Future of Bone?

edited July 2007 in Bone
Since Telltale started making Sam & Max, I've become worried about the Bone series.. of course I prefer Sam & Max but as I've already bought Bone I would hate for that series to be cancelled as it would render my game useless. This is my biggest complaint when it comes to episodic gaming, the uncertainty that you will get the entire story finished.. just look at the Sin episodes, they were cancelled (after the first episode too!).

Anyway, could anyone from Telltale inform me if it's pretty much guaranteed that you will finish the Bone series someday or is there a chance it will be cancelled?

Comments

• edited March 2007
    Considering that each game is roughly one of Smith's books, and that there's twelve of them at least - I doubt they're going to just up and quit before the end.
  • edited March 2007
    They've said many times that they would continue the series.
  • edited March 2007
    Have they said it's 100% sure they'll do that or do they use vague language and such? It seems to me they've sort of dropped the ball on that series.
  • edited March 2007
    Vague? I can't prove that the game is in development, and we don't know it will be anytime soon, but they have said on several occasions that they have every intention of continuing the series. They probably wouldn't put "Bone 3 - coming soon" on the front page if that weren't true. I can recall at least two interviews where Dan Connors said they would continue Bone after they were done Sam & Max (though not necessarily immediately). Emily has confirmed on this forum at some point that they're not abandoning the license.

Are they flat-out lying? Maybe!
  • MelMel
    edited March 2007
    Dave Grossman is the lead designer for both games* and he's been a tad busy of late. ;) Also, Heather Logas has been a little busy as well. :)

*I believe this is correct.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2007
    For the record, there are nine Bone books, not twelve*... and I doubt that we'd adapt them all as single games, as some of the books would really boil down to one or two long cutscenes with slivers of game in there, so they'd be best served by being combined in with a more gameplay-rich book.

As far as actual new Bone games, you'll hear more someday. Everyone at TTG likes making Bone games, but we're a tiny company (there are only so many ways you can split 25 people) and we're in the middle of other things right now.

* I think so at least...
  • edited March 2007
    I think so? I think so? Don't tell you haven't read the excellent books yet!

--Erwin
  • edited March 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    For the record, there are nine Bone books, not twelve*... and I doubt that we'd adapt them all as single games, as some of the books would really boil down to one or two long cutscenes with slivers of game in there, so they'd be best served by being combined in with a more gameplay-rich book.

As far as actual new Bone games, you'll hear more someday. Everyone at TTG likes making Bone games, but we're a tiny company (there are only so many ways you can split 25 people) and we're in the middle of other things right now.

* I think so at least...

Yes, there are 9 books in the Bone comic series:

1.Out From Boneville
    2.The Great Cow Race
    3.Eyes of the Storm
    4.The Dragonslayer
    5.Rock Jaw: Master of the Eastern Border
    6.Old Man's Cave*
    7.Ghost Circles
    8.Tresure Hunters
    9.Crown of Horns

*This is the book where things start getting more intense!
  • edited March 2007
    You could also buy the books and read them if you're interested in the story...

They're great!
  • edited March 2007
    I might just do that but if they're going to release more Bone games I'd rather play those first so the story won't be spoiled for me.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2007
    I have read the books, I was just second guessing myself as far as how many chapters there were as I was writing the post.
  • edited March 2007
    How can anybody say that the first two games are "useless" because there are no sequels (yet)?
    I adequately enjoyed both games as games in their own right, and if there is a sequel, that would be great (especially considering the expierience the TTG people have gained with the S&M games), but, even if there aren't, let's not diminish the games. They are cool enough just for being the games they are...
  • edited March 2007
    Of course they're useless if the story stops almost before it even begins! At least that's what I think.
  • edited March 2007
    there are nine Bone books, not twelve*
    I dunno why, but in french there's twelve books...
  • edited March 2007
    I still have hope that Episode 3 is coming, but doesn't look like it will be coming too soon:

From Mojo's trip to Telltale HQ:

http://www.mixnmojo.com/features/read.php?article=gdc2007&page=1
    I then asked Emily about Bone, and she said that no, it wasn’t getting made at the moment, but everyone at Telltale would really love to do it. “We were talking about that at lunch, actually. We wish we were working on Bone.” She looked really glum as she said this, so I said: “oh, never mind, it’s best not to spread yourself too thin anyway.” I think that there are actually darker reasons for Bone Episode Three not being made, something about licensing, but I couldn’t find anything else about that, as it’s one of those touchy legal subjects. Speaking of which, I made an ill-calculated joke about “market place realities” that got an awkward silence. Whoops!

My suspicion is that they're working on something else (The CSI and S&M teams are just about wrapping up major production right? So something else must be in the works for them to be too busy for Bone?) and they don't want to restart the Bone franchise until they can do it "right," with a properly sequenced episodic schedule.
  • edited March 2007
    Yeah.. working on episodic games sounds stressful as hell to me! But since they started the Bone series I really think they should continue and finish it within too long.. but I like the Sam & Max games better though. However, I think it should be a principle that once you start a series and people buy parts of it, you should keep working on it until it's done.
    I don't really care that much personally though as I really enjoy the Sam & Max games :)
  • edited March 2007
    Laffer wrote: »
    Yeah.. working on episodic games sounds stressful as hell to me!

