Should I get Bone?

edited January 2008 in Bone
Hi guys. I'm undecided if I should get Bone or not. I really love Sam and Max, but would I like Bone - is it completely different? What do you do in it?

Just wanted some opinions from Sam and Max fans, or whatever.

Thanks. :)

Update: I am going to be buying (hooray!) the two Bone games, once I sort out a query I have. :)

Comments

• edited August 2007
    I've been in the same situation as you when I tried the first demo. It gave me the impression that Out from Boneville was gorgeous, lovingly made, enjoyable and innovative, but also too short, way too easy, and a bit too for kids. That's pretty much what the reviews said as well so I skipped it and the other one for a while.
    Then on a rainy day I decided to take the advice Emily keeps repeating and try the Great Cow Race demo. I ended up buying and enjoying that one.
    Both Bone games have some good things in common with the Sam and Max games: a simple point-n-click interface, great music by Jared, very nice visuals, innovative puzzles and mini-games, and a good sense of humour.
    I can't tell you much more about Out from Boneville, but in Great Cow Race the main part of the game revolves around three storylines you can switch between at will (reminiscent of dott, though there's not much interaction between them): Fone Bone having romantic issues and exploring the fair, Phoney Bone conning everyone he can into his betting scheme, and Smiley Bone walking around the farm and kitchen putting together a cow suit. After that there is a very good grand finale revolving around the titular cow race and the inevitable backfiring of Phoney's quick-money scheme.

My advice is to try both demos. And don't be put off immeditiately if the Great Cow Race demo seems a bit too sweet. That's what I thought at first, but if that demo had started the way the real game started I would have been hooked right away (hilarious opening starting with Phoney's arrival in the barrelhaven, none of which is in the demo unfortunately).
  • edited August 2007
    I just tried the Out from Boneville demo, and I thought it was quite good, except:
    • Some of the speech gets a bit repetitive.
    • Some of the voice acting is mediocre (the others - such as the small leaf and monsters - are great!).
    The music is excellent, though. And the story seems quite cool.

I'm undecided at the moment. I just needed something to pass the time for S&M Season 2, really.
  • edited August 2007
    I've only played the demos, but I'd go for it. The only reason I haven't bought both games is because of money and I'm waiting for the director's cut on CD.
    I've been a fan of bone for about 10 years and the story is really good. I'd recommend picking up some of the trades.
  • edited August 2007
    In terms of a standard-length adventure game, or one of the Sam and Max episodes, or both, how long are the Bone games?

My impression from the demos is that they're quite enjoyable, but it seemed obvious what to do at every turn and I'd also like a challenge. Do the puzzles get any harder?
  • edited August 2007
    The first Bone game is *really* (and I mean REALLY) easy.
  • edited August 2007
    In terms of a standard-length adventure game, or one of the Sam and Max episodes, or both, how long are the Bone games?

My impression from the demos is that they're quite enjoyable, but it seemed obvious what to do at every turn and I'd also like a challenge. Do the puzzles get any harder?

The first game is pretty easy and quite short, but the second game is slightly harder and longer. However, if you know what you're doing on adventure games, they'll both be easy.
  • edited August 2007
    I'm vaguely tempted to get The Great Cow Race, which then makes Out From Boneville only another $7, dagnammit! A pox on these clever marketing techniques.
  • edited August 2007
    I'm vaguely tempted to get The Great Cow Race, which then makes Out From Boneville only another $7, dagmannit! A pox on these clever marketing techniques.

You should! The Great Cow Race is really, really good. Check out my oh-so-awesome review for it here or check out my out from Boneville review here.
    [/end advertising my reviews]
  • edited August 2007
    Dagnammit, you quoted me before I edited out the 'dagmannit'!

I've read your reviews, and if you really think there's two hours' of gameplay to be had from Out From Boneville (without, y'know, milking it entirely for time-wasting opportunities) and consequently four from The Great Cow Race, then it sounds like a reasonable buy :)
  • edited August 2007
    Dagnammit, you quoted me before I edited out the 'dagmannit'!

I've read your reviews, and if you really think there's two hours' of gameplay to be had from Out From Boneville (without, y'know, milking it entirely for time-wasting opportunities) and consequently four from The Great Cow Race, then it sounds like a reasonable buy :)

Yeah, those times are if you pretty much speed through without taking time to look around and listen to all the voice options, I believe -- don't quote me on that, I may have got it wrong.

But if you do it buy it, I recommended looking at everything and going through all the voice options,
  • edited January 2008
    you should definatly get bone GAME =) ALLSO TRY THE BOOKS IN MY OPINION THE BOOKS ARE EVEN BETTER!
  • edited January 2008
    you should definatly get bone GAME =) ALLSO TRY THE BOOKS IN MY OPINION THE BOOKS ARE EVEN BETTER!

I'm now the proud owner of both. ;)
  • edited January 2008
    but guybrush threepwood what do you like better the game or the books? in my opinion the books but thats me
  • edited January 2008
    but guybrush threepwood what do you like better the game or the books? in my opinion the books but thats me

I think they're both very different things with different qualities.
  • edited January 2008
    I think they're both very different things with different qualities.

well thats cool:D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.