Where did original Doc go? And where is the new Marty?

While I love playing these games, I'm a bit confused as to what happened to the original Doc, and why aren't their alternate Marty's? or why didn't Marty disappear?

So confused.. is this just a bad continuity issue that has just been skipped over to make more games?

At the end of Episode 4.. do the "new" old doc and edna just end up disappearing since Marty changed the timeline and they never got together?

Comments

• edited May 2011
    1. Original Doc was 100-something years old, because he went to the future to live longer. The new Doc never did that, and died before hitting that age. So Original Doc disappeared from existence. The same thing happened to Old Biff in the movies (in a deleted scene)

2) There is an alternate Marty, but he was out of hill valley when we got to visit the alternate timeline.

3) Obviously, New Doc and Edna are still around, part 5 will see the conclusion.
  • edited May 2011
    whaaaat? when did doc go into the future to take something to live longer? in BTTF3, he was living in old west hillside for sometime before marty found him, and then he had a few kids with clara.. which i guess they didn't really address (where is his family?)

but now you're saying that there's 3 Docs? now i'm even more confused than i was before heh
  • edited May 2011
    shockme17 wrote: »
    whaaaat? when did doc go into the future to take something to live longer? in BTTF3, he was living in old west hillside for sometime before marty found him, and then he had a few kids with clara.. which i guess they didn't really address (where is his family?)

but now you're saying that there's 3 Docs? now i'm even more confused than i was before heh

Back to the Future 1: Doc died. Marty messes around with history, Doc lives and travels into the future. While in the future, he had surgery/whatever done to 'take 30 years off his life' and increased his life expectancy. He mentions this in Back to the Future 2.

So, first Doc is dead. Second one travelled to the future, then to the past, where he was killed. Marty's intervention created a third Doc (note: I'm not including 'unseen' Docs like the one in the future Hill Valley newspaper). Doc marries Clara, creates time train.

Games: Doc is arrested, Marty saves. They go around time a little, accidently change Doc's history, Doc disappears. New Doc is created, who Marty meets as First Citizen Brown. This is the fourth Emmett Brown Marty has personally seen.

I think Doc disappeared in Episode 3 because he attempted to time travel while his life was being 'rewritten'. You know how Marty kept fading out when he did something that would cause his history to change or to be erased? Travelling to his 'present' would appear to cause him to disappear. He only ever stayed in the past when that was happening, so he had more chances to set things back the way they were.

Doc, however, noticed it was happening to him too late, and then the DeLorean jumped into the future, so Doc was instantly rewritten instead of being given the chance to set things right.
  • edited May 2011

Remember in BTTF2 when Doc peeled off his "face"?

Doc: "Forgive the disguise Marty, but I was afraid you wouldn't recognize me. I went to a rejuvenation clinic and got an all-natural overhaul. They took out a few wrinkles here and there, changed the blood, added a good thirty to forty years to my life. They also replaced my spleen and colon."

Basically, this added to the time he spent in the 1880's after BTTF3 put Doc in his late 90's. Since First Citizen Brown didn't invent the time machine and travel to 2015 to get the same procedure, he would die sometime between his late 70's to 80's from natural causes. Now, had Doc and Marty remained in 1931, Doc would've started fading, but because they passed the point where young Emmett's life jumped the track he was destined for(ie. the Hill Valley Expo), Doc's fading happened almost instantaneously. This is basically what would've happened if Marty had failed in getting his parents back together but still got the DeLorean to travel back to 1985. It would've arrived in 1985 empty.

As for Clara, Jules, and Verne, they're presumably back in the 19th century or whenever Doc decided to settle. After the incident that caused Doc to disappear, it's almost guaranteed that they've been erased from existence as well. This is supported by the mention of Clayton Ravine. Now, since the time machine Marty's using is a temporal duplicate and not subject to the same rules as the original(ie. not dependent on Doc inventing it by 1985) it remained intact, along with Marty and Doc's trips to 1931, hence why everyone remembers Carl Sagan. Presumably, Clara, Jules, and Verne will return once Marty guarantees Emmett's destiny and Doc returns.

