Books: a literary discussion

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Just got these books when I was in England. So now I have something to read again.

Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm not sure how many of those who enjoy BTTF actually also get the analogies with Jules Verne but nevertheless i got reminded of him so here is one suggestion. Jules Verne's shortstory "Ein Tag aus dem Leben eines amerikanischen Journalisten im Jahre 2889", part of this or that anthology.

220px-Verne-29-stoleti.JPG
  • edited February 2011

I did not know there was another one of these. I need to get myself to a bookstore, that is, if there are any left by tomorrow.
  • edited April 2011
    If anyone is interested, Amazon announced yesterday that they are working with Overdrive.com to, by the end of the year, allow people to borrow Kindle-supported ebooks from your local library. As far as I know, being able to borrow ebooks from the library is a primary concern people have when deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle versus another ebook reader.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1552678
    Amazon today announced Kindle Library Lending, a new feature launching later this year that will allow Kindle customers to borrow Kindle books from over 11,000 libraries in the United States. Kindle Library Lending will be available for all generations of Kindle devices and free Kindle reading apps.
    "We're excited that millions of Kindle customers will be able to borrow Kindle books from their local libraries," said Jay Marine, Director, Amazon Kindle. [...]

Customers will be able to check out a Kindle book from their local library and start reading on any Kindle device or free Kindle app for Android, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, PC, Mac, BlackBerry, or Windows Phone. If a Kindle book is checked out again or that book is purchased from Amazon, all of a customer's annotations and bookmarks will be preserved.

"We're doing a little something extra here," Marine continued. "Normally, making margin notes in library books is a big no-no. But we're extending our Whispersync technology so that you can highlight and add margin notes to Kindle books you check out from your local library. Your notes will not show up when the next patron checks out the book. But if you check out the book again, or subsequently buy it, your notes will be there just as you left them, perfectly Whispersynced."
    [...]

Amazon is working with OverDrive, the leading provider of digital content solutions for over 11,000 public and educational libraries in the United States, to bring a seamless library borrowing experience to Kindle customers. "We are excited to be working with Amazon to offer Kindle Library Lending to the millions of customers who read on Kindle and Kindle apps," said Steve Potash, CEO, OverDrive. "We hear librarians and patrons rave about Kindle, so we are thrilled that we can be part of bringing library books to the unparalleled experience of reading on Kindle."
  • edited April 2011
    That's good for them. Borrowing library books is probably what I've used my ebook reader for the most, so I can imagine why it would increase their sales.
  • edited April 2011
    some of my favorites ^_^

The wizard if oz (series) There are 40 books in all I own the first 14 in hardcover, and the next 19 in paperback, the final 7 I don't own, cuz they suck

anything by david eddings (except "the dreamers") His first 2 series' were epic works of fantasy fiction on the scope of lord of the rings (which was a series I couldn't get involved in)

anything by diana wynne jones (the howl's moving castle books, the chrestomancy series)

anything by agatha christie (there are 80+ books)

sherlock holmes

anything that has to do with fairy tales (grimms, anderson, 1001 arabian nights) I'm currently reading the 1001 nights, theyre amazing!

anything that has to do with ancient mythology

the neverending story (i'm sad that theres only 1 book, there need to be more)

the enchanted forest chronicles (look them up, theyre great) humorous tales of a princess who goes looking for a dragon to capture her

anything by rick riordan (tweenage books, about greek/roman/egyptian mythology) I'm dieing to find out what mythology he writes about next ^_^

the xanth books (by piers anthony) they often get a little pervy, but they're amazing books, if you like puns...

I also try to read the classics, but if I can't get involved in the story I don't read it, I don't see the point in forcing yourself to read through a book, even if it's a classic...
  • edited May 2011
    I've been checking repeatedly for months to see if Drew Karpyshyn(lead writer of Mass Effect)'s Star Wars: Darth Bane book series had been released on ebook, to no avail. After having clicked the "Request this for Kindle from the publisher" link on Amazon at least 3 times with no word as to the effect, on May 6th I emailed Drew to ask him about it:
    Drew,

I've read Darth Bane: Path of Destruction in the past and I like it very much. Yesterday, I completed Mass Effect for the first time and during the credits it says "Lead Writer - Drew Karpyshyn." "Ooh, I know that name," I said. It got me thinking and I then went to look into buying the next book in the Darth Bane series. The problem is that I now have a Kindle and I genuinely do enjoy reading books on it whenever possible. However, none of the Darth Bane books have been released on Kindle.

I was hoping you could get with your publisher in an effort to remedy that. I really do like your work and would like to see your novels in ebook format.

Thank you,

David Troutman
    Well, not 15 minutes ago, I got a reply back from Drew Karpyshyn himself:
    Hey, David.