Yep. Personally, I am pretty impressed they are able to keep it up and still deliver products that are(practically) bug free. I mean, certain people have issues, but there are no issues that affects a grand amount of customers for example. Also, seeing the staff coming on this forum on a saturday, and also seeing them spending extra time on replying posts and such. It really shows these people like what they are doing, and are a dedicated group of people. With Telltale games, I get a chance to know whos behind the games, which really makes it more tempting to buy and support these people who always give 100% to make our day a little bit brighter and a little more problem free.
    Laffer wrote: »
    But since they started the Bone series I really think they should continue and finish it within too long.. but I like the Sam & Max games better though. However, I think it should be a principle that once you start a series and people buy parts of it, you should keep working on it until it's done.
    I don't really care that much personally though as I really enjoy the Sam & Max games :)

True, always nice to finish a series. But sometimes legal issues can pop up just like that, and one can't really ever full protect oneself from it happening.

I hope they will continue developing other stuff as well, though, and not focus too much on sam & max. It can be dangerous if the "only" games they focus mainly on developing are Sam & Max based games. Suddenly the fan base decides they are sick of sam & max or something else unexpected happens, and suddenly a main source of income is gone.
  • edited March 2007
    Let's hope Sam & Max won't become for TellTale what Star Wars is for LucasArts ;)
  • edited April 2007
    I don't like what I'm hearing about this subject lately. Telltale has talked about a possible Season Two and maybe even original stuff (which I long for, don't take me wrong), but... no Bone in the works. Why? Season One is almost over, CSI Hard Evidence almost wrapped up, so... why the delay? I'm worried. :confused:
  • edited April 2007
    I think the fact that Bone is entirely (?) self-funded might be a reason why it's being placed behind everything else which has the financial security and the set schedules of a publisher (Gametap with Sam & Max, Ubisoft with CSI). Just a guess.
  • edited April 2007
    They've said a few times that S&M and CSI are the forefront stuff right now, Udva's probably onto something
  • edited April 2007
    From an interview with Dave Grossman and Dan Conners at firingsquad.com:
    FiringSquad: What other projects does Telltale Games have in the works?

Dan Connors: We're working on CSI: Hard Evidence for Ubisoft and are in the planning stages of Sam & Max: Season 2. Other than this, we've got a few other projects in the works, but nothing we're ready to announce.

I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't be "ready to announce" the third episode of Bone, especially when the website has said that it's "Coming Soon" for at least half a year now.
  • edited April 2007
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    I think the fact that Bone is entirely (?) self-funded might be a reason why it's being placed behind everything else which has the financial security and the set schedules of a publisher (Gametap with Sam & Max, Ubisoft with CSI). Just a guess.

I completely concur with you. Prior of Telltale announcing their acquisition of the S and M license, they seem to pump out two episodes of bone, quickly.

However, as you stated, bone isn't funded by another corporation. As such, bone is put aside so that telltale (with one team that is workin on all of the games they made) is workin on other titles that have schedules.

Something similar occured with agdinteractive, where they put aside Quest for Glory so that they can work on their first commercial adventure game.

If season 2 is goin to be release in the last qtr of 2007, I am certain we will see episode 3 in the summer unless CSI is keeping them busy.
  • MelMel
    edited May 2007
    From this interview:
    We haven’t seen a new Bone chapter since this season of Sam & Max began. Is there anything that you can reveal about Bone episode three? When do you expect to release it?

Dan Connors: We’ve been really focused on Sam & Max and nailing the episodic model. This has helped the company better understand digital distribution, and we’re in a great position to take advantage of the Bone license, but our teams are very busy right now. As the company grows we will revisit Bone.
  • edited July 2007
    Well, if Udva really is onto something let's look at the positive side: If working on Bone is out of Telltale's pocket then in the mean time as people by CSI and Sam & Max Telltale will probably get enough of a cushion to place Bone back on schedule again.

It sounds like they all sure want to. I think it'll be done.

I must agree that I too appreciate the team taking their time out of the weekend to respond to us. I really admire this company.

And just for the record, I think I like Bone more than Sam and Max (taking cover!)! =D
  • edited July 2007
    I also believe it was said that Bone and Sam & Max use pretty much the same team, meaning that unless new guys are given the reins to one of the licenses, one can't exist while the other is in production. Maybe that's not the case, and I know there's team overlap, but it's my understanding that Telltale is in some sense divided into the Bone/Sam & Max guys and the CSI guys.

But while we're talking about bright sides, I like to keep in mind that while Telltale can theoretically keep making Sam & Max seasons forever ("forever" here having the meaning of "until it stops making money" or "until they don't think they can sustain the quality anymore"), Bone is gonna end for good when it ends. In that light it's probably the license I'd prefer be stretched out, since there's really nowhere to go with it once the story has been adapted.
  • edited July 2007
    You're right, but why didn't the Sam & Max team start working on another Bone episode when Season One wrapped? I was expecting this, but now it seems they're working on Season Two. I mean, I love Sam & Max, but I don't understand that "coming soon" for the third Bone game on the mainpage. I guess something happened. I hope Bone doesn't suffer from Sin Episodes fate. I know Telltale supports and loves the work they've done on the Bones, but I'm also doing the best I can to support the episodic method in the Italian fan community, so the lack of solid infos on further Bone episodes in over a year is the only dark side behind the undeniable triumph of Sam & Max Season One.
  • edited July 2007
    I think the coming soon was just put there in response to people who kept posting their assumptions that Telltale had abandoned the license.
  • edited July 2007
    On the other hand.. If more people would buy more copies of Bone.. then.. who knows?
  • 10 years later

Jake posted: »

For the record, there are nine Bone books, not twelve*... and I doubt that we'd adapt them all as single games, as some of the books would reall

• And no game in sight bummer

• Reading this in 2018 feels sad.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.