It was a risky venture - I wish it worked out, because I'd have loved to see more, but it's obviously not the case.

The DVD is a bit of shame, though - I personally liked the Cracking Contraptions collection in 720p, but there's hardly more to the disk...
  • edited April 2010
    I love the W&G series and feel it did a masterful job of capturing that universe and crafting games within it. I bought all four episodes on Xbox Live, full price, and felt it was money well spent. I'd be very, very disappointed if it was a one-and-done license. I want to spend more time with these characters!
  • edited May 2010
    The first season is very funny. I hope they do a second season. I would buy it first day (on the PC of course).
  • edited May 2010
    I've bought the first season at least 3 times over so far, so I certainly hope they do another season.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2010
    I loved the first season a lot. I actually liked it more than Tales of Monkey Island because they were so much like the films. :) Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures is the first time I played a movie-licensed game and actually felt like I was playing playable versions of the movies.
  • edited May 2010
    I'd purchase another season of Wallace & Gromit.

Much as I hate the "direct control" thing, I have to admit that Wallace & Gromit did manage to somehow justify it. All the other games "featuring" such "technological breakthrough" were a disgrace in that department.

So yeah... I'd instantly give away me money for another series.

Cheers!
  • edited May 2010
    Gertcha wrote: »
    Much as I hate the "direct control" thing, I have to admit that Wallace & Gromit did manage to somehow justify it. All the other games "featuring" such "technological breakthrough" were a disgrace in that department.

"No" they "weren't", "I" have no "idea" what you're "talking" about.
  • edited May 2010
    Well, Pale Man, while I don't think they've been a "disgrace" per se, I can certainly see how someone could think that Tales and Sam and Max have somewhat underutilized the benefits of direct control. It would be cool if level design was completely re-thought, but in a lot of places it feels like instead of being dropped into a world, we end up still acting out our parts on a stage/box with one wall torn down, but with the occasional odd camera angle.
  • edited May 2010
    The benefits of direct control for me include not having to pound the mouse button like a crazed chimp in order to walk across a panoramic scene.
  • edited May 2010
    True enough! However, the proponents of point and click ENJOY mashing the mouse button in order to cross a wide scene, so you have to appeal to them with benefits that involve things that absolutely CANNOT be done with point and click. Also, since Telltale is going about saying that the big advantage of control schemes like these is mainly cinematic, it doesn't seem unreasonable for the customer to then assume that they are going to back up those statements with a substantial cinematic benefit that is visible in the end-product.
  • edited May 2010
    True enough! However, the proponents of point and click ENJOY mashing the mouse button in order to cross a wide scene, so you have to appeal to them with benefits that involve things that absolutely CANNOT be done with point and click.

I agree. Left mouse button mashing is fun. Diablo, Titan Quest, Torchlight, amongst many others have one & only one appeal: the left button mashing 'till something's dead: the enemy on the screen, your character, your mouse, your tendons, or ultimately, you. And they've been highly successful.
    Also, since Telltale is going about saying that the big advantage of control schemes like these is mainly cinematic, it doesn't seem unreasonable for the customer to then assume that they are going to back up those statements with a substantial cinematic benefit that is visible in the end-product.

Ayup. Wallace & Gromit did feel just like watching a short film on TV. That's why I begrudgingly accepted the necessary change for it to happen. What REALLY ticked me & made me become extremely vocal - or in this case, typer - was Monkey Island having none of the benefits & all of the crap. Fer Gawd's sake, the "cinematic" angles were HORRIBLE! All those jerky motions... ugh.

I never had an enema before, but I bet it must be at least as awkward as those camera angles.

In short - I'm actually all for direct control if it's justified as it was in Wallace & Gromit AND I'd buy another series in a heartbeat.

Cheers!
  • edited May 2010
    I'd love to see another season as well. The latest movie, "A Matter of Loaf and Death", was a huge disappointment. The TTG game was much better story-wise, in my opinion.
  • edited May 2010
    Gertcha wrote: »
    I agree. Left mouse button mashing is fun. Diablo, Titan Quest, Torchlight, amongst many others have one & only one appeal: the left button mashing 'till something's dead: the enemy on the screen, your character, your mouse, your tendons, or ultimately, you. And they've been highly successful.

PS: You can hold down the left mouse button to continue attacking in every game you just mentioned. No need to pound your mouse into oblivion.
  • edited June 2010
    If I have said it once, then I have said it a million times... they NEED to make a season 2. Sure it isn't a billion seller, but looking at the posts here, it is safe to say it has it's fanbase. Hell.... W&G is the only reason I gave a damn about this company in the first place if that is any indication (& no.... I hadn't watched any of the movies or shorts before playing the game).
  • edited June 2010
    they NEED to make a season 2.

Don't have a heart attack or anything, but I agree with you 100%.
  • edited June 2010
    Series 2 isn't up to Telltale. And Aardman (or whatever) is making a fortune on Wallace and Gromit movies, but they are all low budget and are released 3-5 years apart. If they take that same attitude with the games, then I'd expect to be waiting for awhile.
  • edited July 2010
    Fury wrote: »
    Series 2 isn't up to Telltale. And Aardman (or whatever) is making a fortune on Wallace and Gromit movies, but they are all low budget and are released 3-5 years apart. If they take that same attitude with the games, then I'd expect to be waiting for awhile.

The timing factor here doesn't apply as Aardman needs every second between two movies (a whole day of work is used to build a single second (which for PAL standard (as in UK) is 25 frames), so if we see a 20 minutes movie behind there are something like 1200 days of clay animation work)

So as Grand Adventures are a jewel of adventure genre, which make the player feel to take part on the crackling-duo tales, I hope they'll give another shot (another 4 episode season perhaps?)
  • edited November 2010
    Definitely put me in the camp on wanting a Season 2 of W&G, it would be a shame not to have it further developed.

I guess there isn't much hope, esp with this forum being dumped into "Classic" games when even Strong Bad isn't
  • edited December 2010
    I really want another W&G game, even if it's just one episode like Puzzle Agent or Poker Night at the Inventory it would really make me happy.

But yeah this "classic game" dump isn't really a good sign. :(
  • edited January 2011
    Yeah we need another season.
  • edited January 2011
    I think when you consider the fact that Wallace & Gromit has already been pushed down into "The Classics" section of the forums hope for a follow-up isn't too promising.

I don't think it necessarily needs a second season. The story is self-contained and there are no real loose-ends that needed tying up. Those who played Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures enjoyed it* but I just don't think it was successful enough to justify expansion. It's a shame it didn't sell better because it really is a quality game.

*Except, you know, those who didn't.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.