What is You Favourite Monkey Island Chapter? (Chapter, not game)

edited October 2011 in Tales of Monkey Island
The 'what is your favourite MI game?' threads have been done to death, so I thought I'd go a little deeper and ask people what their favourite Monkey Island chapter is. With 23 in total, there is a lot of choice there, and it allows you to pick your single favourite part of all the games, and not just your favourite entire game.

The poll will be up shortly.

Edit: It's up, so get voting, people!

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I had a tough time deciding between "The Curse Gets Worse" and "The Thief, the Barkeep, his aunt and her lover." Ultimately, my vote went for "The Curse Gets Worse," probably because of the banjo duel.
  • edited June 2010
    Ultimately, my vote went for "The Curse Gets Worse," probably because of the banjo duel.

Ooh, yes, good point. That's one of my all-time favourite puzzles, and it was a pleasure to listen to while doing it :).
  • edited June 2010
    Three sheets to the wind is close (and the only chapter I've loaded up to play on its own without playing anything else in the game) but The Thief, The Barkeep, his Aunt and her Lover wins because there is just much more happening.
  • edited June 2010
    the demise of zombie pirate lechuck for the unexplained ending.
  • edited June 2010
    The Four Map Pieces.

But I also don't remember all the titles for all the parts in all the games. Would be nice if you could update them with chapter number and game.
  • edited June 2010
    I voted for The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood, but it was close between it and Four Map Pieces, Dinky Island, The Curse Gets Worse, The Thief, The Barkeep, his Aunt and her Lover, and Rise of the Pirate God.
    jaden551 wrote: »
    the demise of zombie pirate lechuck for the unexplained ending.

What unexplained ending?
  • edited June 2010
    apenpaap wrote: »
    What unexplained ending?

I think I voted on the wrong one then,

Oh crap I did I meant the end of LCR.
  • edited June 2010
    Three Sheets to the Wind gets my vote. You can't beat a chapter devoted to insult sword fighting and kick-ass music.
  • edited June 2010
    jaden551 wrote: »
    I think I voted on the wrong one then,

Oh crap I did I meant the end of LCR.

Well, I was sort of leaning towards voting of 'The Demise of the Zombie Pirate LeChuck' myself (as it was the first chapter that I ever played). So, you sort of voted for me, so I guess I'll cast my vote for you - your vote goes to 'Dinky Island', yes?
  • edited June 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    Well, I was sort of leaning towards voting of 'The Demise of the Zombie Pirate LeChuck' myself (as it was the first chapter that I ever played). So, you sort of voted for me, so I guess I'll cast my vote for you - your vote goes to 'Dinky Island', yes?

yep.
  • edited June 2010
    Done. The poll is now once again fair.
  • edited June 2010
    Four Map Pieces is MASSIVE in size with 3 large islands to go between and so much to do. It is easily my favourite part of any Monkey Island due to how much there is to explore and how you aren't restricted to one island.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, 'Four Map Pieces' truly is quite epic, but I just couldn't suppress my nostalgic impulses, so I think I have to class 'Demise' as my favourite. It isn't the best chapter, I am fully aware of that, but playing it is always quite special for me. Plus, it has a lot of good stuff in there:

- Guybrush hopelessly wishing for things that are actually floating right by him, unbeknown to him - quite a funny scene.
    - Elaine, for the first time, confessing that she loves Guybrush - a defining moment in the series.
    - LeChuck's Skeletal Crew - they're just awesome, who knew that skeletons wearing floaties could look so cool?
    - Elaine shooting LeChuck's sword out of his hand and casually blowing the smoke from the tip of the barrel - Elaine at her coolest; what we need to see more of from her in the future.
    - Guybrush re-uniting with Wally... and making him cry.
    - Controlling the cannon - the first time that first-person shooting has been implemented into a Monkey Island game.
    - Guybrush meeting Murray for the first time - it's so memorable, it's hilarious and each line is a classic.
    - Knocking Murray off his perch and into the water - come on, it's fun.
    - Hearing Guybrush, LeChuck, Wally and Elaine with voice for the very first time - thanks to Dominic Armato, Earl Boen, Neil Ross and Alexandra Boyd
    - Guybrush blasting himself through a door with a cannon - it's entertaining.
    - Ship capsizing - the same reason as seen above. But the lead-up was also good, Earl Boen's voice acting for LeChuck while he is holding the canonball is some of the best voice acting I've ever heard. Those lines stick in my head like glue to this day, I will never forget them.
    - Treasure! - and lots of it, with some funny reactions and comments by Guybrush.
    - Elaine turning to gold - a defining point in Curse, if not the most defining moment in the game.
  • edited June 2010
    The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood, that being the Execution part.
    Those death scenes are still very nicely done, just for the fact that you would not expect that to happen in an MI game, especially it happening to Guybrush.
  • edited June 2010
    "The Thief, The Barkeep, his Aunt and her Lover" because I love Blood Island with the look and all the story and the puzzles.