Hope this clears up some questions for you! :D
  • edited May 2011
    wow. thanks for all the help guys!

maybe i skipped over it, but i wish the game would have explained this better.

moreso- i wish the game was more like "choose your own adventure"- i'd like to see what happens when the 2 docs (or emmett and doc) see each other and the world explodes =)
  • edited May 2011
    wow. thanks for all the help guys!

maybe i skipped over it, but i wish the game would have explained this better.

moreso- i wish the game was more like "choose your own adventure"- i'd like to see what happens when the 2 docs (or emmett and doc) see each other and the world explodes =)

The explanation is in Episode 1, when you talk to "Old Doc" sitting in jail back in 1931. Somewhere in one of the dialog options, there's a line about the time machine being a temporal duplicate.

The rest of the information regarding how many "Doc's" exist, you just need to watch the trilogy of movies :)
  • edited May 2011
    The other Marty in the FCB timeline is at Math Camp, basically. Because he's such a square.
  • The explanation is in Episode 1, when you talk to "Old Doc" sitting in jail back in 1931. Somewhere in one of the dialog options, there's a line about the time machine being a temporal duplicate.

The rest of the information regarding how many "Doc's" exist, you just need to watch the trilogy of movies :)

IT was never revealed if Doc got duplicated with the time machine.
  • edited May 2011
    IT was never revealed if Doc got duplicated with the time machine.

Yeah, I'm hoping we find out something about that in the final episode.
  • edited May 2011
    There is no alternate Marty. I don't get how people can't get this.

The series has stated numerous times that if you go back to the past and change something, therby transforming your world into an alternate one there is no alternate version of you. You are the only version of you, and you have all your memories before you changed things. Otherwise Marty would have had an alternate version of himself waiting for him when he came back to the present in the first movie.
  • edited May 2011
    I think the original Doc disappeared because his past was directly changed, unlike Marty, whose past was indirectly changed (through his parents and other ancestors).
  • edited May 2011
    ShadowX81 wrote: »

The series has stated numerous times that if you go back to the past and change something, therby transforming your world into an alternate one there is no alternate version of you. You are the only version of you, and you have all your memories before you changed things. Otherwise Marty would have had an alternate version of himself waiting for him when he came back to the present in the first movie.

They can't replace themselves unless their other selves had time traveled. That's why in the first movie there are two Martys until the other one goes to 1955. In this timeline First Citizen Brown never built the time machine, so Marty never time traveled. The other Marty is at Math Camp. (Ask George in the game.)
  • edited May 2011
    Even if you don't believe in the theory that alternate Marty existed in both the Biffhorrific Timeline and the Citizen Brown Timeline - if we assume that the other Martys never time travelled, than "our" Marty is about a week or so older than the other Martys. So that's one reason to believe that the other Martys were there - at least, momentarily.
  • edited May 2011
    No, he dies because he was dead from natural age at this point in the new timeline.

Short version, imagine he takes the body of his "self" in the new timeline, but keeps his memories. (If the new self still does time travel, he will hit 88 mph and disapear (marty at the end of bttf1), else the new one will simply disapear (explained in the script), ).

When marty came back from 55, he took the body (and life) of marty who was always had rich parents, who disapeared. And he kept he memories of his original life.

When Biff came back to 2015, he took the body of his "rich self from 2015" and kept his memories, but since his rich self had been shot in the chest in 1990, he dies (took the body of a dead man).

Doc is at least 90, should be dead, but isn't thanks to the clinic.
    He takes the body of 90 citizen brown, a dead man since he never went to the clinic, so he dies, same as biff.
  • edited May 2011
    Nobody is taking anybody's body. ;) Watch the movies again.
  • edited May 2011
    flobo wrote: »
    Short version, imagine he takes the body of his "self" in the new timeline, but keeps his memories. (If the new self still does time travel, he will hit 88 mph and disapear (marty at the end of bttf1), else the new one will simply disapear (explained in the script), ).

No, that Marty still needs to go to 1955 in order for the new Marty to come back to 1985 in the first place.
  • edited May 2011
    Not "taking" like you mean it, but their body become tthe same of the body of their counterpart in this timeline.

@Cubbie
    Rich Biff was killed by a bullet in the chest in the 1990, and he feels the bullet when he comes back in 2015 and dies (hold his chest).

