A Funny Little Reference I Found

For anyone that doesn't have the WiiWare version of this game, watch literally the first 10 seconds of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VawsunZgJUo

Anyway, when the game is selected from the Wii Menu, Strong Bad loads up SBCG4AP102.wad. It's pretty much implied that he's loading a pirated copy of the game.

The funny thing is, though, .wad is a Wii channel-format file, but it's the unofficial one used for piracy; Nintendo and other developers don't even use or acknowledge it. Someone over at Telltale hasn't been buying their games if they actually knew about this. :P

Old news, but I thought it was pretty funny.

Comments

• KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2011
    .wad files are used extensively during the development of WiiWare titles! They are part of the development process and this has nothing to do with piracy. When we were making SBCG4AP it was very early in WiiWare and I there wasn't any WiiWare piracy at that time...
  • edited February 2011
    Hey weren't .wad files used for Doom and Quake back in the day?
  • edited February 2011
    Also, if you know that .wads are used for piracy, wouldn't that imply that you pirate?
  • edited February 2011
    Also, if you know that .wads are used for piracy, wouldn't that imply that you pirate?

They're also used for making legit Japanese discs playable on an American console. So it's not necessarily piracy, but still...
  • edited February 2011
    I learned something today.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.