"Four Map Pieces" and "The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood" would round up my top 3.
  • edited June 2010
    This has to be one of the nerdiest things ever
  • edited June 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    This has to be one of the nerdiest things ever

Haha, probably. I'm not worried though, it would only really seem nerdy to somebody who knew nothing about Monkey Island, and those people wouldn't be here anyway.
  • edited June 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    Haha, probably. I'm not worried though, it would only really seem nerdy to somebody who knew nothing about Monkey Island, and those people wouldn't be here anyway.

I played through the games, but never memorized the chapter titles.

This is a big forum, it takes all kinds, I guess...
  • edited June 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    I played through the games, but never memorized the chapter titles.

This is a big forum, it takes all kinds, I guess...

They're listed in order and you can google them easily, so you should be able to vote anyways. Also, most of the titles are self-explanatory.
    I don't think Hayden knew all of them from memory, although I guess I could be wrong.
  • edited June 2010
    caeska wrote: »
    Three Sheets to the Wind gets my vote. You can't beat a chapter devoted to insult sword fighting and kick-ass music.

Funny, I've always skipped that one because it went on my nerves. :D
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    They're listed in order and you can google them easily, so you should be able to vote anyways. Also, most of the titles are self-explanatory.
    I don't think Hayden knew all of them from memory, although I guess I could be wrong.

Don't worry, you're not wrong. I didn't know them all, they're all listed on MI wiki. Though I do know a large portion of them from memory, but not all of them. I'll make that my goal for the year :D.

Edit: Wow. I think I do actually know them all. I attempted to recite them just then and I managed to go from start to finish. I'm scared...
  • edited June 2010
    I voted for "Three Sheets to the Wind." I believe my favorite part of the Monkey Island games was the ship combat (challenging mode) and insult swordfighting on the sea.

Kenny: Whoa, mister! You've just ordered the Destructomatic T-47 Carnage Delivery System with auto-loading and fax modem!

Second Place for me would be "The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood."
  • edited June 2010
    Enter the Manatee easily. What? I'm not the only who voted for it? There's still hope for the world!
  • edited June 2010
    Well, I'm not sure which chapter to pick. I'm caught in a tie between "The Three Trials", "Three Sheets to the Wind", "The Thief, the Barkeep, His Aunt and Her Lover", "Things to Do on Melee Island When You're Dead", and all five chapters of ToMI, but I'm gonna take a wild guess, put "Three Sheets to the Wind" in second place, and go with "The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood".
  • edited July 2011
    it was close for me but my order was 1.being my fav and 6. being the last in my top 6

1.trial and execution of guybrush threepwood
    2.rise of the pirate god
    3.the journey
    4.things to do on melee island when your dead
    5.launch of the screaming narwhal
  • edited July 2011
    The Thief, The Barkeep, his Aunt and her Lover.

I just love Blood Island and all the charecters there and the smuglers in Duck Skull Island.
  • edited July 2011
    Avistew wrote: »

Well here are the ones I can name from memory (no cheating):

Part 1 - The Three Trials
    Part 2 - The Journey
    Part 3 - Beneath Monkey Island (I think)
    Last Part - Guybrush Kicks Butt
    Part 1 - The Largo Embargo
    Part 2 - The Four Pieces (Or was it The Four Map Pieces?)
    Part 3 - LeChucks Fortress
    Last Part - Dinky Island
    Part 1 - The Demise of the Zombie Pirate LeChuck
    Part 2 - The Curse Get's Worse
    Part 3 - Three Sheet's to the Wind
    Part 4 - The Bartender, His Aunt, The Thief and her Lover (No idea if this is right, this is such a long chapter title!!!)
    Part 5 - (Honestly can't remember)
    Part 6 - Guybrush Kicks Butt Once Again
    Act 1 - Things to do on Melee Island When Your Dead
    Act 2 - Enter The Manatee
    Act 3 - Escape From Monkey Island
    Act 3+ - Guybrush Kicks Unusually Large Butt
    Chapter 1 - Launch of the Screaming Narwhal
    Chapter 2 - The Siege of Spinner Cay
    Chapter 3 - Liar of the Leviathan
    Chapter 4 - The Trail and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood
    Chapter 5 - Rise of the Pirate God

