"Monkey Island" in the Smithsonian

edited July 2011 in Tales of Monkey Island
The Art of Video Games

The Smithsonian is holding a new exhibit featuring the art, technology, and cultural influence of video games. They are displaying 80 games from different eras that have been decided on by popular vote, from classics like "Pac-Man" to modern titles like "Heavy Rain".

The exhibit will also include five playable games, including "The Secret of Monkey Island"!

Comments

• edited May 2011
    That's awesome; Monkey Island is definently exhibit-worthy. Looking at the games, there's some I'm glad made the list (Portal!) and some I'm surprised didn't (Castle Crashers, Braid, and Limbo would have been great for the art stuff).
  • edited May 2011
    Out of all the video games in the world to pick and there's only 5 slots and SMI gets one! This is huge publicity Lucas will probably wanna ok a new game now.
  • edited May 2011
    did any valve games besides portal make it?
  • edited May 2011
    coolsome wrote: »
    Out of all the video games in the world to pick and there's only 5 slots and SMI gets one! This is huge publicity Lucas will probably wanna ok a new game now.

don't get your hopes to high
  • edited May 2011
    coolguy721 wrote: »
    don't get your hopes to high

There already sky high!!
    cdn.tvlia.com.files.2011.01.spongebob-happy-spongebob-squarepants-154897_338_432.jpg
  • edited May 2011
    Yay
  • edited May 2011
    that is quite an honor Ron, Dave, and Tim should be really proud.
  • edited May 2011
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    did any valve games besides portal make it?

Half-Life 2 was nominated.

Anyway, this is great news! :)
  • edited May 2011
    seibert999 wrote: »
    Yay

thats....um....quite a post
  • edited May 2011
    coolsome wrote: »

I share your excitement; the publicity is terrific, and Monkey Island is extremely deserving of it. But I agree with coolguy, I wouldn't put my hope in LucasArts doing anything of the sort. There's the possibility there, for sure, but... it's LucasArts - they've let us down before; they can do it again.
    coolguy721 wrote: »
    thats....um....quite a post

It's called spamming. This particular brand of spamming is usually done to boost one's post-count, which is what's presumably being done here.
  • edited May 2011
    Hayden wrote: »
    I share your excitement; the publicity is terrific, and Monkey Island is extremely deserving of it. But I agree with coolguy, I wouldn't put my hope in LucasArts doing anything of the sort. There's the possibility there, for sure, but... it's LucasArts - they've let us down before; they can do it again.

I disagree. I think there is reason to get hopes up. If MI suddenly gets some new attention from people who had never originally played or even heard of the MI franchise, then perhaps Lucasarts will get dollar signs in their eyes and if not create a new MI themselves, at least give TTG the liscense again for another. We're still not sure whether TTG is going to be able to continue the series so this could be a helpful push to make it happen.
  • edited May 2011
    Lucas Arts aren't even making any first party games right now. There is a slim chance that they might make another special edition. The thing is its a lot easier to market a downloadable game then a retail game.
  • edited May 2011
    Wow, this list sucks.

I grew up with video games , lots of games don't belong on that list. Where are games like Wolf 3D?

And yeah...there's so so many games coming to mind that should be on that list and that shouldn't be. Prince of Persia should be...

What about all the other classic adventure games, no Sierra games? No original racing games/ flight simulator games? What about games like Blade Runner, early real time 3D games....this list sucks.

It's historically uninformative and inaccurate and misleading and misinformed. I'm disappointed, greatly.
  • edited May 2011
    Doodo, you do know it was put to a vote right? On the Smithsonian website people voted for what games should be part of the exhibit. So basically what I'm saying is if you didn't vote, quit bitching.
  • edited May 2011
    mgrant wrote: »
    Doodo, you do know it was put to a vote right? On the Smithsonian website people voted for what games should be part of the exhibit. So basically what I'm saying is if you didn't vote, quit bitching.

Yeah well those who voted are clearly biased and misinformed. You can not deny the crucial importance of several video games that did not make the list. Some of the games on that list are a joke and not a proper historical insight into video gaming progress. Key, critical titles aren't picked over other titles because it's been left open to some silly poll? It's insulting, couldn't they do some research?

This list is pathetic, regardless of it's sociological survey , which apparently has had fruitless, uninformitive results. Some of the games on this list, while maybe good games, aren't at all informitive or pivotal...
  • edited July 2011
    whats the 5 games that r playable
  • edited July 2011
    Ya--
    Hayden wrote: »
    It's called spamming. This particular brand of spamming is usually done to boost one's post-count, which is what's presumably being done here.

... Oh... :(

But, to relate to post, that is awesome! Is it a permanent exhibit? (I don't read links. :P)
  • edited July 2011
    The five playable games are:

Pac-Man
    Super Mario Brothers
    The Secret of Monkey Island
    Myst
    World of Warcraft

And according to the web page, the exhibit is only temporary, March 16, 2012 – September 30, 2012.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.