There is a deleted scene in the script of part 2 in which 1995 Doc, because of BTTF2's marty hurt himself on the leg. The next scene, i remember we see 1985 Doc holding his leg in pain.

Whatever had hapenned to the body of your couterpart in the new timeline created, happens to you too, explaining Biff and Doc's death in btff2 and thegame part 2.

EDIT: @supmandude85: No, this marty doesn't go to 1955. In bttf2 , it's clearly seen that the marty in 1955 is still "original timeline with loser parents" marty, this "rich marty" never reached 1955, he disapeared.
  • edited May 2011
    flobo wrote: »
    Not "taking" like you mean it, but their body become tthe same of the body of their counterpart in this timeline.

Rich Biff was killed by a bullet in the chest in the 1990, and he feels the bullet when he comes back in 2015 and dies (hold his chest).

There is a deleted scene in the script of part 2 in which 1995 Doc, because of BTTF2's marty hurt himself on the leg. The next scene, i remember we see 1985 Doc holding his leg in pain.

Whatever had hapenned to the body of your couterpart in the new timeline created, happens to you too, explaining Biff and Doc's death in btff2 and thegame part 2.

EDIT: @supmandude85: No, this marty doesn't go to 1955. In bttf2 , it's clearly seen that the marty in 1955 is still "original timeline with looser parents" marty, this "rich marty" never reached 1955, he disapeared.
    Never mind I misunderstood it as "The time tavel didn't happen, Marty just remembers it." I guess your right about that being the Timeline A Marty in 1955, thought. My mistake.
  • They can't replace themselves unless their other selves had time traveled. That's why in the first movie there are two Martys until the other one goes to 1955. In this timeline First Citizen Brown never built the time machine, so Marty never time traveled. The other Marty is at Math Camp. (Ask George in the game.)

No the reason there are two marty's is because the second one came back before the first one left. Same reason why in part II there are 2 martys in '55
    bttf4444 wrote: »
    Even if you don't believe in the theory that alternate Marty existed in both the Biffhorrific Timeline and the Citizen Brown Timeline - if we assume that the other Martys never time travelled, than "our" Marty is about a week or so older than the other Martys. So that's one reason to believe that the other Martys were there - at least, momentarily.

Marty's spent about 2.5 weeks of his life time travelling; 11 days in 1955 (7 in part I, 4 in part III), 5 in 1885, plus 1931
  • edited May 2011
    No the reason there are two marty's is because the second one came back before the first one left. Same reason why in part II there are 2 martys in '55

Marty's spent about 2.5 weeks of his life time travelling; 11 days in 1955 (7 in part I, 4 in part III), 5 in 1885, plus 1931

You Forgot the brief time he spent in 2015
  • edited May 2011
    You Forgot the brief time he spent in 2015

"About 2.5 weeks", meaning including the 12 hours or so, that he spent in Hill Valley/Hilldale 2015.
  • edited May 2011
    I should have phrased that better. That's what I meant.
  • "About 2.5 weeks", meaning including the 12 hours or so, that he spent in Hill Valley/Hilldale 2015.