I'm happy to report that the Darth Bane books are finally being relesed on
    Kindle... but not until June 28.

Until then you could check out my Mass Effect novels (if you haven't
    already) - they're on Kindle right now.

The first novel, Mass Effect: Revelation, is a prequel set 18 years before
    the game. The second book, Mass Effect: Ascension, takes place a few
    months after the events of the first game and introduces characters and
    locations featured in the second game, but it's still a stand alone story.
    The third novel, Mass Effect: Retribution continues the story from the
    first two books.

Drew
    Yay!
  • edited May 2011
    Just started on the first book in the Hellgate: London trilogy, and I really like it.
  • edited May 2011
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    Yay!
    Let's hope that means other stores, too, considering the first Google result for "Darth Bane ePub" is a torrent link.
  • edited May 2011
    I'm currently trying to read "Tunnels"... but I don't have the time unfortunately. And I kind of hit a dull moment in the story. Is it a good book? Or should I move on?
    books?id=wHmuNwAACAAJ&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&l=220
  • edited May 2011
    I'm currently trying to read "Tunnels"... but I don't have the time unfortunately. And I kind of hit a dull moment in the story. Is it a good book? Or should I move on?

I've read that. I'm the type of person to read a book I've started all the way through no matter if I like it or not, so I can tell you that I thought it was generally quite dull all the way through. Slow paced and not too much happening. Then all of a sudden it seems to kick off (not much, but more than the rest of the story at least) at the end where it stops at a cliff hanger meaning you need to get the next one to find out what happens. Overall, my opinion is skip it. I certainly don't plan to read my copy again, and I won't be getting myself the sequal.
  • edited May 2011
    On the e-reader front, B&N's new Nook has been announced with a longer battery life than that of the Kindle 3, and they seem to be backing it up with pretty good testing criteria. Amazon, in response, changed how they measure battery life by halving the daily read time they used to reach the "1 month" measurement.
  • edited May 2011
    A single charge lasts up to two months with wireless off based upon a half-hour of daily reading time. If you read for one hour a day, you will get battery life of up to one month.
    And if you use it for fifteen minutes a day you'll get three months, etc.

Shouldn't that be four months?
  • edited May 2011
    It should be, but they went with the simple logical fallacy "halving it added a month, halving it again should add ANOTHER month" because, I dunno, they didn't drink enough coffee or actually think that one through.

I've read through about half of The Last Wish(the first piece of the main Witcher canon) over the past few days, and so far it's pretty excellent. It hits all the right tones for me, stark and gritty, witty and sarcastic, realistic and fantastical. The prose of the english translation is excellent, and I've found myself entirely drawn in by this world crafted around Geralt the mutant monster-hunter.

Also, I just figured out that free samples of books in the Nook ebook store are based on the relative size of the rest of the book. As a result, an ebook that is a collection of the entire Song of Ice and fire series has a free ample of 375 pages!
  • edited May 2011
    Wow, that's a pretty cool free sample. It's what, the first book in the series?
  • edited May 2011
    I bought this when it came out. Still waiting for it to show up in the mail. It should arrive this week or next. I can't wait.

Bruce Campbell's autobiography is still the best I've ever read. Hilarious.
  • edited May 2011
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    I've read that. it was generally quite dull

Ah, I see... Thanks!
    I'll try to see if it goes anywhere interesting. More likely, I may drop it.
  • edited May 2011
    I've decided to start getting into books again. I've started reading "American Gods", bought a book light and Pre-ordered the final book of the inheritance cycle "Inheritance". When I finish American gods, I shall be re-reading Eragon/Eldest/Brisingr in preparation.
    4407.jpg
    416m-ilnz8l-_sl500_aa300_.jpg
    Inheritance%2BBook%2BCover.jpg
  • edited May 2011
    So many books...so little time...

My floor already has a mountain of unread books on it, and yet I find myself constantly compelled to buy more as well as visit the library as often as possible. Hopefully, I will be able to complete all my literary obligations by the end of the summer...
  • edited May 2011
    I really enjoy listening to the Harry Potter audiobooks as read by Stephen Fry. I have the whole set on mp3. :)

It had been a while since I last heard Jim Dale's reading of the books, so I decided to listen to it for a bit, just to see if I'm not being fair in my preference of Fry over Dale.

...but it turns out that I just confirmed for myself that Stephen Fry is indeed far superior.

I mean, seriously. compare these two:

Jim Dale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeAzVwGdhNw&t=6m50s

Stephen Fry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mIjBuu5L58&t=4m03s

Hands down, Fry is better. The twins mocking Percy isn't even funny at all in the Dale version.
    Do a search for on youtube for "Cassetteboy VS. Harry Potter", and that notion will change. Not safe for work or children.
  • edited May 2011
    So many books...so little time...

