About the "Squinky" bit in Chapter 5...

When Guybrush tells the Treasure Hunter that he met up with Galeb at the Crossroads, the Treasure Hunter responds, "That's odd, [Galeb] told me his name was Squinky." I'm sure that is a reference to when Guybrush was called Squinky, but I can't remember in which Monkey Island video game he was called "Squinky". Do you know? :confused:

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Debbie82 wrote: »
    When Guybrush tells the Treasure Hunter that he met up with Galeb at the Crossroads, the Treasure Hunter responds, "That's odd, [Galeb] told me his name was Squinky." I'm sure that is a reference to when Guybrush was called Squinky, but I can't remember in which Monkey Island video game he was called "Squinky". Do you know? :confused:

It's not in MI1, but in MI2 you can call your self Squinky in the spitting contest, in Curse Guybrush can tell King Andre that his name is Squinky and in Escape Herman calls Guybrush Squinky.

Hope that helps. :)
  • edited June 2011
    Actually, it originates in MI1, where you can, while speaking with the Melee Island lookout, ask him to "Call me Squinky."
  • edited June 2011
    ATMachine wrote: »
    Actually, it originates in MI1, where you can, while speaking with the Melee Island lookout, ask him to "Call me Squinky."

I get it now. The "Squinky" name originated in Secret and would become a running gag in other Monkey Island games that followed the first one. I understand. Thanks! :)
  • edited June 2011
    ATMachine wrote: »

Ah that's right! So it's in all of them! lol, almost got it down! :P
  • edited June 2011
    I hate to keep this up, but I've got a lot of burning questions to ask. In which Monkey Island game before Tales did these originate:

1. Guybrush asking the Voodoo Lady for her name?
    2. Guybrush saying that he "left it with my other pair of pants (or noun, whatever)"?

I don't know if both of these originated either in Secret or LeChuck's Revenge or whatever. Do you know? :confused:
  • edited June 2011
    You know ... I have been playing MI games for nearly 20 years usually at least once a year... and I had never noticed Squinky in all the games... Just goes to show a 20 year old game can still surprise you.
  • edited June 2011
    I hate to keep this up, but I've got a lot of burning questions to ask. In which Monkey Island game before Tales did these originate:

2. Guybrush saying that he "left it with my other pair of pants (or noun, whatever)"?

I don't know if both of these originated either in Secret or LeChuck's Revenge or whatever. Do you know? :confused:

1st one was in CMI no one even called her Voodoo lady in 1 and 2.
    2nd I think was in 1 when trying to loot Elaine's mansion and saying your reservations in your other pants.
  • edited June 2011

I believe #1 originated in CMI, where you can ask the Voodoo Lady something like "You've helped so much and I still don't even know your name." (And for the record, Guybrush does call her "Voodoo Lady" in MI2, IIRC when thanking her for the voodoo doll of Largo.)

And I think #2 originated in MI2 (that was the game in which you needed a party invitation to enter Elaine's mansion). There are also jokes about Guybrush having left his ID card in his other pants when he tries to buy grog. Correct me if I'm wrong on this one, though.

EDIT-- Hmm, maybe #2 did originate in MI1 after all; I'd forgotten about the "appointments for looting the Governor's mansion" joke, which is where coolsome says the gag first showed up.
  • edited June 2011
    Well, thanks for your help, coolsome and ATMachine. :)
  • edited June 2011
    The REAL question is when did Guybrush develop his intense fear and hatred of porcelain?
  • edited June 2011
    If I recall GT said some passing remark in MI2 and then they really ramped it up in MI3.
  • edited June 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    If I recall GT said some passing remark in MI2 and then they really ramped it up in MI3.

In MI 2 he can look at Porcelain in Elaine's room with out freaking out and just wont pick it up cos its useless or something. MI3 was the first to mention it with the explanation "Its a long story" which IMO makes the joke more funny.
  • edited June 2011
    sjtfly wrote: »
    The REAL question is when did Guybrush develop his intense fear and hatred of porcelain?

It because Fester Shinetop hit him with a porcelain vase in MI1 or something. I was said in a interview but I forget the exact details.
  • edited June 2011
    Grojak wrote: »
    It because Fester Shinetop hit him with a porcelain vase in MI1 or something. I was said in a interview but I forget the exact details.

Actually, it was the other way around (Guybrush hits Shinetop with the vase before returning it in its place). And Bill Tiller says that the "porcelain" thing was "just a joke".
  • NSMNSM
    edited June 2011
    This interview with Chris Purvis (one of the writers on CMI) has the following explanation for the porcelain thing:
    Bill Tiller told us you were responsible for the whole "porcelain joke", a gag that has plagued the Monkey Island community since 1997 - can you tell us why Guybrush is afraid of porcelain?
    Really? I always thought it had something to do with the time in Monkey 1 where Fester Shinetop hit Guybrush on the head with a vase.

I kinda agree though that they just thought it was a funny thing for Guybrush to fear.
  • edited June 2011
    NSM wrote: »
    This interview with Chris Purvis (one of the writers on CMI) has the following explanation for the porcelain thing:

I kinda agree though that they just thought it was a funny thing for Guybrush to fear.

Yay I was right! I thought so :P

No biggie though. That still doesn't make sense, like Deb said Guybrush hit Shintop, not the other way round.
  • edited June 2011
    BTW, I hate to bring this up, but in which chapter of Tales of Monkey Island does Guybrush say, "I love the smell of treasure in the morning"?
  • edited June 2011
    Well... The treasure hunt, so it's a part of the Launch of the Screaming Narwhal.
    The original word is Napalm, I think, but I don't know the name of the film.
    But really, I think that this reference is really getting old.
  • edited June 2011
    coolsome wrote: »
    1st one was in CMI no one even called her Voodoo lady in 1 and 2.
    2nd I think was in 1 when trying to loot Elaine's mansion and saying your reservations in your other pants.

Actually, Guybrush called her "Voodoo Lady" in 2 when he thanks her for making a voodoo doll of Largo.
  • edited June 2011
    Sarendor wrote: »
    Well... The treasure hunt, so it's a part of the Launch of the Screaming Narwhal.
    The original word is Napalm, I think, but I don't know the name of the film.
    But really, I think that this reference is really getting old.

It's a reference to the movie Apocalypse Now.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.