So I pretty much remember them all, sure I need to think about it a little bit but I remember. So it is possible that some fans just know of all of them from memory to be fair.

Oh I just added it up, lol, I know the titles of 19/23 chapters, so I don't know 4, and of those 4 I almost perfectly know 3 of them. Kiss of the Spider Monkey is the only chapter I never remember :P
  • edited July 2011
    Part 4 - The Bartender, His Aunt, The Thief and her Lover (No idea if this is right, this is such a long chapter title!!!)

Grojak, I think you mean, "The Bartender, the Thieves, His Aunt, and Her Lover".
  • edited July 2011
    Debbie82 wrote: »
    Grojak, I think you mean, "The Bartender, the Thieves, His Aunt, and Her Lover".

Yeah, I said it was one of the 4 I don't know :P
  • edited July 2011
    I think the order is The Thieves, the Bartender, his Aunt, and her Lover, because Minnie is Griswold's aunt, not King André's.
  • edited July 2011
    Its a refrence to the film "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover".
  • edited July 2011
    apenpaap wrote: »
    I think the order is The Thieves, the Bartender, his Aunt, and her Lover, because Minnie is Griswold's aunt, not King André's.

Sorry, but the correct name is: "The Bartender, the Thieves, His Aunt, and Her Lover", because the name has to fit the title of the original movie, The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover. Plus, André is one of "the Thieves", and the "Bartender" in the first part followed by the "Bartender's Aunt" in the third part is the only way that needs to be correct in many cases.
  • edited July 2011
    Didn't even have to think about it. The 4 map pieces. Excellent puzzles.
  • edited July 2011
    Glad to see some others shared my view of Four Map Pieces being the best, with Blood Island and Trials of GT coming in close behind. However, I am surprised how few seem to like Largo Embargo. It set the scene very well indeed, was well drawn, characters and puzzles were clever and funny.

@Whoever 'likes' GT kicks Unusually Large Butt, you're not as funny as you thought, sorry.
  • edited September 2011
    Launch of the Screaming Narwhal.

I like it.
  • edited September 2011
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    @Whoever 'likes' GT kicks Unusually Large Butt, you're not as funny as you thought, sorry.

Maybe they liked the ultimate insult cutscene.
  • edited September 2011
    Part 1 - The Three Trials

That was pretty cool and tricky.
    Part 2 - The Journey

For me this part is not very creative and way too short
    Part 3 - Beneath Monkey Island (I think)

Not as good as part one, but i like it.
    Last Part - Guybrush Kicks Butt

Typical Finale. A bit short, and too easy.
    Part 1 - The Largo Embargo

A really good beginning, for a genious game. After beating that chapter, youre totally into the game.
    Part 2 - The Four Pieces (Or was it The Four Map Pieces?)

I love this chapter. This is the point where this game really starts. Maybe the best. It's quite long and tricky, and you can move between 3 islands. I like this, complex, and tricky.
    Part 3 - LeChucks Fortress

This is a bit like "The journey". A bit short. Don't like it so much.
    Last Part - Dinky Island

I like that. Especially the thing with the Le Chuck Voodoo Doll.
    Part 1 - The Demise of the Zombie Pirate LeChuck

Unique beginning, cause its very short for an opening chapter. But its very funny, and a cool appetizer for the rest of the game. Something like a prologue.
    Part 2 - The Curse Get's Worse

Typical good monkey Island chapter.
    Part 3 - Three Sheet's to the Wind

Very unique, untypical chapter. I like ;)

This is nearly as good as "The curse gets worse". I like that little trip to Skull Island. Reminds me on the little trip in Le Chucks Revenge with Kate, or the little trip in EFMI to Knuttin.
    Part 5 - (Honestly can't remember)

I dont like that so much. Too short and unlogical. A bit like "The journey"
    Part 6 - Guybrush Kicks Butt Once Again

Thats okay. Typical ending.