My floor already has a mountain of unread books on it, and yet I find myself constantly compelled to buy more as well as visit the library as often as possible. Hopefully, I will be able to complete all my literary obligations by the end of the summer...

Literary obligations?

Also, if your floor is filled with books, wouldn't it be tidier to own an ebook reader?
  • edited May 2011
    Literary obligations?

Also, if your floor is filled with books, wouldn't it be tidier to own an ebook reader?

I have promised both myself and a number of people to read certain books and the summer is the best time to do this. And yes, an ebook reader would be tidier, but it would also be more expensive. Right now, I am utilizing the library, which is free!

But I really don't mind clutter, it's just an expressive way of showing how many books I have to get through!
  • edited November 2011
    My favorites:

Every Agatha Christie novel
    The Sherlockian by Graham Moore
    Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton
    The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammet
    The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
    World War Z by Max Brooks
    Every Sherlock Holmes story
    From Russia With Love by Ian Fleming
  • edited November 2011
    Reading the Steve Jobs autobiography. Man was a bit of a bratty crybaby spoilsport wanker.
  • edited November 2011
    Just finished the Hellgate London Trilogy and it was quite good, the only thing I can say that was bad about it was that the ending was rushed.

Not really reading at the moment, but I have started on The Innocent Mage.
    But I need to get my reading drive back, as I just don't feel like reading. :)
  • edited November 2011
    How has no one brought this up yet?
    images_mm117399671_that-is-all-john-hodgman-hardcover-cover-art.jpg
  • edited November 2011
    How has no one brought this up yet?
    images_mm117399671_that-is-all-john-hodgman-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

BORING.

Now here's a great book. A masterpiece even.

wOgGx.jpg
  • edited November 2011
    ಠ_ಠ
  • edited November 2011
    I remember Frog and Toad. That just brings back memories...

My brother always preferred Jog Frog Jog, though.
  • edited November 2011
    Oh, I remember Frog and Toad from when I was a kid. My grandma had a VHS of it, which had, among two normal animated shorts...this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K9zCQxgMVw
  • edited November 2011
    You're all reading the wrong book about talking toads.

thewindinthewillows.jpg

Sort it out.
  • edited April 2012
    I just realized that Pottermore.com is now open, and subsequently Harry Potter is officially available to buy on ebook!

Now, there is one thing I need to mention: The Pottermore website does sell different versions (translations) of Harry Potter, but you can only buy the ebook and audiobook versions made for your country of residence. This means that if you want the Stephen Fry version of the HP audiobooks (as Stephen Fry is far superior to Jim Dale) you have to set your country of residence to the UK.
  • edited April 2012
    I'm reading this:

Gf2Nl.jpg
  • edited April 2012
    Fear and loathing in las vegas?

I'm reading "The Last of the Templars" as my final book in the six book challenge. The blurb gave me the distinct impression it was similar to the first Broken sword game, in that the cult is rising again and they travel across the world to stop them. Or something.
  • edited April 2012
    Friar wrote: »
    Fear and loathing in las vegas?

Correct.
  • edited April 2012
    Yay!

I have no idea what that book was, by the way. I just asked google. :p
  • edited April 2012
    Read it, if you're into counter culture insanity and dangerously mind bending chemicals.
  • edited April 2012
    Stephen-Fry-s-Incomplete-and-Utter-History-of-Classical-Music.jpg

S'alright, much like books about food, drink and travel, you'd rather just experience the subject matter than listen to somebody prattle on about it. Even if they are as eloquent witty and charming as Stephen Fry.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I've been reading books on my iPad lately and have been downloading free epubs for public domain books that I have always wanted to read (or read when I was a kid or a teenager and mostly have forgotten). Project Gutenberg is great for getting epubs for popular public domain books, like Sherlock Holmes, or A Connecticut Yankee in King Author's Court, or A Christmas Carol. It's not so great for less popular books though.

I've been scouring the internet looking for an epub for A Blazing World by Margaret Cavendish, and the only one I could find was one for sale on iTunes for $0.99. The story is available all over the internet in HTML format, so paying $1 seemed kind of silly.

That was until I decided to make an ePub of it myself. Egads, what a pain in the neck that turned out to be (probably because I went the route of doing all the HTML by hand in Wordpad rather than using an HTML editor). After two days of sorting out all the errors in my HTML code, it's done now though. So I can finally read the story with iBooks, but now I kind of wish I wasn't so cheap and paid the dollar to save myself the aggravation.
  • edited January 2013
    I'm reading this:

AHA Presidential Addresses
    Everyman His Own Historian

By Carl Becker,
    President of the American Historical Association, 1931
Sign in to comment in this discussion.