So, why no new Bone games?

edited July 2008 in Bone
I'm aware of the whole focusing on the great Sam and Max and crappy CSI games thing, but why stop Bone after The Great Cow Race? It isn't until after that when it would actually make a good game, since, you know that's when all the actual ADVENTURING starts.

Escaping from Rock Jaw, or perhaps controlling Phoney and Smiley while they're defending the city from the rat creatures (using puzzles, of course) would be more fun than hopping across stones as a bug. In fact, the minigames in general should be axed.

Just my opinion, though.

Comments

• edited December 2007
    As everybody knows, internet petitions always* work, so sign the one in my signature!

*not true.
  • edited December 2007
    As everybody knows, internet petitions always* work, so sign the one in my signature!

*not true.

Yeah, internet petitions have a really low chance of working, but I signed it anyway. I just found it sad that the most game-unfriendly parts of Bone were the ones that have been made into games. : (
  • edited December 2007
    IIRC they still have the license to do the third game. I imagine they'd have the business sense to use it before it expires. When that is is anyone's guess, though.
    It's also interesting to consider what the CSI4 team is now doing. My money is on the secret licenses, but you never know.
  • edited December 2007
    Harald B wrote: »
    IIRC they still have the license to do the third game. I imagine they'd have the business sense to use it before it expires. When that is is anyone's guess, though.
    It's also interesting to consider what the CSI4 team is now doing. My money is on the secret licenses, but you never know.

Honestly I'd prefer whoever made the CSI game to stay far away from it.
  • edited December 2007
    Andjust to expand on what Harald has said: They only hold the liscence to make games based on the 1st 3 books of the Bone Series. They do NOT hold the liscence to make games based on books 4-9. Which imo are really the more video game geared ones of the bunch.

I can see why they did what they did tho. Do them in chronological order to get more of an intrest/less confusion. Unfortunatly they probably didn't see themselves being tied up by other things down the road at the time they drew up the agreements. Probably will make good on the 3rd game, but who knows when.

And the CSI games problems don't all fall under Telltale's doings. They have said they went to a 3rd party for some of the game's animations or models (forget which) and the stories were probably done by outsiders too.
  • edited December 2007
    Dedlok wrote: »
    Andjust to expand on what Harald has said: They only hold the liscence to make games based on the 1st 3 books of the Bone Series. They do NOT hold the liscence to make games based on books 4-9. Which imo are really the more video game geared ones of the bunch.

I can see why they did what they did tho. Do them in chronological order to get more of an intrest/less confusion. Unfortunatly they probably didn't see themselves being tied up by other things down the road at the time they drew up the agreements. Probably will make good on the 3rd game, but who knows when.

And the CSI games problems don't all fall under Telltale's doings. They have said they went to a 3rd party for some of the game's animations or models (forget which) and the stories were probably done by outsiders too.

I see. Yeah, that's what I was saying, the early ones really aren't great as games.

Strange that they only have the licenses for the first 3 though.

I am very glad Telltale had nothing to do with the CSI game though. I rented it for 360 and it looked like the same animation systems from S&M were used for the more realistic humans in it... Which led to some really creepy mouth movements. That, plus, you know, there being no challenge whatsoever in the game.

Still, though, let them know we wants us some rat-creature slaying as Granma Ben and castle sieges!
  • edited January 2008
    I've kind of neglected the Bone games. In fact, because of Sam and Max, I haven't ever played the full version of Bone 1 or 2. I was thinking of buying the bundle pack sometime.
  • edited March 2008
    Bone 1 and 2 were good but as these were the first two games for telltale, i think they forgot the hardness that it needed. If bone 3 is underway or still dead i'd say to make challanges harder and sometimes making non-comic book senarios that only involve a bone and some chacter we never see ever or even after.
  • edited March 2008
    They not only removed the 'coming soon' under Bone on the main page, but they also took away the third book from the store. :(
  • ArtArt
    edited May 2008
    Hi,
    Yeah, why not make more bone games?!);(
  • ArtArt
    edited May 2008
    Hi,

