I don't get the pricing here

This just popped up on Steam and was the first I'd heard of it, but I've liked most of Telltale's stuff. Checking it out it seems to be a $3, year-old Iphone game they're now selling for $10 on PC? How does that make sense?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    They've increased the resolution (+$15) and decreased the sound quality (-$8) :)
  • edited April 2011
    Because they had to work with strandalooper, and since telltale published it and not actually make it. I think strandalooper decided on the price.
  • edited April 2011
    Thanks for the info on pricing. I would have never looked into this without your hint.
    It really seems irrational to take 3 times the price of the IPhone version for PC. I'll wait for a sale and a reasonable price.
  • edited April 2011
    It's not irrational, that's what happens whenever any game gets ported to a different format. It may be a year old iphone game but it's a brand new PC game.
  • edited April 2011
    I have to agree with the OP. The markup in price from the original ipod release seems unjustified.

I will pick it up, but i will wait till its cheaper.
  • edited April 2011
    I think I pick it up, when all 3 episodes are available in a set. ;)
  • edited April 2011
    Same. 10 bucks per episode, is a bit too much.
  • edited April 2011
    If I'd known the iPhone version existed, I might not have picked it up for PC/Mac to be honest :(

Well if it helps anyone else, it's $9 (-10%) on Steam, which includes both versions.
  • edited April 2011
    Well, there's also the "playing it on a system that doesn't have a 45 minute gaming battery life" fee.
  • edited April 2011
    Hello,

I just completed First episode and here is what i have to say.

First off i bought it via steam it's full price is €9.99 but with 10 % of discount it cost €8.99.
    The thing is that this first episode is way too short for €8.99 even Poker Night at the Inventory i spent more time playing it and that game costs only €3.99.
    And now when i saw final cut scene movie it shoved that next episode will come out in Fall? Are you really serious? I dont want to spend another 9.99 euros just for another short episode. Either you lower price of this game or make it much longer than this. Actually just look at this from different side Episode 2 should be free for those who bought it via steam because it's to expensive. I had my laughs but it's just not worth €10.

Thanks for reading.
  • edited April 2011
    At first I thought Tell Tale was selling the full series, but thanks to PetiteBiere I realized that Tell Tale is indeed selling only episode 1. Sorry I got confused because normally Tell Tale only sells full series, not this time.

Sorry Valve (you still need better customer service though, you are still pocketing too much money).

Though my Tell Tale launcher shows episodes 2 and 3, so it is possible we will get those for free, but I can't definitively say that won't happen on Steam either.

Regardless, you might as well buy it through Tell Tale so you aren't paying a middle man. Buying through Steam means that Tell Tale gets less money because Steam takes a cut (that they won't share with the public either----shady if you ask me, if you were being generous you would want to share your profit margins wouldn't you?).

If you buy through Tell Tale, they will get the money and be able to use it to make more games like Hector.
  • edited April 2011
    Are you sure buying it off Telltale will give one the 3 episodes? I though 9.99 dollars was for the first episode only.
  • edited April 2011
    Are you sure buying it off Telltale will give one the 3 episodes? I though 9.99 dollars was for the first episode only.

You are correct, my fault, thank you for pointing this out, I have changed my post accordingly.
  • edited May 2011
    Yeah - price and bug issues aside I found this an enjoyable game but probably not worth the $10. First game I feel hasnt fully met TTG's usually high standards and good value
  • edited May 2011
    I was very interested in this game, and I was happy to read that it was ready for purchase in the TTG Store. But once I saw that 10$ price... Man, it's too high for a port of an Iphone game...

If I ever buy it, it will be once I've seen there's a good price for it (such as a 3 episode bundle for 15$)...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.