Okay its not really a chapter but you forgot the Prologue of this game. So Efmi is the only Monkey island game with a little Prologue before Chapter/Act 1.
    Act 1 - Things to do on Melee Island When Your Dead

I like this one. Not too short, and very appetizing for the rest of the game.
    Act 2 - Enter The Manatee

This is one of my favourite chapter of all MI-Games. Maybe a lot of people have a different opinion, but for me this chapter has the quality of the "Four Map pieces" chapter. There is a lot of tripping between Islands. Its complex and tricky.
    Act 3 - Escape From Monkey Island

This is a really good chapter. After the prologue and 2 really good following chapters youre quite surprised that there is still enough work 2 do.
    Act 3+ - Guybrush Kicks Unusually Large Butt

This is maybe the best Monkey Island Finale.

Chapter 1 - Launch of the Screaming Narwhal
    Chapter 2 - The Siege of Spinner Cay
    Chapter 3 - Liar of the Leviathan
    Chapter 4 - The Trail and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood
    Chapter 5 - Rise of the Pirate God

Unfortunately i did not play Tales yet. Beat me. :p
    I would play it, if there would be a version for PS3 with german voice over. I bought the PC-Version with german voice over. But i have to wait till i got a working pc. :rolleyes:

My favourite Chapter is "The four map pieces".

But "Enter the Manatee" is close to it.
  • edited September 2011
    Spooky666 wrote: »
    Okay its not really a chapter but you forgot the Prologue of this game. So Efmi is the only Monkey island game with a little Prologue before Chapter/Act 1.

I didn't forget anything. This thread purely lists named chapters and the begging part of EMI has no name. The only name I forgot was the 'Kiss of the Spider Monkey' part from CMI which is a OK part, but it's also forgettable.
    This is one of my favourite chapter of all MI-Games. Maybe a lot of people have a different opinion, but for me this chapter has the quality of the "Four Map pieces" chapter. There is a lot of tripping between Islands. Its complex and tricky.

Your definitely in the minority, but don't worry about it. I personally felt EMI was still a decent game.
    This is maybe the best Monkey Island Finale.

You can tell you haven't played Tales yet :P I don't want to spoil anything but let's just say this is the 2nd best ending imo :)
    Unfortunately i did not play Tales yet. Beat me. :p
    I would play it, if there would be a version for PS3 with german voice over. I bought the PC-Version with german voice over. But i have to wait till i got a working pc. :rolleyes:

Why do you need to wait? You English seems excellent!
    My favourite Chapter is "The four map pieces".

But "Enter the Manatee" is close to it.

I disagree on this. I love 'The Four Map Pieces', but I feel Enter the Manatee is average (still good though). I think probably 'The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood' (chapter 4 of ToMI) is my favourite, mostly due to the unique and fantastic ending to the chapter! :D
  • edited September 2011
    Why do you need to wait? You English seems excellent!

I mean, i would not have any understanding-problems with an english version. But thats not the point.

Since "Curse" I'm used to play MI-Games with german voice over. I'm just used to it. So for me its a matter of "enjoyment", not a matter of understanding or not understanding a language.

The other thing is, i don't like download-content. :D

I think its a matter of taste. I know, there are a lot of germans that even prefer playing an MI-Game with english voice over.

Anyway. By the time, i'll have enough money for a new pc, i will play my german "Tales".

It's already bought, so Telltale already got my money. :-)
    You can tell you haven't played Tales yet :P I don't want to spoil anything but let's just say this is the 2nd best ending imo

Hope so :-)
    Your definitely in the minority, but don't worry about it. I personally felt EMI was still a decent game.

For me it always feels like most people hate EFMI only cause of the graphics and the keyboard controls.

I definately think the games content is underrated.
  • edited September 2011
    For me it always feels like most people hate EFMI only cause of the graphics and the keyboard controls.

I definately think the games content is underrated.

For me it was the controls on the PC version, the loading times on the PS2 version and the plot holes that put me off a bit. But having said that I do still enjoy EMI, I just enjoy Curse, MI2 and Tales more. (I like EMI about the same as MI1, I grew up with MI1 so it's nostalgic, but it is still slow paced compared to the others imo).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.