Me again. The books are so good, why stop the games!?
    They'll do it, hopefully.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008
    We're not working on any new Bone games right now. It's a great license and we all love the books, but we found that it doesn't work as well for the type of episodic games we're currently focusing on (monthly releases, downloads from the internet, etc.) as Sam & Max and the other licenses we're doing.
  • edited May 2008
    Perhaps you'll be slightly annoyed thinking that we don't completely understand Emily, but perhaps in another way you'll realize Telltale does have people who are genuinely interested in seeing the Bone games come back to life. I really do hope you find time in the future to work on them again; there are just such few, simple-yet-charming games that make you smile anymore... :)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2008
    Oh no, I'm not annoyed at all. :) We know there are people who would like more Bone games, and I wish I had a better answer for you guys.
  • edited June 2008
    Would more sells motivate the chances of seeing a 3rd episode?
  • ArtArt
    edited June 2008
    Hi,

So are you saying no more bone games or not?:confused:
    I got the games, they are awesome!!!:D
  • edited June 2008
    Art wrote: »
    Hi,

So are you saying no more bone games or not?:confused:
    I got the games, they are awesome!!!:D
    Emily wrote: »
    We're not working on any new Bone games right now.

I think Emily already answered your question...
  • ArtArt
    edited June 2008
    Molokov wrote: »
    I think Emily already answered your question...

Hi,
    Oh,so they're going to make more bone games in the future.:o
    What is Sam & Max?:confused:
  • edited June 2008
    Hi,
    ... Uh, no. The answer was "We're not making any right now and we don't have any plans to do so." Basically, you won't see them for quite some time if at all.
    And how are you on here and not know what Sam & Max is?
  • edited June 2008

*not true.

I signed, you are ten short from 300!
  • edited June 2008
    Don't forget there is a Warner brothers Bone movie in the works, so if ever there was a chance (and some new 3rd party funding) to reboot/restart the Bone game series, the movie would be it.

Also, this;

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6189014.html
    However, Telltale has seen its share of struggles, most notably in the aborted precursor to the Sam & Max series, Bone. After releasing two episodes of Bone in seven months, Telltale suspended development on the series because it simply wasn't getting traction.

"We were surprised at how difficult it was to sell to the age group that was best suited for Bone," Connors said, saying the company had trouble figuring out how to sell a game to children on the Internet. "With the right partnership, Bone would make a lot of sense, whether it's Scholastic, or Warner Bros., or even working with Nintendo to bring that to [Wii]. But self-publishing from the Telltale site, the Sam & Max audience was much more right to get our footing."
  • ArtArt
    edited June 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    ... Uh, no. The answer was "We're not making any right now and we don't have any plans to do so." Basically, you won't see them for quite some time if at all.
    And how are you on here and not know what Sam & Max is?

Hi,

Um... That answers my bone, but not the sam and max one.:confused:
    so, just tell me what sam and max is.:mad:
  • MelMel
    edited June 2008
    Don't you have a thread in the Sam & Max forum asking that very question?

Yes you do! (and it has some posts with links to give you info)

Also just perusing Telltale's own Sam & Max page will give you some info too.
  • edited June 2008
    Hi,

Um... That answers my bone, but not the sam and max one.:confused:
    so, just tell me what sam and max is.:mad:

Sam & Max are hybrid animals who solve cases and act violent
    *bows*
  • Art wrote: »
    Hi,
    Hi, Why he hell do you keep saying "Hi?"

anyways, I played the games, and they're OK. Not as funny as Sam & max, but their Decent. I wouldn't hype over if they made a 3rd one though. No offense.
  • edited July 2008
    me either, but i would like it released sense it's fun..a bit longer then Sam & Max
    but fun
  • edited July 2008
    Well, and I think if they released a new Bone game (I so hope they do!), it would be much better than the first two. They did the first two before Sam and Max, and with all that experience, I'm sure the third Bone game would definitely outshine the first two.

I love Sam and Max and all, but I love the Bone story so much...I really hope the pick this up again in the future.
  • Boo. 'Doesn't work well' ??!

Emily posted: »

We're not working on any new Bone games right now. It's a great license and we all love the books, but we found that it doesn't work as well for

• I think THIS is why everything led up to TTG going up in flames 10 years later.

Emily posted: »

We're not working on any new Bone games right now. It's a great license and we all love the books, but we found that it doesn't work as well for

Sign in to comment in this discussion.