Not even. He spent exactly 3 hours of his life in 2015; arrived at 4:28, left at 7:28. They actually skipped over time for that trip; left around 11 AM and returned to 1985 at 9 PM.
  • edited May 2011
    Yeah i know i just needed that to be included LOLhuge fan here
  • edited May 2011
    I dont know about doc. But New Marty is in 2011 posting on the Telltale Forums.
  • edited May 2011
    Shadowknight, how do you get that Doc is in his late 90's at the end of BTTF3? If he was 17 in 1931, that puts his birth year at 1914. So that means in 1985, he was around 71. Which means that for the majority of BTTF3, having spent a few months in 1885, he couldn't have been more than 72. Now obviously he and Clara get married between when the locomotive crashes and when we next see them back in 1985. And given how much in love they obviously were, I very much doubt their courtship and engagement would have lasted much more than a year, so let's say Doc was 73 when they got married. Then there's Jules and Verne, who when we see them at the end of part 3 don't appear to be any older than 10 or so. Now Doc and Clara both seem somewhat old-fashioned when it comes to matters of love, so I'm going to assume that neither Jules nor Verne were born or even conceived out of wedlock. But Doc and Clara are very much in love, so it's doubtful they would have waited too long after they were married to consummate their affections, so let's assume that Jules or Verne, depending on which one is older, was born about a year give or take a couple of months after Doc and Clara were married, putting Doc at about 74 at the time of the birth of his first child. And if we continue with the assumption that Jules or Verne, whichever one is older, is about 10 at the end of the third movie, that means Doc would be about 84 at the time.
  • edited May 2011
    Shadowknight, how do you get that Doc is in his late 90's at the end of BTTF3? If he was 17 in 1931, that puts his birth year at 1914. So that means in 1985, he was around 71. Which means that for the majority of BTTF3, having spent a few months in 1885, he couldn't have been more than 72. Now obviously he and Clara get married between when the locomotive crashes and when we next see them back in 1985. And given how much in love they obviously were, I very much doubt their courtship and engagement would have lasted much more than a year, so let's say Doc was 73 when they got married. Then there's Jules and Verne, who when we see them at the end of part 3 don't appear to be any older than 10 or so. Now Doc and Clara both seem somewhat old-fashioned when it comes to matters of love, so I'm going to assume that neither Jules nor Verne were born or even conceived out of wedlock. But Doc and Clara are very much in love, so it's doubtful they would have waited too long after they were married to consummate their affections, so let's assume that Jules or Verne, depending on which one is older, was born about a year give or take a couple of months after Doc and Clara were married, putting Doc at about 74 at the time of the birth of his first child. And if we continue with the assumption that Jules or Verne, whichever one is older, is about 10 at the end of the third movie, that means Doc would be about 84 at the time.

I said Doc was in his 90's in the game. Going by your calculations and the fact that Doc and Clara were deciding where to send Jules and Verne to college, then he's in 90's.
  • I said Doc was in his 90's in the game. Going by your calculations and the fact that Doc and Clara were deciding where to send Jules and Verne to college, then he's in 90's.

Keep in mind we also don't know how long doc was gone for at the end of part I. You could assume he only went to 2015 or that he did more time travelling. For what its worth i dont think he went anywhere else except possibly further to the future. He says the old west is his favourite historical year so presumably that would have been one of his first planned visits.

But he does spend at least 10 years in the 1800s near the end of part III. Jules looks around 10. We dont know when he is born but clara doesn't look like she can be over 50 so it couldnt have been THAT long.
  • edited May 2011

marty did have an alternate self but he wasn't waiting for him, he went back in time to 1955 just like original marty did, alternate versions of marty can be created, he just happened to change things for himself once, which created an alternate marty, then the alternate made the same trip the original did
  • edited May 2011
    When Biff came back to 2015, he took the body of his "rich self from 2015" and kept his memories, but since his rich self had been shot in the chest in 1990, he dies (took the body of a dead man).

I hate to break it to you but Biff Erased from existence in 2015..it shows it..
  • edited May 2011

I hate to break it to you but Biff Erased from existence in 2015..it shows it..

I saw that on the dvd deleted scenes. I wish they had kept that in the film.

I always thought in the end of ep 2 the original doc turns into citizen brown, but then shouldn't it be the same with marty? But then we'd have no story because there would be no one to fix the past.
  • edited May 2011
    techie775 wrote: »
    I saw that on the dvd deleted scenes. I wish they had kept that in the film.

Well, apparently it confused test audiences.:confused:
  • edited May 2011
    Original Doc doesn't really turn into Citizen Brown, any more than Biff turns into Rich Biff, they just meet that persons same demise. Biff simply dies in 2015 not explicitly of a bullet wound, but of just not existing, however he may have felt some kind of phantom bullet in his chest who knows. But Doc being much older would have met the likely fate of Citizen Brown which was a. die naturally but earlier or b. get bumped off and die much much earlier. Either way technically Marty would have been greeted with two 10-20 year old decomposing corpses of a man and dog as soon as he passed the no return point, but thats a little too dark for back to the future and way too many maggots for TellTale to animate.
  • edited June 2011
    Well, apparently it confused test audiences.:confused:

And having biff moaning and groaning when he got out of the time machine in 2015 didn't? I never understood why he was doing that until I heard what what was originally planned to happen.
  • edited June 2011
    I originally thought he winded himself with his cane until I saw that deleted scene. I thought he was just over acting a bit lol :D
  • edited June 2011
    I seem to remember Robert Zemeckis said in an interview that one of his only regrets about doing BTTF II and III back to back was that since he was busy working on III, he didn't get to have as much input on the editing of II as he would have liked. I wonder if he would have left the scene of Biff disappearing in if he'd had more input.
  • edited May 2012

marty did have an alternate version of him, a different him that grew up with cool and successful parents, then he did the exact same thing as the other marty and went back to 1955 and was replaced by the original marty. It was an alternate version of him so what are you talking about?
  • edited May 2012
    The way I see it, the whole issue of alternate selves can be explained simply like this-

Situation A: The alternate version of the time traveler makes the same trip back as the original, thus allowing the original to 'replace' him/her and essentially become the same person. This is what happens to Marty in the Lone Pine timeline, and all subsequent timelines based on it.

Situation B: The alternate version of the time traveler DOES NOT make the same trip back as the original (usually because the time machine itself is not invented), and thus is still in the present when the original returns, having not gone anywhere. This is what happens to Marty and Doc in the various alternate timelines. In most cases, its unknown how long the originals can continue to co-exist with their alternates; its only in the case of the Citizen Brown timeline in Ep 3 that the Original Doc fades almost instantly.

There is a third possibility, according to the original script of BTTF1 that if the alternate self does not time travel himself, then he will spontaneously disappear, be pulled through a 'space-time warp', and end up in the past as his original self.
  • sn939 wrote: »
    The way I see it, the whole issue of alternate selves can be explained simply like this-

Situation A: The alternate version of the time traveler makes the same trip back as the original, thus allowing the original to 'replace' him/her and essentially become the same person. This is what happens to Marty in the Lone Pine timeline, and all subsequent timelines based on it.

Situation B: The alternate version of the time traveler DOES NOT make the same trip back as the original (usually because the time machine itself is not invented), and thus is still in the present when the original returns, having not gone anywhere. This is what happens to Marty and Doc in the various alternate timelines. In most cases, its unknown how long the originals can continue to co-exist with their alternates; its only in the case of the Citizen Brown timeline in Ep 3 that the Original Doc fades almost instantly.

There is a third possibility, according to the original script of BTTF1 that if the alternate self does not time travel himself, then he will spontaneously disappear, be pulled through a 'space-time warp', and end up in the past as his original self.

It really doesn't make sense for 2 of the same person to co-exist in the same timeline at the same age. As of right now in the trilogy and game the only time we see the other self paradox is when someone travels to the future or past OR when one leaves via time travel. Had marty remained in any of the alternate timelines it wouldnt make sense for him to remain there with an other self. And remember the lone pine/eastwood timeline IS an alternate timeline and the only 'other' marty is the one near the end of part one where he returns prior to leaving
  • edited May 2012
    It really doesn't make sense for 2 of the same person to co-exist in the same timeline at the same age. As of right now in the trilogy and game the only time we see the other self paradox is when someone travels to the future or past OR when one leaves via time travel. Had marty remained in any of the alternate timelines it wouldnt make sense for him to remain there with an other self. And remember the lone pine/eastwood timeline IS an alternate timeline and the only 'other' marty is the one near the end of part one where he returns prior to leaving

It does make sense if the alternate self didn't time travel.

And they wouldn't be EXACTLY the same age.

In BTTF2, the Marty of the Hell Valley timeline would have been at school in Switzerland. He likely wouldn't even have KNOWN Doc, let alone time traveled.

'Our' Marty (the Twin Pines/Lone Pine Marty) is actually over a week older than Hell Valley Marty owing to his time travels.

And 'our' Marty spent a few hours at least co-existing with his alternate self.

The movie DOESN'T answer the question of when, if ever, would 'our' Marty start to fade from existence since the alternate Marty hadn't time traveled.

Of course, going by the original explanation intended by the Bobs, the alternate Marty would simply have disappeared from his boarding school on the morning of October 26th 1985, pulled through a 'space-time warp' and been deposited as 'our' Marty in 1955. Then again the original script involved the time machine being a refrigerator, so one wonders how much one can use from there to interpret the actual trilogy...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.